Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The establishment cost PBers a 250/1 winner – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Alistair said:

Apart from the USA…..(which the tweeter acknowledges would break the scale if it was on the chart)

Europe’s security is being paid for by the UK and Poland and on a per capita basis Denmark and Estonia and Lithuania.

https://twitter.com/danielkorski/status/1586622730920673280

One thing to pay attention to is that Germany is doing a lot of "Indirect" aid which graphs like these may or may not capture. They are providing replacement kit to Eastern European nations who transfer stuff to Ukraine.

So Slovenia transfer a bunch of M-55S (shite tank but Ukraine will take it) and Germany then supply Slovenia with equipment as replacement.
    Carlotta is not interested in a fair and balanced representation of the facts. The account is used purely for propaganda purposes.
    Tory Government mouthpiece , as you say pure propaganda and particularly anti Scottish to boot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Thingvellir. Where two continents divorce and a chasm fills with tourists

Been there, done that. Is it necessary to fill the chasm with tourists? Does it stop working if they don't? Just have this vision of the earth gobbling them all up.

PS @Leon can you reply to my questions yesterday re how this journalism stuff works. Genuinely interested in the finances as I don't have a clue, although another poster gave what appeared to be a very good reply. I linked the question to @Leon so it should be easy to see.
    I think you've got it the wrong way around: the Tourists bubble up naturally from the centre of the earth. That's why there are so many tourists in Iceland.
    So that's how I got here
    Its a lot more believable than the stork thing, that's for sure.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150

kjh said:

Leon said:

Our Icelandic guide has just casually mentioned that his “great grandmother was eaten by a polar bear”

Think s/he might be winding you up. Polar bears do not live in Iceland. They occasionally arrive by accident. Looked it up and it is about one every couple of years. You have really got to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get eaten by one, or not be in Iceland of course.
    Are up off to the geyser by chance next? Did it yesterday! Currently doing the hike to the volcano that isn't erupting

18 seconds ago

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Shashank Joshi
    @shashj
    ·
    11m
    Russia’s abandonment of the grain deal and threat to cargo is going to hurt many of those sympathetic to Moscow. “almost half of exports have gone to middle- or low-income countries in Africa and Asia”

https://twitter.com/shashj
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/192c94d8-56e9-11ed-8e9a-37443e2955cd?shareToken=c509b748a07df0b8f8748e90beefb95b

Great article from The Times. Gives people a good background into the driving force of success for British Indians and Hindus. The UK could learn a lot from our cultural values, hopefully Rishi is able to impart some on the wider nation.

In case anyone doesn't want to read it, the three keys are education, family and education. In that order. Every single one of my cousins is degree educated and all of them work in higher professional jobs or own and run businesses. There's simply no option of failure given to us as kids, parental support in education, high expectations and ongoing support after university are key to all of us being successful. White British families could learn a lot.

There was a time when Scotland was like that, with a massive emphasis on education and a huge desire to "get on". It's tragic how far we have fallen away from those cultural values to those of envy and bitterness. I really don't know how it happened but it is in my lifetime. My parents and my wife's parents would recognise and endorse the values you espouse in a heartbeat.
    Welfarism, the state replacing the role of families in being a safety net. The drive to not fail in life diminishes when the state says it's no problem to fail. And our safety net is laughably generous. It's become a way of life for people who stack excuse upon excuse for why they can't work when the reality is that they don't want to.
    I can see why those tory party members thought you were "one of the good ones."

I don't wanna sound unduly combative, but you have lucked in to a ludicrously overpaid job which adds zero to society and takes relatively little in the way of skill and aptitude, it's the kind of thing all the least interesting people I knew at Oxford do. The lucking in - I wouldn't normally make this point but it is thoroughly relevant to your claims - is thanks to this country, bond trading being less of a thing on the subcontinent - and your signature posting style is to shit on the old and poor for not being old and poor enough. If that's Hindu values, I have a suggestion as to where you can put them.
    His daddy got him it as well, was an old chum that interviewed him as he bragged on here many moons ago.
  • Options
    This geyser is fucking brilliant
  • Options
    glw said:

What security implications? The implications are that the government (whether that means HMG or MI5 or Liz Truss or anyone else) messed up. There are no great security implications because the KGB already knows what phones the KGB hacked. Official embarrassment is not the same as national security.

Given that the state-of-the-art for malware is zero-click zero-day attacks the only sense that someone has messed up is in having a phone at all. So unless you literrally ban public officials from having phones you are going to have these sort of problems.
    If it was Truss and Truss only (and I've mentioned that no-one has reported checking all the other phones) then it was presumably targeted at Truss specifically, either by sophisticated spear-phishing or by someone who gained physical access to her phone. Now that is worrying, but reporting it would hardly endanger national security.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/192c94d8-56e9-11ed-8e9a-37443e2955cd?shareToken=c509b748a07df0b8f8748e90beefb95b

Great article from The Times. Gives people a good background into the driving force of success for British Indians and Hindus. The UK could learn a lot from our cultural values, hopefully Rishi is able to impart some on the wider nation.

In case anyone doesn't want to read it, the three keys are education, family and education. In that order. Every single one of my cousins is degree educated and all of them work in higher professional jobs or own and run businesses. There's simply no option of failure given to us as kids, parental support in education, high expectations and ongoing support after university are key to all of us being successful. White British families could learn a lot.

Are you saying if you don't own your own business or work in "higher professional jobs" then that's failure?
    Yes.
    I see.
    Well, I'm sure "White British families" will be eager for more of your lessons. Any day now.
    They should be, not mine, the Hindu community that has gone from having nothing when arriving in the 60s and 70s to being the second highest earning religious group, the first non white PM and quite simply the backbone of the NHS. If people don't want to learn from that then more fool them.
    I'm sure there's lots to learn from them as there is from many people - it's always great to open your mind to how other people live. I do wonder whether at least as important as the specific cultural values of Hinduism is the fact that immigrant communities are a self selecting group with a predisposition to hard work, sacrifice and taking risks? After all, if Hindus as a group were the most devoted people in the world as far as education is concerned then presumably India wouldn't have a terrible public education system and be full of illiterates?
    I disagree with your view that anyone who doesn't earn big bucks or join a profession is a failure, BTW. That's a pretty small minded and narrow view of what constitutes success. Perhaps the learning process could go both ways?
    In general, I think Hindus were disproportionately drawn from professional classes when they arrived here, especially those who came from East Africa, so it was natural that they should do well. They seem to have avoided a lot of the problems that can afflict the children of professional people, too.

Other groups that do well for similar reasons are Chinese and Nigerians.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

What is a 'news blackout' in this context, and how does the Head of the Civil Service go about imposing one? Does he just say to the media 'Oy lads, this Russia hacks Truss's phone story - No.'?

I know about super-injunctions and I don't really approve, but that is at least some sort of legal process.

Downthread there is also mention of the media sitting on stories about Bojo that may re-emerge if he runs for PM again. Why are they sitting on them, and at whos request? Why is that in the public interest?

D-Notice.

It wouldnt be out now if there were a D notice, the Mail arent that brave
    One assumes any blackout would now be rescinded because Truss is gone and negative stories about her suit the current Government.
    The story is from a 'source' though, not something that was clearly known but under suppression. Otherwise the Mail would say 'we found out about this in August but were prevented from running the story'
    This is an enormous dead cat. I'll wager there was nothing national security related, just some *ahem* and some 'apres Boris, c'est moi'
    Its been tweaked to achieve a goal
    You are so desperate for this not to be a real and substantial story as it clearly is, you are replying to your own posts about it.

All stories are from sources so what is your point?
    I meant to reply to Luckyguy but there you go, im a tool.
    My point is if this was being suppressed via D Notice by Case then it wouldn't now be out, and if the info retrieved was of blackmail/national security level it absolutely eould be under D notice. That not being the case and a mystery 'source' briefing the Mail then its clearly a much lesser issue being used for a purpose - probably to distract from Suella issues.
    There is no way a source is annonymously briefing the Mail on something with massive national security implication and the government not be in utter panic and 'blackout everything to do with this' mode.
    The opposition also would be very careful if there were proper, serious implications.
    Im not 'desperate for it not to be a big story', im trying to identify the actual story/issue
    BBC

"There are immensely important national security issues raised by an attack like this by a hostile state which will have been taken extremely seriously by our intelligence and security agencies," said shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper.

"There are also serious security questions around why and how this information has been leaked or released right now which must also be urgently investigated."

The Mail on Sunday reported agents suspected of working for Russia had been responsible for the alleged hacking, citing unnamed sources, but the BBC has not been able to verify this."

That last sentence implies to me that the BBC *has* independently verified the other elements of the story.
  • Options

If the story was only embargoed here why wasn't it reported anywhere else? Same with this 'Finland' rubbish.

If the Truss phone story was the Finland rumour then it was reported elsewhere.
    This story is very tame, compared to what I heard about Finland.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,658
    "Woke" or radical progressivism erodes liberalism bc

1 elevates group over individual, we are no more than fixed race/sex/gender ID groups
    2 elevates 'lived experience' over scientific method & curtails free speech
    3 not just critical but cynical of ways of life that unite us

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1586676603823742981
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

There was a time when Scotland was like that, with a massive emphasis on education and a huge desire to "get on". It's tragic how far we have fallen away from those cultural values to those of envy and bitterness. I really don't know how it happened but it is in my lifetime. My parents and my wife's parents would recognise and endorse the values you espouse in a heartbeat.
    But Hinduism is growing in Scotland. I don't get it. How can Max's heralds of right living be on the up at the same time it's all going to rack and ruin? At least one of you must be wrong.
    That is nonsense. Hindus are very much on the up because their cultural values give them an edge over the indigenous population but one is not incompatible with the other. In the 20 years we had kids at DHS we saw Hindus go from a tiny minority to a significant presence in the school. Their parents were completely up for sacrifices to ensure that their kids got a proper education. They are the doctors, lawyers and accountants of the next generation. Already they are disproportionately more professional and earn significantly more than the average.

The problem Scotland has is that there are not enough Hindus, or people who share those values, to carry the rest. And we have a government whose main focus is finding reasons to whine about the Union and how unfair everything is.
    David, you trying to say the small Tory contingent of absolute losers in Holyrood would benefit Scotland in any way shape or form. Better we shoot one foot off rather than let the Tories ahck both feet off and come back for our eyeballs.
    No Malcolm, I have already accepted that the Unionists are no better than the nationalists about this, both focus on blaming someone else and don't accept the consequences of their actions.

I am bemoaning the lack of drive in Scotland, the ambition to succeed and build a new business, to get wealthy. People like that are no longer admired in our society as they once were. They are regarded as exploiters who think that they are somehow better than the rest and, to the extent that they do succeed, should be paying a lot more in taxes.

It is a major problem for us, whether as part of the UK or as an independent nation. The generations of Scots who went out there and changed the world are a distant memory indeed. We need to rediscover our Calvinist work ethic without the loony religion that came with it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

But Hinduism is growing in Scotland. I don't get it. How can Max's heralds of right living be on the up at the same time it's all going to rack and ruin? At least one of you must be wrong.
    Perhaps the extreme nationalism of Hinduism as expressed in Modi’s India is reflected in the rise of the SNP? It’s all beginning to make sense!
    LOL
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If the story was only embargoed here why wasn't it reported anywhere else? Same with this 'Finland' rubbish.

What did you hear about Finland (that you can post without OGH getting into trouble)?

For arguments sake, it involves the characters from The Magic Roundabout, Florence, Dougal, Brian, Ermintrude and Zebedee…..
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Are you saying if you don't own your own business or work in "higher professional jobs" then that's failure?
    Yes.
    I see.
    Well, I'm sure "White British families" will be eager for more of your lessons. Any day now.
    In New York they have a selective state school for the best and brightest. Despite considerable efforts, the number of Chinese students continues to rise. To the point that some quite liberal people want a cap on the number of Chinese students, to leave space for “other ethnic minorities”
    My daughter recently passed her 11+ to attend a grammar school. It is over 30% English-as-a-second language and around 50% non-white. Trafford has its minorities, but the non-whites are massively overrepresented at grammar schools.
    My secondary school was just under half Jewish, so you can imagine how intellectually challenging it was just to be middle of the pack, there.
  • Options
    For all their respective failings, I have more sympathy for the Obama nostalgists than the Tony Blair ones.
    'Who's got your backs?' isn't a bad campaign slogan.

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1586493160896749568?s=20&t=XfLgLjRFDOQcUjNh35zDvw
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What did you hear about Finland (that you can post without OGH getting into trouble)?

For arguments sake, it involves the characters from The Magic Roundabout, Florence, Dougal, Brian, Ermintrude and Zebedee…..
    I'm afraid it can't be posted in a public place.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

That is nonsense. Hindus are very much on the up because their cultural values give them an edge over the indigenous population but one is not incompatible with the other. In the 20 years we had kids at DHS we saw Hindus go from a tiny minority to a significant presence in the school. Their parents were completely up for sacrifices to ensure that their kids got a proper education. They are the doctors, lawyers and accountants of the next generation. Already they are disproportionately more professional and earn significantly more than the average.

The problem Scotland has is that there are not enough Hindus, or people who share those values, to carry the rest. And we have a government whose main focus is finding reasons to whine about the Union and how unfair everything is.
    David, you trying to say the small Tory contingent of absolute losers in Holyrood would benefit Scotland in any way shape or form. Better we shoot one foot off rather than let the Tories ahck both feet off and come back for our eyeballs.
    No Malcolm, I have already accepted that the Unionists are no better than the nationalists about this, both focus on blaming someone else and don't accept the consequences of their actions.

I am bemoaning the lack of drive in Scotland, the ambition to succeed and build a new business, to get wealthy. People like that are no longer admired in our society as they once were. They are regarded as exploiters who think that they are somehow better than the rest and, to the extent that they do succeed, should be paying a lot more in taxes.

It is a major problem for us, whether as part of the UK or as an independent nation. The generations of Scots who went out there and changed the world are a distant memory indeed. We need to rediscover our Calvinist work ethic without the loony religion that came with it.
    Not a Grand Theft Auto fan?
  • Options

"Woke" or radical progressivism erodes liberalism bc

1 elevates group over individual, we are no more than fixed race/sex/gender ID groups
    2 elevates 'lived experience' over scientific method & curtails free speech
    3 not just critical but cynical of ways of life that unite us

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1586676603823742981

Bet Gooders is raging at whichever curtailer of free speech it was who deleted all his pro Trump tweets.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.
    I see.
    They should be, not mine, the Hindu community that has gone from having nothing when arriving in the 60s and 70s to being the second highest earning religious group, the first non white PM and quite simply the backbone of the NHS. If people don't want to learn from that then more fool them.
    I'm sure there's lots to learn from them as there is from many people - it's always great to open your mind to how other people live. I do wonder whether at least as important as the specific cultural values of Hinduism is the fact that immigrant communities are a self selecting group with a predisposition to hard work, sacrifice and taking risks? After all, if Hindus as a group were the most devoted people in the world as far as education is concerned then presumably India wouldn't have a terrible public education system and be full of illiterates?
    I disagree with your view that anyone who doesn't earn big bucks or join a profession is a failure, BTW. That's a pretty small minded and narrow view of what constitutes success. Perhaps the learning process could go both ways?
    This is exactly right. I wanted to say the same earlier but I remembered Max is a cretin so didn't waste my time.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Sean_F said:

We don't know exactly what information was compromised and the damage it did or whether Truss was disregarding security protocols.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

For all their respective failings, I have more sympathy for the Obama nostalgists than the Tony Blair ones.

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1586493160896749568?s=20&t=XfLgLjRFDOQcUjNh35zDvw

He's had plenty of time to think about what he should have run on instead of the thing he did that gave the GOP all the swing state statehouses and the ability to gerrymander everything forever, namely

If you want the car to go forwards you put it in D! If you want the car to go backwards you put it in R!
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

"Finland" has absolutely nothing to do with the Truss phone story.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

alex_ said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Next time Andrew Sullivan is on the BBC telling us about left wing domination of US media, they might ask him about the Fox reaction to the Pelosi story.
    And the lack of interest of some of the 'liberal' media.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jesseltaylor/status/1586496754408644608
    Pretty sure the NYT will end up having devoted more time and resources to Sarah Huckabee Sanders being asked to leave a restaurant than an assassination attempt on the Speaker of the House

You may well discover there are *reasons* this story is being underplayed
    What you mean is that the MAGA/right wing echo chamber has gone into overdrive to try to deflect blame from themselves, seizing on a couple of misreported and/or misrepresented “facts” in the initial aftermath (since debunked/withdrawn as inaccurate) to create a vast fantastical conspiracy which is a million miles from the highly likely and most obvious version of events.

Because when the obvious version of events doesn’t paint MAGA and its followers in a good light they have to create an alternative version (or several for when each one falls by the wayside).
    Indeed. There’s already been a bot attack on Wikipedia trying to push a false flag narrative.

Of course, Alex Jones made false flag claims about a different event and now owes nearly a billion dollars in libel damages. I hope no-one here is stupid enough to drag PB.com into similar difficulties.
    I think the story is so ludicrous that we can safely recount it just to laugh at it. Hammer man was Paul Pelosi's gay lover on a cocaine bender.
    Oh, sure, we can recount nonsense to laugh at it. I worry about the one who believes it to be true.

I worry more about the ones who know it to be false but deliberately mislead the gullible MAGAs regardless.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What is a 'news blackout' in this context, and how does the Head of the Civil Service go about imposing one? Does he just say to the media 'Oy lads, this Russia hacks Truss's phone story - No.'?

I know about super-injunctions and I don't really approve, but that is at least some sort of legal process.

Downthread there is also mention of the media sitting on stories about Bojo that may re-emerge if he runs for PM again. Why are they sitting on them, and at whos request? Why is that in the public interest?

D-Notice.

One assumes any blackout would now be rescinded because Truss is gone and negative stories about her suit the current Government.
    The story is from a 'source' though, not something that was clearly known but under suppression. Otherwise the Mail would say 'we found out about this in August but were prevented from running the story'
    This is an enormous dead cat. I'll wager there was nothing national security related, just some *ahem* and some 'apres Boris, c'est moi'
    You are so desperate for this not to be a real and substantial story as it clearly is, you are replying to your own posts about it.

My point is if this was being suppressed via D Notice by Case then it wouldn't now be out, and if the info retrieved was of blackmail/national security level it absolutely eould be under D notice. That not being the case and a mystery 'source' briefing the Mail then its clearly a much lesser issue being used for a purpose - probably to distract from Suella issues.
    There is no way a source is annonymously briefing the Mail on something with massive national security implication and the government not be in utter panic and 'blackout everything to do with this' mode.
    The opposition also would be very careful if there were proper, serious implications.
    Im not 'desperate for it not to be a big story', im trying to identify the actual story/issue
    BBC

"There are immensely important national security issues raised by an attack like this by a hostile state which will have been taken extremely seriously by our intelligence and security agencies," said shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper.

"There are also serious security questions around why and how this information has been leaked or released right now which must also be urgently investigated."

The Mail on Sunday reported agents suspected of working for Russia had been responsible for the alleged hacking, citing unnamed sources, but the BBC has not been able to verify this."

That last sentence implies to me that the BBC *has* independently verified the other elements of the story.
    Well, yes, the Foreign secretary's phone bring hacked by 'whoever' is a serious matter, but my thought is that now the story is 'out' security services must have concluded national security was not compromised or they wouldnt be allowing speculative journalism like this (a D notice or equivalent would surely apply?)
    So we are left with Liz being embarrassed and the story deflecting from Suella, with the wider implication being a 'werent Liz and Boris and co chaotic and rubbish and embarassing? Thank God Rishi is here' or at least thats what they want.....
    If im reading this wrong im reading it wrong but there doesnt seem to me to be the urgency from anyone opposition or govt or press that would suggest this was a major breach of national security, its Liz's cringingly embarassing messages being read by 'someone'
    I may be wrong but thats my reading of it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Good data point on "GOP will never outlaw Contraception"

https://twitter.com/dananessel/status/1494833301110116355

All 3 Republicans running for Michigan Attorney General just stated that they oppose the ruling in Griswold v Connecticut which outlawed prosecuting married couples for using contraception.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DavidL said:

I am bemoaning the lack of drive in Scotland, the ambition to succeed and build a new business, to get wealthy. People like that are no longer admired in our society as they once were. They are regarded as exploiters who think that they are somehow better than the rest and, to the extent that they do succeed, should be paying a lot more in taxes. ...

But surely the problem is that, historically, the very wealthy were exploiters who should have paid a lot more in tax? :smiley:

Philanthropists tend to be further on in life having already done the "wealthy exploitation tax offshoring" phase of their lives :wink:
  • Options
    Tres said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Actually no I am not but my son played it and the graphics were impressive. But the company that makes it is tiny compared to the companies we once had in Dundee where several thousand would work in a single jute works. We need companies that create jobs and opportunities for our society and they are thin on the ground.
  • Options

If you want the car to go forwards you put it in D! If you want the car to go backwards you put it in R!
    An old one but a good one!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3mzAzOl6o

• Options
    edited October 2022
    DJ41 said:

"Finland" has absolutely nothing to do with the Truss phone story.
    Actually now I come to think of it, I suppose she may have had something about it on her phone. But other than that, it has nothing to do with Truss and her phone, or Truss and Kwarteng, or Truss and bondage sex.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tres said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Actually no I am not but my son played it and the graphics were impressive. But the company that makes it is tiny compared to the companies we once had in Dundee where several thousand would work in a single jute works. We need companies that create jobs and opportunities for our society and they are thin on the ground.
    I meant more as an example of Scottish people with drive and ambition establishing a successful business that others can aspire to.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

You are doing the same thing that you condemn - blame the government for everything. A government that tries to support students more than the norm of the UKG settlement, within the limits of the devolution settlement.
    No I absolutely am not. The government is not helping but this is a much wider problem that existed long before an SNP administration was ever contemplated. In my lifetime Scots have switched from admiring those that get on and make something of themselves to resenting them and wanting to tax them out of existence. That is not an SNP thing although they seem to have those values too.

And as for helping students more, well the SG funding is so poor that our Universities have become dependent upon foreign students and indeed English students to subsidise their education. Even then, the number of places are limited and becoming more so, closing the door to opportunity. We have utterly destroyed our college system replacing it with certificates for all, regardless of effort or attendance, the exact opposite of training people for the world of work. Our school standards have fallen so far against international standards the SG doesn't want to play anymore.

A Scottish education was something to be proud of in my youth, If you did well in it you had worked hard and applied yourself. Sadly, that is no longer the case and it is not equipping our next generation to create and develop the economy we need.
    The devastation wreaked on Scottish, and the wider UK, society, by Thatcher destroyed hope and ambition in many places. Why try to improve when there are no jobs and no hope?
    Yet another myth and need to blame someone else. This is a chart of employment in the UK over time:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281998/employment-figures-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

What we see is that employment started to fall in the last 2 years of the Labour government and this continued until a point in 1983 after which employment rose consistently, considerably exceeding previous highs, until after she lost power.

Employment:
    June 70: 24.6 (Mar 71 earliest available)
    Feb 74: 25.0 (+0.4 vs when Con took office)
    Oct 74: 25.1
    May 79: 25.1 (+0.1 under Labour)
    June 83 23.6
    June 87: 25.1
    April 92: 26.6
    May 97: 26.5 (+1.4 under Con)
    June 01: 27.7
    May 05: 28.8
    May 10: 29.1 (+2.6 under Labour)
    May 15: 31.1 (+2.0 under Coalition)
    June 17: 32.1
    Dec 19: 32.9 (+1.8 under Con)

Striking the significant growth in more recent years and despite COVID current employment is level with Dec 19 (32.8).
    Thanks. When I went back to it I saw that I had misread the scale on the chart as @Theuniondivvie correctly pointed out. But the idea that there was mass unemployment or lack of opportunity through the Thatcher years is simply wrong and Scotland did better than most on the back of north sea oil.
    Now you really are taking the piss David, Scotland was robbed blind on the back of North sea oil and continues to be.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    1,000 yesterday. Well done, Leaky Sue, you've really got a grip on this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446010
  • Options
    Betfair: Brazil presidential election, R2 (voting underway):

Lula 1.41
    Bolsonaro 3.4
    Matched: £15.4m.

Voting is electronic. Last polls close 5pm tonight local time, so 10pm GMT in the less populous far west time zone, earlier GMT in Rio, Brasilia, Sao Paulo, the Northeast, etc. Result should be known by midnight GMT, assuming it doesn't go all Bush-Gore.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

D-Notice.

BBC

Well, yes, the Foreign secretary's phone bring hacked by 'whoever' is a serious matter, but my thought is that now the story is 'out' security services must have concluded national security was not compromised or they wouldnt be allowing speculative journalism like this (a D notice or equivalent would surely apply?)
    So we are left with Liz being embarrassed and the story deflecting from Suella, with the wider implication being a 'werent Liz and Boris and co chaotic and rubbish and embarassing? Thank God Rishi is here' or at least thats what they want.....
    If im reading this wrong im reading it wrong but there doesnt seem to me to be the urgency from anyone opposition or govt or press that would suggest this was a major breach of national security, its Liz's cringingly embarassing messages being read by 'someone'
    Apart from anything else, if this is hostile and partisan it is *hostile* to leaky Sue I would have thought: Time for a clear out of security risks past and present.

There's a massive Damnatio Memoriae of Liz going on by the way. This in the Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s

is an awfully long winded way of saying she was a frivolous airhead with a taste for foto ops.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

D-Notice.

BBC

Apart from anything else, if this is hostile and partisan it is *hostile* to leaky Sue I would have thought: Time for a clear out of security risks past and present.

There's a massive Damnatio Memoriae of Liz going on by the way. This in the Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-team-tour-book-extract-r7jj8rs6s

is an awfully long winded way of saying she was a frivolous airhead with a taste for foto ops.
    That's just extracts from the infamous Harry Cole biography. But it was already obvious that chasing photo ops and delivering underworked speeches was how she spent her time in government.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

What security implications? The implications are that the government (whether that means HMG or MI5 or Liz Truss or anyone else) messed up. There are no great security implications because the KGB already knows what phones the KGB hacked. Official embarrassment is not the same as national security.

Given that the state-of-the-art for malware is zero-click zero-day attacks the only sense that someone has messed up is in having a phone at all. So unless you literrally ban public officials from having phones you are going to have these sort of problems.
    If it was Truss and Truss only (and I've mentioned that no-one has reported checking all the other phones) then it was presumably targeted at Truss specifically, either by sophisticated spear-phishing or by someone who gained physical access to her phone. Now that is worrying, but reporting it would hardly endanger national security.
    We don't know the ins and outs of the story, because what the Mail has published reeks of being a political hit job not a proper security story.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

It is a major problem for us, whether as part of the UK or as an independent nation. The generations of Scots who went out there and changed the world are i a distant memory indeed. We need to rediscover our Calvinist work ethic without the loony religion that came with it.
    I have to agree there David, Scotland is a shadow of it's former self , crap government South and North have helped encourage it. The plebs ape their governments.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    David L. said: "The generations of Scots who went out there and changed the world are a distant memory indeed. We need to rediscover our Calvinist work ethic without the loony religion that came with it."

You might find this bit interesting: From "The Millionaire Next Door" I learned that in the US people of Scots descent were about twice as likely to be millionaires as people of English descent. (It's been a while since the book was published (1996), so that may no longer be true.)

In the US, the most financially successful groups have strong families, and value education.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

And we’re spending £7m a DAY to put Albanians in hotels. Fucking ridiculous

Send some to Rwanda and they will stop coming to England
  • Options
    That’s worth repeating

£7m a DAY putting dinghy people in hotels. That’s £2.5 BILLION a year. Absolutely insane. We cannot afford this. We are broke. It’s time to grow a pain of cullions, tell the lefty lawyers to fuck off, leave the ECHR, change the law on asylum, send these gaming gangsters back home to Tirana
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Water Taxi bill must be high as well
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

“Home Office officials told the Home Affairs Committee the nationality of those crossing the Channel was changing, with Albanians now the biggest group“

Channel migrants: Nearly 1,000 people cross in single day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446010
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

£7m a DAY putting dinghy people in hotels. That’s £2.5 BILLION a year. Absolutely insane. We cannot afford this. We are broke. It’s time to grow a pain of cullions, tell the lefty lawyers to fuck off, leave the ECHR, change the law on asylum, send these gaming gangsters back home to Tirana

"Tirana"
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

"Tirana"
    'Exponential rise' in Albanian migrants crossing the Channel this year, MPs told

https://news.sky.com/story/exponential-rise-in-albanian-migrants-crossing-the-channel-this-year-mps-told-12730745
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

“Home Office officials told the Home Affairs Committee the nationality of those crossing the Channel was changing, with Albanians now the biggest group“

Channel migrants: Nearly 1,000 people cross in single day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446010
    What does that mean, though? They make up 8%, and it's 7% Somalis, 6% Afghans, 6% Eritreans, etc? They aren't all "Albanians".
  • Options
    And now in for the whining about migrants demonstrating drive and ambition.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Provided memes such as "£7m a day" and "Rwanda" don't lose their power, which is similar to assuming the Daily Mail continues to exist, Labour will not win >50% of the vote in the next general election.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

What does that mean, though? They make up 8%, and it's 7% Somalis, 6% Afghans, 6% Eritreans, etc? They aren't all "Albanians".
    “The Home Affairs Committee was told that "one to two percent" of the entire male population of Albania - around 10,000 men - arrived on small boats this year alone.”
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

“The Home Affairs Committee was told that "one to two percent" of the entire male population of Albania - around 10,000 men - arrived on small boats this year alone.”
    So two thirds of the arrivals aren't Albanian then?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

You mean they aren't all Albanians with knives clenched in their teeth and pictures of decapitated British soldiers on their phones, carrying the free television sets they've been given by immigration officers, or two big sets if they're gay? So the local BNP guy has been lying to me all along?
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

You mean they aren't all Albanians with knives clenched in their teeth and pictures of decapitated British soldiers on their phones, carrying the free television sets they've been given by immigration officers, or two big sets if they're gay? So the local BNP guy has been lying to me all along?
    I'm pretty sure there was at least one Macedonian in amongst them
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Provided memes such as "£7m a day" and "Rwanda" don't lose their power, which is similar to assuming the Daily Mail continues to exist, Labour will not win >50% of the vote in the next general election.
    Labour were never going to get 50%+ of the vote anyway

Nonetheless I am not sure this issue plays that badly for Labour. The influx of dinghy people is rightly seen as a Tory failing, as they have been in power for 12 years, and tories are meant to be the “control our borders” party (esp after Brexit). We are manifestly not in control of the Channel and it is Tory Home Secretaries which have lost this control. Sure, it’s very hard to solve but voters don’t hand out sympathy to politicians that fail - “oh well, at least you tried”

Not good enough

I am fairly sure Labour will do as bad or even worse at handling this, but it is less certain it will harm them at the GE
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    EdmundinTokyo said: "If you want the car to go forwards you put it in D! If you want the car to go backwards you put it in R!"

Depends on what you mean by forward and reverse, I suppose.

During his first run for the presidency, Obama once admitted that, if we elected him and followed his policies, one consequence might be genocide. We elected him, we followed his policies, and ISIS comited genocide. Forward?

During the George W. Bush administration, life expectancy in the US continued to grow; during the last years of the Obama administration, it fell. Forward?

During the Bush administration, there were two or thee years in which the total fertility rate in the US was above 2.1. It never came close to that during Obama's eight years. Forward?

Obama made race hustler Al Sharpton an ally. Forward?

Perhaps we have different views on what forward means.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Our Icelandic guide has just casually mentioned that his “great grandmother was eaten by a polar bear”

Think s/he might be winding you up. Polar bears do not live in Iceland. They occasionally arrive by accident. Looked it up and it is about one every couple of years. You have really got to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get eaten by one, or not be in Iceland of course.
    Are up off to the geyser by chance next? Did it yesterday! Currently doing the hike to the volcano that isn't erupting

18 seconds ago

That's a good photo. What else are you doing. We did snowmobiling and gullfoss waterfall. Both very good
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Indeed. The country won't re-elect the current Labour government now that Sir Keir has let illegal immigration run rife.
  • Options

EdmundinTokyo said: "If you want the car to go forwards you put it in D! If you want the car to go backwards you put it in R!"

Depends on what you mean by forward and reverse, I suppose.

During his first run for the presidency, Obama once admitted that, if we elected him and followed his policies, one consequence might be genocide. We elected him, we followed his policies, and ISIS comited genocide. Forward?

During the George W. Bush administration, life expectancy in the US continued to grow; during the last years of the Obama administration, it fell. Forward?

During the Bush administration, there were two or thee years in which the total fertility rate in the US was above 2.1. It never came close to that during Obama's eight years. Forward?

Obama made race hustler Al Sharpton an ally. Forward?

Perhaps we have different views on what forward means.

Wait til you find out what happened to life expectancy under Trump..
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Yes.
    I see.
    In general, I think Hindus were disproportionately drawn from professional classes when they arrived here, especially those who came from East Africa, so it was natural that they should do well. They seem to have avoided a lot of the problems that can afflict the children of professional people, too.

Other groups that do well for similar reasons are Chinese and Nigerians.
    But only Labour can unlock their potential.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

Which I think even you described as an exaggeration*

*bollocks
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

Imagine if every poor/corrupt country in the world did the same (bear in mind the only real control we have on numbers is the ability of the criminal networks to facilitate them and the ability of migrants to pay).

It'd be in the billions.

The laws and conventions need to change.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that Diane Abbott would have been able to stem the flow of illegal cross channel migration

Every Labour MP elected in 2019 tried to give her a go at it
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

If you Google "problems with asylum" you will get lots of hits from NGO, UN and think-tank sites all saying how it isn't really a problem or we don't make it easy enough/take enough of them.

When people talk about libtard establishment conspiracy (which is overdone) this is the sort of thing that gives credence to it.
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

18 seconds ago

That's a good photo. What else are you doing. We did snowmobiling and gullfoss waterfall. Both very good
    Off to Gullfoss now I think

• Options
    Dead horse? Let me introduce you to Emily:

https://twitter.com/emilythornberry/status/1586702297282879488

Not that it doesn’t merit investigation, but I imagine there are several senior currently serving politicians grateful for the attention to a washed up has-been.
  • Options

That won't work. Just like it didn't for "are you thinking what we're thinking?" or "who governs?"

The answer will be for the uncommitted will be, "well, not you."
  • Options

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

If you Google "problems with asylum" you will get lots of hits from NGO, UN and think-tank sites all saying how it isn't really a problem or we don't make it easy enough/take enough of them.

When people talk about libtard establishment conspiracy (which is overdone) this is the sort of thing that gives credence to it.

And it is also self harming. Sweden and Denmark now have far right parties in government, or near it, precisely because liberal elites purposely ignored or diminished a problem like this for far too long

The UK is not immune to this law of politics. Eventually the voters will enable a party that WILL tackle such a problem. And not in a way that pleases liberals

Why not, for once, get ahead of the curve?
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Much to my astonishment and delight, my book 'LIFELINE' has just won in this year's British Medical Association medical book awards ('Good Medical Practice' category).
    The book analyses the reason's for the collapse of the NHS, and given how much health has become a political 'hot potato' might be of interest to readers of pb.com. Some of the book will make you laugh and some will reduce you to tears of rage. There were a few occasions when I was writing when I had to stop because I was so upset.
    It's available on Amazon, Waterstones, etc.

Brilliant!!!
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks
    The source is a UK government official- Dan O'Mahoney, who's the government's clandestine channel threat commander.

The numbers check out for 18-40 year old Albanian males as a % of the population.

You can either do the maths yourself, and admit you're wrong, or we can chalk you up as a libtard.

Your choice.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks
    The source is a UK government official- Dan O'Mahoney, who's the government's clandestine channel threat commander.

The numbers check out for 18-40 year old Albanian males as a % of the population.

You can either do the maths yourself, and admit you're wrong, or we can chalk you up as a libtard.

Your choice.
    source is a desperate guy fighting for his job and included the two telltale words 'up to'.
  • Options
    RunDeepRunDeep Posts: 77
    Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

It is not the ECHR which determines what asylum is. It is the various Refugee Conventions. By all means campaign to leave them and redefine asylum, if that is your wish. (There is as some posters have argued a case for doing so in the world of today.) But leaving the ECHR while remaining committed to those Conventions will not resolve the issue.

Nor will leaving any of these treaties resolve deportation issues. You can only deport people if you can get a country to agree to take its citizens back. If they refuse to do so, where exactly are you going to deport them to?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    If we know they are Albanian, why can’t they be deported back to Albania?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Football: just doing some of the October numbers (results to come for Serie A and Ligue 1). Bloodbath in the EPL, La Liga, and Bundesliga. Ligue 1 looking ok. Serie A looking oddly good, though probably not enough to outweigh the woe elsewhere.

Think the downturn was a mix of some poor judgement and a few 50/50s which disproportionately were unlucky (kind of thing that evens itself out).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

And it is also self harming. Sweden and Denmark now have far right parties in government, or near it, precisely because liberal elites purposely ignored or diminished a problem like this for far too long

The UK is not immune to this law of politics. Eventually the voters will enable a party that WILL tackle such a problem. And not in a way that pleases liberals

Election on Tuesday in Denmark. Danmarksdemokraterne at on ~7%. Danske Folkparti might be on the verge of annihilation. Even Konservativerne have imploded from 17% to about 5%. Stram Kurs never really got anywhere.
    Socialdemokraterne are going to win the largest share (again), and the makeup of the government really hinges on what Løkke's Moderater do, whether they come down in favour of the red or blue blocs.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

So if a 1000 people a day are crossing then a fraction of a percent being Albanian?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited October 2022

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    As is your wont when you have a feather up your arse you just lurch into any old conversation. The post I replied to said '"one to two percent" of the entire male population of Albania'. Break down the meaning of that or I'll chalk you (or the whole lot of whoever 'we' is for that matter) up as an over-agressive dick with a hangover who can't read.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    source is a desperate guy fighting for his job and included the two telltale words 'up to'.
    Do the maths yourself.

I'll start you off: the population of Albania is 3.1 million and there are 1.07 males to females at birth.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Why should they be ? Most will have genuine reasons for coming here.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

They never will.

They're far more interested in signalling to their peer group they share the right values.

Ergo, we will get a far right party in power in the UK at some point.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Is a libtard more retarded than a brextard?
    Or are they are at similar levels of retardation?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

Imagine if every poor/corrupt country in the world did the same (bear in mind the only real control we have on numbers is the ability of the criminal networks to facilitate them and the ability of migrants to pay).

It'd be in the billions.

And you need to work on your maths.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

I was told on pb because they claim asylum based on blood feuds etc.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

Do you really think with FPTP that is likely here ? Surely it’s more likely the top two parties will get the majority of the seats but simply lose vote share.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

They never will.

They're far more interested in signalling to their peer group they share the right values.

Ergo, we will get a far right party in power in the UK at some point.
    And you'll still complain they're too lefty for you
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

It'd be in the billions.

And you need to work on your maths.
    My maths are spot on.
  • Options

I thought a tard was someone who is late
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Taz said:

Why should they be ? Most will have genuine reasons for coming here.
    But not a genuine right. Would help if we set up places to claim asylum overseas, rather than trying to shut up shop (and failing).
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited October 2022

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    What precisely is a 'libtard'? Serious question.
    I need to work out if I'm one or not.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited October 2022
    No - scrapping my thoughts on Albania. Too hungover!
  • Options
    RunDeepRunDeep Posts: 77

There is a difference between believing they are Albanian and having the legal proof that they are Mr X, citizen of Albania such that the Albanian authorities will accept them back. I imagine.
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    Anyone to the left of Casino. Which includes Franco.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Dead horse? Let me introduce you to Emily:

https://twitter.com/emilythornberry/status/1586702297282879488

Not that it doesn’t merit investigation, but I imagine there are several senior currently serving politicians grateful for the attention to a washed up has-been.

Thornberry anticipated your critique, and has responded as follows:

Of course, Truss is gone, so does any of this still matter? Well it does if you believe governments should have to tell the truth, especially where taxpayers’ money is involved, because if they get away with it in one case, they will do it again whenever it suits them.
  • Options

That would mean actually doing something.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited October 2022

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    Taz said:

Ok, so a libtard must be a late Liberal.

So Paddy Ashdown is a libtard.
    Makes sense.
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    The entire population of Albania is 3 million people? 1% of 3 million is 30,000? The article says that about 30,000 have tried to cross the channel in 2021/2022. So for it to work all the crossers have to be Albanian and the entire population of Albania has to me male surely?
    It's 1% of the male population, specifically those aged between 18-40.

51.7% are male using birth metrics so you get 1.6 million Albanian males (all ages) and it would only take 16,000 men (1% of that overall male population) for the numbers to be correct. And that would include for under 15s and over 65s too, which would be ludicrous, so the threshold is even lower.

He is right. The rest is nitpicking or denialism to avoid engaging with the problem.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

more likely the a is meant to be a u
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    26 Ajax armoured vehicles have been delivered to the British Army even though they may never enter service.
    https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1586675275672260609
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.
    The entire population of Albania is 3 million people? 1% of 3 million is 30,000? The article says that about 30,000 have tried to cross the channel in 2021/2022. So for it to work all the crossers have to be Albanian and the entire population of Albania has to me male surely?

51.7% are male using birth metrics so you get 1.6 million Albanian males (all ages) and it would only take 16,000 men (1% of that overall male population) for the numbers to be correct. And that would include for under 15s and over 65s too, which would be ludicrous, so the threshold is even lower.

He is right. The rest is nitpicking or denialism to avoid engaging with the problem.
    Yes, you might be right. Nursing a hangover at present so probably best to engage in it later.
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Albanians"
    Yes, Albanians

*bollocks

Your choice.

Yes, you might be right. Nursing a hangover at present so probably best to engage in it later.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s worth repeating

Do you really think with FPTP that is likely here ? Surely it’s more likely the top two parties will get the majority of the seats but simply lose vote share.
    But FPTP really means "the leading candidate grabs the lot". It is not difficult to conceive of a Far Right Party that takes about 30% of the votes in a constituency, when there are four serious contenders.

FPTP is just a lucky dip, which is easy to rig if you have enough money behind you. The Conservative Party does it all the time.
This discussion has been closed.