Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson is next CON leader favourite – but only a 14% one – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Henry Dyer

13h
    👀👀💷 Newly-appointed independent adviser Laurie Magnus appears to have given £3k to Conservative MP Nick Boles in December 2017, "to support the research and writing of a book". Magnus gave the amount along with Lords John Nash (5k), Dennis Stevenson (1.5k), Stanley Fink (10k)

https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1605973482369454087

Laurie is as straight as they come.
    But Caesar's wife must be above suspicion.
    At least there can be no doubt that Sunak needs an ethics adviser, if he thinks it's okay to appoint someone who has funded a Tory MP as his ethics adviser.
    Is that really an issue? Funding an MP in any party isn't intrinsically unethical.
    There's nothing unethical about it, but it raises questions about the impartiality of the person if they are then appointed as an independent advisor, I would have thought.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Henry Dyer

13h
    👀👀💷 Newly-appointed independent adviser Laurie Magnus appears to have given £3k to Conservative MP Nick Boles in December 2017, "to support the research and writing of a book". Magnus gave the amount along with Lords John Nash (5k), Dennis Stevenson (1.5k), Stanley Fink (10k)

At least there can be no doubt that Sunak needs an ethics adviser, if he thinks it's okay to appoint someone who has funded a Tory MP as his ethics adviser.
    Is that really an issue? Funding an MP in any party isn't intrinsically unethical.
    There's nothing unethical about it, but it raises questions about the impartiality of the person if they are then appointed as an independent advisor, I would have thought.
    Yes, absolutely. It would not be hard to find people who have not donated, since most don't.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

In a break from our yearly game of Whamageddon, we did a poll. Christmas has come early for Sir Keir with Labour moving over the 50% mark.

Con: 25% (-1 from 15th Dec)
    Lab: 51% (+4)
    Lib Dem 7% (-2)
    Green 5%(-1)
    Reform UK 6% (NC)
    SNP 4% (-1)

https://twitter.com/Omnisis/status/1605975168664211458

RE Whamageddon

I got knocked out at the Nottingham Christmas Market on Tuesday. Some bastard was playing it loud enough from his stand for half of Nottingham to hear. Must have ruined a few hopes and dreams on that day :)
  • Options
    Weather-Or-Not-You-Want-It-Report

Here in Seattle, temperature on my humble porch is 30F, the warmest it's been in last couple days. Snow feel just before the cold snap, and has thus been hanging around. Travel on main road has been ok, but back streets AND sidewalks are not.

The REAL news, however, is the fact that the whole city - indeed region - just had several hours of freezing rain over night. Which froze immediate upon hitting the ground, so that everything is glazed with ice.

Zero traffic outside my apartment (which is on a busy arterial) except for plow-trucks. And occasional wailing of sirens.

Temps are slowing warming up, should hit 40F by this afternoon, with highs in the 50Fs over the weekend. But Christmas travel plans for many folks SERIOUSLY disrupted. Even if you can get to the airport, your flight has likely been cancelled.

Also a problem driving anywhere, be it across the mountains to Grandma's house in Spokane. Or a few miles out to the burbs to see how our fellow PBer Jim Miller is making out!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Henry Dyer

13h

It’s a bit of a nothing burger, this one.
    The donation was tiny and seems to be based on publication of a single book or pamphlet by a moderate MP.

I’m more annoyed he is another Eton and Oxford.
This discussion has been closed.