Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could a Brexit deal be the making of Sunak? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,159
    MaxPB said:

Phil said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/25/you-can-blame-the-weather-and-brexit-but-theres-more-to-the-uks-food-supply-crisis

"The problem is that growing salad vegetables in the UK has been made economically unviable, both by those shortsighted supermarkets and in large part by Brexit. Growers in the Lea Valley around London, regarded as Britain’s salad bowl, have started applying to knock down dozens of acres of greenhouses so the land can be used more profitably for houses. As the Lea Valley Growers Association has explained, the post-Brexit seasonal workers’ scheme only granted six-month visas when they were needed for nine months. It meant bringing in two cohorts and double the training. That means extra costs which are not being met by supermarkets."

Clarkson complained it was actually very difficult to sell his vegetables when he'd grown them.

Of course, how truthful he was being is another question. But AIUI they are a sod of a crop. A bugger to grow and selling them fresh is a pain, while selling them in any way other than fresh is an even bigger pain.
    He was probably demanding the cost of growing them plus a profit. That kind of fascist thinking would never pass the muster at Tesco.

I had a look round today - the supermarkets have a fair amount of fresh veg. The specialty shops around here - higher quality, more expensive produce - are stacked to the ceiling with veg.
    Yup. If you’re willing to pay, the veg is there. No shortages in Waitrose or Aldi locally.

Looks like this is the mid-range supermarkets fighting for their lives against being squeezed from both ends & finding that their history of stiffing their suppliers is backfiring on them?

Tesco in particular has spent many, many years making themselves extremely unpopular with the UK farming industry & now the boot is on the other foot they’re finding that they don’t have anyone the can call on. Couldn’t happen to a nicer company I’m sure.
    Our delivery from Natoora arrived just fine this week. But not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.

Also, find of the week, Selfridges do Ortiz tuna at £7 for the 250g can. It's an indulgence, but the tuna really is the best available.
    The boat can be pushed out further:

https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/tinned-fish/p/ventresca-bonito-del-norte

(I have had this belly tuna at a friend's house, but it is beyond my means. I can recommed the website though - have had lots of interesting stuff from them)
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,895
    carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

Phil said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/25/you-can-blame-the-weather-and-brexit-but-theres-more-to-the-uks-food-supply-crisis

"The problem is that growing salad vegetables in the UK has been made economically unviable, both by those shortsighted supermarkets and in large part by Brexit. Growers in the Lea Valley around London, regarded as Britain’s salad bowl, have started applying to knock down dozens of acres of greenhouses so the land can be used more profitably for houses. As the Lea Valley Growers Association has explained, the post-Brexit seasonal workers’ scheme only granted six-month visas when they were needed for nine months. It meant bringing in two cohorts and double the training. That means extra costs which are not being met by supermarkets."

Clarkson complained it was actually very difficult to sell his vegetables when he'd grown them.

Of course, how truthful he was being is another question. But AIUI they are a sod of a crop. A bugger to grow and selling them fresh is a pain, while selling them in any way other than fresh is an even bigger pain.
    He was probably demanding the cost of growing them plus a profit. That kind of fascist thinking would never pass the muster at Tesco.

I had a look round today - the supermarkets have a fair amount of fresh veg. The specialty shops around here - higher quality, more expensive produce - are stacked to the ceiling with veg.
    Yup. If you’re willing to pay, the veg is there. No shortages in Waitrose or Aldi locally.

Looks like this is the mid-range supermarkets fighting for their lives against being squeezed from both ends & finding that their history of stiffing their suppliers is backfiring on them?

Tesco in particular has spent many, many years making themselves extremely unpopular with the UK farming industry & now the boot is on the other foot they’re finding that they don’t have anyone the can call on. Couldn’t happen to a nicer company I’m sure.
    Our delivery from Natoora arrived just fine this week. But not everyone wants to spend that kind of money.

Also, find of the week, Selfridges do Ortiz tuna at £7 for the 250g can. It's an indulgence, but the tuna really is the best available.
    The boat can be pushed out further:

https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/tinned-fish/p/ventresca-bonito-del-norte

(I have had this belly tuna at a friend's house, but it is beyond my means. I can recommed the website though - have had lots of interesting stuff from them)
    Well, there goes the budget...

• NEW THREAD

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:
    That’s hilariously calamitous

Surely the Nits can’t be mad enough to elect the South Uist Salafist?

She will never escape this. It will be hurled at her continuously and do endless damage
    It’s even more over for her than it was before.
    Not per the betting it isn't. Forbes and Yousaf are either side of evens and close. Regan - who does come over as the most lightweight to me - is the one out with the washing.
    I’m with Leon on this. It’s the reason I want her to win.

Kates views on no sex before marriage is laugh out loud funny. But the thought of her being a parent to someone who is gay isn’t funny at all. So I think this makes her my preference for winning this, because her prejudice will be very much in the spotlight throughout her time as leader, this will get people talking and arguing and thinking about prejudice based positions like opposing all sex marriage, and that would be really good, exactly what the world actually needs to focus on outdated outgoing philosophies built on prejudice, and expunge them as soon as possible now. So I can see how a lot of good can come from such a senior UK political leader holding such views as hers, helping to maintain the spotlight on such things.

In terms of the independence politics of it, none of them seem to have come up with very good responses in interviews about how to achieve it from here. I don’t understand why there is so much hostility to using all Westminster elections and Scottish government elections as pleblicites on support for independence - it’s a fantastic idea for maximising SNP vote every time.

The best result for unionists, would be Ash, as her interviews are car crashes, she’s out of her depth. The worst result for Conservatives would be Kate, as she seeks independence but has social and economic values closer to conservatives. Best result for Labour, Kate, for same reasons in reverse to why she is worst for Conservative vote.

Who do I think wins? Kate. Even if Humza has the SNP establishment support, for, as someone wittily put it, applauding everything Sturgeon said and done like a demented seal, I still don’t think that’s enough to stop Kate now.
    Bit all over the place here, confused London by looks of it.
    You are not even in the SNP party. Do you vote Alba - So why are you so interested?

“In terms of the independence politics of it, none of them seem to have come up with very good responses in interviews about how to achieve it from here.” That’s true isn’t? So how would you do it?

You don’t have an answer do you.

Becuase you know I am right. I’m the only one with the answer.

The truth here Malc, since accepting London’s devolved parliament, that’s not remotely independence, the push for independence has become confused and all over the place. If anyone in Scotland was a wee bit interested in independence now, they would have identical attitude to working so hard in a devolved parliament they don’t want to exist they would have to their MPs going to Westminster and working so hard there without remotely wanting to be part of it.

If any nationalist in Scotland wants independence they need to shun Londons devolved assembly trap, let the labour tory unionists run that in coalition, and go on civil disobedience against anything to do with union.

Today, Scottish Nationalism has become weak. Limp. Half hearted and confused. In comparison to how history of the world people have worked harder than this for their freedom.
    Come back Malc and stop hiding, I haven’t finished with you yet.

tell me, how can there be a passionate push for independence, with absolutely zilch happening to achieve it? Scottish Nationalists are too busy painting fake windows onto the side of ferry’s. 🤷‍♀️

How many do you currently have in jail as political prisoners due to civil disobedience against the Union?
    I am back and you sound more like Leon's female equivalent by the day. I have been stating on here for a considerable time that Imelda and her cabal of weirdo's, troughers and sockpuppets have no interest in independence.
    Big big changes needed and every election should be counted as a vote on independence , if 50%+1 votes are placed for independence parties then negotiations should start immediately. No mere Leon impersonator can dictate mince to the special one.
    Amongst all that, you are inching towards agreeing with me, that this is the most lily livered separatist campaign in world history.

So how would you do it? Absolutely zilch happening in push for independence at the moment, so tell us what should be happening.
    How did your horses get on , I had winner Our Power each way in the big one and got a Trixie up as well so not a bad day overall
    Congrats on your horse racing success. 🙂 My £75 Lucky15 yielded nothing for me today, despite scrutinising every horse and race in the wee small hours for value.

16 days till Cheltenham. I can’t wait 🥹
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,026

“Good Law Project has seen emails revealing that former No.10 advisor Dominic Cummings referred an offer from two middlemen representing US-based Innova Medical Group within a single hour of being approached.”
    https://twitter.com/Kit_Yates_Maths/status/1629393006943170562

GLP: https://goodlawproject.org/new-company-with-just-85-in-the-bank-made-20m-profit-after-dominic-cummings-referred-innova-medical-into-the-vip-lane/

This may be outrageous. But imagine the outcry from people if we had not got the LFTs.

People forget we were in a crisis. I fear if normal government procurement systems were in place, we might have been waiting a year later...
    Is there any Conservative government corruption you wouldn't wave through as acceptable "in a crisis"?
    (snip)
    Many. I am not a fan of the Conservative Party. But remember how Labour were calling for all sorts of untried providers for PPE equipment earlier in the crisis? Yes, there should be an enquiry into this, and the truth might be nasty for the government and people in it. But this Pavlovian reaction of 'corruption!' may not be the truth. Not that you care...
    Yes there was panic on all sides, but enough in Government had a clear enough head to see an opportunity for a grift.

In 2010 we were worrying about " cash for honours", duck houses and sending Labour MPs to jail for corruptly claiming a few grand here and there. The fast track friends of the Conservative Party weren't just creaming off the top of the public purse, they were ladelling cash out. This is a scandal so enormous (fat, back in Roald Dahl's day) that the inquiry should be by the Fraud Squad, and significant custodial sentences awaiting those involved (even perhaps those in high office) if investigated, charged and convicted.
    These are *accusations*. They may, or may not, be true. If you are right, then yes, there should be stiff custodial sentences (and money retrieved).

If the accusations are true.

But if a similar crisis happens with Labour in power (and I really hope it doesn't), I hope the government doesn't follow normal processes then, either. In fact, I hope this government isn't following 'normal' processes in getting kit to Ukraine. When something's time-critical, sometimes it needs to be done.
    There is some pretty compelling evidence to suggest some of the Covid contracts were, shall we say a little bit suspect, but let it go if you wish.

Are you suggesting friends of Ministers should be given a free hand to expedite swift delivery of crucial equipment requested by Zelenskiy?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,335

No Brexit drama is complete without its central character. Boris Johnson last week went public with his belief that Sunak should press ahead with the Northern Ireland Protocol Bill, drawn up when Johnson was PM, to get more leverage against the EU. The bill would give Britain the right to unilaterally suspend aspects of the protocol in an emergency.

Privately, Johnson was more robust in an extraordinary confrontation in the Commons chamber with his former lord chancellor, Sir Robert Buckland, who lobbied Johnson to back the deal, arguing that it was necessary to cement relations with President Joe Biden. In a move that startled MPs, Johnson was overheard replying: “F*** the Americans!”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/angry-boris-johnson-kept-in-the-dark-as-tories-turn-fire-on-each-other-p9zk9pbrl

What did happen with Ms Acuri?
    Vice says she went a little QAnon conspiraloon. (Without reading it.)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxdjpw/jennifer-arcuri-boris-johnson-conspiracy-theories
This discussion has been closed.