Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hunt’s budget has almost no impact on the general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

The current iteration of the Tory Party needs to FOAD.

You voted for Sunak, did you not?
    As the least worst option, your candidate fucked up the economy for a generation, and will keep the party out for a similar generation.

Truss supporters, like Brexit supporters, really should reflect on the unflushable turds they've given the country.
    No, the economic turds were built up by your mate the Chancellor from 2020 to 2022 and his predecessors over the 10 years before that. The fact that with one quick squeeze of his bowels his successor finally blocked the toilet for 3 weeks this Autumn is neither here nor there.

Truss and Kwarteng enacted virtually no measures of lasting effect apart from the NI reduction, which is just about the only thing of their legacy to survive after today. What they did do though was to remove the rose tinted spectacles from the markets' eyes, so that they're finally taking a more critical look and recognising the UK economy as the basket case it's become over the long term.
    The UK economy has been a Ponzi scheme for 20 years. Relying on ever greater amounts of immigration (which led to perpetually high property prices) and fat taxes from the City. This was completely unsustainable because

1. All that immigration has deeply unpleasant or radical or contradictory consequences. Brexit was just one of them

2. High property prices are just another way to fuck the young, who then consider voting Corbyn, SNP, etc

3. The taxes from the City took a big hit from the GFC and yada yada yada

And now the markets have realised this and Ouch

We will no doubt survive, and eventually find a new economic model. But the pain of the necessary reset is going to be intense
    Immigration isn't a Ponzi scheme, it's simply a natural consequence of different demographics and different economic situations in different parts of the world and the technology existing to make migration relatively cheap. It has always been like this - we act like it's a new thing because the phenomenon of other people coming to the UK is relatively recent (not that recent of course, large scale immigration started soon after ww2, more than 70 years ago) but we were exporting large numbers of people to the rest of the world from the 17th century onwards. When Britons emigrated to the Americas or Australia or Africa was that a Ponzi scheme?
    Arguably the entire human civilisation, which is devouring the world's resources at an unsustainable pace, is a Ponzi scheme, but there's nothing especially unsustainable about post war immigration patterns in the UK. People might not like it, of course, that's an entirely different question.
    Total bollocks

Immigration into the UK in recent decades has been completely unprecedented in scale and proportion

1 in 6 people in the UK is now foreign born. This has consequences. And one of them was Brexit. It’s not why I voted for it, but many did. As Remainers keep reminding us. And yet it was the Remainers that opened the borders
    Here's a list of foreign born people I know.

My wife's parents (father worked for decades as a doctor in the NHS)
    My wife's brothers (both doctors, one a GP in a poor part of Leeds, the other looks after sick newborns)
    My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    My boss (started a multi billion dollar hedge fund, employs a lot of people in the UK, is a major philanthropist)
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of the parents I know from school
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

Meanwhile, I have lived abroad in two different countries for eight years altogether.

I just don't see what the problem is with people moving about. It's the world we live in. If we didn't want people moving here we shouldn't have colonised half the world, taught them all English and invented the jet engine.
    So you would put no control at all on immigration? Which is where we were inside the EU, in effect

If you do that, all that happens is you get governments which are further and further to the right, as the locals get evermore desperate

You’re smart enough to know this is stupid and counterproductive. Brexit happened because we had vast amounts of immigration

Ergo, you have to control it. Then it’s just a question of how and at what level
    I agree it can't be a free for all, no country would do that. And I accept that while I would personally have limits in order to prevent a race to the bottom in low skilled wages, we'd probably have to have even more restrictions than I personally favour as I'm fully aware that I'm more liberal on these things than most people are.
    I thought EU freedom of movement was good because it struck a decent balance between freedom and limits, most notably in restricting it to countries with broadly similar levels of income and culture, and it was completely reciprocal. Obviously lots of people felt differently.
    I still think that fundamentally migration is a natural part of human existence and that this obsession with borders and nationhood is a bit of a dead end. I hope that one day in the distant future we will live in a world without borders. Again, I'm aware that this is a minority view.
    So your comments were just worthless virtue-signalling. Thought so
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127
    edited November 2022

RobD said:

Screwing younger voters once more, this is the kind of crap the GOP would come out with.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-id-list-gives-few-options-for-younger-voters/

Required for 60+
    Details from your valid, machine-readable passport or your valid UK driving licence (full or provisional)
    A colour image of your valid, machine-readable passport. This must be in .png or .jpg format and be less than 6MB. The image must show your photo, personal details and passport number

Is that required for Oyster 18+?
    Such nuance is beyond the twitter character limit.
    Read the ERS link I posted, there's more options for older voters than there is for younger voters, do you think that's acceptable?
    There are more constraints too, as is pointed out above.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    The point is that there is no need for voter ID, it will just increase the number of likely Labour voters who get denied a vote on the day.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063
    EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

As the least worst option, your candidate fucked up the economy for a generation, and will keep the party out for a similar generation.

Truss supporters, like Brexit supporters, really should reflect on the unflushable turds they've given the country.
    No, the economic turds were built up by your mate the Chancellor from 2020 to 2022 and his predecessors over the 10 years before that. The fact that with one quick squeeze of his bowels his successor finally blocked the toilet for 3 weeks this Autumn is neither here nor there.

Truss and Kwarteng enacted virtually no measures of lasting effect apart from the NI reduction, which is just about the only thing of their legacy to survive after today. What they did do though was to remove the rose tinted spectacles from the markets' eyes, so that they're finally taking a more critical look and recognising the UK economy as the basket case it's become over the long term.
    The UK economy has been a Ponzi scheme for 20 years. Relying on ever greater amounts of immigration (which led to perpetually high property prices) and fat taxes from the City. This was completely unsustainable because

1. All that immigration has deeply unpleasant or radical or contradictory consequences. Brexit was just one of them

2. High property prices are just another way to fuck the young, who then consider voting Corbyn, SNP, etc

We will no doubt survive, and eventually find a new economic model. But the pain of the necessary reset is going to be intense
    Immigration isn't a Ponzi scheme, it's simply a natural consequence of different demographics and different economic situations in different parts of the world and the technology existing to make migration relatively cheap. It has always been like this - we act like it's a new thing because the phenomenon of other people coming to the UK is relatively recent (not that recent of course, large scale immigration started soon after ww2, more than 70 years ago) but we were exporting large numbers of people to the rest of the world from the 17th century onwards. When Britons emigrated to the Americas or Australia or Africa was that a Ponzi scheme?
    Arguably the entire human civilisation, which is devouring the world's resources at an unsustainable pace, is a Ponzi scheme, but there's nothing especially unsustainable about post war immigration patterns in the UK. People might not like it, of course, that's an entirely different question.
    Total bollocks

Immigration into the UK in recent decades has been completely unprecedented in scale and proportion

1 in 6 people in the UK is now foreign born. This has consequences. And one of them was Brexit. It’s not why I voted for it, but many did. As Remainers keep reminding us. And yet it was the Remainers that opened the borders

My wife's brothers (both doctors, one a GP in a poor part of Leeds, the other looks after sick newborns)
    My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    My boss (started a multi billion dollar hedge fund, employs a lot of people in the UK, is a major philanthropist)
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

Meanwhile, I have lived abroad in two different countries for eight years altogether.

I just don't see what the problem is with people moving about. It's the world we live in. If we didn't want people moving here we shouldn't have colonised half the world, taught them all English and invented the jet engine.
    "I'm sorry Mr. Working Class Lad from a Council Estate. If you didn't want unaffordable housing prices from population growth, your pay and conditions undercut from poor immigrants, and a big social divide in your town from a new community that sticks to itself, you should have intervened 100 years before your birth with the upper middle class actions in Asia."
    Mr WCL would be paying Belgian tax rates if it weren't for immigrant workers propping up the British pensioner regime.
    Depends on the immigrant group. Indian doctors, German engineers and French bankers, for sure. But poor immigrants are net costs to the taxpayer over a lifetime. That's why people want control over immigration, so they can let in the net adds and filter the rest. Big business, on the other hand, wants as much cheap labour as possible.
    Well, almost everyone is a net cost to the taxpayer over a lifetime, including the average doctor, engineer and banker, depending on how many kids they have. (Albeit PB comments seems to contain a disproportionate share of six-figure folks.)
    That's not true. Government spending per person is about 10k. You have to be earning about 40k a year to pay that much in income tax. Of course there will be years you don't pay as much tax post retirement, and there are other taxes like NI and VAT, but the overall number comes out around a similar point.
  • Options

RobD said:

Screwing younger voters once more, this is the kind of crap the GOP would come out with.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-id-list-gives-few-options-for-younger-voters/

Required for 60+
    Details from your valid, machine-readable passport or your valid UK driving licence (full or provisional)
    A colour image of your valid, machine-readable passport. This must be in .png or .jpg format and be less than 6MB. The image must show your photo, personal details and passport number

Is that required for Oyster 18+?
    Such nuance is beyond the twitter character limit.
    Read the ERS link I posted, there's more options for older voters than there is for younger voters, do you think that's acceptable?
    We should introduce passport checks for ALL Oyster cards to correct this terrible wrong
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

Leon said:

Leon said:

A Trump Lake ticket makes total sense for both of them

It revives her nearly dead-on-arrival political career

It softens Trump with a telegenic, articulate
    and plausible woman who can probably sell Trumpism better than him

I wouldn’t write them entirely off. Unfortunately

Why is unfortunate? They both seem deeply unpleasant personally, but we don't need to ask them to tea. For Britain, it seems a better option than Biden, who I see is interfering in NI again in his more lucid moments. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    No, I think Trump approaches outright evil

Pretty sure that's in the job description.
    Actually no, it isn't.
    No it's not. But a few candidates besides Trump would fit the description.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    edited November 2022
    Andy_JS said:

We simply do not need ID for voting in this country.

Too late.

I think a lot of people probably don't see what the big deal is about ID for voting, so long as what qualifies as ID is sufficiently wide so as not to clearly penalise people who are less likely to have, say, a passport or driver's licence.

But like the issue of general ID cards, ID for voting seemed a solution looking for a problem to me. The goverment would argue precaution no doubt, but was there proof of a issue which this would solve? How big an issue, and was this a proportionate approach?

The other problem for them is a policy which might look benign when you are ahead in the polls can look sinister when you are well behind, as an attempt to eke out any advantage you can find.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102
    Andy_JS said:

We simply do not need ID for voting in this country.

I kind of agree, but I would say either the polling card OR you prove who you are. Fair compromise?
  • Options
    A modest proposal: on polling day, voters should be made to pass rigorous eye tests to ensure that they can see the ballot and memory tests to ensure they know what they are voting for.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

Sweden didn't colonise much, and they've got plenty of immigrants.
    Apart from half of what is now England, although it was a fair time ago…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

The Swedelaw?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543

Leon said:

Leon said:

Why is unfortunate? They both seem deeply unpleasant personally, but we don't need to ask them to tea. For Britain, it seems a better option than Biden, who I see is interfering in NI again in his more lucid moments. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    No, I think Trump approaches outright evil

Pretty sure that's in the job description.
    Actually no, it isn't.
    No it's not. But a few candidates besides Trump would fit the description.
    You appreciate that Trump and election-denier Lake pose a serious threat to US democracy?
  • Options
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Normally, VP picks are announced only after the nomination has been secured. So, if it is to Lake, we'll probably not know for 18 months, or even longer.
    Unless Trump flounces from the GOP and just announces his own party.

Though the idea Kari Lake is plausible is laughable. She's a loon.
    She's plausible enough to have come from nowhere, taken the GOP Arizona primary, and now come within inches of being Arizona governor

She is definitely "plausible"

I can't think of a better fit as a VP candidate for Trump

He has a big problem with women voters
  • Options
    WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

"I'm sorry Mr. Working Class Lad from a Council Estate. If you didn't want unaffordable housing prices from population growth, your pay and conditions undercut from poor immigrants, and a big social divide in your town from a new community that sticks to itself, you should have intervened 100 years before your birth with the upper middle class actions in Asia."
    Mr WCL would be paying Belgian tax rates if it weren't for immigrant workers propping up the British pensioner regime.
    Depends on the immigrant group. Indian doctors, German engineers and French bankers, for sure. But poor immigrants are net costs to the taxpayer over a lifetime. That's why people want control over immigration, so they can let in the net adds and filter the rest. Big business, on the other hand, wants as much cheap labour as possible.
    Well, almost everyone is a net cost to the taxpayer over a lifetime, including the average doctor, engineer and banker, depending on how many kids they have. (Albeit PB comments seems to contain a disproportionate share of six-figure folks.)
    That's not true. Government spending per person is about 10k. You have to be earning about 40k a year to pay that much in income tax. Of course there will be years you don't pay as much tax post retirement, and there are other taxes like NI and VAT, but the overall number comes out around a similar point.
    That is true of workers, but you spend circa half your life as an infant, learner or pensioner, and plenty of people raise kids full-time or take early retirement, especially the ones who would have paid lots more taxes prior to 65. So if you are on 60k for 30 years and have a long retirement, it's probably a net win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

The Swedelaw?
    Those Scandiwegians are all the same.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

The Swedelaw?
    Brings to mind the cabbage plains near Ankh-Morpork.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Leon said:

WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Normally, VP picks are announced only after the nomination has been secured. So, if it is to Lake, we'll probably not know for 18 months, or even longer.
    Unless Trump flounces from the GOP and just announces his own party.

Though the idea Kari Lake is plausible is laughable. She's a loon.
    She's plausible enough to have come from nowhere, taken the GOP Arizona primary, and now come within inches of being Arizona governor

She is definitely "plausible"

I can't think of a better fit as a VP candidate for Trump

He has a big problem with women voters
    He needs a winner though, not someone to do rabble rousing - he's already good at that. Who brings him something like Pence presumably brought evangelicals?

After all, 'within inches of being Arizona governor' is not much of a cv when the Republicans won by 14, 12 and 12, in the last three gubernatorials there.

I do love the word gubernatorial.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,078
    Leon said:

"unfortunately" - lol
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    The Tories are done. The majority of my generation are fed up of being shafted for Pensioners. That’s it, basically
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    EPG said:

The point is that there is no need for voter ID, it will just increase the number of likely Labour voters who get denied a vote on the day.

Now, that's just being cynical. Who could possibly think this is a form of voter suppression aimed at those not voting Conservative?

It is, by any measure, a sledgehammer to crack the tiniest of nuts. Have there been instances of electoral fraud? Yes, and many of them around postal and proxy votes rather than personation (vote early and often) or anything else. One might argue banning postal and proxy votes would be the way forward but that seems not to be in favour and there are sound reasons why.

Perhaps a more rigorous approach to the verification of postal and proxy votes is the way forward especially in those areas where a problem has ben shown to exist.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    edited November 2022
    EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

That is true of workers, but you spend circa half your life as an infant, learner or pensioner, and plenty of people raise kids full-time or take early retirement, especially the ones who would have paid lots more taxes prior to 65. So if you are on 60k for 30 years and have a long retirement, it's probably a net win.
    As a worker you're also indirectly responsible for plenty of other taxes. Obvious ones like VAT that you pay yourself. but also an employee would have employer's NI, and there are hell of a lot of businesses paying corporation tax that wouldn't be generated money without the labour of the people who work in them, or without people paying for services etc.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

"unfortunately" - lol
    I know it pleasures you to think I am a secret Trumpite Nazi, but I sincerely do not want Trump to win - with Lake or not. And if he chooses Lake I reckon that increases his chances, which is bad

I don't want Woke Dems to win either, at all, but Trump is the nearer and larger danger

Ron De Santis, please. Anti-woke, but patriotic, sound on Putin and not insane
  • Options

The Tories are done. The majority of my generation are fed up of being shafted for Pensioners. That’s it, basically

As a pensioner I have long called for the end of the triple lock but it seems it is the policy of all the parties to retain it
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of young people either, but I do know old people like this.

Older Britons often seem to think young people aren't buying houses and settling down because they're having massive amounts of fun that their generation never did - but when they actually think about it it amounts to buying coffee and using a tumbledryer.

https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1593242142394449920?cxt=HHwWgIDUqbDSqpwsAAAA
  • Options

EPG said:

It does read like an attempt to disproportionately skew the vote toward older people, which is a disgrace.
    I have two thoughts on this.
    (1) Ludicrous that one form of Oyster card is valid and one not. Even if it’s not deliberately done to favour older voters, it sure gives that impression.
    (2) What’s an Oyster card?*

* Ok, I know what one is, but, like the vast majority of the country, don’t live in fecking London, you self obsessed wankers…
    Yes, yes, you don't live in London - most people don't.

There's nothing stopping other towns and cities implementing a similar policy if they wished.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 894
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    stodge said:

EPG said:

It does read like an attempt to disproportionately skew the vote toward older people, which is a disgrace.
    (1) Ludicrous that one form of Oyster card is valid and one not. Even if it’s not deliberately done to favour older voters, it sure gives that impression.

* Ok, I know what one is, but, like the vast majority of the country, don’t live in fecking London, you self obsessed wankers…

There's nothing stopping other towns and cities implementing a similar policy if they wished.
    I’m guessing that below a certain population size it just isn’t worth the investment to have your own distinct system.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2022
    Tonight I learnt that old people still use Oyster Cards.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I'm sure you've seen this already but just incase I'm sure you'll love this classical pottery

https://twitter.com/pompei79/status/1593212710074089472

Awesome.
    ‘Dogging’ seems to have meant something slightly different back then.
    The word "tranny" used to be short for transistor radio in Australia. You can hear it being used if you watch Prisoner Cell Block H for instance.
    I once saw a crossword clue -
    TV or radio (6)
  • Options
    I wonder if Labour will outflank the Tories by offering a tax cut to workers at the next GE.
  • Options
    stodge said:

EPG said:

The equivalent passes are allowed as valid forms of ID. So, outside London there are freedom passes, over 60s bus passes etc.

In fact, the list is chock full of passes for people who are over 60, but things like student/uni passes, strangely aren't allowed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Older Britons often seem to think young people aren't buying houses and settling down because they're having massive amounts of fun that their generation never did - but when they actually think about it it amounts to buying coffee and using a tumbledryer.

https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1593242142394449920?cxt=HHwWgIDUqbDSqpwsAAAA

I think a lot of older people think this, but don’t appreciate the gulf between ‘have a few more instant coffees rather than going to that expensive coffee house’ and the sheer scale of money now needed to get on the housing market.
  • Options
    stodge said:

EPG said:

In Warminster? What would they use it on?
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

I’m guessing that below a certain population size it just isn’t worth the investment to have your own distinct system.
    The solution is simple - turn market towns into large cities.
  • Options
    Is @IshmaelZ banned again? What did he do?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2022
    I’m in favour of retaining a reasonable pension. The triple lock should go, though. Increase it with earnings, only. And tax income above the basic pension level more aggressively.

I’m fine with wealth/asset/property taxes, too.

Our housing stock of family homes should be occupied by families with kids 0-18, mainly. It’s absurd for people to retain their “family home” for many decades after their family moves out. And then use their political power to veto new family homes being built in their area.

I recon, once the tories finally get kicked out, the political power of todays wealthy pensioners will dwindle. They’ve had their cake and eaten it. The next Tory voter coalition will be solidly centred on tax cuts for workers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898

Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

Did Tugendhat really stand to become the PM knowing that he was about to be hit with a driving ban? *brave*.

Especially as the reason for the election was law breaking in #10.
    Still pisses me off that you can get points/bans/fine for holding a phone whilst driving but it is fine if you drive holding a lit cigarette.
    You don't look at the cigarette, do you?

The number of drivers on their phone is just mad. It's worse than being drunk for being in a collision.

People creeping through traffic are the worse - unlikely to see a kid running across or a bike filtering through until it's too late.
    With bluetooth I never touch my phone whilst driving but a few years ago I was nearly knocked

by a woman who lighting her cigarette whilst driving.
    I saw a girl putting on lipstick while driving on the M25 the other day. Not sure what the law says on that.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

The solution is simple - turn market towns into large cities.
    Or make the Oyster scheme nationwide for all forms of public transport.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think a lot of older people think this, but don’t appreciate the gulf between ‘have a few more instant coffees rather than going to that expensive coffee house’ and the sheer scale of money now needed to get on the housing market.
    See also 'they have smart phones!' (also applied to refugees). When smartphones are a) very useful (unless you are AndyJS), b) can be reasonably cheap.
  • Options
    nova said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

As a worker you're also indirectly responsible for plenty of other taxes. Obvious ones like VAT that you pay yourself. but also an employee would have employer's NI, and there are hell of a lot of businesses paying corporation tax that wouldn't be generated money without the labour of the people who work in them, or without people paying for services etc.
    This is true, but if the average person were a net taxpayer and high earners also put it much more than they got out, there would be a big permanent budget surplus. That's not the case, though, because of big items like pensions, NHS, and the education budget, where the average person ends up getting five-figure sums per year, free at point of use, for a lot of their lives. So the point of immigration policy can't be to increase the number of net taxpayers, because that's a solved problem (just soak the top 20% again).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Funnily enough, the young people I know (including myself) don't tend to use tumbledryers because they don't tend to buy their own white goods and if they do, a washer is usually cheaper.
  • Options
    Leon said:

@Ishmael_Z (with underscore) banned yesterday, apparently, for traducing a member of the British Polling Council.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Interesting website - try the quiz! I scored 2 and 3 on my two attempts. The theme may be of general interest to us here... https://www.wearepolesapart.com/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Looked like he was implying some pollsters were not honest, from the posts leading up to the banning. Not wise.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited November 2022
    kle4 said:
    Old people, according to polling, are obscenely selfish. As a class they pretty much beyond the pale, like the Junkers of Prussia.
  • Options

Leon said:

Looked like he was implying some pollsters were not honest, from the posts leading up to the banning. Not wise.
    Ah, OK. Yes that's a clear banning offence

Hope he returns tho. I like his waspish outlook, even if he oversteps when pissed as a duke
  • Options
    EPG said:

nova said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

This is true, but if the average person were a net taxpayer and high earners also put it much more than they got out, there would be a big permanent budget surplus. That's not the case, though, because of big items like pensions, NHS, and the education budget, where the average person ends up getting five-figure sums per year, free at point of use, for a lot of their lives. So the point of immigration policy can't be to increase the number of net taxpayers, because that's a solved problem (just soak the top 20% again).
    I'd be interested to see if someone has actually worked this all out, because I can't think of many businesses that don't ultimately need people to generate money.

I suspect we'd have to get rid of all the workers and then see how much tax the top 20% actually generate independently. Can you think of many examples?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,490
    nova said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

The equivalent passes are allowed as valid forms of ID. So, outside London there are freedom passes, over 60s bus passes etc.

In fact, the list is chock full of passes for people who are over 60, but things like student/uni passes, strangely aren't allowed.
    Shocking. And fails to address the real problem which is the failure to check the security of postal voting.

• Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824
    edited November 2022
    Deleted - realised I was replying to old, old post
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

EPG said:

It’s your passport to a world that is expensive and hard to get in to…..
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    IanB2 said:

Did Tugendhat really stand to become the PM knowing that he was about to be hit with a driving ban? *brave*.

As PM he would never have to drive anywhere.

Ideal!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

See also 'they have smart phones!' (also applied to refugees). When smartphones are a) very useful (unless you are AndyJS), b) can be reasonably cheap.
    I passed a nail bar in town today and noticed five young ladies shoulder-to-shoulder having their nails buffed by another five young ladies. How can the chancellor crack down on this sort of futile economic activity in favour of bricklaying?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

RobD said:

The government’s voter ID scheme has been released. Turns out there are few anomalies.

Is there a difference in the process by which both are obtained?
    Answering my own question, the 60+ one requires proof of your passport, whereas the 18+ one only requires you to upload a photo. It's easy to see why one is accepted and one is not.
    Exactly it's an entirely logical reason, not some weird conspiracy.
  • Options
    UK health officials investigating possible Ebola case in Colchester - Telegraph
  • Options

EPG said:

NOBODY USES OYSTER CARDS IN LONDON, even if they live in London.

Cashless via any known bank card works the same way so there is absolutely no point whatsoever in having an Oyster.

• Options
    EPG said:

A modest proposal: on polling day, voters should be made to pass rigorous eye tests to ensure that they can see the ballot and memory tests to ensure they know what they are voting for.

Test their short-term memory by asking if they know who is the prime minister?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Boebert's lead just fell by about 400. Now 746.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Interesting website - try the quiz! I scored 2 and 3 on my two attempts. The theme may be of general interest to us here... https://www.wearepolesapart.com/

Three for me. Votes based on feeling not logic. May have some bearing on this ID thing. If people "feel" it is an attempt to suppress the vote it may backfire.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

EPG said:

Cashless via any known bank card works the same way so there is absolutely no point whatsoever in having an Oyster.

Cough.

What about people over the age of 60?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576

stodge said:

EPG said:

The FV432s parked outside the School of Infantry. (Warriors and Mastiffs, rather, now, probably.)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    MikeL said:

Boebert's lead just fell by about 400. Now 746.

Please let her lose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

The Swedelaw?
    Ran as far as Gretna. After that was the law of the turnip.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420

EPG said:

Geoff Marshall does. The number one Tube geek.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

Still pisses me off that you can get points/bans/fine for holding a phone whilst driving but it is fine if you drive holding a lit cigarette.

The number of drivers on their phone is just mad. It's worse than being drunk for being in a collision.

People creeping through traffic are the worse - unlikely to see a kid running across or a bike filtering through until it's too late.
    With bluetooth I never touch my phone whilst driving but a few years ago I was nearly knocked

I saw a girl putting on lipstick while driving on the M25 the other day. Not sure what the law says on that.

I’m pretty sure it says you should have been keeping your eyes on the road?
  • Options

UK health officials investigating possible Ebola case in Colchester - Telegraph

Time to nuke Essex, it’s the only way to be sure.
  • Options

Having tried the quiz (once - not wasting my time again) I think that was rather obvious. Pick some voters who have voted against the natural vote for their overall views and then amaze (!) people trying to guess how they voted or would vote.
    A bit like putting the spot the ball ball in the wrong place on purpose.
  • Options

I don't quite get it - it seems to be drawn at random, but without knowing whether the information is chosen at random or specifically to be counter-intuitive, it's hard to tell if it's quite representative or just centrist scolds lecturing the reader against Bayes' Theorem.
  • Options

I wonder if Labour will outflank the Tories by offering a tax cut to workers at the next GE.

They should.
  • Options
    Surely the way around not having ID is to simply apply for a postal vote?
    I did during the pandemic. Got a permanent one, no questions asked, no reason required.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

EPG said:

With contactless, the world’s your lobster.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,241
    edited November 2022
    The SNP is trying to quell a coup in its Westminster group after an MP from the 2019 intake launched an attempt to oust Ian Blackford as leader.

Stephen Flynn, the Aberdeen South MP and energy spokesman, has informed senior party officials of his intention to lead the group in the Commons, The Times has been told.

His supporters said it became apparent at around lunchtime today that he had the backing of enough MPs to win any potential contest, which triggered his decision to challenge.

He subsequently told Ian McCann, the party’s compliance officer, that he would put his name forward at next month’s annual general meeting of the Westminster group.

Blackford’s allies were trying to persuade Flynn, 34, to back out and disputed the claim that he commanded majority support among MPs.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stephen-flynn-launches-bid-to-oust-ian-blackford-as-snp-westminster-leader-g9qvwx23g

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

In 2021 they still made up about a third of journeys. So nobody is a large exaggeration.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

EPG said:

Test their short-term memory by asking if they know who is the prime minister?
    Bit unfair these days. Same with the Queen, etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Cough.

What about people over the age of 60?
    IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

IanB2 said:

I saw a girl putting on lipstick while driving on the

M25 the other day. Not sure what the law says on that.

I’m pretty sure it says you should have been keeping your eyes on the road?
    I was in the passenger seat
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I still think smartphones are rubbish.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,057

Minimum wage (£10.42) * 30 hours per week * 52 weeks (assuming paid holidays) = £16,255.20 - so you could see a promise to increase the personal allowance, and thereby cut tax for everyone earning under £100k, being an attractive proposition, if you can work out how to pay for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Outside London in England you get a bus pass when you reach State Pension age.
    Not at 60.
    You also can't use that pass before 9am. Never have.
    Hence old people known as "twirlies".
    (Am I too early? = I'm a twirly in Scouse).
  • Options
    glw said:

In 2021 they still made up about a third of journeys. So nobody is a large exaggeration.
    Well then there are many idiots / provincial people who don’t realise that they are completely unnecessary. All you need is a phone. Don’t even need a bank card.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    glw said:

If you get a discounted rate that is applied to your oyster it's def worth using it. Staff and retired staff get this.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Sandpit said:

The legacy of the brief Truss/Kwarteng period has been to fix the idea in the minds of many voters that the mess we are in now is down to Tory incompetence.
  • Options

EPG said:

There's a generalisation if there ever was one. Older people use them, younger people use them. Those who pay also use bank cards and phones I'll freely admit but I'd venture there are still a lot of Oyster cards in use every day.

Those who don't pay (or choose not to pay) have their own methods of getting through the barriers.

When the revenue protection team and British Transport Police visit East Ham, they always seem to get a good haul of (mainly younger male) offenders.
  • Options
    Huge news of change from an establishment holdout! (It is actually for a good reason)

Female competitors at Wimbledon will be allowed to wear dark-coloured undershorts from next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/63666684
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Hope he returns tho. I like his waspish outlook, even if he oversteps when pissed as a duke
    God, I don't. The nastiest most personal and unpleasant poster on here, IMHO, and a bully.

He should have been permanently banned long ago.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

The FV432s parked outside the School of Infantry. (Warriors and Mastiffs, rather, now, probably.)
    I wish! That would be awesome. Best we get is the vintage bus ride to Imber once a year (past lots of dead tanks on the ranges).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

Erik the Viking says Hi!
    Erik the Red? Not to mention his son Leif.
  • Options

EPG said:

I do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

Erik the Viking says Hi!
    Erik the Red? Not to mention his son Leif.
    In any case, what about all this 'Northmen' stuff in, erm, Normandy, Iceland, Rus, and so on?
  • Options
    They should close all ticket stations on the Tube as paper tickets are even stupider and equally as pointless as Oysters. I mean, it’s not even possible to pay cash on a bus (rightly).
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

The legacy of the brief Truss/Kwarteng period has been to fix the idea in the minds of many voters that the mess we are in now is down to Tory incompetence.
    Yes, there are non-Tory reasons for some of the huge mess we are in (even though they have been in power a long time), but their actions (and apparently cluelessness as to our problems) leading to their own ousting makes it pretty reasonable for people to assume it all down to the party.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    'Part-mandarin, part-mortician, Hunt delivered his statement in the tone of a dad breaking the news to his child that their pet hamster died over the summer holidays' | Writes @Madz_Grant

Read more ⤵️
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/17/undertaker-jeremy-hunt-breaks-bad-news-economy-sir-humphrey/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1668708548-2
  • Options
    nova said:

EPG said:

nova said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

EPG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Total bollocks

My brother's partner
    Two of my children
    Most of my colleagues
    Loads of my neighbours
    Loads of my friends

I'd be interested to see if someone has actually worked this all out, because I can't think of many businesses that don't ultimately need people to generate money.

I suspect we'd have to get rid of all the workers and then see how much tax the top 20% actually generate independently. Can you think of many examples?
    Needless to say, businesses are taxed on their profits (efficiency in delivering services) and not incomes (amount of services delivered). But you have hit on the real reason why rich countries want immigration. Not for net tax revenues directly, which they can raise pretty rapidly, but to increase aggregate demand and labour supply in general. It happens that recent immigration demographically reduces other workers' tax bills, but that's not the most important point.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,057
    ping said:

Oooh. I’ve found myself a paper to read via Google;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4780611/

Unfortunately, I don’t understand at least half of the words that they’re using. But I think it disagrees with @LostPassword

Me being an idiot and not studying any science beyond GCSE means that I have absolutely no idea who is right. But I do feel like I’m learning something. Maybe.

Such a shame when such an attractive theory is destroyed by evidence!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Huge news of change from an establishment holdout! (It is actually for a good reason)

Female competitors at Wimbledon will be allowed to wear dark-coloured undershorts from next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/63666684

Agree mainly, but ‘undershorts’ is terrible.
  • Options

EPG said:

I do.
    Why? You can just use your phone (unless you get free travel for some reason - in which case fine, but that’s not relevant to my point. For Joe Public, Oysters are pointless clutter)

• Options

They should close all ticket stations on the Tube as paper tickets are even stupider and equally as pointless as Oysters. I mean, it’s not even possible to pay cash on a bus (rightly).

Strangely. I see folk paying cash every day.
  • Options
    Shadsy:

Hooray! The @FiveThirtyEight World Cup model has arrived.

Gamblers mostly like to laugh at their sports output, but as it happens most of their tournament win probabilities are very close to the betting market estimates this time around.

https://twitter.com/shadsy/status/1592982504478474240?s=46&t=7acgFT8LWBCLjHRc_hSA4g

England 7% chance?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

God, I don't. The nastiest most personal and unpleasant poster on here, IMHO, and a bully.

He should have been permanently banned long ago.
    In fairness he had reined that in a fair bit recently. But, I know what you mean.
This discussion has been closed.