Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak vs. Starmer – the polling trend – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727
    Corker!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Another!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited November 2022
    2-0.

Wales played pretty well in the first half.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    And again.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    You wait 140 minutes for a goal and two turn up.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    "Marcus Rashford. MBE"

Shane Warne used to go up to Paul Collingwood and say "Paul Collingwood. MBE" when he came out to bat in the 06-07 Ashes.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    This is disappointing. I was hoping to have some epic trolling opportunities.
  • Calm down, it's only Wales.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    Ha ha! Kieffer Moore!
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bale off, forgot he was on to be honest.

Hun fan tonite David?
    Fairly neutral to be honest.
    Isn’t fairly neutral like being a bit pregnant?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    No dancing in the streets of TNS this evening.
    That 14-1 isn't looking like particularly good value.
  • West Britain will get its revenge, when the druids return.
    tlg86 said:

You think Wales won't score at all?
    edited November 2022

West Britain will get its revenge, when the druids return.

They'll all Moan A-bout that.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

A Conservative/SNP alliance?

Why would they deal with a bunch of small-minded xenophobes obsessed with one issue that was officially out to bed for good ages ago and are clapped out by a long time in office?

Which party I am talking about there I leave to your imagination...

I know, I know - I've been pilloried repeatedly for even daring to suggest such an idea as it seems the ultimate heresy but as the song goes, I can't get it out of my head.

I've often said the status quo suits both the Conservatives and SNP quite well - would Sturgeon find it as easy to demonise a Labour Government in Westminster as she can a Conservative Government?
    No.

Would she retain her leadership for five minutes or the SNP a single seat at the following election if they propped up the Tories?

Also no.

This would suit the SNP (and her) even less well.

The minor detail that the SNP are very like the Tories in many crucial respects makes it all the more important to keep a healthy distance from them.
    Yes, you're right of course but what price would the Conservatives be willing to pay to remain in power if joining forces with the SNP would provide a working majority?

What price would Labour be willing to pay to take power if joining forces with the SNP would provide a working majority?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Bale off, forgot he was on to be honest.

Hun fan tonite David?
    Fairly neutral to be honest.
    Isn’t fairly neutral like being a bit pregnant?
    Nope. Wales have done really well to get there. I wish Scotland had. I have nothing against them at all.
  • Under the leadership of billionaire Elon Musk, social media platform Twitter has abandoned its efforts to prevent the spread of dangerous COVID-19 misinformation on its platform, dismaying experts who say false and misleading health information can harm individuals and put lives at risk.

"Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy," the company noted in various places on its website.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/11/musks-twitter-abandons-covid-misinfo-policy-shirking-huge-responsibility/
    England are odd. It’s like they get bored, then wake up and do something excellent and then switch off again. Weird.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Not sure at first glance if that was a great save or Pickford making it more difficult than it should have been.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited November 2022
    tlg86 said:

Excellent value loser.

Ahem.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

The fictitious ones from pre Roman Britain, or the fake 1970’s version?
  • Phew, I can have my Saturday date night now with no hassle now.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited November 2022

The ones from the 1970s who take a lot of LSD, and use it to forecast the future.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Fine. But let's chill now and not score a ton of goals. Save them for the knockout phase.
  • Wilson Phillips on for England.

Phew, I can have my Saturday date night now with no hassle now.

You're missing France v Argentina for date night?
  • tlg86 said:

Phew, I can have my Saturday date night now with no hassle now.

You're missing France v Argentina for date night?
    Looks like it.
    Jonathan said:

England are odd. It’s like they get bored, then wake up and do something excellent and then switch off again. Weird.

Tournament football. No point playing three stunning games in the group, only to go out in the round of 16.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

The ones from the 1970s who take a lot of LSD, and use it to forecast the future.
    Actually, the way the C of E is going versus the Wiccans and Pagans, it will be only a few decades before the positions are reversed. The trend is your guide.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Jonathan said:

I'm like that myself.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Horrific tackle from the Welsh.
    Jonathan said:

It's because they're a very good team with gears.
    Are you Scotland in disguise?

Cookie said:

The West Saxons struggling.

You've lost me there.
    Stuart reminds me of some of the Manchester City supporting children I knew at school whose loathing for Manchester United was such they couldn't even bring themselves to use the term "Manchester United" and referred to them as Trafford Rangers or some such.
    English premiership:

2. man c
    ….
    5. Trafford Rangers
    Don't you mean Sevco Trafford?

Very quietly, in your case?😀
    Jonathan said:

Given the temperatures, I expect they've done a lot of thinking about conserving energy.
  • West Britain will get its revenge, when the druids return.

Very quietly, in your case?😀
    Yes, although hallucinogen consumption was not excessive ;.)
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

Why would they deal with a bunch of small-minded xenophobes obsessed with one issue that was officially out to bed for good ages ago and are clapped out by a long time in office?

I know, I know - I've been pilloried repeatedly for even daring to suggest such an idea as it seems the ultimate heresy but as the song goes, I can't get it out of my head.

I've often said the status quo suits both the Conservatives and SNP quite well - would Sturgeon find it as easy to demonise a Labour Government in Westminster as she can a Conservative Government?
    No.

Would she retain her leadership for five minutes or the SNP a single seat at the following election if they propped up the Tories?

Also no.

The minor detail that the SNP are very like the Tories in many crucial respects makes it all the more important to keep a healthy distance from them.
    Yes, you're right of course but what price would the Conservatives be willing to pay to remain in power if joining forces with the SNP would provide a working majority?

What price would Labour be willing to pay to take power if joining forces with the SNP would provide a working majority?
    There is no price the Conservatives could offer that the SNP could afford. Not even an instant referendum, as their credibility would be so shattered who would believe their prospectus for independence (which wasn't notable for credibility to start with)?

It would be the Liberal Democrats on crack, it really would.

Starmer also therefore has the advantage that he can ask the SNP, very sweetly, if they are happy with a Tory Government and if not, why are they not voting to turf it out and put him in?

I must be one of the few, with two grandparents from England, one apparently and originally celtic, and one continental european, who would prefer a British football team.

Not too popular a view in Scotland and Wales, I know.

Don't you mean GB? Ireland has sort of been left hanging.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

Wilson Phillips on for England.

Can they Hold On to that lead?

<
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

Under the leadership of billionaire Elon Musk, social media platform Twitter has abandoned its efforts to prevent the spread of dangerous COVID-19 misinformation on its platform, dismaying experts who say false and misleading health information can harm individuals and put lives at risk.

"Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy," the company noted in various places on its website.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/11/musks-twitter-abandons-covid-misinfo-policy-shirking-huge-responsibility/

Good for the Democrats. Creates a bit more natural selection in the American electorate.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

I seem to remember that in the Major years the SNP voted with them on some significant issue on the promise to return the favour. But didn't get it in writing (as it were) so the Conservatives just LOL'd afterwards.

Great politician, that Salmond bloke. Lovely warm wandering hands too it seems.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    Three !!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    3-0.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318
    Rashford makes it 3 :smile:
    Keeper has to do better there, surely.
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Also no.

There is no price the Conservatives could offer that the SNP could afford. Not even an instant referendum, as their credibility would be so shattered who would believe their prospectus for independence (which wasn't notable for credibility to start with)?

Starmer also therefore has the advantage that he can ask the SNP, very sweetly, if they are happy with a Tory Government and if not, why are they not voting to turf it out and put him in?
    OTOH Mr Starmer is rapidly becoming a sort of sensible boring Tory government, wearing more UJs than Mr Murray I and going on and on about preserving the heritage of Brexit. So ...
    England don’t play like England any more.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Also no.

OTOH Mr Starmer is rapidly becoming a sort of sensible boring Tory government, wearing more UJs than Mr Murray I and going on and on about preserving the heritage of Brexit. So ...
    So he has all the advantages of the Tories from the SNP point of view without the major drawback of actually being one?
    I am really delighted to see Rashford playing like this again. I thought that twat Rangnick had actually ended his career with his incompetence. In a strong field surely one of the most bizarre appointments by a major club.
    Not impossible that Rashford gets the golden boot. Level with Mbappe now on three.

Jonathan said:

Tournament football. No point playing three stunning games in the group, only to go out in the round of 16.
    Exactly. We have a certain amount of good stuff in us and need to use it efficiently. Otherwise it's like piling up the votes in your safe seats.

3 goals now and that is enough. I do NOT want to see more in this match.
    edited November 2022
    Well done to Rashford.

Also a model citizen in terms of his foodbank and schools meals efforts , too.
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly. We have a certain amount of good stuff in us and need to use it efficiently. Otherwise it's like piling up the votes in your safe seats.

The important thing now is the clean sheet.
  • DavidL said:

I am really delighted to see Rashford playing like this again. I thought that twat Rangnick had actually ended his career with his incompetence. In a strong field surely one of the most bizarre appointments by a major club.

Marcus Rashford now has as many World Cup goals as Johan Cruyff

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1597689483713036290
    Driver said:

Keeper has to do better there, surely.

For the second time. Rashford will be buying him a couple of pints.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

You've lost me there.
    Stuart reminds me of some of the Manchester City supporting children I knew at school whose loathing for Manchester United was such they couldn't even bring themselves to use the term "Manchester United" and referred to them as Trafford Rangers or some such.
    A friend of mine won't say the word that begins Tot and ends ham.
    In the excellent series Elementary (modern day Sherlock Holmes in New York), when he meets Sebastian Moran, he discovers that he is an Arsenal supporter. Which noticeably deepens his loathing. Mass murdering contract killer is one thing, but....
    Random observation. For a pitch in Qatar, it’s going a good job of looking an English League 1 pitch in February. Too much water?

tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

You've lost me there.
    In the excellent series Elementary (modern day Sherlock Holmes in New York), when he meets Sebastian Moran, he discovers that he is an Arsenal supporter. Which noticeably deepens his loathing. Mass murdering contract killer is one thing, but....
    I thought that started really well in series one but, like a lot of American TV, ran out of steam.
    Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. Conceding would be bad news. Really hope we don't.
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

You on 3-0 or something?😀
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Wales have been awful. Surely better to have least given it a go?
    Also ITV must never be allowed to show England WC or Euro games again.
    Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Not sure it really matters either way. Wouldn't mind one of the fringe players getting on the scoresheet.
  • Also ITV must never be allowed to show England WC or Euro games again.

Bad news, they are showing England v Senegal on Sunday.

Doomed. At best they’ll squeak through on pens.

Bad news. I’m afraid they’ll have the match against Senegal on Sunday.

Have we ever lost to an African nation at a World Cup?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    In its coverage of the us/Iran match, the Washington Post is showing, in a rotating set of photos, a woman who looks Iranian. She is wearing a traditional head covering -- in an American flag theme, red, white, and blue, with stars and stripes visible.

I wasn't expecting to see that combination.
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/29/usa-iran-world-cup/

ITV has first pick of the second round games, BBC the first pick in the quarters and semis.

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

You on 3-0 or something?😀
    It was my prediction offblog but offblog doesn't count 🙂

Came mighty close in 1990. But not yet.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

You've lost me there.
    Elementary is an underrated show. I hope it will attract the millions of John Major fans who have now discovered Johnny Lee Miller.
    Sorry, just can’t stop laughing at Kieffer Moore.
  • DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited November 2022
    Historian and bestselling author Timothy Snyder says "Russia wins by losing". "Oxford?" I thought. And a quick check revealed - yep, Oxford. Apparently winning means having people like him visit. That's seriously what he says, without any obvious trace of embarrassment. The white man's burden must be so heavy.

Bad news. I’m afraid they’ll have the match against Senegal on Sunday.
    Tempted to put a few quid on Senegal if its ITV.

Came mighty close in 1990. But not yet.
    I was watching that game in a bar in Magaluf.

Don’t think so. The Cameroon quarter final in 1990 was pretty close though.
    mwadams said:

tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

You've lost me there.
    Elementary is an underrated show. I hope it will attract the millions of John Major fans who have now discovered Johnny Lee Miller.
    I thought it was great. Vastly better than Sherlock, and plenty of episodes to tell a narrative arc.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think it works like that.
    No amount of storing up excess goals on BBC matches is going to make them flow on ITV.
    edited November 2022
    ITV is like a wellspring of kitsch commentary and mundanity. It's bound to produce a match equivalent in tone to Alan Partridge.
    Stones. Woops.
    I'd rather have England v Senegal on ITV and a potential England v France on BBC than vice versa...
    Driver said:

I'd rather have England v Senegal on ITV and a potential England v France on BBC than vice versa...

True, if we get there…
    9 added minutes for Iran to score.
    Tom Jones. Shirley Bassey. Neil Kinnock. Your boys took a hellll of a beating.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited November 2022
    Shirley Bassey, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Sheen, Alex Jones, Sir Tom Jones, Cerys Matthews, John Cale, Neil Kinnock, Charlotte Church, Bonnie Tyler, The Manic Street Preachers, and David Lloyd George can you hear me? your boys took one hell of a beating.
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Also no.

So he has all the advantages of the Tories from the SNP point of view without the major drawback of actually being one?
    I think that's a bit too, erm, quixotic even from you.

The real, underlying problem is not north of the border.

It's the fact that under most - though not all - scenarios Labour dependence on the SNP would imply a situation where, in England or more so E&W, they'd be outnumbered by the Tories (a few LDs and others aside). I can't see how that is workable under EVEL or the SNP's much longer-standing doctrine of doing the same years before the Tories instituted it. It's going to be an absolute horror show with a de factor E or E&W parliament under a UK government of a different colour. But that's normal for the rest of the UK anyway. Just that the English aren't used to it.
    So, while there was nothing interesting happening in the world, I checked my power usage for the last two months.

Gas - down by 60% on last year this month, 95% for October.
    Electricity - down by 55% for this month, 50% last month.

This is despite the fact I am now based at home five days a week, although the fact I had to spend a week elsewhere may have massaged the figures a bit.

The real key is that this must have been the mildest autumn ever. It's been more like a spring.

There is a certain grim irony that Russia, one of the worst polluters in the world, may be about to face a financial Armageddon and fail in its aim of hydrocarbon blackmail due to global warming.
    Scotland. 😀
    edited November 2022

Shirley Bassey, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Sheen, Alex Jones, Sir Tom Jones, Cerys Matthews, John Cale, Neil Kinnock, Charlotte Church, Bonnie Tyler, The Manic Street Preachers, and David Lloyd George can you hear me? your boys took one hell of a beating.

Don't forget Elvis Presley. He has a very welsh look and his name is from the Presseli Hills ( this is actually true ).
    ydoethur said:

So, while there was nothing interesting happening in the world, I checked my power usage for the last two months.

This is despite the fact I am now based at home five days a week, although the fact I had to spend a week elsewhere may have massaged the figures a bit.

The real key is that this must have been the mildest autumn ever. It's been more like a spring.

There is a certain grim irony that Russia, one of the worst polluters in the world, may be about to face a financial Armageddon and fail in its aim of hydrocarbon blackmail due to global warming.

I take it you weren't standing at a bus stop in Northumberland at 7:30 this morning?
    It was brassick.
    edited November 2022
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Also no.

I think that's a bit too, erm, quixotic even from you.

The real, underlying problem is not north of the border.

It's the fact that under most - though not all - scenarios Labour dependence on the SNP would imply a situation where, in England or more so E&W, they'd be outnumbered by the Tories (a few LDs and others aside). I can't see how that is workable under EVEL or the SNP's much longer-standing doctrine of doing the same years before the Tories instituted it. It's going to be an absolute horror show with a de factor E or E&W parliament under a UK government of a different colour. But that's normal for the rest of the UK anyway. Just that the English aren't used to it.
    It's happened many times, just not recently. It happened in 1974, 1964 and 1950, for example.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

You missed out Mark Drakeford your boys took one hell of a beating.

Hats off to Gareth, Rishi and the boys.
    Driver said:

ITV has first pick of the second round games, BBC the first pick in the quarters and semis.
    No, ITV have first pick of quarters as well. England won’t be on the BBC again unless they make the semi finals.
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

I take it you weren't standing at a bus stop in Northumberland at 7:30 this morning?
    It was brassick.
    That's next week (well, Cannock not Northumberland) when I'm doing jury service at Stafford Crown Court.

It has been colder in the last few days, but we haven't had a single frost here yet. And as there won't be one tonight, that means no frost in October or November, which is utterly unheard of for this area (which is cold and exposed on a major hillside).
    tlg86 said:

Driver said:

No, ITV have first pick of quarters as well. England won’t be on the BBC again unless they make the semi finals.
    Do you have to a trustworthy source for that? The best I could find is https://www.totalsportal.com/football/worldcup/2022-bbc-itv-tv-schedule/

How could you possibly have missed me out? :smile:
This discussion has been closed.