Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Let’s talk about Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

Farooq said:

Interesting read on Rishi Sunak. This is what they say

He has been tasked with first creating a financial crisis through printing billions with "furlough" then initiating the "solution" - e.g.a combination of CBDCs, digital IDs&social credit scoring

Thesis is Sunak is an intelligence asset sent to destroy the UK

https://twitter.com/Heachy_1979/status/1584937475985723392?s=20&t=tLZGUltZd4jXB7tumv6pcQ

Let me be the first to say you're a mentalist
    It is a hypothesis others are putting forward that Sunak is an intelligence asset. Key to it is noone remembers him from his time at Stanford..
    Then it's wrong. Both James Van Horne and Derrick Bolton remember him.

https://stanforddaily.com/2022/10/24/former-stanford-mba-student-selected-uks-next-prime-minister/
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Good point though.

Working at Auckland Uni in 1998 they had unisex toilets. It’s been around a while.
    Most homes* have unisex toilets too.

*I can’t be sure there aren’t some weirdos who split their toilets up at home.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268
    Who the fuck could have guessed IT CAME FROM THE LAB

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/10/covid-origins-investigation-wuhan-lab
  • Things looking bleak in Kyiv at the moment. This from the telegraph

Ukrainians will freeze to death this winter if the West does not urgently send blankets and generators to keep them warm, Vitali Klitschko has said.

The 51-year-old mayor of Kyiv, and former heavyweight boxing champion of the world, told The Telegraph that increasing Russian attacks on power plants have left his country on the brink of a fresh humanitarian crisis. 

“We are doing everything we can do to save the lives of our people and to protect them,” he said, banging his huge fists on the table. 

“But this winter will definitely be a huge challenge for us.”

How that must cheer your little dark heart....
    It worries me greatly. We could have a humanitarian catastrophe in ukraine this winter...yet both sides have rigid negotiating positions

I've just had an MRI scan, have a good weekend.

And you, hope all is well.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I for one am overjoyed now we have our own person of colour leading the country we immediately have own own iteration of the birther conspiracy theory. GTF.
    edited October 2022

Things looking bleak in Kyiv at the moment. This from the telegraph

Ukrainians will freeze to death this winter if the West does not urgently send blankets and generators to keep them warm, Vitali Klitschko has said.

The 51-year-old mayor of Kyiv, and former heavyweight boxing champion of the world, told The Telegraph that increasing Russian attacks on power plants have left his country on the brink of a fresh humanitarian crisis. 

“We are doing everything we can do to save the lives of our people and to protect them,” he said, banging his huge fists on the table. 

It worries me greatly. We could have a humanitarian catastrophe in ukraine this winter...yet both sides have rigid negotiating positions
    What negotiating position do you suggest Ukraine adopt?

Bearing in mind, they have been invaded for no obvious reason by a neighbour led by a man who is clearly one sandwich short of a picnic and who has broken every single treaty he's ever signed.
  • Interesting that most at Stanford didnt have personak memories of Sunak despite him being so exceotional...interesting

When asked about his time at Stanford during his initial run in August, most GSB deans and professors told The Guardian they did not have many personal memories of Sunak. B
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,804
    Farooq said:

He has been tasked with first creating a financial crisis through printing billions with "furlough" then initiating the "solution" - e.g.a combination of CBDCs, digital IDs&social credit scoring

https://twitter.com/Heachy_1979/status/1584937475985723392?s=20&t=tLZGUltZd4jXB7tumv6pcQ

Seems like PB has been downgraded and is only worth a basic model now that all the Tory electioneering is done. It feels like a slight. They were giving us models that could go for a hundred posts or more before going off the rails.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    edited October 2022
    kamski said:

Taz said:

kamski said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Three points:

(1) We are not rejoining

[etc.]

Repeating it doesn't make it any the more true.

I think with respect that if you lived in the UK you'd possibly have a different perspective on this. It's a shitshow and most of us now realise it.
    Nevertheless, it is patently and obviously true.

The UK will not seek readmission to the EU in your or my lifetime, and even if they did (which they won't), they wouldn't take us.
    Really, the more assertive you are the less impressed I am with you stating it. You've provided no backing except a strident viewpoint.

It's perfectly plausible.

I mentioned a week or two back that when we have a new Labour Government, the mood will continue to change. Quite significantly so. And in those circumstances the pressures to rejoin will increase further, especially if we continue to struggle economically outside of the bloc. I could see a referendum to rejoin being part of Labour's second term in office, assuming they have one.

Remember too that with every passing year and month, more of the Brexit demographic dies. Literally.

Happy to actually have some money on this if you like:

Full Fat Membership of the EU by 2032, I'll give you 10-1.

Your call.
    Ha! So now your 'never in our lifetimes' has shrunk to 9 years and to 'Full Fat Membership.'

That's a massive moving of the goalposts.

I said that: 'If the UK continues to struggle economically then the pressure to rejoin will probably become irresistible. I can see a referendum to rejoin in the next 20 years as being plausible.'

I'd go back to your original assertion, endlessly repeated, that it will never happen, then qualified by 'never happen in our lifetimes'.

I think you're missing the mood on this Robert. Not just anecdotally either. Polling.
    So, that’s just a long winded way of saying no to Robert’s bet.
    Alternatively, RCS1000 going from 0% chance in our lifetimes, to 10-1 in 10 years is either offering odds so miserly it would make the greediest bookie blush, or he's effectively admitting his other categorical statements were wrong. Only an idiot would take that bet.

What about 1000-1 on Britain becoming a full member by 2040?
    He can hardly offer a bit fifty years hence.

Heathener is being disingenuous.,she should take the bet.
    2040 is in 50 years?

Heathener said a rejoin referendum within 20 years was plausible.

I think any bet to be settled in many years made on an anonymous forum is unrealistic.

I certainly wouldn't back rejoin within 10 years at 10-1, but isn't it also disingenuous to pretend that those odds are a fair reflection of "impossible within our lifetimes". I'd say rejoin within 25 years at anything above 30-1 would definitely be hypothetical value (assuming not having to stump up losing stake until bet is settled).
    Obviously 2040 is not fifty years hence, I was looking at the original bet.

Heathener talks the talk, but won’t walk the walk. She should have took the bet if she was arguing sincerely.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

ohnotnow said:

Rather OT, but I see that Octopus are officially taking over the remnants of Bulb : https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63437352

What's this got to do with Leon?
    Whose Leon? Should we have a thread about him?
    Whose Leon? Leon belongs to all of us. He is the commonwealth of all humanity.

We are all Leon.
    No! I'm Leon!!!....
    I'm not.

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

ohnotnow said:

Rather OT, but I see that Octopus are officially taking over the remnants of Bulb : https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63437352

We are all Leon.
    No! I'm Leon!!!....
    I'm not.
    That's what Byronic said...
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    ydoethur said:

It's going to have to be more or less (probably less) the 2014 borders because the Ukrainians aren't going all the way to Moscow (or even Rostov) and the Russians aren't going all the way to Kiev.
  • ydoethur said:

Bearing in mind, they have been invaded for no obvious reason by a neighbour led by a man who is clearly one sandwich short of a picnic and who has broken every single treaty he's ever signed.
    Firstly zelensky should abandon his claims on Crimea...thats a start
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

It's going to have to be more or less (probably less) the 2014 borders because the Ukrainians aren't going all the way to Moscow (or even Rostov) and the Russians aren't going all the way to Kiev.
    So basically, Russians to withdraw from Ukraine?

I think that's a sound negotiating position. I'm sure the Ukrainians would be happy with that.
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

Why?

PS - Incidentally, Zelensky has no claim on Crimea. We're talking about Ukraine not a personal fiefdom.
  • Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Yes agreed and rhetoric needs to be toned down on zelenskys side...we cant do anything about putin

Farooq said:

It is a hypothesis others are putting forward that Sunak is an intelligence asset. Key to it is noone remembers him from his time at Stanford..
    It is a hypothesis others are putting forward that China are going to forget Taiwan for a while - and instead take a bloody great big chunk of Russia, now that Ukraine has destroyed most of Russia's ability to stop them.

How's your Mandarin?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Methinks Chris Heaton will be in receipt of a PB ban within hours.

For all the so called Libertarian facade of the site

Its not really
  • Its easy here in the west to be warmongereres

But think of the poor children in ukraine suffering and dying in the cold this winter...lets have some empathy for them

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Yes agreed and rhetoric needs to be toned down on zelenskys side...we cant do anything about putin
    His rhetoric is that Russia should withdraw from Ukraine, stop murdering Ukrainians and refrain from destroying all their infrastructure.

You've just said that was a sound negotiating position.

So why would he need to tone down his rhetoric?
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

ohnotnow said:

We are all Leon.
    No! I'm Leon!!!....
    I'm not.
    That's what Byronic said...
    Damn. Have I just outed myself as another of the SeanT multiverses?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Why?

PS - Incidentally, Zelensky has no claim on Crimea. We're talking about Ukraine not a personal fiefdom.
    Exactly. And the ongoing departure of Russians who relocated to Crimea tells you something. They aren't exactly defending the Motherland in the way ordinary people in Ukraine are defending their homes.

Its not really
    It allows admirers of Boris Johnson to post a load of mindless hate against Keir Starmer. What more proof do you need it's libertarian?

Its not really
    Well people on PB wont be suffering like the ukrainians this winter...so far to them the war is like call of duty
    edited October 2022

Its not really
    When has this site claimed to be Libertarian? The owner is a liberal; that's not the same thing.
  • ydoethur said:

Its easy here in the west to be warmongereres

But think of the poor children in ukraine suffering and dying in the cold this winter...lets have some empathy for them

Agreed.

The sooner the Russians feck off and stop causing them misery, the better.
    But they are not going to do. They have reinforced their positions. Do you support nato troops on the ground to force them out
    Farooq said:

Its not really
    When as this site claimed to be Libertarian? The owner is a liberal; that's not the same thing.
    You can get away with lots of things on here.

Heck, there are even three posters who are known to say rude things about Radiohead.

"here in the west" == "how do you do, fellow kids?"
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572

We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

In other words, not much change. Certainly not enough to calm Tory nerves.

How long will the party wait without an upswing before they become restless again? A month? Six months? Certainly not a year.

A 27% point deficit for the governing party during their leader's honeymoon period should set the alarm bells ringing.

And that's with Sunak's personal ratings actually dragging up the Conservative vote. Those ratings date back to his actions with furlough etc, and I don't think they'll hold up after the economic entrenchment to come. Efforts from the person who was Chancellor for most of this parliament to dodge the bullet and claim that the economic mess is all Truss's fault are risible.

Nor do I think he has much political nous. For a start, he's standing in the way of the king taking up the invite to COPT26, at the same time as signalling a renewal of the restrictions on onshore windfarms that have all but killed off new developments. Unnecessary and avoidable own goals that will have already alienated any voter who thinks that tackling climate change should be a priority.

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

But they are not going to do. They have reinforced their positions. Do you support nato troops on the ground to force them out
    Well, you were the one calling for empathy and an end to the suffering.

Why not ask the Russians to show some? After all, it's in their power to stop this war tomorrow.

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

False dichotomy. Next.
    Farooq said:

"here in the west" == "how do you do, fellow kids?"
    For me the more interesting news is apparently we don't often use central heating in October.

I haven't used it this month, but that's for the first October ever.

Its not really
    Well people on PB wont be suffering like the ukrainians this winter...so far to them the war is like call of duty
    Try using a full stop, helps disuise you a bit.
    If you think people in the U.K. haven’t been directly affected by the illegal Russian assault on Ukraine you clearly don’t live here. Millions are having to make tough decisions about eating vs heating. Millions are worried about being able to pay bills. Most people hear are backing Ukraine as they are the innocent victims of nationalist aggression, just as Russia was in 1941.
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really
    When as this site claimed to be Libertarian? The owner is a liberal; that's not the same thing.

Heck, there are even three posters who are known to say rude things about Radiohead.
    Poor, misguided fools though.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Why not ask the Russians to show some? After all, it's in their power to stop this war tomorrow.
    Yes but we cant control wjat the russians do. You dont want a peace deal but i doubt you want poor ukrainian children to freeze to death this winter. So isnt the next logicalstep nato troops on the ground

Its not really
    Try using a full stop, helps disuise you a bit.
    If you think people in the U.K. haven’t been directly affected by the illegal Russian assault on Ukraine you clearly don’t live here. Millions are having to make tough decisions about eating vs heating. Millions are worried about being able to pay bills. Most people hear are backing Ukraine as they are the innocent victims of nationalist aggression, just as Russia was in 1941.
    Not the same as being bombed or without power though is it
    ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Looks like they may have little option if this is right.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1586033132171849728?s=61&t=-_QCiLtrq2iOnjVNKSjnDQ
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

Tucker Carlson here warning about only 24 days of diesel fuel left

https://twitter.com/samanthamarika1/status/1586086467171860480?s=20&t=cNHCqIbB6h9jzrmgYmhntg

Anyway, while we’ve got you here, when are you going to call the Northern Ireland Assembly election for?

Mildest October temperatures across Europe since 1879.

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1586287951155077120

Even the weather Gods hate Putin.

To be fair though even in a normal october you dont use your heating mych. The next 4 months are critical
    NOT A HOLIDAY

Another Gazette commission
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Reinforced with a bunch of untrained, unequipped conscripts who may also be praying for a mild winter. What sort of state is the Russian economy in if troops are having to buy their own supplies? Looking at it from my own ivory tower things may not end well for them.
  • Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Looks like they may have little option if this is right.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1586033132171849728?s=61&t=-_QCiLtrq2iOnjVNKSjnDQ
    Even if thats correct the russians stay in place whilst little ukrainians suffer....
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

False dichotomy. Next.
    Do we think those "reinforced positions" with demotivated troops, supply lines under constant attack, partisan warfare, the ability to do end-runs around the defences, defeat in the south and the cutting of the land bridge into Crimea, are going to be worth anything come the Spring?

This is Ukraine defending its territory.

The only outcome I can see as acceptable to Ukraine is military defeat for Russia, and a diplomatic post-war settlement that neuters their ability to do this again.

Tucker Carlson here warning about only 24 days of diesel fuel left

https://twitter.com/samanthamarika1/status/1586086467171860480?s=20&t=cNHCqIbB6h9jzrmgYmhntg

Anyway, while we’ve got you here, when are you going to call the Northern Ireland Assembly election for?
    We say NEVER
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Yes but we cant control wjat the russians do. You dont want a peace deal but i doubt you want poor ukrainian children to freeze to death this winter. So isnt the next logicalstep nato troops on the ground
    No, but they can. So why not tell them to 'show some empathy?'

If you think there should be protests against the continuation of the war, wouldn't they be more effective in Moscow and Minsk than in London and Paris?

Especially since the people of Russia are suffering, and will continue to suffer, until the war is abandoned and Russia can start rebuilding its wrecked economy. Which won't happen until they've left Ukraine, including Crimea.

As for negotiations, the Ukrainians are the ones on the offensive except in one pocket around Bakhmut, while Russian logistics look to be imploding. Isn't it rather Russia that should be seeking a quick end to the war before they implode?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Ah but that doesn't fit with the "force of nature" narrative tankies like to put forward. Russia, in their view, is a singular black box machine. Inscrutable and incapable of being influenced. It is an idea that transcends the humans that comprise it.
    The whole "poke the bear" narrative plugs into this view. An animal is pure and amoral. It will react in a way untroubled by human vice or virtue. All choice and doubt therefore falls onto those who would interact with it. It's a narrative that seeks to avoid awkward moral questions by dehumanising the leadership of the Russian state and depicting it as you would weather. Russia just happens. It's up to Ukrainians to accommodate and adapt. It's pure bollocks.
  • We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

How long will the party wait without an upswing before they become restless again? A month? Six months? Certainly not a year.

A 27% point deficit for the governing party during their leader's honeymoon period should set the alarm bells ringing.

And that's with Sunak's personal ratings actually dragging up the Conservative vote. Those ratings date back to his actions with furlough etc, and I don't think they'll hold up after the economic entrenchment to come. Efforts from the person who was Chancellor for most of this parliament to dodge the bullet and claim that the economic mess is all Truss's fault are risible.

Nor do I think he has much political nous. For a start, he's standing in the way of the king taking up the invite to COPT26, at the same time as signalling a renewal of the restrictions on onshore windfarms that have all but killed off new developments. Unnecessary and avoidable own goals that will have already alienated any voter who thinks that tackling climate change should be a priority.

Sunak is a dead duck. In conversations ive had with people they say to me they dont trust him together with some aspersions to "that indian" This is a deeply divided country now
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    🐎 A BETTING POST

Four from me as usual. Seasons getting proper stuff now. Knitting whilst watching the racing. My gran would be so proud of me 😇

1.50 Wetherby
    Macavity long shot of week
    Hurdling Debut for points winner. 7-1 drew me in closer.

2.05 Ascot
    Anyharminasking NAP
    Why am I giving this one napoleon? There’s no harm in asking as this is an up and coming superstar of the racing universe!

2.40 Ascot
    Amoola Gold
    Another one from last seasons book. With little recent runs from fancied runners, I trust my previous due diligence in race history

3.15 Ascot
    Major Dundee E/W
    Is Dundee another Major up and coming superstar? My each way bet of the week and will be surprised if not placed in this big race of the day.

Enjoy Saturday 😘

We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Sunak is a dead duck. In conversations ive had with people they say to me they dont trust him together with some aspersions to "that indian" This is a deeply divided country now
    Well, I'm sure they don't. There he was, seen as the best chance of stopping NATO intervention in Ukraine as Chancellor, watching the pennies, and now he's PM he's still supporting them.

It must be very confusing in your country right now. Particularly given you are clearly worried about power, food and the implosion of the army.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Its not really

Poor, misguided fools though.
    Philip Selway’s got a new solo album out in February.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

I think that says rather more about the people which you hang out with than anything else.
    That Vanity Fair article is explosive. It came from the lab, almost certainly

What will this do to West/China relations?

What will it do to virology, and science at large?

Tony Fauci needs to go on trial and - if convicted - do time, as do many top boffins around the world who conspired in the cover-up - Vallance and Farrar in the UK, for a start - and many others

Peter Daszak and others close to the crime need Nuremberg Trials with potential execution at the end, if convicted. Twenty MILLION people have died. Worse than World War One
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

If you think there should be protests against the continuation of the war, wouldn't they be more effective in Moscow and Minsk than in London and Paris?

Especially since the people of Russia are suffering, and will continue to suffer, until the war is abandoned and Russia can start rebuilding its wrecked economy. Which won't happen until they've left Ukraine, including Crimea.

As for negotiations, the Ukrainians are the ones on the offensive except in one pocket around Bakhmut, while Russian logistics look to be imploding. Isn't it rather Russia that should be seeking a quick end to the war before they implode?
    Putin has the ability to bring a quick end, in fact he keeps banging on about it.

I am not in favour of that scenario though, but the more you corner a rat

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Reinforced with a bunch of untrained, unequipped conscripts who may also be praying for a mild winter. What sort of state is the Russian economy in if troops are having to buy their own supplies? Looking at it from my own ivory tower things may not end well for them.
    Wouldn't a mild winter mean it was very muddy and difficult to move everything around, including food and fuel?

If so, Russia have ingeniously got to the situation where they're fucked if the weather's good, and fucked if it's bad.

Which you've got to admire in a way. It takes talent to get to such a perfectly balanced disaster.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

I think the ukrainian offensive has stalled...you fail to realise we cant control Russia so expecting Putin to suddenly turn into a cuddly teddy bear is a bit futile...and dont you care about the ukrainian children...think of them shivering in the cold and dark...
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Its not really
    Surely the libertarian position is that the website is free to set its own terms of engagement and that's it. If you come on here and adopt an overtly pro-Russian position you'll be banned under the pretence that it's 'trolling' or somesuch. There is nothing stopping you setting up your own website where Ukrainian Super Friends get their arses kicked off.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Bakhmut is a meat grinder for Russian conscripts. The ground is said to be like bitumen - with the remains of flesh. That's what HIMARS will do.

And all so the Wagner Group can claim their "success fees". They took 3 months to capture a quarry there - then lost it again in 48 hours. I hope they haven't been paid for that "success"....

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Putin has the ability to bring a quick end, in fact he keeps banging on about it.

Oh, I think I could live with his suicide. Even if he couldn't.

Oh sorry, are you referring to nukes?
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

I think the ukrainian offensive has stalled...you fail to realise we cant control Russia so expecting Putin to suddenly turn into a cuddly teddy bear is a bit futile...and dont you care about the ukrainian children...think of them shivering in the cold and dark...
    What makes you think we can control Ukraine now either?

Has it occurred to you that in the awful state of the Russian army the Ukrainians may no longer need Western arms to oust the occupying forces?

Edit - incidentally, Ukraine are still advancing. They are advancing more slowly because the rasputista has started. But they made further gains near both Kherson and Kreminna.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

Something set on fire in Sevastopol naval base this morning. How will Putin reward the lackey who gives him that news?

So give him our regards for us.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1586286635708076032
    Luckily the attacking drones were destroyed before they could do any damage, which was lucky because otherwise they might have disrupted their regular scheduled setting things on fire exercise.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Oh, I think I could live with his suicide. Even if he couldn't.

Oh sorry, are you referring to nukes?
    Never mentioned Akehurst
    Leon said:

Tony Fauci needs to go on trial and - if convicted - do time, as do many top boffins around the world who conspired in the cover-up - Vallance and Farrar in the UK, for a start - and many others

Peter Daszak and others close to the crime need Nuremberg Trials with potential execution at the end, if convicted. Twenty MILLION people have died. Worse than World War One

Something will only happen when it becomes convenient for the west to fall out with China. At the moment it will be consigned to the fringes of the debate and dismissed as a conspiracy theory.
  • We have now had 7 polls since Rishi Sunak took over. Here’s the average VI (compared to average VI in the last 7 polls under Truss):

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

I think that says rather more about the people which you hang out with than anything else.
    Not really i hang with normal people not the liberal left elite. Ordinary people dont want Sunak
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Yes as Leon says we are gambling with a nuclear escalation over a non nato country....maybe worth it if western europe was being invaded but over ukraine??
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

@rcs1000

'The UK will not seek readmission to the EU in your or my lifetime, and even if they did (which they won't), they wouldn't take us.'

That's about all that can be said, all that needs to be said on the subject.

There probably isn't a bigger Europhile on this Site than me and I have zero interest in rejoining, and zero expection that it will happen.

We have made our bed. Now we lie in it.

Should it continue to grow more uncomfortable, we might just decide to change beds.

Nothing is forever.

While I have no expectations of much, if any movement in the next five years, those looking ahead towards the end of this decade will likely have a very different perspective.
    Can we please spare a thought for the people of Kalinnigrad. Currently defenceless after their 11 Army Corps was destroyed in Ukraine. Given the aggressive intentions of the Nato alliance that surrounds them on all sides it can't be long before they face an incursion.

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Not really i hang with normal people not the liberal left elite. Ordinary people dont want Sunak
    Reading your post I would suggest you hang out with deeply unpleasant people
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Something will only happen when it becomes convenient for the west to fall out with China. At the moment it will be consigned to the fringes of the debate and dismissed as a conspiracy theory.
    It is no longer a conspiracy theory. That Vanity Fair article - on top of so much other evidence - is pretty conclusive. The evidence all points to a lab leak. A small but bitter minority of virologists - nearly all (all?) linked to China - pretend otherwise. For a year there was a massive cover-up to stop us even thinking about the lab leak, involving senior scientists, politicians, et al, right across the West

I have no idea how this will play out. Unprecedented
  • Taz said:

Leon said:

Fauci had a lab in Wuhan....many think covid was the opening act of ww3

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Yes as Leon says we are gambling with a nuclear escalation over a non nato country....maybe worth it if western europe was being invaded but over ukraine??
    Because obviously, Ukraine being invaded would have no impact on the rest of the world. It's only those Ukrainians and their children that you claim to care about so much that get raped, tortured and murdered. So why don't we just leave them to it?

Is that the empathy you're talking about?

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

It's people on the left who like Sunak the least you utter fool:
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Rishi_Sunak

41% popularity with Conservatives, 7% with Labour, 13% with Lib Dems.

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Not really the liberal elite hide behind diversity as it increases their own power....its pure self interest on their part
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

You're new here, aren't you?

Hello and welcome.

Most of us have learned not to take things Leon says that seriously.

With interest, but not seriously.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Everyone said the Kharkiv offensive had stalled too. Until those months of Ukrainians probing for weak spots, working out who to encircle, mapping out the battlefield, all came together in a blitzkrieg that rocked the Russian army to its core. So much so, it needed to top up the 200,000 initial soldiers it threw into war with Ukraine with 300,000 more - at least, those who weren't savvy enough/too poor/too pissed to get out of Russia's borders.

There's a swathe of 20-45 year olds who were smart, entrepreneurial, driven - they have left Russia. Once they have lived in a society free of Putin's goons, they aren't coming back.

What's left back in Russia are the poor, the stupid, the alcoholic. You can see it in the poor quality of the remaining bots.

Can we please spare a thought for the people of Kalinnigrad. Currently defenceless after their 11 Army Corps was destroyed in Ukraine. Given the aggressive intentions of the Nato alliance that surrounds them on all sides it can't be long before they face an incursion.

Calais survived for centuries as an English city, even though half the time its garrison was in England propping up the King.

Because the French didn't actually want it that badly...

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

Not really the liberal elite hide behind diversity as it increases their own power....its pure self interest on their part
    You hang around with the liberal elite? That really is deep cover.

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

You're wrong. He doesn't hang out with anyone. The "some people say that..." is the "I think that..." when you know everyone will call you an arse for saying it.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Because obviously, Ukraine being invaded would have no impact on the rest of the world. It's only those Ukrainians and their children that you claim to care about so much that get raped, tortured and murdered. So why don't we just leave them to it?

If the russian army is so useless how would they threaten the rest of the world

Taz said:

Leon said:

‘Many’, no, not really.

Taz said:

Leon said:

"many"?

You need to broaden your circle of friends internet chat rooms.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Russian warheads: frightening
    Russian army: an absolute joke
  • Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

You're wrong. He doesn't hang out with anyone. The "some people say that..." is the "I think that..." when you know everyone will call you an arse for saying it.
    You clearly dont know the british people like i do...many are fuming inside
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

We're not talking about the rest of the world. We're talking about Ukraine.

It would be nice if you showed some empathy with the Ukrainian people. After all, you were yourself calling for it.

But apparently you don't care if they're raped, tortured, murdered, driven from their homes, unable to sell their grain and can't grow food for themselves, as long as the Russians are doing it.

That's - interesting.

I think my one plus point is you haven't talked about BA yet, but otherwise, you're a real disappointment. We had much classier Russian bots on here recently. Dynamo could even hold an intelligent conversation for 30 seconds, although he had a Father Jack like tendency to revert to type after that.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Everyone said the Kharkiv offensive had stalled too. Until those months of Ukrainians probing for weak spots, working out who to encircle, mapping out the battlefield, all came together in a blitzkrieg that rocked the Russian army to its core. So much so, it needed to top up the 200,000 initial soldiers it threw into war with Ukraine with 300,000 more - at least, those who weren't savvy enough/too poor/too pissed to get out of Russia's borders.

There's a swathe of 20-45 year olds who were smart, entrepreneurial, driven - they have left Russia. Once they have lived in a society free of Putin's goons, they aren't coming back.

What's left back in Russia are the poor, the stupid, the alcoholic. You can see it in the poor quality of the remaining bots.
    Absolutely.

For the future of Mother Russia this war has been a disaster and losing its brightest and best young people will be catastropic. But the nations they come to,will be the beneficiaries.

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

While the country that invaded them continues to call for the complete destruction of the Ukrainian state, you opine that Zelensky needs to "tone down the rhetoric".

Pitiful stuff.

The fact is that Ukraine has a negotiating position, which as in any negotiation will always be maximalist at the outset.
    Russia's position effectively requires Ukraine's surrender. That is not a negotiation

• I see we have another Kremlin bot on here

They keep turning up and the only question is how long they remain
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 815
    I see we are toying with the troll today…

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

Acceding to nuclear blackmail would also be a gamble.

Farooq said:

Lab 51.4% (-1.6)
    Con 24.3% (+2.9)
    LD 8.9% (-0.7)
    Ref 5.2% (+1.2)
    SNP 4.4% (+0.4)
    Grn 4.3% (+0.2)

You clearly dont know the british people like i do...many are fuming inside
    Farooq, like the rest of us, probably don’t know them as you do, we are Brits and live with them.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

It would be nice if you showed some empathy with the Ukrainian people. After all, you were yourself calling for it.

But apparently you don't care if they're raped, tortured, murdered, driven from their homes, unable to sell their grain and can't grow food for themselves, as long as the Russians are doing it.

That's - interesting.

I think my one plus point is you haven't talked about BA yet, but otherwise, you're a real disappointment. We had much classier Russian bots on here recently. Dynamo could even hold an intelligent conversation for 30 seconds, although he had a Father Jack like tendency to revert to type after that.
    West appears disunited now
    People abroad have been hearing awful things from that rapper Kanye West
    So even the scourge of anti semitism is rising in the west now

I see we have another Kremlin bot on here

@Malmesbury suggested we keep one as a pet.

But this one isn't a particularly interesting one. I don't think we need to keep it too long.

It's quite amusing tying it in knots with questions it can't answer and therefore elects to ignore. I've still had no answer to why Ukraine should abandon its claim to Crimea. Possibly because there isn't one, of course.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

It is strange how every single one has exactly the same opinion on UK domestic politics too.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 815
    edited October 2022

You beat me to it!

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

That's - interesting.

West appears disunited now
    People abroad have been hearing awful things from that rapper Kanye West
    So even the scourge of anti semitism is rising in the west now
    Ok, that's another one ticked off, he's ranting about antisemitism. Very soon, there will be talk of Holocaust survivors, who oddly can't be named or linked to, complaining at Russia's actions being called a genocide.

I don't know why we're suddenly disunited after 40 minutes. Heck, even @Dura_Ace and I have agreed a negotiating position for Ukraine now. Given he's been a consistent pessimist about their chances, I'd say we're becoming more united.
  • I fully expect rcs will ban me later. He doesnt seem a fan of free speech sadly...maybe working for goldman sachs changed him
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Away from that. The polling figures remain extraordinary. I know it takes a couple of weeks, but the sheer scale of the lack of bounce so far has astonished me.
    If we hadn't had the nineties they'd be unprecedented.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed.

What makes you think we can control Ukraine now either?

Has it occurred to you that in the awful state of the Russian army the Ukrainians may no longer need Western arms to oust the occupying forces?
    That is pretty unlikely.
    Apart from anything else, they would run out of ammunition within weeks.

As an aside, here's an interesting analysis of the performance of western kit.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/10/how-is-russia-faring-against-nato.html?m=1
    ...After a steady supply of nearly every type of armament from Western countries imaginable, and with plenty of combat experience to properly deploy these new weapons systems on the battlefield, the Ukrainian Army is arguably at its strongest point since the 24th of February. [1] In contrast, the Russian Army has lost its morale and image of strength in Ukraine. In an effort to assure its domestic audience of its capabilities, the Russian MoD has had to resort to gross exaggerations and outright lies to brush up its combat performance in Ukraine. Examples are the reported destruction and capture of 20 HIMARS out of 16 HIMARS delivered (at the time of the claim) to Ukraine, and the shootdown of 1000 Bayraktar TB2s out of some 50 TB2s delivered to Ukraine (with Baykar Tech only ever having produced 450 TB2s). [2]

With Russia meanwhile outgunned and outranged on most fronts, the biggest threat to the operations of Ukrainian HIMARS, M270 and Western-donated tube artillery does not appear to be the destruction by Russian counter-battery fire or loitering munitions, but rather a lack of ammunition and barrel wear as a result of continued operations. Only a dozen out of the approximately 160 155mm M777 towed howitzers delivered to Ukraine are visually confirmed to have been destroyed. [3] And despite claiming the destruction of 20 HIMARS launchers, Russia has brought forward no evidence that supports the destruction of even a single HIMARS. The only units that have in fact been suffering losses at the hands of Russian military forces are Ukraine's mechanised units, which have been the recipient mainly of ex-Soviet equipment and are currently leading the charge in Kherson....

This discussion has been closed.