Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer now a 77% betting chance of being PM after the election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Driver said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

SNP politicians who oppose Holyrood’s controversial gender reform bill should resign from the party and stand as independents, an MP close to Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Alyn Smith, the MP for Stirling, said party colleagues were “obliged to defend the SNP position” on any proposal in the manifesto upon which they were elected.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snps-gender-bill-rebels-should-quit-party-says-alyn-smith-7zfllbsgf

The manifesto doesn't include putting rapists in Womens' prisons though
    I don't know how this is not a bigger story, if the tories had done this it would be headlines for days.
    Indeed. This story is all I am hearing about in every bar, cafe, restaurant, supermarket, shop, etc. No one is talking about the economy, corrupt govt or running out of money. No one cares if they freeze or starve, just how we must vote Tory to thwart the SNP and the trans pervs. It is totally amazing how the population is coming together on this....

Not!

:D:D:D
    It has actually made quite a few front page headlines, FWIW (which makes Nerys' comments seem a bit odd.).
    But the idea it's going to be a game changer for the Tories is just silly.

They do cling to the idea, though.
    The activists interviewed on PM last night were adamant that Labour was in "a shambles". When pressed for details, literally all they could come up with was Starmer's "confusion on the trans issue".
    My point was if this had happened in England it would be headline news everyday, everyone would be aware of it, the press would be baying for the resignation of the entire Government and I used the Sunak seat belt story as an example. The SNP have done well to get away with it. That was all, there was no mention of a game changer or anything like that.

What exactly is the "it" that the SNP government have got away with?
    Using trans people as a pawn in their war against EnglandWestminster.
    You demented half witted poltroon , where did you drag that merde opinion up from.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

By then they will almost certainly own property themselves given the age of first property ownership is 39 and be starting to look to retirement

HYUFD I am telling you as a young person, it's not going to happen.

I own a flat, I hate the Tories for what they have done to us. You are finished.
    Not many young people own a flat though
    Yes because of our failure of economic policy.

Housing crash now, fuck the elderly.
    If there is a housing crash the young will be rogered big time, .
    Exactly! The elderly with paid off mortgages will simply have less to pass on to their younger heirs. The young who have mortgages will be totally screwed!

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Sure, then lets cut the state pension, welfare and NHS to appropriate levels to be covered by NI. Works for me.

I think NI brings in about £60bn a year.
    What about Scotland?
    Boom boom.
    That is why they keep the nukes up there ;)
    These clowns don't understand that Scottish NI contributions are more than Scottish pensions, yet another subsidy to the parasites down south, bloated on their leeching of Scotland.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

Leon said:

Swedish PM currently holding a meeting with all 8 leaders of the parliamentary parties, due to the serious security situation. I cannot remember such a meeting before.
    Meetings between the leaders are very common (Swedish politics is much less confrontational and more constructive than most other countries), but not this type of acute, urgent, all-party grouping. Something’s up.

Is this domestic gang crime or something international (ie Russia)?
    Something to do with Sweden joining NATO according to a flash I saw.
    It seems to be connected to concerns about links to the PKK causing problems with Turkey.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/8JEVEW/s-uppmaning-infor-natomotet-sluta-samarbeta-med-sd
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Top notch, tier 1 Asian hotels are really in a class of their own

Only matched by the very grandest of ancien regime European hotels, in London, Paris, the Riviera, Florence etc
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Wealth tax... bring it on. Have every Tory back in the fold to remove it plus every aspirational white van man.in the UK and their families. Pensioners paying NI. Bring it on. Have every pensioner voting Tory.

Loony ideas from a loony party.
  • Options

Leon said:

Swedish PM currently holding a meeting with all 8 leaders of the parliamentary parties, due to the serious security situation. I cannot remember such a meeting before.
    Meetings between the leaders are very common (Swedish politics is much less confrontational and more constructive than most other countries), but not this type of acute, urgent, all-party grouping. Something’s up.

It seems to be connected to concerns about links to the PKK causing problems with Turkey.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/8JEVEW/s-uppmaning-infor-natomotet-sluta-samarbeta-med-sd
    Erdogan said yesterday he would let Finland join but not Sweden.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    Time to turn the tables on the gloom-mongers, and exploit the benefits of Brexit. Remember that vaccine rollout! Happy Brexit Day!

He seems to be acting Prime Minister in this video. (He was also acting then of course...)

https://mobile.twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1620422171637211137
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    This is rather good, though sadly ineffective in relation to the higher courts of appeal.

User-Generated Content Shapes Judicial Reasoning: Evidence From a Randomized Control Trial on Wikipedia

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4327890
    Legal professionals have access to many different sources of knowledge, including user-generated Wikipedia articles that summarize previous judicial decisions (i.e., precedents). While these Wikipedia articles are easily accessible, they have unknown provenance and reliability and therefore using them in professional settings is problematic. Nevertheless, Wikipedia articles influence legal judgments, as we show using a randomized control trial.

We find that the presence of a Wikipedia article about Irish Supreme Court decisions makes it meaningfully more likely that the corresponding case will be cited as a precedent by judges in subsequent decisions. The language used in the Wikipedia article also influences the language used in judgments. These effects are only present for citations by the High Court, not for the higher levels of the judiciary (Court of Appeal and Supreme Court). Since the High Court faces higher caseloads, this may indicate that settings with greater time pressures encourage greater reliance on Wikipedia.

Our results add to the growing recognition that Wikipedia and other frequently-accessed sources of user-generated content have profound effects on important social outcomes. Greater attention should therefore be paid to ensuring that they contain the highest quality of information.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited January 2023
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

By then they will almost certainly own property themselves given the age of first property ownership is 39 and be starting to look to retirement

I own a flat, I hate the Tories for what they have done to us. You are finished.

Extend NI to all income. That would level things up a lot.
    And then merge income tax and NI. We don't need multiple classes of income tax.
    No restore NI to its original purpose, to fund only the state pension, contributory unemployment benefits and some healthcare on the social insurance model of most western nations
    Sure, then lets cut the state pension, welfare and NHS to appropriate levels to be covered by NI. Works for me.

State pensions alone are almost twice that way £115bn.

I think @hyufd needs to be aware of what exactly he's proposing
    You'll just confuse him with facts.
    Scottish pensions are less than Scottish NI contributions, must be plenty of slackers in England to have those numbers.
    Scottish pensions £8.5bn, Scottish NI contributions £12bn. UK pensions £105bn, UK NI contributions £157bn. Scottish NI contributions cover 141% of Scottish pensions, UK NI contributions cover 149.5% of UK pensions. Conclusions: Scotland lags behind the UK average again; don't trust everything you read on PB.com
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

Leon said:

Erdogan said yesterday he would let Finland join but not Sweden.
    Well, you need to go through Finland (or Norway) to go from Russia to Sweden, so that's a pretty hollow threat.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

SNP politicians who oppose Holyrood’s controversial gender reform bill should resign from the party and stand as independents, an MP close to Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Alyn Smith, the MP for Stirling, said party colleagues were “obliged to defend the SNP position” on any proposal in the manifesto upon which they were elected.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snps-gender-bill-rebels-should-quit-party-says-alyn-smith-7zfllbsgf

I don't know how this is not a bigger story, if the tories had done this it would be headlines for days.
    Indeed. This story is all I am hearing about in every bar, cafe, restaurant, supermarket, shop, etc. No one is talking about the economy, corrupt govt or running out of money. No one cares if they freeze or starve, just how we must vote Tory to thwart the SNP and the trans pervs. It is totally amazing how the population is coming together on this....

Not!

My comment was about the press coverage, Sunak not wearing a seat belt was headline news for 2 days, here a man who raped women was placed in a women's prison because he identified as a woman, and whilst there continued raping.
    Pinochio level lies in that lot, bad as it is who continued raping you halfwitted cretin.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

As you probably know I am in favour of house prices dropping - though every time I mention it on here people tell me how it is a bad idea. And they make sense at the time. Until I forget and decide it is a good idea again.

But I would have thought that a housing crash is most likely to hit those of working age rather than the elderly. Most elderly have paid off their house by the time they get to retirement so a house price crash doesn't really affect them accept theoretically. But those of working age - particularly if they are needing to move as family expands or they need to change jobs - are the ones who would suffer from negative equity. It is debatable if this would be offset by the improved chances for those starting on the ladder but the one set of people unlikely to be 'fucked' by it are the elderly.
  • Options

Tremendous numbers in that Deltapoll for Scottish Labour, but seemingly still at the expense of the other Unionist parties.
    Welsh Tories in 3rd place.

SNP 43%
    SLab 39%
    SCon 15%
    SLD 1%
    UKIP 1%

WLab 48%
    PC 20%
    WCon 17%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 4%
    WLD 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

(Deltapoll; 1,057; Fieldwork: 26th - 30th January 2023)

Baxtered (new boundaries) gives:

SNP 33 seats (-15)
    SLab 23 seats (+15)
    SCon 1 seat (-5)
    SLD 0 seats (-2)*

*somewhat counterintuitively it is SLab that take Edinburgh West and Orkney & Shetland, not the SNP.
    Typo: SLab should be (+22)
    Labour voting is rather inefficient in Scotland.
    Yes. An uneven spread of support is a huge advantage for a small party under FPTP (eg the LDs under Clegg), but a big disadvantage if you want to actually win. The SNP’s more even spread is exaggerated by the unexpectedly pro-SNP new boundaries.
    Given the hapless Anas and the donkeys in Labour there is no hope of tehm getting 22 seats, it is a PB unionist wet dream.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

And in other thread news I see people are having a pile on @HYUFD because he holds a particular political view, states it often and politely, doesn't change it under pressure and, moreover, the view is one with which other posters don't agree.

PB at its best.

I love HYUFD! I’m one of his biggest fans as I tell him constantly
    I was going to say 'you and he blow each other occasionally to cool down.'

Then I realised that had a double meaning...
    Bit close to the bone there
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

You might as well increase IT instead and stop messing around with NI and abolish it completely.

I've had a horrendous year trying to work out what NI I (a) should, and (b) could have paid, and (c) what it actually credits me with. And repeat that for Mrs C as well.

HMRC website and online statements are about as useful as a square table missing a leg - i. e. seriously incomplete and unreliable. And, of course, today is the last day one can correct the "could" bit as I have recently remarked.

No.

We should keep NI separate and increase it not income tax when it comes to paying for the State pension and NHS so people can actually see how much of their own income goes to fund those specific areas (pensioners should pay it too).

Virtually every other OECD nation funds most State healthcare through social insurance not income tax
    NI is income tax, not insurance though. So what's your point?

As a hint, if you're still too thick to figure it out, which makes you pay more NI as an employee: Taking up smoking, or getting promoted and a pay rise?

Insurance is worried about the former, tax the latter.
    No it isn't, National insurance was created by Lloyd George specifically to fund health insurance and contributory unemployment benefits. The fact it rises with income now doesn't change that.

Income tax was created by Pitt to fund war with France.
  • Options

Wealth tax... bring it on. Have every Tory back in the fold to remove it plus every aspirational white van man.in the UK and their families. Pensioners paying NI. Bring it on. Have every pensioner voting Tory.

Loony ideas from a loony party.

Many pensioners - to their credit - support the idea of paying NI if you continue to work past retirement age. It is a strange anomaly and many can see the unfairness of stopping paying NI just because you reach a certain age.
  • Options
    Welcome back @BartholomewRoberts hope you are keeping well mate
  • Options

malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

And then merge income tax and NI. We don't need multiple classes of income tax.
    No restore NI to its original purpose, to fund only the state pension, contributory unemployment benefits and some healthcare on the social insurance model of most western nations

State pensions alone are almost twice that way £115bn.

I think @hyufd needs to be aware of what exactly he's proposing
    You'll just confuse him with facts.
    Scottish pensions are less than Scottish NI contributions, must be plenty of slackers in England to have those numbers.
    Or Scottish pensioners die sooner? That's not a dig, just another factor that could lead to that difference.
    First one sounds better Richard
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

You might as well increase IT instead and stop messing around with NI and abolish it completely.

I've had a horrendous year trying to work out what NI I (a) should, and (b) could have paid, and (c) what it actually credits me with. And repeat that for Mrs C as well.

HMRC website and online statements are about as useful as a square table missing a leg - i. e. seriously incomplete and unreliable. And, of course, today is the last day one can correct the "could" bit as I have recently remarked.

No.

We should keep NI separate and increase it not income tax when it comes to paying for the State pension and NHS so people can actually see how much of their own income goes to fund those specific areas (pensioners should pay it too).

Virtually every other OECD nation funds most State healthcare through social insurance not income tax

As a hint, if you're still too thick to figure it out, which makes you pay more NI as an employee: Taking up smoking, or getting promoted and a pay rise?

No it isn't, National insurance was created by Lloyd George specifically to fund health insurance and contributory unemployment benefits. The fact it rises with income now doesn't change that.

If it is insurance then why was it specifically explained by the Atlee Government that you were not paying in for your retirement but for the retirement of the current pensioners? The social contract being that when you retire those still working will pay for you.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

But the health bit was taken out when the NHS was set up. That link is long broken.
  • Options
    Definitely running.

Desantis criticizes Trump’s cozy relationship with Putin: “Trump was very positive about Putin. I think that reality has set in that this is not going to work out that way, and you’re better off dealing with Putin by being strong.”
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1620399946288730113
  • Options
    Lord Charlie Falconer is continuing to get the basics of the Equality Act wrong in the women & equalities select committee in respect of single-sex spaces 🤦‍♀️. …..

I’m afraid he comes across as very poorly informed on discrimination law in general. No idea why he’s being asked to give his opinion on it - and no idea on why he is saying he’s not an expert and deferring to those on the panel who are.
    https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1620464043575377920

He was invited I suspect to provide “balance” rather than “expertise” and rather pompously tried to shut down the clearly better informed younger lawyer.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

If we should only use NI for what it was intended for does that mean we should also have stopped paying Income Tax when we stopped fighting France, or do you think we should declare war on them again?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Almost seven years on from the EU referendum and our tedious, unending national row over Brexit continues unabated, each side just as bad as they were during the campaign itself. Today’s gloomy report from the IMF is just the latest shot of vodka sustaining this now slurring debate, which has somehow never quite found a way to sober up long after everyone else has got up from the table and gone to bed.

Britain will have the worst economic growth in the developed world this year, according to the IMF, contracting by 0.9% while much of the rest of Europe pulls away. To many, it’s all Brexit’s fault, of course. Is anything not?

https://unherd.com/thepost/stop-blaming-brexit-for-bad-growth/?=frpo

The IMF forecast is bad. But the IMF (like the OECD) also believes Britain’s medium-term prospects are, well, *meh*—much like the rest of Europe. We are losing sight of perspective. Both sides are still fighting like it’s 2016

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1620448669152743424
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Definitely running.

Desantis criticizes Trump’s cozy relationship with Putin: “Trump was very positive about Putin. I think that reality has set in that this is not going to work out that way, and you’re better off dealing with Putin by being strong.”

Hey Nigel hope you are keeping ok :)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

But the health bit was taken out when the NHS was set up. That link is long broken.
    And should be restored given most other OECD nations fund state healthcare via social insurance
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Definitely running.

Hey Nigel hope you are keeping ok :)
    Getting older but otherwise fine, thanks.
    Good to have you back posting regularly.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

If it is insurance then why was it specifically explained by the Atlee Government that you were not paying in for your retirement but for the retirement of the current pensioners? The social contract being that when you retire those still working will pay for you.
    You still can't get the state pension unless you have made enough National insurance contributions or received enough NI credits
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited January 2023

Almost seven years on from the EU referendum and our tedious, unending national row over Brexit continues unabated, each side just as bad as they were during the campaign itself. Today’s gloomy report from the IMF is just the latest shot of vodka sustaining this now slurring debate, which has somehow never quite found a way to sober up long after everyone else has got up from the table and gone to bed.

Britain will have the worst economic growth in the developed world this year, according to the IMF, contracting by 0.9% while much of the rest of Europe pulls away. To many, it’s all Brexit’s fault, of course. Is anything not?

https://unherd.com/thepost/stop-blaming-brexit-for-bad-growth/?=frpo

The IMF forecast is bad. But the IMF (like the OECD) also believes Britain’s medium-term prospects are, well, *meh*—much like the rest of Europe. We are losing sight of perspective. Both sides are still fighting like it’s 2016

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1620448669152743424

That first sentence suggests that Mr. McTague is an avid reader of PB.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

If we should only use NI for what it was intended for does that mean we should also have stopped paying Income Tax when we stopped fighting France, or do you think we should declare war on them again?
    Income tax still funds defence and the armed forces today
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

Lord Charlie Falconer is continuing to get the basics of the Equality Act wrong in the women & equalities select committee in respect of single-sex spaces 🤦‍♀️. …..

I’m afraid he comes across as very poorly informed on discrimination law in general. No idea why he’s being asked to give his opinion on it - and no idea on why he is saying he’s not an expert and deferring to those on the panel who are.
    https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1620464043575377920

He was invited I suspect to provide “balance” rather than “expertise” and rather pompously tried to shut down the clearly better informed younger lawyer.

Falconer pompous !!

Shocked.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

You still can't get the state pension unless you have made enough National insurance contributions or received enough NI credits
    NI contributions give you an entitlement to a pension.
    In no way do your personal NI contributions fund your pension.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826
    I’m on strike tomorrow, feel conflicted about it. I’m interested to hear from anyone who feels strongly that the teacher strikes are a good or bad thing (that is if you don’t think it has been discussed to death already)
  • Options
    Another area Sunak's ratings have crashed in is strength. His scores here were previously similar to Starmer's, but he's now fallen way behind.

Strong: 19% (-7)
    Weak: 53% (+16)

Net: -34 (down 23)

Sunak is finished
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak's approval rating in the Blue Wall is -10%, his worst approval rating we've recorded in these seats as PM.

Rishi Sunak Blue Wall Net Approval Rating (28-29 Jan.):

Disapprove: 38% (+6)
    Approve: 28% (-3)
    Net: -10% (-9)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.
  • Options
    Sunak and Starmer are tied in the Blue Wall.

At this moment, which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28-29 Jan.)

Rishi Sunak 37% (-5)
    Keir Starmer 37% (+3)
    Don't Know 25% (+2)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.

IT IS OVER
  • Options
    Labour leads by 10% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Blue Wall Voting Intention (28-29 Jan.):

Labour 42% (+2)
    Conservative 32% (+2)
    Liberal Democrat 19% (-2)
    Reform UK 4% (-2)
    Green 4% (+1)
    Other 0% (–)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.
  • Options
    Do Britons believe a UK Government led by the Labour Party would currently be taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis? (29 January)

Yes 41% (+1)
    No 34% (-2)
    Don't know 25% (­–)

Changes +/- 22 January
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

So as we are paying income tax (made a transfer to HMRC over the weekend) we must still be at war with France!

That explains Brexit.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1620364304175476738

Increasingly hard to see how a long-term incumbent government wins an election in this context.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TOPPING said:

And in other thread news I see people are having a pile on @HYUFD because he holds a particular political view, states it often and politely, doesn't change it under pressure, and, moreover, the view is one with which other posters don't agree.

PB at its best.

I missed that. HY is one of the most popular posters on here. Unlike most Tories he doesn't slink into the shadows because his Party are complete crap. He's also a one man Wikipedia of relevant political opinion polls.

Tory poster of the year by a distance!
  • Options

Increasingly hard to see how a long-term incumbent government wins an election in this context.

One of Bozza's strokes of genius was to sell himself as a change candidate in 2019. That was partly Bozza's usual shameless fibbing, but there was a genuine core of truth in the claim. He was different to Cameron and May.

Nobody else is as shameless as Bozza, but what would a "change" version of Conservatism look like? Who is left to staff it?
  • Options

Sunak and Starmer are tied in the Blue Wall.

At this moment, which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (28-29 Jan.)

Rishi Sunak 37% (-5)
    Keir Starmer 37% (+3)
    Don't Know 25% (+2)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.

IT IS OVER

Johnson led Corbyn as preferred PM in redwall seats in 2019 however.

So that suggests Tory losses in the Bluewall won't be as bad as Labour losses in the Redwall were in 2019 (though the Redwall will likely go back to Labour now)
  • Options
    This is pretty awful.

MP receives rape and death threats after speaking against Andrew Tate
    Labour’s Alex Davies-Jones ‘bombarded’ with abuse after highlighting influencer’s ‘toxic’ influence on schoolboys
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/31/mp-alex-davies-jones-rape-death-threats-speaking-against-andrew-tate
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    maxh said:

I’m on strike tomorrow, feel conflicted about it. I’m interested to hear from anyone who feels strongly that the teacher strikes are a good or bad thing (that is if you don’t think it has been discussed to death already)

How do you expect the children to get you more money?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

Oh, so the armed forces aren't used for defence? Huge explanation for a lot.

Butd so do VAT and IHT and other taxes. So thsat argument is useless.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

And in other thread news I see people are having a pile on @HYUFD because he holds a particular political view, states it often and politely, doesn't change it under pressure, and, moreover, the view is one with which other posters don't agree.

PB at its best.

I missed that. HY is one of the most popular posters on here. Unlike most Tories he doesn't slink into the shadows because his Party are complete crap. He's also a one man Wikipedia of relevant political opinion polls.

Tory poster of the year by a distance!
    To be fair. The runners and riders from the "Tory poster" stable are significantly thinner on the ground of late.
    I love HY too of course!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

And should be restored given most other OECD nations fund state healthcare via social insurance
    But social insurance is not a hypothecated health tax. So, no.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

That's the key point.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545

Always said the Church of England is full of hard left cranks, time to disestablish now.

A vicar who shared an article suggesting Israel was responsible for the 9/11 terror attacks has been barred from the ministry for 12 years for antisemitism.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews made 11 allegations against the Rev Dr Stephen Sizer, which claimed his conduct in incidents between 2005 and 2018 amounted to antisemitic activity.

Sizer, the former vicar of Christ Church in Virginia Water, Surrey, admitted the “factual basis” of all allegations against him but disputed that his conduct was antisemitic.

However, a church tribunal found that he engaged in antisemitic conduct with respect to suggesting Israel’s responsibility for 9/11.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/31/c-of-e-vicar-who-shared-911-israel-plot-claims-barred-for-antisemitism

That one person out of many thousands of CoE clergy has been disqualified from office for anti semitism hardly justifies TSE's absurd suggestion about what they are like.

BTW the reason he can be disbarred in this way is because the CoE is a body established by law and subject to specific legislation which creates a just and fair path (the Clergy Discipline Tribunal) for bad and inadequate people to be removed. Keep these legal protection and keep the legal rights everyone has with regard to their parish church. Both are part of its 'Established Church' nature.

"Antidisestablishmentarainists unite". Now there's a slogan.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649
    You don’t really feel Brexit directly until you travel in Europe. Most of the rest of the time it’s just a thing, out there in the media and in the trade stats.

I’ve just had my periodic reminder: the mini-indignity, the self imposed micro-aggression, of the passport control experience arriving in Copenhagen.

First the two queues, one empty the other full and slow moving. That very visible record of the 2016 vote.

Then the polite but firm interrogation: why am I here, what is my business, how long am I staying?

Finally the increasingly difficult search for spare pages to put that pointless stamp on. What happens when I run out of pages? Do I then need to get a second, black passport?

I leave the airport feeling a foreigner in a way I never did before Brexit. I suppose for my children’s generation this will just seem normal.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Always said the Church of England is full of hard left cranks, time to disestablish now.

A vicar who shared an article suggesting Israel was responsible for the 9/11 terror attacks has been barred from the ministry for 12 years for antisemitism.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews made 11 allegations against the Rev Dr Stephen Sizer, which claimed his conduct in incidents between 2005 and 2018 amounted to antisemitic activity.

Sizer, the former vicar of Christ Church in Virginia Water, Surrey, admitted the “factual basis” of all allegations against him but disputed that his conduct was antisemitic.

However, a church tribunal found that he engaged in antisemitic conduct with respect to suggesting Israel’s responsibility for 9/11.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/31/c-of-e-vicar-who-shared-911-israel-plot-claims-barred-for-antisemitism

That one person out of many thousands of CoE clergy has been disqualified from office for anti semitism hardly justifies TSE's absurd suggestion about what they are like.

BTW the reason he can be disbarred in this way is because the CoE is a body established by law and subject to specific legislation which creates a just and fair path (the Clergy Discipline Tribunal) for bad and inadequate people to be removed. Keep these legal protection and keep the legal rights everyone has with regard to their parish church. Both are part of its 'Established Church' nature.

Now, if we shifted the discussion to why they won't marry gays despite being a body established by the state under laws which outlaw discrimination ...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

One of Bozza's strokes of genius was to sell himself as a change candidate in 2019. That was partly Bozza's usual shameless fibbing, but there was a genuine core of truth in the claim. He was different to Cameron and May.

Nobody else is as shameless as Bozza, but what would a "change" version of Conservatism look like? Who is left to staff it?
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. WE ARE AT THE DAWNING OF THE AGE OF FABRICANT.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    It's time for Labour to name the elephant in the room and call for us to rejoin the single market.

It's the will of the people and it's vital for this country.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It's time for Labour to name the elephant in the room and call for us to rejoin the single market.

No it isn't
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

Because they are already committed funding the oldies’ pensions
  • Options
    maxh said:

Stikes are a bad thing, sure. Ideally questions of pay and conditions get resolved well before this. But if a large employer is determined to ignore problems, a strike is probably the least bad way to get their attention.

(The "large employer" bit is relevant, I think. If someone has a wide choice of employers where they can ply their trade, it's much harder for employers to put their fingers in their ears. Not if they want to get the best people anyway. That doesn't work if the government essentially says "take it or leave it". Though the numbers of former doctors, care workers, teachers and so on who have chosen to leave it ought to be a red light.)
  • Options
    TimS said:

You don’t really feel Brexit directly until you travel in Europe. Most of the rest of the time it’s just a thing, out there in the media and in the trade stats.

I’ve just had my periodic reminder: the mini-indignity, the self imposed micro-aggression, of the passport control experience arriving in Copenhagen.

First the two queues, one empty the other full and slow moving. That very visible record of the 2016 vote.

Then the polite but firm interrogation: why am I here, what is my business, how long am I staying?

Finally the increasingly difficult search for spare pages to put that pointless stamp on. What happens when I run out of pages? Do I then need to get a second, black passport?

I leave the airport feeling a foreigner in a way I never did before Brexit. I suppose for my children’s generation this will just seem normal.

But you are now a furriner. That is the whole point, I'm afraid.
  • Options

Labour leads by 10% in the Blue Wall. In 2019, Labour came THIRD in these seats.

Labour 42% (+2)
    Conservative 32% (+2)
    Reform UK 4% (-2)
    Green 4% (+1)
    Other 0% (–)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.

Anyone have the original 2019 scores do we can see movement from then? The Con-LD swing is going to very important.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    TimS said:

It's sad af but also a useful opportunity to top up your reserves of hatred for the scumbags who did this to us.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

Used for both, see Iraq and Afghanistan as well as the Falklands and forces based in the UK.

National insurance shouldn't be used to fund defence and income tax shouldn't be used to fund healthcare
  • Options
    TimS said:

You don’t really feel Brexit directly until you travel in Europe. .

My neighbour is tearing his hair out. Runs a business which involved a lot of trade on the continent, shipping of parts both ways, and travelling to work on machinery.

He's in despair. It's now a total utter disaster. Business ruined by fucking Brexit.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

Because they are already committed funding the oldies’ pensions
    Indeed. If HYUFD were right, there'd be insufficient money to pay for the pensions of current pensioners ()which, by an astounding coincidence, happen usually to be Tory voters) because it was being saved to pay for the future pensions of current workers (and often not Tory voters).
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Which requires free movement and hands the redwall seats back on a plate to the Conservatives
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    TimS said:

Yes, sadly if you don’t have at least two blank pages in your passport when you set off to travel, it can be considered invalid. The only remedy is to get a new one. Frequent travellers can pay a bit more to get one with extra visa pages in the first place.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

If there is a housing crash the young will be rogered big time, .
    Exactly! The elderly with paid off mortgages will simply have less to pass on to their younger heirs. The young who have mortgages will be totally screwed!

They are not very bright and then wonder why they have no money.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but you hated the Tories even in 2019 when they won a landslide, so what?
    It's an admission of irrationality, so it's useful context.

Hatred is by definition irrational and it makes people do irrational things. Like voting for a party led by Jeremy Corbyn.
    or indeed Boris Johnson.
    Against anybody but Jeremy Corbyn, that would be a fair point.
    They were two cheeks of the same flatulent a***. Although there were differences. One allegedly had connections with senior former KGB officers whilst the other sang the Red Flag at Party Conferences and did a set at Worthy Farm.
    Still banging on about the connections with Russia as if the last year didn't happen, I see.
    Indeed. I cannot work out why this hasn't erupted into the biggest political scandal since Profumo. Scratch that, an even bigger scandal than Profumo.
    Because, when push came to shove and Putin invaded (again), Boris did the right thing.
    So if Ian Brady had said "I used to murder children on Saddleworth Moor, but now I give a tenner a week to Barnados" does that neutralise his wrongdoing? No it doesn't.

No party political bias from me here, and no comedic quips. Any senior politician should have been investigated over a similar breach and severe sanctions imposed if found to have compromised National Security. And I mean the severest of sanctions including, if appropriate, custodial sentencing. They certainly should never become Prime Minister just for slipping their Minders and stepping aboard the yacht.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Um yes, I know that thanks. Just had it shoved in my face again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No.

Used for both, see Iraq and Afghanistan as well as the Falklands and forces based in the UK.

National insurance shouldn't be used to fund defence and income tax shouldn't be used to fund healthcare
    You said "Income tax still funds defence and the armed forces today". That means you consider defence and the armed forces as separate expenditures.

If you don't speak English or use logic how can you expect to be taken seriously in discussion?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is pretty awful.

MP receives rape and death threats after speaking against Andrew Tate
    Labour’s Alex Davies-Jones ‘bombarded’ with abuse after highlighting influencer’s ‘toxic’ influence on schoolboys
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/31/mp-alex-davies-jones-rape-death-threats-speaking-against-andrew-tate

This will continue until significant numbers of people have prison sentences for committing the offences represented here.

There is an overwhelming sense that simple laws applied in other contexts are never used in relation to anything digital, telephonic or electronic. The same applies to threats, indecent communication, fraud and banking fraud- both actual and attempted, theft, impersonation for wrongful ends.

Human nature is what it is.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

TimS said:

My neighbour is tearing his hair out. Runs a business which involved a lot of trade on the continent, shipping of parts both ways, and travelling to work on machinery.

He's in despair. It's now a total utter disaster. Business ruined by fucking Brexit.
    I did consider adding that rider: or trade with the EU.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Now, if we shifted the discussion to why they won't marry gays despite being a body established by the state under laws which outlaw discrimination ...
    Most liberal Catholics in the Church of England would marry gays tomorrow, it is the evangelical Parishes blocking it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Which requires free movement and hands the redwall seats back on a plate to the Conservatives
    Like I say, it's time to name the elephant in the room.

You say this about FoM but the NHS is currently c. 150,000 understaffed. The entertainment and leisure industry is likewise on its knees.

Most of us are now calling out the lies about FoM. We NEED our Europeans over here. To run the fucking services that old crumblies in the red wall seats ALSO rely on.

So I call out your comment, not only because it takes an economic argument and makes it political (the hallmark of Brexit and it's only raison d'etre) but because it's bollocks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Most liberal Catholics in the Church of England would marry gays tomorrow, it is the evangelical Parishes blocking it
    "A big boy didn't do it and ran away" argument.

You're basically saying it's Ok to ignore the law of the land just because some of your church don't like it and think they are above the law.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Quire right he was removed for such anti Semitism.

Looks like the Church of England has acted rather quicker on anti Semitism in its ranks than Labour did
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

Looks like the Church of England has acted rather quicker on anti Semitism in its ranks than Labour did
    2005 to 2023 = 18 years. Not "rather quicker", unless you mean it in the same sense as "state pensions had to wait for NI in the UK".
  • Options

maxh said:

It's hard to say that a strike is a good thing since it is really a symptom of failure but I think it is necessary in this case to halt the slide in teachers' pay and conditions. With three children at school I have seen at first hand the problems with recruitment and retention. Please go on strike with an easy conscience!
    Thanks @olb. Hard to see it achieving much, though!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    malcolmg said:

Driver said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Not!

It has actually made quite a few front page headlines, FWIW (which makes Nerys' comments seem a bit odd.).
    But the idea it's going to be a game changer for the Tories is just silly.

They do cling to the idea, though.
    The activists interviewed on PM last night were adamant that Labour was in "a shambles". When pressed for details, literally all they could come up with was Starmer's "confusion on the trans issue".
    My point was if this had happened in England it would be headline news everyday, everyone would be aware of it, the press would be baying for the resignation of the entire Government and I used the Sunak seat belt story as an example. The SNP have done well to get away with it. That was all, there was no mention of a game changer or anything like that.

What exactly is the "it" that the SNP government have got away with?
    Using trans people as a pawn in their war against EnglandWestminster.
    You demented half witted poltroon , where did you drag that merde opinion up from.
    6/10 - 2 points of that is “poltroon”. A word that should be used more
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

It's looking as if Brsexit is a conspiracy to make us all holiday at Skegness and Mablethorpe again. That would certainly explain the voting pattern in that recent poll with the coloured map.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    TimS said:

Labour 42% (+2)
    Conservative 32% (+2)
    Reform UK 4% (-2)
    Green 4% (+1)
    Other 0% (–)

Changes +/- 11 Jan.

Anyone have the original 2019 scores do we can see movement from then? The Con-LD swing is going to very important.
    It's quite tricky in some of the Blue Wall seats. If the result last time was something like Con 40 LD 31 Lab 25, it's likely that Labour is now ahead if you go by personal preference (which is what polls mostly measure). But you can guarantee that in that sort of seats, both LDs and Lab will go hard on "Only we can win here", and the Tories could win there as a result.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Heathener said:

TimS said:

Those of us with a property in the EU (France in my case) have gone from many years of being able to work from there and come and go as we please to having our time severely restricted. It has changed my life and many others I know for considerably and for the worse. I am unforgiving. I just heard Lord Frost on radio cheerily saying how successful it would be. I felt like throttling him.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

A very splendid but incomplete sentiment. And nice whataboutery, at least in embryo.

As to answers, to take a parallel, and once a hot potato, now fairly cool; the civil state allows divorce and remarriage - and as of recently allows it without any limits at all in terms of reasons, frequency and amount.

That suggests that the state permits a 'free for all' on the subject - which indeed it does. Similarly the state does not ban adultery, but permits a free for all.

What the state allows and what opinion, secular and religious, approves is non identical on the subject of adultery, getting divorced and remarried on an annual basis and some other things. At the moment gay marriage is still in the hot potato stage.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

The chief political correspondent on SVT (roughly BBC) gave these reasons, in this order:

1. Huge worry about the ongoing war in Ukraine, which is much closer to the Nordic/Baltic region than to the UK
    2. The total collapse in the NATO application process. The game looks like it’s a bogey.
    3. Threat of international Islamic terrorism targeting Swedes and Swedish interests.

(Personally I suspect that no 2 is as important as no 1. But the journalist has impeccable sources.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

2005 to 2023 = 18 years. Not "rather quicker", unless you mean it in the same sense as "state pensions had to wait for NI in the UK".
    He was monitored in 2012, censured in 2015 when Labour elected Corbyn and has now been barred
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

IIRC he was benched rather rapidly and then spent most of this time complaining that he was in… limbo.

The Mills of God grind slow, but exceeding small….
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Those of us with a property in the EU (France in my case) have gone from many years of being able to work from there and come and go as we please to having our time severely restricted. It has changed my life and many others I know for considerably and for the worse. I am unforgiving. I just heard Lord Frost on radio cheerily saying how successful it would be. I felt like throttling him.
    You don't have any idea how you sound to a normal person, do you?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

A very splendid but incomplete sentiment. And nice whataboutery, at least in embryo.

As to answers, to take a parallel, and once a hot potato, now fairly cool; the civil state allows divorce and remarriage - and as of recently allows it without any limits at all in terms of reasons, frequency and amount.

That suggests that the state permits a 'free for all' on the subject - which indeed it does. Similarly the state does not ban adultery, but permits a free for all.

What the state allows and what opinion, secular and religious, approves is non identical on the subject of adultery, getting divorced and remarried on an annual basis and some other things. At the moment gay marriage is still in the hot potato stage.

Hmm, an interesting argument! Thanks.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Have they heard that Sweden is the next country that @Leon will be visiting?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2023
    TimS said:

This is the sort of thing that BBC has hardly covered at all recently, but with the revelations of Robbie Gibb and other Tory-leaning figures trying to sway the corporation's coverage in a more favourable or at least quiet direction on Brexit internally, I've got to say that doesn't come as too much of a surprise to me.

Evan Davis was at work in a similar way on Radio 4 today, implying the fact that the UK economy grew faster than peers in 2021-22 meant that today's figures should not be too readily connected with Brexit. He forgot to mention that it needed to grow faster, because it suffered notably worse than all its competitors in 2020, immediately after Brexit, for reasons the Brexiters have yet to explain. Hence the oft-repeated fact now that it still hasn't caught up compared to all our major neighbours in Europe ; this wasn't mentioned either, though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

You're basically saying it's Ok to ignore the law of the land just because some of your church don't like it and think they are above the law.
    Synod rules are Synod rules you need 2/3 majority to change doctrine.

Though the Bishops have now approved blessings for homosexual couples which is more than most Christian denominations or Muslim Mosques or Jewish synagogues do
  • Options

Do Britons believe a UK Government led by the Labour Party would currently be taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis? (29 January)

Yes 41% (+1)
    No 34% (-2)
    Don't know 25% (­–)

Changes +/- 22 January

41% consisting of brain dead morons, either too young to know or too stupid
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Synod rules are Synod rules you need 2/3 majority to change doctrine.

Though the Bishops have now approved blessings for homosexual couples which is more than most Christian denominations or Muslim Mosques or Jewish synagogues do
    But the Free Churches and other Congregations of the Book are not state churches of the UK, are they?
  • Options
    Driver said:

maxh said:

Better Christmas presents. I mean, primary teachers get Ferraris each festive season, or so I have heard.

Aka I’m not sure what you’re getting at!
  • Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Like I say, it's time to name the elephant in the room.

You say this about FoM but the NHS is currently c. 150,000 understaffed. The entertainment and leisure industry is likewise on its knees.

Most of us are now calling out the lies about FoM. We NEED our Europeans over here. To run the fucking services that old crumblies in the red wall seats ALSO rely on.

So I call out your comment, not only because it takes an economic argument and makes it political (the hallmark of Brexit and it's only raison d'etre) but because it's bollocks.
    And reverse this?
    https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-sees-fastest-wage-rises-sectors-most-reliant-eu-workers-indeed-2022-02-25/
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    maxh said:

Driver said:

maxh said:

Better Christmas presents. I mean, primary teachers get Ferraris each festive season, or so I have heard.

Aka I’m not sure what you’re getting at!
    OTOH even getting an apple might be considered bribery by the exam boards and fuzz. You know, like Conservative (and other) MPs never, ever, accept extra money over and above their legally set salary from the state to do their jobs as MPs. So they have to put up with whatever their monopsony employer (de facto) chooses to pay them.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

As you probably know I am in favour of house prices dropping - though every time I mention it on here people tell me how it is a bad idea. And they make sense at the time. Until I forget and decide it is a good idea again.

But I would have thought that a housing crash is most likely to hit those of working age rather than the elderly. Most elderly have paid off their house by the time they get to retirement so a house price crash doesn't really affect them accept theoretically. But those of working age - particularly if they are needing to move as family expands or they need to change jobs - are the ones who would suffer from negative equity. It is debatable if this would be offset by the improved chances for those starting on the ladder but the one set of people unlikely to be 'fucked' by it are the elderly.
    Far better if prices just rose very gently if at all and also the prices hav enot rocketed everywhere, it is mostly a London /South East issue other than some specific areas in the north and Scotland & Wales.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Maybe you have the wrong target. Here are some decent targets for your wrath:

40 years of statesmen who got us into an EU with insufficient consultation, consent and referendums.

A parliament with a remain majority who didn't have the wit to organise a Brexit, following the narrowest of votes, on an EFTA/EEA, SM basis but let a minority of extremes go far too fast.

The EU for not offering a narrow derogation from FOM which would have saved Cameron's bacon.

The Remain campaign for vying with T May for the worst campaign ever.

Cameron for resigning when he had told us that the UK would flourish either in or out of the EU.
This discussion has been closed.