Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tories really are up a certain creek without a paddle or canoe – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    AlistairM said:

Why hasn't Boris declared yet? What is he waiting for?
    His numbers are uncertain. Doesn't want to declare unless he knows for certain he has 100.

Why hasn't Sunak declared yet? What is he waiting for?
    He knows he has 100+. If Boris gets 100+ too he knows he loses to Boris in a members vote. Knows Boris will be a disaster for country and party. If Boris gets the numbers the best play would be to back Penny who stands greater chance of beating him with members.

What happens next is going to very much depend on if Boris gets 100. If he doesn't then likely Sunak is PM (unless Boris tells his supporters to go for Mordaunt which would make it interesting). If he does get the numbers then there is a reasonable chance of PM being PM.

It doesn't make sense.

How could Sunak wait and see whether Boris will get 100 by the time nominations close, and then if he does persuade his supporters to nominate Mordaunt instead, also before nominations close?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    dixiedean said:

EPG said:

Yokes said:

I get the distinct impression Sunak isnt up for slugging it out for the job. He is quiet because he wants a coronation and he wants the party to thank him for being 'right', whatever that means to him.

Just the sort of fearless politician we need in the coming months of economic peril.

To repurpose a PB cliché, I suspect Sunak is going to surprise on the downside.
    The problem is that Sunak was the problem in the first place. Unfunded tens of billions of pounds of stimulus got him to the position of public popularity, a lesson reinforced by the few months when he didn't spend tens of billions of pounds and people realised he had a tax-avoiding billionaire wife. P.S. Starmer is as bad. God help Britain.
    Starmer has a tax avoiding billionaire wife?
    People would find something else wrong with him if he were to turn off the methadone, his record as DPP or such.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

His numbers are uncertain. Doesn't want to declare unless he knows for certain he has 100.

He knows he has 100+. If Boris gets 100+ too he knows he loses to Boris in a members vote. Knows Boris will be a disaster for country and party. If Boris gets the numbers the best play would be to back Penny who stands greater chance of beating him with members.

What happens next is going to very much depend on if Boris gets 100. If he doesn't then likely Sunak is PM (unless Boris tells his supporters to go for Mordaunt which would make it interesting). If he does get the numbers then there is a reasonable chance of PM being PM.

If Sunak feels he can clear the field with the rules as they are - and that certainly looks possible - it makes sense to wait until the field has been cleared, then step out and play the unifier, called upon by colleagues to save the Party and the Country etc.

If he declares early, he is pressured into getting his hands dirty with questions about about why he thinks Johnson is beyond the pale, and Mordaunt isn't up to it. If those two reaslise they lack the numbers and withdraw, such questions can be dismissed as moot.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,932
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Good thread on why Boris might yet win. Basically: the Tories are almost certainly fucked, they need a miracle. Boris is the kind of guy who will probably implode but might just provide a miracle. Sunak won’t do either of these things

“If I was a Conservative MP (which, thank the Lord I'm not, Sir) I would be tempted to vote for Boris Johnson.

I wouldn't do it because I thought he had "changed", or because I thought he was a great electoral asset - because I'm not mad…”

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1583811111593611264?s=46&t=rNw_mLeyC2GOdxfHP8RVGQ

This is just your Liz Truss thinking reheated.
    It’s not my thinking at all. It’s someone trying to get inside the thoughts of sane Tory MPs, and trying to deduce why they might go for Boris, despite all the past evidence and the inevitable issues ahead

Makes sense to me

Personally, I reckon Sunak has got this. The country yearns for an end to the panto and I suspect Tory members do too. So even if boris made the run off he’d lose
    I suspect thats the feedback Boris is getting. 'Sit this one out, biggus'
    Yes. Boris is risky at a time of worldwide maximum risk. He’s funny and cheering ...
    So was the space hopper, which I compared him to yesterday, briefly.
    A passing fad.

And he’s about as much utility.

Boris is less useful. The space hopper is at least guaranteed a bounce before it blows up.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Two things:

1. FYI, just looking through Guido's list, the one category of MPs who don't seem to have come out much yet - bar
    a few exceptions - are the Red Wall MPs. I'm of the view Rishi gives them less of a chance to save their seats than BJ but let's see.

2. Again, looking through the list, there are around 100+ MPs still to come out and voice support, still enough to get at least BJ across the line.

3. Related to that, there does seem a coordinated campaign to have a Rishi coronation (and this site is definitely playing its part). If Rishi was the nailed on person he is supposed to be, yoh probably would have more momentum. It seems like Rishi is getting his advice from Gavin Williamson as to how to play this.

I struggle with the idea that Boris is key to the Red Wall given how badly he was polling in it before his defenestration.
    Agreed. Most of the Red Wall MPs have small majorities and owe their seats to the peculiar circumstances of 2019 (Get Brexit "done" + Corbyn)

It is possible that Johnson could help them but any MPs who believe he will actually enable them to hold on to their seats are deluding themselves.

As you say, look at the Red Wall polling at the time Johnson was booted out. Most of those seats have gone already as far as 2024 is concerned and I doubt there is much the Tories can do about it, especially in the current economic climate.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,492
    edited October 2022

JohnO said:

MikeL said:

Graham Stuart (who attends Cabinet) just gone for Rishi.

Rishi now has three declared who attend Cabinet - Philp, Tugendhat and Stuart - but no full Cabinet members.

Thoughts and prayers for Sir Robert Buckland who ratted on Rishi mid campaign. But for Wales?

Was of course fired by Johnson. So will he re-rat this time? A sure cert for the backbenches.
    The diminutive Alun Cairns' did the same. So no Welsh Secretary cigar for him either.
    These are not easy days for those who want to know which way the wind blows so that they can nip off in that direction. (Buckland etc).

And not easy days for those who wish to be change-makers, weather-makers etc (Truss. Boris.)

And it's all so fast. This week's Economist has no idea that Truss isn't PM any more. But by now it's Truss Who? and I suspect by tomorrow it may be Boris Who? so far as the 'Next PM Novice Stakes' is concerned.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Good thread on why Boris might yet win. Basically: the Tories are almost certainly fucked, they need a miracle. Boris is the kind of guy who will probably implode but might just provide a miracle. Sunak won’t do either of these things

“If I was a Conservative MP (which, thank the Lord I'm not, Sir) I would be tempted to vote for Boris Johnson.

I wouldn't do it because I thought he had "changed", or because I thought he was a great electoral asset - because I'm not mad…”

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1583811111593611264?s=46&t=rNw_mLeyC2GOdxfHP8RVGQ

It’s not my thinking at all. It’s someone trying to get inside the thoughts of sane Tory MPs, and trying to deduce why they might go for Boris, despite all the past evidence and the inevitable issues ahead

Makes sense to me

Personally, I reckon Sunak has got this. The country yearns for an end to the panto and I suspect Tory members do too. So even if boris made the run off he’d lose
    Yes. Boris is risky at a time of worldwide maximum risk. He’s funny and cheering but we no longer desire to be amused, or cheered, we want to avoid world war and make it through winter and not lose our homes due to soaring mortgage rates
    If he's funny and cheering how come I always feel irritated and a bit down in the dumps after I've seen him on tv?

It's not as if I'm usually that way. I like a laugh and a joke as much as the next man.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063
    OllyT said:

Two things:

1. FYI, just looking through Guido's list, the one category of MPs who don't seem to have come out much yet - bar
    a few exceptions - are the Red Wall MPs. I'm of the view Rishi gives them less of a chance to save their seats than BJ but let's see.

2. Again, looking through the list, there are around 100+ MPs still to come out and voice support, still enough to get at least BJ across the line.

3. Related to that, there does seem a coordinated campaign to have a Rishi coronation (and this site is definitely playing its part). If Rishi was the nailed on person he is supposed to be, yoh probably would have more momentum. It seems like Rishi is getting his advice from Gavin Williamson as to how to play this.

I struggle with the idea that Boris is key to the Red Wall given how badly he was polling in it before his defenestration.
    Agreed. Most of the Red Wall MPs have small majorities and owe their seats to the peculiar circumstances of 2019 (Get Brexit "done" + Corbyn)

It is possible that Johnson could help them but any MPs who believe he will actually enable them to hold on to their seats are deluding themselves.

As you say, look at the Red Wall polling at the time Johnson was booted out. Most of those seats have gone already as far as 2024 is concerned and I doubt there is much the Tories can do about it, especially in the current economic climate.
    This is why Mordaunt is the best choice. She is patriotic, has military credentials, represents a blue collar seat. She is the best option for the red wall.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

Rob Ford 💙💛
    @robfordmancs
    ·
    19m
    If Johnson returns he won’t be able to govern

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs

No change there then.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

Yes. Boris is risky at a time of worldwide maximum risk. He’s funny and cheering but we no longer desire to be amused, or cheered, we want to avoid world war and make it through winter and not lose our homes due to soaring mortgage rates
    If he's funny and cheering how come I always feel irritated and a bit down in the dumps after I've seen him on tv?

It's not as if I'm usually that way. I like a laugh and a joke as much as the next man.
    I have the same feeling after my mates tell me I have to absolutely see a clip of Stewart Lee....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Is BoJo trying to craft a "could have if I'd really wanted to" plotline?

I certainly think he wants to try to create a face-saving narrative if he fails.
  • Options
    boulay said:

People used to mock Corbyn, and Foot for that matter for being scruffy scarecrows and some of those same people would be happy with this disgrace.

The fucking childish thumbs up. The thought of hearing him waffle and say “world beating” again would be too much.

Is that Boris trying to do a serious look? Or he just getting the bad news on the phone that he hasn't got 100 nominations?
  • Options
    I think Sunak's plan A is to announce he's running and has won and is deeply honoured to serve all at once.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    OllyT said:

kinabalu said:

Is BoJo trying to craft a "could have if I'd really wanted to" plotline?

I certainly think he wants to try to create a face-saving narrative if he fails.
    Maybe he got the call he'd been waiting for from HIGNFY.
  • Options

boulay said:

People used to mock Corbyn, and Foot for that matter for being scruffy scarecrows and some of those same people would be happy with this disgrace.

The fucking childish thumbs up. The thought of hearing him waffle and say “world beating” again would be too much.

Is that Boris trying to do a serious look? Or he just getting the bad news on the phone that he hasn't got 100 nominations?
    He looks like the Living Dead. The other photo in that tweet is even worse. He actually looks like a corpse in that one.
  • Options
    Why Britain’s debt-fuelled new car addiction is coming to an end

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/why-britains-debt-fuelled-new-car-addiction-coming-end/

I always thought this was another disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Chris said:

boulay said:

He looks like the Living Dead. The other photo in that tweet is even worse. He actually looks like a corpse in that one.
    And that's after a week relaxing in the sunshine doing bugger all....not being on call round the clock being asked to make crucial decisions of national importance.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

I have the same feeling after my mates tell me I have to absolutely see a clip of Stewart Lee....
    Oh come on. Lee is a comedy modern great. In fact I've earmarked "Snowflake" to watch tomorrow night and I'll need a plastic sheet on the sofa just in case.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    WillG said:

OllyT said:

Two things:

This is why Mordaunt is the best choice. She is patriotic, has military credentials, represents a blue collar seat. She is the best option for the red wall.
    My arse, just because she plays with boats in the bathtub, just another fake.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

Oh come on. Lee is a comedy modern great. In fact I've earmarked "Snowflake" to watch tomorrow night and I'll need a plastic sheet on the sofa just in case.
    That is what I am constantly told, but he really doesn't do it for me...I find it intensely irritating. Especially the gags that take 10 mins to get to the punchline.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,436
    Which candidate would Leon like to win the leadership contest?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    edited October 2022

AlistairM said:

If Sunak feels he can clear the field with the rules as they are - and that certainly looks possible - it makes sense to wait until the field has been cleared, then step out and play the unifier, called upon by colleagues to save the Party and the Country etc.

If he declares early, he is pressured into getting his hands dirty with questions about about why he thinks Johnson is beyond the pale, and Mordaunt isn't up to it. If those two reaslise they lack the numbers and withdraw, such questions can be dismissed as moot.
    Early???? We've got a matter of days here!

Why is Johnson beyond the pale? Well the easy answer to that, or let's say his suitability to high office, has already been given by Rishi's resignation earlier in the year. If he doesn't think he can articulate this without sending the party into convulsions of rage they really are screwed. And he can always say he has more more experience particularly on the economy than Mordaunt does. Nothing very brutal about that.
  • Options
    The War With Ukraine is Coming Home to Russians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqx_-OHE1Hk
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/why-britains-debt-fuelled-new-car-addiction-coming-end/

Give it a year and there will be a glut of nice cars going for buttons....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

Yes. Boris is risky at a time of worldwide maximum risk. He’s funny and cheering ...
    So was the space hopper, which I compared him to yesterday, briefly.
    A passing fad.

And he’s about as much utility.

Boris is less useful. The space hopper is at least guaranteed a bounce before it blows up.
    I did qualify that, by saying one filled with custard.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    malcolmg said:

WillG said:

OllyT said:

Two things:

The "military credentials" are laughable. 27 days of reserve service, never deployed, never been to sea. Yet somehow promoted to OF-5 which normally takes 20+ years of active duty.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

If you are interested in a decent new car, leasing always seems like a much better option. Just get a new lease every couple of years, never really pay any servicing and just hand it back get a new one.

Why would I want to pay a balloon payment 2-3 years down the line for a car I have thrashed around and only get worse....when I can get a new shiny one (and pay less per month for leasing). Its not like in general a car is an investment that will increase in value.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    If Boris says he has 100 thats good enough for me

I mean the man has an unblemished record for honesty!
  • Options
    Kaboom.

• Options
    WillG said:

OllyT said:

Two things:

I thought the Mail told us she was far too "woke" - haven't we been told that Red Wall voters are apoplectic about such things?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,724
    Kemi Badenoch supports Sunak .

That’s surely a big blow to the clown .

• Options
    You know, I think Rishi has got this.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    nico679 said:

Kemi Badenoch supports Sunak .

That’s surely a big blow to the clown .

No surprise to me. She promised an end to Cake-ism. Why anyone would expect her to be a Boris fangirl is a mystery to me.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040
    Dura_Ace said:

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

OllyT said:

Two things:

The "military credentials" are laughable. 27 days of reserve service, never deployed, never been to sea. Yet somehow promoted to OF-5 which normally takes 20+ years of active duty.
    Does looking foxy in a swimsuit (to older Commissioned Officers) and saying c**k rather a lot help with promotion?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,302

Kaboom.

Least appropriate use of 'Kaboom' ever?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    OllyT said:

I thought the Mail told us she was far too "woke" - haven't we been told that Red Wall voters are apoplectic about such things?

There was a massive hatchet piece on Penny Dreadful in the Mail this morning. Woke. Liar. Lazy. Incompetent. Bigged up non-existant "military credentials".
  • Options
    Nothing yet from Braverman or Francois.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited October 2022

AlistairM said:

Early???? We've got a matter of days here!

Why is Johnson beyond the pale? Well the easy answer to that, or let's say his suitability to high office, has already been given by Rishi's resignation earlier in the year. If he doesn't think he can articulate this without sending the party into convulsions of rage they really are screwed. And he can always say he has more more experience particularly on the economy than Mordaunt does. Nothing very brutal about that.
    He just doesn't want to get into any of that at this stage.

I know it's obvious why Johnson is unsuitable, but he has several dozen MPs backing him and Sunak is going to be asking them to unite around him if he emerges as the only person who hits the threshold. And anything he says about Mordaunt's experience will be characterised, in the current febrile atmosphere of the Parliamentary Party, as patronising mansplaining.

Why pick at those scabs unnecessarily if Sunak doesn't have to (which he may not as things are looking at the moment)? Just wait until he's won and he can say, "I'm humbled to be called upon by colleagues to do my duty as PM. Boris is a force of nature and powerful advocate for our Party. Penny will be the first name on the team-sheet for my cabinet. United, we can and will win for Britain" or similar nonsense.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,436

They'll both go for Boris.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That would be my expectation too.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

You know, I think Rishi has got this.

My humongous lay of him is looking distinctly peaky.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

If you are interested in a decent new car, leasing always seems like a much better option. Just get a new lease every couple of years, never really pay any servicing and just hand it back get a new one.

Why would I want to pay a balloon payment 2-3 years down the line for a car I have thrashed around and only get worse....when I can get a new shiny one (and pay less per month for leasing). Its not like in general a car is an investment that will increase in value.
    I was thinking of those cars that get handed back..... Balloon payments will make no sense if the second-hand market craters.
  • Options
    I'm backing Rishi Sunak to be the next Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1583858354035691521
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Badenoch comes out to endorse Sunak. First full current cabinet member to back him and a huge win for him given that Badenoch a key figure on the right of the party

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1583867349328748544

Better for Sunak to tell her to run and pull 20 odd names off Johnson?????
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,213
    edited October 2022
    It remains my view that Johnson isn’t going to run.

His behaviour is peculiar, but no doubt motivated by a desire to make Sunak’s life as uncomfortable as he can for as long as he can, and perhaps to extract concessions.

There are three possibilities as to where we are now:

- he has (or is confident he will get) 100 nominations and intends to run
    - ditto, but he doesn’t intend to run
    - he doesn’t have the 100 nominations

I am struggling to see that his current behaviour is compatible with the first? The most you could say is that perhaps he is still deciding between the first and the second. But my money’s on the second or third.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    "Politics is a blood sport," said Truss as she told staff she was standing down. "And I'm the fox..." The gory inside story of a tumultuous week in British politics which brought down the UK's 56th prime minister...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/is-the-tide-going-out-on-boris-johnsons-comeback-x5xb6vj8b
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,302

I'm backing Rishi Sunak to be the next Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1583858354035691521

Key Penny backer last time. I think Penny's a gonner again (not that this is stunningly insightful).
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Scott_xP said:
    Is that for Rishi to tell Boris where to go?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,858
    Scott_xP said:

"Politics is a blood sport," said Truss as she told staff she was standing down. "And I'm the fox..." The gory inside story of a tumultuous week in British politics which brought down the UK's 56th prime minister...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/is-the-tide-going-out-on-boris-johnsons-comeback-x5xb6vj8b

She’s even more deluded than I thought if she thinks she’s a fox.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Badenoch comes out to endorse Sunak. First full current cabinet member to back him and a huge win for him given that Badenoch a key figure on the right of the party

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1583867349328748544

Better for Sunak to tell her to run and pull 20 odd names off Johnson?????
    It’s conceivable she’s already spoken to those who supported her last time and she might take many with her to back Sunak.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

His behaviour is peculiar, but no doubt motivated by a desire to make Sunak’s life as uncomfortable as he can for as long as he can, and perhaps to extract concessions.

I am struggling to see that his current behaviour is compatible with the first? The most you could say is that perhaps he is still deciding between the first and the second. But my money’s on the second or third.

Boris Johnson claims

-No rules were broken
    -It was a work event
    -£350m a week for NHS
    -Brexit will bring prosperity
    -40 new hospitals
    -What Russian money?
    -I did not lie to Commons

-I’ve got 100 backers

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1583863346755162112
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:
    The article says "During conversations between aides and intermediaries, a path was mapped out for Sunak to create a ladder, down which Johnson could climb."

Why not tell the oaf a new Ministry of Clowns will be formed for him to run? Cabinet position, but 52 weeks of holiday a year. The pick of the outgoing cabinet to serve as junior ministers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,333
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1583859032850239488
    Conservative MP on speculation that Boris Johnson has reached 100 nominations.

“So Boris has a zombie army of MPs - nameless or headless - who knows.”

… MP continues… “it’s an illusion to create more confusion & chaos and further damage the party. Like an arsonist returning to the building see if anything survived and setting light to that too.”

Erm, the Tory Party is not a happy ship right now.
  • Options
    "So go to http://CryptoCoinzzzz.com for an investment that can't lose! Use code 'BozzaOffer' for a bonus £10 starter investment. Get yourself into the blockchains today - and tell them Boris sent you!"

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1583861207815319552/photo/1

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    I suspect it will be all over on Monday. All moving towards Rishi now.
  • Options
    Signs are that a clear majority of MPs are realising that re-appointing Boris would be mental. The problem is going to be what happens if Boris gets to 100. If it goes to members he will win. There is no way Boris will withdraw if he gets the 100. Hopes are now pinned on there being fewer than 100 idiots amongst the Tory MPs... Recent history would suggest that not being likely but maybe they have learnt their lesson!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

I was thinking of those cars that get handed back..... Balloon payments will make no sense if the second-hand market craters.
    Great at the moment though, mine was due up and I sold it to We Buy Any Car for a great price.
  • Options
    As Kemi Badenoch comes out for Sunak, which is a big symbolic endorsement, I hear the 2 men, Johnson and Sunak were due to meet a couple of hours ago, face to face - meeting was pushed back for reasons unclear, but could still go ahead later

Both sides claim the other delayed the talks

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1583868657049796608
  • Options
    Chris said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:
    The article says "During conversations between aides and intermediaries, a path was mapped out for Sunak to create a ladder, down which Johnson could climb."

Why not tell the oaf a new Ministry of Clowns will be formed for him to run? Cabinet position, but 52 weeks of holiday a year. The pick of the outgoing cabinet to serve as junior ministers.
    Obesity Czar.

• Options
    AlistairM said:

Signs are that a clear majority of MPs are realising that re-appointing Boris would be mental. The problem is going to be what happens if Boris gets to 100. If it goes to members he will win. There is no way Boris will withdraw if he gets the 100. Hopes are now pinned on there being fewer than 100 idiots amongst the Tory MPs... Recent history would suggest that not being likely but maybe they have learnt their lesson!

Further to Casino Royales post . I really don’t think that Johnson is guaranteed to win with the membership now .
  • Options
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought fox hunting was banned?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,718
    Difficult to know if this is spoof or real. I’m going with “real”

“This flag combines 40 different flags from LGBTQIA+ communities around the world, including: Abrosexual, Aceflux, Agender, Ambiamorous, Androgynous, Aroace, Aroflux, Aromantic, Asexual, Bigender, Bisexual, Demifluid, Demigender, Demigirl, Demiromantic, Demisexual, Gay/MLM/Vinician, Genderfluid, Genderflux, Genderqueer, Gender questioning, Graysexual, Intersex, Lesbian, Maverique, Neutrois, Nonbinary, Omnisexual, Pangender, Pansexual, Polyamorous, Polysexual, Transgender, Trigender, Two Spirit, Progress Pride, Queer, Unlabeled.”

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Andy_JS said:

If Francois goes for Boris I doubt he gets to 100. I mean he had to get on bended knee to get Lee Anderson.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

BREAKING:

Germany will significantly cut down the expansion of the army due to “high inflation and the expensive dollar”

Several projects will be cancelled or downsized, including:

Puma IFVs
    Self-propelled howitzers
    Corvettes
    Frigates
    Eurofighters
    potentially F-35s (downsized)

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1583778006803234816

Sigh…
    Well, if the Russians can't get to the Dniepr they certainly can't get to the Elbe so what's the justification for increased German defence spending over more socially useful government activity?
    Germany, of all countries, is starting with three working typhoons and six operational tanks. As a major economy and significant world power, they ought to pull their weight when needed and I had hoped Ukraine had given them a reason to wake up (as it hopefully might for us as bits of our capability are pretty thin).
    What's this "when needed" shit? The purpose of the GAF is to defend the territorial integrity of Germany and meet its NATO commitments which it does. It doesn't exist to attempt to settle intractable slavic border disputes 2,000km to the east.
    On that, we disagree. Which is fine.
  • Options

FWIW, both my parents, who are solidly right-wing Daily Mail readers who were massively for Truss before, have just both come out for Sunak.

I slagged them off earlier too, calling them dinosaurs. I have already apologised to my Dad, and am now having a beer with him.

and then another beer with Heathener later, and your day is done? ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

Well she's daft as a brush.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Scott_xP said:

As Kemi Badenoch comes out for Sunak, which is a big symbolic endorsement, I hear the 2 men, Johnson and Sunak were due to meet a couple of hours ago, face to face - meeting was pushed back for reasons unclear, but could still go ahead later

I think Sunak is approaching free money now
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

OllyT said:

Two things:

Is this kind of thing new under Tory regime, or standard operating procedure regardless of govt?

Does sound like bit of throwback to the days when commissions were purchased, and advancement via clout rather than merit was often the rule rather than exception?

And, out of curiosity, among current MPs, in your opinion, whose military service credentials are most legit & impressive?

Note that IF Dr. Oz is elected to US Senate from PA - though personally think he's gonna lose to Fetterman - he will add to the total number of members of Congress with active military experience.

But NOT total number with active experience in AMERICAN military - because Oz served in Turkish Army.

Of course Turkey IS a NATO member, so on the same side.

Many years ago, in a western PA mill town with large number of Ukrainian, Serbian, Croatian, Polish, etc., etc. immigrants, a member of the local post of Veterans of Foreign Wars nominated his younger brother to join the group. However, when bro's credentials were examined, turned out he was indeed a veteran: of the Austro-Hungarian Army.

"Well, he served in a foreign war, didn't he?" argued his big brother, himself a WWI US Army vet.

"Yeah," replied the membership committee, " but he was the enemy!"

After discussion, a compromise was worked out: little brother could NOT be a full VFW member. But he COULD join the Auxiliary (set up for wife's of members) and thus be entitled to bar privleges.

Which was why little bro, big bro and just about everyone else wanted to be in the VFW in the first place!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

“This flag combines 40 different flags from LGBTQIA+ communities around the world, including: Abrosexual, Aceflux, Agender, Ambiamorous, Androgynous, Aroace, Aroflux, Aromantic, Asexual, Bigender, Bisexual, Demifluid, Demigender, Demigirl, Demiromantic, Demisexual, Gay/MLM/Vinician, Genderfluid, Genderflux, Genderqueer, Gender questioning, Graysexual, Intersex, Lesbian, Maverique, Neutrois, Nonbinary, Omnisexual, Pangender, Pansexual, Polyamorous, Polysexual, Transgender, Trigender, Two Spirit, Progress Pride, Queer, Unlabeled.”

Wasn't that a Big Brother TV logo one year?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

His piece about Paul Nuttall of the UKIPs and immigration is an absolute classic.
  • Options
    I’m guessing that, in terms of sexuality, @kinabulu wistfully self-identifies as “Vinician Maverique”
  • Options

Chris said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

Obesity Czar.

Possibly the outgoing Health Secretary has been pencilled in for that.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

Its real...on their official github and medium accounts (as well as twitter).

https://github.com/microsoft/Pride-flag

https://medium.com/microsoft-design/pride-should-be-open-source-e4eb50fae2f9
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What’s there to talk about . Bozo will only accept Sunak doing something truly astonishing and standing aside so the oaf can get back to no 10.

Bozo is struggling to get the 100 otherwise they wouldn’t be putting out fantasy statements.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,480
    edited October 2022
    Leon said:

I’m guessing that, in terms of sexuality, @kinabulu wistfully self-identifies as “Vinician Maverique”

Are you in AZ? Enjoying Kari Lake TV ads? And keeping your rental out of the ditches?

Or are you chilling (maybe more ways than one) at your dude's dude ranch?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Boris Johnson claims

-No rules were broken
    -It was a work event
    -£350m a week for NHS
    -Brexit will bring prosperity
    -40 new hospitals
    -What Russian money?
    -I did not lie to Commons

-I’ve got 100 backers

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1583863346755162112
    The real question, if he doesn’t run, is what Johnson would want?

Some non-job allowing him to posture on the world stage re. Ukraine?

Promise of a safe seat somewhere, whose unlucky constituents will never see him?

What else could he want?
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    At least Mordaunt sometimes does stuff that's unconnected with politics, careerism, making money, and going to parties. What I strongly dislike about the woman is that she treats animal welfare as if it were a joke. (That's what's happening in the famous c*ck speech.)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Makes sense to me

I saw him perform it live, he really is very funny but certainly isn't to everyone's taste, my wife doesn't find him funny at all. I doubt there is any comedian that appeals to everyone, humour is rather subjective.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"So go to http://CryptoCoinzzzz.com for an investment that can't lose! Use code 'BozzaOffer' for a bonus £10 starter investment. Get yourself into the blockchains today - and tell them Boris sent you!"

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1583861207815319552/photo/1

For his own sake, let alone the country, he should give up

He looked fine and happy in the Antiguan sun. He looks 97 and seriously unwell there

Enough. Back Down, Boris
  • Options
    Have to say the Penny video is bloody brilliant. And cleverly attacks Sunak indirectly.

If she was running for POTUS or the Senate that would be a superb TV spot.

Although she says she likes a pie and a pint and then shows herself drinking a half.

• Options
    OllyT said:

Two things:

The Red Wall now needs to be a long term project for them as the demographics change and Labour has issues in power.
  • Options
    Johnson out to 4.5

• Options
    Leon said:

Once everyone is a minority, no one is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    Chris said:

boulay said:

Night flight with kids in cattle class...
  • Options

Leon said:

Are you in AZ? Enjoying Kari Lake TV ads? And keeping your rental out of the ditches?

Or are you chilling (maybe more ways than one) at your dude's dude ranch?

The latter, soon. Just now heading out of Tucson. Expect a photo
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099

Scott_xP said:

Well, that may be a useful trait given the financial shit we're in.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

The country is addicted to buying things on tick. Student Loans next up for the "What do we do with this mountain of debt" crisis?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

The country is addicted to buying things on tick. Student Loans next up for the "What do we do with this mountain of debt" crisis?
    Student loans aren't a personal debt problem, as they aren't really a loan in the traditional sense and if you lose your job / don't earn much, you don't pay.

As has been said numerous times by the likes of Mr Money Saving Expert, they are really a capped graduate tax and ultimately the state will have to pick up the unpaid debt (also I imagine inflation isn't a bad thing on this front as it is inflating away the real value of this debt).

So it will be a problem for all of us eventually, but it isn't on a personal level in the way having a car on tick is.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Leon said:

It's a load of absolute bullcrap. The alphabet soup acronym is meaningless (and so, I suspect, are most of these individual terms: either complete waffle or numerous different ways of describing precisely the same thing.)

For the avoidance of doubt, I am gay. A homosexual male. Why I've suddenly been described by some clueless dolt at a software house as "Gay/MLM/Vinician" Christ only knows. What is a Vinician anyway? It sounds like one of the non-recurring baddies from 1970s Doctor Who.

I mean, just, enough already.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Our Casino’s going to have to get a wriggle on if he wants to have one of each…
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Once everyone is a minority, no one is.
    Everyone is a minority of one, hence an individual.

We are at the horseshoe point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, that may be a useful trait given the financial shit we're in.
    That’s the answer! The Tories have created a fake context. Boris and PM will pull out for a Rishi win and we’ll discover they put £500Bn on him to be PM.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099

If I know the Student Loan Company - and I have the misfortune to know their former head of repayments quite well - the answer will be: 'What mountain of debt? The debts we were collecting? You mean, we were supposed to keep records?'

He wasn't known as Kevin O'Cockup for no reason,
  • Options
    This is significant

Co-author of last Tory manifesto says new PM (whoever clinches the mantle) should call a general election within 6 months

https://twitter.com/racheljanetwolf/status/1583871198987194368
  • Options
    Leon said:

Schools get kids to paint rainbow flags. Good luck painting that!
This discussion has been closed.