Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could a Brexit deal be the making of Sunak? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited February 2023

Peter Hitchens being made to look like a bit of an idiot by comedian Konstantin Kisin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fd392zi2uc

The point Hitchens never addresses in his version of events is that Putin has always been a Russian imperialist. He's never respected Ukraine as an independent state. He admires Stalin. He has a bust of Peter The Great. He's built an autocratic state. He's always thought Russia was entitled to a sphere of influence. So what do you do when those states don't want to be part of that sphere of influence? Blaming it all on Bush's suggestion of bringing Ukraine into Nato which never went anywhere is just plain silly.

It's one of those classic arguments which devoids the principal actor of any agency or responsibility for their own choices, even if an attempt is made to claim that is not what the argument is doing. It makes everything someone else does the fault of another, even if their response to whatever 'provocation' exists is entirely disproportionate.

His statement that if the Ukrainians stop fighting the war would still continue as the americans would keep it going was just moronic. Who would be fighting it?

When challenged on that he then immediately claimed he didn't say it (even though his words were "But Ukraine could stop fighting tonight and the americans would continue to keep the war going") and that they were strawmanning him - that pushes him into pretty odious territory for me, because it shows him to be utterly dishonest in a very brazen way. Posing it as some intellectual position makes that worse.

The point Kisin makes about Crimea and Donbas, and how rhetoric on regaining it may not match reality is possibly right, since of course even if they might consider that unviable they wouldn't say it now.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

61% of 18 to 24s now watch TV with the subtitles on, compared to just 21% of over 65s
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1629141495696457729?s=20

My teenage kids do this. It's one of those bewildering trends.
    Not the same, but anecdotally it's how I learned written Danish - watching the Forsyte Saga and countless other BBC shows in Denmark with Danish subtitles. You pick up the language without even trying. It was invaluable at uni, and for the last 15 years, I've been earning £10K/year in my spare time translating from Danish, and that's where it started.

Nowadays, of course, I just have subtitles on because I'm a bit deaf.
    I watched a lot of Scandi-Noir over lockdown and one night found myself about 30 minutes into an episode of something before I realised I hadn't got the subtitles on but had been following along anyway.
    It's 90% nice jumpers, walking around with the lights off and people saying "tak".
    Watching The Bridge, while I wouldn't say I'd got to understanding much of the languages, I found I could tell who was speaking Danish and who Swedish quite easily.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    edited February 2023

kle4 said:

Yes, I'm sure that is it.

‘I’ve heard Charles has always been jealous of Andrew…’

Lady Victoria Hervey questions whether ‘poor advice’ offered to Prince Andrew could have been a ‘set-up’ by the firm.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1629248924681633792

This is the kind of thing where I go, get rid of the lot of them, including Lords and Ladies.

FFS, everyone knows Andrew is a deeply dodgy man, a man who if he wasn't in the Royal Family would be in jail. I think he's a nonce and most people agree.
    I have a friend who was one of the royal personal protection team and he was responsible for one of the royals (not Andrew). We asked him for the gossip on Andrew. The only thing we found out was that Andrew once saved a cat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

The rumour is the NI deal will be published Monday and voted on same day.
    Isn't that the worst possible way to pass a deal?
    No consideration, scrutiny. Most won't have read it even?

Okay, that is not wise.

But didn't Johnson effectively do the same thing?
    He did, but we know how well that turned out, and doing the same thing again begins to look careless.

Besides, part of Rishi's shtick is that he's more honourable, a better man, than that cad Johnson.
    The signs on Rishi's deal are getting a bit worse. No text, then the rubbish about the King, now 3 line whip on the same day it is revealed?
    The last may not be a commentary on the deal itself so much as recognition that no amount of talking will make passing it more likely even if it is good, since its just more time for those against it to mischaracterise it, so best it were done quickly.
    'It's a view'
    I wasn't discounting the possibility its a bad deal, just that the speed of forcing it through is probably not a sign one way or another.
    The thing is that the goodness or badness of a real deal depends on how much you value the things gained and the things conceded, and there will be many different sets of valuations at play.

If (like Boris) you value British freedom to diverge politically and don't really care about non tariff barriers, December 2020 was a brilliant deal. Others would invert that calculation, in which case the deal was terrible.

Same for the May plan. Great at preventing people coming in whilst minimising the friction for goods, but at the cost of not taking back political control.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

61% of 18 to 24s now watch TV with the subtitles on, compared to just 21% of over 65s
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1629141495696457729?s=20

My teenage kids do this. It's one of those bewildering trends.
    Not the same, but anecdotally it's how I learned written Danish - watching the Forsyte Saga and countless other BBC shows in Denmark with Danish subtitles. You pick up the language without even trying. It was invaluable at uni, and for the last 15 years, I've been earning £10K/year in my spare time translating from Danish, and that's where it started.

Nowadays, of course, I just have subtitles on because I'm a bit deaf.
    Subtitles are commoner than they used to be, and probably better (they used to be pretty crap at times). Plus a house with teenagers is noisier than a house with OAPs. Conversely, it means you can turn the sound down that bit more if there is someone else doing something that needs peace.
    Also, a lot of modern tellies have poor speakers (hence soundbars and even additional external speakers) and modern directors encourage actors to mumble in regional accents over intrusive background music.
    Speaking of regional accents (the horror!) I was watching a bit of Our Friends in the North the other day. How did Daniel Craig's career survive his terrible effort at a North East accent in that?
    I re-watched all of that recently, thought it was fabulous. I hadn't remembered Daniel Craig playing the dissolute Geordie. A far cry from James Bond - quite an eye-opener.
    Great closing scene - him trudging over the bridge to Don't Look Back In Anger. I'd watch it all again if I wasn't already watching too much tv.
    Hey no spoilers!
    Oh god, yes, soz. Thought everybody'd seen it. No more from me on this topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

Go easy on it, mate. Seriously. I think you know that, and make such a comment so people will nag you about it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited February 2023
    I don’t post on Twitter, so I’ll post on here in the hope @AlastairMeeks reads it;

https://twitter.com/alastairmeeks/status/1629430351549329410

A minor point - I agree, the story is lovely - but the bit about her objecting to Tchaikovsky, isn’t.

She’s wrong. Cancelling Russian culture is morally problematic and strategically counterproductive. It empowers Putin.

It’s perhaps understandable that ordinary Ukrainians might think it a good idea, but we should tell them that they’re wrong and refuse.

Mr Meeks is one of the people I pay most attention to, on the occasions I check my Twitter. He’s generally pretty on the money.

Not this time!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The rumour is the NI deal will be published Monday and voted on same day.
    Isn't that the worst possible way to pass a deal?
    No consideration, scrutiny. Most won't have read it even?

Okay, that is not wise.

But didn't Johnson effectively do the same thing?
    He did, but we know how well that turned out, and doing the same thing again begins to look careless.

Besides, part of Rishi's shtick is that he's more honourable, a better man, than that cad Johnson.
    The signs on Rishi's deal are getting a bit worse. No text, then the rubbish about the King, now 3 line whip on the same day it is revealed?
    The one thing that is certain is that Sunak will do the deal if he thinks it is right for the majority and to enable a new improved relationship with the EU for the benefit of everyone, no matter some dissidents in his party or indeed the DUP

Indeed this may well be his legacy as he clears up the mess Johnson left behind
    These comments from you feel increasingly agitated. Stop worrying. If Rishi's deal is good, he will be rightly praised by all. If it's a pile of shit, it will hasten the end of his sorry premiership. Everyone's a winner.
    I am most definitely not agitated but pleased a deal is in sight and no, it will not end his premiership as you so desire
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

kinabalu said:

Peter Hitchens being made to look like a bit of an idiot by comedian Konstantin Kisin.

The point Hitchens never addresses in his version of events is that Putin has always been a Russian imperialist. He's never respected Ukraine as an independent state. He admires Stalin. He has a bust of Peter The Great. He's built an autocratic state. He's always thought Russia was entitled to a sphere of influence. So what do you do when those states don't want to be part of that sphere of influence? Blaming it all on Bush's suggestion of bringing Ukraine into Nato which never went anywhere is just plain silly.

Well you know how Peter arrives at his positions.

What would my brother have said? ... Right. So I'll say the exact opposite.
    Both brothers are/were so irritating.
    One of them had the odd redeeming feature, though.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    kinabalu said:

Thank you for bringing that insight to me. You've mentioned it before but I'd never considered it myself. All makes sense now!

On Putin, Hitchens appears to be the guy who thinks the biggest whore in town is actually a virgin.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

“Good Law Project has seen emails revealing that former No.10 advisor Dominic Cummings referred an offer from two middlemen representing US-based Innova Medical Group within a single hour of being approached.”
    https://twitter.com/Kit_Yates_Maths/status/1629393006943170562

GLP: https://goodlawproject.org/new-company-with-just-85-in-the-bank-made-20m-profit-after-dominic-cummings-referred-innova-medical-into-the-vip-lane/

This may be outrageous. But imagine the outcry from people if we had not got the LFTs.

People forget we were in a crisis. I fear if normal government procurement systems were in place, we might have been waiting a year later...
    This contract took place in July 2020. At that time Britain was opened up, indeed our PM was encouraging us to "eat out to help out". It wasn't in the first wave.
    Wow. Four months after the start of the crisis. LFTs were still available well over a year later, free of charge and in massive numbers. We needed to procure them. Maybe this deal was corrupt; perhaps it was one of the things necessary to allow us to live our lives months later, in between the lockdowns?
    I am not convinced that the LFT programme of testing was an effective means of disease control, and would like this to be an issue looked at in the covid enquiry.

LFTs have low sensitivity to disease, with a high false negative rate even before poor technique in the general public. Hence they are poorly suited to testing asymptomatic people as a form of screening in a general population such as schools or health care staff.

That poor sensitivity is less of an issue as a rapid diagnostic test in symptomatic patients or their immediate contacts.
    They seem to correlate very well indeed with infectious disease, though. They're also highly specific.

While they require several orders of magnitude more viral particles to produce a positive result than does PCR, it seems that that's still an order of magnitude below the amount of virus required for someone to be actively infectious (in the case of Covid).

Also, that's the current state of the art. It's a new technology (as a cheap mass produced diagnostic device), and although the principles are quite simple, I'm pretty sure it could be refined to be substantially more sensitive.

(I am a fan of them, as they have so far now twice prevented me from infecting anyone at either home or work.)
    I am not saying that they are useless. A positive test has some utility. Indeed when I developed a sore throat and headache and tested positive a year ago it was useful.

What I am questioning is whether a negative test in an asymptomatic population (such as schools, hospital and care home staff) is an effective way of controlling the spread of disease. That was how the bulk of them were used. Testing symptom free population has a low pick up rate, and there would be many false negatives unknowingly spreading disease.

I would like to see a proper analysis of this as part of the covid enquiry.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kinabalu said:

Yes, I prefer Chris (and by quite a margin) but I'm no adorer of him. One of those 'thinkers' who especially later in life seemed more intent on demonstrating he could do it rather than getting to somewhere interesting or useful.
  • Options
    Well I never - Janice Turner's Saturday Times article is on Trans.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

One of them had the odd redeeming feature, though.
    Christopher Hitchens had a big following in America as an intellectual, before social media gave a voice to any would-be pundit with an internet connection.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

Go easy on it, mate. Seriously. I think you know that, and make such a comment so people will nag you about it.
    I’m concerned that we’re not entertaining him enough & he’s bored.
    Someone start an argument.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Will Regan's campaign suffer from Ash Dieback?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    kle4 said:

It's one of those classic arguments which devoids the principal actor of any agency or responsibility for their own choices, even if an attempt is made to claim that is not what the argument is doing. It makes everything someone else does the fault of another, even if their response to whatever 'provocation' exists is entirely disproportionate.

His statement that if the Ukrainians stop fighting the war would still continue as the americans would keep it going was just moronic. Who would be fighting it?

When challenged on that he then immediately claimed he didn't say it (even though his words were "But Ukraine could stop fighting tonight and the americans would continue to keep the war going") and that they were strawmanning him - that pushes him into pretty odious territory for me, because it shows him to be utterly dishonest in a very brazen way. Posing it as some intellectual position makes that worse.

The point Kisin makes about Crimea and Donbas, and how rhetoric on regaining it may not match reality is possibly right, since of course even if they might consider that unviable they wouldn't say it now.
    I would like to know what Kisin's preferred solution to the conflict is. I recall at the beginning of the war he wasn't that supportive of it. It sounds here like he thinks the answer is some kind of division of Ukraine with Crimea and Donbass being made independent or aligning with Russia with some kind of meaningful security solution for the remainder of Ukraine to avoid Russia just starting up again a few years down the line. If that can be achieved it should in my view be taken.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

O/T but it is Saturday [edit:] afternoon - earthquake in Crucywel and Blaenau Gwent.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/25/my-whole-bed-shook-south-wales-hit-by-37-magnitude-earthquake

I remember something shaking but I thought it was probably somebody moving something around/dropping it upstairs.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

No.

Or - having realised I have offended against an Internet Convention - I should say "Qtwtian".

I hope that's right.

Qtwtain.

An internet pedant comments.
    And I tried so hard.
  • Options
    I have heard that Grant Shapps is not a fan of abbreviations or acronyms, and does not want his department referred to as "Dez-Nez".

I therefore suggest that we all say Dez-Nez at every opportunity.
  • Options
    What is it with the "Would you prefer not to hear about Mothers Day emails?". Surely if you mind the emails, you also will mind the warning email to opt out of them?

Definitely on the path to becoming grumpy old man here.....
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

I believe that the Chinese lab leak, woke and AI stuff is all a conspiracy created by Aliens.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223

What is it with the "Would you prefer not to hear about Mothers Day emails?". Surely if you mind the emails, you also will mind the warning email to opt out of them?

Definitely on the path to becoming grumpy old man here.....

As someone whose mother passed over 20 years ago, it's not a big deal to me either way, but a chance to opt out is appreciated.
  • Options
    ping said:

I don’t post on Twitter, so I’ll post on here in the hope @AlastairMeeks reads it;

A minor point - I agree, the story is lovely - but the bit about her objecting to Tchaikovsky, isn’t.

She’s wrong. Cancelling Russian culture is morally problematic and strategically counterproductive. It empowers Putin.

It’s perhaps understandable that ordinary Ukrainians might think it a good idea, but we should tell them that they’re wrong and refuse.

Mr Meeks is one of the people I pay most attention to, on the occasions I check my Twitter. He’s generally pretty on the money.

Not this time!

It's a measure of how ridiculous people are getting these days that anyone would think that trying to erase Tchaikovsky would be in any sense an appropriate response to Soviet Putinite aggression in the 21st century.

Almost as stupid as trying to erase Christianity because you disapprove of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    Chris said:

ping said:

Not this time!

It's a measure of how ridiculous people are getting these days that anyone would think that trying to erase Tchaikovsky would be in any sense an appropriate response to Soviet Putinite aggression in the 21st century.

Almost as stupid as trying to erase Christianity because you disapprove of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians.
    Anyone who tries to stop me listening to Borodin will die a very painful death.

I haven't worked out the details but it will involve pineapple pizzas, a certain retro English rock band and boiling oil.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

“Good Law Project has seen emails revealing that former No.10 advisor Dominic Cummings referred an offer from two middlemen representing US-based Innova Medical Group within a single hour of being approached.”
    https://twitter.com/Kit_Yates_Maths/status/1629393006943170562

GLP: https://goodlawproject.org/new-company-with-just-85-in-the-bank-made-20m-profit-after-dominic-cummings-referred-innova-medical-into-the-vip-lane/

This may be outrageous. But imagine the outcry from people if we had not got the LFTs.

People forget we were in a crisis. I fear if normal government procurement systems were in place, we might have been waiting a year later...
    This contract took place in July 2020. At that time Britain was opened up, indeed our PM was encouraging us to "eat out to help out". It wasn't in the first wave.
    Wow. Four months after the start of the crisis. LFTs were still available well over a year later, free of charge and in massive numbers. We needed to procure them. Maybe this deal was corrupt; perhaps it was one of the things necessary to allow us to live our lives months later, in between the lockdowns?
    I am not convinced that the LFT programme of testing was an effective means of disease control, and would like this to be an issue looked at in the covid enquiry.

LFTs have low sensitivity to disease, with a high false negative rate even before poor technique in the general public. Hence they are poorly suited to testing asymptomatic people as a form of screening in a general population such as schools or health care staff.

That poor sensitivity is less of an issue as a rapid diagnostic test in symptomatic patients or their immediate contacts.
    They seem to correlate very well indeed with infectious disease, though. They're also highly specific.

While they require several orders of magnitude more viral particles to produce a positive result than does PCR, it seems that that's still an order of magnitude below the amount of virus required for someone to be actively infectious (in the case of Covid).

Also, that's the current state of the art. It's a new technology (as a cheap mass produced diagnostic device), and although the principles are quite simple, I'm pretty sure it could be refined to be substantially more sensitive.

(I am a fan of them, as they have so far now twice prevented me from infecting anyone at either home or work.)
    I am not saying that they are useless. A positive test has some utility. Indeed when I developed a sore throat and headache and tested positive a year ago it was useful.

What I am questioning is whether a negative test in an asymptomatic population (such as schools, hospital and care home staff) is an effective way of controlling the spread of disease. That was how the bulk of them were used. Testing symptom free population has a low pick up rate, and there would be many false negatives unknowingly spreading disease.

I would like to see a proper analysis of this as part of the covid enquiry.
    The main point of testing people without symptoms was to pick up positives a couple of days before they came symptomatic, meaning that person would avoid two days worth of spreading the virus.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

I believe that the Chinese lab leak, woke and AI stuff is all a conspiracy created by Aliens.
    I believe that the Aliens and indeed the Chinese, are all a conspiracy created by AI.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

I have heard that Grant Shapps is not a fan of abbreviations or acronyms, and does not want his department referred to as "Dez-Nez".

I therefore suggest that we all say Dez-Nez at every opportunity.

Thankfully he won't have to contend with that issue for very long.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

Only teasing. I’ve bought about 80 tablets and in seven weeks I’ve taken a grand total of 4

I’m not headed for the homeless opioid camps of San Francisco quite yet

That said it IS nice. A sovereign remedy for tedium
  • Options
    BBC News leading on the Nigerian election.

I read that one politician was caught with the equivalent of several hundred thousand quid and a list of people whose votes he was going to buy.

Anyone risked a bet on the outcome?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

Only teasing. I’ve bought about 80 tablets and in seven weeks I’ve taken a grand total of 4

I’m not headed for the homeless opioid camps of San Francisco quite yet

That said it IS nice. A sovereign remedy for tedium
    As I have mentioned previously, our rabbit takes it every day. Hopefully it makes him feel like a happy bunny.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Icarus said:

Not much point the EU shifting its position -the problem is the DUP. They just cant stomach a Sinn Fein First Minister at Stormont.

Forget the DUP. They look like they will shed further votes in all directions - to the Alliance, to the non-mentalist UUP, and to the totally mental TUV. I believe that an election has been put off for a further year of DUP obstructionist non-government. Sunak should call their bluff and have elections in May.
    The DUP are in fact, polling pretty strongly, right now.

The latest poll gives SF 32%, DUP 27%, TUV 5% (that 5% would transfer to DUP).

So, between them, the face-eating leopards are on 64%.

Like it or not, the GFA makes it sensible to vote for face-eating leopards. The growth in support for Alliance has come from other centrist parties.
  • Options
    I was so bored this morning I tried to fly IMMEDIATELY to Rangoon

I spent 3 hours getting all the paperwork in order, insurance, mad covid shit, endless red tape, got it all done, was congratulating myself, Evisa sorted, then I got an email telling me my instant e-visa would actually take 3 working days minimum

That’s when I popped a trammy, and drank half a bottle of 19 crimes shiraz, at 10 am

Turns out that’s quite superb for curing monotony. Add a couple of salty margaritas. Some modestly kinky porn. A chapter of Simon Sebag Montefiore’s WORLD HISTORY. An hour in the sun, half an our in the gym. The day passes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The point Kisin makes about Crimea and Donbas, and how rhetoric on regaining it may not match
    reality is possibly right, since of course even if they might consider that unviable they
    wouldn't say it now.
    Hitchens is one of those people like Ann Coulter that I have a special dislike for.

They are highly intelligent, but at the same time, actively malevolent.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

BBC News leading on the Nigerian election.

I read that one politician was caught with the equivalent of several hundred thousand quid and a list of people whose votes he was going to buy.

Anyone risked a bet on the outcome?

Why risk a bet when you can buy a result?
  • Options
    Tres said:
    Everyone making a song and dance about Forbes' version of Christianity. And yet the Catholic Church, to which Bozo has converted, has many similar views, but nobody highlights this as a reason why Bozo, Mogg or any other Papist is unsuitable for high office.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Leon said:

I spent 3 hours getting all the paperwork in order, insurance, mad covid shit, endless red tape, got it all done, was congratulating myself, Evisa sorted, then I got an email telling me my instant e-visa would actually take 3 working days minimum

That’s when I popped a trammy, and drank half a bottle of 19 crimes shiraz, at 10 am

Turns out that’s quite superb for curing monotony. Add a couple of salty margaritas. Some modestly kinky porn. A chapter of Simon Sebag Montefiore’s WORLD HISTORY. An hour in the sun, half an our in the gym. The day passes

How’s the Montefiore?
    Does the schtick of following one “family” (I hear him talk about it on a podcast) work?
  • Options
    Tres said:
    That’s hilariously calamitous

Surely the Nits can’t be mad enough to elect the South Uist Salafist?

She will never escape this. It will be hurled at her continuously and do endless damage
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

She will never escape this. It will be hurled at her continuously and do endless damage
    It’s even more over for her than it was before.
  • Options

Leon said:

How’s the Montefiore?
    Does the schtick of following one “family” (I hear him talk about it on a podcast) work?
    It’s really really REALLY weird

But I’m about to pick up my laksa. I’ll reply more cogently anon
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Tres said:
    Everyone making a song and dance about Forbes' version of Christianity. And yet the Catholic Church, to which Bozo has converted, has many similar views, but nobody highlights this as a reason why Bozo, Mogg or any other Papist is unsuitable for high office.

They would if Bozo said or wrote the same sorts of things as Forbes has.

If they were to forced to the think about it, the public would probably quite like Boris’s Augustinian philosophy.
  • Options

Tres said:

Because any old fool knows the likes of Bozo and JRM see religion more as guidelines rather than actual rules to live their life by.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    When I saw that "major university or serious university in the West", I got stuck. Goodwin seems to be implying that major universities in the West are not serious. Probably he was just being careless in his writing, as almost all of us are from time to time.

But it does raise interesting questions. For example: Are major universities serious about these issues? Should they be?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    Leon said:

That is a seriously hazardous level of Weltschmerz, you are going to end up doing a Bourdain stranglewank.
  • Options

Tres said:

Everyone knows, however, that Boris believes not a word of it. He is someone who is completely without a sense of right and wrong.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited February 2023
    (Off topic) just received by email;

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Tres said:

Everyone knows, however, that Boris believes not a word of it. He is someone who is completely without a sense of right and wrong.

And JRM got away with it by not getting high enough for it to matter.

But otherwise, the only two answers are a) 'I will vote for freedoms, even if my personal concience won't let me use them" or
    b) stand in an explicitly theocratic platform.
  • Options

Tres said:

If they were to forced to the think about it, the public would probably quite like Boris’s Augustinian philosophy.
    Perhaps "Augustinian philosophy" is a bit highfalutin for a dedication to shagging every woman in sight.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

That is a seriously hazardous level of Weltschmerz, you are going to end up doing a Bourdain stranglewank.
    His suicide at 62 does haunt me. He and I have/had similar life histories (tho he was obviously much more famous)

Heroin and risk taking, then money and success - and still more risk taking

Why did he kill himself? Cuckolded? Bored? A terrible mistake? The pointlessness of old age after such a fun life?

I love his shows, and I’ve heard him use lines that are - word perfect - things I have said myself. Not claiming they are amazing, just uncannily similar in world-outlook
  • Options

Tres said:

To be fair, even if they do hold those views sincerely, they would come fairly low down on the long list of why those two shouldn't hold high office.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Tres said:

And JRM got away with it by not getting high enough for it to matter.
    JRM's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw
  • Options

Leon said:

Tres said:

Not per the betting it isn't. Forbes and Yousaf are either side of evens and close. Regan - who does come over as the most lightweight to me - is the one out with the washing.
  • Options
    And Forbes has been the Scottish finance minister with nobody raising an eye-brow about her religious views. Leadership is another matter.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Tres said:
    Whereas we all know that the Pope and the Patriarch of Constantinople are often women. As are most RC priests.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Not per the betting it isn't. Forbes and Yousaf are either side of evens and close. Regan - who does come over as the most lightweight to me - is the one out with the washing.
    I’m with Leon on this. It’s the reason I want her to win.

Kates views on no sex before marriage is laugh out loud funny. But the thought of her being a parent to someone who is gay isn’t funny at all. So I think this makes her my preference for winning this, because her prejudice will be very much in the spotlight throughout her time as leader, this will get people talking and arguing and thinking about prejudice based positions like opposing all sex marriage, and that would be really good, exactly what the world actually needs to focus on outdated outgoing philosophies built on prejudice, and expunge them as soon as possible now. So I can see how a lot of good can come from such a senior UK political leader holding such views as hers, helping to maintain the spotlight on such things.

In terms of the independence politics of it, none of them seem to have come up with very good responses in interviews about how to achieve it from here. I don’t understand why there is so much hostility to using all Westminster elections and Scottish government elections as pleblicites on support for independence - it’s a fantastic idea for maximising SNP vote every time.

The best result for unionists, would be Ash, as her interviews are car crashes, she’s out of her depth. The worst result for Conservatives would be Kate, as she seeks independence but has social and economic values closer to conservatives. Best result for Labour, Kate, for same reasons in reverse to why she is worst for Conservative vote.

Who do I think wins? Kate. Even if Humza has the SNP establishment support, for, as someone wittily put it, applauding everything Sturgeon said and done like a demented seal, I still don’t think that’s enough to stop Kate now.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Tres said:

Because any old fool knows the likes of Bozo and JRM see religion more as guidelines rather than actual rules to live their life by.
    Tres said:

Tres said:

I think boris is more a Borgia Pope kind of catholic.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

The point Kisin makes about Crimea and Donbas, and how rhetoric on regaining it may not match
    reality is possibly right, since of course even if they might consider that unviable they
    wouldn't say it now.
    Hitchens is one of those people like Ann Coulter that I have a special dislike for.

I think Hitchens genuinely believes what he is saying. I wouldn't accuse him of speaking untruths. He's either blinkered or ignorant. Though as they say, that isn't an excuse.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Tres said:

Perhaps "Augustinian philosophy" is a bit highfalutin for a dedication to shagging every woman in sight.
    Like a fat person being a gourmand
  • Options
    Tres said:
    The simple fact is the Free Church has some very strong views. Kate Forbes is not merely a member of the congregation, she is culturally of that Church. Any doctrine they have, she will believe, I think. Including that other Christians, who do not live the Bible in this way are not true Christians. That will be interesting, if it comes out.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    malcolmg said:

Re Putin, a friend sent this

“The 3-day job is now 12,000% behind schedule, easily the same order of magnitude over budget, has an H&S record from their worst nightmares, and as yet hasn't come close to achieving a single one of its stated objectives.

Which U.K. government dept. Should he apply to?”

Fergusson Marine….
    Tut tut, bad spelling and you Scottish as well
    It’s a good idea - Putin is definitely in the New Upper 10,000. So the reward for failure needs to be a job with more money.

£10m a year to build Scotch ferries?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Re Putin, a friend sent this

“The 3-day job is now 12,000% behind schedule, easily the same order of magnitude over budget, has an H&S record from their worst nightmares, and as yet hasn't come close to achieving a single one of its stated objectives.

Which U.K. government dept. Should he apply to?”

Fergusson Marine….
    Tut tut, bad spelling and you Scottish as well
    Self-identified ...
    LOL :D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

The betting is wrong.
  • Options
    I think it is fair to say that whoever leads the SNP next, will be a big step down from Sturgeon.

So on the betting front Labour at minimum gaining seats is a good bet, outside chance they end up most seats too, depending on how the UK is looking.

I think the attack of Labour being reliant on the SNP will fall on deaf ears this time around, Starmer has not only shut it down, none of the candidates seem like they can outdo him.
  • Options
    Only just had a chance to catch up with this thread.

I was speaking at the Wokeism conference this morning.
  • Options
    Herald view on Kate Forbes:

Every politician, every person, is entitled to hold views guided by faith, but the people of Scotland must have confidence that the man or woman who leads their country will vehemently defend the battles on human rights that have already been won and passionately fight the battles on human rights that are yet to come. And Kate Forbes, although a confident, able minister, fails that test.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendumnews/23346296.herald-view-able-confident-kate-forbes-fails-equality-test/
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Leon said:

How can you live like that FFS? I’ve been working diligently for 22 years as a solicitor and I’ve nearly earned enough to buy a 2014 Nissan Juke. If you’d applied yourself you could have had the same.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

How can you live like that FFS? I’ve been working diligently for 22 years as a solicitor and I’ve nearly earned enough to buy a 2014 Nissan Juke. If you’d applied yourself you could have had the same.
    Do you honestly think any of this is real? It's fiction.
  • Options

Were they as dozy a bunch as they sound?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Kates views on no sex before marriage is laugh out loud funny. But the thought of her being a parent to someone who is gay isn’t funny at all. So I think this makes her my preference for winning this, because her prejudice will be very much in the spotlight throughout her time as leader, this will get people talking and arguing and thinking about prejudice based positions like opposing all sex marriage, and that would be really good, exactly what the world actually needs to focus on outdated outgoing philosophies built on prejudice, and expunge them as soon as possible now. So I can see how a lot of good can come from such a senior UK political leader holding such views as hers, helping to maintain the spotlight on such things.

In terms of the independence politics of it, none of them seem to have come up with very good responses in interviews about how to achieve it from here. I don’t understand why there is so much hostility to using all Westminster elections and Scottish government elections as pleblicites on support for independence - it’s a fantastic idea for maximising SNP vote every time.

The best result for unionists, would be Ash, as her interviews are car crashes, she’s out of her depth. The worst result for Conservatives would be Kate, as she seeks independence but has social and economic values closer to conservatives. Best result for Labour, Kate, for same reasons in reverse to why she is worst for Conservative vote.

Who do I think wins? Kate. Even if Humza has the SNP establishment support, for, as someone wittily put it, applauding everything Sturgeon said and done like a demented seal, I still don’t think that’s enough to stop Kate now.
    Bit all over the place here, confused London by looks of it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

You frothers have to realise it is not southern snowflakes that are voting here, it is real people who care about the real world not imaginary concerns on who is married to who. People do not give a shit who other people are married or not married to , they have more to bother them.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

wouldn't say it now.

He's bonkers, like his brother.

I long ago worked out that there's no event or outcome that would ever please Peter Hitchens.

He's driven by contrarianism and negativity.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Tres said:
    The simple fact is the Free Church has some very strong views. Kate Forbes is not merely a member of the congregation, she is culturally of that Church. Any doctrine they have, she will believe, I think. Including that other Christians, who do not live the Bible in this way are not true Christians. That will be interesting, if it comes out.
    Peoples Front of Scotland?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Speaking or sleeping? Thought it must be the latter as you're not woke aiui.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    Do Britons think Keir Starmer understands the problems the United Kingdom is facing and has a plan to address them? (23 February)

All Respondents

Yes 43%
    No 39%

2019 Conservative Voters

Yes 36%
    No 52%

2019 Labour Voters

Yes 60%
    No 29%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1629481352654475264

36% of 2019 Tory voters saying Starmer understands the problems facing the UK and has a problem to address them, is surely a terrible statistic for the Tories.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

I have a friend like this.

Now and again, you do meet someone your age (or younger) who are very religious and don't believe in sex before marriage.

They still exist.
  • Options
    ping said:

(Off topic) just received by email;

I got the same email.

Bit of a screw up, isn't it?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    Deleted
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

I would like to know what Kisin's preferred solution to the conflict is. I recall at the beginning of the war he wasn't that supportive of it. It sounds here like he thinks the answer is some kind of division of Ukraine with Crimea and Donbass being made independent or aligning with Russia with some kind of meaningful security solution for the remainder of Ukraine to avoid Russia just starting up again a few years down the line. If that can be achieved it should in my view be taken.
    Yes till next time they want another chunk, Ukranians are better fighting to the bitter end now rather than being gobbled up a bit at a time.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

wouldn't say it now.

I long ago worked out that there's no event or outcome that would ever please Peter Hitchens.

Chris Hitchens was not bonkers. He was a brilliant journalist, polemicist, and speaker (when on form)

And I disagreed with him on most things. But I acknowledge the talent, verve and brio

Martin Amis’ book on their friendship - INSIDE STORY (terrible title) - is good on this
  • Options

Herald view on Kate Forbes:

Every politician, every person, is entitled to hold views guided by faith, but the people of Scotland must have confidence that the man or woman who leads their country will vehemently defend the battles on human rights that have already been won and passionately fight the battles on human rights that are yet to come. And Kate Forbes, although a confident, able minister, fails that test.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendumnews/23346296.herald-view-able-confident-kate-forbes-fails-equality-test/

Yet another comic unionist toilet roll
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Imagine the repartee over the kitchen dinner table chez Hitchens in their youth.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

You frothers have to realise it is not southern snowflakes that are voting here, it is real people who care about the real world not imaginary concerns on who is married to who. People do not give a shit who other people are married or not married to , they have more to bother them.
    But this stuff really bothers FORBES (and also lots of Woke or even just progressive SNP MPs and activists)

Forbes as leader means years of bitter infighting. Possibly splits. How can someone like Mhairi Black stay in the party with Forbes as leader, after her Twitter tirade?

I still don’t understand why Angus Robertson didnae stand. He’d be firm favorite now
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

wouldn't say it now.

Chris Hitchens was not bonkers. He was a brilliant journalist, polemicist, and speaker (when on form)

And I disagreed with him on most things. But I acknowledge the talent, verve and brio

Martin Amis’ book on their friendship - INSIDE STORY (terrible title) - is good on this
    No question which one was the bright brother.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Fuck, Tramadol is NICE

I believe that the Aliens and indeed the Chinese, are all a conspiracy created by AI.
    Sigh. We been through this lots of times

It’s a conspiracy of WokeTransIllegalImmigrantAlienAIs

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,092

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

I have a friend like this.

Now and again, you do meet someone your age (or younger) who are very religious and don't believe in sex before marriage.

They still exist.
    Its an extreme view, but so is the view that people should just sleep around all the time, which is what a lot of young people feel pressure to do. Neither are conducive to long term human happiness, IMO.
  • Options
    I like/liked both Hitchens brothers.
    Peter obviously has some batshit views, but he argues them honestly, so far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Don't know much about Scottish politics, but the SNP seem to have had the great good fortune to have had two political giants in succession.
    These three seem to be a downgrade?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

wouldn't say it now.

No question which one was the bright brother.
    Certainly the more charismatic. Peter H always feels faintly tragic, to me. He tries to be polemical like his brother but he’s too incoherent and confusing to bring it off
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

But this stuff really bothers FORBES (and also lots of Woke or even just progressive SNP MPs and activists)

Forbes as leader means years of bitter infighting. Possibly splits. How can someone like Mhairi Black stay in the party with Forbes as leader, after her Twitter tirade?

I still don’t understand why Angus Robertson didnae stand. He’d be firm favorite now
    Black going would be a bonus, but no chance she will leave the gravy train. Robertson was obviously not keen re the skeletons coming out the cupboard, same as Sturgeon, they are all in same stuff.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Don't know much about Scottish politics, but the SNP seem to have had the great good fortune to have had two political giants in succession.
    These three seem to be a downgrade?

I’ll say it again the best result for the SNP - from this bad position - is Ash Regan winning, and holding the fort, and proving at least reasonably competent. None of the three can lead a charge to Indy, there is no route and they don’t have the authority. Yusaf is a nasty piece of work

Then in 5-10 years an older, wiser Forbes could take over, with her views mellowed, and more essential experience, and she really COULD be a threat to UKG
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I can assure you that my imminent purchase of a 64 Reg Automatic Nissan Juke is very real!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    Leon said:

Tres said:

South Uist?!

Ms Forbes is not from Uibhist a Deas; she represents a chunk of the inner isles and the mainland; and most of all Uibhist a Deas is the last place in the world to be a FCS stronghold.

Hint: there is a whacking great statue on a hill there. Bana Thighearna nan Eilean, aka Our Lady of the Isles.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    O/T: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/24/crystal-portrait-of-rishi-sunak-sold-for-25000-at-tory-fundraising-event

Two questions occur:

1. Why on earth do these people think the current Tory party is worth funding?
    2. How do they afford such prices without the tax cuts we're told are essential for the economy?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

The betting is wrong.
    It's certainly volatile and interesting. KF has yoyo'd from 2 to 15 and back to 2 again. Regan has been 5 and 25.

Are you discounting that good members poll for Forbes then?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited February 2023
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I can assure you that my imminent purchase of a 64 Reg Automatic Nissan Juke is very real!
    The Nissan Juke is surely the ugliest car ever made?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

A photo for you both

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Anecdote department - we kicked off the canvass season today, with 56 contacts. Compared with the same people in 2019, there is a substantial swing from Don't Know to Labour, and Tory to Won't Vote. Almost no direct Con-Lab transfers though also almost no Labour defections. Overall very positive, but mostly due to much higher willingness to vote among Labour voters than (former) Con. The LD/Lab/Green division is obscure here as we have one candidate from each party for 3 seats, vs 3 Tories, so generally people who vote for one of us also plan to vote for the others.
  • Options

O/T: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/24/crystal-portrait-of-rishi-sunak-sold-for-25000-at-tory-fundraising-event

Two questions occur:

1. Why on earth do these people think the current Tory party is worth funding?
    2. How do they afford such prices without the tax cuts we're told are essential for the economy?

A further question hit me.
    This is for the 80:20 campaign. To defend 80 seats and gain a further 20.
    My question was
    "What exactly are they on?"
This discussion has been closed.