Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson is next CON leader favourite – but only a 14% one – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

It's like living in Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

Yesterday, I was charged with breach of the Public Order Act for my objection in #Oxford in September to the proclamation of Charles Windsor as king (the police waited 3 months before charging me). I will be in court on 31st January to plead Not Guilty.

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

https://twitter.com/SymonHill/status/1605888172470173697

I'm going to have so much fun at the coronation pointing out the hypocrisy of the adulterers.

He was trying to disrupt the proclamation of our new King, treason in a previous age. He got off lightly
  • Options

Yesterday, I was charged with breach of the Public Order Act for my objection in #Oxford in September to the proclamation of Charles Windsor as king (the police waited 3 months before charging me). I will be in court on 31st January to plead Not Guilty.

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I'm going to have so much fun at the coronation pointing out the hypocrisy of the adulterers.

Has the system not got anything more important to be dealing with, rather than jamming it up with nonsense?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,328

No sign of the Tories clawing their way back then.

I think it will not happen for them while there is so much bad news. Strikes, CoL, Ukraine etc. It may take until Labour are forced to show their hand with actual policies before people see that they don’t have all the answers either. But I think things will close up to some extent before the election.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The only thing that can save the Tories is an ENORMOUS Culture War, with the Left as the diseased Woke people who will brainwash our gallant sons and sacrifice our white daughters etc

It almost certainly won't work, and will definitely be ugly, but they will have a go. Sturgeon has just helped

Only one who could do that really is Boris.

Sunak and Hunt are far too metropolitan liberal for that.

Kemi!
    Possibly, though only Boris could really stir up the gammon anti Woke, or Farage.

Meanwhile a woman is arrested just for praying in a London street!

https://twitter.com/NileGardiner/status/1605985613227991040?s=20&t=jXDSJFf741rWW_7st0Gbbg
    That is incredible, on face value. WTAF
  • Options

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Has the system not got anything more important to be dealing with, rather than jamming it up with nonsense?
    He should use the defence he's a Just Oil protestor.

It says so much about the adulterer King Charles.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    edited December 2022

Andy_JS said:

Useless fact

I didn't know until today that Eric Stoltz was the original actor playing the protagonist in Back To The Future and that a lot of scenes were actually shot with him before it was decided to replace him with Michael J Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future#Filming_with_Stoltz

First on my Christmas film list.
    One of those films that I don't think I've ever watched all the way through in one go. I've seen bits of it dozens of times, in all sorts of weird orders. Christmas dinner or opening presents has always got in the way. Mary Poppins is another example. Anyone else with the same thing?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The only thing that can save the Tories is an ENORMOUS Culture War, with the Left as the diseased Woke people who will brainwash our gallant sons and sacrifice our white daughters etc

It almost certainly won't work, and will definitely be ugly, but they will have a go. Sturgeon has just helped

Kemi!
    Possibly, though only Boris could really stir up the gammon anti Woke, or Farage.

https://twitter.com/NileGardiner/status/1605985613227991040?s=20&t=jXDSJFf741rWW_7st0Gbbg
    Or breaching an exclusion zone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He was trying to disrupt the proclamation of our new King, treason in a previous age. He got off lightly
    Don't worry the revolution is coming.

We all know what happened to the first King Charles.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

Read on, you'll see that she's breaching an exclusion zone.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

Repeatedly, after being warned:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/isabel-vaughan-spruce-45-charged-25794626
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh dear, I fear you do actually believe this.

No one outside the loopy right gives a fuck about anything called 'Culture War' right now; the majority of voters wouldn't have a clue what the term meant.

People care about the cost of living, paying their bills, crap public services and Tory sleaze.
    Er, I said

"It almost certainly won't work"

I am well aware this is not top of the inbox for 90% voters. Times are too hard and world politics too dramatic for Trans Rights to make a serious impact on the next election

In a less stressful time then it WILL work. See the USA, already
    I'd say of my contemporaries (parents of teenagers and pre teens) it's an issue with a pretty high "I'm absolutely furious about this" factor. These are people for whom issues of wokery or culture wars won't really cross their agenda, but on the trans issue are firmly with JKR.
    Problem is, they're all lefties. JKR isn't going to vote Tory, and nor are any of my contemporaries.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It's one poll to be fair albeit a very good one for Labour and the first showing them over 50% for a while.

Conservative mid term troughs usually flatten after 36 months after the election so this should be as bad as it gets but the degree of recovery is the big question. From the disastrous mid 1995 polls the Conservative recovery was slight - on the May 1995 locals, Labour were predicted to win over 400 seats and the Conservatives 150 which wasn't far off the truth.

I'd have loved to have seen polling from mid-1973 using today's more sophisticated sampling methodology - this was a time of big Liberal by-election wins.

As a counter point, the Conservatives were regularly third in polls in 1986 but in June 1987 won a majority of 101 seats.
    Fair point about 1986/1987. I am racking my memory to try to recall what brought that change in the Tories' fortunes about but, nope, I really can't. It certainly happened though.
    Neil Kinnock becoming PM?
    And an economic boom...no chance of that now I suspect.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!
    Bless you!
  • Options

I think it will not happen for them while there is so much bad news. Strikes, CoL, Ukraine etc. It may take until Labour are forced to show their hand with actual policies before people see that they don’t have all the answers either. But I think things will close up to some extent before the election.

During my brief winter stomach flu, the other day, I spent 20 minutes over the toilet pan puking my guts up. Yuk

It was quite painful and messy - the first time I've seriously thrown up for many years. But even as I convulsed and vomited, I could feel my body saying "Yes, this is good, get rid of this, we don't want this". Before anything else happened, before I could think of recovery, whatever was inside me needed to be gone

Britain feels like that, as a body politic. Before we can do anything, we need to puke up the Tories, they have poisoned us, they are bad fungi dissolving in the stomach, ugh yuk no

Once we are purged of them, the UK might begin to repair itself (perhaps under a future Tory govt, after a period of Opposition, who knows) . But they need to go first; and they will go
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/isabel-vaughan-spruce-45-charged-25794626
    What was that about US style Culture Wars?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

His son succeeded him as King at the Restoration?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

“He who is without sin. Let him cast the first stone.”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

Badenoch combines the modesty of Boris Johnson, the common touch of Rishi Sunak, the level headedness of Truss and the pragmatism of Steve Baker.

Ah, you're worried about her.

Interesting.
    I suppose if she's one of 50 Conservative survivors after the next election no one will be worrying about her very much.
    I see @Heathener still hasn't taken me up on my offer of a bet on this.

I hope she does, as she seems so confident and I'm sure she'd be willing to back that with cash.
    The more relevant question is what happens to the Conservatives if/when they lose?

Let's be honest - they were completely ineffective in Opposition from 1997-2005. The coming of Cameron, the change from Blair to Brown and the global financial crash got them back in first contention and then office (albeit in coalition).

A lot will depend on the scale of the disaster - 250 MPs will mean a real chance of a quick return so the post-Sunak leader would likely be someone fairly senior as the next prospective Prime Minister. 150 MPs means a minimum of two terms out so skip a generation and go for someone who can rebuild. 50 MPs is existential - it's a fight for survival against the LDs, Reform and others.
    50 MPs won't happen because at the end of the day the centre-right constituency in this country is far bigger than that.

I think political support these days is a mile wide but an inch deep. The key point to note is fluidity and change.
    You're not wrong - call it volatility if you prefer.

I suspect the best hope for the Conservatives is for an uneventful 12-18 months - the best governance is often no governance (or at least nothing visible) and it's interesting to see Sunak seen much less than Truss or Johnson.

I agree 50 is very unlikely but I don't think 150 is inconceivable. This would, pace 1997, see the Party reduced to an English rural and suburban rump and the "way back" wouldn't be obvious.

I think the set of local elections in May which are barely four months away will be unpleasant for the Conservatives - less because they will lose large numbers of seats (they lost a lot last time these were contested in 2019) but because I suspect it will be a very good night for Labour (who also made a net loss in 2019 albeit much smaller).
    I think Conservative weakness will be about as enduring as Labour strength.

We are dealing with a very frustrated and volatile electorate.
    Labour were as unpopular in 2008/09 as the Conservatives are now. They won 24% in the local elections of 2008, 23% in 2009.

But they still returned 257 MPs in 2010.

I’d expect the Conservatives to clear 200 MP’s in 2024. Even now, the centre right is polling about 33-35%.

Total wipeouts only happen when a party is eclipsed by another party on its own side, like Labour replacing the Liberals.
    Depends a lot on how much Farage and RefUK decide to twist the knife; Conservatives on low to mid 30s live to fight another day, but FPTP is brutal as a nationwide party's share falls from 30 to

Talking of which;

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 51% (+4)
    CON: 25% (-1)
    LDM: 7% (-2)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (-1)
    SNP: 4% (-1)

Via @Omnisis, On 22 December,
    Changes w/ 15 December.

https://twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1605981261603909633
    Even on those numbers the Conservatives would still be the main opposition. 6% RefUK for Sunak to squeeze too
    It's a bit of a phony war at the moment, Hyufd, but if I were you there are two things that would bother me. The LDs are unlikely to poll that low at a GE and tactical voting is likely to hurt the Conservatives.

My money would be on a LabMaj, but tentatively this far out.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No one outside the loopy right gives a fuck about anything called 'Culture War' right now; the majority of voters wouldn't have a clue what the term meant.

People care about the cost of living, paying their bills, crap public services and Tory sleaze.
    Er, I said

I am well aware this is not top of the inbox for 90% voters. Times are too hard and world politics too dramatic for Trans Rights to make a serious impact on the next election

I'd say of my contemporaries (parents of teenagers and pre teens) it's an issue with a pretty high "I'm absolutely furious about this" factor. These are people for whom issues of wokery or culture wars won't really cross their agenda, but on the trans issue are firmly with JKR.
    Problem is, they're all lefties. JKR isn't going to vote Tory, and nor are any of my contemporaries.
    Respectfully, I disagree. A lot of articulate centrist women are up in arms: see the op-ed pages of, say, the Times. Someone like Janice Turner

These are women who would normally be very tempted to vote for Starmer, and to switch from the rubbish Tories. This issue could galvanise them into sticking with Sunak and Hunt as being vaguely sane on TransWoke

Not enough to save an election, as I say. Might save seats

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

And inherited with no pesky care home fees or iht to worry about, so had the capital to kick-start the transatlantic trade. A Tory fairy tale start to finish.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,930
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

And screwed up big time in all sorts of ways (including screwing tout court). Foreign policy, leaving an insecure heir who promptly restarted the Civil Wars of Britain and Ireland, spending vast sums on the Navy and then leaving the job undone, and so on and so forth. I'd be ashamed to bear his name.
  • Options
    checklist said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

And inherited with no pesky care home fees or iht to worry about, so had the capital to kick-start the transatlantic trade. A Tory fairy tale start to finish.
    Brotdher, too, tbf.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050

Labour will pay for supporting Nicola Sturgeon’s trans crusade
    As a former Labour MP, I simply cannot explain why a party that once championed women's rights has so readily adopted this anti-women stance

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/22/labour-will-pay-supporting-nicola-sturgeons-trans-crusade/

Knew it'd be old Tommy, the only red thing about him nowadays is his face.
    SKS & co will be heartbroken that a former Labour MP who advised voters to back Boris has turned against them.
    Tory Tom. I used to work beside his mother. She must be turning in her grave at his gradual movement to the right.
    One would hope she wouldn't get that upset about her child making their own political choices.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

Just checking, is this the good kind of trampling over women's hard won rights?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Well, at least you acknowledged that was a previous age and not now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

During my brief winter stomach flu, the other day, I spent 20 minutes over the toilet pan puking my guts up. Yuk

It was quite painful and messy - the first time I've seriously thrown up for many years. But even as I convulsed and vomited, I could feel my body saying "Yes, this is good, get rid of this, we don't want this". Before anything else happened, before I could think of recovery, whatever was inside me needed to be gone

Britain feels like that, as a body politic. Before we can do anything, we need to puke up the Tories, they have poisoned us, they are bad fungi dissolving in the stomach, ugh yuk no

Once we are purged of them, the UK might begin to repair itself (perhaps under a future Tory govt, after a period of Opposition, who knows) . But they need to go first; and they will go
    Yes, I’m sure you are right on this, as is Heathener.

On ghosts I am utterly fascinated, and have been all my life. I’m a massive skeptic, but I then have to confront the evidence of people like @RochdalePioneers, and things like the Battersea case and others. There is simply too much evidence that something is going on. And yet I cannot reconcile that with departed spirits.

I hope you enjoy the Uncanny pods - they are excellent, and having burned through them recently I was delighted to encounter the Christmas special today. Some of the cases are compelling - the Scottish bothy, the haunted Irish student accommodation etc. And now to be a TV series in the new year.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

Read on, you'll see that she's breaching an exclusion zone.
    Yes, I suspected there must be more to it

Still not a great look, arresting her - on appearances - for "praying in her mind"

• Options
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Even only a few centuries ago, traitors to the Crown were hung, drawn and quartered, then beheaded and their heads displayed on London Bridge.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

And screwed up big time in all sorts of ways (including screwing tout court). Foreign policy, leaving an insecure heir who promptly restarted the Civil Wars of Britain and Ireland, spending vast sums on the Navy and then leaving the job undone, and so on and so forth. I'd be ashamed to bear his name.
    Yet the system, with tweaks, survived. So I think HYUFD still wins the round when people try to use the 'look at previous Charles' thing as a motivator.
  • Options

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Kemi!

Just checking, is this the good kind of trampling over women's hard won rights?
    Yes, Kinder, Kirche, Kuche. Or something else with the same initials...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, I said

Respectfully, I disagree. A lot of articulate centrist women are up in arms: see the op-ed pages of, say, the Times. Someone like Janice Turner

These are women who would normally be very tempted to vote for Starmer, and to switch from the rubbish Tories. This issue could galvanise them into sticking with Sunak and Hunt as being vaguely sane on TransWoke

Not enough to save an election, as I say. Might save seats

Maybe calling them terfs will help.
  • Options

Leon said:

On ghosts I am utterly fascinated, and have been all my life. I’m a massive skeptic, but I then have to confront the evidence of people like @RochdalePioneers, and things like the Battersea case and others. There is simply too much evidence that something is going on. And yet I cannot reconcile that with departed spirits.

I hope you enjoy the Uncanny pods - they are excellent, and having burned through them recently I was delighted to encounter the Christmas special today. Some of the cases are compelling - the Scottish bothy, the haunted Irish student accommodation etc. And now to be a TV series in the new year.
    Was it you who recommended Danny Robbins and the Battersea Poltergeist? Thankyou so much!

Amazing. The slippers! And the levitation! I'm already on to episode 4, it is so well done. I am trying to resist bingeing the whole lot as the rest will be perfect for a long drive to Cornwall on Xmas Eve
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I respectively disagree. By all means remove him on the day to prevent a breach of the peace, but them let him go on his way.

I believe in free speech, with limits. He did nothing wrong, the police acted to prevent harm (potentially to him). That should be an end to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He was made a saint (sort of).

Plus, Charles I was probably faithful, which is unusual for kings.

Edit: Have you had a chance to read Killers of the King, or The Tyrannicide Brief yet? Good reads.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I respectively disagree. By all means remove him on the day to prevent a breach of the peace, but them let him go on his way.

I believe in free speech, with limits. He did nothing wrong, the police acted to prevent harm (potentially to him). That should be an end to it.
    Public interest test applies. Remove, sure, but a criminal sanction is not proportionate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How brief, btw?
    2 days ago I was in fine fettle.
    Yesterday I had a light cough. I came home from the neighbourhood Christmas Eve singsong (a study in Britishness by itself) at about 8, feeling mildly below par, and by 9 I was feverish, nauseous, and coughing repeatedly. Threw up massively and repeatedly overnight like I haven't done for years (lamentably, we are without a loft at the moment where the spare bedroom is, so my wife ended up sleeping on middle daughter's top bunk.) This went on until about 1 o'clock today, when it ... stopped. I feel tired and weak and still have a bit of a cough but miraculously it feels as if the worst might be well over for Christmas. I've heard of people out of action for ten days or more with this but your mention of the word 'brief' gives me hope.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Was it you who recommended Danny Robbins and the Battersea Poltergeist? Thankyou so much!

Amazing. The slippers! And the levitation! I'm already on to episode 4, it is so well done. I am trying to resist bingeing the whole lot as the rest will be perfect for a long drive to Cornwall on Xmas Eve
    Not me - been a trying day (wife in hospital, but fine) so was catching up and hours behind. I was going to mention it but someone else got there first.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's what bothers me about the next two years. Because barring a miracle, Sunak won't call an election until he absolutely has to.

This desire to puke has overcome us when we're driving along the motorway and it's some distance to the next junction, let alone service area. Oh, and the traffic is crawling for some reason.

Hanging around for two difficult years when they are already this unpopular is likely to make the final denouement worse. It was definitely a factor in '97.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He was pursuing treason and attempting to disrupt the proclamation
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    That new opinion poll is the first time Labour have been on 50%+ for a month

https://twitter.com/Omnisis/status/1605975168664211458

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Public interest test applies. Remove, sure, but a criminal sanction is not proportionate.
    It seems vindictive.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Yet the system, with tweaks, survived. So I think HYUFD still wins the round when people try to use the 'look at previous Charles' thing as a motivator.
    He also pursued religious toleration with the Declaration of Indulgence and London was rebuilt so as to avoid future Plagues and with the new St Paul's
  • Options

Leon said:

Hanging around for two difficult years when they are already this unpopular is likely to make the final denouement worse. It was definitely a factor in '97.
    Probably, but when a loss seems inevitable what's the alternative? Going slightly earlier as you might suffer less is not going to sway them, and they will always be able to hope for a black swan.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

That new opinion poll is the first time Labour have been on 50%+ for a month

https://twitter.com/Omnisis/status/1605975168664211458

Starmer only leads Sunak 34% to 29% as preferred PM though

https://twitter.com/Omnisis/status/1605975175345737730?t=-pPxIAPkcV0ZpxAgvxUCiA&s=19
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

“He who is without sin. Let him cast the first stone.”
    "Every leader whoever preached peace did so guarded by armed men".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He also pursued religious toleration with the Declaration of Indulgence and London was rebuilt so as to avoid future Plagues and with the new St Paul's
    Treason? Really. Do you honestly believe that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Badenoch combines the modesty of Boris Johnson, the common touch of Rishi Sunak, the level headedness of Truss and the pragmatism of Steve Baker.

Interesting.
    Of course - it’s not impossible for her to be PM before the next election,
    And Truss didn’t take long to wreak havoc, did she ?
    It would now appear that what she wreaked was one month of economic growth before Sunak came in and everything turned to shit.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

How brief, btw?
    Yesterday I had a light cough. I came home from the neighbourhood Christmas Eve singsong (a study in Britishness by itself) at about 8, feeling mildly below par, and by 9 I was feverish, nauseous, and coughing repeatedly. Threw up massively and repeatedly overnight like I haven't done for years (lamentably, we are without a loft at the moment where the spare bedroom is, so my wife ended up sleeping on middle daughter's top bunk.) This went on until about 1 o'clock today, when it ... stopped. I feel tired and weak and still have a bit of a cough but miraculously it feels as if the worst might be well over for Christmas. I've heard of people out of action for ten days or more with this but your mention of the word 'brief' gives me hope.
    Mate, this sounds exactly like what I had. Came on quickly. In about 6 hours I went from feeling oddly fuzzy and flushed to puking my tits off and TOTAL SQUITS. Plus aches, pains, headaches, bed bound, the works

72 hours after THAT I am perfectly fine....

I suspect it was a winter vomiting thing. They are known to be acute but brief

As usual, take lots of rest, drink lots of water, avoid piracy, etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He didn't. Military occupation of much of Scotland. Atrocities and murders. Nasty piece of work.

Andz as for rebuilding St Paul's - that's wrong historically. He didn't. Different reign.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Interesting.
    It would now appear that what she wreaked was one month of economic growth before Sunak came in and everything turned to shit.
    It was a rather instant spurt, before any policies!

More likely October catch up after the Royal funeral.
  • Options

Leon said:

It's what bothers me about the next two years. Because barring a miracle, Sunak won't call an election until he absolutely has to.

This desire to puke has overcome us when we're driving along the motorway and it's some distance to the next junction, let alone service area. Oh, and the traffic is crawling for some reason.

I don't think an election in 1995 woyld have been any worse than in 1997, to be honest.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    I have just posted news of my promotion on LinkedIn and am taking notes of all my connections who don’t even give me a “like”. I will find them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Probably, but when a loss seems inevitable what's the alternative? Going slightly earlier as you might suffer less is not going to sway them, and they will always be able to hope for a black swan.
    There isn't really an alternative but to keep buggering on and hope that something turns up. It's the sort of dark punishment that Roald Dhal might have written about if he had ever done a political story.

Almost makes me wish Bozza was still PM, pressing the popularity buttons and finding they don't work...
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

The point is that the system did not survive, because he screwed up the succession completely and left a huge mess. They had to tear it up, and get a foreign invasion to start again.

Most important role of a king in those days.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I have just posted news of my promotion on LinkedIn and am taking notes of all my connections who don’t even give me a “like”. I will find them.

Oh, have you been promoted to a sealion, or even a walrus? Congrats if so.
  • Options

Leon said:

I entirely agree. I wish the Tories would eff off now. They need to lose (much as I despise Labour), they need to rethink what they are for, and Britain needs a break from their inner neuroses. And Labour might just have some fresh ideas. I'm not hopeful, but who knows

These last two years will feel like the last two seasons of House or Mad Men: contrived, wanky, pointless, exhausted, enough
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

The point is that the system did not survive, because he screwed up the succession completely and left a huge mess. They had to tear it up, and get a foreign invasion to start again.

Which just made his niece Queen, he having no legitimate heir.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Interesting.
    Getting all confuised with Leon's little episode now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

You must be reading different books from my history master - who was very good. In the ones I read, Charles II left James VII and II as a heir.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

You must be reading different books from my history master - who was very good. In the ones I read, Charles II left James VII and II as a heir.
    And he was, you Scots were very loyal to him, see the Jacobite rebellions.

Though even George Ists mother had the same grandfather as Charles II ie James Ist of England and VIth of Scotland
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Senior Walrus
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Though even George Ists mother had the same grandfather as Charles II ie James Ist of England and VIth of Scotland
    Doesn't make Anne the heir of Charles II. Moving the goalpostds again.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

You might enjoy this twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/StateOfLinkedIn/status/1600152621938900992?t=X5UTg4wTWPjllwuonI7kZg&s=19
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I didn't say it was a minor tweak (indeed, it was self described, accurately, as a revolutionary one). I deliberately included the word because, yes, the system as was did not survive.

However, HYUFD's basic point seemed to be that after Charles I we got a king again (albeit not right away de facto at least), and after Charles II/James II that was still true too. Those gleefully hoping for revolution against Charles III, by contrast, probably don't want him to be following by a king.

Therefore, if we get revolution against Charles III that ends with us still having a monarchy, HYUFD wins in the comparison stakes, even if it is a completely different kind of monarchy.

Edit: Yes, he moves goalposts more than a compulsive groundsman, but the initial jibe was about knowing what happened to Charles I, and whatever else happened, and there was a lot, in the end after several decades we got something that looks pretty similar (even though the power is very different).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He didn't. Military occupation of much of Scotland. Atrocities and murders. Nasty piece of work.

Andz as for rebuilding St Paul's - that's wrong historically. He didn't. Different reign.
    Charles II assigned Wren to rebuild St Paul's in 1669 and construction began in 1675 when he was still King
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Senior Walrus
    Ah, thank you. This, then.

https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Pontolis-magnus
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Doesn't make Anne the heir of Charles II. Moving the goalpostds again.
    Mary you mean ie William and Mary. Anne came after
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

How brief, btw?
    Yesterday I had a light cough. I came home from the neighbourhood Christmas Eve singsong (a study in Britishness by itself) at about 8, feeling mildly below par, and by 9 I was feverish, nauseous, and coughing repeatedly. Threw up massively and repeatedly overnight like I haven't done for years (lamentably, we are without a loft at the moment where the spare bedroom is, so my wife ended up sleeping on middle daughter's top bunk.) This went on until about 1 o'clock today, when it ... stopped. I feel tired and weak

and still have a bit of a cough but miraculously it

feels as if the worst might be well over for

Christmas. I've heard of people out of action for

ten days or more with this but your mention of the

word 'brief' gives me hope.
    That sounds like norovirus to me. I’ve had it three times - you feel like you are dying for 12-15 hours. Then it’s gone. And once you have eaten again soon feels like you have never had it. Don’t go near anyone else as it’s insanely contagious.

Horrible, horrible experience. Glad you and @Leon have recovered.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I don't think he was VII, the crowns having merged by then.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I don't think an election in 1995 woyld have been any worse than in 1997, to be honest.
    It sounds like you've got this (I am pretty sure this is what I had)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/norovirus/

Good news:

"It can be very unpleasant, but usually goes away in about 2 days."

Which is exactly what happened to me. Really not nice, but gone quickly. There is quite a lot of it about

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/20801022/norovirus-increase-warning/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

I didn't say it was a minor tweak (indeed, it was self described, accurately, as a revolutionary one). I deliberately included the word because, yes, the system as was did not survive.

However, HYUFD's basic point seemed to be that after Charles I we got a king again (albeit not right away de factor at least), and after Charles II/James II that was still true too. Those gleefully hoping for revolution against Charles III, by contrast, probably don't want him to be following by a king.

Therefore, if we get revolution against Charles III that ends with us still having a monarchy, HYUFD wins in the comparison stakes, even if it is a completely different kind of monarchy.
    Hmm, given that HYUFD's favourite Divine Right got flushed down the toilet permanently, and the MPs became top dogs, I think 'a few tweaks' is rather understating it. At least James VI could understand English.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

How brief, btw?

Mate, this sounds exactly like what I had. Came on quickly. In about 6 hours I went from feeling oddly fuzzy and flushed to puking my tits off and TOTAL SQUITS. Plus aches, pains, headaches, bed bound, the works

72 hours after THAT I am perfectly fine....

I suspect it was a winter vomiting thing. They are known to be acute but brief

As usual, take lots of rest, drink lots of water, avoid piracy, etc
    Sounds like norovirus. I had that once, 24 hours before I was due at a job interview 100 miles away. I was up all night, as you describe, felt OK by 10 next morning, and drove over, hoping my sob story and devotion to attending would impress the panel. They were suitably sympathetic, but not quite enough to give me the job...

But if it's that, then it does clear properly after a day. Leon's advice sounds exactly right.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Good news:

Which is exactly what happened to me. Really not nice, but gone quickly. There is quite a lot of it about

Non sequitur or incredibly clever 🤔
  • Options
    Before he thinks I'm taking his side on this civil war era stuff I still haven't forgotten the claim that the Rump was basically the same as full Parliament taking action, even though that would be like claiming Trump could exclude all non Democrats from Congress and the decisions of the Congress would be no different than before the exclusion.
  • Options
    checklist said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He certainly was VII. The kingdom's hadn't. Standard terminology.
  • Options
    I doubt that there's any chance of it ever happening, but I'd quite like Julian Smith to be in the running for Tory leader
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

However, HYUFD's basic point seemed to be that after Charles I we got a king again (albeit not right away de factor at least), and after Charles II/James II that was still true too. Those gleefully hoping for revolution against Charles III, by contrast, probably don't want him to be following by a king.

Hmm, given that HYUFD's favourite Divine Right got flushed down the toilet permanently, and the MPs became top dogs, I think 'a few tweaks' is rather understating it. At least James VI could understand English.

It's not like people really believed in Divine Right even before that period - whatever they might have claimed it never prevented people rebelling against or ousting and killing kings they didn't like. Heck, it didn't stop people fighting against the Pope even. I'm not sure anyone but Charles I and Louis XIV ever really believed it.

Another reason any claim of it today would be laughable, if even a medieval Baron would have given it short shrift.
  • Options
    checklist said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He was. The crowns had merged but the parliaments hadn’t so still two separate states. See -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/2009/page/1/data.pdf
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Good news:

Which is exactly what happened to me. Really not

nice, but gone quickly. There is quite a lot of it about

One thing I learned belatedly on my third bout was that the vomit itself carries the bug. It’s a horrible topic but worth knowing about for those with families. You have to be VERY careful.

• Options
    ….
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Good news:

One thing I learned belatedly on my third bout was that the vomit itself carries the bug. It’s a horrible topic but worth knowing about for those with families. You have to be VERY careful.

That's good to know

It actually FEELS infectious. Like you should hide away, as a leper. Which is what I did. Not that I exactly wanted to go clubbing...

Happily, the recovery is as remarkable in its expediency as the onset

RIGHT: on to the next spooky podcast
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Er, I said

Fair enough, my mistake.

I misunderstood "The only thing that can save the Tories is an ENORMOUS Culture War" as implying that you think an ENORMOUS Culture War can save the Tories. ;-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

It's not like people really believed in Divine Right even before that period - whatever they might have claimed it never prevented people rebelling against or ousting and killing kings they didn't like. Heck, it didn't stop people fighting against the Pope even. I'm not sure anyone but Charles I and Louis XIV ever really believed it.

Another reason any claim of it today would be laughable, if even a medieval Baron would have given it short shrift.
    James 6/1 wrote, literally, the book about it.

"The state of monarchy is the supremest thing upon earth; for kings are not only God's lieutenants upon earth, and sit upon God's throne, but even by God himself are called gods." Etc etc.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Sunak and Hunt are far too elite metropolitan liberal for that.

Johnson is the biggest metropolitan elite liberal out there. He barely knows Britain outside London exists, which is why he threw Northern Ireland under the bus.

He's also a complete pseud who cons people into thinking otherwise if they don't bother to engage their critical faculties.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Good news:

That's good to know

It actually FEELS infectious. Like you should hide

away, as a leper. Which is what I did. Not that I exactly wanted to go clubbing...

Happily, the recovery is as remarkable in its expediency as the onset

RIGHT: on to the next spooky podcast
    It really is extraordinary how quickly it comes on then goes. A bizarre bug.

Enjoy the ghosts. I ‘liked’ your reply earlier re: ghosts vs trans. Fair point.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It's one poll to be fair albeit a very good one for Labour and the first showing them over 50% for a while.

Conservative mid term troughs usually flatten after 36 months after the election so this should be as bad as it gets but the degree of recovery is the big question. From the disastrous mid 1995 polls the Conservative recovery was slight - on the May 1995 locals, Labour were predicted to win over 400 seats and the Conservatives 150 which wasn't far off the truth.

I'd have loved to have seen polling from mid-1973 using today's more sophisticated sampling methodology - this was a time of big Liberal by-election wins.

As a counter point, the Conservatives were regularly third in polls in 1986 but in June 1987 won a majority of 101 seats.
    Fair point about 1986/1987. I am racking my memory to try to recall what brought that change in the Tories' fortunes about but, nope, I really can't. It certainly happened though.
    Indeed. It's all coming painfully back to me now.

So here's the question, how does Starmer fare compared with Kinnock?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Better, like Blair swing voters aren't desperate to keep him out of No 10 as they were for Kinnock, Corbyn, Foot and Ed Miliband
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Johnson is the biggest metropolitan elite liberal out there. He barely knows Britain outside London exists, which is why he threw Northern Ireland under the bus.

He's also a complete pseud who cons people into thinking otherwise if they don't bother to engage their critical faculties.
    I’m not sure what else he could do re NI. Squaring both Brexit and the GFA were essentially impossible if we left the single market. If we didn’t leave the single market, the Brexit were would have revolted.
    So here we are… Both sides have use NI as a weapon, but ironically for traders in NI it’s the best of both worlds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Kinnock is a better speaker
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

checklist said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

He was. The crowns had merged but the parliaments hadn’t so still two separate states. See -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/2009/page/1/data.pdf
    To be exact, there was a personal Union of the crowns, but not a merger of them until 1707.
  • Options
    Just watched the Wagatha dramatisation on C4 (Vardy v Rooney: A Courtroom Drama). Quite enjoyed it - great performances from Natalia Tena and Chanel Cresswell.

One interesting aspect was the number of potential witnesses who did not take the stand. Am I right in thinking no one can be compelled to stand as a witness?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Only in the sense he was London based as Trump was New York City based.

Culturally however his values like Trump's are now totally those of the white working classes.

Sunak and Hunt however are still culturally liberal West London, posh Home counties
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I’m not sure what else he could do re NI. Squaring both Brexit and the GFA were essentially impossible if we left the single market. If we didn’t leave the single market, the Brexit were would have revolted.
    So here we are… Both sides have use NI as a weapon, but ironically for traders in NI it’s the best of both worlds.
    May's deal came far closer to squaring the circle than his did.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

May's deal came far closer to squaring the circle than his did.
    I think we’d all be better off if that had passed. I think the Attorney General ruling that there was no unilateral exit for the U.K. killed it though. A great shame.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,241
    DougSeal said:

Linkedin recently invited me to celebrate the work anniversary of a former colleague who had passed away last year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Only in the sense he was London based as Trump was New York City based.

Culturally however his values like Trump's are now totally those of the white working classes.

Sunak and Hunt however are still culturally liberal West London, posh Home counties
    Wow.

The expression "useful idiot" is inadmissible in polite discourse, but there's times one wishes for an acceptable substitute.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

#DefendDissent

#NotMyKing

Even only a few centuries ago, traitors to the Crown were hung, drawn and quartered, then beheaded and their heads displayed on London Bridge.
    Such namby-pamby punishments are too light for them.
This discussion has been closed.