Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New R&W poll: Just 19% support local fracking – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Election pls
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420
    What's Starmer's view on fracking?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Paul Goodman
    @PaulGoodmanCH
    ·
    8m
    Understand that the background to the
    @SuellaBraverman
    resignation was the mother of all rows about migration. Told she was under pressure from Number Ten to announce liberalising migration plan which would make it easier for OBR to say Gvt would hit growth target.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Well there isn't going to be a coronation now. The right will definitely challenge.

There's not going to be a leadership change now, lay Truss to be out any time soon.

With Hunt and Schapps in charge of policy why oust Truss and risk the members electing Braverman? Just keep Truss reading their script like a hostage in a video.
    We just need Gove/Tugendhat to replace 'Clever'ly at FCO and the thickies will be marginalised
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570

@PaulGoodmanCH
    Understand that the background to the @SuellaBraverman resignation was the mother of all rows about migration. Told she was under pressure from Number Ten to announce liberalising migration plan which would make it easier for OBR to say Gvt would hit growth target.

https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1582767147100811264

Immigration going up along with taxes.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927

As the former Energy Minister who signed Net Zero into law, for the sake of our environment and climate, I cannot personally vote tonight to support fracking and undermine the pledges I made at the 2019 General Election.

I am prepared to face the consequences of my decision.

https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1582764535567376387

Got a 10,000 majority, so not necessarily among the walking dead....

Also given his net zero policy potentially welcome on the Labour benches.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

How much more of this must the country put up with before we have a General Election?

What an utter shambles. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Obviously you are too young to remember to remember the Winter of Discontent
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927
    Leon said:

Fucking good place to go if we go

"We will all go together when we go..."
  • Options
    Well now.

New plans to relaunch the European Super League within three years have been revealed because of fears that English clubs have become too dominant.

A new dossier outlining a revived competition has warned that the Premier League is leaving its continental rivals behind.

The presentation, which has been seen by The Times, has been sent to European clubs known to have an interest in the Super League and says that England’s top flight “is outgunning all continental leagues” and that the Champions League “is increasingly dominated by English clubs” who are “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs”.

The company behind the failed launch of the European Super League (ESL) in April 2021 has appointed a new chief executive, Bernd Reichart, who claims it is expected to be re-launched within the next three years. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are backing the company, A22 Sports Management, and are involved in legal action against Uefa.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-set-to-be-revived-to-halt-english-dominance-xlqs7zlnr
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,971
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But it's not a hypothecated tax now, it's just a tax like any other. You're proposing to increase taxes on the working poor so you can keep your inheritance. Do you not see how immoral that is, as a church going person I think your reverend would have words with you. Impoverishing those without so you can enrich yourself with your parents wealth one day is morally wrong.

Well it should be a hypothecation insurance/tax as it was set up to be.

It was not the working poor who Sunak raised National insurance on to fund social care but higher earners, indeed the very poor don't pay National insurance at all.

Proper Tories, including High Tory Anglicans would support preservation of inherited wealth. Don't you try lecturing me on what is morally wrong just because proper Tory values are not you libertarian agenda, tough!!!!
    Fundamentally Conservatism is about protecting the *interests* of inherited wealth.

That is *not* the same as protecting inheritances.

The Bourbons who “never learned and never forgot” were determined to preserve every jot and tittle of their historical privileges. And where are they today? **

The Conservatives understood that you needed “reform that you may preserve”. And have been phenomenally successful. ***

Bluntly speaking, wealth can over survive on society of it is in a manner which is acceptable to others less well off. Egregious protection of wealth at the cost of perceived unfairness is not sustainable - it leads to the likes of Corbyn being appealing to a large number of voters. That would not have been a good outcome for the wealthy…

** that might make an amusing thread in due course

*** until recently
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    What this puts the kibosh on is any notion of a coronation if Truss goes.

Which would be a disaster for the county if the Tories spend another 3 months kicking the hell out of each other.
  • Options

As the former Energy Minister who signed Net Zero into law, for the sake of our environment and climate, I cannot personally vote tonight to support fracking and undermine the pledges I made at the 2019 General Election.

That's a joke right? 10K is gone in a flash with these polling numbers under Truss.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543

Paul Goodman
    @PaulGoodmanCH
    ·
    8m
    Understand that the background to the
    @SuellaBraverman
    resignation was the mother of all rows about migration. Told she was under pressure from Number Ten to announce liberalising migration plan which would make it easier for OBR to say Gvt would hit growth target.

'It has been a great honour to serve in your government which is going in the wrong direction'
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,434
    kle4 said:

Fracking as popular as the Tories then (unoriginal observation).

If it is viable I am supportive of it, even locally to me.

As for other political news, is this what the mid to mid-late 90s felt like? Endless sleaze or incompetence in government day in day out?

It’s 100 times worse
  • Options
    Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

The #HuntReshuffle is on. Suella Braverman looks to be out (Leaver and ECHR-sceptic).

According to reports, she will be replaced by Grant Shapps (Remainer and Globalist).

This is a coup, the Conservative party is dead.

4:39 pm · 19 Oct 2022"
  • Options
    The fall is coming...

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    2m
    MPs just openly rebelling on Twitter now. Liz Truss has lost all authority.
  • Options

@PaulGoodmanCH
    Understand that the background to the @SuellaBraverman resignation was the mother of all rows about migration. Told she was under pressure from Number Ten to announce liberalising migration plan which would make it easier for OBR to say Gvt would hit growth target.

https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1582767147100811264

Immigration going up along with taxes.....
    But your wages won't be going up as companies will be able to find new immigrant employees for less than you currently earn.
  • Options
    The "data leak" just a cover story?
  • Options

Which would be a disaster for the county if the Tories spend another 3 months kicking the hell out of each other.

But think of the popcorn sellers.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900

Brady and the 22 will prevent it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But it's not a hypothecated tax now, it's just a tax like any other. You're proposing to increase taxes on the working poor so you can keep your inheritance. Do you not see how immoral that is, as a church going person I think your reverend would have words with you. Impoverishing those without so you can enrich yourself with your parents wealth one day is morally wrong.

It was not the working poor who Sunak raised National insurance on to fund social care but higher earners, indeed the very poor don't pay National insurance at all.

Proper Tories, including High Tory Anglicans would support preservation of inherited wealth. Don't you try lecturing me on what is morally wrong just because proper Tory values are not you libertarian agenda, tough!!!!
    It has nothing to do with libertarians or Tories. It is a straight moral issue. You want people poorer than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth. That is a clear moral issue regardless of politics and I think Max is right in what your vicar might think
    It has everything to do with libertarians or Tories.

Both you and Max are classical liberals, more in common with each other than traditional Tories.

Scrapping the £86k cap hits average homeowners or less with £200k to £400k homes especially hard as most of their estate goes in care costs.

The biggest rise in NI by Sunak by far was for those earning over £100k, lower earners even saw a slight NI cut.

So don't give me this crap about NI hitting the poor most while the social care cap only protects the rich!!!
    That is the 2nd time now you have accused me of saying 'poor' when I actually said 'poorer' The words have very different meanings. Try reading what I say.

You want people POORER (not the poor) than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth.
    No I don't, the biggest increase in NI was for those earning over £100k who are certainly not poorer than my parents, anyone earning average income of £35k or less had no NI rise.

You by contrast want average home owners with properties of £200k to £400k to lose most of their property value in care costs by scrapping the £86k care cap
    You are dissembling by picking on the recent changes.

You want people who pay tax and NI say who earn, £20,000, or £30,000 or £50,000 and have mortgages on a small house to contribute to your parents care costs so that you can inherit their wealth.

That is people who I am guessing are actually POORER than your parents.

That is correct isn't it?

Also I don't want people to lose their properties at all. I have never said that.
    No I don't. As I said Sunak did NOT increase NI on anyone earning under £35k a year, only on higher earners, especially earning over £100k.

You however want to force average home owners owning homes worth just £200 to £300k to lose most of their property value by selling it to pay for care costs. You want to take peoples' properties by scrapping the £86k cap!!!
    If they are going into care what use do they have of it?
    Inheritance for their children and grandchildren, support for and building a nest egg for family a core Tory value
    Paid for by all other families - that's more like the Tory values
  • Options

Election pls

Another winter election.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

kle4 said:

As for other political news, is this what the mid to mid-late 90s felt like? Endless sleaze or incompetence in government day in day out?

It’s 100 times worse
    Yeah. Then we had a reasonably well-liked PM who was at least seen as sane, truthful, in power and doing his best.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Fundamentally Conservatism is about protecting the *interests* of inherited wealth.

The Bourbons who “never learned and never forgot” were determined to preserve every jot and tittle of their historical privileges. And where are they today? **
    26p a packet at Sainsbury's:
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-bourbon-creams-200g
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Andy_JS said:

Well there isn't going to be a coronation now. The right will definitely challenge.

Indeed.. what a shit show.
    Unless 1922 change the rules.
    They can't change the rules to avoid a membership vote, as that's in the party constitution.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Well now.

New plans to relaunch the European Super League within three years have been revealed because of fears that English clubs have become too dominant.

A new dossier outlining a revived competition has warned that the Premier League is leaving its continental rivals behind.

The presentation, which has been seen by The Times, has been sent to European clubs known to have an interest in the Super League and says that England’s top flight “is outgunning all continental leagues” and that the Champions League “is increasingly dominated by English clubs” who are “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs”.

The company behind the failed launch of the European Super League (ESL) in April 2021 has appointed a new chief executive, Bernd Reichart, who claims it is expected to be re-launched within the next three years. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are backing the company, A22 Sports Management, and are involved in legal action against Uefa.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-set-to-be-revived-to-halt-english-dominance-xlqs7zlnr

2 English clubs inthe semis last year, 2 the year before, 0 the year before that, 2 the year before that (both into the final), 1 the year before that.

It's a good run, but not that dominating.

Seems like a pretty clear attempt to find a different pretext for why they simply have to form a new league, because the last one didn't fly.

Still one of the stupidest launches ever though - it's not like people like Uefa or Fifa, yet the ESL clubs made them the good guys.
  • Options
    One thing that didn't make any sense: Truss appointing Braverman as Home Secretary and then pursuing a pro-migration policy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576
    edited October 2022

That's a joke right? 10K is gone in a flash with these polling numbers under Truss.

Hmm, IIRC Kingswood is in part on an old coalfield. Not directly a fracking target as such, but I wonder about other strata in the area. Or indeed coal gasification.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,196
    Take back control/Brexit update:

Singapore on Thames - Markets say no.
    Control immigration - OBR says no because markets say no.

Not going particularly brilliantly, now, is it. Almost as if a modern country needs to understand and accommodate global trade, capital, and labour flows as it goes about its business and that it can't shut out the rest of the world.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

It’s 100 times worse
    Yeah. Then we had a reasonably well-liked PM who was at least seen as sane, truthful, in power and doing his best.
    And now? Now the "Bastards" have taken over the asylum...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

The #HuntReshuffle is on. Suella Braverman looks to be out (Leaver and ECHR-sceptic).

According to reports, she will be replaced by Grant Shapps (Remainer and Globalist).

What a twat. If the Conservative Party is dead it is because all of the thick swivel-eyed loons that moved from his little proto-fascist parties to the Conservative Party and voted for the Clown and then Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,842
    That's 3 Tory MPs now saying they are prepared to lose the whip over fracking https://twitter.com/AJRichardsonMP/status/1582766981379682305
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135

kle4 said:

It’s 100 times worse
    This is significantly worse than it felt in the mid 1990s. Far less sense that the practicalities of Government are still happening, amidst the internecine brawling.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

They can't change the rules to avoid a membership vote, as that's in the party constitution.
    It's easy, just decouple the position of PM and party leader.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

There is at least one way - set the nominations threshold too high for more than one candidate to realistically get through. But that's a little too brazen.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

One thing that didn't make any sense: Truss appointing Braverman as Home Secretary and then pursuing a pro-migration policy.

The last 12 words are unnecessary.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

It’s 100 times worse
    Thought it turned out he was under a desk with Edwina...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It has nothing to do with libertarians or Tories. It is a straight moral issue. You want people poorer than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth. That is a clear moral issue regardless of politics and I think Max is right in what your vicar might think

Both you and Max are classical liberals, more in common with each other than traditional Tories.

Scrapping the £86k cap hits average homeowners or less with £200k to £400k homes especially hard as most of their estate goes in care costs.

The biggest rise in NI by Sunak by far was for those earning over £100k, lower earners even saw a slight NI cut.

So don't give me this crap about NI hitting the poor most while the social care cap only protects the rich!!!
    That is the 2nd time now you have accused me of saying 'poor' when I actually said 'poorer' The words have very different meanings. Try reading what I say.

You want people POORER (not the poor) than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth.
    No I don't, the biggest increase in NI was for those earning over £100k who are certainly not poorer than my parents, anyone earning average income of £35k or less had no NI rise.

You by contrast want average home owners with properties of £200k to £400k to lose most of their property value in care costs by scrapping the £86k care cap

You want people who pay tax and NI say who earn, £20,000, or £30,000 or £50,000 and have mortgages on a small house to contribute to your parents care costs so that you can inherit their wealth.

Also I don't want people to lose their properties at all. I have never said that.
    No I don't. As I said Sunak did NOT increase NI on anyone earning under £35k a year, only on higher earners, especially earning over £100k.

You however want to force average home owners owning homes worth just £200 to £300k to lose most of their property value by selling it to pay for care costs. You want to take peoples' properties by scrapping the £86k cap!!!
    Inheritance for their children and grandchildren, support for and building a nest egg for family a core Tory value
    "Robbed from" more like it.
  • Options

10k would be vulnerable at a normal by-election, with normal polling, given potential for tactical voting to punish government of the day. Right now it is a dead certain loss.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I predicted this morning that Braverman would probably be the next to go.

Hope you backed your hunch.
    No I'm not betting at the moment. Sod's Law.

The odds on an election this year must have come down a bit.
    The path to a general election is not clear. The Conservatives won't want one, and Labour can't force one. A new Tory Prime Minister is more likely.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    edited October 2022
    So people support windfarms being built in their local area by a huge net majority (net 57% for) that makes the current Labour poll lead look puny. And yet the Conservatives under Johnson and now Truss have put in place planning restrictions that make further onshore developments all but impossible.

And I suspect that the polling would be the same in favour of solar farms, which Truss doesn't want either.

Meanwhile there is a substantial majority against fracking (net 10% against anywhere, net 16% against locally.) And yet Truss is pushing fracking for all that she's worth.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's 3 Tory MPs now saying they are prepared to lose the whip over fracking https://twitter.com/AJRichardsonMP/status/1582766981379682305

The new Lib Dem MP for Guildford.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It is also a very human value. Did not even the blessed Tony Benn, as left as any cabinet minister has ever been, use some kind of trust scheme to ensure inheritance for his family?
    Yes, the Wedgewood Benn family was well looked after and there has been much use of the hereditary principle in the Labour Party to ensure his heirs continue their political influence
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Not going particularly brilliantly, now, is it. Almost as if a modern country needs to understand and accommodate global trade, capital, and labour flows as it goes about its business and that it can't shut out the rest of the world.

Brexit was never about shutting out the rest of the world...
  • Options
    Thatcher resigned shortly after saying "I fight on, I fight to win".

Truss today: "I'm a fighter not a quitter".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Is 'globalist' his new code word or something?

Talk of coups is fun, but overblown. The Conservative Party can be whatever it wants to be, he is talking out of his arse if he thinks a specific policy agenda is what defines it (especially one which they have, in fact, not been following for a long time). It's party intrafighting sure, and coup is a reasonable analogy, unless you take it as seriously as he does, where he pretends to think it is an outrage that a party can choose to radically change direction, as in fact it just did.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The path to a general election is not clear. The Conservatives won't want one, and Labour can't force one. A new Tory Prime Minister is more likely.
    Even some of the current Tory MPs sound fed up on the radio. I reckon some would vote for it
  • Options
    Driver said:

TOPPING said:

It was about spinning a fantasy that the rest of the world didn't matter. A notion that is collapsing as quickly as La Truss' government.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Braverman admits a mistake but twists the knife in, big time.

If it was a mistake. To me, it looks like a good way to "resign" and show how honourable you are (At least *I* do not cling on until my fingernails rip out, unlike you PM) and then she can stand for Leader having "proved" how morally superior she is.

And all it would take is "an accidental email"
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

If they spend another 3 months on navel gazing, they will be pollisg in single digits and be utterly wiped out/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

There is at least one way - set the nominations threshold too high for more than one candidate to realistically get through. But that's a little too brazen.
    That would certainly draw a legal challenge, which is not necessarily optimal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    TOPPING said:

Free movement has still been replaced by a points system
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    Andy_JS said:

That was a Peter Mandelson quote, wasn't it? Before he quit.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No one's mentioned that she quoted Mandelson, when he got re-elected way back in 2001.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Is 'globalist' his new code word or something?

Talk of coups is fun, but overblown. The Conservative Party can be whatever it wants to be, he is talking out of his arse if he thinks a specific policy agenda is what defines it (especially one which they have, in fact, not been following for a long time). It's party intrafighting sure, and coup is a reasonable analogy, unless you take it as seriously as he does, where he pretends to think it is an outrage that a party can choose to radically change direction, as in fact it just did.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/28/jewish-groups-and-mps-condemn-nigel-farage-for-antisemitic-dog-whistles?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The last 12 words are unnecessary.
    Nevertheless, AndyJS does raise an interesting point there, as it is pretty weird. I mean, many people did not like Braverman, but everyone knew her stance on that, so Truss appointing her was not a disaster, if you assumed, as you would, that she wanted Braverman to act on her instincts.
  • Options
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

By which point it will be too late, and the courts would be very reluctant to intervene.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What's Starmer's view on fracking?

That Tories should talk about it more.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Alex Wickham saying 13 ministers are on resignation watch.

It's never-ending.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Utter crap. The AVERAGE family home would see almost its entire value wiped out by ending the £86k care cap.

All to protect the highest earners earning over £100k from a NI rise to help pay for social care. All classical liberalism in its purest form, putting the individual above the family
  • Options
    The main problem is that Tory MPs never accepted the result of the membership vote.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Driver said:

TOPPING said:

It was about spinning a fantasy that the rest of the world didn't matter. A notion that is collapsing as quickly as La Truss' government.
    Nope, still wrong.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

By which point it will be too late, and the courts would be very reluctant to intervene.
    Would deffo risk a split though.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I am always fond of the John Major - "When your back's against the wall, it's time to turn around and fight."
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Are they using the same points system for free movement in and out of the Cabinet?
  • Options
    I have been busy for the last couple of hours but delighted Hunt has sacked Braverman as he moves the party towards a one nation conservative party

I hope there are a good number of conservatives voting with labour on fracking and bring Truss down
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The main problem is that Tory MPs never accepted the result of the membership vote.

"The Membership have no right to do wrong!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

We had a stricter points system before they introduced this points system but eh, why let facts get in the way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Utter crap. The AVERAGE family home would see almost its entire value wiped out by ending the £86k care cap.

All to protect the highest earners earning over £100k from a NI rise to help pay for social care. All classical liberalism in its purest form, putting the individual above the family
    The two aren't necessarily linked. Reducing the burden on the state of paying for the care of the rich gives it more ability to lower taxes on those who are struggling to even get on the housing ladder in the first place.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    Zelensky has held a crisis meeting as the energy system in the Ukraine is at risk of collapse
    We are teetering at the brink
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If the membership votes to crash the economy then should they have continued?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

It will soon be free movement, but with a pretty pointless points system.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

SB evidently wanted to close up shop a la Brexit and was told that would not be possible and that the UK would need to welcome immigrants.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,102
    The Brexit idea of stoppion
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

The government claims that to be the case but it's not a points system, as advertised, in the Australian sense. It's the pre-Brexit system introduced under Gordon Brown extended to the EU. So we can keep all the furriners out regardless of continent of origin. Brexit is equal opps in that sense at least.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The main problem is that Tory MPs can draw a straight line from the mini-budget, via the opinion polls, to their own P45s.
  • Options

It's never-ending.

After the events of July my first thought was 13 isn't that many.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

Driver said:

Andy_JS said:

As RobD notes that would be too late, and it also seems on the face of it to not have much prospect of success - it has been well established that the 1922 committee, under the constitution of the party, has the ability to set the rules on who can stand as leader - hence why the threshold was higher this time than in 2019.

Upon the initiation of an election for the Leader, it shall be the duty of the 1922 Committee to present to the Party, as soon as reasonably practicable, a choice of candidates for election as Leader. The rules for deciding the procedure by which the 1922 Committee selects candidates for submission for election shall be determined by the Executive Committee of the 1922 Committee after consultation of the Board.

If there is only one candidate at the time laid down for the close of nominations, that candidate shall be declared Leader of the Party

https://public.conservatives.com/organisation-department/202101/Conservative Party Constitution as amended January 2021.pdf

I mean, that seems relatively clear - when an election is initiated (this was argued about under Boris, but let's assume Truss has resigned as leader), the 1922 committee has to present candidates. The executive committee of the 1922 committee can decide the procedure, after consulting the Board of the party (which by that wording need not even agree with the procedure, but must be consulted about it).

Whatever happened to that bullcrap challenge to MPs removing Boris (even though he resigned)?

I don't say cutting out the members in so blatant a fashion is a good idea, but it is clear the 1922 committee is allowed to raise the nomination threshold. On what basis would a court decide that internal party rule is not permissable?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303

The arm of the tofu-eating wokerati is long and its vengeance is total

https://twitter.com/Docstockk/status/1582759403576778752

Though entirely bloodless and humane.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    There is no possibility Shapps will go along with the Rwanda policy.

One thing we can be sure of is that no one with Jewish parents and grandparents would agree to treating asylum seekers in that way.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They represent constituents not members. It is an important distinction, and why it is ludicrous that the nutters get the final say
  • Options
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

It’s 100 times worse
    This is significantly worse than it felt in the mid 1990s. Far less sense that the practicalities of Government are still happening, amidst the internecine brawling.
    Under Truss, if they tried to set up a cone hotline the junior minister in charge would probably implement something to report anyone eating an ice cream in public.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The Conservatives understood that you needed “reform that you may preserve”. And have been phenomenally successful. ***

Bluntly speaking, wealth can over survive on society of it is in a manner which is acceptable to others less well off. Egregious protection of wealth at the cost of perceived unfairness is not sustainable - it leads to the likes of Corbyn being appealing to a large number of voters. That would not have been a good outcome for the wealthy…

*** until recently
    Corbyn nearly became PM in 2017 thanks to the dementia tax you want for goodness sake!!!!

It was only Boris scrapping it and promising to cap care costs that won the Conservatives a majority in 2019
  • Options
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

It’s 100 times worse
    Also the looming threat of 48 hour blackouts (reported in the Guardian today) and possible nuclear escalation. And we have this bunch of turkeys in charge, fighting like ferrets in a sack.

I could not think of a worse time for there to be an absence of stable leadership.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Today's word of the day - omnishambles.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

No one's mentioned that she quoted Mandelson, when he got re-elected way back in 2001.
    Another narcissist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7p8hfaVz6E
  • Options
    All of this won't be helping to reduce the size of Boris Johnson's ego.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    So - Braverman is gone. Good.

She is set to be replaced by one of the very few people in the House of Commons less honest and competent than she is. Much less good.

And WTF does Truss have against Javid that she spends so much time dripping poison about him? Did he refuse her advances or something?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The main problem is Truss is crap.
    The bigger problem is no-one has a majority in the House. Whoever is PM is going to struggle massively and face their agendas being blocked.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The main problem is Truss is crap.
    As may be - realistically the main problem is that Sunak wasn't ever going to win, so they should have put through someone better to face him.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089

It's never-ending.

Is it known why they are on resignation watch or what they are trying to achieve by being on it?

Even by themselves?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

SB evidently wanted to close up shop a la Brexit and was told that would not be possible and that the UK would need to welcome immigrants.
    The issue is that damned fool Cameron Manifesto commitment - they should have junked it years ago.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Come on now - enough is enough.

Brady needs to tell Truss to go now or he changes the rules and holds a No Confidence vote.

Leadership election - 20% of MPs to be nominated.

Get Party Board to agree Final 2 do not go to membership vote. If can't be done, one hustings shown online and members have 7 days to return ballot paper.

Time for all messing around is over. Action required right now - this afternoon.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

*** until recently
    Corbyn nearly became PM in 2017 thanks to the dementia tax you want for goodness sake!!!!

It was only Boris scrapping it and promising to cap care costs that won the Conservatives a majority in 2019
    That's interesting. You have always maintained it was that "Boris" wanted to "get Brexit Done" wot won it?

(By the way, it wasn't either. It was Keep Corbyn Out that won it!)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So - Braverman is gone. Good.

She is set to be replaced by one of the very few people in the House of Commons less honest and competent than she is. Much less good.

And WTF does Truss have against Javid that she spends so much time dripping poison about him? Did he refuse her advances or something?

The Saj ousted Number 10's Jason Stein this morning.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The two aren't necessarily linked. Reducing the burden on the state of paying for the care of the rich gives it more ability to lower taxes on those who are struggling to even get on the housing ladder in the first place.
    An end to the £86k cap doesn't just hit the rich it hits every average homeowner in the country with paying the vast majority of their property to the state. It also hits the young too who get no help with deposits from parents or grandparents
This discussion has been closed.