Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New R&W poll: Just 19% support local fracking – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Email on a private phone why she has had to go.

Suella Braverman is Hillary Clinton and I claim $5

$5.50 after todays news surely?
    actually $5.55
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    Suella sacked - “I have concerns about the direction of this government” https://twitter.com/suellabraverman/status/1582762282626736128
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Still, no need to worry

“It now seems likely Putin will detonate some sort of nuclear device in or around Ukraine. That will precipitate the biggest global crisis since Cuba. This morning ministers and Tory MPs are saying the only person they can find to lead us through that crisis is Liz Truss.”

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1582627095486038016?s=46&t=1KENNfcwOvbWPl8-mRg2Ew

I love how everyone treats Hodges saying Brady has zillions of letters in as gospel but they'll poo poo this.
    Reading between the lines “Russia drops a tactical nuke” now seems as likely as not

There is no other way Putin can win. If his army is not capable of a second invasion from Belarus, he is out of options
    It is also not a way he can win.

It's not impossible that he is mad enough to resort to a nuclear weapon, but it's certainly not 'as likely as not'.
    This from @ozymandias seems the best explanation for recent events

“None. It's an opinion same as any other opinion about "what may happen" on this site. It does seem odd Wallace jetting off (and there are plenty of other ways of avoiding a commons vote), something obviously happened when Truss did her disappearing act (alternative being she was strapped down and given a heavy dose of Ketamine).

Putin wouldn't go straight in with a full nuclear attack as that loses him his leverage. Nukes are tools of leverage. So the obvious path would be a detonation under the guise of an "exercise" to prove he's not mucking about. Informing the US would be a necessary step to avoid any misunderstanding.”

It’s not nice. But that adds up
    I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that Putin escalates this by conducting some kind of nuclear test on his own soil. In one fell swoop, the markets will nosedive, precipitating a financial crisis in the west. Not to mention the total hysteria it will cause - a run on loo roll, baked beans, etc. He can and will inflict significant economic damage on the west in a way we can't do anything about.

This is almost inevitably the next escalation. The only question is where it goes from there.

(Sound of ominous blue teletype on a black screen, a la Threads)
    Yes. That’s my thinking

People seem to think a tactical nuke will be just a miliitary/political problem

It will by itself cause economic chaos across the world. Markets will explode with anxiety in every way

People will flee cities etc

There was a dude on here at the start of Covid, Eadric I think his name was, crapped himself and ran off from London to Penrith IIRC. Never heard of again.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:

Suella sacked - “I have concerns about the direction of this government” https://twitter.com/suellabraverman/status/1582762282626736128

Shes angling to come back as leader? Sounds like it.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Not sure this can go on much longer.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    TOFU = Today One Fucked Up
  • Options
    LT "acting" PM was asked at PMQs IF she would commit her "government" to fully funding military AND humanitarian/economic aid to UKR.

She said that MILITARY support would continue at this's year's level. Said NOTHING about non-military (at least in that exchange).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    1m
    Suella Braverman was sacked: PM was advised that the ministerial code had been breached

LOL

Still, it probably sounds better than “this is Jeremy’s first reshuffle”.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,735
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Still, no need to worry

“It now seems likely Putin will detonate some sort of nuclear device in or around Ukraine. That will precipitate the biggest global crisis since Cuba. This morning ministers and Tory MPs are saying the only person they can find to lead us through that crisis is Liz Truss.”

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1582627095486038016?s=46&t=1KENNfcwOvbWPl8-mRg2Ew

I love how everyone treats Hodges saying Brady has zillions of letters in as gospel but they'll poo poo this.
    Reading between the lines “Russia drops a tactical nuke” now seems as likely as not

There is no other way Putin can win. If his army is not capable of a second invasion from Belarus, he is out of options

It's not impossible that he is mad enough to resort to a nuclear weapon, but it's certainly not 'as likely as not'.

“None. It's an opinion same as any other opinion about "what may happen" on this site. It does seem odd Wallace jetting off (and there are plenty of other ways of avoiding a commons vote), something obviously happened when Truss did her disappearing act (alternative being she was strapped down and given a heavy dose of Ketamine).

Putin wouldn't go straight in with a full nuclear attack as that loses him his leverage. Nukes are tools of leverage. So the obvious path would be a detonation under the guise of an "exercise" to prove he's not mucking about. Informing the US would be a necessary step to avoid any misunderstanding.”

I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that Putin escalates this by conducting some kind of nuclear test on his own soil. In one fell swoop, the markets will nosedive, precipitating a financial crisis in the west. Not to mention the total hysteria it will cause - a run on loo roll, baked beans, etc. He can and will inflict significant economic damage on the west in a way we can't do anything about.

This is almost inevitably the next escalation. The only question is where it goes from there.

Yes. That’s my thinking

It will by itself cause economic chaos across the world. Markets will explode with anxiety in every way

There was a dude on here at the start of Covid, Eadric I think his name was, crapped himself and ran off from London to Penrith IIRC. Never heard of again.
    Penarth. The one with palm trees. Penrith is the one with sheep.
  • Options
    I don't have anything clever to say about the ongoing proof of Darwinism in our politics other than it is very very funny
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

If only somebody had warned that Liz Truss as PM would be a shitshow.

If only somebody had advised she would be ousted by conference 2023.

You mean "somebody" like 98% of the posters on this blog? That "somebody"??

Everyone except Leondamus, wasn’t it? ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    JACK_W said:

The JNN is reporting that Liz Truss has approached Mike Smithson to be Home Secretary but he has declined on account of washing his hair .....

Nice to see you here Jack!
  • Options
    UPDATE: Multiple Whitehall and security sources say Braverman sacked over a ‘leak of classified information’ - emailed externally to non cleared pal

But she clashed with PM last night over immigration and blamed for ‘blowing up India trade deal’ recently
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20162025/suella-braverman-sacked-as-home-secretary/
  • Options

Never mind conference 2023, will Liz Truss make it to Diwali?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Hunt forming his new Cabinet?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,301
    Carnyx said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    1m
    Suella Braverman was sacked: PM was advised that the ministerial code had been breached

They're all of a sudden worrying about the Ministerial Code? I wonder whom they are trying to keep out.
    Good point. Now's a fine time to worry about the ministerial code.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m
    Point people are missing. Liz Truss clearly believed she can sack the Home Secretary less than a week after sacking her Chancellor, and carry on. Anyone who continues to argue she can stay in office has completely taken leave of their senses.

They already did when they voted for her as PM.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Loss the support of the ERG now I’d guess

Dunno - sort of feels like the party is split or is splitting
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    Scott_xP said:

Could there be the teeniest bit of veiled criticism of the prime minister in that resignation letter?
    "Pretending we haven't made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can't see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics."
  • Options
    Genuinely unclear at this stage whether she went deliberately and has accidentally made herself look like moron, or went because she's a moron and is trying to make it look deliberate.
    https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1582763565840502784
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m
    Point people are missing. Liz Truss clearly believed she can sack the Home Secretary less than a week after sacking her Chancellor, and carry on. Anyone who continues to argue she can stay in office has completely taken leave of their senses.

Eh ?

Braverman admitted she broke the rules and had to go in her letter
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Loss the support of the ERG now I’d guess

Dunno - sort of feels like the party is split or is splitting

Best thing that could happen to them, 30 years overdue
  • Options

Hunt forming his new Cabinet?

It gives cover for a reshuffle.
  • Options

Well, I've been a political animal for just about 50 years now. Regardless of political allegiance, I can't ever recall such mayhem as we have now at the heart of government. It's an unbelievable mess, it really is. The government, and the Tory Party, are disintegrating.

I was convinced we wouldn't have a GE until 2024. I'm not so sure now.

The thing is, Hunt, or Sunak or Mordaunt or Johnson or whoever don't have a majority in the commons either. And the Tories hate their Tory opponents factions, it is not just disagreements but hate and a complete lack of acceptance of each others views.

If the country could live with steady as she goes we might get to a 2024 election, but we can't, lots of difficult decisions have to be made in the next 12 months, some of which don't have a majority in the house without Labour support.

Very confident we get an election next year.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,176
    Goodbye Denver

Goodbye….

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    I predicted this morning that Braverman would probably be the next to go.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    I'm hearing that in a bid to find a popular policy, Liz Truss is proposing to remove Nelson from his column in Trafalgar Square - and replace it with a 40 foot gold statue of Jimmy Savile.....

"I mean, everyone loved Jim'll Fix It!"
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
  • Options

I've just logged on to check the news and... oh ffs. Can they just stop. All of them, just stop. Now. And go away.

One by one they seem to be doing that.
  • Options

Email on a private phone why she has had to go.

Suella Braverman is Hillary Clinton and I claim $5

$5.50 after todays news surely?
    actually $5.55
    $5.57 now. $5.58 by the time you read it......
  • Options
    Braverman admits a mistake but twists the knife in, big time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    1m

They're all of a sudden worrying about the Ministerial Code? I wonder whom they are trying to keep out.
    Good point. Now's a fine time to worry about the ministerial code.
    "The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

The Conservative party is very publically and very fatally disintegrating. They need to put in place a team under Hunt, Mordaunt or Sunak by the weekend

Why? Let the f*ckers disintegrate. However they will regroup, they always do (sadly).
  • Options
    Driver said:
    Truss, Boris, the whole bloody lot of em.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

UPDATE: Multiple Whitehall and security sources say Braverman sacked over a ‘leak of classified information’ - emailed externally to non cleared pal

But she clashed with PM last night over immigration and blamed for ‘blowing up India trade deal’ recently
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/20162025/suella-braverman-sacked-as-home-secretary/

So Suella Braverman followed the example set for her by her soulmate Donald Trump?

Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But it's not a hypothecated tax now, it's just a tax like any other. You're proposing to increase taxes on the working poor so you can keep your inheritance. Do you not see how immoral that is, as a church going person I think your reverend would have words with you. Impoverishing those without so you can enrich yourself with your parents wealth one day is morally wrong.

Well it should be a hypothecation insurance/tax as it was set up to be.

It was not the working poor who Sunak raised National insurance on to fund social care but higher earners, indeed the very poor don't pay National insurance at all.

Proper Tories, including High Tory Anglicans would support preservation of inherited wealth. Don't you try lecturing me on what is morally wrong just because proper Tory values are not you libertarian agenda, tough!!!!
    It has nothing to do with libertarians or Tories. It is a straight moral issue. You want people poorer than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth. That is a clear moral issue regardless of politics and I think Max is right in what your vicar might think
    It has everything to do with libertarians or Tories.

Both you and Max are classical liberals, more in common with each other than traditional Tories.

Scrapping the £86k cap hits average homeowners or less with £200k to £400k homes especially hard as most of their estate goes in care costs.

The biggest rise in NI by Sunak by far was for those earning over £100k, lower earners even saw a slight NI cut.

So don't give me this crap about NI hitting the poor most while the social care cap only protects the rich!!!
    simple to fix we just protect the last 250k of assets instead of the 86k postulated....average home owner of 300k house pays 50k to there care....million pound homeowner pays up to 750k. See not difficult. Also once again you also miss out the point...the social care levy may have only hit those earning over 37.5k but it was going nowhere near covering even the bulk of social care costs the bulk of which would be out of general taxation still and thus your windfall being subsidised by tax payers amongst the poorest people still.

I for one will giggle insanely if your expected inheritance gets left to a cats home instead of you
  • Options
    Driver said:
    Paragraphs 3 and 4 are a two-footed tackle on the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m

DID she sack her Home Secretary? Or did Jeremy Hunt?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    May be of interest - from Full Fact:

When a backbench MP says something wrong in the House of Commons they can’t correct it.

It sounds astonishing, but it’s true: most MPs, including the Leader of the Opposition, are stopped from doing what we tell any six year old to do - own up to their mistakes.

A broken corrections system means the official record of debates in the House of Commons is littered with false or misleading information. Trust in politics is being corroded from inside Parliament.

Tens of thousands of people joined Full Fact’s campaign to do something about it. Earlier this year we heard there would be an inquiry into Parliament’s corrections system.

Today I was invited to give evidence to that inquiry, and a few hours ago I shared our concerns directly with the Procedure Committee, a group of MPs who can recommend changes to how the official record can be corrected.

This wouldn’t have happened without the 34,000 people who have joined our campaign. Will you add your name?

https://actions.fullfact.org/petitions/mps-owe-us-truth/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m

Eh ?

But who appointed another Cabinet dud?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    murali_s said:

The Conservative party is very publically and very fatally disintegrating. They need to put in place a team under Hunt, Mordaunt or Sunak by the weekend

Why? Let the f*ckers disintegrate. However they will regroup, they always do (sadly).
    Because short of the ability to force an election i'd rather the country wasnt left to twist in the wind whilst they fuck about
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But it's not a hypothecated tax now, it's just a tax like any other. You're proposing to increase taxes on the working poor so you can keep your inheritance. Do you not see how immoral that is, as a church going person I think your reverend would have words with you. Impoverishing those without so you can enrich yourself with your parents wealth one day is morally wrong.

It was not the working poor who Sunak raised National insurance on to fund social care but higher earners, indeed the very poor don't pay National insurance at all.

Proper Tories, including High Tory Anglicans would support preservation of inherited wealth. Don't you try lecturing me on what is morally wrong just because proper Tory values are not you libertarian agenda, tough!!!!
    It has nothing to do with libertarians or Tories. It is a straight moral issue. You want people poorer than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth. That is a clear moral issue regardless of politics and I think Max is right in what your vicar might think

Both you and Max are classical liberals, more in common with each other than traditional Tories.

Scrapping the £86k cap hits average homeowners or less with £200k to £400k homes especially hard as most of their estate goes in care costs.

The biggest rise in NI by Sunak by far was for those earning over £100k, lower earners even saw a slight NI cut.

So don't give me this crap about NI hitting the poor most while the social care cap only protects the rich!!!
    That is the 2nd time now you have accused me of saying 'poor' when I actually said 'poorer' The words have very different meanings. Try reading what I say.

You want people POORER (not the poor) than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth.
    No I don't, the biggest increase in NI was for those earning over £100k who are certainly not poorer than my parents, anyone earning average income of £35k or less had no NI rise.

You by contrast want average home owners with properties of £200k to £400k to lose most of their property value in care costs by scrapping the £86k care cap
    You are dissembling by picking on the recent changes.

You want people who pay tax and NI say who earn, £20,000, or £30,000 or £50,000 and have mortgages on a small house to contribute to your parents care costs so that you can inherit their wealth.

That is people who I am guessing are actually POORER than your parents.

That is correct isn't it?

Also I don't want people to lose their properties at all. I have never said that.
    No I don't. As I said Sunak did NOT increase NI on anyone earning under £35k a year, only on higher earners, especially earning over £100k.

You however want to force average home owners owning homes worth just £200 to £300k to lose most of their property value by selling it to pay for care costs. You want to take peoples' properties by scrapping the £86k cap!!!
    If they are going into care what use do they have of it?
    Inheritance for their children and grandchildren, support for and building a nest egg for family a core Tory value
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hope you backed your hunch.
  • Options
    Is it possible that MPs are agreeing not to press for Liz Truss to go, on condition that the rest of the Cabinet meets with the approval of the Chancellor and is more or less acceptable to most of the Tory MPs?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

I'm hearing that in a bid to find a popular policy, Liz Truss is proposing to remove Nelson from his column in Trafalgar Square - and replace it with a 40 foot gold statue of Jimmy Savile.....

1.52 to be gone by xmas.

Dropped a little in last hour or so.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    This parliament ain’t going to last its term.

I’ve laid a big chunk of 1.39 “election 2024 or later”
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m

Eh ?

Two scenarios:
    1) Braverman realised she has done a silly, speaks to civil servant, does the honourable thing and resigns
    2) Braverman does a silly, thinks "so", and gets sacked. Then writes a "you can't sack me, I resigned" letter which fires broadsides at the PM

Braverman has no honour. Just look at her letter - para 3 - and question if she is showing any honour whilst writing a letter claiming honour.

She. Was. Sacked.
  • Options
    Dom opines:

given Gvt docs, incl OFF-SEN, are routinely circulated by top no10 & CABOFF officials by gmail and whatsapp DAILY, the idea that sending a draft WMS via gmail = sacking/resignation offence is laughable.

clearly fired by PM / Hunt

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1582764013456613376
  • Options

1.52 to be gone by xmas.

Dropped a little in last hour or so.

Insane. She wont see the weekend in post
  • Options

I don't have anything clever to say about the ongoing proof of Darwinism in our politics other than it is very very funny

I know that he didn't theorise about the "survival of the fittest", which is often attributed to him incorrectly, but maybe he did prophesise about the political survival of the shittest, which of course does apply to Boris Johnson for quite a while and may continue to apply to Lizzy Lightweight.

This anti-evolution theory (sometimes known as devolution) is where the very shittest person manages to convince the most stupid to promote them to ever more senior positions until eventually they collapse in a cataclysmic mass extinction of all those around them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    3m

Eh ?

Two scenarios:
    1) Braverman realised she has done a silly, speaks to civil servant, does the honourable thing and resigns
    2) Braverman does a silly, thinks "so", and gets sacked. Then writes a "you can't sack me, I resigned" letter which fires broadsides at the PM

Braverman has no honour. Just look at her letter - para 3 - and question if she is showing any honour whilst writing a letter claiming honour.

She. Was. Sacked.
    Hunted down
  • Options
    @JGForsyth
    Suella Braverman’s resignation is really about the OBR assumption on immigration, and how much looser government policy is going to be

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,539
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Still, no need to worry

Yes. That’s my thinking

Penarth. The one with palm trees. Penrith is the one with sheep.
    Rush hour in Penrith town centre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08KZugZx5o8

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sacked for leaking confidential information on an unsecured electronic device?

Suella's next job could be in cyber...

or President of the United States
  • Options
    If today wasn't news-rich enough, Liz Truss is about to lose her net zero tsar, Chris Skidmore. https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1582764535567376387
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Removed - Scott beat me to it!
  • Options

She's not lasting until Halloween.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

May be of interest - from Full Fact:

When a backbench MP says something wrong in the House of Commons they can’t correct it.

It sounds astonishing, but it’s true: most MPs, including the Leader of the Opposition, are stopped from doing what we tell any six year old to do - own up to their mistakes.

A broken corrections system means the official record of debates in the House of Commons is littered with false or misleading information. Trust in politics is being corroded from inside Parliament.

Tens of thousands of people joined Full Fact’s campaign to do something about it. Earlier this year we heard there would be an inquiry into Parliament’s corrections system.

Today I was invited to give evidence to that inquiry, and a few hours ago I shared our concerns directly with the Procedure Committee, a group of MPs who can recommend changes to how the official record can be corrected.

This wouldn’t have happened without the 34,000 people who have joined our campaign. Will you add your name?

https://actions.fullfact.org/petitions/mps-owe-us-truth/

Is that true? Surely any MP can correct the record on a point of order?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,176
    edited October 2022
    Fucking good place to go if we go

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

If today wasn't news-rich enough, Liz Truss is about to lose her net zero tsar, Chris Skidmore. https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1582764535567376387

the net zero PM about sums her up
  • Options

Leon said:

Goodbye Denver

Goodbye….

Where's the mushroom cloud?
    Its got a The Day After vibe that photo
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Crouch and Skidmore both publicly announcing they'll be voting against the government tonight. I think she could go this evening.
  • Options

Braverman is so far beyond Barking she needs her own District Line extension.

In the cabinet league rankings she is no longer an up minister.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

That is the 2nd time now you have accused me of saying 'poor' when I actually said 'poorer' The words have very different meanings. Try reading what I say.

You want people POORER (not the poor) than your parents to fund their care through their taxes so you can inherit their wealth.
    No I don't, the biggest increase in NI was for those earning over £100k who are certainly not poorer than my parents, anyone earning average income of £35k or less had no NI rise.

You by contrast want average home owners with properties of £200k to £400k to lose most of their property value in care costs by scrapping the £86k care cap

You want people who pay tax and NI say who earn, £20,000, or £30,000 or £50,000 and have mortgages on a small house to contribute to your parents care costs so that you can inherit their wealth.

Also I don't want people to lose their properties at all. I have never said that.
    No I don't. As I said Sunak did NOT increase NI on anyone earning under £35k a year, only on higher earners, especially earning over £100k.

You however want to force average home owners owning homes worth just £200 to £300k to lose most of their property value by selling it to pay for care costs. You want to take peoples' properties by scrapping the £86k cap!!!
    Inheritance for their children and grandchildren, support for and building a nest egg for family a core Tory value
    It is also a very human value. Did not even the blessed Tony Benn, as left as any cabinet minister has ever been, use some kind of trust scheme to ensure inheritance for his family?
  • Options
    Well there isn't going to be a coronation now. The right will definitely challenge.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What on a bus? I can't think of anything more ghastly
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And Tracey Crouch too
  • Options

Are we totally sure she can make it to the start of Mike's holiday?

After all, that's basically required by the constitution.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well there isn't going to be a coronation now. The right will definitely challenge.

Old Lady will shut them out
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,735

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It is also a very human value. Did not even the blessed Tony Benn, as left as any cabinet minister has ever been, use some kind of trust scheme to ensure inheritance for his family?
    Never thought I'd find you admitting that Tories aren't human beings.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There's not going to be a leadership change now, lay Truss to be out any time soon.

With Hunt and Schapps in charge of policy why oust Truss and risk the members electing Braverman? Just keep Truss reading their script like a hostage in a video.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Andy_JS said:

unless they change the nomination rules to ensure the right don't have any candidates.

In reality the best thing for the Tory party now would be for 100+ MPs to abstain tonight and put everyone out of their current misery.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Indeed.. what a shit show.
  • Options
    Come on Mordaunt, Zahawi, anybody else - just resign from Cabinet and bring this Trussterfuck to an inglorious end.
  • Options
    The arm of the tofu-eating wokerati is long and its vengeance is total

https://twitter.com/Docstockk/status/1582759403576778752
  • Options

Except Diwali is 24th Oct this year.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

simple to fix we just protect the last 250k of assets instead of the 86k postulated....average home owner of 300k house pays 50k to there care....million pound homeowner pays up to 750k. See not difficult. Also once again you also miss out the point...the social care levy may have only hit those earning over 37.5k but it was going nowhere near covering even the bulk of social care costs the bulk of which would be out of general taxation still and thus your windfall being subsidised by tax payers amongst the poorest people still.

I for one will giggle insanely if your expected inheritance gets left to a cats home instead of you
    Except the Rightmove average UK houseprice is now £371k so even all but your last £250k for care costs still significantly hits the average homeowners and their heirs. Whereas the £86k care costs cap protects most of the average homeowners estate.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/news/house-price-index/

Council tax of course also covers care costs for councils as well as NI nationally but again council tax is paid most by most expensive properties as NI rise focused on highest earners

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

And how is that lost if people have to pay for their own care?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.. what a shit show.
    Unless 1922 change the rules.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited October 2022
    Fracking as popular as the Tories then (unoriginal observation).

If it is viable I am supportive of it, even locally to me.

As for other political news, is this what the mid to mid-late 90s felt like? Endless sleaze or incompetence in government day in day out?
  • Options

Come on Mordaunt, Zahawi, anybody else - just resign from Cabinet and bring this Trussterfuck to an inglorious end.

Rees Mogg for the killing blow
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    This is the greatest bait and switch on the right of the party ever.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Go right now. The rest of us will just be praying you can't get a signal there.
  • Options
    This could seriously lead to the breakup of the Tory party.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

unless they change the nomination rules to ensure the right don't have any candidates.

In reality the best thing for the Tory party now would be for 100+ MPs to abstain tonight and put everyone out of their current misery.
    That is the paradox: rebel tonight and oust LizT, or rebel tonight, lose the whip and lose your letters to Brady and your vote in a party vonc?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think that's the plan. Jeremy Hunt wants to split the "not Jeremy Hunt" vote so no other candidate reaches the (doubtless inflated) nomination threshold, because that's his only chance of becoming PM - he'd lose with the membership against basically anybody.
  • Options

Good riddance to the odious Cruella – probably the worst appointment of all time in the great offices of state.

I find it hard to believe that, if only because she was there so briefly we cannot say how bad she would definitely have been, even if her...relaxed approach to the law as Attorney-General was not encouraging.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    As the former Energy Minister who signed Net Zero into law, for the sake of our environment and climate, I cannot personally vote tonight to support fracking and undermine the pledges I made at the 2019 General Election.

I am prepared to face the consequences of my decision.

https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1582764535567376387

Got a 10,000 majority, so not necessarily among the walking dead....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The author of an interminable book on the death of Amy Robsart.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    @PaulGoodmanCH
    Understand that the background to the @SuellaBraverman resignation was the mother of all rows about migration. Told she was under pressure from Number Ten to announce liberalising migration plan which would make it easier for OBR to say Gvt would hit growth target.

https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1582767147100811264
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Dom opines:

given Gvt docs, incl OFF-SEN, are routinely circulated by top no10 & CABOFF officials by gmail and whatsapp DAILY, the idea that sending a draft WMS via gmail = sacking/resignation offence is laughable.

clearly fired by PM / Hunt

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1582764013456613376

For once I am kind of in agreement with Big Dom. Even if it is the sort of serious data breach that should get you sacked, I don't doubt for an instant it goes on.

Her own explanation is a big signal that it was about policy.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2022
    How much more of this must the country put up with before we have a General Election?

What an utter shambles. Never seen anything like it in my life.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Hope you backed your hunch.
    No I'm not betting at the moment. Sod's Law.

The odds on an election this year must have come down a bit.
  • Options
    Braverman has a nerve - breaks the rules (not a 'technical infringement' as it isn't VAR) and then blames Truss. If she felt this honestly, she should have resigned before now
  • Options
    Heathener said:

How much more of this must the country put up with before we have a General Election?

What an utter shambles. Never seen anything like it in my life.

I genuinely don't think a GE when there is such a shambles is a good idea. I think the argument for an early one is pretty strong at this point, but they need to at least stabilise to the point the government of the country is not lurching from crisis to crisis every 5 minutes first.
This discussion has been closed.