Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Page not found – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208

Tres said:

Leon said:

Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Crowd shouting lock her up about Nancy Pelosi at a Trump rally . The Maga Trump Cult are despicable hate filled scum.

I couldn’t stomach being in the same room as them .

Trouble is the Trumpites know you hate them, and they think you started all this, so there's yer civil war, right there
    In a civil war of the young and fit against the old and obese, only one side will win.
    The side carrying bigger guns.

There won't be a civil war because the army and security services are not deserting and joining 'the other side'. There could be civil unrest. If there is a right wing secessionist movement it would need significant parts of the army and airforce to come over to its side. I find that unlikely.
    Total bollocks sorry, I hear this a lot what does the right to bear arms matter when the us military has all these toys.

Well the us military had all the best toys in vietnam whereas the vietnamese had what comes under the heading right to bear arms....the us lost

ditto afghanistan.

Which is even before the fact that in a civil war half the us military is likely to defect taking their toys with them
    Vietcong were happy to live in tunnels on half a bowl of rice a week. MAGGOTS less so. Helicopter gunships when they go on a Walmart run, and BOOM.
    The vietcong were already used to that style of living largely it is irrelevant.

Conventional armies pitted against conventional armies the best equipped have an advantage.

Conventional army against a guerilla force that blends into the population and has the clandestine support of many....they dont do so good
    I just don't think MAGA phatbois are going to melt into the jungle quite like Charlie did. Cut off their social security, foreclose on their trucks and their houses, track their mobiles.
    If there is an American Civil War, it would be close. Closer than the last one

And I significantly doubt the loyalty of the US Military to Woke Democrats

In the last Civil War, the losing side was emotionally crippled by knowing - deep down - that they were morally in the wrong. And their opponents felt the opposite

Not the case here
    I honestly think an american civil war would lead to a british civil war along similar lines...woke leftists vs the white working class...
    I honestly think you're living in a fantasy world of your own.
    Might seem farfetched but imagine coverage of an american civil war on our tv screens every night...we know how humans have a herd mentality
    Don't be dumb. No one looks at news footage of another country tearing itself apart and thinks 'oh, maybe we should do that too'.

Also, re: "woke leftists vs the white working class". No one gives a shit about 'woke' beyond a few right-wing nut jobs (some of whom are on here). People care about not being able to pay their fuel bills, afford the rent/mortgage, do their weekly shop, get a doctors appointment if they need one. They worry about climate change, about their jobs, their kids getting a decent education, their older relatives having proper social care, whether an ambulance would turn up if they need one.

Stuff like that. Woke, not so much.

You are delusionally wrong. Woke is so advanced in America: and many people care

People like you reckon it is the same as a Daily Mail scare story from the 90s. You think this is "political correctness gone mad"

That's as bad an error as identifying Covid as "just another flu"
    wrong, it's the red scare for the 21st century.
    So it's to the 21st century what communism was to the 20th century?
    No it's to the 21st century what the american hysteria and over-reaction to fear of communism infiltrating their society was to the 20th century.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Joan Armatrading's Love and Affection is up there with Fast Car. And it has similarities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWFKKtvAvak

What a superb song

"I am not in love, but I am open to persuasion"

Outstanding song. Have seen her live. Great stuff.

And this

https://youtu.be/vyI9flHHT2Q

"I can't do everything but I'd do anything for you.
    I can't do anything but be in love with you.
    And all I do is miss you and the way we used to be."
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,938
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Joan Armatrading's Love and Affection is up there with Fast Car. And it has similarities

What a superb song

Gorgrous song, gorgeous singer.
    For bittersweet i rather like Up the Junction and Labelled with Love. In different ways just express the bleakness and shittiness of life.

He became drinker and she became mother, she knew that one day she'd be one or the other
    I got a job with Stanley
    He said I'd come in handy
    And started me on Monday
    So I had a bath on Sunday
    I worked eleven hours
    And bought the girl some flowers
    She said she'd seen a doctor
    And nothing now could stop her

That's close to lyrical perfection, in its depiction of working class London life, with added pregnancy
    Its fucking magic.
    Carter USM have some gold too, or a bit more up to date, Shiela by Jamie T is a classic. Plus Bob Hoskins is in the video

When I fall, no one catch me
    Alone lonely, I'll overdose slowly
    Get scared, I'll scream and shout
    But you know it won't matter she'll be passing out

I say, "Giggidibiggidi up" just another day
    Another sad story, that's tragedy
    Paramedic announced death at 10:30
    Rip it up, kick it to spit up the views

Knowing what USM means is always a bonus. As is

Now Sheriff Fatman started out in business
    As a granny farmer
    He was infamous for fifteen minutes
    And he appeared on Panorama
    Then he somehow got himself on board
    The Starship Enterprise Allowance Scheme
    With a Prince of Wales award
    For pushing Valium and amphetamines

Moving up on second base
    Behind Nicholas Van Wotsisface
    At six foot six and a hundred tons
    The undisputed king of the slums
    With more aliases than Klaus Barbie
    The master butcher of Leigh-on-Sea
    Just about to take the stage
    The one and only
    Hold the front page!
    @OnlyLivingBoy ought to enter the chat here.
    ISTR his PB name is a Carter USM inspired one.
  • Options
    Martin10Martin10 Posts: 142

Martin10 said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Crowd shouting lock her up about Nancy Pelosi at a Trump rally . The Maga Trump Cult are despicable hate filled scum.

Trouble is the Trumpites know you hate them, and they think you started all this, so there's yer civil war, right there
    In a civil war of the young and fit against the old and obese, only one side will win.

There won't be a civil war because the army and security services are not deserting and joining 'the other side'. There could be civil unrest. If there is a right wing secessionist movement it would need significant parts of the army and airforce to come over to its side. I find that unlikely.
    Total bollocks sorry, I hear this a lot what does the right to bear arms matter when the us military has all these toys.

Well the us military had all the best toys in vietnam whereas the vietnamese had what comes under the heading right to bear arms....the us lost

ditto afghanistan.

Which is even before the fact that in a civil war half the us military is likely to defect taking their toys with them
    Vietcong were happy to live in tunnels on half a bowl of rice a week. MAGGOTS less so. Helicopter gunships when they go on a Walmart run, and BOOM.
    The vietcong were already used to that style of living largely it is irrelevant.

Conventional armies pitted against conventional armies the best equipped have an advantage.

Conventional army against a guerilla force that blends into the population and has the clandestine support of many....they dont do so good
    I just don't think MAGA phatbois are going to melt into the jungle quite like Charlie did. Cut off their social security, foreclose on their trucks and their houses, track their mobiles.

In the last Civil War, the losing side was emotionally crippled by knowing - deep down - that they were morally in the wrong. And their opponents felt the opposite

Not the case here
    I honestly think an american civil war would lead to a british civil war along similar lines...woke leftists vs the white working class...
    I honestly think you're living in a fantasy world of your own.
    Might seem farfetched but imagine coverage of an american civil war on our tv screens every night...we know how humans have a herd mentality
    Don't be dumb. No one looks at news footage of another country tearing itself apart and thinks 'oh, maybe we should do that too'.

Also, re: "woke leftists vs the white working class". No one gives a shit about 'woke' beyond a few right-wing nut jobs (some of whom are on here). People care about not being able to pay their fuel bills, afford the rent/mortgage, do their weekly shop, get a doctors appointment if they need one. They worry about climate change, about their jobs, their kids getting a decent education, their older relatives having proper social care, whether an ambulance would turn up if they need one. Stuff like that.

Woke, not so much.

No i think people will start to rile the whites up over demographic displacement whether its Farage or someone further to the right...as people get poorer they get more angry
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Leon said:

What a superb song

ça plane pour moi must be up there with the greats
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

For bittersweet i rather like Up the Junction and Labelled with Love. In different ways just express the bleakness and shittiness of life.

He became drinker and she became mother, she knew that one day she'd be one or the other
    I got a job with Stanley
    And started me on Monday
    I worked eleven hours

That's close to lyrical perfection, in its depiction of working class London life, with added pregnancy
    Its fucking magic.
    Carter USM have some gold too, or a bit more up to date, Shiela by Jamie T is a classic. Plus Bob Hoskins is in the video

As a granny farmer

Moving up on second base
    The one and only
    Hold the front page!
    I went by USM at Uni, my girlfirend scoffed 'as if'

You win some and you lose some
    And I've lost the will to lose
    With my part time job and my faith in God
    Falling on a bruise

And this no star bed and breakfast
    And insolvency abuse, make me feel like throwing myself
    Off the kitchen shelf
    Falling on a bruise

And all of my unworldly goods, the bailiffs took them too
    For all the ducked bills and silly sods
    From Brian Mills's catalog
    Something borrowed, bartered and blue

You win some and you lose some, you save nothing, nothing for a rainy day
    You need your nutrasweet daddy or some peppermint paddy
    Or just a hackneyed old cabbie
    Who can drive you and your baby away

Two fives or a ten
    Could get me back to you
    And stop me
    Falling on a bruise

Thats the kiddy. Shoppers Paradise also has this classic little verse

Spend your money girls, on sprays and lipsticks
    Tested on bunnies, girls, strays and misfits
    Ozone friendly rape alarms, for those blinding dates
    Another summer of hate
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Martin10 said:

Gov Desantis declares war on Soros
    "You're destroying America so im going to destroy you"

https://twitter.com/mrcoonie/status/1589012190862135296?s=20&t=6XXGHi9XwUtUrgpTAqcepQ

If i were Soros i would be getting concerned

That link is about Council Tax.

And Mr Soros is worth many billions. And doesn't live in Florida.

What is Mr DeSantis going to do to him: refuse him access to Disneyworld?
    Sorry wrong link there
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone a fan of Steve Winwood?

Can't find my way home is a favourite of mine.
  • Options

TimS said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Continuing tonight's musical nostalgia theme, Tracy Chapman's first album called Tracy Chapman is mindblowingly good.

Behind the wall is still the best ever pop depiction of domestic abuse, although the Police’s every breath you take is close.

“Last night I heard the screaming
    Then a silence that chilled my soul”
    Suzanne Vegas Luka is pretty good for that, Poppy but to the point

Yes I think I'm okay
    I walked into the door again
    If you ask that's what I'll say
    And it's not your business anyway
    Just don't argue anymore.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 933
    Andy_JS said:

I need to find out what the lyrics to Drop The Pilot actually mean. I know the words but don't have a clue what it's all about.

It's all about 19th century German politics (with the title line being a reference to Tenniel's famous political cartoon).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Hampstead would see off Hartlepool easy. Hobnail boots and vulgar chanting no match for the fortified crepe van.
    The heath would be a great place for the deciding battle....gays and wokes vs armed thugs
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    If this is accurate a battalion of 500 Russian troops was sent to the front line armed with 3 spades and 4 grenades. They were abandoned by commanders who had told them they were there to be "meat". They were obliterated by Ukrainian artillery. If this is representatives then it explains the very high numbers of Russian troop losses lately.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1589355678770290688.html
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

I got a job with Stanley
    And started me on Monday
    I worked eleven hours

Its fucking magic.

As a granny farmer

Moving up on second base
    The one and only
    Hold the front page!
    The only living boy in New Cross. Noice
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,743

Foxy said:

I’d probably rate Subcity above Fast Car.

But it’s a close run thing.

Or this one:

https://youtu.be/CoNtYC_XDC8

Though the music recommendations on this thread are like Smooth FM on Valium. Not my cup of tea at all.

Music does bring back memories like Proust and his Madelaine, they are however very specific to individual, time and place.

I know what you mean. I did end up recommending a load of nineties tech house to a very intoxicated @casinoroyale once, but generally tastes on here are fairly MOR (which is fine, if you are in the mood for it)
    Tastes on here are quite the opposite of MOR. If we asked for PERSONAL tastes you would get an amazing variety of new, old, classic, weird, urban, world, folk, electro-gangsta-folk (etc etc) music. I know this because we have done it. And much interest was provided thereby

We are specifically discussing Classic And Perfect Pop Songs. That's a canon, so this is canonical
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Hampstead would see off Hartlepool easy. Hobnail boots and vulgar chanting no match for the fortified crepe van.
    The heath would be a great place for the deciding battle....gays and wokes vs armed thugs
    You have a very low opinion of the white working class.
    That's part of the problem.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Foxy said:

Or this one:

Though the music recommendations on this thread are like Smooth FM on Valium. Not my cup of tea at all.

Music does bring back memories like Proust and his Madelaine, they are however very specific to individual, time and place.

I know what you mean. I did end up recommending a load of nineties tech house to a very intoxicated @casinoroyale once, but generally tastes on here are fairly MOR (which is fine, if you are in the mood for it)
    What's the blandest thing on the menu?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

I got a job with Stanley
    And started me on Monday
    I worked eleven hours

Its fucking magic.

As a granny farmer

Moving up on second base
    The one and only
    Hold the front page!
    Indeed it is! And I live in New Cross.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Alexander the Great was a roaring faggot, just btw. And Napoleon decriminalised bestiality, which is prolly pretty woke.
  • Options
    RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,899
    Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Hampstead would see off Hartlepool easy.

Hobnail boots and vulgar chanting no match for

the fortified crepe van.

The heath would be a great place for the deciding

battle....gays and wokes vs armed thugs
    Okay, someone turn this knobcheese off now

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Not really the white working class have a lot of common sense...maybe it helps that i actually know and talk to them....
  • Options

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Hampstead would see off Hartlepool easy.

Hobnail boots and vulgar chanting no match for

the fortified crepe van.

The heath would be a great place for the deciding

battle....gays and wokes vs armed thugs
    Okay, someone turn this knobcheese off now

Sense of humour failure there...do you not recognise irony
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    My nomination for perfect pop song is Christine McVie's Everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB9Y2LHIT24
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

If this is accurate a battalion of 500 Russian troops was sent to the front line armed with 3 spades and 4 grenades. They were abandoned by commanders who had told them they were there to be "meat". They were obliterated by Ukrainian artillery. If this is representatives then it explains the very high numbers of Russian troop losses lately.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1589355678770290688.html

Though the destruction of the 155th Naval Infantry as described here shows that even the regular Russian troops are getting mauled.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/11/6/2134063/-Ukraine-Update-Russian-naval-infantry-decimated-at-Pavlivka-in-stunning-defeat?pm_campaign=blog&pm_medium=rss&pm_source=main&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS

No doubt the Ukranians are taking heavy casualties too, but that front line in Donetsk has barely budged since February.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Martin10 said:

https://twitter.com/mrcoonie/status/1589012190862135296?s=20&t=6XXGHi9XwUtUrgpTAqcepQ

De Santis does do attacks on Soros quite regularaly. In fund raising emails and, once, an Ad purchase on a Soros owned radio station apparently (if the internet can be trusted on these matters).
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,186
    edited November 2022
    Season Of The Witch

This is an awesome recording
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    Not really the white working class have a lot of common sense...maybe it helps that i actually know and talk to them....
    So. What proportion are armed thugs?
    And how many gay or woke lefty?
    In your expert opinion?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Martin10 said:

De Santis does do attacks on Soros quite regularaly. In fund raising emails and, once, an Ad purchase on a Soros owned radio station apparently (if the internet can be trusted on these matters).
    Tbf desantis veers into antisemitic territory at times
  • Options

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    Yep. Making Movies was the first LP I ever bought.
  • Options
    For the record: PB's Collective Taste in Music is one of its finest attributes. We have had debates on "interesting new music" and multiple arcane, eccentric, weird, fascinating gems from all over the world have been unearthed. It is really impressive, not least in the way that posters you sort-of least-expect to have diverse tastes actually have amazingly diverse and well-informed tastes

This particular debate today was provoked by someone (I forget who!) saying that "Baker Street" heard in a gastropub on a rainy Sunday afternoon made for the Perfect Pop Song. Where you would not change a note

Thus began a long and intriguing debate on Perfect Pop Songs. The canon
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    For very personal reasons connected to a broken heart, Joan of Arc by OMD utterly destroys me

A little Catholic girl who's fallen in love
    A face on a page, a gift from above
    She should have known better than to give her heart
    She should have know better than to ever part
    Without me
    Without me

I gave her everything that I ever owned
    I think she understood though she never spoke
    She shouldn't oughta try to be that way
    She shouldn't have to go there ever again
    Without me
    Without me

Now listen to us good and listen well
    Oh, listen to us all and everything we tell
    We should have known better than to give her away
    We should have known better to this very day
    Without me
    Without me

Now listen Joan of Arc
    All you gotta do
    Say the right words and I'll be coming through
    Hold you in my arms and take you right away

Now she's on her way to another land
    We never understood why she gave her hand
    She shouldn't oughta promise because it's just pretend
    I know she doesn't mean it and she'll leave again
    Without me
    Without me

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Tom Cotton is a scum bag, and not just because I was on him @50
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Or this one:

Fuck me, the wannabe edginess. This started as a conversation about pop *perfection* as embodied in Baker Street and Sultans of Swing, so it's bound to be about mainstream stuff. All the music which anyone has recommended has in fact been superlatively good. You are are a near-retired-because-theres-£1m-in-your-pension fund NHS medic. I do DMT about once a month. You have probably never heard of it, but it makes LSD look like lager shandy. I have got weirder things than you free in packets of cereal. So leave it.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    It pains me to say it but Iran has clearly had an impact on the war in Ukraine. And yet what is the response to this? So far as I can see, nothing. It's remarkably brazen of them to think they could get involved in a war on the European continent on the other side of Nato.
  • Options

It pains me to say it but Iran has clearly had an impact on the war in Ukraine. And yet what is the response to this? So far as I can see, nothing. It's remarkably brazen of them to think they could get involved in a war on the European continent on the other side of Nato.

We will get our revenge at the world cup though
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    For our Russian friend, here's a classic from Yuri Shevchuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPohYkQyN-0

And the moment Putin pretended not to know who he was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaxf7txb-l4
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Re, civil war, in the majority of wars where regular soldiers are pitted against guerillas, the guerillas lose.

Guerilla warfare is what you do when you don't have sufficient resources to maintain conventional forces. Where guerillas do well is when they are working in conjunction with regular forces (eg Vietnam, the Peninsular War, the Eastern Front from 1942-44).

If, civil war broke out in the US, and the US army broke decisively for one side or another, that side would win
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    And peaking of destroys, i heartily recommend Diamond Smiles by Boomtown Rats

'Love is for others, but me it destroys'

She ran up the stairs
    Stood upon the vanity chair
    Tied her lamé belt around the chandalier
    And went out kicking at the perfumed air
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Darn. I was on him too.

Oh well.
  • Options

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    Theyre making movies on location...right now they dont know what it means
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Or this one:

Fuck me, the wannabe edginess. This started as a conversation about pop *perfection* as embodied in Baker Street and Sultans of Swing, so it's bound to be about mainstream stuff. All the music which anyone has recommended has in fact been superlatively good. You are are a near-retired-because-theres-£1m-in-your-pension fund NHS medic. I do DMT about once a month. You have probably never heard of it, but it makes LSD look like lager shandy. I have got weirder things than you free in packets of cereal. So leave it.
    OK boomer.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    In your expert opinion?
    Question for @Martin10. Is this armed thug white working class or gay?

• Options

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    For a while I was embarrassed about that. Now it's Ubercool. Because it's super pop music.
  • Options

For very personal reasons connected to a broken heart, Joan of Arc by OMD utterly destroys me

Without me
    Without me

Without me
    Without me

Without me
    Without me

Now listen Joan of Arc
    All you gotta do

I hope she doesn't mean it and she'll leave again
    Without me
    Without me

OMD were and are notable songwriters

Apparently one of them didn't want to release "Souvenir" because the tune is "too pretty". Thought it would cheapen them. And yet the melody is timeless and haunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIYOiQUi2s
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Or this one:

OK boomer.
    :lol:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

dixiedean said:

Martin10 said:

kinabalu said:

Martin10 said:

Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pagan2 said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

ditto afghanistan.

Not the case here
    In your expert opinion?
    Question for @Martin10. Is this armed thug white working class or gay?

It's entirely possible to be all three.
    Free country you see.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Re, civil war, in the majority of wars where regular soldiers are pitted against guerillas, the guerillas lose.

Guerilla warfare is what you do when you don't have sufficient resources to maintain conventional forces. Where guerillas do well is when they are working in conjunction with regular forces (eg Vietnam, the Peninsular War, the Eastern Front from 1942-44).

If, civil war broke out in the US, and the US army broke decisively for one side or another, that side would win

If Howe had defeated Washington's field army in 1776, and hooked up with Burgoyne at Saratoga, then the French/Spanish wouldn't have entered the war and it's possible the British could have won it.

Controlling Long Island, Rhode Island and the Hudson - together with the Royal Navy patrolling offshore - would have isolated the most rebellious New England colonies and even a strong militia in Connecticut and Massachusetts wouldn't have sustained the rebels. Howe could have launched a devastating march through there to retake Boston when he was ready, possibly combined with another thrust from Newport.

Once done, the middle colonies wouldn't have been able to put up much of a fight, and there were plenty of loyalists in the southern colonies who'd have overthrown the 'patriots' as soon as the bulk of their population had smelt the coffee.
  • Options
    This is a funny tweet on META. Day in the life of a product manager

https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1589378556957954048?s=20&t=kRIyCyhUr4nilXZ9eHESHQ
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    For a while I was embarrassed about that. Now it's Ubercool. Because it's super pop music.
    Kings of the Wild Frontier, Adam Ant.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2022
    Bad news;

R4 Westminster hour - Hunt’s black hole has, today, swelled to 60bn (up from assumptions of £50bn).

Current plan 60% spending cuts, 40% tax rises.

Basic & higher rate of income tax unchanged (assume frozen thresholds, though)

Expect rises in CGT, Dividends tax, bank tax, oil/gas windfall.

We’ll see how good the BBC sources are, on the 17th.
  • Options

My nomination for perfect pop song is Christine McVie's Everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB9Y2LHIT24

That's a really lovely live version of an exquisite song. Fleetwood Mac eh?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    On a purely what is the most quintessential pop song ever, it may well be 'Dancing Queen'.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    Prince Charming was great
  • Options
    Leon said:

Without me
    Without me

Without me
    Without me

Without me
    Without me

Now listen Joan of Arc
    All you gotta do

I hope she doesn't mean it and she'll leave again
    Without me
    Without me

OMD were and are notable songwriters

Apparently one of them didn't want to release "Souvenir" because the tune is "too pretty". Thought it would cheapen them. And yet the melody is timeless and haunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIYOiQUi2s
    Souvenir is on my funeral/wake playlist
  • Options
    mwadams said:

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    No, sorry, gonna have to blow the whistle there. That is shit. So shit, it harshes the mellow of the whole evening.

Shit.
  • Options
    I loved Pure Shores by All Saints
  • Options
    My favourite Otis Redding song is Tell The Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACNL6WUzqA
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If Howe had defeated Washington's field army in 1776, and hooked up with Burgoyne at Saratoga, then the French/Spanish wouldn't have entered the war and it's possible the British could have won it.

Controlling Long Island, Rhode Island and the Hudson - together with the Royal Navy patrolling offshore - would have isolated the most rebellious New England colonies and even a strong militia in Connecticut and Massachusetts wouldn't have sustained the rebels. Howe could have launched a devastating march through there to retake Boston when he was ready, possibly combined with another thrust from Newport.

Once done, the middle colonies wouldn't have been able to put up much of a fight, and there were plenty of loyalists in the southern colonies who'd have overthrown the 'patriots' as soon as the bulk of their population had smelt the coffee.
    Tea, surely
  • Options
    Gary Numan cars great song
  • Options

Alistair said:

Darn. I was on him too.

Oh well.
    Could be worse, you could have my GOP book which includes James Mattis at 70.
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

I loved Pure Shores by All Saints

I preferred 'Stronger' by Sugababes (2002)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    On a purely what is the most quintessential pop song ever, it may well be 'Dancing Queen'.
    Ultra poignant for those of us who were, and whose girlfriends were, only seventeen at the time it came out.
  • Options
    Da da da da da da....da da da da da
    Da da da da da da.....da da da da dddd
    Brilliant
  • Options
    I must confess I think Yellow by Coldplay is fantastic.
    Other songs by bands I generally don't like.
    Orange Crush REM.
    Crazy Little thing called Love Queen.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

mwadams said:

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    No, sorry, gonna have to blow the whistle there. That is shit. So shit, it harshes the mellow of the whole evening.

Shit.
    Just in case, I went back and checked

And yes, it's shit. Absolutely shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hEn_rEDzp0

However it has a liveliness and cheeky innocence which I kind of miss. Also he was very good looking. Ended up mad and sectioned, as I recall
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Story Of The Blues is peak pop

Or if we are talking jaunty, Tubthumping

Or Go Your Own Way

Theres a few to choose from. Maybe as many as 10!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.
    Ultra poignant for those of us who were, and whose girlfriends were, only seventeen at the time it came out.
    Prefer Killer Queen myself
    Shes a killer....queen
  • Options

She ran up the stairs

For a few months in my teens Rat Trap was the greatest thing ever created by mankind.

• Options
    Martin10 said:

Brilliant

Da is weirdly what your wife says to me when I ask her whether my member is twice as large as yours.
  • Options

She ran up the stairs

For a few months in my teens Rat Trap was the greatest thing ever created by mankind.

Rat trap better than i dont like mondays
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned Just Can't get Enough. Depeche Mode?
    I'd retire on that.
    No more need to speak.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Brilliant

Da is weirdly what your wife says to me when I ask her whether my member is twice as large as yours.
    Have i had sex with your wife...must have been on drugs at the time lol
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

She ran up the stairs

Rat trap better than i dont like mondays
    Joey's on the street again.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    edited November 2022
    dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Not sure Orange Crush can be counted as perfect pop song. Far too edgy.

Only something off Automatic will count for REM in this category I think.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Paradise is my favourit coldplay
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ishmael_Z said:

mwadams said:

dixiedean said:

RunDeep said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

And this

Awesome song.
    ABBA Arrival for me.

Shit.
    Just in case, I went back and checked

And yes, it's shit. Absolutely shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hEn_rEDzp0

However it has a liveliness and cheeky innocence which I kind of miss. Also he was very good looking. Ended up mad and sectioned, as I recall
    And Human League's Mirror Man is about him
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What a superb song

I got a job with Stanley
    And started me on Monday
    I worked eleven hours

The first 21 notes all downhill or the same as the previous note. Whether intentional due to the lyrics or not, it's an arresting start.
    The middle eight is a thing of beauty too. Modulates through several changes to emerge a tone down from the home key, so later ("And now she's two years older") you get a double whammy of a tone-up modulation and return to the original home key. And then that final verse...

Other best middle eight: Nights on Broadway by Bee Gees

Other nomination for late 70s pop perfection: Ever Fallen in Love by Buzzcocks
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Martin10 said:

Brilliant

Have i had sex with your wife...must have been on drugs at the time lol
    Действительно, товарищ
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'd retire on that.
    No more need to speak.

When they still had Vincey baby with them
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I'd retire on that.
    No more need to speak.

I love Rio by Duran Duran
    Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452
    All the things she said by Tatu was of course the best LGBT pop video by a Russian band in recent times, wasn’t it? Great to see those girls exercising their hard-won civil liberties.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    My favourite song: Crossroads performed by Cream, live.
  • Options
    Dizzee Rascal 'Stand up tall'? (2004)
  • Options
    edited November 2022

dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Had absolutely no idea what it was about till a PB discussion some time ago!
    Enjoyed it for many years in innocence...
  • Options
    TimS said:

All the things she said by Tatu was of course the best LGBT pop video by a Russian band in recent times, wasn’t it? Great to see those girls exercising their hard-won civil liberties.

Love that song
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

dixiedean said:

I'd retire on that.
    No more need to speak.

I love Rio by Duran Duran
    Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
    Yep, pure pop, definitely a contender.
  • Options
    Tainted love by softcell was great but a one hit wonder for them
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Probably Man on the Moon or Everybody hurts
  • Options

My favourite Otis Redding song is Tell The Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACNL6WUzqA

Fun fact: the whistling in Dock of the Bay is apparently just filler cos it was only a demo and he hadn't written all the words yet.

Poor Otis, dead and gone.
  • Options
    The Beatles‘ 1968 track ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’ has been declared the most perfect pop song ever written by researchers at the Max Planck Institute in Germany.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-beatles-ob-la-di-ob-la-da-is-the-perfect-pop-song-according-to-science-2574325
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909

The Beatles‘ 1968 track ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’ has been declared the most perfect pop song ever written by researchers at the Max Planck Institute in Germany.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-beatles-ob-la-di-ob-la-da-is-the-perfect-pop-song-according-to-science-2574325

They are clearly wrong.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Or Find the River or anything. If we are moving on to perfect albums, that and After the Gold Rush and Blood on the Tracks.
  • Options
    Promiscupus by Nelky Furtado was great
  • Options
    Martin10 said:

'Say Hello Wave Goodbye' was massive for them as well in 1982 - top 3. Also 'Torch' hugely under rated song 2 in 1982.
  • Options
    A little big up for Lihmahls Neverending Story as he had the nouse to have it fade in as well as fade out
  • Options
    Heard the Byrds version of Mr Tambourine Man in a cafe today.
    Best "make a pop song out of one that really isn't"?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452

dixiedean said:

Orange Crush REM.

Man on the moon fits the autumn Sunday afternoon pub theme, which Everybody Hurts somehow doesn’t (it’s more of an April cruellest month spring track).

I could imagine Man on the Moon piping up behind the bar after Baker Street and Babylon, just before Dido’s White Flag and the Cranberrys’ autumn pub classic Linger.

Now that’s what I call Autumn Pub Classics available to stream or buy, £14.99 on iTunes.
  • Options

Martin10 said:

'Say Hello Wave Goodbye' was massive for them as well in 1982 - top 3. Also 'Torch' hugely under rated song 2 in 1982.
    Bedsitter was also a top 5 hit
  • Options

A little big up for Lihmahls Neverending Story as he had the nouse to have it fade in as well as fade out

Utter top level song!
  • Options

Martin10 said:

Id firgotten that one...good song too
This discussion has been closed.