Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s odds-on that Johnson won’t be an MP after the general election – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 13,908
    Andy_JS said:

"Female prison reform boss is jailed for 'worst case of coercive behaviour' judge had ever seen: Senior manager subjected husband to 15 years of daily wine-fuelled beatings, verbal humiliation and even made him clean up her faeces"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11790319/Prison-reform-boss-subjected-husband-15-years-abuse-jailed-four-years.html

Poor guy. What an awfu situation to be in. It should always be remembered men can be victims of domestic violence too and although not as prevalent as women still needs tackling. It happened to a friend of mine many years ago. Punched, abused had cigarettes stubbed out on him, threatened with a knife.

“On one occasion she defecated on the floor and forced him to clean it up, and on another she beat him with a wine bottle so hard it permanently disfigured his ear.“
    felix said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/journoontheedge/status/1629150518944714752

Boris Johnson has been visiting Stoke-on-Trent today.

(Incase you missed it! Hah!)

It is incredibly depressing that Johnson still shows his face, fined as a PM and lied to the HoC. The Tory Party is in dire straights

Boris is the only Conservative leader since 1945 to win every seat in Stoke on Trent. Of course local Tories want him there!
    Winning stoke on trent is like boasting I just purchased 100 acres of prime swamp
    Nice of you to remind us oh Labour view the red wall.
    That rather common view of the red wall among a large chunk of the Labour Party is one of the reasons they lost it in the first place. The party of the working class dedicated to improving communities up and down the country now views them with disdain.
  • Meanwhile, in Turkey Erdogan is moving decisively and swiftly... to silence reporters who wrote about the earthquake and slow aid response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64759377
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,114
    Taz said:

felix said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

It is incredibly depressing that Johnson still shows his face, fined as a PM and lied to the HoC. The Tory Party is in dire straights

Boris is the only Conservative leader since 1945 to win every seat in Stoke on Trent. Of course local Tories want him there!
    Winning stoke on trent is like boasting I just purchased 100 acres of prime swamp
    That rather common view of the red wall among a large chunk of the Labour Party is one of the reasons they lost it in the first place. The party of the working class dedicated to improving communities up and down the country now views them with disdain.
    Yeah, but Pagan hates the Labour Party so it is hardly a Labour view!

To be fair he pretty much hates everybody.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,113

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

How did the SNP end up with just these 3 candidates ?

It really is a poor choice for their membership to chose from and Labour must think Christmas has come early .

The choice being Mr Angry , Miss Bible Basher and Miss Non-entity .

All 3 are Titans compared to the dross in Labour. You have obviously zero knowledge of Scottish politics and the Labour London regional sockpuppet party.
    Just catching up on SNP It's a Knockout.

Alex Neil attacking Humza.
    Mhairi Black attacking Kate.
    Ash attacking Peter Murrell.

Hmm.

If a test of leadership is securing your own succession then Nicola is not quite measuring up to Eck.

I'm quite at a loss to know who of these three is going to emerge blinking into the sunlight, but their first act will surely be to get someone to remove the knives from their back and wash the blood from the walls.
    Good that ASh knows who the villain is, Humza is as forgetful as Imelda, Mhairi Black is a sandwich short of a picnic gravy trainer.
    Good evening Malc

What a mess the SNP have got into

You do not need to tell me but I am really interested in which of the three you will vote for, or indeed abstain as I did when the choice was Johnson v Hunt
    Hello G , I am not a member , I would not give the Murrells a penny of my cash, so do not have a vote. For certain it would not be Humza who is the Murrells sockpuppet. Of the two women I have never seen Forbes challenge any Sturgeon order an dsh educked teh GRR vote, whereas Regan resigned rather than vot efor GRR so if I had a vote it would be Regan.
    Thanks for that Malc and it does seem as if Sturgeon resigning has put the cat amongst the pigeons
    I am really glad to see the back of her, will see how all the investigating goes now.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,113
    DougSeal said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

rwatson said:

rcs1000 said:

rwatson said:

Omnium said:

There's a real gap in my understanding about the Ukraine war.

It seems that its possible that a delegation from India, Sir Lanka, SA, Bangladesh, Pakistan could turn up on my doorstep (or much more likely someone who matters doorstep) and argue a case that isn't so clear as it seems to us.

These nations are about as friendly as it gets - or at least they should be. What do they see that we don't?

this war is ultimately about preserving the US dollar as reserve currency...as Russia promotes de dollarisation of the world...thats why the US is uninterested in peace talks
    Really?

So Russia invaded Ukraine, killed and raped their citizens, and abducted their children because they don't want the US Dollar to be the reserve currency?

And you're promoting the idea that Putin is the sane one?
    Dont forget the democratically elected leader of ukraine was overthrown in 2014 in a us backed coup. No Russias main fear is NATO on their backdoor with nuclear weapons in Ukraine...it is the US who are worried about the US dollar as reserve currency...lose this and the US standard of living collapses...
    You said "this war is ultimately about preserving the US dollar as reserve currency".

Are you saying that Ukraine is just the beginning for Russia as it seeks to overthrow the hegemony of the US Dollar?
    What next? The hegemony of blue toys for boys and pink for girls? There is no end to the infamy that the US political/industrial complex won't impose on us! When Ukraine is defeated we shall have mid-lilac for boys and possibly a delightful shimmering green for girls. Then, then! Shall the world be free!
    At primary school I got into a fight with someone over whether or not yellow was a girls’ colour. My opponent said it was but I was most insistent it wasn’t. Mrs Kirkbride broke it up and sent us to see the head who not only gave us a right telling off he refused to come down on either side of the argument.
    Did the girl beat the crap out of you before it was stopped
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 28,012
    I think the deal must be perceived as excellent within Government circles - we wouldn't be seeing Sunak's briefers being so cocksure if it were not. That is good, and Sunak will deserve praise (albeit that praise should also go to Boris, and to Truss, the originator of the Protocol Bill - for getting the EU to return to the negotiating table).
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,883
    Rather amusing that Putin could put up an anniversary troll on PB, but couldn’t put up any anniversary missiles in Ukraine.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,854

kle4 said:

If the reporting earlier this week was accurate, Rishi’s deal frees up Britain to apply its own VAT, subsidy and other rules, it’s a major triumph for the Prime Minister.

We have to hope he is successful.

It is time for Sunak to do the deal and take on the ERG and DUP no matter the consequences

The majority of the people of Northern Ireland want this deal as does the UK and EU
    All you're showing off here is your complete lack of understanding of the Good Friday Agreement. Matters proceed in Northern Ireland on the basis of the assent of all the communities, and the Unionist community is represented by the DUP. So they can't really be 'taken on' by Sunak like some Kinnock reboot; that's not how it works. All that can happen, as someone else suggested, is that the Unionist community chooses someone else to represent them, someone more amenable to the UK Government giving concessions to the EU - that's highly unlikely to say the least.
    It's not about concessions to the EU. Effectively it's about a compromise with Sinn Fein - as the largest party for the Nationalist community.

Remember that we've already breached the Good Friday Agreement, because Northern Ireland was taken out of the EU without its consent. That's why the NI protocol was negotiated to keep NI in the single market.

Clearly, as a compromise, that deal does not satisfy the DUP, but simply pulling NI out of the single market as the DUP want is not going to be a compromise that will satisfy Sinn Fein.

As I've argued before, democracy is ultimately a way of resolving disputes peacefully, and involves a necessary degree of compromise, and an acceptance that people who disagree with you have to get their way to an extent for the system to function.

So who is going to find a compromise acceptable to both the DUP and Sinn Fein?
    Tony Blair
    He's not even 70, plenty of time for a return to the frontline.
    I believe he will make a return under Keir. I have it on good authority he will be a key advisor, if not headed for the Lords.
    Tony Blair would make a superb Foreign Secretary. Single-handedly this would make a big difference to the UK’s currently dismal reputation.

David Lammy might feel aggrieved, but not if he was given something like Home Secretary where I actually think he could be good.
    The DUP wouldn’t touch a thing offered by Blair.

For years, the NI agreement was treated by the governments as “Give SF what they want. Convince the Unionist politicians that they’ll get something for going along with it, then give them nothing. After all they don’t have any Men of Violence (TM) in their tent.”

Now the DUP have figured out the game. Do you think the threats to the EU customs officials were accidents?

So people should stop whining. You trained the leopards to eat faces. Now you’ve got face eating leopards.
    Only 21% of the NI voters supported the DUP at the Assembly Election last year.
    That’s the point. The Good Friday Agreement gave explicit veto power to the largest party on each side.

Which was then the SDLP and UUP.

The governments (Irish and British - and American) proceeded to make it all about the requirements of the Republicans (not the Nationalists).

So the voters switched to the winners - SF - and the opposition to the winners - the DUP.

Be more violent. Be more extreme. It was preached by the state….

After decades of that lesson, you are surprised?
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

felix said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah, but Pagan hates the Labour Party so it is hardly a Labour view!

To be fair he pretty much hates everybody.
    I wasn’t commenting on pagan specifically and didn’t say it was a labour view but it is certainly a view among a large chunk in labour.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,854
    Sandpit said:

Rather amusing that Putin could put up an anniversary troll on PB, but couldn’t put up any anniversary missiles in Ukraine.

Apparently he did try and put up a Mighty Weapon (ICBM test). But he couldn’t get it up.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,260
    Stocky said:

Been speaking with SNP leadership contender @AshReganSNP. She says her independence plan is not defacto referendum but a “voter empowerment mechanism” denies she’s Alex Salmond’s candidate, says there’s a conflict of interest in having Peter Murrell as party CEO.

Believes she is the “unity candidate” for the SNP and wider independence movement, is spiritual not religious but respects others views - and wants people to respect her decision to send her kids to private school.

Thread with several videos

https://twitter.com/ginadavidsonlbc/status/1629064619292491778

"conflict of interest in having Peter Murrell as party CEO" - pretty much what Malcy has been saying.
    "voter empowerment mechanism".

Do we have the new age Sir Humphrey in our midst?
This discussion has been closed.