Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

You never forget your first time – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TresTres Posts: 2,648
    he missed a trick not having a vote before he put himself forward to be coronated - flubbed the chance to future proof the monarchy for the rest of the 21st century.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    edited April 2023

This should have been my first comment today: Happy Easter to all of you who are celebrating it, today.

The last nine words are unnecessary.
    Politeness, rather than workery I’d say.
    It's like saying Happy Coronation day, to those who are celebrating.

It's not a unifying national event or message if you caveat it - so don't.
    Since when did you become World King?

You enjoy your Coronation, and I hope you have a great day along with everyone else who wants to have a great day, but don't expect me to participate in your "unifying national event". We had one of those last year, celebrating the life of HMQ and I paid my respects fully.

I can caveat the Coronation for you though, Charles isn't my king.
    He is, whether you like it or not.
    He can call himself what he wants. We don't have to call him by the title he grants himself. A straight forward Mr Windsor should suffice.
    Nah. Whether you like or not his Coronation means he is the King of the
    realm... and he didn’t award himself the title. It came by legal right of sucession..
    Look, mate, he's got about as much chance of me calling him Sir or King as any other Lord, Sir, Duke or whatever. That's a zero chance. If I met him, which I'm almost certain I never will, he'll get an upward nod and an "Alright, fella?" He's not going to send me to the Tower, is he? And I'm also certain that me calling him "fella" wouldn't bother him one little bit.
    You could call him Bollocks Fishcakes if you like. It doesn’t alter the fact that he is head of state and therefore your King while you are a citizen of the UK.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

This should have been my first comment today: Happy Easter to all of you who are celebrating it, today.

You enjoy your Coronation, and I hope you have a great day along with everyone else who wants to have a great day, but don't expect me to participate in your "unifying national event". We had one of those last year, celebrating the life of HMQ and I paid my respects fully.

He can call himself what he wants. We don't have to call him by the title he grants himself. A straight forward Mr Windsor should suffice.
    realm... and he didn’t award himself the title. It came by legal right of sucession..
    Look, mate, he's got about as much chance of me calling him Sir or King as any other Lord, Sir, Duke or whatever. That's a zero chance. If I met him, which I'm almost certain I never will, he'll get an upward nod and an "Alright, fella?" He's not going to send me to the Tower, is he? And I'm also certain that me calling him "fella" wouldn't bother him one little bit.
    You could call him Bollocks Fishcakes if you like. It doesn’t alter the fact that he is head of state and therefore your King while you are a citizen of the UK.
    No such thing as a citizen of the UK, only a subject of Her, now His, Maj. Which is the problem.

Mountbatten-Windsor, apparently, is the preferred term.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    This report contradicts a similar one that came out about 18 months ago IIRC.

"Britain ‘not close to being a racially just society’, finds two-year research project
    Exclusive: More than a third of people from ethnic and religious minorities have experienced racially motivated assault, data shows"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/09/britain-not-close-to-being-a-racially-just-society-finds-two-year-research-project
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

My beef is with his Queen. We were promised a Consort to prevent his Edward VII exile to Paris, and bingo he makes Camilla the Queen.

Diana is the Queen of our hearts!
    She is one of the minor Kardashian's, right?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Carnyx said:

No such thing as a citizen of the UK, only a subject of Her, now His, Maj. Which is the problem.
    That's not what the passport says, or nationality law.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited April 2023
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I was 9. It was 1970 in Carnoustie and I both leafleted and canvassed (seriously) for Ted Heath in Carnoustie in the then safe Tory seat of Angus. Precocious or weird? Take your pick.

I reckon actively canvassing for the Conservatives stops being weird after 35. Below 25 is reserved for the truly odd. And less than 18 is Rees-Mogg territory.
    It was a very different Tory party in those days of course. I was a one nation Tory then and have remained so almost all of my life with a detour to the SDP when the Tories went too far right. I was happy under Cameron, particularly in the Coalition. The current party...not so much.
    You were a "One Nation Tory" at 9?

PB has to be the ONLY place where this raises neither giggle nor eyebrow.
    Which, of course, is why i enjoy it here so much.
    Economically, it feels to me, the Tory party is wetter than it has ever been.

I have huge reservations about this.

My entire 'leccy bill over Winter has been paid for by the Govt. Meanwhile I'm taxed through the nose.

Won't someone come out and defend capitalism?
    As a Baggie I am surprised you are not more cynical when it comes to looking at free market capitalism. From Jeremy Peace's "loan", to Lai helping himself to whatever takes his fancy. The result? Bankrupting a business which Mark Jenkins had made self sufficient is a remarkable example of how capitalism can fail in the hands of people who don't really believe in free market economics.
    Andy_JS said:

Which part of the country does "fella" come from? Not being sarcastic.
    I encounter it a lot from Cornish folk I know (proper 'Cornish' - not 'BBC producer on a weekend break').
  • twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,361
    edited April 2023

Yu could call him Bollocks Fishcakes if you like. It doesn’t alter the fact that he is head of state and therefore your King while you are a citizen to the UK.
    He's The King, he's not my king. Absolutely he's the head of state, but I personally don't have to recognise him as anything. The fact we keep him and his kids in the lifestyle that he's become accustomed means he should be calling me Sir. Or he could call me Bollocks Fishcakes if he wanted, that's a title with panache.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

My beef is with his Queen. We were promised a Consort to prevent his Edward VII exile to Paris, and bingo he makes Camilla the Queen.

Edward VIII
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869

Andy_JS said:

I dunno. It's used a lot in my part of the East Mids, but so is mate, marra and a few others.
    Ditto here - East Mids too.

My marras will be in the garden.
    Taz said:

Fucks sake, Peter. I said I need a camper man.’

https://twitter.com/BrianSpanner1/status/1644994650883649538?s=20

I’ve got a copy, somewhere, of Shadow of the Stone, a Sunday teatime drama that was his first TV appearance and a Shirley Henderson was in it too.
    With the splendid and unexplained lizard in the opening credits, if I remember correctly. A 'classic' of it's time.
    ohnotnow said:

She is one of the minor Kardashian's, right?
    Who, Camilla? Possibly, yes.
  • Andy_JS said:

Don't know, but well before it was ever written as "fella", Alexander Pope in his 1733 Essay On Man had these lines rhyme

Worth makes the man, and want of it the fellow.
    The rest is all but leather or prunella.

Edward VIII
    Oh yeah. The other fella looked like Prince Michael of Kent didn't he? Royal disinterest from me Sunil.

I didn't vote for him either :)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869
    edited April 2023

TimS said:

The Church of England really are a bigoted organisation.

Fair play to King Charles III for this.

King Charles has been at loggerheads with Church leaders over the role other faiths should play in his Coronation, The Mail on Sunday understands.

Church sources say the monarch has been told that his desire for a 'diverse' ceremony, including participation by non-Christians, risks clashing with centuries- old canon law, which bars Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and other faith leaders from reading out prayers during the service.

Religious affairs commentator Catherine Pepinster claims today she has been told that this wrangle has delayed the release of the Coronation's Order of Service with barely four weeks to go until the ceremony.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11952937/Charles-odds-Church-England-role-faiths-play-Coronation.html

From the article it seems that other faiths are completely relaxed

Last night other faith leaders were relaxed about the Christian nature of the ceremony. Sir Iqbal Sacranie, the former founding Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: 'It is appropriate the formal ritualistic prayers of the Coronation ought to be Anglican as the King is from the Anglican faith.

'But the presence of other faith leaders will signify the importance that the King represents all the faith communities in the Kingdom.'

Pradip Gajjar, a Hindu leader, said: 'This is a Christian ceremony for a Christian King. I don't see a problem with that.'

The CoE, good love’em (or not) have some serious issues.

A couple of weeks ago there was a video of the Archbishop of Canterbury standing and applauding a man (a judge / KC) who I know not only bullied his son for years but then supported the same son in multiple family court cases involving the son’s abused and intimidated ex wife and her poor daughter, in the slimiest and most duplicitous way possible. As close as we get in civilised middle class British society to pure evil. A brief look at the court records would put this beyond doubt.

Fair enough the Archbishop isn’t expected to review everyone he interacts with, but someone in a litigation role for the CofE. A bit if background checking might be in order.

I don’t know the case that you refer to. But I very much doubt the Archbishop is involved in selection of CofE lawyers. Sounds like a bureaucratic cock up
    Ma Pepsi has quite a lot of pepper in her porridge.

(See the writings over the years of the blogger known as Splintered Sunrise.)
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Have you all driven my Essex compatriot HYUFD away? I’m sure he’d have something to say on the proper way to address Charles Mountbatten-Windsor.

Just remarking. I’m another republican.
  • Have you all driven my Essex compatriot HYUFD away? I’m sure he’d have something to say on the proper way to address Charles Mountbatten-Windsor.

It's been agreed. An upward nod and "Alright, Chaz?" is OK.
  • This should have been my first comment today: Happy Easter to all of you who are celebrating it, today.

"Alright Your Majestic Fellaship" should do fine

Have you all driven my Essex compatriot HYUFD away? I’m sure he’d have something to say on the proper way to address Charles Mountbatten-Windsor.

I hope he's OK.

Hmm. You're always keen on defending women, yet I've noticed that you keep quoting that Twitter account. I keep finding myself puzzled about that.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-tweets-you-wont-read/
    Carnyx said:

You are right we are almost all British citizens not UK citizens

British subject has a very limited and specific definition related to people born before 1949 and connected to Ireland or India

Imagine he’d be busy on Easter Sunday give his wife is a vicar and all that jazz
    edited April 2023
    Elon Musk seems to believe that if something is government funded it cannot be independent.

"BBC branded ‘government-funded’ on Twitter
    Elon Musk faces row with broadcaster over state media tag"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/09/bbc-branded-as-government-funded-on-twitter
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Imagine he’d be busy on Easter Sunday give his wife is a vicar and all that jazz
    Didn’t realise that. He’ll have to have done the Sunday dinner!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Carnyx said:

Hmm. You're always keen on defending women, yet I've noticed that you keep quoting that Twitter account. I keep finding myself puzzled about that.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-tweets-you-wont-read/
    I guess Wings considers these people as allies nowadays.

Spanner puts the gyn into misogyny so presumably is respecting sex based biology in his own inimitable style.

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Andy_JS said:

Elon Musk seems to believe that if something is government funded it cannot be independent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/09/bbc-branded-as-government-funded-on-twitter

Don't the BBC collect their own money from the public, rather than getting it from government?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,761

Great idea.
    Can we have an act of Parliament to make that his official moniker ?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

I'm afraid he is your King, and everyone else's, until such time if and when the monarchy ceases to exist in the islands.

To say otherwise is factually incorrect, regardless of how trendy a slogan it is.

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I was 9. It was 1970 in Carnoustie and I both leafleted and canvassed (seriously) for Ted Heath in Carnoustie in the then safe Tory seat of Angus. Precocious or weird? Take your pick.

I reckon actively canvassing for the Conservatives stops being weird after 35. Below 25 is reserved for the truly odd. And less than 18 is Rees-Mogg territory.
    It was a very different Tory party in those days of course. I was a one nation Tory then and have remained so almost all of my life with a detour to the SDP when the Tories went too far right. I was happy under Cameron, particularly in the Coalition. The current party...not so much.

My entire 'leccy bill over Winter has been paid for by the Govt. Meanwhile I'm taxed through the nose.

Free market capitalism died when the bankers were bailed out.

It then had a stake driven through its heart when politicians went from being government ministers straight to being the hirelings of shysters and hostile countries.

Its now only about which demographics get which place at the trough.
    Not sure that's entirely true?

There have been multiple bank crashes and bailouts over the past 200 years.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    We all expect a Ukrainian counter offensive to take place in the near future but when exactly? Although the weather is probably still a bit boggy I'm sure the Ukrainians would like an element of surprise so it might be sooner rather than later. With all the tanks and IFVs I'm sure the west will be expecting results but I still worry about the lack of long range artillery and air cover. The west ought to kick itself if all that kit is lost for relatively little gain because they weren't prepared to go the extra mile.

So, shouldn't your slogan be "Camilla is not my Queen", then?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Didn’t know that - yep they will be in recovery mode after a very long week.

Yu could call him Bollocks Fishcakes if you like. It doesn’t alter the fact that he is head of state and therefore your King while you are a citizen to the UK.
    He's The King, he's not my king. Absolutely he's the head of state, but I personally don't have to recognise him as anything. The fact we keep him and his kids in the lifestyle that he's become accustomed means he should be calling me Sir. Or he could call me Bollocks Fishcakes if he wanted, that's a title with panache.
    He is your King.

He is your King.
    You are the guy at the end of Braveheart, and I claim my 5 groats :lol:
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,767
    edited April 2023

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Free market capitalism died when the bankers were bailed out.

It then had a stake driven through its heart when politicians went from being government ministers straight to being the hirelings of shysters and hostile countries.

Its now only about which demographics get which place at the trough.
    Not sure that's entirely true?

There have been multiple bank crashes and bailouts over the past 200 years.
    It has been a death of multiple causes since Lloyd George's reforms before the First World War. After that, you had two world wars, the embryonic Conservative welfare state reforms of the 1920s (cottage hospitals, etc.), the Attlee welfare state and nationalisations, Brown's innovations like the minimum wage, the 2008 financial crisis and aftermath, the current socialist consensus. Only the Thatcher/Lawson reforms of the 1980s were a significant movement in the other direction. Other than that's it's been a one-way street.

Our country is more equal and much less dynamic as a result.
  • Her official title will be The People’s Queen Camilla
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @OpiniumResearch
    It's Easter Sunday so that means we're giving the traditional gift: an extra out-of-schedule poll!

Labour lead drops from 15 points to 11:

Con 30% (+1)
    Lab 41% (-3)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)
    Green 5% (nc)
    Reform UK 7% (nc)
    Did we RIP Ben Ferencz ?

At 27, he prosecuted Nazis for more than 1 million deaths in perhaps the largest murder case in history.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1644796531256557569
    edited April 2023
    Nerdy fact about the BBC's 1992 election coverage.

The only 2 seats that don't flash up along the bottom of the screen, or feature as a declaration, are Elmet and Birmingham Hodge Hill. There was some sort of computer error which stopped them from appearing.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    Test
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

He is your King.
    He’s also the Duke of Normandy to me which is good. “The King, our Duke.”
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    ohnotnow said:

Taz said:

I’ve got a copy, somewhere, of Shadow of the Stone, a Sunday teatime drama that was his first TV appearance and a Shirley Henderson was in it too.
    With the splendid and unexplained lizard in the opening credits, if I remember correctly. A 'classic' of it's time.
    It’s often overlooked as other stuff like ‘knights of God’ was far better remembered. But I remember thinking it excellent at the time,
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't the BBC collect their own money from the public, rather than getting it from government?
    The world service has direct government funding, so on an international platform, the designation isn't entirely inapproriate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-funding-agreed-to-keep-bbc-world-service-on-air
    Andy_JS said:

Nerdy fact about the BBC's 1992 election coverage.

The only 2 seats that don't flash up along the bottom of the screen, or feature as a declaration, are Elmet and Birmingham Hodge Hill. There was some sort of computer error which stopped them from appearing.

That's pretty niche, mate.
  • This should have been my first comment today: Happy Easter to all of you who are celebrating it, today.

He is your King.
    Nope. You can tug yer forelock to old Chaz, I choose not to.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think that you’d have an interesting time in international definitions of “tax” trying to claim the License Fee is not a government controlled collection of money.

I’ll bet this has come up in connection with diplomats (see parking charges etc)

@PB lawyers?
    Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch
    It's Easter Sunday so that means we're giving the traditional gift: an extra out-of-schedule poll!

Con 30% (+1)
    Lab 41% (-3)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)
    Green 5% (nc)
    Reform UK 7% (nc)

BROKEN, SLEAZY LABOUR ON THE SLIDE!
    boulay said:

He is your King.
    He’s also the Duke of Normandy to me which is good. “The King, our Duke.”
    A right bastard.

From whom he is descended.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

Con 30% (+1)
    Lab 41% (-3)
    Lib Dems 10% (+1)
    Green 5% (nc)
    Reform UK 7% (nc)

BROKEN, SLEAZY LABOUR ON THE SLIDE!
    For once you're absolutely right.

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The world service has direct government funding, so on an international platform, the designation isn't entirely inapproriate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-funding-agreed-to-keep-bbc-world-service-on-air
    That it's accorded the same status as NPR (which receives 1% of its funding directly from government), along with Russian state media, is illustrative of the problem.

He is your King.
    Just have respect for a decent man who has done lots for the UK and will continue to do so.

We all expect a Ukrainian counter offensive to take place in the near future but when exactly? Although the weather is probably still a bit boggy I'm sure the Ukrainians would like an element of surprise so it might be sooner rather than later. With all the tanks and IFVs I'm sure the west will be expecting results but I still worry about the lack of long range artillery and air cover. The west ought to kick itself if all that kit is lost for relatively little gain because they weren't prepared to go the extra mile.

U.K. supplied AS-90s have been spotted in Ukraine.

Think they are still in the mud season in various parts of the front. But then again….
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The 51 year old edgelord Elon Musk wants idiots to conflate the likes of the BBC and NPR, with TASS, Xinhua and other actual state-controlled media.
    Is this a prototype of the future of naval air power ?

Turkey’s first ever aircraft carrier and the largest ship of the navy will be officially launched tomorrow. The flagship TCG Anadolu.

TB-3 armed drone, with folding wings, and the country’s first ever unmanned jet Kizilelma are already onboard..

https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1645133379946389510
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Oh.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631
    edited April 2023
    Cookie said:

Oldest daughter turns 13 tomorrow.
    But youngest daughter doesn't turn 20 until late 2034.
    12 and a half years of parentung teenage girls coming up...

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to it. They're lovely kids, really, and I'm optimistic they will remain so.

11.5, surely?

Good luck…and happy birthday to her.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677
    Andy_JS said:

"Britain ‘not close to being a racially just society’, finds two-year research project
    Exclusive: More than a third of people from ethnic and religious minorities have experienced racially motivated assault, data shows"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/09/britain-not-close-to-being-a-racially-just-society-finds-two-year-research-project

It is sad that anyone has to suffer racist verbal or physical attacks.

However, I do not see that it is possible for people to self-report *discrimination* at the hands of insitutions versus a hypothetical idea of how a white person might have been treated under the same circumstances. All that such reporting can show is that people believe that they have been discriminated against, not that they have been.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,199
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

@bondegezou FPT

The various representation of the people acts just said “we will use the old system but allow more people to vote”.

That is totally fine. It’s why the boundary changes are also fine as is ID.

A fundamental change in the system - to PR - especially where so many people gleefully claim it will screw one side - without authority doesn’t create a stable political system because it introduces the suspicion of partisan bias in setting the fundamental rules of the game

I think there are two different questions here:

Would it be possible for a political party to change the electoral system without a referendum?

Yes.

Would it be wise?

No, it would not.

Now, there are nuances here. If the Conservative Party won a General Election with the manifesto promise to introduce PR (and then did so), then that would be very different to a situation where it was a prize offered up in coalition negotiations.
    Two more nuances would be that there is a recent precedent for changing the voting system, which was rejected in a referendum, and that those most in favour of changing the system are smaller parties who use arguments that thinly disguise the electoral benefit to themselves personally.
    It's unlikely that either the SNP or LDs would personally benefit from PR in Westminster elections. The former would be down to 15-30 MPs for the foreseeable future. The latter would immediately split into pro-Tory and pro-Labour factions. They would benefit in the sense that no PR system would deliver a Tory majority on 37%, but this is hardly personal.
    Most European countries with PR don't have multiple "liberal" parties, so I'm not convinced that the LDs would split.
    Not a split into two parties I mean, but splitting toward viable and more dynamic alternatives like the Greens, for example. After PR it is hard to see the point of the LDs.
    Most European countries with PR have a party that's a bit like the liberals and which gets 5-15%: there's D66 in the Netherlands, the FDP (who I grant you are Orange book) in Germany, and you could probably include Citizens in Spain.
    While I agree with your general point, the Netherlands is the counter example as they have two liberal parties, D66 (who are more like the UK LibDems) and VVD (who are more like One Nation Tories, but then lots of European liberal parties and members of the ALDE are like that).
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Ukrainian propaganda video about the upcoming spring offensive featuring training in the UK:

https://twitter.com/defenceu/status/1645004329131159552

The international audience for their messaging is an interesting element to the information war.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to it. They're lovely kids, really, and I'm optimistic they will remain so.

11.5, surely?

Good luck…and happy birthday to her.
    Phew! Yes, you're right!

He is your King.
    Just have respect for a decent man who has done lots for the UK and will continue to do so.
    Why? What about the hundreds of thousands of decent people who do lots for the country and will continue to do so, but for a lot less benefit. The ones who struggle to pay their bills despite working damn hard, while old Chaz Windsor drags half the armed forces around London with his gold coach. No ta.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

@bondegezou FPT

The various representation of the people acts just said “we will use the old system but allow more people to vote”.

That is totally fine. It’s why the boundary changes are also fine as is ID.

A fundamental change in the system - to PR - especially where so many people gleefully claim it will screw one side - without authority doesn’t create a stable political system because it introduces the suspicion of partisan bias in setting the fundamental rules of the game

I think there are two different questions here:

Would it be possible for a political party to change the electoral system without a referendum?

Yes.

Would it be wise?

No, it would not.

Now, there are nuances here. If the Conservative Party won a General Election with the manifesto promise to introduce PR (and then did so), then that would be very different to a situation where it was a prize offered up in coalition negotiations.
    Two more nuances would be that there is a recent precedent for changing the voting system, which was rejected in a referendum, and that those most in favour of changing the system are smaller parties who use arguments that thinly disguise the electoral benefit to themselves personally.
    It's unlikely that either the SNP or LDs would personally benefit from PR in Westminster elections. The former would be down to 15-30 MPs for the foreseeable future. The latter would immediately split into pro-Tory and pro-Labour factions. They would benefit in the sense that no PR system would deliver a Tory majority on 37%, but this is hardly personal.
    Most European countries with PR don't have multiple "liberal" parties, so I'm not convinced that the LDs would split.
    Not a split into two parties I mean, but splitting toward viable and more dynamic alternatives like the Greens, for example. After PR it is hard to see the point of the LDs.
    Most European countries with PR have a party that's a bit like the liberals and which gets 5-15%: there's D66 in the Netherlands, the FDP (who I grant you are Orange book) in Germany, and you could probably include Citizens in Spain.
    While I agree with your general point, the Netherlands is the counter example as they have two liberal parties, D66 (who are more like the UK LibDems) and VVD (who are more like One Nation Tories, but then lots of European liberal parties and members of the ALDE are like that).
    D66...

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p920577291/hBC04DC0C#hbc04dc0c
    Cookie said:

They can be the best parenting years… sometimes.
    Enjoy them while they last; it will seem like no time at all.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

Andy_JS said:

However, I do not see that it is possible for people to self-report *discrimination* at the hands of insitutions versus a hypothetical idea of how a white person might have been treated under the same circumstances. All that such reporting can show is that people believe that they have been discriminated against, not that they have been.
    Furthermore, as black historian Thomas Sowell has pointed out, the prosperity of ethnic minority groups is not really correlated with racisim or lack of racism against them. Historically, Jews have been one of the most descriminated-against immigrant populations, sometimes banned from almost all professions, and yet they have become the most prosperous and outperformed the native populations in case after case. People of Indian heritage are another example.

He is your King.
    Why? What about the hundreds of thousands of decent people who do lots for the country and will continue to do so, but for a lot less benefit. The ones who struggle to pay their bills despite working damn hard, while old Chaz Windsor drags half the armed forces around London with his gold coach. No ta.
    We were not talking about them, we were talking about our King.
  • twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,361
    edited April 2023

He is your King.
    We were not talking about them, we were talking about our King.
    Sod the king. Fill your boots. Forelock tug away. You do you. I'll do me.

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

A group of Florida neo-Nazis who recently projected a swastika onto a downtown Jacksonville building say the national hysteria drummed up over drag queens is helping them recruit new members, according to NPR.

The neo-Nazi group, National Socialist Florida, told NPR that conversations about recent legislation pushed by Republicans targeting drag shows have helped them recruit new members.

"What we have seen is certain types of activism definitely gets interest and recruitment up," Josh Nunes, the leader of the group, told NPR. "And that's where like the drag queen shit — like everybody wants to be a part of the team shutting that down."

https://www.insider.com/neo-nazi-group-hysteria-drag-queens-helps-recruit-members-2023-3

How sad that people are so fragile that they feel threatened by a bloke in a dress.
    some people are so fragile they feel threatened by rainbow flags
    I'm not threatened by rainbow flags, though I find their ubiquity a tad irritating.
    I'm annoyed by trans flags because - given the status quo is that trans people do have rights, my inference is that the flyers of these flags support the wilder madness of the trans lobby, of which there is plenty. Much of which genuinely threatening.
    It's submit or be killed apparently.

It's good to identify where the absolute lunatic end of the spectrum is so handily.
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

A group of Florida neo-Nazis who recently projected a swastika onto a downtown Jacksonville building say the national hysteria drummed up over drag queens is helping them recruit new members, according to NPR.

The neo-Nazi group, National Socialist Florida, told NPR that conversations about recent legislation pushed by Republicans targeting drag shows have helped them recruit new members.

"What we have seen is certain types of activism definitely gets interest and recruitment up," Josh Nunes, the leader of the group, told NPR. "And that's where like the drag queen shit — like everybody wants to be a part of the team shutting that down."

https://www.insider.com/neo-nazi-group-hysteria-drag-queens-helps-recruit-members-2023-3

How sad that people are so fragile that they feel threatened by a bloke in a dress.
    I'm not threatened by rainbow flags, though I find their ubiquity a tad irritating.
    I'm annoyed by trans flags because - given the status quo is that trans people do have rights, my inference is that the flyers of these flags support the wilder madness of the trans lobby, of which there is plenty. Much of which genuinely threatening.

It's good to identify where the absolute lunatic end of the spectrum is so handily.
    Phil Spector lives!

Also, whilst the Russians cannot defend everywhere, they know an attack is coming so presumably are pretty dug in. I wonder how hard headed and realistic western military assessments truly are, and whether the Ukrainians can surprise on the upside - so far the Russians have been annoyingly difficult to shift.

He is your King.
    Someone better be on guard before HYUFD tugs twistedfirestopper's forelock for him.
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

You’d never know just by appearances..
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,199

Andy_JS said:

We should be clear, yes, what is self-reported data versus other sorts of data. That said, many people’s experiences are, sadly, of very explicit discrimination. This isn’t about comparison with a “hypothetical idea of how a white person might have been treated”; it’s about experiences of very explicitly racist language and behaviour. I have a PhD student looking at experiences among medical students and some of the examples they’ve given us are horrendous. (We’ll submit for publication in due course, but might be a while.)
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

What does it say about me, that that image makes me think of this?

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

Phil Spector lives!
    Or a very young Peter Kellner ?
    kle4 said:

Also, whilst the Russians cannot defend everywhere, they know an attack is coming so presumably are pretty dug in. I wonder how hard headed and realistic western military assessments truly are, and whether the Ukrainians can surprise on the upside - so far the Russians have been annoyingly difficult to shift.
    Looking at the map of where Russia has been building new defensive lines, I wonder whether the best place to take them by surprise would be Donetsk itself.

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Tres said:

Well.

You’d never know just by appearances..
    It is, of course, generally wrong to judge by appearances.

But sometimes life gives off useful warning signals that should be paid attention to.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Carnyx said:

My passport must be wrong then, as it says.
    “British Citizen”
    Have you, or member of your immediate family, ever had portraits of Adolf Hitler in your home?

Even for "historical commemoration" purposes?

Just trying to gauge how "normal" this Harlan Crow business is.

https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/1645173808859414532
    Nigelb said:

Have you, or member of your immediate family, ever had portraits of Adolf Hitler in your home?

Does having the two volume biography by Kershaw count?

Nigelb said:

If I recall people flipping out over the contents of Michael Gove's bookcase correctly, then yes, probably.
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

Probably not.*

Did you ever take Clarence Thomas on holiday in your private jet, though ?

* At least I hope not.
    (For balance, I have a two volume Stalin biography on the other side of the bookcase.)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Ha ha.
    Just saw Leicestershire made 389 to beat minor league Yorkshire after their arrogant declaration. About their third win this century.
    Happy Easter everyone!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Mein Kampf is a staple of every bookshop in Spain, even small ones at railway stations. Saw it in a WH Smith at a Spanish station once.
    dixiedean said:

Ha ha.
    Just saw Leicestershire made 389 to beat minor league Yorkshire after their arrogant declaration. About their third win this century.
    Happy Easter everyone!

In tactics you go Stokes or go broke. Sometimes both.
    The West is facing a growing split between the Anglosphere (US/UK) and the EU (Franco-German bloc) when it comes to dealing with #DragonBear (China & Russia).
    Little did I know that Macron‘s visit to China will quickly manifest this geopolitical trend.

https://twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1645084202864459776
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Probably not.*

* At least I hope not.
    (For balance, I have a two volume Stalin biography on the other side of the bookcase.)
    I have them next to each other - Stalin and Hitler that is.

Have you got a copy of Mein Kampf though? It is a dreary read. Though it paints a portrait of it's author which is true to the life.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    kle4 said:

He is your King.
    Someone better be on guard before HYUFD tugs twistedfirestopper's forelock for him.
    I love the way in a democracy that certain royalist tell us what we should do and think re our royals. Not the first time here. I'm ambivalent regarding our royals. Don't feel strongly in favour or against, but it gets my back up when people tell me what to do and think regarding them. None of their business. In the unlikely event I ever met them I would certainly address them like I would anyone else i.e. as an equal.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

If I recall people flipping out over the contents of Michael Gove's bookcase correctly, then yes, probably.
    Hmmm. A book whose subtitle is for volume I - "Hubris" and for volume 2 "Nemesis". Did they not realise that it might not be entirely in favour of it's subject?
    edited April 2023
    kjh said:

kle4 said:

He is your King.
    I love the way in a democracy that certain royalist tell us what we should do and think re our royals. Not the first time here. I'm ambivalent regarding our royals. Don't feel strongly in favour or against, but it gets my back up when people tell me what to do and think regarding them. None of their business. In the unlikely event I ever met them I would certainly address them like I would anyone else i.e. as an equal.
    I'd kowtow. Not enough people kowtow these days. The His Majesty would reach out his majestic cumberland style fingers and pull me to my feet, like an equal.
  • kle4 said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

He is your King.
    I'd kowtow. Not enough people kowtow these days. The His Majesty would reach out his majestic cumberland style fingers and pull me to my feet, like an equal.
    I'm saying I'd go "Alright, Chaz, how's it hanging?" But in reality, I'd probably get flustered, try and curtsey and call him your Honour or something!

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Probably not.*

* At least I hope not.

Have you got a copy of Mein Kampf though? It is a dreary read. Though it paints a portrait of it's author which is true to the life.
    No.
    A historian of the era is welcome to the effort. I can't be bothered.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited April 2023
    Regular prostration is both physically and mentally healthy.
    Doesn't have to be in front of a Royal, mind.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

kle4 said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

He is your King.
    I'm saying I'd go "Alright, Chaz, how's it hanging?" But in reality, I'd probably get flustered, try and curtsey and call him your Honour or something!
    I would ask him if he wanted to borrow my pen.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

The West is facing a growing split between the Anglosphere (US/UK) and the EU (Franco-German bloc) when it comes to dealing with #DragonBear (China & Russia).
    Little did I know that Macron‘s visit to China will quickly manifest this geopolitical trend.

I think it is more of a divide within the EU actually. France and Germany seem to want to prioritise economic policy first and foremost. The north and eastern countries less so.

I think it is more of a divide within the EU actually. France and Germany seem to want to prioritise economic policy first and foremost. The north and eastern countries less so.
    Agreed. In particular Poland is a rising power that can no longer be sidelined by France and Germany in European politics.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Probably not.*

* At least I hope not.

No.
    A historian of the era is welcome to the effort. I can't be bothered.
    It's worth it - just for being able to recognise "same shit, different arseholes".
This discussion has been closed.