Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Defection watch – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    Is there an English language channel on which I can watch the Brazilian election?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,592
    Nostalgia trip.

A vintage “Encyclopedia Britannica” Commercial from 1988
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/58920207
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Foxy said:

FYI re the betting for the midterms (which seems to be remarkably absent on this site), not good news for the Democrats

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fewer-young-people-are-voting-early-a-danger-sign-for-democrats/ar-AA13uVyI

The warning signals are piling up here. My gut feel is the GOP will probably end up getting around 54 in the Senate (NV, AZ, GA eventually + 1 'shock' of NH/WA/CO), which is 8/1. If you don't want that, then the majority is 8/15 - a bit boring but probably safe-ish money given Johnson looks to be consolidating his lead in WI and Fetterman blew up last week in the PA debate so you would only need one win elsewhere.

I expect the Republicans will make gains, but struggle to see much betting value to tempt me.

America is such a crazy place politically that I struggle to comprehend it now.

I read that 8 out of the last 9 presidential elections (or perhaps 7 out of 8) were democratic majorities.

It’s only gerrymandering that keeps the Republicans in power.
    Please engage your brain (meant in the nicest possible way). You, of course, know the results below:

1976-80: Dem x1
    1980-92: GOP x3
    92-00: Dem x2
    00-08: GOP x2
    08-16: Dem x 2
    16-20: GOP x1
    20-24: Dem x1

Unless you start claiming the electoral college doesn’t count and therefore the GOP are gerrymandering the claim doesn’t stand.

I haven’t checked the popular vote numbers but I suspect that Hillary beating Trump on popular vote is the claim they are making.

Assuming the electoral college and popular vote lines up in all other cases, the Dems win 6 out of the last 8 contests.

Edit: h/t @Alistair Id forgotten Gore won the popular vote
    The electoral college IS a gerrymander - the smaller Republican states get far more electors per head of population.
    No - a gerrymander is changing the boundaries of a voting district to favour one side or the other.

The electoral college members are selected based on a formula that (I think) is the number of members of the House of Representatives plus the number of Senators. Because the number of Senators is always two regardless of size this favours the smaller states. But it’s not a gerrymander.
    Well, it is, but it was a gerrymander to get Slave States to sign up back at the founding. Many founding fathers wanted a straight popular vote for Presidency but slave states objected. Madison formulated the Electoral Collage and the 3/5ths abomination to get the Slave states on board.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    Nigelb said:

Nostalgia trip.

Wrong link? 🫤
  • Options

Foxy said:

FYI re the betting for the midterms (which seems to be remarkably absent on this site), not good news for the Democrats

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fewer-young-people-are-voting-early-a-danger-sign-for-democrats/ar-AA13uVyI

The warning signals are piling up here. My gut feel is the GOP will probably end up getting around 54 in the Senate (NV, AZ, GA eventually + 1 'shock' of NH/WA/CO), which is 8/1. If you don't want that, then the majority is 8/15 - a bit boring but probably safe-ish money given Johnson looks to be consolidating his lead in WI and Fetterman blew up last week in the PA debate so you would only need one win elsewhere.

I expect the Republicans will make gains, but struggle to see much betting value to tempt me.

I read that 8 out of the last 9 presidential elections (or perhaps 7 out of 8) were democratic majorities.

Please engage your brain (meant in the nicest possible way). You, of course, know the results below:

Unless you start claiming the electoral
    college doesn’t count and therefore the
    GOP are gerrymandering the claim doesn’t stand.

I haven’t checked the popular vote numbers but I suspect that Hillary beating Trump on popular vote is the claim they are making.

Assuming the electoral college and popular vote lines up in all other cases, the Dems win 6 out of the last 8 contests.

The electoral college IS a gerrymander - the smaller Republican states get far more electors per head of population.
    No - a gerrymander is changing the boundaries of a voting district to favour one side or the other.

The electoral college members are selected based on a formula that (I think) is the number of members of the House of Representatives plus the number of Senators. Because the number of Senators is always two
    regardless of size this favours the
    smaller states. But it’s not a gerrymander.
    It's amazing it still needs to be explained re the Senate.

Each state having two Senators was a deliberate move by the Founding Fathers to ensure that the smaller states had some sort of firewall against being dominated by the large populous states.

So, yes, it's entirely designed to make sure it is NOT representative of population (the Senate not the EC votes).

• Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Unless you start claiming the electoral college doesn’t count and therefore the GOP are gerrymandering the claim doesn’t stand.

The electoral college members are selected based on a formula that (I think) is the number of members of the House of Representatives plus the number of Senators. Because the number of Senators is always two regardless of size this favours the smaller states. But it’s not a gerrymander.
    Well, it is, but it was a gerrymander to get Slave States to sign up back at the founding. Many founding fathers wanted a straight popular vote for Presidency but slave states objected. Madison formulated the Electoral Collage and the 3/5ths abomination to get the Slave states on board.
    Nah - still missing the partisan element required from a gerrymander

Your theory just makes it a sub optimal outcome from a negotiation
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Driver said:

Foxy said:

Gerrymandering is specifically changing the boundaries of electoral districts to benefit the party doing the drawing.

Whatever the Electoral College is, it's not that.
    People do tend to use it in a broader sense of a perceived institutional or procedural unfairness thesedays, but I think that can just confuse matters.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nostalgia trip.

Wrong link? 🫤
    Oops.
    https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1586089226084524033

:)
  • Options

Foxy said:

The electoral college members are selected based on a formula that (I think) is the number of members of the House of Representatives plus the number of Senators. Because the number of Senators is always two

Each state having two Senators was a deliberate move by the Founding Fathers to ensure that the smaller states had some sort of firewall against being dominated by the large populous states.

So, yes, it's entirely designed to make sure it is NOT representative of population (the Senate not the EC votes).

Sure. But most partisans who advance the popular vote argument are relying on the bulk of people not being aware of their constitutional history
  • Options

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's going to be closer than we thought.

https://twitter.com/patrickjfl/status/1586824630232391684

Something seems wrong about using the approach to project but I can't quite put my finger on it.

EDIT: got it, it's going to favour the smaller Bolsonaro heavy areas for the moment which he is doing well in. I think this projection is going to swing heavily.
    If it's swing based, surely that's less of a concern. For Bolsonaro to overtake Lula, he logically wins votes everywhere.
    I think it's Minas Gerais that highlights my issues

B won it 58/42 in 2018. It's currently 50/50 which "logically" seems really bad for him.
    But at the start of the month he got 43.5% there so by patrickjfl that's really good for him.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Someone was asking for a definition of Woke-ism the other day.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1586676603823742981

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    "Woke" or radical progressivism erodes liberalism bc

1 elevates group over individual, we are no more than fixed race/sex/gender ID groups
    2 elevates 'lived experience' over scientific method & curtails free speech
    3 not just critical but cynical of ways of life that unite us
    Quote Tweet
    John Pavlovitz
    @johnpavlovitz
    ·
    Oct 26
    Using "woke" as a pejorative term is an iron-clad tell that you lack human empathy and find other's suffering of no concern.

Prove me wrong.
    11:09 AM · Oct 30, 2022
    ·Twitter Web App"

Goodwin is an exceptionally shallow thinker, isn't he? What a load of garbage. I thought standards at British universities were meant to be high.
    He’s someone who defines himself against the prevailing norms. That can sometimes be valuable, but not when you just slip into the other lot of mirror image prevailing norms on the other side of the culture wars, which he does.

On a very not related topic, having just listened twice through the Now 90s Dancefloor compendium I am confident that the greatest dance anthem of all time is, despite strong competition from the likes of Urban Cookie Collective, “Set You Free” by N-Trance. Transcendent.

Said compilation album is a treasure trove. Dr Alban, Haddaway, Faithless, Underworld, 2 unlimited. They’re all there.
    Not so sure I agree with your first sentence. Surely Goodwin's anti-wokeism is in line with the prevailing norms, rather than against them?
    He defines himself against what he sees as the prevailing norms. To be fair in academia he will definitely be an outlier.

But more importantly what about N-Trance?
    I have just watched/listened on YouTube. Yes, a good track, but a bit safe.

In the video, I particularly enjoyed the bit where Ms Trance flails out of the side window of the car.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Nigelb said:

Nostalgia trip.

I'd love to own a complete set.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    After the 23rd amendment was ratified in 1961, Washington, D.C. got three votes in the electoral college. (One unfortunate consequence of this is that ties are now possible.)
  • Options
    Hopefully you can see this:

https://imgur.com/a/hR8Xy40

The blue line is Lula's second round lead, as we head towards 100% counted.

You can see that Lula MIGHT be caught by the grey line. The grey line is his lead in the first round.

To lose, Lula would have to be caught by the yellow line.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Is there an English language channel on which I can watch the Brazilian election?

I don't know but it's annoying that YouTube seem to have disabled live subtitles translated into other languages. I used to watch election night programmes in foreign languages and be able to follow them because of the subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7RjmSHZsGk
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sure. But most partisans who advance the popular vote argument are relying on the bulk of people not being aware of their constitutional history
    In later years a lot of the Founding Fathers wanted to abolish the electoral collage. Madison hated it. But they were stymied by the fact they had made it so hard to get Constitutional Amendments passed.

They were mostly a big bunch of idiots who failed to spot the very obvious flaws in the systems they were creating.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,605

TimS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Someone was asking for a definition of Woke-ism the other day.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1586676603823742981

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ
    "Woke" or radical progressivism erodes liberalism bc

1 elevates group over individual, we are no more than fixed race/sex/gender ID groups
    2 elevates 'lived experience' over scientific method & curtails free speech
    3 not just critical but cynical of ways of life that unite us
    Quote Tweet
    John Pavlovitz
    @johnpavlovitz
    ·
    Oct 26
    Using "woke" as a pejorative term is an iron-clad tell that you lack human empathy and find other's suffering of no concern.

Prove me wrong.
    11:09 AM · Oct 30, 2022
    ·Twitter Web App"

Goodwin is an exceptionally shallow thinker, isn't he? What a load of garbage. I thought standards at British universities were meant to be high.
    He’s someone who defines himself against the prevailing norms. That can sometimes be valuable, but not when you just slip into the other lot of mirror image prevailing norms on the other side of the culture wars, which he does.

On a very not related topic, having just listened twice through the Now 90s Dancefloor compendium I am confident that the greatest dance anthem of all time is, despite strong competition from the likes of Urban Cookie Collective, “Set You Free” by N-Trance. Transcendent.

Said compilation album is a treasure trove. Dr Alban, Haddaway, Faithless, Underworld, 2 unlimited. They’re all there.
    Not so sure I agree with your first sentence. Surely Goodwin's anti-wokeism is in line with the prevailing norms, rather than against them?
    He defines himself against what he sees as the prevailing norms. To be fair in academia he will definitely be an outlier.

But more importantly what about N-Trance?
    I have just watched/listened on YouTube. Yes, a good track, but a bit safe.

In the video, I particularly enjoyed the bit where Ms Trance flails out of the side window of the car.
    She was apparently a friend of theirs at university. They asked her to film it driving around Nottingham.
  • Options

After the 23rd amendment was ratified in 1961, Washington, D.C. got three votes in the electoral college. (One unfortunate consequence of this is that ties are now possible.)

Why was Washington DC disenfranchised in the first place?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited October 2022
    Espirito Santo, 98% counted, Bolsonaro 58%, 63% in 2018

Tocantins, 97% counted, B 49%, 49% 2018.

Lula very close to crossover but his rate of advance seems to be slowing?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

In later years a lot of the Founding Fathers wanted to abolish the electoral collage. Madison hated it. But they were stymied by the fact they had made it so hard to get Constitutional Amendments passed.

They were mostly a big bunch of idiots who failed to spot the very obvious flaws in the systems they were creating.
    I think the durability of the system even with its flaws for so long is pretty remarkable honestly.
  • Options
    Bolsano out to 10 on Betfair

Presume the Oracle of Norfolk @wooliedyed is shovelling on?
  • Options

Hopefully you can see this:

https://imgur.com/a/hR8Xy40

The blue line is Lula's second round lead, as we head towards 100% counted.

You can see that Lula MIGHT be caught by the grey line. The grey line is his lead in the first round.

To lose, Lula would have to be caught by the yellow line.

Really useful thanks. Looks like Lula will end up very close to the grey line doesn't it?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    7h
    Far more important, is the Russian hope that the US midterm elections bring Republican control to both the House and the Senate. Such a victory, but a party still dominated by its Trumpist core, would provide real hope for an eventual reduction in US support for Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1586715642375331844
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

An aspiring pedant asks, wouldn't it be unenfrancised rather than disenfranchised?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

That’s a bit harsh - they were pioneers and it’s difficult to get it right first time. The amendment issue is the one they messed up on - although I understand why they did it (we forget that the federal government is the subordinate of the states)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2022

Following the Google results link I get to this page. This looks different to what’s being discussed here. What’s the discrepancy?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

I think the durability of the system even with its flaws for so long is pretty remarkable honestly.
    I mean. If you ignore the whole part where the very obviously flaws lead to the Civil War that was predicted to happen and the ugly political compromises that were made in the wake of that war as durable then sure.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Most people generally, and its certainly true here as well, are unaware of their constitutional history, as you suggest. Those who want want to change it may well be more aware than most, so a distinction would be needed I think between those who argue X should be the case in ignorance of the system deliberately being set up for reason Y, and those who argue X should be the case because they do not agree with reason Y.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited October 2022
    Crossover in votes counted.
    67.8% votes in.
    Lula 50.01 %.
    Bolsonaro 49.99 %.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It’s not a state, just a district. The reason was that having the capital in any state would give that state undue power, so a little piece was carved out of Virginia

(IIRC it was a deal that Hamilton did with Virgina to get their support for the federal reserve system. Such is politics 😳)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Following the Google results link I get to this page. This looks different to what’s being discussed here. What’s the discrepancy?

Those are the figures I'm using.
  • Options
    Lula has 50.01%
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's going to be closer than we thought.

https://twitter.com/patrickjfl/status/1586824630232391684

Something seems wrong about using the approach to project but I can't quite put my finger on it.

EDIT: got it, it's going to favour the smaller Bolsonaro heavy areas for the moment which he is doing well in. I think this projection is going to swing heavily.
    If it's swing based, surely that's less of a concern. For Bolsonaro to overtake Lula, he logically wins votes everywhere.
    I think it's Minas Gerais that highlights my issues

B won it 58/42 in 2018. It's currently 50/50 which "logically" seems really bad for him.
    But at the start of the month he got 43.5% there so by patrickjfl that's really good for him.
    If we look at swing since the first round about 7 states seem to be showing enough to Bolsonaro for him to win. Minas Gerais is one of those showing a swing to him but not quite enough. Then there are a few (perhaps 8 or 9) showing a swing to Lula.
  • Options
    Andy_JS asked: "Why was Washington DC disenfranchised in the first place?"

"In his Federalist No. 43, published January 23, 1788, James Madison argued that the new federal government would need authority over a national capital to provide for its own maintenance and safety.[21] The Pennsylvania Mutiny of 1783, emphasized the need for the national government not to rely on any state for its own security."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.

(I favor reducing the federal district to the smallest practical size, by returning almost all of the district to Maryland.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Most people generally, and its certainly true here as well, are unaware of their constitutional history, as you suggest. Those who want want to change it may well be more aware than most, so a distinction would be needed I think between those who argue X should be the case in ignorance of the system deliberately being set up for reason Y, and those who argue X should be the case because they do not agree with reason Y.
    Most arguments in this case are just “X got more votes than Y!!! It’s wrong Y is president! Evil Republicans!”

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Andy_JS said:

It’s not a state, just a district. The reason was that having the capital in any state would give that state undue power, so a little piece was carved out of Virginia

(IIRC it was a deal that Hamilton did with Virgina to get their support for the federal reserve system. Such is politics 😳)
    In the interests of absolute pedantry:

What is now Washington DC was in fact carved out of Maryland, although the original district did include an area in Virginia.
  • Options
    Lula now under his first round lead, at this stage. But still good enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

I mean. If you ignore the whole part where the very obviously flaws lead to the Civil War that was predicted to happen and the ugly political compromises that were made in the wake of that war as durable then sure.
    I'm not ignoring it at all - a political system surviving a major civil war, and some pretty major changes to it as a result (and indeed some other changes over the years), yet maintaining systemic continuity, is pretty unusual I'd say.

Think how many countries have entirely new constitutions, different legislative systems, heads of state and government, or complete system breakdown and collapse, across a 250 year period.

I think most people would agree there are and always have been some major flaws in the US system, and some major ructions (to put it mildly), but for a pretty short series of documents pulled together at the start and some bolted on adjustments of various sizes over the years, the system is still quite recognizable from its foundation, even though it is different.

That seems pretty durable to me. What you raise is not an issue of durability, but system flaws, which is not the same thing. The Roman Empire was pretty durable too, and its flaws led to far more disruption and chaos.
  • Options

"In his Federalist No. 43, published January 23, 1788, James Madison argued that the new federal government would need authority over a national capital to provide for its own maintenance and safety.[21] The Pennsylvania Mutiny of 1783, emphasized the need for the national government not to rely on any state for its own security."

(I favor reducing the federal district to the smallest practical size, by returning almost all of the district to Maryland.)

It was also not expected that any voters would live there permanently. It was assumed a few gentlemen would turn up, conduct their business and sod off while slaves and/or women kept the houses from falling down.
  • Options

Pretty daft that the US is still in thrall to the slave owners’ compromises.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it used to have a very small population compared to now.
  • Options
    StillWaters said: "It’s not a state, just a district. The reason was that having the capital in any state would give that state undue power, so a little piece was carved out of Virginia."

Actually pieces were carved out of both Virginia and Maryland, and in 1846 Virginia piece was returned in a "retrocession".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
  • Options
    Currently have £1,900 staked on Lula... biggest bet I've made, by about double.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

I'm not ignoring it at all - a political system surviving a major civil war, and some pretty major changes to it as a result (and indeed some other changes over the years), yet maintaining systemic continuity, is pretty unusual I'd say.

Think how many countries have entirely new constitutions, different legislative systems, heads of state and government, or complete system breakdown and collapse, across a 250 year period.

I think most people would agree there are and always have been some major flaws in the US system, and some major ructions (to put it mildly), but for a pretty short series of documents pulled together at the start and some bolted on adjustments of various sizes over the years, the system is still quite recognizable from its foundation, even though it is different.

That seems pretty durable to me. What you raise is not an issue of durability, but system flaws, which is not the same thing. The Roman Empire was pretty durable too, and its flaws led to far more disruption and chaos.
    Isn't that what we're complaining about?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited October 2022

He's into 1.05 are you tempted to cash out?

Gut feeling he ends up somewhere around 51%.
  • Options

I do like that the answer appears to basically be about lack of trust and cobbling together solutions. Given how robust the nation and its identity became, it would be easy to forget how big a gamble the whole business of nation building can be!
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

About the same as me...

So. To lay or not?
  • Options

Not really. I've updated the data 87 times, 85 of them had Lula going forwards. The other two were at the start. He's on an 85-streak.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kle4 said:

I do like that the answer appears to basically be about lack of trust and cobbling together solutions. Given how robust the nation and its identity became, it would be easy to forget how big a gamble the whole business of nation building can be!
    The US system makes sense in the context of non-centralised powerful state government. However the power of the federal government in the modern age makes the discrepancy between the popular vote and the electoral college pretty stark.
  • Options
    The extra hour coming in handy here. If this were 11pm, with work tomorrow, I would be cashing out.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Isn't that what we're complaining about?
    Certainly I think treating constitutional fudges of the 1770s and 80s as holy writ (but only if your interpretation of them fits your political agenda) is not helpful.

I extol the virtues of our own messed up arrangements over the US's all the time. But I think so much of the early stuff still being in there is impressive in respect of the drafters, even if we disagree with what's in there.
  • Options

Not really. I've updated the data 87 times, 85 of them had Lula going forwards. The other two were at the start. He's on an 85-streak.
    Well, respect due. And to Balrog.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Eked out a shitty £38.07 all green on Lula from dumb trading.

Pays for a meal, I guess.

Woah. What you going to cream from that?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Most arguments in this case are just “X got more votes than Y!!! It’s wrong Y is president! Evil Republicans!”
    Well, it has the virtue of simplicity I guess.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

kle4 said:

The US system makes sense in the context of non-centralised powerful state government. However the power of the federal government in the modern age makes the discrepancy between the popular vote and the electoral college pretty stark.
    In 2020 there wasn't much discrepancy, in fact if anything it was for Biden.

Biden won 56% of EC votes but only 51.3% of the popular vote (indeed almost identical to Lula's current popular voteshare in Brazil)
  • Options

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Lula 50.29% with 79% in.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Biden won 56% of EC votes but only 51.3% of the popular vote
    You're missing the point, as usual. The point is that a tiny number of voters in the context of the whole election can swing the entire result, regardless of the overall popular vote.

The size of victory in the EC is irrelevant to the result.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

As DC says, cashing out might be a good choice. But DYOR.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

What is now Washington DC was in fact carved out of Maryland, although the original district did include an area in Virginia.
    In the interests of absolutist fundamental pedantry…

Nowhere did I say that Virginia was the *only* state that ceded territory to create the District…

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You're missing the point, as usual. The point is that a tiny number of voters in the context of the whole election can swing the entire result, regardless of the overall popular vote.
    Much like our FPTP but with 54 constituencies (I think).
  • Options
    My prediction from yesterday of Lula 51% is looking pretty good at the moment.
  • Options

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    Great work 👏
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

As DC says, cashing out might be a good choice. But DYOR.
    He has done his own research.

My research was to ask him about his research.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2022

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    Great work 👏
    Not there yet! Watching it all the way.

(Checks BF rules)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Much like our FPTP but with 54 constituencies (I think).
    True, although the size of victory (in terms of seats) does matter in our system.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well so what, neither Clinton nor Gore got over 50% of the popular vote unlike Biden.

If there is no clear popular vote mandate, the EC ensures the winner reflects the view of the majority of US states, not just what the most populous coasts think
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    So Lula's going to win then?
    I've been out.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Indeed. What could be simpler than "all votes should count equally"?
  • Options
    Lots of votes still to come from Rio and Sao Paulo where Bolsonaro is ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2022/oct/30/brazil-election-2022-live-results-lula-bolsonaro-runoff
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lula added quite a lot from this point in the 1st round. But he is now definitely underperforming that.

51 to 53% all seems possible.

Not a knockout...
  • Options
    Well, this will repair my Cons leadership election Mk2 loss.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well so what, neither Clinton nor Gore got over 50% of the popular vote unlike Biden.

If there is no clear popular vote mandate, the EC ensures the winner reflects the view of the majority of US states, not just what the most populous coasts think
    What usually matters in a democracy is the view of the majority of people, not arbitrary lines on a map.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    500 roadblocks set up by Brazilian Police despite them being prohibited.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Most of the protagonists could easily drop the first two sentences to make it even simpler
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

In the interests of absolutist fundamental pedantry…

Nowhere did I say that Virginia was the *only* state that ceded territory to create the District…

Here's what you said:

'a little piece was carved out of Virginia'

Which is true, but misleading. Because the main piece was carved out of Maryland.
  • Options

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    I make 1006 if I win. Or looks like about 900 locked in if I put some money on Bolsenaro
  • Options
    50.41% for Lula with 85% in.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Most of the protagonists could easily drop the first two sentences to make it even simpler
    That's be more a script for a weekly political comedy show.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    Andy_JS said:

It may even end up 52-48 ...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    dixiedean said:

So Lula's going to win then?
    I've been out.

Probably but at the moment it is heading for the closest Brazilian Presidential election since the end of military rule in 1985, so don't expect Bolsonaro to concede anytime soon
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

Andy_JS said:

Lula added quite a lot from this point in the 1st round. But he is now definitely underperforming that.

51 to 53% all seems possible.

Not a knockout...
    Countdown to Donald Trump claiming that Bolsonaro was robbed...
  • Options
    Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    17m
    Replying to
    @Samfr
    Lula ahead in the raw vote count now. Shouldn't be anyway back for Bolsonaro. Still 🤞🤞
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    I make 1006 if I win. Or looks like about 900 locked in if I put some money on Bolsenaro
    A win worthy of the name of the site!
  • Options
    Can I just say how pleasant it was not to have a weekend full of Conservative party leadership speculation. Is it too much to wish for a period of calm before the inevitable Winter crises?
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    Superb!
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

What usually matters in a democracy is the view of the majority of people, not arbitrary lines on a map.
    The Founding Fathers were also seeking to reduce the risk of civil war or the breakup of the Union, which if smaller states get consistently ignored would be a stronger possibility.

Most democracies are also representative not direct democracies, otherwise majority opinions on the death penalty and high taxes on the rich would get more weight
  • Options
    I'm heading for a win of the grand total of £1.36 on the Brazilian election. Can't remember placing any bets but evidently I did at some point.
  • Options
    All over.

Cashed out and going to bed.

Well done to @Balrog and @TheWhiteRabbit
  • Options

Balrog said:

Not enough!

+£376

(cash out £269)
    A win worthy of the name of the site!
    I can't remember who it was that recommended the bet about ten days ago. I know pretty much nothing about Brazil.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm heading for a win of the grand total of £1.36 on the Brazilian election. Can't remember placing any bets but evidently I did at some point.

Live it large!
  • Options
    Fun US fact. Through the entire life of the USA the Size of the House of Representatives increased as the population increased (wee blip around the Civil war). Every census was followed by an expansion of the chamber.

Until the start of the 1900s. At that point they stopped voting to expand the chamber. By amazing coincidence that was the first census to show more Americas living in Urban areas that Rural areas.
  • Options
    The Electoral College is a deeply silly system, but fun. It’s the ultimate political nerd’s real-life board game.

It’s even less sensible than FPP, because under FPP you are actually electing MPs, rather than mere tokens towards a magical 538 winning post.
  • Options
    50.50% i.e. 1.0% lead with 88.3% counted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Founding Fathers were also seeking to reduce the risk of civil war or the breakup of the Union, which if smaller states get consistently ignored would be a stronger possibility
    Back when the nation was about the States, not the federal government. The federal government is now much more powerful than ever envisaged, so really what the Founding Fathers thought is not relevant.
  • Options
    This 2nd round feels a lot like Pennsylvania 2020 just not as extreme on the betting market (where Trump was strong favourite as the votes were being counted).
  • Options

New president thread

• Options
    A day early, but who are we to quibble...

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Congratters!
This discussion has been closed.