Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer remains solid 71% favourite to be PM after the election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404
    eek said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Jacob Rees Mogg sets out to Tom Harwood what Conservatives must do to win over voters under 45

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1613479438058131463?s=20&t=pwEQ1cNXg_M83EtleNHyrg

I'm under 45, Jacob is talking nonsense.

What we need is to stop giving old people and pensioners a triple lock, we need house prices to come down massively and we need to massively increase housing supply.

Until then, they're done
    About 2/3 of the electorate are home owners. That's a lot of people to get pissed off if house prices come down massively.
    The figure for actual owners who haven't given moneylenders a charge on their house title is lower than 2/3. Probably most of them would be pissed off, yes, but only because most of them are stupid. This is assuming most weren't planning to sell their homes and go and sleep on park benches somewhere surrounded by piles of luxury goods they bought with the house sale proceeds. A house price crash would deprive many of that option. If you own an asset and its market value falls, you can only sell it at a lower price but it will cost you less to buy a similar one elsewhere. And most of us want to live under a roof. It would be great if house prices fell by 90%. Bring it on.
    It is of course, those with mortgages who would be hit hardest by a house price crash.

Suppose you pay £200,000 for a house, with a £150,000 mortgage. If house prices drop by say, 30%, you now have a mortgage worth more than your house.
    345,000 homes were repossessed between 1990 and 1995 in the last negative equity crisis
    That cannot be true. According to the younger generation the generation that bought houses then had it all rather easy.
    The Goode Olde Days often failed to be good.

I bought my first property in 1998 for the same price that it sold for in 1988.

It is worth thinking that many people will have never experienced houses falling in price in a serious and sustained manner. 2008 caused a bit of halt but that was rapidly made up....

Given that teenagers are rarely interesting in such things, anyone born after 1980 will be in that group.
    Depends where you live. Round here house prices didn't change in nominal terms from 2004 through to 2020-21.

Because enough houses were built to match demand so the price of old stock remained relatively static.
    Yup - but even then, peoples money was safe.... as houses.

A decade of price rises vanishing - as in a real house price fall to new, lower level is thing that hasn't been seen for a long long time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

The word “field” has been cancelled. I shit you not

Wait until they hear about Killing Fields.....named after Wilhelm Killing.

Another cracking article here....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/damar-hamlins-collapse-highlights-the-violence-black-men-experience-in-football/

Zero facts, just opinion. Exactly the same point could be made about sports like Ice Hockey, which is overwhelmingly white (and on average don't get paid as much). If you want to argue college sports are unfair because the athletes aren't fairly remunerated, that is one thing (and true across all the sports), but NFL is racist because too many black people are good at it.
    The Fields Medal is surely pretty racist too - lots of white winners? All adds to the evidence against 'fields'.
    It’s been pointed out on Twitter that if you can cancel “field” then almost any word is liable for cancellation. “Work” for a start. Slaves were sent to WORK in FIELDS

Also “sent”, “were” and “in”
    We should start a competiton for creating the longest possible non-woke sentence. I'll start.

Ectoplasmic artichokes micturate phonetically.

Your go.
    Sorry Peter. Phonetics are racist (apparently)

I can't find the original article but Yachting weekly had a piece on this all the way back in 2004. It was quoted on one of the yachting forums.

"Fears that the recommended VHF radio phonetic alphabet could be outdated, or even racist, are being examined by the government’s Department for Transport."

More recently - and probably more fairly - the German government looked at changing their phonetic alphabet because so much of it was created in the Nazi era.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/03/zacharias-not-zeppelin-germany-to-scrap-nazi-era-phonetic-table
    Shows how difficult the task is.

I like the word ephemeral but it is hard to match it with anything than cannot possibly imply prejudiced thinking. 'Matlocks' perhaps, or would this cause protests in parts of Derbyshire?
    Ephemeral ephemera.
    A short-lived fad.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Leon said:

Did you enjoy your watching of "Threads" by the way?

What city was in set in again?
  • Options

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Jacob Rees Mogg sets out to Tom Harwood what Conservatives must do to win over voters under 45

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1613479438058131463?s=20&t=pwEQ1cNXg_M83EtleNHyrg

What we need is to stop giving old people and pensioners a triple lock, we need house prices to come down massively and we need to massively increase housing supply.

Until then, they're done
    About 2/3 of the electorate are home owners. That's a lot of people to get pissed off if house prices come down massively.
    The figure for actual owners who haven't given moneylenders a charge on their house title is lower than 2/3. Probably most of them would be pissed off, yes, but only because most of them are stupid. This is assuming most weren't planning to sell their homes and go and sleep on park benches somewhere surrounded by piles of luxury goods they bought with the house sale proceeds. A house price crash would deprive many of that option. If you own an asset and its market value falls, you can only sell it at a lower price but it will cost you less to buy a similar one elsewhere. And most of us want to live under a roof. It would be great if house prices fell by 90%. Bring it on.
    It is of course, those with mortgages who would be hit hardest by a house price crash.

Suppose you pay £200,000 for a house, with a £150,000 mortgage. If house prices drop by say, 30%, you now have a mortgage worth more than your house.
    345,000 homes were repossessed between 1990 and 1995 in the last negative equity crisis
    That cannot be true. According to the younger generation the generation that bought houses then had it all rather easy.

It is worth thinking that many people will have never experienced houses falling in price in a serious and sustained manner. 2008 caused a bit of halt but that was rapidly made up....

Given that teenagers are rarely interesting in such things, anyone born after 1980 will be in that group.
    When 3-5% interest rates was considered low....There is a whole generation who never experienced historic normal interest rates.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

When 3-5% interest rates was considered low....There is a whole generation who never experienced historic normal interest rates.

People have had the lowest interest rates in centuries, and the current rates are not high at all. There is going to be a real mess if interest rates ever do return to historic norms.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Yep. Someone who was 25 in 2008 will be 40 this year. That’s 10m or so adults who have never really known interest rates on a mortgage be anything other than effectively zero.

Wait until the rates filter through to a normally-supplied car market, when all of a sudden that £50k BMW isn’t £300 a month to lease any more, but more like £800.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2023
    glw said:

People have had the lowest interest rates in centuries, and the current rates are not high at all. There is going to be a real mess if interest rates ever do return to historic norms.
    It would make the issues with heating and leccy having gone up look like a walk in the park.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

True, and not only that they haven't experienced rising interest rates either.

I agree about the good old days. We tend to remember the good.

when people say, for instance, how much better TV, Films or Music was in the past they are just remembering the good and forgetting the vast amount of bilge there was.
    Plus channel hopping was BBC1. BBC2 and ITV and that was it. its weird - I live through my life but I struggle to remember what it was really like. Take the weather. People like to say that winter has changed - its not really for me. SW Wilts has delivered as much snow and cold weather in the last 13 years that it did when i was growing up in the 80's and 90's. I don't recall it ever raining in the summer holidays. But it did.
    I think weather has changed since the 80s and 90s. I don't remember rain being as heavy as it can be nowadays is - round here we see roads getting flooding 3-4 times a year when it used to be say once a year max.
    Roads flooding is probably a very poor indicator - reduction in drain cleaning, or even damage to drains from things like tree roots or road repairs, can all cause issues with much lighter rainfall.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    https://www7.politicalbetting.com appears to be down, just saying.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Yep. Someone who was 25 in 2008 will be 40 this year. That’s 10m or so adults who have never really known interest rates on a mortgage be anything other than effectively zero.

Wait until the rates filter through to a normally-supplied car market, when all of a sudden that £50k BMW isn’t £300 a month to lease any more, but more like £800.
    Yes - the car rental/HP market will be horrifying.

The other one that will hit hard will be the phone/laptop thing. All the lower income people I know seem to have phones bought via their contracts (at vast interest cost) and bought their (often high end Apple) laptops on HP.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    DJ41 said:

kamski said:

DJ41 said:

Leon said:
    Tom Jones with EMF was the peak?
    Surely this was when the world peaked:-

Sex claim at No 10 lockdown party

Some of Boris Johnson’s aides are believed to have had sex at 10 Downing Street during a party that took place during lockdown on the eve of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.

Two couples were seen by numerous witnesses becoming intimate with each other at the gathering of aides and officials, which continued past 4am. One pair were seen “feeling each other up” in a kitchen before retiring to a dark room from which they later emerged “flustered”. The other pair were seen going into an office “with the lights off”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-partygate-joked-about-lack-of-social-distancing-at-downing-street-lockdown-event-qh5fcw9pz (£££)

Flustered. That's a good word. Hope it doesn't get cancelled.
    I think 'feeling each other up' is some of the worst writing I've seen since 'The Ice Twins'.
    I love parties like get out of hand like that!

Is this why Allegro Stratton looked just so bashful denying the lockdown party to camera?

At least some people in the country thought lockdown and social distancing was mad and not worth complying with, because they come out of this the winners don’t they? Take the different students for example. Those who partied through lockdown like Tories were are now good and healthy and probably in a relationship - those who followed the government message now alone and on citalopram.

Distance needs to pass before history books can sum the big picture up correctly, but it’s getting there? 1) ring fence the old and vulnerable, everyone else get on with parties and sex 2) don’t let NHS backlog get in such a state that the backlog wipes out as many as those save by lockdowns
    Plotting death rates "with SARSCoV2" (admittedly a stupid statistic but widely used) against vaccination rates, country by country and region by region, can be done right now, by any reasonably numerate person using figures from say Worldometers and the NYT. Vaccination (≥ 1 dose) was carried out to different extents in different countries, including in countries that have fairly similar social conditions, e.g. 78% in Germany, 81% in France, 81% in Britain, 84% in Italy. Does more of it correspond to lower death rates "with" the 2019 SARS variant per 1m population or not? Germany 1946, France 2488, Britain 2935, Italy 3077.
    Presumably your conclusion from this (as you say yourself "stupid") exercise is: countries that had big first waves before vaccines were available (Italy, Britain) had more deaths than countries that didn't (Germany).

Or what was your point?
    It's not stupid. Death rates "with SARSCoV2" are the only ones I know how to get with the amount of effort I'm able to put in. It's first-order. A second-order consideration would bring in the movements of both rates over time - that's certainly true and not a point that needs to be made insultingly.

"Do the stats show that vaccination worked?" is not at all a stupid question, much as it may offend some.
    Wait a minute, you used the word "stupid" to describe the statistic you used. Which you didn't draw any conclusions from. "Just asking questions", right?

""Do the stats show that vaccination worked?" is a reasonable question which doesn't offend me in the slightest. It's a question which you admit you can't be bothered to answer, but anyway, what was your conclusion from the figures you could be bothered to make the effort of quoting?

If you want a simplistic analysis that makes slightly more sense (at least counting methods should be the same) have a look at the top 5 German Bundesländer for coronavirus deaths per capita:
    1. Saxony
    2. Thüringen
    3. Sachsen-Anhalt
    4. Brandeburg
    5. Bavaria

and compare with the 5 Bundesländer with the lowest vaccination rates:

1. Saxony
    2. Brandenburg
    3. Thüringen
    4. Sachsen-Anhalt
    5. Bavaria

The differences are quite big too.

Saxony 412 covid deaths per 100,000 inhabitants (34% of total population unvaccinated)
    Schleswig-Holstein 116 covid deaths per 100,000 inhabitants (19% unvaccinated)

As not many children under 12 (and none under 5) have been vaccinated anywhere, the difference in unvaccinated rates for adults (and especially older adults) will be even starker - the majority of the unvaccinated in Schleswig-Holstein will be children.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done
    To be fair Jacob did mention reforming planning to make it easier to build new housing.

Should also be noted of course the Conservatives won a majority of 80 in 2019 despite losing most under 45s anyway
    He's planning for a majority of 150....
  • Options
    Let the traitors go and take their farms and country manors with them if they can. And strip them of their citizenship if they don't want to pay UK taxes.
  • Options

Let the traitors go and take their farms and country manors with them if they can. And strip them of their citizenship if they don't want to pay UK taxes.
    Citizens of nowhere, eh?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

Careful - how different is that sentiment to Teresa May's 'Citizens of Nowhere' speech?
  • Options
    glw said:

Not long after base rates hit "the lowest since Bank of England started" or whatever it was, I found a 20 year mortgage product, fixed at x above base - that was portable. You could take it with you if you moved house.

I tried in vain to get my wife to agree.....

It was a deal, a steal, the sale of the....
  • Options

Careful - how different is that sentiment to Teresa May's 'Citizens of Nowhere' speech?
    Great minds.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?
    I am sure they'll buy themselves citizenship somewhere. But if they love money more than they love Britain, so be it.
  • Options

glw said:

Not long after base rates hit "the lowest since Bank of England started" or whatever it was, I found a 20 year mortgage product, fixed at x above base - that was portable. You could take it with you if you moved house.

I hope she reminds you of it regularly ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Citizens of nowhere, eh?
    I am sure they'll buy themselves citizenship somewhere. But if they love money more than they love Britain, so be it.
    I presume you want to stop free movement in, say, Europe?

For example, it is very common for people to work in Switzerland, and pay their taxes (and live) in France.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,178

Leon said:

I watched this recently. It was good.

I wasn't impressed at all the smoking in the control room. Would have been a really stuffy atmosphere.

I watched a Sweeney episode recently, great episode. Regan and Carter duffing up some blaggers. Everyone smoked in the episode. Must have been compulsory then.

I think I would have sooner took my chance with the nuke.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

https://www7.politicalbetting.com appears to be down, just saying.

Back now. Russian hackers have clearly moved on to other fish.
  • Options

glw said:

Jason Statham's 2 mins at the start of that movie is still to this day one of my favourite bits across tv and movies.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

The other one that will hit hard will be the phone/laptop thing. All the lower income people I know seem to have phones bought via their contracts (at vast interest cost) and bought their (often high end Apple) laptops on HP.
    People are buying laptops on HP? Ouch!

There’s so many new-in-the-past-decade financial service or VC-funded business models, that just don’t work when interest rates are ‘normal’ rather than zero.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?
    I presume you want to stop free movement in, say, Europe?

For example, it is very common for people to work in Switzerland, and pay their taxes (and live) in France.
    Entirely happy with that. What I object to is people enjoying all the benefits of UK citizenship while not paying their taxes.
  • Options
    glw said:

Not for those of us who are savers who have been screwed by low interest rates over the past 14 years.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

glw said:

I remind her, every time she accuses me of being extravagant.

It was 1% (or something like that), above the lowest base rate ever.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    kjh said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Although it is no concilation it is also not new. I sold one of my previous houses for significantly less than I paid for it and my mortgage interest rate was 15%
    That is an interesting spelling I've used there.

I see others have taken up the theme of the good old days of 15% interest and house prices falling. As per my other post I'm afraid this is only of interest to those of us who lived through it. As per my other post, when I was 15 WW2 was distant history yet was only 20 years previous. Now I talk to my daughter about my Uni days and wonder why she is not interested. That was 50 years ago.

It is even worse in the world of work. I was once working with a new marketing team from a certain company I had worked with for many years previously and we were organising a conference. They announced the conference as the biggest yet and proudly announced the speaker would be Richard Noble of Thrust fame. I pointed out it was smaller than the one we did 2 years earlier and we had used the same speaker. I suggested their customers might notice. As far as they were concerned the world started when they all joined. No history existed.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Illegally creating a large number of stateless people?
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?
    Fine, but that is exactly the criticism that May had - if you are not fixed to one place, you are a citizen of nowhere.

I understand why they do it. If you can 'live' in another country and pay less tax, the attraction is there. That lifestyle is so far removed from how the rest of us live though. Its why tax policy is so complicated.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Let me put it this way then: UK citizens should pay the equivalent of UK taxes wherever they live. If they pay local taxes I am happy for those to be offset against their UK tax bill. If they don't want to pay UK taxes they should renounce their citizenship.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

There’s so many new-in-the-past-decade financial service or VC-funded business models, that just don’t work when interest rates are ‘normal’ rather than zero.
    The number of people who have a £2K Apple, complete with all the toys, to browse the web with and write email....
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Driver said:

Let me put it this way then: UK citizens should pay the equivalent of UK taxes wherever they live. If they pay local taxes I am happy for those to be offset against their UK tax bill. If they don't want to pay UK taxes they should renounce their citizenship.
    Sounds like the US attitude to tax.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,187
    eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

when people say, for instance, how much better TV, Films or Music was in the past they are just remembering the good and forgetting the vast amount of bilge there was.
    Plus channel hopping was BBC1. BBC2 and ITV and that was it. its weird - I live through my life but I struggle to remember what it was really like. Take the weather. People like to say that winter has changed - its not really for me. SW Wilts has delivered as much snow and cold weather in the last 13 years that it did when i was growing up in the 80's and 90's. I don't recall it ever raining in the summer holidays. But it did.
    I think weather has changed since the 80s and 90s. I don't remember rain being as heavy as it can be nowadays is - round here we see roads getting flooding 3-4 times a year when it used to be say once a year max.
    I used to be a bit of a man-made climate-change skeptic. Now that feels ridiculous

In the last few years the maximum temp ever recorded in the UK has gone from about 36C to over 40C, and the record has been broken several times since 1990
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Although it is no concilation it is also not new. I sold one of my previous houses for significantly less than I paid for it and my mortgage interest rate was 15%

I see others have taken up the theme of the good old days of 15% interest and house prices falling. As per my other post I'm afraid this is only of interest to those of us who lived through it. As per my other post, when I was 15 WW2 was distant history yet was only 20 years previous. Now I talk to my daughter about my Uni days and wonder why she is not interested. That was 50 years ago.

It is even worse in the world of work. I was once working with a new marketing team from a certain company I had worked with for many years previously and we were organising a conference. They announced the conference as the biggest yet and proudly announced the speaker would be Richard Noble of Thrust fame. I pointed out it was smaller than the one we did 2 years earlier and we had used the same speaker. I suggested their customers might notice. As far as they were concerned the world started when they all joined. No history existed.
    Noble is a great speaker though. One of the last of the old-school adventurers, pushing the limits of technology, and nearly bankrupting himself several times in the process, for no reason other than to see if it’s possible.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?
    Fine, but that is exactly the criticism that May had - if you are not fixed to one place, you are a citizen of nowhere.

I understand why they do it. If you can 'live' in another country and pay less tax, the attraction is there. That lifestyle is so far removed from how the rest of us live though. Its why tax policy is so complicated.
    See my other post. Live where they like, pay local taxes, offset those against their UK tax bill, no escaping UK tax while remaining a UK citizen just cos you're rich enough,
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

I wasn't impressed at all the smoking in the control room. Would have been a really stuffy atmosphere.

I watched a Sweeney episode recently, great episode. Regan and Carter duffing up some blaggers. Everyone smoked in the episode. Must have been compulsory then.

When was smoking banned in cinemas? Wartime cinema is always shown with smoke filled rooms. I know I worked in pubs in my late teens and early 20's and smoking was still allowed (had to change clothes each shift). And yet we forget that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

The number of people who have a £2K Apple, complete with all the toys, to browse the web with and write email....
    That’s nuts. I only have the £1,800 one, and I’m the head of IT!
  • Options

glw said:

I remind her, every time she accuses me of being extravagant.

It was 1% (or something like that), above the lowest base rate ever.
    We sat at 1% above base rate on our old mortgage for 14 years. have just remortgaged (10 yr fix at 2.78%) to do an extension. Happy with the new rate as I am old enough to know/suspect that the very low rates aren't coming back (for a while, if ever).
  • Options

You’re a fucking idiot. Britain is set on a catastrophic economic course, driving away the wealthy and smart, leaving an ever smaller tax base to pay for an ever larger welfare state, which is already in a prolonged state of collapse

We risk becoming 70s New York City, or even a new Argentina

Get the fuck out of Britain, is my advice to anyone under 40. And to myself

(And, btw, both main parties are to blame for this, but the ideological impetus originates with the Left)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

It will be interesting to see how the likes of Klarna get on in a rising interest rate environment.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

See my other post. Live where they like, pay local taxes, offset those against their UK tax bill, no escaping UK tax while remaining a UK citizen just cos you're rich enough,
    That’s what the US does, with a $120k allowance, and it leads to tens of thousands of people renouncing their American citizenship every year. That, and places like the sandpit paying bonuses in cash, because there’s no local income reporting requirement.
  • Options

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Wait until they hear about Killing Fields.....named after Wilhelm Killing.

Another cracking article here....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/damar-hamlins-collapse-highlights-the-violence-black-men-experience-in-football/

Zero facts, just opinion. Exactly the same point could be made about sports like Ice Hockey, which is overwhelmingly white (and on average don't get paid as much). If you want to argue college sports are unfair because the athletes aren't fairly remunerated, that is one thing (and true across all the sports), but NFL is racist because too many black people are good at it.
    The Fields Medal is surely pretty racist too - lots of white winners? All adds to the evidence against 'fields'.
    It’s been pointed out on Twitter that if you can cancel “field” then almost any word is liable for cancellation. “Work” for a start. Slaves were sent to WORK in FIELDS

Also “sent”, “were” and “in”
    We should start a competiton for creating the longest possible non-woke sentence. I'll start.

Ectoplasmic artichokes micturate phonetically.

Your go.
    Sorry Peter. Phonetics are racist (apparently)

I can't find the original article but Yachting weekly had a piece on this all the way back in 2004. It was quoted on one of the yachting forums.

"Fears that the recommended VHF radio phonetic alphabet could be outdated, or even racist, are being examined by the government’s Department for Transport."

More recently - and probably more fairly - the German government looked at changing their phonetic alphabet because so much of it was created in the Nazi era.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/03/zacharias-not-zeppelin-germany-to-scrap-nazi-era-phonetic-table
    Shows how difficult the task is.

I like the word ephemeral but it is hard to match it with anything than cannot possibly imply prejudiced thinking. 'Matlocks' perhaps, or would this cause protests in parts of Derbyshire?
    It is quite fun taking random words and putting them into google followed by the word 'racist'.

Apparently I am completely screwed as both Geology and Archaeology are racist. As are all the sciences I could think of and, of course, maths.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

I went mad - but I paid cash. I'm an IT developer and figure that I need something that is cutting edge. I've done GPU development in the past where I had the GPU running at 100% of theoretical capacity and the CPU at 80% - reserving some cores so that you can use the machine!

As head of IT - what do you need that can't be done by a tablet with a keyboard? :-)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

My previous MacBook, in 2016, was £1750, the latest one £999. And it's a lot faster. A little rare deflation.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

It will be interesting to see how the likes of Klarna get on in a rising interest rate environment.
    Almost certainly unsustainable, and with a massive bad debt problem if unemployment ticks up.

Anything B2C, with massive startup marketing cost, is likely dead in the water.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    Have to admit I like the American system. Advocates for it in the UK (and I include myself in that) would also have to accept the other side though - which is that these expats would still be allowed to vote in all the elections. No taxation without representation and all that.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

My previous MacBook, in 2016, was £1750, the latest one £999. And it's a lot faster. A little rare deflation.
    That's because you are smart enough to scale the spec to to your requirements.

Apple and the other high end computer makers make alot of money off selling prime silicon to people who never use 10% of it.

You can spend £6K on an Apple laptop if you want.

A MacAir with the M1 chip is more than adequate for most people. I had a VM running an Oracle Database while developing in IntelliJ on one and it didn't complain. Video conversion wasn't that slow either.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

I used to be a bit of a man-made climate-change skeptic. Now that feels ridiculous

In the last few years the maximum temp ever recorded in the UK has gone from about 36C to over 40C, and the record has been broken several times since 1990
    I class myself as a lukewarmer - climate change is undeniable, we have the evidence. What I am more skeptical about is the extremes projected by some. I think a lot of it is media driven (a bit like covid), but also by the need for researchers to get papers and funding. We will need to adapt, and thats easy for a comfortably off chap in England to say, less so in the developing world global south. There will be pain and suffering.
    But it also probably true that the climate has always changed - the Roman Warm Period, the Medieval Warm Period etc. Looking further back the Earth has seen vastly different conditions. Adaptation will cost and not be easy, but its possible.
    And as is often said - what is we create a greener, more sustainable better world to live in a global warming was wrong? Well we still have the greener, more sustainable, better world to live in. In truth I am more worried about resource depletion than the temperature. The better we get at circular technology the better.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    edited January 2023
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Noble is a great speaker though. One of the last of the old-school adventurers, pushing the limits of technology, and nearly bankrupting himself several times in the process, for no reason other than to see if it’s possible.
    I wouldn't have said he was a great speaker, but he had a really great subject to talk about. I was chatting to a salesman at the bar afterwards and we were talking about how good the talk was. He said 'It just makes you want to stand to attention, salute and sing Rule Britannia'. I had to agree and I'm not someone who gets all emotional about this stuff. It was really stirring.

I certainly remember him over some better speakers, but with less interesting topics.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,929

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

You are presuming that all this ultra rich group are UK citizens. The vast majority who would leave are not. They are financiers, entrepreneurs, business owners, and other various wealthy people, think of the Rausings of the world, who have chosen to live in Britain.

Tax isn’t necessarily the sole reason for them choosing to live in Britain - issues such as safety, rule of law, education, culture all play a big part but when the scales tip and the country becomes more hostile to wealth and business a major plank in their reasoning for living here goes.

You might think “good riddance” as I guess you think that they pay less tax as a proportion of their wealth but it’s still millions and millions that the UK gets that they don’t if these people go.

Then there are the thousands of people who get paid, and pay taxes as they are directly employed by these people either in their businesses they have here or in their domestic settings. And then the people who benefit from their spending - you might not weep if a few Ferrari dealerships close down but the salesmen down to the car cleaners will.

So it’s cool if you think the principle is more important and they should F off however if you had a relative or friend whose livelihood goes then your principle has cost a job and cost the exchequer, the VAT on their annual super car - a couple of nurses’ salaries for year.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

When was smoking banned in cinemas? Wartime cinema is always shown with smoke filled rooms. I know I worked in pubs in my late teens and early 20's and smoking was still allowed (had to change clothes each shift). And yet we forget that.
    Only at the same time as everywhere else indoors - 2007. Though some cinemas had already banned smoking long before. Canon did it in 1987.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

I went mad - but I paid cash. I'm an IT developer and figure that I need something that is cutting edge. I've done GPU development in the past where I had the GPU running at 100% of theoretical capacity and the CPU at 80% - reserving some cores so that you can use the machine!

As head of IT - what do you need that can't be done by a tablet with a keyboard? :-)
    Oh, when I was self-employed I was totally set up to be able to work with the iPad from any pub with either Wi-Fi or a 4g signal. Loads of VPNs and cloud management tools on it!

The work computer now is mostly a QA environment full of VMs, and faster than most of the prod rack of old servers running on a single laptop!
  • Options
    boulay said:

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

You are presuming that all this ultra rich group are UK citizens. The vast majority who would leave are not. They are financiers, entrepreneurs, business owners, and other various wealthy people, think of the Rausings of the world, who have chosen to live in Britain.

Tax isn’t necessarily the sole reason for them choosing to live in Britain - issues such as safety, rule of law, education, culture all play a big part but when the scales tip and the country becomes more hostile to wealth and business a major plank in their reasoning for living here goes.

You might think “good riddance” as I guess you think that they pay less tax as a proportion of their wealth but it’s still millions and millions that the UK gets that they don’t if these people go.

Then there are the thousands of people who get paid, and pay taxes as they are directly employed by these people either in their businesses they have here or in their domestic settings. And then the people who benefit from their spending - you might not weep if a few Ferrari dealerships close down but the salesmen down to the car cleaners will.

So it’s cool if you think the principle is more important and they should F off however if you had a relative or friend whose livelihood goes then your principle has cost a job and cost the exchequer, the VAT on their annual super car - a couple of nurses’ salaries for year.
    I'm the only person in my team with a UK passport, at the moment.

This is quite common in IT. And the City in general.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

Policy Exchange:

This report demonstrates that the Scottish National Party’s (SNP) Gender Recognition Reform Bill, which aims to change the law regulating legal sex change for those born or resident in Scotland, will fundamentally alter the law relating to equal opportunities across the United Kingdom.

The report argues that the United Kingdom Government can – and should – make a section 35 order under the Scotland Act 1998 to block Royal assent for the Bill, which would prevent it from becoming law.

https://policyexchange.org.uk/publication/the-scottish-gender-recognition-reform-bill/

1 week to go for the more likely s33 referral to the UK Supreme Court.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    boulay said:

It's a bit like bankers bonuses, removing the cap will raise a lot more tax than if the bonus went elsewhere in the economy. It may not be "fair" but it's a nice little bonus for the Treasury.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

A pedant notes: that might puncture your climate change scepticism, but not necessarily your man-made climate-change scepticism.

We do 'feel' like we're getting more weather. But I'm always slightly sceptical of remembered weather.

As to telly, we had less telly, but it was considerably better.
    (About a year ago, there was a great website which showed you the whole listings for any given date. I can't find it now. But you could make a whole evening's entertainment out of just what was on in a way which is unimaginable now.)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    Have to admit I like the American system. Advocates for it in the UK (and I include myself in that) would also have to accept the other side though - which is that these expats would still be allowed to vote in all the elections. No taxation without representation and all that.
    Isn't that what caught Boris Johnson out, so he had to relinquish his US citizenship and throw away his opportunity to be both UK PM and POTUS?
  • Options
    Bulgarian prosecutors have launched an investigation into alleged illegal activities conducted by cryptocurrency lender Nexo, they said on Thursday, raiding more than 15 sites in the capital Sofia.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/bulgaria-launches-probe-crypto-lender-nexo-raids-sites-2023-01-12
  • Options
    glw said:

boulay said:

It's a bit like bankers bonuses, removing the cap will raise a lot more tax than if the bonus went elsewhere in the economy. It may not be "fair" but it's a nice little bonus for the Treasury.
    The bankers bonus cap was a typically vindictive piece of EU legislation, not caring if the money ended up in New York or Geneva, so long as it wasn’t in London.

Any sensible Chancellor or trade minister, should be shouting from the rooftops, that the UK is the best place in the world for hundred millionaires to live and base their companies. Because guess what Singapore and Dubai are doing!
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    Isn't that what caught Boris Johnson out, so he had to relinquish his US citizenship and throw away his opportunity to be both UK PM and POTUS?
    Not quite.

The tax offset is almost complete for income tax. The issue comes with Capital Gains on property. Which means that if you are a US citizen and sell a property abroad....

Voting is quite hard for US citizens if you live aboard. Near impossible if you are settled abroad. IIRC you can vote in Florida by claiming you intend to reside there - but that is quite sketchy, I believe.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    edited January 2023
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

A pedant notes: that might puncture your climate change scepticism, but not necessarily your man-made climate-change scepticism.

We do 'feel' like we're getting more weather. But I'm always slightly sceptical of remembered weather.

(About a year ago, there was a great website which showed you the whole listings for any given date. I can't find it now. But you could make a whole evening's entertainment out of just what was on in a way which is unimaginable now.)
    We also don't dredge rivers anymore. Even now we've left the EU, we still have all their bollocks about dredging rivers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:
    Tom Jones with EMF was the peak?
    Surely this was when the world peaked:-

Sex claim at No 10 lockdown party

Some of Boris Johnson’s aides are believed to have had sex at 10 Downing Street during a party that took place during lockdown on the eve of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.

Two couples were seen by numerous witnesses becoming intimate with each other at the gathering of aides and officials, which continued past 4am. One pair were seen “feeling each other up” in a kitchen before retiring to a dark room from which they later emerged “flustered”. The other pair were seen going into an office “with the lights off”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-partygate-joked-about-lack-of-social-distancing-at-downing-street-lockdown-event-qh5fcw9pz (£££)

Flustered. That's a good word. Hope it doesn't get cancelled.
    I think 'feeling each other up' is some of the worst writing I've seen since 'The Ice Twins'.
    I love parties like get out of hand like that!

Is this why Allegro Stratton looked just so bashful denying the lockdown party to camera?

At least some people in the country thought lockdown and social distancing was mad and not worth complying with, because they come out of this the winners don’t they? Take the different students for example. Those who partied through lockdown like Tories were are now good and healthy and probably in a relationship - those who followed the government message now alone and on citalopram.

Distance needs to pass before history books can sum the big picture up correctly, but it’s getting there? 1) ring fence the old and vulnerable, everyone else get on with parties and sex 2) don’t let NHS backlog get in such a state that the backlog wipes out as many as those save by lockdowns
    1) Is nonsense though isn't it? Firstly who is vulnerable? I was asked to shield (on the day shielding officially ended) because of leukemia 8 years before (remission for 7 years). I was 48 at the time. Who shields? It would be millions and millions stopping their lives so that the young can be out and about as normal. And besides - the inhumanity of shielding. There are still people who have not left the house for three years. The issue with Covid is that you don't know if you are vulnerable. Lots of people under 50 died, many who considered themselves healthy. They were just unlucky.

So no, shield the vulnerable is nonsense.
    I wish you continued remission.

But your statement makes no sense. If everyone is being locked down then you don't go out. If just you are locked down and the uni students can go party they you don't go out.

So the only issue is that in one case you don't go out and no one else does; and in the other you don't go out and other people do.

I see no reason, given that it doesn't affect your own situation, why you would want to deny others who are likely not vulnerable at all or only to a tiny degree the ability to go out.

I hesitate to say dog in the manger...
    Furthermore anyone's ability to stay locked down depends on other people going out to work to provide goods and services to them and keep everything running.
  • Options
    The former chief executive of Barclays has been accused of facilitating sex trafficking for Jeffrey Epstein after forming a “profound” friendship with the late paedophile financier, according to a new lawsuit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/01/12/ex-barclays-chief-jes-staley-accused-facilitating-paedophile/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    Sandpit said:

Any sensible Chancellor or trade minister, should be shouting from the rooftops, that the UK is the best place in the world for hundred millionaires to live and base their companies.

without Brexit it might even have been true !
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

boulay said:

The bankers bonus cap was a typically vindictive piece of EU legislation, not caring if the money ended up in New York or Geneva, so long as it wasn’t in London.

Any sensible Chancellor or trade minister, should be shouting from the rooftops, that the UK is the best place in the world for hundred millionaires to live and base their companies. Because guess what Singapore and Dubai are doing!
    Yes. Flies and honey spring to mind (though apparently you do actually get more with vinegar).
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

We also don't dredge rivers anymore. Even now we've left the EU, we still have all their bollocks about dredging rivers.
    Actually, we do.

After the big floods under the coalition, a lot of waterways got cleared.

Mysteriously.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065

Disgusting that people want Johnson back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHIJyaENFMk

Joe said it best, this man must never be allowed in office again.

After his hypocrisy over Qatar, I'm not sure anyone should take moral lessons from him.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Actually, we do.

Mysteriously.....
    It was some Luckyguy1983 hyperbole. :lol: We have made it far, far more difficult to get rivers dredged than it used to be, and despite leaving the EU, and EA has not stepped back from this silliness.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Any sensible Chancellor or trade minister, should be shouting from the rooftops, that the UK is the best place in the world for hundred millionaires to live and base their companies.

without Brexit it might even have been true !
    Oh, have Dubai and Singapore joined the EU?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Do you not recall the story of Sadly Broke? A vast negative equity new build project in the village of Bradley Stoke to the west of Bristol. If the negative equity property owners could weather the storm it wasn't too many years before they were back in clover.

My mortgage rate in the early 1980s at one point weighed in at 18%, but mortgages were easy to find and time has been our friend.

I have a relative who paid £25k for a very large Edwardian semi in West Hampstead in 1976. It is tipping £2m today.

Please note investments can also go down.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Actually, we do.

Mysteriously.....
    It was some Luckyguy1983 hyperbole. :lol: We have made it far, far more difficult to get rivers dredged than it used to be, and despite leaving the EU, and EA has not stepped back from this silliness.
    The problem was a combination of

1) Demented gold plating of regulations
    2) Cost cutting of all that nasty, dirty stuff involving mud, and spending on nice offices instead.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

I class myself as a lukewarmer - climate change is undeniable, we have the evidence. What I am more skeptical about is the extremes projected by some. I think a lot of it is media driven (a bit like covid), but also by the need for researchers to get papers and funding. We will need to adapt, and thats easy for a comfortably off chap in England to say, less so in the developing world global south. There will be pain and suffering.
    But it also probably true that the climate has always changed - the Roman Warm Period, the Medieval Warm Period etc. Looking further back the Earth has seen vastly different conditions. Adaptation will cost and not be easy, but its possible.
    And as is often said - what is we create a greener, more sustainable better world to live in a global warming was wrong? Well we still have the greener, more sustainable, better world to live in. In truth I am more worried about resource depletion than the temperature. The better we get at circular technology the better.
    Frankly, your statement that "it also probably true that the climate has always changed" indicates that you have no clue whatsoever about the topic.

There's no probably about it. Climatologists know that the Earth's climate has always changed, and they have a pretty good understanding of why the Earth's climate has changed. Their predictions of climate change resulting from anthropogenic changes to the Earth's atmospheric composition are based on precisely that understanding.

The IPCC reports are a good place to start if you are interested in learning about climate change.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Frankly, your statement that "it also probably true that the climate has always changed" indicates that you have no clue whatsoever about the topic.

There's no probably about it. Climatologists know that the Earth's climate has always changed, and they have a pretty good understanding of why the Earth's climate has changed. Their predictions of climate change resulting from anthropogenic changes to the Earth's atmospheric composition are based on precisely that understanding.

The IPCC reports are a good place to start if you are interested in learning about climate change.
    I know it has - I'm was trying not to trigger the zealots. I have spent far too much of my life on climate science.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    I suppose he could always reapply (can he?). After all they can't take away the fact he was born in the US and so meets that qualification - unlike poor old Arnie who might have been a surprisingly good POTUS.
  • Options

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Do you not recall the story of Sadly Broke? A vast negative equity new build project in the village of Bradley Stoke to the west of Bristol. If the negative equity property owners could weather the storm it wasn't too many years before they were back in clover.

My mortgage rate in the early 1980s at one point weighed in at 18%, but mortgages were easy to find and time has been our friend.

I have a relative who paid £25k for a very large Edwardian semi in West Hampstead in 1976. It is tipping £2m today.

Please note investments can also go down.
    1990s. Fat fingers!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256
    edited January 2023

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    I suppose he could always reapply (can he?). After all they can't take away the fact he was born in the US and so meets that qualification - unlike poor old Arnie who might have been a surprisingly good POTUS.
    There's the lesser-known requirement to have lived in the US for 14 years (I presume the 14 years immediately prior to being nominated, but even if not Johnson is still probably at least a decade from the qualification).
  • Options
    Leon said:

You’re a fucking idiot. Britain is set on a catastrophic economic course, driving away the wealthy and smart, leaving an ever smaller tax base to pay for an ever larger welfare state, which is already in a prolonged state of collapse

(And, btw, both main parties are to blame for this, but the ideological impetus originates with the Left)
    Can we have a whip-round for your one way plane ticket out?

The UK in many ways, I agree, has gone to the dogs. I am here in Erdogan's Turkiye, and despite the 100% inflation it's bangin'.

After only 24 years of left leaning UK
    Government out of the last 70, I am still scratching my head over your last paragraph.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

Absurd. TV is vastly better now. I can pick up this iPad and find 100 drama series I might want to watch. Some of them will be masterpieces. TV sport is better, more varied, documentaries are richer, deeper, news is 24/7 and from all angles

ITV and BBC are worse, but that’s an entirely different and narrower question, and partly a consequence of TV in general being much improved (more choice, less money for them)
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    There's the lesser-known requirement to have lived in the US for 14 years (I presume the 14 years immediately prior to being nominated, but even if not Johnson is still probably at least a decade from the qualification).
    Ah cheers. Damn we can't get rid of him that way then ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

And it will get worse under a Starmer government with the top income tax rate restored to 50% and abolition of non dom tax status and restoration of caps on bankers bonuses and a likely wealth tax too.

Even Macron's France or Meloni's Italy or Ireland might look more attractive to the wealthy as well as Switzerland and Singapore and Dubai of course (albeit Germany, Australia, Canada, NZ, Spain and most of the US are now also under centre left government).
  • Options

Leon said:

The UK in many ways, I agree, has gone to the dogs. I am here in Erdogan's Turkiye, and despite the 100% inflation it's bangin'.

Government out of the last 70, I am still scratching my head over your last paragraph.
    Mass immigration is a significant reason Britain is permanently fucked. Thanks to the Left
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    It was the optics - which hadn't been so troublesome when he was mayor of London and then foreign secretary. Unless you know something about his tax affairs that hasn't been reported.

How many British government ministers are citizens of other countries, or could successfully claim another country's citizenship at the drop of a hat, is unknown.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Mass immigration is a significant reason Britain is permanently fucked. Thanks to the Left
    The Left haven't been in power since 2010.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,608
    This is a very good point.
    It's why the US developed, and continues to have, a dominant semiconductor industry (among other things).

For all the talk about Europe’s deep tech potential, nations are missing an important history lesson.

In emerging tech categories (eg semis) where market timing is hard and R&D cycles are long, government *should* step in as a buyer of 1st resort for their domestic players.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nathanbenaich/status/1587594335784140801
  • Options

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

DJ41 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Until then, they're done

That's because you are smart enough to scale the spec to to your requirements.

Apple and the other high end computer makers make alot of money off selling prime silicon to people who never use 10% of it.

You can spend £6K on an Apple laptop if you want.

A MacAir with the M1 chip is more than adequate for most people. I had a VM running an Oracle Database while developing in IntelliJ on one and it didn't complain. Video conversion wasn't that slow either.
    I'm still flabberghasted, and hyped, that ARM chips have finally made it big as a 'desktop' chip. It's what we were trying to at Acorn 25 years ago, but we didn't stand a chance of really competing with the big boys, for a number of reasons.

'Our' (*) chip did compete with the big boys, though...

(*) It was spun out of Acorn long before I joined.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

And it will get worse under a Starmer government with the top income tax rate restored to 50% and abolition of non dom tax status and restoration of caps on bankers bonuses and a likely wealth tax too.

Even Macron's France or Meloni's Italy or Ireland might look more attractive to the wealthy as well as Switzerland and Singapore and Dubai of course (albeit Germany, Australia, Canada, NZ, Spain and most of the US are now also under centre left government).
    Yes, I am afraid Britain is completely shafted. The Tories must take a large share of the blame for this. As must the average British voter

I am now almost decided that I will leave the country as and when I can. Life is simply better elsewhere
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113
    Leon said:

I am in awe of the ideological power of the Left, who seem able to exert phenomenal power over the policy direction of this country, despite being out of power for well over a decade, while the government has become progressively more and more right wing. The biggest reason for the young to get the fuck out of Britain is Brexit, which has harmed their economic future and cut them off from opportunities in Europe and which most of them voted against - although IIRC you were all for it!
    Also, you are barely in the country so have effectively fucked off already, so I applaud your consistency.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Leon said:

I am in awe of the ideological power of the Left, who seem able to exert phenomenal power over the policy direction of this country, despite being out of power for well over a decade, while the government has become progressively more and more right wing. The biggest reason for the young to get the fuck out of Britain is Brexit, which has harmed their economic future and cut them off from opportunities in Europe and which most of them voted against - although IIRC you were all for it!
    Also, you are barely in the country so have effectively fucked off already, so I applaud your consistency.
    “progressively more and more right wing.”

Lol. I wish

Put me in total power and I would show you what an ACTUAL right wing party looks like. You would hate it, but you would also recognise it for what it is. Actually right wing, and then you’d stop bleating about the pitiful modern Tories. You’d probably pay attention first when I brought back the death penalty
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Left haven't been in power since 2010.
    From Leon's perspective, we're all to the left, comrade!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes, I am afraid Britain is completely shafted. The Tories must take a large share of the blame for this. As must the average British voter

I am now almost decided that I will leave the country as and when I can. Life is simply better elsewhere
    Many did the same in the 1970s under the Heath and Wilson/Callaghan governments where the UK had very high tax and regular strikes and high inflation similar to now. Though as mentioned the global trend in the western world at the moment is to the social democrats and centre left with a few exceptions like Sweden and Italy
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    Leon said:

Nope

The Brexit voters must take a large share of the blame for this.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    It was the optics - which hadn't been so troublesome when he was mayor of London and then foreign secretary. Unless you know something about his tax affairs that hasn't been reported.

How many British government ministers are citizens of other countries, or could successfully claim another country's citizenship at the drop of a hat, is unknown.
    It was the Capital Gains on selling his house in Islington, IIRC.

Income tax is almost completely offset in the tax treaty between the US and UK. Capital Gains in the US is much higher than here on primary residences.
  • Options

Citizens of nowhere, eh?

Ah, the American system.
    He'd have been better than a fairly recent President I can think of, but I'm not terribly convinced it's citizenship that was the main obstacle to Arnie becoming President.

He was extremely unpopular in California in the last couple of years of his period as Governor due to a combination of personal scandal and, ultimately, political failure. Nothing's impossible, but I suspect the reason he flirted with it a bit but never stood is that he didn't really see a credible route to election, leaving aside the obvious legal obstacle.

Perhaps he might look at Trump and say, "if he did it with less of an obvious qualification, perhaps I could have done it". But - and this reflects well on Arnie - Trump ultimately did it because he was willing to be a dishonest, populist monster, whereas Arnie was and is a pretty well-meaning "compassionate conservative" type who had no interest in going down that path.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Leon said:

Just as well, then, that your advice posted to this site has so often proved to be fallacious, if not ludicrous.

The mess that this country faces is, to a significant degree, down to the prejudices of and mistakes made by people like you.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Nope

The Brexit voters must take a large share of the blame for this.
    You are so utterly boring. Your mere existence is a weight on the human soul
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol. I wish

Put me in total power and I would show you what an ACTUAL right wing party looks like. You would hate it, but you would also recognise it for what it is. Actually right wing. You’d probably pay attention first when I bring back the death penalty
    For sure the government has become more right wing. First we had the coalition with the Lib Dems, then Cameron, then May and then Johnson, each has been more right wing than the previous incarnation. Of course they could be more right wing, but they've become more like UKIP and less like liberal Conservatives over time.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol. I wish

Put me in total power and I would show you what an ACTUAL right wing party looks like. You would hate it, but you would also recognise it for what it is. Actually right wing. You’d probably pay attention first when I bring back the death penalty
    For sure the government has become more right wing. First we had the coalition with the Lib Dems, then Cameron, then May and then Johnson, each has been more right wing than the previous incarnation. Of course they could be more right wing, but they've become more like UKIP and less like liberal Conservatives over time.
    You’ve got to be a fatuous cretin to think that David Cameron’s Coalition Tories, or Boris Johnson’s tax and spend Heseltinies, were a sign of “more and more right wing” government. But then, you are a fatuous cretin, so here is one rare debate on which we can call closure
This discussion has been closed.