Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s talk about Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

In other words, not much change. Certainly not enough to calm Tory nerves.

How long will the party wait without an upswing before they become restless again? A month? Six months? Certainly not a year.

A 27% point deficit for the governing party during their leader's honeymoon period should set the alarm bells ringing.

And that's with Sunak's personal ratings actually dragging up the Conservative vote. Those ratings date back to his actions with furlough etc, and I don't think they'll hold up after the economic entrenchment to come. Efforts from the person who was Chancellor for most of this parliament to dodge the bullet and claim that the economic mess is all Truss's fault are risible.

Nor do I think he has much political nous. For a start, he's standing in the way of the king taking up the invite to COPT26, at the same time as signalling a renewal of the restrictions on onshore windfarms that have all but killed off new developments. Unnecessary and avoidable own goals that will have already alienated any voter who thinks that tackling climate change should be a priority.

Sunak is a dead duck. In conversations ive had with people they say to me they dont trust him together with some aspersions to "that indian" This is a deeply divided country now
    I think that says rather more about the people which you hang out with than anything else.
    Not really i hang with normal people not the liberal left elite. Ordinary people dont want Sunak
    Reading your post I would suggest you hang out with deeply unpleasant people
    You're wrong. He doesn't hang out with anyone. The "some people say that..." is the "I think that..." when you know everyone will call you an arse for saying it.
    You clearly dont know the british people like i do...many are fuming inside
    Just tell us what you think. You don't like Sunak. Because he's brown. Am I right?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Away from that. The polling figures remain extraordinary. I know it takes a couple of weeks, but the sheer scale of the lack of bounce so far has astonished me.
    If we hadn't had the nineties they'd be unprecedented.

Sunak is not liked by the majority of british people
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Taz said:

Tucker Carlson here warning about only 24 days of diesel fuel left

https://twitter.com/samanthamarika1/status/1586086467171860480?s=20&t=cNHCqIbB6h9jzrmgYmhntg

Anyway, while we’ve got you here, when are you going to call the Northern Ireland Assembly election for?
    We say NEVER
    A small correction: Since it is Norn Iron, the correct phrasing is "Never! Never!! NEVER!!!" :smile:
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    The worst thing about these tankies coming on here is that Leon has to try extra hard to get the attention.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

I fully expect rcs will ban me later. He doesnt seem a fan of free speech sadly...maybe working for goldman sachs changed him

Well, the site's owners don't have 'free speech.' They have to pay for every post we make.

If you want 'free speech' there are costs involved. Maybe you could negotiate a subscription rate so you can continue spouting Nazi propaganda for our bemusement?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367

I fully expect rcs will ban me later. He doesnt seem a fan of free speech sadly...maybe working for goldman sachs changed him

You don't appear to understand what free speech means.
    Tip, it doesn't encompass unrestricted access to privately owned sites by trolls.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

dixiedean said:

Away from that. The polling figures remain extraordinary. I know it takes a couple of weeks, but the sheer scale of the lack of bounce so far has astonished me.

No tory is liked by the majority of british people at the moment
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

dixiedean said:

On the contrary.
    Implies the Conservatives aren't liked. Sunak is merely meh. Before he's had to do owt unpopular.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Its easy here in the west to be warmongereres

But think of the poor children in ukraine suffering and dying in the cold this winter...lets have some empathy for them

Agreed.

The sooner the Russians feck off and stop causing them misery, the better.
    But they are not going to do. They have reinforced their positions. Do you support nato troops on the ground to force them out
    Well, you were the one calling for empathy and an end to the suffering.

Why not ask the Russians to show some? After all, it's in their power to stop this war tomorrow.
    Yes but we cant control wjat the russians do. You dont want a peace deal but i doubt you want poor ukrainian children to freeze to death this winter. So isnt the next logicalstep nato troops on the ground
    No, but they can. So why not tell them to 'show some empathy?'

If you think there should be protests against the continuation of the war, wouldn't they be more effective in Moscow and Minsk than in London and Paris?

Especially since the people of Russia are suffering, and will continue to suffer, until the war is abandoned and Russia can start rebuilding its wrecked economy. Which won't happen until they've left Ukraine, including Crimea.

As for negotiations, the Ukrainians are the ones on the offensive except in one pocket around Bakhmut, while Russian logistics look to be imploding. Isn't it rather Russia that should be seeking a quick end to the war before they implode?
    Putin has the ability to bring a quick end, in fact he keeps banging on about it.

I am not in favour of that scenario though, but the more you corner a rat
    Yes as Leon says we are gambling with a nuclear escalation over a non nato country....maybe worth it if western europe was being invaded but over ukraine??
    Because obviously, Ukraine being invaded would have no impact on the rest of the world. It's only those Ukrainians and their children that you claim to care about so much that get raped, tortured and murdered. So why don't we just leave them to it?

Is that the empathy you're talking about?
    If the russian army is so useless how would they threaten the rest of the world
    a) We didn't know how useless they were
    b) They have nukes
    c) If Ukrainian hadn't put up a fight with our help where would it stop. You shouldn't give in to bullies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Those who want us to join the single market still have to address the fact that it was economically catastrophic for us, not because there is anything wrong with either the concept or the theory of the SM but because of the policies that we elected in this country. If we return we would need to cut consumption sharply, increase our savings and investment ratios, think hard about how to encourage import substitution and work out how we are going to pay our way in the world. This means higher interest rates, higher taxes on consumption and a lower standard of living for the majority.

Many of those necessary steps are of course good things and things we should be working on in or out but a return means our politicos need to divert their eyes from the successes of the City and work how the rest of the country remains competitive. Repeating our previous mistakes without addressing these problems would have the same disastrous consequences.

"catastrophic"
    "disastrous"

I don't know if I can take the middle of your post seriously with that kind of hyperbole bookending it. What on earth do you mean by catastrophe and disaster?
    I mean that we have operated a massive trade deficit with the other members of the SM for 30 years; that as a result many of our assets have been sold to foreign buyers because of the debts we have accrued; that we have gone from some of the wealthier citizens of Europe to amongst the poorest as a result; that this failure to be competitive has resulted in wages not growing in real terms for most for over a decade; that all wage growth has largely been focused on our finance sector which was properly competitive and that we have only managed to maintain high employment by excess consumption creating low value service jobs.

The cumulative effect of this is indeed catastrophic and disastrous. Even the chaos caused by Truss's incompetence was a result of us no longer having the right to regulate our own affairs, we are dependent on the funding of others and cannot step out of line. The fact that this has been a slow moving disaster does not make it any less of one.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

How long will the party wait without an upswing before they become restless again? A month? Six months? Certainly not a year.

A 27% point deficit for the governing party during their leader's honeymoon period should set the alarm bells ringing.

And that's with Sunak's personal ratings actually dragging up the Conservative vote. Those ratings date back to his actions with furlough etc, and I don't think they'll hold up after the economic entrenchment to come. Efforts from the person who was Chancellor for most of this parliament to dodge the bullet and claim that the economic mess is all Truss's fault are risible.

Nor do I think he has much political nous. For a start, he's standing in the way of the king taking up the invite to COPT26, at the same time as signalling a renewal of the restrictions on onshore windfarms that have all but killed off new developments. Unnecessary and avoidable own goals that will have already alienated any voter who thinks that tackling climate change should be a priority.

Sunak is a dead duck. In conversations ive had with people they say to me they dont trust him together with some aspersions to "that indian" This is a deeply divided country now
    I think that says rather more about the people which you hang out with than anything else.
    Not really i hang with normal people not the liberal left elite. Ordinary people dont want Sunak
    You're wrong. He doesn't hang out with anyone. The "some people say that..." is the "I think that..." when you know everyone will call you an arse for saying it.
    Just tell us what you think. You don't like Sunak. Because he's brown. Am I right?
    Im talking about the british people...people are saying they have lost their country
  • Options

I see we have another Kremlin bot on here

They keep turning up and the only question is how long they remain

Remain lost. The question has to be phrased when will they leave or the 17.4m will feel insulted.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Things looking bleak in Kyiv at the moment. This from the telegraph

Ukrainians will freeze to death this winter if the West does not urgently send blankets and generators to keep them warm, Vitali Klitschko has said.

The 51-year-old mayor of Kyiv, and former heavyweight boxing champion of the world, told The Telegraph that increasing Russian attacks on power plants have left his country on the brink of a fresh humanitarian crisis. 

“We are doing everything we can do to save the lives of our people and to protect them,” he said, banging his huge fists on the table. 

“But this winter will definitely be a huge challenge for us.”

Methinks Chris Heaton will be in receipt of a PB ban within hours.

For all the so called Libertarian facade of the site

Its not really
    When as this site claimed to be Libertarian? The owner is a liberal; that's not the same thing.
    You can get away with lots of things on here.

Heck, there are even three posters who are known to say rude things about Radiohead.
    Really?

And do not forget that Python is a toy. Proper programming is done is Java or C.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Im talking about the british people...people are saying they have lost their country
    No, that's the Ukrainians, because the Russians have invaded it.

Will nobody show empathy for them?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But think of the poor children in ukraine suffering and dying in the cold this winter...lets have some empathy for them

Agreed.

But they are not going to do. They have reinforced their positions. Do you support nato troops on the ground to force them out

Why not ask the Russians to show some? After all, it's in their power to stop this war tomorrow.
    Yes but we cant control wjat the russians do. You dont want a peace deal but i doubt you want poor ukrainian children to freeze to death this winter. So isnt the next logicalstep nato troops on the ground

If you think there should be protests against the continuation of the war, wouldn't they be more effective in Moscow and Minsk than in London and Paris?

Especially since the people of Russia are suffering, and will continue to suffer, until the war is abandoned and Russia can start rebuilding its wrecked economy. Which won't happen until they've left Ukraine, including Crimea.

As for negotiations, the Ukrainians are the ones on the offensive except in one pocket around Bakhmut, while Russian logistics look to be imploding. Isn't it rather Russia that should be seeking a quick end to the war before they implode?
    Putin has the ability to bring a quick end, in fact he keeps banging on about it.

Yes as Leon says we are gambling with a nuclear escalation over a non nato country....maybe worth it if western europe was being invaded but over ukraine??
    Because obviously, Ukraine being invaded would have no impact on the rest of the world. It's only those Ukrainians and their children that you claim to care about so much that get raped, tortured and murdered. So why don't we just leave them to it?

We're not talking about the rest of the world. We're talking about Ukraine.

It would be nice if you showed some empathy with the Ukrainian people. After all, you were yourself calling for it.

But apparently you don't care if they're raped, tortured, murdered, driven from their homes, unable to sell their grain and can't grow food for themselves, as long as the Russians are doing it.

That's - interesting.

I think my one plus point is you haven't talked about BA yet, but otherwise, you're a real disappointment. We had much classier Russian bots on here recently. Dynamo could even hold an intelligent conversation for 30 seconds, although he had a Father Jack like tendency to revert to type after that.
    West appears disunited now
    People abroad have been hearing awful things from that rapper Kanye West
    So even the scourge of anti semitism is rising in the west now
    Ok, that's another one ticked off, he's ranting about antisemitism. Very soon, there will be talk of Holocaust survivors, who oddly can't be named or linked to, complaining at Russia's actions being called a genocide.

I don't know why we're suddenly disunited after 40 minutes. Heck, even @Dura_Ace and I have agreed a negotiating position for Ukraine now. Given he's been a consistent pessimist about their chances, I'd say we're becoming more united.
    No we haven't. I'm talking December 2014 borders plus a bit because Crimea is a lost cause.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

We're not talking about the rest of the world. We're talking about Ukraine.

It would be nice if you showed some empathy with the Ukrainian people. After all, you were yourself calling for it.

But apparently you don't care if they're raped, tortured, murdered, driven from their homes, unable to sell their grain and can't grow food for themselves, as long as the Russians are doing it.

That's - interesting.

I think my one plus point is you haven't talked about BA yet, but otherwise, you're a real disappointment. We had much classier Russian bots on here recently. Dynamo could even hold an intelligent conversation for 30 seconds, although he had a Father Jack like tendency to revert to type after that.
    West appears disunited now
    People abroad have been hearing awful things from that rapper Kanye West
    So even the scourge of anti semitism is rising in the west now
    Ok, that's another one ticked off, he's ranting about antisemitism. Very soon, there will be talk of Holocaust survivors, who oddly can't be named or linked to, complaining at Russia's actions being called a genocide.

I don't know why we're suddenly disunited after 40 minutes. Heck, even @Dura_Ace and I have agreed a negotiating position for Ukraine now. Given he's been a consistent pessimist about their chances, I'd say we're becoming more united.
    No we haven't. I'm talking December 2014 borders plus a bit because Crimea is a lost cause.
    Bollocks! You've ruined my trolling there...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    dixiedean said:

It is strange how every single one has exactly the same opinion on UK domestic politics too.
    Why on earth are they interested in us?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

dixiedean said:

Who is?

Apart from Zelensky
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Let me explain an aspect of democracy those unfamiliar with it probably aren't aware of.
    Most leaders in power aren't liked by the majority of their people.

Of course that's likely true of authoritarian regimes too. It's just that you don't get the opportunity freely to express that opinion.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Trevor Noah? Is that you??
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Who is?

Apart from Zelensky
    Paddington Bear and Prue Leith.
  • Options

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Is that inside the FSB?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Who is?

Apart from Zelensky
    Paddington Bear and Prue Leith.
    Wouldn't last long if either were ever PM.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Who is?

Apart from Zelensky
    Active politicians on yougov trackers - just Obama and Zelensky I think

Boris and King of the North highest active domestic ones (Balls higher but inactive) but only around 30% popularity.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Why do all bots punctuate the same way? Two clauses, separated by an elllipsis* without preceding or succeeding spaces, no other punctuation at all apart from a capital letter at the start.
    Bots, if you can't punctuate, no one will listen.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

HYUFD said:

Just 23% of voters want to rejoin the full EU with a further 11% wanting to rejoin the single market.

Just 7% of Conservative voters want to rejoin the full EU with a further 12% wanting to rejoin the single market

https://institute.global/policy/moving-how-british-public-views-brexit-and-what-it-wants-future-relationship-european-union

This was a fun poll that's being quoted by either side to prove whatever they want, because they have exceptionally teensy numbers for both "rejoin" and "brexit as it actually exists". The way they get these numbers is by giving the voters multiple types of unicorn, including the epically vague option of "in a new kind of association with the EU unlike anything we know today".
    Not really. It's the Tony Blair Institute and the executive foreword is by the man himself.

Simply, a third want the single market, a third want a closer relationship but not that (think Richard Nabavi's article last month), and a third want the existing Brexit deal or more.

It doesn't point to Rejoin getting anywhere close in the next 10-15 years.
    The trend is our friend
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Why do all bots punctuate the same way? Two clauses, separated by an elllipsis* without preceding or succeeding spaces, no other punctuation at all apart from a capital letter at the start.
    * I don't think this is technically the right word. No doubt someone will correct me.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Three points:

(1) We are not rejoining
    (2) We are not rejoining
    (3) It is possible we will have a closer relationship with the EU in future
    (3a) We are not rejoining

It's about learning to live with your mistake, or in the case of half of us,learning to live with other people's mistake. Once you have eliminated your best option you start rejecting your most damaging alternatives.

So Britain's destiny is Vassal State, I believe.. It takes a long time for people to accept that.
    It will never be "vassal state" because Britain's raw geopolitical power is equal to or surpasses the top two EU members on their level, and that will tell regardless of the formal treaty relationships that have been established.

Were we an Ireland, Belgium or Denmark I'd agree with you.
    LOL, Mr Jingo personified
    I thought I might have spotted Casino in Tesco the other day.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I wouldn't be seen dead in Tesco.
    That suit is a Lidl over the top, but it's scary to think somebody asda wear it Aldi.
  • Options
    German foid price infation jumps to 29% in october. Disastrous

https://twitter.com/thesiriusreport/status/1586252659212025856?s=20&t=gqceeISOopl2FZ5EV93m7w
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It is strange how every single one has exactly the same opinion on UK domestic politics too.
    Can we keep this one for a bit? Teasing the puppy is good harmless fun.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    The Russian defence ministry has got to the bottom of who blew up the Nordstream pipeline. It was of course us (As if anyone was in any doubt!)

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1586317624924938240?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1586318782993399810|twgr^|twcon^s3_&ref_url=

BREAKING: Russia's Defence Ministry say representatives of a British Navy unit blew up the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea. They are calling the incident a "terrorist attack"
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Always a sign of losing the argument is nit picking about punctuation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    Fen Poly:

A Harry Potter-themed formal at Girton College has been cancelled after concerns were raised over the event’s inclusivity, due to its association with the book series’ author, J.K. Rowling....

Initial concerns were raised over the Harry Potter formal on the anonymous submissions page Girthfessions, with one user calling the planned event “inherently transphobic”.

After such concerns emerged, the College’s JCR committee emailed students apologising for any upset caused by the association with Rowling, stating its commitment to creating a safe space for the LGBT+ community, and assuring students that the author would not be profiting in any way from the event.

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/24453
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Can we keep this one for a bit? Teasing the puppy is good harmless fun.
    Only if you promise to clean up the mess it makes.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Would you please tell OFSTED that? They seem to think it's an important part of teaching.
  • Options

The Russian defence ministry has got to the bottom of who blew up the Nordstream pipeline. It was of course us (As if anyone was in any doubt!)

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1586317624924938240?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1586318782993399810|twgr^|twcon^s3_&ref_url=

BREAKING: Russia's Defence Ministry say representatives of a British Navy unit blew up the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea. They are calling the incident a "terrorist attack"

Why would russia blow up its own pipeline...whats the incentive
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,539

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Ukrainians will freeze to death this winter if the West does not urgently send blankets and generators to keep them warm, Vitali Klitschko has said.

The 51-year-old mayor of Kyiv, and former heavyweight boxing champion of the world, told The Telegraph that increasing Russian attacks on power plants have left his country on the brink of a fresh humanitarian crisis. 

“We are doing everything we can do to save the lives of our people and to protect them,” he said, banging his huge fists on the table. 

Its not really
    When as this site claimed to be Libertarian? The owner is a liberal; that's not the same thing.

Heck, there are even three posters who are known to say rude things about Radiohead.
    Really?

And do not forget that Python is a toy. Proper programming is done is Java or C.
    Or Prolog.
  • Options

I'm genuinely astonished. I wouldn't have believed a Navy that has aircraft carriers that can't even float properly could do clever shit like this.

Makes you proud to be British, it really does.
  • Options

For an "irrelevant has-been global laughing stock" we live rent free in a palatial mansion in the Kremlin's head.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Just 23% of voters want to rejoin the full EU with a further 11% wanting to rejoin the single market.

Just 7% of Conservative voters want to rejoin the full EU with a further 12% wanting to rejoin the single market

https://institute.global/policy/moving-how-british-public-views-brexit-and-what-it-wants-future-relationship-european-union

This was a fun poll that's being quoted by either side to prove whatever they want, because they have exceptionally teensy numbers for both "rejoin" and "brexit as it actually exists". The way they get these numbers is by giving the voters multiple types of unicorn, including the epically vague option of "in a new kind of association with the EU unlike anything we know today".
    Not really. It's the Tony Blair Institute and the executive foreword is by the man himself.

Simply, a third want the single market, a third want a closer relationship but not that (think Richard Nabavi's article last month), and a third want the existing Brexit deal or more.

The trend is our friend
    Lots of trends stall, reverse or don't complete in the way you expect them to.

Particularly if you overplay your hand.
  • Options
    Matt le Tissier going off piste about the vaccine here

Who will be the first from the msm to accept responsibility for their part and give the many vaccine injured a platform?

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1585968248503545858?s=20&t=gqceeISOopl2FZ5EV93m7w
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Really?

Python is pipework / glue that connects different systems together. Now I hate it because of its syntax but it serves the purpose and niche that Perl and Bash used to sit in.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

I'm not nitpicking, just pointing out that you mysteriously have the same highly idiosyncratic approach to punctuation ss three of the last five bots to turn up here. Funny, that.
  • Options
    Interesting finding here

mRNA Vaccines Injure the Heart of ALL Vaccine Recipients and Cause Myocarditis in Up to 1 in 27, Study Finds

https://twitter.com/JamesfWells/status/1585918406720917504?s=20&t=gqceeISOopl2FZ5EV93m7w
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm genuinely astonished. I wouldn't have believed a Navy that has aircraft carriers that can't even float properly could do clever shit like this.

Keeping the British end up, Sir.

• Options

Who will be the first from the msm to accept responsibility for their part and give the many vaccine injured a platform?

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1585968248503545858?s=20&t=gqceeISOopl2FZ5EV93m7w

I always recommend checking out Chris Whitty for demonstrations of how to do three keepy uppies and then whack it in the top corner from 30 years too.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

That's also true for getting anywhere on dating apps.

Ladies hate illiteracy.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

Why would russia blow up its own pipeline...whats the incentive
    It didn't say that they did.

I suppose if you believe that blowing up the Nordstream pipes is an act of such sophistication and skill that Russia and the UK would be the only great powers capable of such a thing then the logical conclusion is it must have been us.
  • Options
    Well there's a surprise!

The defence ministry did not give evidence for its claim.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-british-navy-personnel-blew-up-nord-stream-gas-pipelines-2022-10-29/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    I see the ban has arrived.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,539

Why do the trolls always end up on COVID conspiracy theories? Vaccines are dangerous, masks are bad, it came from a lab leak… on and on.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,471

They’ve done us all a favour now. The most conclusive evidence it was them, given everyone who’s been conspiracising in the West including at least one of our own number was blaming the Americans.

Cui bono? Certainly not the gas-price dependent Brits just before winter.
  • Options

Interesting finding here

mRNA Vaccines Injure the Heart of ALL Vaccine Recipients and Cause Myocarditis in Up to 1 in 27, Study Finds

https://twitter.com/JamesfWells/status/1585918406720917504?s=20&t=gqceeISOopl2FZ5EV93m7w

House!

Just before the ban hammer.

Would have liked to see some stats about BA pilots though. That's a good sturdy one I've missed recently.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Keeping the British end up, Sir.

Nobody does it better.
  • Options
    Interesting thread on the problems Musk might face as a result of becoming Twitter's proprietor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1586070566221402113
    I think @elonmusk has made a huge mistake, making himself the global face of content moderation at a critical moment of struggle with governments, while maintaining massive personal exposure to challenging
    countries...
  • Options
    Leon said:

That Vanity Fair article is explosive. It came from the lab, almost certainly

What will this do to West/China relations?

What will it do to virology, and science at large?

Tony Fauci needs to go on trial and - if convicted - do time, as do many top boffins around the world who conspired in the cover-up - Vallance and Farrar in the UK, for a start - and many others

Peter Daszak and others close to the crime need Nuremberg Trials with potential execution at the end, if convicted. Twenty MILLION people have died. Worse than World War One

I have always believed that it came from a lab. Nothing else made sense. The question was whether they did this deliberately or by cock up. Cock up has always looked a strong favourite to me and it remains so. A further and more problematic question was whether it was acceptable for them doing this kind of research in the first place. To which the obvious answer is no. At that point relations do become more problematic.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

Would have liked to see some stats about BA pilots though. That's a good sturdy one I've missed recently.
    Do you think Bot Central keeps a score of how well their Trollers do? Do they have a competition to see how many posts they can get before anyone stops taking them seriously?

Do they give a prize to anyone avoiding a ban hammer for more than fifty posts?
  • Options

Why do the trolls always end up on COVID conspiracy theories? Vaccines are dangerous, masks are bad, it came from a lab leak… on and on.
    It’s part of a self-contained and internally consistent ideological universe.

Do the Russians really believe this stuff or do they just think it’s a useful way to sow discord in the decadent woke West?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

Do you think Bot Central keeps a score of how well their Trollers do? Do they have a competition to see how many posts they can get before anyone stops taking them seriously?

This one only got to two before being rumbled. That's got to be a poor score.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting thread on the problems Musk might face as a result of becoming Twitter's proprietor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1586070566221402113
    I think @elonmusk has made a huge mistake, making himself the global face of content moderation at a critical moment of struggle with governments, while maintaining massive personal exposure to challenging
    countries...

Alternatively if Trump takes the US into the axis of dictators Musk could be on track to be world king by 2040.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

And I wanted to ask about the foids that Germany can no longer afford.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Really?

Python is pipework / glue that connects different systems together. Now I hate it because of its syntax but it serves the purpose and niche that Perl and Bash used to sit in.
    Hey - I was writing some Perl last week. And I can almost still understand it this week!
  • Options
    Anyway, living to earn.

Later peeps. Enjoy, and I hope any other Russian bots are as silly as that one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Tony Fauci needs to go on trial and - if convicted - do time, as do many top boffins around the world who conspired in the cover-up - Vallance and Farrar in the UK, for a start - and many others

Peter Daszak and others close to the crime need Nuremberg Trials with potential execution at the end, if convicted. Twenty MILLION people have died. Worse than World War One

I have always believed that it came from a lab. Nothing else made sense. The question was whether they did this deliberately or by cock up. Cock up has always looked a strong favourite to me and it remains so. A further and more problematic question was whether it was acceptable for them doing this kind of research in the first place. To which the obvious answer is no. At that point relations do become more problematic.
    I’ve leaned that way too. Unlike the usual wild conspiracy theories this one seems to stack up better than the wet market theory.

It doesn’t even require any kind of series of improbable events to explain it. Lab leaks happen, including famously here in the UK.

The overwrought shoutiness of scientists dismissing lab leak is also odd and unnecessary. It may or may not be the right answer but its really not that “out there” as an explanation.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Something will only happen when it becomes convenient for the west to fall out with China. At the moment it will be consigned to the fringes of the debate and dismissed as a conspiracy theory.
    It is no longer a conspiracy theory. That Vanity Fair article - on top of so much other evidence - is pretty conclusive. The evidence all points to a lab leak. A small but bitter minority of virologists - nearly all (all?) linked to China - pretend otherwise. For a year there was a massive cover-up to stop us even thinking about the lab leak, involving senior scientists, politicians, et al, right across the West

I have no idea how this will play out. Unprecedented
    This contradicts the last thing you thought was pretty conclusive, which was that the leak had happened 6 months earlier.

I don't have a strong opinion for against a lab leak but when stuff like this comes out I'd wait a bit for other people to look at these claims and get some other takes - for example this claims the story is based on reading between the lines of a mistranslation. My Chinese is too shitty to be sure but maybe wait and see what some other Chinese speakers think.
    https://twitter.com/zhihuachen/status/1586271619684896769
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

This one only got to two before being rumbled. That's got to be a poor score.
    So he wins a weekend in Norilsk?
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

I think it's the same one just trying to better themselves each time since they knew who the ban would probably come from.
  • Options

Fen Poly:

A Harry Potter-themed formal at Girton College has been cancelled after concerns were raised over the event’s inclusivity, due to its association with the book series’ author, J.K. Rowling....

Initial concerns were raised over the Harry Potter formal on the anonymous submissions page Girthfessions, with one user calling the planned event “inherently transphobic”.

After such concerns emerged, the College’s JCR committee emailed students apologising for any upset caused by the association with Rowling, stating its commitment to creating a safe space for the LGBT+ community, and assuring students that the author would not be profiting in any way from the event.

A few years ago (like 2014) for Halloween I dressed up as Jimmy Savile.

I wonder how that would go this weekend?
  • Options

If only we were this effective in the real world. Our greatest achievement of late has been the vicarious one of seeing how dramatically better the Ukranian forces have become with some UK training. Which is, in fairness, something to be proud of.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

HYUFD said:

Ddddd
    The trend is our friend

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

You're wrong. He doesn't hang out with anyone. The "some people say that..." is the "I think that..." when yourddd know everyone will call you an arse for saying it.

You've come here to shift the Overton window so that Leon seems rational and level-headed?
  • Options

Fen Poly:

There used to be a number of DJs who made a steady living as Jimmy Saville impersonators.

Bottom rather dropped out of that market.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    On topic: people voted for it and it (eventually) happened. So until the federalists come up with a better plan for getting the British people to consent to joining the euro and Schengen than they had for getting them to consent to staying in six years ago, then there's nothing to talk about.
  • Options

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Lefties keep talking about a "honeymoon period" which is just a sign they aren't paying attention. This is not a honeymoon period.

• Options
    Driver said:

On topic: people voted for it and it (eventually) happened. So until the federalists come up with a better plan for getting the British people to consent to joining the euro and Schengen than they had for getting them to consent to staying in six years ago, then there's nothing to talk about.

Why do we have to talk about anything? People are turning against it without anyone cajoling them or lecturing them.

But it is odd that Northern Ireland, the only part of the UK still in the Single Market, is managing significantly better than Great Britain.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Driver said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Lefties keep talking about a "honeymoon period" which is just a sign they aren't paying attention. This is not a honeymoon period.

I am sure the Tories will be very comforted by that thought.
  • Options

Memo to Russian Trolls.

Don’t use the same IP addresses that are black listed as troll farms.

Any idea who funds them, and why?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Memo to Russian Trolls.

Any idea who funds them, and why?
    Just be grateful that they distract us on a Brexit post....
  • Options

Driver said:

Why do we have to talk about anything? People are turning against it without anyone cajoling them or lecturing them.
    "Turning against it" doesn't do the federalists any good though, unless they can sell joining the euro and Schengen to the British people. No sign of that happening.
  • Options

Fen Poly:

There used to be a number of DJs who made a steady living as Jimmy Saville impersonators.

Ditto Gary Glitter tribute acts....
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Memo to Russian Trolls.

Polish the Ban Hammer for action!

[Edit: I see the Hammer has fallen]
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Well there's a surprise!

The defence ministry did not give evidence for its claim.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-british-navy-personnel-blew-up-nord-stream-gas-pipelines-2022-10-29/

delete
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Driver said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Isn’t it? Isn’t a new leader bounce a proven historical precedence?

Would you like to explain what you mean?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Really?

Hey - I was writing some Perl last week. And I can almost still understand it this week!
    That is a once in a program experience. Your next Perl program will be the usual gibberish!
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Really?

TBF to Python, it is a vast improvement on stuff like Perl (Bash I can cope with even though I hate the syntax). I think Python has also moved into the space that used to be occupied by BASIC - nice and quick to throw something together to test a concept.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting finding here

House!

And I wanted to ask about the foids that Germany can no longer afford.
    Would you offer Jager Soße with a plate of foid?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Really?

Or Prolog.
    Good grief! Is that still going?
  • Options
    Driver said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Arrogant as usual.
  • Options

Driver said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Would you like to explain what you mean?
    It's not remotely a honeymoon period - that requires there to be positive coverage. "Relief that Truss has gone" is not positive coverage.

Sunak has taken over in an unprecedented position of shittiness. Suggesting he's failing because he hasn't bounced to 35% overnight shows a lack of understanding of the circumstances.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,118
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Why ‘nothing else’? New viruses make the transition between species rather frequently. What do you is the origin of the original SARS? Or MERS?
    It’s possible it came from the lab, for sure, but asserting ‘nothing else’ makes sense is too strong.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Those saying that we will never rejoin or that it's not going to happen are, basically, projecting out of their fear that it might actually happen.

It's called DENIAL.

It might happen. I'm not stating that it will because no one can say for certain either way. But in terms of reasons why we might rejoin, and opinion polling, currently favour something better than Evens.

That's called being objective.

Have a nice weekend.

xx
  • Options

Driver said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Yes.

Until Liz Truss every new leader experienced a polling lift.

Once again this is verifiable through polling and is therefore objective.

I really do hope that the closer to the next election we get those (like me) with firm desires will learn to bracket out [ ] their own beliefs in favour of as objective an analysis as possible. Not always possible but at least strive for it. This place is at its best when it's not a strident bear pit. Leave that to the likes of Guido Fawkes and Elon Musk's latest plaything.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Why ‘nothing else’? New viruses make the transition between species rather frequently. What do you is the origin of the original SARS? Or MERS?
    It’s possible it came from the lab, for sure, but asserting ‘nothing else’ makes sense is too strong.
    Historical viruses were engineered by the Silurians in an underground basement in London.

Alternatively you could go for the "Intelligent Design" :D:D approach that a loving, compassionate god decided to inflict Covid on to humanity because he was bored making ichneumon wasps
  • Options

Fen Poly:

Ditto Gary Glitter tribute acts....
    I used to do Jake the Peg for fancy dress parties. Easy to do and with a bit of practice on my part people struggled to work out which the false leg was (I think drink played a part in the failures as a process of elimination made it quite easy really no matter how good I was). I still have the leg many, many decades later. However nobody has heard of him now and if they had it is rather inappropriate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

What I meant by "nothing else" is the circumstantial evidence relating to the work being undertaken by the lab in Wuhan, the nature of that work and its close alignment with the Covid virus and the opportunities that arose for a leak to break into the wet market.

Yes, nature can still throw the odd googly at us but it would be astounding if it just happened to do so where all of that was going on.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Historical viruses were engineered by the Silurians in an underground basement in London.

Alternatively you could go for the "Intelligent Design" :D:D approach that a loving, compassionate god decided to inflict Covid on to humanity because he was bored making ichneumon wasps
    Or that, as anyone who has spent time in Asian food markets will know, the transference from animal to human is a totally plausible jump.

Arguing with conspiracists and loons (like Leon) is a waste of time. They already get more oxygen than they deserve.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

For me the piece that always seemed Ill-fitting was the fact the coronavirus carrying bats associated with this virus live hundreds of miles to the South in Yunnan (whereas the lab testing them and developing SARS viruses was a brisk walk away from Wuhan market).

To explain zoonotic origin the virologists need to explain how it got from bats in caves in Yunnan either directly into a Wigan inhabitant or into an intermediate species.

There are various midway explanations which seem more credible than direct transmission with no involvement of the lab. Like a scientist catching it off a bat while doing fieldwork then coming back as a carrier, or a lab employee selling off illegal bat meat under the counter, and so on.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

Memo to Russian Trolls.

Polish the Ban Hammer for action!

[Edit: I see the Hammer has fallen]
    It's interesting that Russian trolls seem to encouraged to spout anti-vax nonsense, alongside the anti-Ukraine stuff. Is it because they have found that strong anti-vaxxers will like you no matter what so long as you say something against vaccines?

I've seen it in a friend who would be normally passionately against Desantis and everything he stands for, says he is a "hero" just because she is anti-vax. And it is starting to make her receptive to all the other shit he says
This discussion has been closed.