Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As they say the “optics” don’t look good – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ping said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Braverman is on manoeuvres, right?

I wonder how the 1922 committee intend to stop her from running for the leadership...
    The nominations threshold to stand for leader will be 120.
    Currently that’s the informal threshold set by Brady that will trigger the committee reviewing the rules. You’re right that this may also become the nomination threshold, I guess.
    If there are 120 Tory MPs prepared to inflict another membership vote on the Party, then it is best the MPs are wiped away and replaced in a decade or more.

That said, despite all that has passed so far, I still don't see a General Election resulting from the current chaos. Peer over the edge, pause, step back to "regroup" under a safer pair of hands.
    I'd say it's 50/50 at this point.
    Your case is a rational one, but they are no longer an entirely rational party.
    Brexit has wrought divisions which aren't easily appreciated by those of us who are fundamentally pragmatists. I'm not arguing about the issue itself, as that's irrelevant for what's going on now. It's a matter of factional identity, and for large numbers of MPs that has come to supersede any loyalty to the party.

It's a bit like the Corn Laws. Not one person in ten who knows that split the Tory party has any clear idea now what the argument was all about.
    Yeah.

50/50 on an election before 2024 feels about right. If anything, perhaps undercooking it a bit. Somewhere between 50% & 66% maybe?

The 76 Majority, or whatever it is now, is illusory. That was a now-irrelevant, get-brexit-done, anti-Corbyn, fantasy economics coalition that Boris was able to pull off with his incredible charisma.

There’s no positive majority among the blues for anything, right now. The only question left is whether the turkeys will vote for Christmas.

As soon as Suella published her resignation letter, I laid the “2024 or later election” at 1.39 (72%). Currently trading at 1.62/1.74, although pathetic liquidity.

Should be evens, minimum, imo.
    It's not so much vote for Christmas as not vote against Christmas. Short of Truss resigning the government to the King, we're into VONC territory.

So the question is how Tory MPs busy fighting each other respond to such a thing. The debate would be fascinating as "at least we're better than Labour" is all they have.

I assume the first time out they vote confidence in the government, cheer, and then immediately resume their efforts to bring down the government. It's the subsequent VONC's that follow that may see them collapse.

Truss didn't vote for her own government confidence motion last night. So anything is possible
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

GRaun feed:

'The business secretary, Jacob Rees-Mogg, has denied Tory MPs were bullied and manhandled at last night’s fracking vote.

Rees-Mogg said “to characterise it as bullying is mistaken” and that a “perfectly normal discussion” had taken place with some MPs “who weren’t sure whether it was a confidence vote or not”, the Times reports.

The only physical contact was “a female affectionately patting somebody on the back”, he said.

He added that it would be “quite improper to manhandle people in the division lobby”.'

So it did happen, then?
    To be fair, Rees-Mogg thinks a “perfectly normal discussion” is to ask his wet-nurse for “the other one”.
  • Options
    OT
    Schools shouldn’t turn history lessons into ‘comforting stories’, says Cambridge professor
    Prof Robert Tombs made the comments during a meeting of a working group appointed to develop a model history curriculum by 2024

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/19/schools-shouldnt-turn-history-lessons-comforting-stories-says/ (£££)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543

Alistair said:

Classic "Facts don't care about your feelings moment" in American politics

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1582894307169951744

Complete alternative reality moment by the GOP candidate.

This started with GHW Bush, or a little before. Thanks primarily to Fox News, each side in America has its own facts. Not opinions, facts. This is now exacerbated by the web, where those woke internet giants, Twitter and Youtube, amplify right wing material.
    Who was it on here a few days ago who said that their friends wouldn't pick a US holiday in a blue state because of crime levels?

It sounded like BS to me anyway, most of my friends wouldn't be able reliably say whether a given state is red or blue and don't choose to go to the US to avoid crime.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

I wonder how the 1922 committee intend to stop her from running for the leadership...
    She could get there if it somehow goes to the membership. 28 is a good price.
    Then she would find herself in an infinitely worse position than Truss as PM.
    The key problem is that - after getting Brexit done - the tories don't have a clear idea what they are in power to do. Is it to provide strong and stable leadership? Or to destroy the woke?
    Braverman's ambition and self-belief is W-A-Y more unwarranted than even that of Liz Truss.

The Tories have no-one who can take her to one side and say "Suella...no. Just...no! Look at Liz Truss - and learn." The lack of respected grandees who are listened to is a major (pun intended) problem for management of the party.

The trouble is, Westminster is full of people (within one's own faction, of course) who'll blow smoke up your own arsehole.

You learn to ignore the rest.
    YouGov’s survey of members showed practically zero support for Suella, and that’s among the criminally insane, ie her natural constituency.

One fears that Suella’s ring piece is smoke-damaged beyond repair.
    Braverman has no chance of being PM, she has a chance of being Leader of the Opposition to a Starmer government
    Given the mistakes she's made recently (email, the spat with India, and generally idiotic posturing) and the childish tone of her departure letter I think she's not far off the worst possible choice.
    Since at least 2016 the worst option has always prevailed in British politics.
    In which case, Mark Francois should be curious to see why his turn to be PM has not (yet?) arrived.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

At 1:33am, another twist. A message from Downing St source to say it WAS a confidence vote - with consequences for those MPs who didn’t back the government lifting ban on fracking. https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1582936217632444418/photo/1

Well that's just plain dumb - how can you punish MPs who saw conflicting reports if it was a confidence vote?

Even if it's a ploy as MikeL suggests re a vote of no confidence it would be too damaging.
    and of course the 2019 Conservative manifesto was very clear on opposing fracking..... so although they did not vote with the govt (very much on naughty step) Fracking itself has no mandate.
    I am on the fence about fracking - I have not looked into it deeply, and see conflicting views on here and elsewhere from people whose views I trust.

But given the energy crisis that has enveloped us, I think any 2019 manifesto commitments about energy can be broken. Manifestos are for ordinary times, and with respect to energy, these are not ordinary times.
    Luckily Scotland has banned fracking. England can wreck their country if they wish.
  • Options

What chance of the Tories going serially sub 20%?
    I think we had one 19% last week. Could we see a sub 15%

I hope so.

TSE has a bet on sub 15% and I think he will collect.

Redfield have already shown 19% and they have a slight Tory lean. The latest fiasco has yet to register. People Polling would be favorites to bring TSE's money home but I doubt they will be the only ones going that low. We may even see single figures if Truss hangs around much longer.

By the way, when does PB's favorite Shrinking Violet take over from Mike? Hope it's soon. We need things to quieten down a bit.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Star, lettuce

Mail, shouting match

i, chaos

Mirror, utter chaos

Sun, broken

Express, scuffle

Times, turmoil

Guardian, brink

First prize, Metro, Suelluva mess!

Has anyone spotted Douglas Ross?
  • Options

Alistair said:

This started with GHW Bush, or a little before. Thanks primarily to Fox News, each side in America has its own facts. Not opinions, facts. This is now exacerbated by the web, where those woke internet giants, Twitter and Youtube, amplify right wing material.
    Who was it on here a few days ago who said that their friends wouldn't pick a US holiday in a blue state because of crime levels?

It sounded like BS to me anyway, most of my friends wouldn't be able reliably say whether a given state is red or blue and don't choose to go to the US to avoid crime.
    Allegedly heard in a working class chippy.
    Probably uttered by an Albanian taxi driver.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Some people don't come into London because of knife crime, despite being two or three generations past the demographics where that is an issue. People are not good at understanding risk but very good at understanding fear.
  • Options

OT
    Schools shouldn’t turn history lessons into ‘comforting stories’, says Cambridge professor
    Prof Robert Tombs made the comments during a meeting of a working group appointed to develop a model history curriculum by 2024

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/19/schools-shouldnt-turn-history-lessons-comforting-stories-says/ (£££)

Without reading the paywalled article the quote seems reasonable.

What's the thrust of the article - 'rampant wokism brainwashing our kids'?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

GRaun feed:

'The business secretary, Jacob Rees-Mogg, has denied Tory MPs were bullied and manhandled at last night’s fracking vote.

Rees-Mogg said “to characterise it as bullying is mistaken” and that a “perfectly normal discussion” had taken place with some MPs “who weren’t sure whether it was a confidence vote or not”, the Times reports.

The only physical contact was “a female affectionately patting somebody on the back”, he said.

He added that it would be “quite improper to manhandle people in the division lobby”.'

So it did happen, then?
    To be fair, Rees-Mogg thinks a “perfectly normal discussion” is to ask his wet-nurse for “the other one”.
    Okaaaay...

May I ask if his wife is involved in these conversations?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    One member of 1922 executive tells me “odds are against” Liz Truss surviving the day as PM.

Committee is expected to meet later to discuss the leadership crisis.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1583001855554367488
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,197
    edited October 2022
    Anne-Marie Trevelyan sounds like a female version of @HYUFD.

Panicked, robotic, moronic, speaking without thinking, with no regard for reality like someone just pressed the on button.

Pathetic and laughable if it weren't so serious for the country.
  • Options
    Has Thérèse Coffey gone yet?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

The key problem is that - after getting Brexit done - the tories don't have a clear idea what they are in power to do. Is it to provide strong and stable leadership? Or to destroy the woke?
    Braverman's ambition and self-belief is W-A-Y more unwarranted than even that of Liz Truss.

The Tories have no-one who can take her to one side and say "Suella...no. Just...no! Look at Liz Truss - and learn." The lack of respected grandees who are listened to is a major (pun intended) problem for management of the party.

The trouble is, Westminster is full of people (within one's own faction, of course) who'll blow smoke up your own arsehole.

YouGov’s survey of members showed practically zero support for Suella, and that’s among the criminally insane, ie her natural constituency.

Braverman has no chance of being PM, she has a chance of being Leader of the Opposition to a Starmer government
    Good morning

The conservative party will not even be the opposition, and I doubt anyone knows who will lead the 4 or even 2 remaining conservative mps
    Given Sunak likely replaces Truss before Christmas it will, they will still lose but Sunak will save enough seats to get them to 200 to 250 MPs
    By then the Conservative brand will be trashed beyond repair.

Regroup and red are will be the only option for the right and FPTP makes that a hard slog.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,058

What chance of the Tories going serially sub 20%?
    I think we had one 19% last week. Could we see a sub 15%?

I hope so.

I would be surprised if it didn't happen. On any normal day inflation up to 10.1% would be the biggest story, and that's what people are noticing, yet the government, even under the steadying influence of Hunt, had two major crises yesterday that had nothing to do with inflation.

Frost and Braverman - the right is clearly turning against Truss.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

GRaun feed:

So it did happen, then?
    Okaaaay...

May I ask if his wife is involved in these conversations?
    Certainly not. That would be “entirely improper”. However, she does get to burp him afterwards.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    It should be remembered that Corbyn had something like a two thirds vote of no confidence from his own MPs but managed to carry on for a few years because of the lack of a mechanism to get rid of him
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Good morning

The conservative party will not even be the opposition, and I doubt anyone knows who will lead the 4 or even 2 remaining conservative mps
    Given Sunak likely replaces Truss before Christmas it will, they will still lose but Sunak will save enough seats to get them to 200 to 250 MPs
    By then the Conservative brand will be trashed beyond repair.

Regroup and red are will be the only option for the right and FPTP makes that a hard slog.
    Depends how Labour governs, if it manages the economy reasonably well the Conservatives will be out for over a decade like the New Labour years.

If they manage the economy as badly as 1970s Labour the opposition will quickly revive
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. JohnL, I do worry that there might be a tug of war to either make history into "Gosh, everything was super" versus "Evil Britons atone".

The recent nonsense around a film... the Woman King, I think, shows that some people are far from colourblind when it comes to addressing history.

I was also surprised that a certain poet claims black people were in the UK with the Romans. Entirely possible in very low numbers but the difficulty of ancient travel between the sub-Saharan part of Africa and Europe I find it hard to believe the numbers were more than minimal. Rome's territory included north Africa but that's not the same as including black Africa (sub-Saharan part). Liby-Phoenicians and Numidians were not black.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-63291527
  • Options

maxh said:

maxh said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

At 1:33am, another twist. A message from Downing St source to say it WAS a confidence vote - with consequences for those MPs who didn’t back the government lifting ban on fracking. https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1582936217632444418/photo/1

Well that's just plain dumb - how can you punish MPs who saw conflicting reports if it was a confidence vote?

Even if it's a ploy as MikeL suggests re a vote of no confidence it would be too damaging.
    and of course the 2019 Conservative manifesto was very clear on opposing fracking..... so although they did not vote with the govt (very much on naughty step) Fracking itself has no mandate.
    I am on the fence about fracking - I have not looked into it deeply, and see conflicting views on here and elsewhere from people whose views I trust.

But given the energy crisis that has enveloped us, I think any 2019 manifesto commitments about energy can be broken. Manifestos are for ordinary times, and with respect to energy, these are not ordinary times.
    I agree. The real question about fracking is whether our geology is actually suitable for economic extraction. If it is we should do it, just as we should be squeezing what we can from the North Sea, whatever those idiots on the QEII bridge think. The alternative is that we import the gas or oil from other places we would really rather not
    do business with (and our trade deficit gets even worse).
    As an avowed environmentalist I reluctantly agree with this IFF combined with a coherent medium term plan to get out of gas and oil much faster than currently planned.

The lack of coherence about what follows it tops the scales back against it, currently, imo. We are just postponing a problem (decarbonising energy) which, the earlier we grapple with, the more we will benefit from (eg growth from expertise in alternative sources of energy)
    There's no reason why we cannot both extract as much oil and gas from the North Sea and invest in alternative sources of energy.
    That’s what I’m arguing for. But I fear at the moment we are doing the former in place of doing the latter at the scale we need. We should incentivise investment in alternatives far more than we are. It will pay itself back in droves.
    I've no idea how much we are investing in energy production and development or how much we should be doing.

But there's many billions being invested in energy consumption.

Which is indicative of the underlying problem in this country - we think consumption is far more important than production and that consumption must be protected while production has to look after itself.
    Truss regards energy efficiency as communism, or something. So when you say “we”, presumably you are talking about her and yourself.
    Well given that I live within my means and have improved my own energy usage efficiency this year I can remove myself from the 'we'.

But I rather suspect that there are more people in this country who would rather have £100 off their energy bills this year than energy security in the future.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576

Mr. JohnL, I do worry that there might be a tug of war to either make history into "Gosh, everything was super" versus "Evil Britons atone".

The recent nonsense around a film... the Woman King, I think, shows that some people are far from colourblind when it comes to addressing history.

I was also surprised that a certain poet claims black people were in the UK with the Romans. Entirely possible in very low numbers but the difficulty of ancient travel between the sub-Saharan part of Africa and Europe I find it hard to believe the numbers were more than minimal. Rome's territory included north Africa but that's not the same as including black Africa (sub-Saharan part). Liby-Phoenicians and Numidians were not black.

Sudanese in Egypt?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

OT

Roughly yes.

He does have a point that much history as taught in schools is almost laughably bad, but there are two issues with this working group: (1) the real issue is the appalling mess that is the exam system, which is outside their remit. Unless that is reformed to something vaguely sane, any changes to the content are wasted effort and (2) as academies are free to set their own curriculum and the government's stated aim is to convert all schools to academies, there's very little point to a 'model curriculum' anyway.

I would add that in any case there's very little merit to curriculae imposed from the top, because it's not likely to be responsive to local needs. For example, round here you want to go big on Saxons and the Industrial Revolution because those are the key things that shaped the local area. In Gloucestershire I would want to teach about Romans, the Civil War and the slave trade for much the same reason.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,049

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Given the mistakes she's made recently (email, the spat with India, and generally idiotic posturing) and the childish tone of her departure letter I think she's not far off the worst possible choice.
    In which case, Mark Francois should be curious to see why his turn to be PM has not (yet?) arrived.
    The sad reality is that Mark Francois is actually far from the worst option on the table.
  • Options
    Roger said:

'The optics don't look good....'

That's up there with Hirohito's 'The war's developed not particularly to Japan's advantage.....'

Mike needs to go on holiday right now, so TSE can take over for a while and peace and stability will resume.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Roger said:

It should be remembered that Corbyn had something like a two thirds vote of no confidence from his own MPs but managed to carry on for a few years because of the lack of a mechanism to get rid of him

Well it went to the membership (with Owen Smith, remember him?) and he won. I doubt the same would be the case now with Truss and the Tory membership.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,058
    Roger said:

Different for a leader of the opposition. They don't need to do so much. Truss will have to pass a budget.
  • Options

Which part of the UK has the strongest support for the Conservative Party?

Well, according to Deltapoll, the surprising answer is… wait for it… Wales!

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

(Deltapoll, 13-17 October)

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

This is where it would be particularly helpful to look at a few different polls in aggregate, because random variation in the subsamples will be large, and Wales is by far the lowest population area, so the size of the subsample will be smallest, and so the margin of error on that subsample will be largest - therefore, even if Tory support was even across the different regions, you would expect to see the highest score for the Tories in Wales if you looked at the scores across a few polls and picked the highest.

So you'd really want to check that this pattern was consistent across several polls.
    You are of course completely correct.

But please don’t deny a weary old SNP activist his small pleasures in life. I’m in Schadenfreude heaven.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.
    Previously the last redoubt of pro Johnson, pro Brexit yamyammery.
    The English Midlands are the key to governance in that country. If the Tories really are in the teens in that region then they are truly fucked. This is looking less and less like a Canada scenario and more like the demise of the once mighty Liberal Party. Yes, liberals still exist in English politics, but the movement is a pale shadow of its peak in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
    It is entirely possible that the Tories are heading for Lib Dem status: also-rans.

Taxi!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Luckily Scotland has banned fracking. England can wreck their country if they wish.
    Can't ban the allocation of licences - reserved power. Hence (I assume) the SNP MPs voting last night. But the SNP has de facto banned it under planning and environment powers.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

The sad reality is that Mark Francois is actually far from the worst option on the table.
    Are you Ready for Rosindell?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

OT

Paywall by-pass installed....

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/19/schools-shouldnt-turn-history-lessons-comforting-stories-says/
  • Options
    Has Grant Shapps resigned yet?
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, some, perhaps. But how many of those were citizens (necessary, pre-Caracalla, I think, to join a legion) or willing to join an auxiliary force, and then were also sent to Britain? We did have a relatively high number of legions, but some troop types (camelry being an example) were not exactly well-suited for the climate.

But there can be tendency for some to try and assume that diversity was always a thing and cosmopolitanism was the norm through history (the highly accurate videogame Kingdom Come Deliverance, set in Bohemia, had some numpties complaining everyone was white).

In major cities this was true to a greater extent, but in most places it was far from the case, especially in the ancient world.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Who are your top (or bottom) three?
  • Options

OT

To be fair, one must imagine the trauma of a certain PBer when he went to school and learnt about Charles 1 pushing his luck and his divine right where it didn't belong, and getting a rather severe haircut.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,434
    I can quite honestly see a scenario where Mrs Brady tells Liz the game is up today but she decides to cling on. Meanwhile Suella and the ERG try and knife her (JRM resignation today maybe?) and nobody has a clue what is going on.

I hate to say it but I wonder if Truss is going to take lessons from her idol BoJo and just try and cling on while everything crumbles around her. The signs are pointing in that direction.

She’ll go, probably this week, but not before she gives another thousand cuts to the Tory Party on the way out.
  • Options

I can quite honestly see a scenario where Mrs Brady tells Liz the game is up today but she decides to cling on. Meanwhile Suella and the ERG try and knife her (JRM resignation today maybe?) and nobody has a clue what is going on.

I hate to say it but I wonder if Truss is going to take lessons from her idol BoJo and just try and cling on while everything crumbles around her. The signs are pointing in that direction.

She’ll go, probably this week, but not before she gives another thousand cuts to the Tory Party on the way out.

If Mogg and Braverman resign saying Truss needs to go, that leaves a fascinating dilemma.

Do we endorse their views, on the grounds she shouldn't have appointed them, or decide that since they've been wrong on every issue in their utterly worthless lives, actually Truss might have something about her and should be given a second chance?
  • Options

Alistair said:

I've just come back from a work trip in true blue DC and NYC. Both places seemed pretty safe and pleasant and I am sure more interesting to visit than Oklahoma City but really shocking numbers of mentally ill homeless people on the streets.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

OT

Paywall by-pass installed....

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/19/schools-shouldnt-turn-history-lessons-comforting-stories-says/
    Ah, thank you: nicely two-edged, I see (not sure if intentional).

'Speaking ahead of the first meeting of the group, he warned that history “is about trying to sort out what is true or accurate or as close as we can get to the reality of the past, and not simply selecting a nice story, which is comforting to some people.”

“History is not a form of therapy. It should not be a form of therapy to all sorts of disaffected groups to please some activists,” he told an event on history organised by the think tank Politeia.'
  • Options
    Chief whip into No 10 just now. Still in her job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63309400
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,287
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

He does have a point that much history as taught in schools is almost laughably bad, but there are two issues with this working group: (1) the real issue is the appalling mess that is the exam system, which is outside their remit. Unless that is reformed to something vaguely sane, any changes to the content are wasted effort and (2) as academies are free to set their own curriculum and the government's stated aim is to convert all schools to academies, there's very little point to a 'model curriculum' anyway.

I would add that in any case there's very little merit to curriculae imposed from the top, because it's not likely to be responsive to local needs. For example, round here you want to go big on Saxons and the Industrial Revolution because those are the key things that shaped the local area. In Gloucestershire I would want to teach about Romans, the Civil War and the slave trade for much the same reason.
    Very good, Ydoethur.

It may interest you to learn that there is a pub in nearby Tewkesbury called The Ancient Grudge. I assumed it referred to the Civil War and was mightily amused, but in fact it turns out to be The War of The Roses.

Long memories around here.
  • Options
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, some, perhaps. But how many of those were citizens (necessary, pre-Caracalla, I think, to join a legion) or willing to join an auxiliary force, and then were also sent to Britain? We did have a relatively high number of legions, but some troop types (camelry being an example) were not exactly well-suited for the climate.

But there can be tendency for some to try and assume that diversity was always a thing and cosmopolitanism was the norm through history (the highly accurate videogame Kingdom Come Deliverance, set in Bohemia, had some numpties complaining everyone was white).

In major cities this was true to a greater extent, but in most places it was far from the case, especially in the ancient world.

Fair enough. Didn't they, however, do a skeletal study of someone in Eboracum? But one does not make a multitude.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

This is where it would be particularly helpful to look at a few different polls in aggregate, because random variation in the subsamples will be large, and Wales is by far the lowest population area, so the size of the subsample will be smallest, and so the margin of error on that subsample will be largest - therefore, even if Tory support was even across the different regions, you would expect to see the highest score for the Tories in Wales if you looked at the scores across a few polls and picked the highest.

So you'd really want to check that this pattern was consistent across several polls.

But please don’t deny a weary old SNP activist his small pleasures in life. I’m in Schadenfreude heaven.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.
    The English Midlands are the key to governance in that country. If the Tories really are in the teens in that region then they are truly fucked. This is looking less and less like a Canada scenario and more like the demise of the once mighty Liberal Party. Yes, liberals still exist in English politics, but the movement is a pale shadow of its peak in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
    It is entirely possible that the Tories are heading for Lib Dem status: also-rans.

Taxi!
    The Liberals only declined as the Labour party overtook them on voteshare and seats as the main non Tory Party. The Tories even now are still second on voteshare, only a Farage led party could really replace the Tories in a 1993 Canada scenario (where the liberal and populist right merged ultimately to form today's Conservative Party of Canada in 2003 anyway)
  • Options

OT

We don't teach enough history; we teach too much foreign history; tbh I just skimmed it and posted here as an FYI for anyone setting out for the newsagent. Black history should be year-round rather than a special month.

One thing I did note from earlier looking at exam syllabuses is that there are so many options in history (for teachers, not pupils, to pick) that it would be mildly surprising if any two schools taught the same programme.

There is also a tension between history in the sense that King Alfred burnt the cakes, and history in the sense that here are two reproduction mediaeval cake recipes so can year 12 say which is more plausible, and history in the sense of can pupils imagine what life was like eating cakes before icing sugar was invented?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If there was one part of running No 10 we should have expected Truss to be good at, it would have been dealing with the whips.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

As against that: look at Leptis Magna in modern Libya, where the probably partly black emperor Septimius comes from. It has been suggested that its size and wealth in the second century is based on the constant traffic of wild beasts to the Roman med to furnish spectacles in amphitheatres (fuck they were horrible people). Such beasts come from well sub-Saharan Africa and presumably need catching and handling and escorting by large teams of highly skilled locals. So there's one input of black Africans.
  • Options

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Taxi!
    Xe Ôm!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,102
    If you don’t mind tying up your money for a couple of years load up on Truss to be PM into the next GE. She’s like a limpet.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, unsure but one or two is entirely possible and wouldn't surprise me. The vast majority, (maybe all, unsure how far south Roman Egypt went) of Rome's African territory was not black, though. Could be that I'm wrong, but I'd want evidence of large numbers of white people in Sudan two thousand years ago, and vice versa.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022

There is a serious point here.

I’ve made a few posts on here, in recent years, about the epidemic of cyber fraud and online scamming - and the utter unwillingness of the government to do its job protecting the people from it. Going after the people who do this shite.

We have scammers actively impersonating the police, HMRC and other government agencies and no meaningful attempt is made to stop it and go after the scum.

Appointing Michael Green to home sec is a special level of cynical.
  • Options

Is that the cable rate, the odds on Truss leaving this week or the time she announces her resignation?
  • Options

OT

We don't teach enough history; we teach too much foreign history; tbh I just skimmed it and posted here as an FYI for anyone setting out for the newsagent. Black history should be year-round rather than a special month.

One thing I did note from earlier looking at exam syllabuses is that there are so many options in history (for teachers, not pupils, to pick) that it would be mildly surprising if any two schools taught the same programme.

There is also a tension between history in the sense that King Alfred burnt the cakes, and history in the sense that here are two reproduction mediaeval cake recipes so can year 12 say which is more plausible, and history in the sense of can pupils imagine what life was like eating cakes before icing sugar was invented?
    I know the government are really into their cakeism, but I had not realised they had managed to insert so much of it into our history lessons.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Scott_xP said:

If there was one part of running No 10 we should have expected Truss to be good at, it would have been dealing with the whips.
    Today might just be the time for safe word - to make it all stop.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,000
    @Peston
    Talking to member of the cabinet last night, it’s clear there is a collective will among ministers to try to keep Liz Truss in office till 31 October, so that the chancellor can determine which further taxes need to rise and what spending should be cut in that de facto budget, the medium term fiscal plan, without the instability of not knowing who will be next PM.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1583004519721336833
  • Options

Your clock is wrong.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

Very good, Ydoethur.

It may interest you to learn that there is a pub in nearby Tewkesbury called The Ancient Grudge. I assumed it referred to the Civil War and was mightily amused, but in fact it turns out to be The War of The Roses.

Long memories around here.
    In Northern Ireland, you inherit your feuds... :smiley:
  • Options
    Peston says that she’s probably save until the end of the month. The grey suits want to get through the budget statement.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

Hmmm... Ok I am going to comment on something I know nothing about (as usual).

Two subjects there, surely? History and local history. Both have a place but imho everyone in this country should study all four of those topics you list to a reasonable level, under the History subject.

Local history study should be available for those with a particular interest.

What would it serve me to know everything about the Norman conquest and the Cinque Ports (I grew up in Hastings) but not much about the Industrial Revolution, once I left home and moved around the country/world?
  • Options

OT

I know the government are really into their cakeism, but I had not realised they had managed to insert so much of it into our history lessons.
    It hasn't led to a flouring of the subject either.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In fairness to the Chief Whip trying to whip the current Conservative party must make herding cats look like a walk in the park. So many factions, so little in common, so many loud mouth opinionated twats who want the world to know what they think and utter incompetence in the form of direction from the centre with no core beliefs or principles to guide anyone.

The Conservatives will undoubtedly benefit from a period in opposition to rediscover what they are actually for. The risk is that no one will actually care anymore.

‘In fairness to the Chief Whip trying to whip the current Conservative party must make herding cats look like a walk in the park. So many factions, so little in common, so many loud mouth opinionated twats who want the world to know what they think and utter incompetence in the form of direction from the centre with no core beliefs or principles to guide anyone.’

Akin to the role of PB moderator?
    Pin that post.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Good question. Hard to pick from such a rogues gallery but I'd probably go for Suella Braverman, Owen Patterson and Jacob Rees Mogg as the absolute worst Tory MPs.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If Mogg and Braverman resign saying Truss needs to go, that leaves a fascinating dilemma.

Do we endorse their views, on the grounds she shouldn't have appointed them, or decide that since they've been wrong on every issue in their utterly worthless lives, actually Truss might have something about her and should be given a second chance?
    No. It would likely be because they have spotted a better way to fleece the system.
  • Options

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Taxi!
    PB’s resident expert on all things English jets in from Sweden to opine.
  • Options
    ping said:

There is a serious point here.

I’ve made a few posts on here, in recent years, about the epidemic of cyber fraud and online scamming - and the utter unwillingness of the government to do its job protecting the people from it. Going after the people who do this shite.

We have scammers actively impersonating the police, HMRC and other government agencies and no meaningful attempt is made to stop it and go after the scum.

Appointing Michael Green to home sec is a special level of cynical.
    The Tories really, really, really don’t care about Little People.
  • Options

Peston says that she’s probably save until the end of the month. The grey suits want to get through the budget statement.

Gone today then
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Taxi!
    If I held the opposite opinion, would my location undermine that opinion?
  • Options

That makes sense, but do politics make sense at the moment.

Does Truss make sense? Will she find a way of derailing even this modest timetable?

Who knows.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

@Peston
    Talking to member of the cabinet last night, it’s clear there is a collective will among ministers to try to keep Liz Truss in office till 31 October, so that the chancellor can determine which further taxes need to rise and what spending should be cut in that de facto budget, the medium term fiscal plan, without the instability of not knowing who will be next PM.

What about the instability of knowing who is PM?

This is (some) cabinet ministers trading for time with the '22 - I'm pretty confident Brady will get letters from near enough half the parliamentary party today. Maybe even a majority.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

Two subjects there, surely? History and local history. Both have a place but imho everyone in this country should study all four of those topics you list to a reasonable level, under the History subject.

What would it serve me to know everything about the Norman conquest and the Cinque Ports (I grew up in Hastings) but not much about the Industrial Revolution, once I left home and moved around the country/world?
    Because you start by showing how you can find out more.* And that's easiest to do in the local area. Once they have that ability, it's much easier to apply to just about any topic.

And because of time restrictions, you have to make choices. Very tough choices. One hour a week is the standard.**

*or at least, you do if you have a brain, so it won't be in any curriculum designed by the DfE.

**Again, something usually got wrong by these groups and our lords and masters. The primary curriculum published in 2013 was so stuffed with content the only way it could be delivered was to abandon the teaching of English and maths and just focus on history. Unfortunately, there was so much in the maths curriculum they would have had to be abandon English and History to focus on maths, so much in the English curriculum...oh you get the picture.

Even worse, the new Edexcel GCSE curriculum which was estimated to be teachable in 120 hours is so full it can't actually be taught to a standard that gets above about Level 5 in less than 190 hours.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In fairness to the Chief Whip trying to whip the current Conservative party must make herding cats look like a walk in the park. So many factions, so little in common, so many loud mouth opinionated twats who want the world to know what they think and utter incompetence in the form of direction from the centre with no core beliefs or principles to guide anyone.

The Conservatives will undoubtedly benefit from a period in opposition to rediscover what they are actually for. The risk is that no one will actually care anymore.

‘In fairness to the Chief Whip trying to whip the current Conservative party must make herding cats look like a walk in the park. So many factions, so little in common, so many loud mouth opinionated twats who want the world to know what they think and utter incompetence in the form of direction from the centre with no core beliefs or principles to guide anyone.’

It worse than that. They can have whatever opinion they like of Radiohead.

No ban hammer.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

One thing that is scandalously badly taught in England is 17th century history. Without understanding the results of the Civil War, Interregnum, “Glorious Revolution” and (stretching slightly over into the 18th) the Acts of Union you can’t understand the current constitution.
  • Options

@Peston

That may be what they want, but the lesson that UK politics is refusing to learn is that wanting the impossible (or even the implausible) doesn't make it happen, no matter how intense the desire.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

OT

To be fair, one must imagine the trauma of a certain PBer when he went to school and learnt about Charles 1 pushing his luck and his divine right where it didn't belong, and getting a rather severe haircut.
    As in other instances, I'm sure sticking his fingers in his ears and going lalalala worked admirably during that lesson.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Good question. Hard to pick from such a rogues gallery but I'd probably go for Suella Braverman, Owen Patterson and Jacob Rees Mogg as the absolute worst Tory MPs.
    I won't have Sir Christorher Chope left out. The guy is ga-ga.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

The nominations threshold to stand for leader will be 120.
    Currently that’s the informal threshold set by Brady that will trigger the committee reviewing the rules. You’re right that this may also become the nomination threshold, I guess.
    If there are 120 Tory MPs prepared to inflict another membership vote on the Party, then it is best the MPs are wiped away and replaced in a decade or more.

That said, despite all that has passed so far, I still don't see a General Election resulting from the current chaos. Peer over the edge, pause, step back to "regroup" under a safer pair of hands.
    Indeed, Labour MPs imposed Brown for 3 years as PM without him ever winning a general election. There is no reason Sunak could not become PM by coronation of Tory MPs and lead the party and country until 2024/25. He even now has the support of most Tory Members

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1582665358489669636?s=20&t=g1is5R42-IiZqyedJhlAEA
    There are a number of reasons and you know it. The Labour Party in 2007-2010 had the usual faults and divisions but it was generally happy to coalesce around Brown. The Conservative Party in 2022 couldn’t stick together behind anyone if you poured a vat of superglue over them. The Conservative Party, if you want an analogy with Labour, is at the worst of the Corbyn years. Difference is that your party claims to form a “government”.
    No, it would need Braverman to be leader to be at the Corbyn stage.

Blairites were also never than happy with Brown and ministers resigned in 2009 calling for Brown to quit. He still had most Labour MPs behind him though.

Truss just needs to be replaced by a PM most Tory MPs can get behind until the next general election, probably Sunak who won more Tory MPs support than Truss in the final MPs ballot anyway
    You’re beyond Corbyn levels of dysfunction. Way way beyond.
    +1

Labour was lucky to have been in opposition, and to have received two useful 'steers' from the voters.

The Tory fiasco has yet to arrive at its date with the electorate, and the MPs can cling to the illusion that somehow they can still turn things around
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927

@Peston

That makes zero sense because that only works if the next leader isn't elected by the membership because any leadership contender is going to want to give some feebies to the membership to win their votes.

• Options
    Has anyone got a spreadsheet of PBers who were ramping Truss during the summer? It would make for fascinating reading.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

DougSeal said:

Con VI:

Wales 32%
    Rest of South 27%
    North 24%
    London 19%
    Midlands 17%
    Scotland 9%

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Midlands 17%

Just absorb that.

Midlands 17%

Of sweet lord.

Taxi!
    If I held the opposite opinion, would my location undermine that opinion?
    Well, that’s the view taken by Scottish posters on here when posters in England express any form of opinion on their country.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

maxh said:

maxh said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree. The real question about fracking is whether our geology is actually suitable for economic extraction. If it is we should do it, just as we should be squeezing what we can from the North Sea, whatever those idiots on the QEII bridge think. The alternative is that we import the gas or oil from other places we would really rather not
    As an avowed environmentalist I reluctantly agree with this IFF combined with a coherent medium term plan to get out of gas and oil much faster than currently planned.

The lack of coherence about what follows it tops the scales back against it, currently, imo. We are just postponing a problem (decarbonising energy) which, the earlier we grapple with, the more we will benefit from (eg growth from expertise in alternative sources of energy)
    There's no reason why we cannot both extract as much oil and gas from the North Sea and invest in alternative sources of energy.
    That’s what I’m arguing for. But I fear at the moment we are doing the former in place of doing the latter at the scale we need. We should incentivise investment in alternatives far more than we are. It will pay itself back in droves.
    I've no idea how much we are investing in energy production and development or how much we should be doing.

Which is indicative of the underlying problem in this country - we think consumption is far more important than production and that consumption must be protected while production has to look after itself.
    Piece on BBC news right now about large floating turbines that can be placed further out to sea. Looks good and they say we are world leaders in this. Lets stay in the lead.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Missed opportunity. If she tried wrapping spaghetti round her trident, it would end up Trussing her up instead.
    And where's the pineapple ?
  • Options

Has anyone got a spreadsheet of PBers who were ramping Truss during the summer? It would make for fascinating reading.

Leon.
    Erm…
    That’s it.
  • Options

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

I won't have Sir Christorher Chope left out. The guy is ga-ga.
    And Owen Paterson isn't an MP.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Which grey suits, but more importantly, whose budget? The working assumption there is that the new PM is going to have to sign up to whatever Hunt produces.

Which does leave open the possibility the new PM might have to rip up parts of that Budget.

Exactly what is not needed.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Heathener said:

Suppose LizT resigns today.

Normally she'd stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new PM was elected.

I can't see that happening unless everyone agrees to play nice for however long it takes -- unlikely.

Truss would have to see the King to resign (still feels odd saying "King" there... not least because I want to clarify I don't mean Elvis!). Who would Charles send for? Would he rely on Truss's advice? Would Coffey be in with a shout of being caretaker PM simply because she's Deputy right now?

Even if there's behind-the-scenes agreement in the Tory party that Sunak (or whoever) steps in as caretaker, what does Charles do if Truss recommends someone else?

There's a strong case here for a written Constitution...!!

Yes to the last bit.

But listening to the political commentators, the biggest problem is that the tories are so riven and ripped apart that they cannot agree to any unifying candidate. Hard as it is to believe, we could be back in a similar situation under a different leader in 2 months time.

We need a General Election but there's no mechanism by which to get one, so far as we know.

p.s. It's easy to blame one faction over another. Boris clearly takes some of the blame for downing the most competent candidate, Rishi, out of sheer spite. But the ERG are fucking nutjobs who have wrecked their party and this country. Sorry but there's no simpler or more accurate way of putting it.
    The ERG will fight tooth and nail to prevent any attempt to by-pass the membership in a leadership vote.The ERG don't have a majority amongst the MPs but they do have a majority amongst the membership. Cut out the membership and the ERG are left twisting in the wind.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No ban hammer.
    Utter shite. No debate. On all matters Radiohead I take a strict North Korea line. Dissenters will be executed by a pack of hungry dogs.
  • Options
    There must come a point where some Tory MPs think their best chance of surviving the next GE is to defect to the LDs or Labour.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

One thing that is scandalously badly taught in England is 17th century history. Without understanding the results of the Civil War, Interregnum, “Glorious Revolution” and (stretching slightly over into the 18th) the Acts of Union you can’t understand the current constitution.
    Speaking for myself I've always found that period rather boring.

(Btw, you can get round your issue with the 17C and Acts of Union by just calling it 'the Stuart era.')
  • Options

maxh said:

maxh said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Piece on BBC news right now about large floating turbines that can be placed further out to sea. Looks good and they say we are world leaders in this. Lets stay in the lead.
    “we”

Ho ho.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon.
    Erm…
    That’s it.
    Barty, WilliamGlenn and LuckyGuy say Hi!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

"History is more or less bunk"
    - Henry Ford

:wink:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,878
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Has Scotland banned covering their precious upland moorlands with vast wind turbine developments? That wrecks the country much more than fracking in small areas would.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon.
    Erm…
    That’s it.
    That suffices.

Sean.

Fucking Sean.

It’s always fucking Sean.

The man has the judgement of a Radiohead fan.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

OT

Roughly yes.

Speaking for myself I've always found that period rather boring.

(Btw, you can get round your issue with the 17C and Acts of Union by just calling it 'the Stuart era.')
    As someone who is currently doing it as a (very) mature student at Birkbeck, what are you smoking?

Prefer “Long 17th Century” myself.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No ban hammer.
    Utter shite. No debate. On all matters Radiohead I take a strict North Korea line. Dissenters will be executed by a pack of hungry dogs.
    Did you just say that Radiohead are utter shite?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927
    edited October 2022

DavidL said:

No ban hammer.
    You can have any opinion you like about Radiohead - it's just wiser to not reveal it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No ban hammer.
    And they probably think Python is a pop group....
This discussion has been closed.