Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

There’s life in the old dog yet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923
    Cookie said:

"It’s the finances which prove the strongest cord. None of the Celtic nations pay their way"

In 1921, Ireland was poorer than the rest of the UK. Using you argument, it should not have broken away.

Now, go & visit County Kildare or Meath. Then cross the Irish Sea to Ceredigion or Meirionnydd. The difference is stark.

The former is way, way, way more prosperous than the latter. This was not so in 1921.

Which they've done by massively cutting corporation tax rates.
    Sure ... but it shows why @Alanbrooke is wrong.
    I don't think Alanbrooke is wrong.
    What ROI shows is that a poor nation can, over time, become a rich one. (It took ROI 100 years. But I'm not suggesting it would necessarily take Wales or Scotland that long: ROI made a lot of sub-optimal decisions along the way.)
    But an independent Wales or Scotland would have to take a lot of very different decisions to those that they currently take to make that happen. Wales, in particular, seems mustard keen to drive any creation of wealth out of the principality as quickly as possible.
    As per my comment to your dumb sidekick Bart, Scotland is 2nd only to London in the UK for finances
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton: Lowest % to say they approve of the government's performance on the NHS that we've recorded.

Do British voters app… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1628366493300797440

It's not the Govts performance on the NHS it's the NHS's performance
    Indeed. A plausible policy would be, more or less: Close the Department of Health and transfer it to the Treasury. Set up a multi party commission regularly to decide only what % of GDP shall be the NHS budget for the year. Write a cheque. Go away. Refer all questions to the NHS.

AKA depoliticise the NHS

The only problem is that you assume the NHS will then treat patients. It might equally become a hive of producer interest - in the interests of the people running the NHS Quango (or whatever it will be).

This has been a problem with the NHS Since it was created - the idea of patients coming first is remarkably recent. The original ethos was that the patients should take what they are given. And be grateful.
    Perfectly good point. But as that has been a problem so far, I don't think my (implausible) solution would make it worse.

When a hospital starts killing patients really well, it takes serious outside intervention to break through the silence. Think of a few scandals.

You need goals, a regulator.... and you are back to accountability....
    Yes. The current regulation obviously doesn't work. So it is a different solution required.

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Hope you all like Pancakes. Might be all we've got to eat for a few weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64729317
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

WillG said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FWIW I think it's likely Scotland would vote for independence. Brexit has made it slightly more likely to go Yes in the context where it was already 50/50.

The tricky thing for nationalists is getting that choice in front of the population. The Union hangs on a procedure not happening.

I’ll argue the contrary, that, even if the question were put to the Scottish public, the issues around borders, debts, and currency, have made the case for independence more difficult.

The Scottish Nationalists should find a way to lobby the EU hard, for a digital border solution to the impasse over Northern Ireland. Because an independent Scotland wanting to join the EU, would otherwise need a very hard and physical border with England.

Talking of Ireland, Scotland’s best chance of prosperity as an independent nation would be to adopt the Irish model of being a big free zone.
    It took Ireland about 60 years of poverty, post independence, for her left wing economic views to be dropped and embrace that thinking. I bet Scotland would be similar. Anyone arguing for a centre right policy would be slurred as a Tory.
    Well this is the interesting question. We all seem to be agreed that a country doesn't need to take 100 years to go from poor to rich - about 20-40 will do. (A generation. Or three Scottish generations :wink:)

But how quickly will those countries' polities allow them to make the necessary decisions? I'd say at least a generation.

I have some sympathy with the separatists, and I certainly agree with @YBarddCwsc that the status quo isn't working. And the pre-devolution arrangements didn't work either. But It'll be a bumpy ride to get to the sunlit uplands, both economically and politically, and the outcome is by no means certain.
    I expect if Scotland becomes independent it will probably take 50-60 years for them to come up to English standards, yes. About 30 years to ditch the leftwing politics, then another 20 to see their politics work once they hit the right ones.

But that's better than never.

And over time its taking countries less time to adapt to independence, as collectively people learn from mistakes of prior nations achieving it. It took the Irish 75 years to adapt and catch up, but that's less than half time it took the Americans who had a very bloody Civil War in-between. Neither nation would look back now though and wish away their independence, and why should the Scots if they achieve it?
    What a dummy , if you could read you would know Scotland is 2nd only to London in the UK for finances.
    Er…..no.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/countryandregionalpublicsectorfinances/financialyearending2021#net-fiscal-balance
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Dura_Ace said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

WillG said:

I see the images out of Moscow today show the opening stages of what was predicted a while ago. Russia is becoming a junior partner of China. Far from making Russia strong again, Putin is returning the country to being a vassal of an Asian power.

This of course is history repeating itself. The Duchy of Moscow got its start as a vassal of the Mongols. Moscow's overlords were happy to have the state take its 30 pieces of silver in return for helping Mongolia exploit the other Eastern Slavs.

This is the question then for the Russian people. Do they want to be a vassal state for a Chinese Empire, or would they prefer to have a place as a full part of Europe with all the freedoms that follow from democracy?
    The discussions between Russia and China are going to be really interesting to observe - so long as the Chinese don’t arm the Russians and we end up properly in WWIII. But the optimist in me says that Xi knows how that goes down with the rest of the Western world.

I’m thinking that the meeting today, is when Putin gets told that his failed state is going to be a 2030s Chinese farm.
    I'm surprised Zelenskyy hasn't had a go at trying to charm the Chinese. Maybe he has but we've not seen it or it's been rebuffed. Most of Ukraine's soft power effort has been focused on the Western donors and a couple of semi-neutral countries like Israel and Turkey.

China and Ukraine had quite strong military links until recently. Ukraine helped greatly with the J-15, China’s AliExpress copy of the Flanker K for STOBAR carrier ops. Things became #itscomplicated when China wanted to buy a majority stake in the Zaporeezheeya aircraft engine plant in a deal that was not in the slightest bit corrupt. Trump told Ukraine to tell Chyna to fuck off and relations have been more sour than a fermented plum ever since. Trump had the ability to withhold US (and British and Canadian) military aid and training programs so Ukraine had no choice. They got effed in the A.

China are probably quite happy with the trajectory of the SMO so far. It's cementing Russia into their sphere of influence while consuming vast amounts of American money, weapons and attention.
    Hardly "vast amounts", compared to the American budget; and much of that money is being spent in the US. And the US is gaining lots of friends amongst countries in Europe and elsewhere that don't like the idea of being invaded by fascist states. A lot of the diplomatic damage caused by Iraq will be being healed.

The US are also gaining a vast amount of information on modern warfare tactics and how their weapons work in this sort of combat - which is miles away from the way they were used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And what are China getting? Some cheaper oil and gas (but not much), and the dregs of Russia. And diplomatic damage if they actually help Russia.

It's not a very good trade for China.
    If Russia reunites with Ukraine by force then China will seize the opportunity to reunite Taiwan with them by force.

China will remain neutral until that point but I expect they hope Putin ultimately still captures Kyiv and the West and US are weakened as a result
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Nigelb said:

Today, eighty years ago.

In a matter of hours, they were tried, convicted, and beheaded for the crime of treason. Christoph Probst and siblings Hans and Sophie Scholl, White Rose resistance group members, dared to oppose the Nazi regime. Their pleas went unanswered. They were executed #OTD in 1943.
    https://twitter.com/HolocaustMuseum/status/1628399460563968000

A few months ago @MarqueeMark posted here about having met, I think, someone from Inge Scholl's (b 1917) family - it couldn't be Inge herself at that age could it? That was noteworthy for me because Die weisse Rose was a reading text for my German class as a student in the early '60s.

• Options
    WillG said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FWIW I think it's likely Scotland would vote for independence. Brexit has made it slightly more likely to go Yes in the context where it was already 50/50.

The tricky thing for nationalists is getting that choice in front of the population. The Union hangs on a procedure not happening.

I’ll argue the contrary, that, even if the question were put to the Scottish public, the issues around borders, debts, and currency, have made the case for independence more difficult.

The Scottish Nationalists should find a way to lobby the EU hard, for a digital border solution to the impasse over Northern Ireland. Because an independent Scotland wanting to join the EU, would otherwise need a very hard and physical border with England.

Talking of Ireland, Scotland’s best chance of prosperity as an independent nation would be to adopt the Irish model of being a big free zone.
    It took Ireland about 60 years of poverty, post independence, for her left wing economic views to be dropped and embrace that thinking. I bet Scotland would be similar. Anyone arguing for a centre right policy would be slurred as a Tory.
    Another numpty Scotch expert talking out of his arse
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    geoffw said:

Nigelb said:

Today, eighty years ago.

In a matter of hours, they were tried, convicted, and beheaded for the crime of treason. Christoph Probst and siblings Hans and Sophie Scholl, White Rose resistance group members, dared to oppose the Nazi regime. Their pleas went unanswered. They were executed #OTD in 1943.
    https://twitter.com/HolocaustMuseum/status/1628399460563968000

A few months ago @MarqueeMark posted here about having met, I think, someone from Inge Scholl's (b 1917) family - it couldn't be Inge herself at that age could it? That was noteworthy for me because Die weisse Rose was a reading text for my German class as a student in the early '60s.

you might enjoy this https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rest-is-history/id1537788786?i=1000586654621
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

"It’s the finances which prove the strongest cord. None of the Celtic nations pay their way"

In 1921, Ireland was poorer than the rest of the UK. Using you argument, it should not have broken away.

Now, go & visit County Kildare or Meath. Then cross the Irish Sea to Ceredigion or Meirionnydd. The difference is stark.

The former is way, way, way more prosperous than the latter. This was not so in 1921.

Which they've done by massively cutting corporation tax rates.
    Sure ... but it shows why @Alanbrooke is wrong.
    I don't think Alanbrooke is wrong.
    What ROI shows is that a poor nation can, over time, become a rich one. (It took ROI 100 years. But I'm not suggesting it would necessarily take Wales or Scotland that long: ROI made a lot of sub-optimal decisions along the way.)
    But an independent Wales or Scotland would have to take a lot of very different decisions to those that they currently take to make that happen. Wales, in particular, seems mustard keen to drive any creation of wealth out of the principality as quickly as possible.
    As per my comment to your dumb sidekick Bart, Scotland is 2nd only to London in the UK for finances
    One of the reasons that my head says No to independence, even though my heart says Yes, is this: years ago I was on the Pension Panel for West Sussex county council, which as it happens was administered by a Scottish management firm, based in Edinburgh. On a visit up to their offices, I asked them what they would do if Scotland went independent - they had a plan, updated annually, for shifting everything to London in the event. They reckoned the core business would be moved in a week, most staff within a month, and finalised in three months. It was even written in to new staff contracts. When I asked why they wouldn't stay based in Edinburgh, my minder (born and bred in Fife) just laughed.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Again, this is all irrelevant anyway

The AI revolution is going to change the way humans work, live, love, exist. In 10-20 years time arguments about nationality will likely seem quaintly absurd

That includes British nationalism

People thought that 1991 meant The End of History.
    That was always a mad thesis

I’m arguing the opposite, if anything. History is about to speed up and transform everything

AI is a Revolution. We are on the cusp now
    I don’t think it was a mad thesis. In its principal argument it was correct, and is being reinforced today: that there was no longer any serious ideological challenger to capitalistic liberal democracy. Other systems would struggle on, but most would mimic, aspire to, or attempt to subvert the dominant system. It’s telling that just this week Putin’s rhetoric was a rehash of American culture war talking points.

For a few years there was a sense that perhaps Islamist theocracy might give it a go, but look at Iran now.

Russia, China offer no coherent alternative to liberal capitalism. People there keep moving to the West. If you want to know whether capitalist liberal democracy is still the dominant system just look at migration flows.

The hubristic headline was the problem. People interpreted it as meaning there would be no more conflict or ideological debates.
  • Options

Cookie said:

WillG said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Well this is the interesting question. We all seem to be agreed that a country doesn't need to take 100 years to go from poor to rich - about 20-40 will do. (A generation. Or three Scottish generations :wink:)

But how quickly will those countries' polities allow them to make the necessary decisions? I'd say at least a generation.

I have some sympathy with the separatists, and I certainly agree with @YBarddCwsc that the status quo isn't working. And the pre-devolution arrangements didn't work either. But It'll be a bumpy ride to get to the sunlit uplands, both economically and politically, and the outcome is by no means certain.
    I expect if Scotland becomes independent it will probably take 50-60 years for them to come up to English standards, yes. About 30 years to ditch the leftwing politics, then another 20 to see their politics work once they hit the right ones.

And over time its taking countries less time to adapt to independence, as collectively people learn from mistakes of prior nations achieving it. It took the Irish 75 years to adapt and catch up, but that's less than half time it took the Americans who had a very bloody Civil War in-between. Neither nation would look back now though and wish away their independence, and why should the Scots if they achieve it?
    What a dummy , if you could read you would know Scotland is 2nd only to London

On topic I found Alanbrooke's piece interesting but 'the old dog' ain't hardly 'fit and well'. It is limping badly and being sucked dry by a multitude of fleas.

A cruel but possibly accurate metaphor for NI, Wales and Scotland.
    F off you nasty little piece of excrement
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1628372077458628608?t=TIjKPwcM4G1RiLZkCVyuDg&s=19

Just to say that we PBers noticed this almost immediately.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

I made 2 things yesterday evening - pancakes for the family, then a lemon tart - and only realised afterwards that they had identical ingredients.

Flour, eggs, milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon juice.

So if you get fed up with pancakes make a lemon tart. (If the egg shortage doesn’t come back).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Eabhal said:
    Fact checking in Journalism is dead. Any kind of check. If it bleeds, it leads.
  • Options
    This is the first article I've read on PB which for me has no redeeming features.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    TimS said:

I made 2 things yesterday evening - pancakes for the family, then a lemon tart - and only realised afterwards that they had identical ingredients.

Flour, eggs, milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon juice.

So if you get fed up with pancakes make a lemon tart. (If the egg shortage doesn’t come back).
    If you have anyting left over, make Yorkshire Puddings on Sunday.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taz , the Scottish NI last year was much higher than pensions

You want to be careful, malky - irritability and forgetfulness are symptoms of dementia.
  • Options

Cookie said:

WillG said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

What a dummy , if you could read you would know S
    Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

If your comment about not paying their way is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, what would happen with a newly independent Scotland or Wales and their pension and benefits liabilities ?

How would these be covered from their budgets as separate nations ?

Taz , the Scottish NI last year was much higher than pensions , don't believe all the crap written on here by morons. Also as we would not be supporting Trident , embassies and all the waste of Westminster the money they currently borrow and blame on Scotland would melt away as would a lot of the supposed deficit.
    Presumably there aren't going to be embassies because you'll let the EU take care of foreign affairs?
    We would have small sensible places I suspect , no need for us to try and show off and have expensive sites for hooray henrys to sup vintage champagne at taxpayers expense , save us a fortune compared to now.
    Your attempt at sarcasm shows you for the fool you are, one would have expected you to know that every country in the EU is engaged , unlike now where we are a colony and treated like shit.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

If I commit a murder abroad, why shouldn't I have my citizenship stripped? Not our problem right?

This sets such a bad precedent.

You commit murder on here every day yet you are still wittering
    Thanks @malcolmg, you keeping ok?

malcolmg said:

If I commit a murder abroad, why shouldn't I have my citizenship stripped? Not our problem right?

This sets such a bad precedent.

You commit murder on here every day yet you are still wittering
    Thanks @malcolmg, you keeping ok?
    Brilliant as ever
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,583
    China tops nuclear fusion patent ranking, beating U.S.
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Science/China-tops-nuclear-fusion-patent-ranking-beating-U.S

UK still in the race, in third.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,705
    edited February 2023
    Eabhal said:
    See this too -

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1628415638493446145

And not all PBers. Some, erm, didn't notice a thing.

As I pointed out on the other thread, one could work wonders with a John Bull printing set and some sellotape if one were that way inclined.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    malcolmg said:

Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

If your comment about not paying their way is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, what would happen with a newly independent Scotland or Wales and their pension and benefits liabilities ?

Taz , the Scottish NI last year was much higher than pensions , don't believe all the crap written on here by morons. Also as we would not be supporting Trident , embassies and all the waste of Westminster the money they currently borrow and blame on Scotland would melt away as would a lot of the supposed deficit.
    Presumably there aren't going to be embassies because you'll let the EU take care of foreign affairs?
    We would have small sensible places I suspect , no need for us to try and show off and have expensive sites for hooray henrys to sup vintage champagne at taxpayers expense , save us a fortune compared to now.
    Your attempt at sarcasm shows you for the fool you are, one would have expected you to know that every country in the EU is engaged , unlike now where we are a colony and treated like shit.
    That's a very long-winded way of saying "yes".
  • Options
    oniscoid said:

This is the first article I've read on PB which for me has no redeeming features.

You have obviously never read one of mine.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:
    You what?
    A selection box, plenty of nuts.

Wow!
    I double checked - the statement is on their Facebook page.

This is getting very messy indeed.

That's quite something.

To quote perhaps the greatest Scotsman of them all, this is like watching men committing suicide.

Looks like the SNP are in a right old pickle with their post-Sturgeon leadership.

This is superb entertainment

Ash Regan it is then. Victory for the blank canvas.

At least Muslim Council of the UK can now be bookmarked as a proxy for credulous numpty.
  • Options
    oniscoid said:

New here?
  • Options
    Re Wales - in the last 6 months Drakeford has announced

Cancellation of all road building programmes

Plans to introduce 20mph zones throughout the country

Plans to introduce a tourist tax

Plans to ban multi but supermarket offers

Also a pavement parking ban

If anyone from labour can explain how this improves productivity and in the cancellation of the third Menai crossing assists the development of Holyhead as a free port

In fairness I have sympathy with the pavement parking ban which causes all kinds of problems for the disabled and those with prams

• Options

oniscoid said:

New here?
    Redeeming doesn't always have redeeming features. Quite the contrary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redeemers
  • Options
    A dispute at the New York Times over its coverage of transgender issues deepened with news of a letter signed by high-profile reporters, criticising the Times’ union president for her own letter on the issue, in which she said staff who protested the paper’s trans coverage were concerned about “a hostile working environment”.

“Factual, accurate journalism that is written, edited and published in accordance with Times standards does not create a hostile workplace,” read the new letter, signed by the chief White House correspondent, Peter Baker, political correspondent Lisa Lerer and other senior figures and reported by Vanity Fair.

It added: “We are journalists, not activists. That line should be clear.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/22/ny-times-trans-coverage-journalists-letter-guild
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Eabhal said:
    Probably something to do with blue ticks, or a lack thereof.

Hang on a minute; who is this "Ballot Box Scotland" when they're at home?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

oniscoid said:

New here?
    Assume all new posters are either
    a) a russian troll or b) a new pseudonym for our favourite flint knapper
    until proved otherwise :)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

oniscoid said:

New here?
    c) WokeTransIllegalImmigrantAlienAIs
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

oniscoid said:

New here?
    However, sentient slaters (anglice, woodlice) are obviously another option.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

You want to be careful, malky - irritability and forgetfulness are symptoms of dementia.
    another nasty arsehole , what kind of a creep comes out with stuff like that , GIRUY
  • Options
    A week after the Ford UK job cuts announcement.

LGES, Ford to build joint battery plant in Turkey
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2023/02/419_345915.html
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

another nasty arsehole , what kind of a creep comes out with stuff like that , GIRUY
    I must say your reasoned assessments of the relative merits of the candidates have been pithy and consistent and entirely logical. Nothing wrong with the old brain.

I don't think any of the Scots on here rates Mr Yousaf. Not one?

But maybe we are all old farts on PB.
  • Options

If anyone from labour can explain how this improves productivity and in the cancellation of the third Menai crossing assists the development of Holyhead as a free port

In fairness I have sympathy with the pavement parking ban which causes all kinds of problems for the disabled and those with prams

Why doesn’t he go all the way and announce another lockdown ?
  • Options

oniscoid said:

New here?
    Either that or a sandwich short of a picnic
  • Options

Eabhal said:
    You what?

Wow!

That's quite something.

To quote perhaps the greatest Scotsman of them all, this is like watching men committing suicide.

Looks like the SNP are in a right old pickle with their post-Sturgeon leadership.

At least Muslim Council of the UK can now be bookmarked as a proxy for credulous numpty.
    Leon is the chairman of it then
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

oniscoid said:

New here?
    If they are new then that really is a pretty rude first post. Actually even if they’re not new it’s a rude post. I think it’s great people give up their time to write headers, whether or not I agree with them (and I’m not sure I agree with this latest one).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:
    You what?

Wow!

That's quite something.

Leon is the chairman of it then
    You mean @Leon saw some bullshit on the Internet and his head exploded?

No, that never happens.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I must say your reasoned assessments of the relative merits of the candidates have been pithy and consistent and entirely logical. Nothing wrong with the old brain.

Who would be your preferred last minute out-of-the-woodwork candidate to throw their hat into the ring on Friday?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

oniscoid said:

New here?
    If they are new then that really is a pretty rude first post. Actually even if they’re not new it’s a rude post. I think it’s great people give up their time to write headers, whether or not I agree with them (and I’m not sure I agree with this latest one).
    panties in a bunch luv
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Who would be your preferred last minute out-of-the-woodwork candidate to throw their hat into the ring on Friday?
    Salmond would be a laugh.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A week after the Ford UK job cuts announcement.

LGES, Ford to build joint battery plant in Turkey
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2023/02/419_345915.html

In reference to geoffw’s post just above, I felt I ought to highlight this detail.
    … Ford Motor Company and Koc Holding enjoy a strong relationship that stretches back almost a century..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Given that three minutes later after I posted you came up with "What a dummy , if you could read you would know S", maybe it's time to stop shrugging off that kind of health advice.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nicola Sturgeon.

But mostly for the bants.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

A dispute at the New York Times over its coverage of transgender issues deepened with news of a letter signed by high-profile reporters, criticising the Times’ union president for her own letter on the issue, in which she said staff who protested the paper’s trans coverage were concerned about “a hostile working environment”.

“Factual, accurate journalism that is written, edited and published in accordance with Times standards does not create a hostile workplace,” read the new letter, signed by the chief White House correspondent, Peter Baker, political correspondent Lisa Lerer and other senior figures and reported by Vanity Fair.

It added: “We are journalists, not activists. That line should be clear.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/22/ny-times-trans-coverage-journalists-letter-guild

LOL, watching the woke eat itself.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Afternoon Carnyx, some real nasty pieces of work on here. Key will be who counts the votes for sure.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Joanna Cherry would be interesting. Even fun. In the Malmesburyan sense.

But it deoends who else comes onto the slate first.
  • Options
    Yousaf has come in to 1.51 now.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

How are Regan and Forbes looking?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Given that three minutes later after I posted you came up with "What a dummy , if you could read you would know S", maybe it's time to stop shrugging off that kind of health advice.
    Feck off and bother someon eelse
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

5.9 and 7.4

I'm not betting big on this market but Yousaf seems too short to me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Stocky said:

I closed out at 1.6.
  • Options
    Man City slight odds-on to beat Leipzig this evening. I'm laying them. De Bruyne and Stones are out injured.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Drakeford's heart is fine. The problem is the anorexia of his wallet.

Drakeford would like to do good things, such as improve public health or reduce homelessness.

Unfortunately, fixing those things costs lots of money, which he doesn't have.

So, he tinkers at the edges with things that are cheap to implement, or that may even give him a little money -- like a BOGOF ban or a tourist tax.

And ends up looking mildly ridiculous. No-one could seriously argue that a major health problem facing Wales is BOGOFs,
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

5.9 and 7.4

Ta muchly. Is it for SNP leader or FM?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Boris Johnson
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

oniscoid said:

New here?
    panties in a bunch luv
    That's a great expression, Malc. So much more expressive than 'knickers in a twist', which I take to be the tamer version that I'm used to. It's the local vernacular?

No probs if I borrow it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Why doesn’t he go all the way and announce another lockdown ?
    Please do not give him ideas
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited February 2023
    Following the row over @_KateForbes ' comments to @Channel4News on equal marriage many have asked whether @HumzaYousaf supports same sex marriage as a Muslim as well as a politician. Here is his answer:VIDEO
    https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1628431208408285184?s=20
  • Options

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Boris Johnson
    No good. Not a member. Wouldn't be let in as he is a member of a different party. Though ifd he filled in the form as Alec Johnston ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

5.9 and 7.4

SNP leader
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Feck off and bother someone else
    You're the one who keeps responding to me, malky - I should note that lack of impulse control is also a common symptom.
    Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Driver said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

That's a very long-winded way of saying "yes".
    I mean, consider the following:

1) "International relations, including relations with territories outside the United Kingdom, the European Union (and their institutions) and other international organisations, regulation of international trade, and international development assistance and co-operation are reserved matters" per the Scotland Act 1998.

2) The SNP "embassy" in Brussels, which legally has nothing it can do for Scotland's 5,479,900 people, costs £2.4m a year

3) The UK embassy in Brussels, which does all the work for 67,281,039 people, cost £4.8m.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I have to say the relentless downer on him from PB types who hate the SNP and indy, and have neither a vote in Scotland or in the leadership election is making me warm to him.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

5.9 and 7.4

SNP leader
    Thanks. An important distinction for betting. Not to mention politics.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I have to say the relentless downer on him from PB types who hate the SNP and indy, and have neither a vote in Scotland or in the leadership election is making me warm to him.
    I think he would be an excellent choice from the Scons point of view
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yeah, they might break back into the low 20s in polling.
    The thought of SCons & SLab bickering over who gets to be distant second fair breaks my heart.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The thought of SCons & SLab bickering over who gets to be distant second fair breaks my heart.
    The Scons would be the only party supporting the 100,000 plus North Sea jobs and duelling the A9 plus of course they are pro the union
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

The problem with not pavement parking is that whilst the remaining road space might be wide enough (just) for a car to go down, it might not be wide enough for a fire engine.
    And you only realise that when a fire engine tries to go down.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Scons would be the only party supporting the 100,000 plus North Sea jobs and duelling the A9 plus of course they are pro the union
    That's a Harry Potter sequel I wasn't expecting.

Makes sense I suppose - Rowling lives just off the A9 in Aberfeldy.
  • Options

The problem with not pavement parking is that whilst the remaining road space might be wide enough (just) for a car to go down, it might not be wide enough for a fire engine.
    A fair point
  • Options

Highway Code 243. Phone 101 and tell the police.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

And of course if Kate Forbes won she would be very much on the same page as the Scons apart from on independence
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

And of course if Kate Forbes won she would be very much on the same page as the Scons apart from on independence
    "Duelling"
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

"Duelling"
    Very good
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She should form the Scottish National Conservative Party.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

You can’t shake The Drake

T

H

E

D

R

A

K

E
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203

Greece can't catch a break.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    geoffw said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She should form the Scottish National Conservative Party.

It'd have the merit of being a real conservative one.

"The True Scottish Conservative Party"
  • Options
    Regan has been gently sliding in without actually saying or doing much. It’s very possible she could turbocharge or self-destruct her campaign as soon as a journalist talks to her
  • Options

Regan has been gently sliding in without actually saying or doing much. It’s very possible she could turbocharge or self-destruct her campaign as soon as a journalist talks to her

I was wondering if I was almost the only one who noticed how she'd been ignored. Apart of course for our lunar lagomorph commenting on her fashion and footwear sense. And one of our Tories rather ungentlemanily (?sp) referring to the lady by her now divorced husband's surname.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    edited February 2023

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Parties with one huge and overwhelming constitutional policy, such as the SNP are in a sort of dilemma.

If you drill down on what they want, they want two constitutional things (I hope).
    1) Scottish independence in
    2) A multi party democracy.

The second means of course that the first aim intends that all shades of democratically accountable opinion, from Jezza to Lee Anderson to JRM will be held and get elected in the new country.

And the more the SNP has views other than independence, especially slightly off the wall ones, the more they look like a faction not a national movement.

Which is why you need the Scotland Liberation Front as well as the Front for the Liberation of Scotland - and possibly The Liberation of Scotland Front too.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Makes sense I suppose - Rowling lives just off

the A9 in Aberfeldy.

She’s well to the right of the Scones
  • Options
    Scones

Snaps

Slabs

Scottish politics is a street party
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Makes sense I suppose - Rowling lives just off

the A9 in Aberfeldy.

She’s well to the right of the Scones
    Scones are like the motorway kind - you can be to the left or the right of them and it doesn't mean much because they are so moveable.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Leon said:
    Though they still emerged about 500m-700m years after the big bang.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Not much use in an emergency

• Options

Scones

Snaps

Slabs

Isn't it s shame for you the salmon sandwiches are off the menu.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:
    Though they still emerged about 500m-700m years after the big bang.
    You can't get something from nothing!
  • Options

Eabhal said:

In situations like those mentioned I assume yellow lines would be applied by the local authority
  • Options

Eabhal said:

In situations like those mentioned I assume yellow lines would be applied by the local authority
    Or the firemen apply their kit.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I was wondering if I was almost the only one who noticed how she'd been ignored. Apart of course for our lunar lagomorph commenting on her fashion and footwear sense. And one of our Tories rather ungentlemanily (?sp) referring to the lady by her now divorced husband's surname.
    I don’t think she’ll mind at this stage (about being ignored). Let the press have a proper crack at Forbidden and Useless and wait until Friday by which time they will both hopefully be mortally damaged. She has plenty of time to attention-seek once noms have closed and she is completely sure of the identify of her opponents.

As for calling her by her ex-husband’s name: lot of it about from the grisly old twats on PB. See also “Lady Nugee”.

(I did note she’d passed Moon’s hair and fashion test)

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Parties with one huge and overwhelming constitutional policy, such as the SNP are in a sort of dilemma.

If you drill down on what they want, they want two constitutional things (I hope).
    1) Scottish independence in
    2) A multi party democracy.

The second means of course that the first aim intends that all shades of democratically accountable opinion, from Jezza to Lee Anderson to JRM will be held and get elected in the new country.

And the more the SNP has views other than independence, especially slightly off the wall ones, the more they look like a faction not a national movement.

Which is why you need the Scotland Liberation Front as well as the Front for the Liberation of Scotland - and possibly The Liberation of Scotland Front too.
    And yet FPTP means loss of seats in Westminster and instant rejection by the UK government of the day under any excuse it can grab, as we have seen successively.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scones

Snaps

Slabs

Isn't it s shame for you the salmon sandwiches are off the menu.
    And the sturgeon caviar!
  • Options

Eabhal said:

The drivers will soon get the message. I've had two towed on my street for double parking.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I think I saw on twitter that the low profile campaign with no interviews given thus far was her decsion, possibly a wise choice when looking at the so far landmine filled week. No word on whether the Indian Council of Scotland or the Muslim Council of the UK have expressed an opinion on her candidacy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The drivers will soon get the message. I've had two towed on my street for double parking.
    Seems a bit harsh when one of them was only single parking.
This discussion has been closed.