Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Campbell got this right – Hunt’s now PM in all but name – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

stodge said:

Hunt's comments about tax rises and spending cuts at least have the smack of cold hard reality about them.

Which taxes will rise and where the spending cuts will fall are of course going to be the real issues between now and the end of the month.

Given it seems impossible politically to cut defence or NHS spending, it would seem local Government will again take the hit but as to raising taxes, not quite sure what Hunt has in mind or where. Seems politically impossible to for example raise VAT or fuel duty - will we see the 1p tax cut in the Kwarteng Budget reversed to put the final nail in the coffin of Trussonomics?

Council tax and its adult social care precept look likely.

Aside from the genuine advantage of shifting more of the tax burden onto property it would have the political advantage of shifting much of the backlash onto local councils.
    A lot of councils are going to go bust in the next few years.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Andrew Neil:

The chaos Truss has caused in the financial markets has been well-reported, the chaos inside Truss's Downing Street not so much. As one of her aides told a colleague of mine: 'It looks bad but it's much worse than it looks.'

The Alice-In-Wonderland fantasy world to which Truss has reduced British politics is illustrated by her letter to Kwarteng after his sacking.

Ridiculously, she lauds his 39 days as Chancellor and gives not a single reason why he was fired. Amazingly, she writes that she 'deeply regrets the decision you have taken today', implying that Kwarteng somehow managed to sack himself.
  • Options

stodge said:

Hunt's comments about tax rises and spending cuts at least have the smack of cold hard reality about them.

Which taxes will rise and where the spending cuts will fall are of course going to be the real issues between now and the end of the month.

Given it seems impossible politically to cut defence or NHS spending, it would seem local Government will again take the hit but as to raising taxes, not quite sure what Hunt has in mind or where. Seems politically impossible to for example raise VAT or fuel duty - will we see the 1p tax cut in the Kwarteng Budget reversed to put the final nail in the coffin of Trussonomics?

Council tax and its adult social care precept look likely.

Aside from the genuine advantage of shifting more of the tax burden onto property it would have the political advantage of shifting much of the backlash onto local councils.
    More upper bands are urgently needed council tax
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    The missing information at the moment is the opinions of Conservative members. Without this it is difficult to work out what might happen if (or when) Truss finally gets turfed out. The right could only realistically oppose the coronation or a sensible candidate if they have support in the membership, either to put up an opponent, or to put pressure on existing MPs. There is polling of Conservative voters but not members, as far as I am aware.

I had a look through the comments on conhome and couldn't get any insights from there. A lot of the usual GB News style grumbling about the woke etc but not much obvious support for Truss.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

I have been taking a nap. Is Ms Truss still PM?

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/

I love the Sunday Express front page:

Revealed: Secret Plot to Oust PM.

Doesn't sound very secret to me.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It is impossible not to like Michael Palin.
    That would be like defying gravity. It is a Law of the Universe.

He was adorable as Molotov in The Death of Stalin.
    He's a hugely underrated straight actor.
    See also Brazil, GBH.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Hunt was 48 on BF for next leader yesterday lunchtime when I bet on him.

Now 4.8

Has an MP ever come in faster on the betting?

Given Hunt was eliminated in the first MPs round of voting in the leadership contest and polled worse than Sunak with members let alone Truss or Badenoch, I fail to see how he gets it. Chancellor is probably the highest post he is going to have
    That he was out so early ironically makes him more likely a compromise candidate for me, in seeking to secure a coronation. He didn't get involved in the argy bargy of the debates.

Contrarily, whilst people might want to avoid the members voting this time, picking the guy they most definitely rejected, would make crowning Sunak quite the provocation to them.
    If there is a Tory leader Farage would be licking his lips over, it is Hunt.

Farage would return to lead RefUK in 5 minutes if Hunt took over.
    Farage should just retire already. He's got his most important policy through, does he really want to spend his time setting up and running fractious parties to act as a pressure group on the Tories, rather than just be a pundit?
    Farage would definitely run on a low tax, hard Brexit, tough on immigration and channel crossings and anti Woke agenda against Starmer and Hunt who he would portray as near identical centrist, corporatist Remainers
    In which case he would lose badly.
    Would he? About a quarter to a third of the electorate at least would vote for just such a populist right agenda.

He might not win but he could come second
    In FPTP, 25-30% doesn't get you far, unless it is pretty lumpy.

What he could do is kick the Conservative party into the grave they have dug for themselves.
    It could get him 50-100 seats, 100-200 if he got to 30%. That would then be curtains for the Tories under Hunt yes. Assuming Starmer Labour got 40%+ then the Hunt led Tories would be down to about 10-15%, they would be lucky to get more than a handful of seats at most
    You are living in a fantasy world and seem to want the conservative party to be extinguished
    I don't but I just recognise there is a Canada 1993 style extinction event scenario if Hunt leads the party, with the Tories squeezed to their left by Labour and the LDs and to their right by Farage
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    There is something weird going on, which I can only assume is an attempt to undermine Jeremy Hunt on day one as chancellor. Downing St seems to be suggesting that Sajid Javid was their first choice of chancellor but his conditions were too tough.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1581371868313169920
  • Options

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    There is something weird going on, which I can only assume is an attempt to undermine Jeremy Hunt on day one as chancellor. Downing St seems to be suggesting that Sajid Javid was their first choice of chancellor but his conditions were too tough.

Truss's resignation?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It is impossible not to like Michael Palin.
    That would be like defying gravity. It is a Law of the Universe.

He was adorable as Molotov in The Death of Stalin.
    He's a hugely underrated straight actor.
    See also Brazil, GBH.
    GBH was brilliant.

Must be 30 years ago now though?? God I feel old.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Farage isn’t going to win anything like 30% of the vote in a general election, even up against a candidate like Hunt. His best bet would be as a spoiler party making the difference in a few constituencies.

The 2019 Spring polls had Farage's party on 20 - 25% in some of them and Hunt would be May 2 just with higher taxes now and spending cuts. Most of the voters who voted for Boris at the last general election are hardly going to be desperate to vote for the man who lost the leadership contest to Boris and would have been imposed on the Tories by coronation after Boris was removed.

I expect Labour would win but there is certainly a scenario where Farage could take second place from Hunt
    HYUFD said:

Farage isn’t going to win anything like 30% of the vote in a general election, even up against a candidate like Hunt. His best bet would be as a spoiler party making the difference in a few constituencies.

The 2019 Spring polls had Farage's party on 20 - 25% in some of them and Hunt would be May 2 just with higher taxes now and spending cuts. Most of the voters who voted for Boris at the last general election are hardly going to be desperate to vote for the man who lost the leadership contest to Boris and would have been imposed on the Tories by coronation after Boris was removed.

The 2019 Spring polls were at the peak of Brexit paralysis and the Brexit party success at the EU elections. No way that those poll ratings would have been translated into such support at any General Election . The Peterborough by election held just a few days after the Brexit party success highlighted that very well. It was pretty universally expected that Labour would lose that seat to the Brexit party - given the added burden it then carried from the Fiona Onasanya scandal - yet it did not happen. Brexit party support proved to be very shallow even at a time when the wider electorate was focussed on the issue. It was a protest vote - as was the 2015 UKIP vote to a great extent.
    The Brexit issue has ceased to be salient, and I suspect that any attempted Farage comeback would be doomed to fail with his vote share little more than UKIP managed back in 2010.
    Complacency and even in the Peterborough by election (which let us not forget took place AFTER May had resigned) the Brexit Party got 29% of the vote to just 21% for the Tories
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Given Hunt was eliminated in the first MPs round of voting in the leadership contest and polled worse than Sunak with members let alone Truss or Badenoch, I fail to see how he gets it. Chancellor is probably the highest post he is going to have
    That he was out so early ironically makes him more likely a compromise candidate for me, in seeking to secure a coronation. He didn't get involved in the argy bargy of the debates.

Contrarily, whilst people might want to avoid the members voting this time, picking the guy they most definitely rejected, would make crowning Sunak quite the provocation to them.

Farage should just retire already. He's got his most important policy through, does he really want to spend his time setting up and running fractious parties to act as a pressure group on the Tories, rather than just be a pundit?
    Farage would definitely run on a low tax, hard Brexit, tough on immigration and channel crossings and anti Woke agenda against Starmer and Hunt who he would portray as near identical centrist, corporatist Remainers
    Would he? About a quarter to a third of the electorate at least would vote for just such a populist right agenda.

What he could do is kick the Conservative party into the grave they have dug for themselves.
    It could get him 50-100 seats, 100-200 if he got to 30%. That would then be curtains for the Tories under Hunt yes. Assuming Starmer Labour got 40%+ then the Hunt led Tories would be down to about 10-15%, they would be lucky to get more than a handful of seats at most
    You are living in a fantasy world and seem to want the conservative party to be extinguished
    I don't but I just recognise there is a Canada 1993 style extinction event scenario if Hunt leads the party, with the Tories squeezed to their left by Labour and the LDs and to their right by Farage
    Farage is a busted flush
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

There's something peculiar happens around the 25% mark. The number of seats gained with 30% absolutely dwarfs the number with 20%.
    Hence the quite stunningly low seat projections for the Tories on low twenties polling recently.
    Whereas Labour in 1983 and the Tories in 1997 had 200 and 160 odd whilst hovering around 30%.
    Yes, at their highest UKIP were tantalisingly close to breaking through in a number of areas, but didn't quite get there. Whereas the Green strategy has always been very different, focusing on a few areas only rather than a mass breakthrough.
    The Alliance came even closer in 1983. Again. No cigar.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Arrogance and complacency in equal measure
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    The problem with any Tory MP plot to oust Truss is who would replace her and how?

There is no widely agreed candidate that the parliamentary party has decided it overwhelmingly wants to unite around, as far as we know. Until there is, surely they will choose to watch, wait and see? And of course plot.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

Robert Peston
    @Peston

Honestly, this lot. They had their first sober day in about a year after Hunt’s tour of the radio studios, and they’re already intent on the next civil war.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile...

Your eyes do not deceive you - this really is the Daily Telegraph https://twitter.com/PascalLTH/status/1581304429193572352/photo/1

From @JeremyWarnerUK in @Telegraph - Brexit has been even worse than predicted - hit the economy even more severely than so-called Project Fear. https://twitter.com/jeremywarneruk/status/1581330560571801602

He was writing in the Telegraph in support of Remain since before the referendum, so I don't know why anyone should be surprised by this.
    Regardless of what you think, the Telegraph has published it and they are not exactly Remain-friendly.

Truth hurts...
  • Options
    That is just unacceptable
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    There was a young man called Farage
    Who one day got locked in his garage
    He campaigned so hard
    But let down his guard
    And fell to an electoral barrage
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andrew Neil:

The chaos Truss has caused in the financial markets has been well-reported, the chaos inside Truss's Downing Street not so much. As one of her aides told a colleague of mine: 'It looks bad but it's much worse than it looks.'

The Alice-In-Wonderland fantasy world to which Truss has reduced British politics is illustrated by her letter to Kwarteng after his sacking.

Ridiculously, she lauds his 39 days as Chancellor and gives not a single reason why he was fired. Amazingly, she writes that she 'deeply regrets the decision you have taken today', implying that Kwarteng somehow managed to sack himself.

Well, he did sack himself. By agreeing to saddle himself tightly to someone who was obviously going to be the worst PM since Lord North.

It was always a suicide mission.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

If the Tory party was extinguished , would they be missed?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I expect Labour would win but there is certainly a scenario where Farage could take second place from Hunt
    I think you over-estimate the potential of Farage and the populist right. The 2019 polls you refer to were before Brexit 'got done' - it's done now. You referred earlier to something like 'Farage taking on the corporatist remainer elite represented by Starmer and Hunt' - strange language for you. His supporters are very noisy but not so numerous - no more than 10% of the electorate, I reckon, believe in these sort of conspiracist global elite memes. Look how little progress Tice has made.

In short, the numbers you talk about would only be achievable by a Farage-led party if there was a serious risk of Brexit being over-turned. But that isn't going to happen. Brexit is done, at least for the foreseeable future. And therefore Farage is a busted flush.
    Hunt as leader, the man who lost the leadership to Boris and was a key part of the coup to get rid of Boris as PM despite Boris' landslide election win, would be pushing up taxes and cutting spending, likely doing little about immigration and facing a cost of living crisis. It would be ideal turf for Farage to appeal to disillusioned 2019 Boris voters
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

@HYUFD concept absolutely not
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I don't know if Truss will survive the week, but her CoS should be out on Monday

🔺 EXCLUSIVE: The Downing Street chief of staff lobbied ministers including Liz Truss for a politician he falsely claimed was Libya’s “legitimate prime minister” as part of a paid campaign to change UK foreign policy
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mark-fullbrookmark-fullbrook-liz-truss-chief-of-staff-lobbying-libya-9r657ccbt?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1665854109-1

By CoS, you mean the guy who was recently questioned by the FBI re: official bribery & illegal campaign contribution scandal in Puerto Rico? Whose salary was (until very recently) being paid by his own company, allegedly NOT for tax purposes, but also allegedly in return for said firm to work for CUP in next GE?

Hiring this hyper-hack was one of the first concrete signs (besides her dress sense) of new PM's serious lack of judgement.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile...

Your eyes do not deceive you - this really is the Daily Telegraph https://twitter.com/PascalLTH/status/1581304429193572352/photo/1

From @JeremyWarnerUK in @Telegraph - Brexit has been even worse than predicted - hit the economy even more severely than so-called Project Fear. https://twitter.com/jeremywarneruk/status/1581330560571801602

He was writing in the Telegraph in support of Remain since before the referendum, so I don't know why anyone should be surprised by this.
    Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh

Proof that the Telegraph has a variety of voices.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Just plain reality
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

You might with Farage leading 100 to 200 populist right RefUK MPs as Leader of the Opposition.

Based on the Canada scenario that would in time takeover the rump of the Tories to form a new conservative party
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The 2019 Spring polls were at the peak of Brexit paralysis and the Brexit party success at the EU elections. No way that those poll ratings would have been translated into such support at any General Election . The Peterborough by election held just a few days after the Brexit party success highlighted that very well. It was pretty universally expected that Labour would lose that seat to the Brexit party - given the added burden it then carried from the Fiona Onasanya scandal - yet it did not happen. Brexit party support proved to be very shallow even at a time when the wider electorate was focussed on the issue. It was a protest vote - as was the 2015 UKIP vote to a great extent.
    The Brexit issue has ceased to be salient, and I suspect that any attempted Farage comeback would be doomed to fail with his vote share little more than UKIP managed back in 2010.
    Complacency and even in the Peterborough by election (which let us not forget took place AFTER May had resigned) the Brexit Party got 29% of the vote to just 21% for the Tories
    Theresa May was still PM at the beginning of June 2019. Her successor had not been chosen.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

The problem with any Tory MP plot to oust Truss is who would replace her and how?

There is no widely agreed candidate that the parliamentary party has decided it overwhelmingly wants to unite around, as far as we know. Until there is, surely they will choose to watch, wait and see? And of course plot.

They can't unite around one candidate. Because they are riven by factions which believe mutually incompatible things.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Robert Peston
    @Peston

Honestly, this lot. They had their first sober day in about a year after Hunt’s tour of the radio studios, and they’re already intent on the next civil war.
    I know. Great, isn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    No, he just does not suffer from your paranoid delusions and fears.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Theresa May was still PM at the beginning of June 2019. Her successor had not been chosen.
    Theresa May resigned on 24 May 2019 and Boris was already her likely successor
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    What do you care? Arrogantly telling Tories to make Hunt leader while you would still never vote Tory anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so - she announced her intention to resign but remained PM until late July 2019.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not so - she announced her intention to resign but remained PM until late July 2019.
    Yes so, she had already as you say announced she would resign BEFORE the by election
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The irony of Britain's most libertarian libertarian being prisoner of the markets and the BoE is enough to have me choking on my popcorn.

LOL.

I guess Atlas did not shrug after all, eh, Liz?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes so, she had already as you say announced she would resign BEFORE the by election

But her likely successor at that stage was not entirely clear.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    What do you care? Arrogantly telling Tories to make Hunt leader while you would still never vote Tory anyway
    Is it really arrogant to want a credible party rather than the sh*t shower of incompetents and fools that currently comprise what used to be the Conservative Party?

If anyone around here is arrogant, it is you with your assertions that everything is peachy and delightful and the rest of us are unhinged.

Reality will be giving you a firm kick up the ar*e one day soon and you can argue with her all you like - she is not known for listening.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Robert Peston
    @Peston

It gets worse if you believe the quote below this post.
    I had heard via sources that Truss team had sounded out Javid. As a former CX who’d backed Truss, he’d have been an obvious choice for CX. When you need to win the party, this sort of briefing so damaging. Another own goal via @cazjwheeler & @HarryYorke1
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1581350588540805120
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Many of us want someone who can restore some integrity and competence to the party following toxic Johnson and the most hapless, dreadful PM in my lifetime and also want to see the likes of yourself, ERG and Farage get consigned to history just like the Corbynites
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Is it really arrogant to want a credible party rather than the sh*t shower of incompetents and fools that currently comprise what used to be the Conservative Party?

If anyone around here is arrogant, it is you with your assertions that everything is peachy and delightful and the rest of us are unhinged.

Reality will be giving you a firm kick up the ar*e one day soon and you can argue with her all you like - she is not known for listening.
    When have I said everything is easy and delightful, globally we are in a period of high inflation and cost of living because of the Ukraine war and rising interest rates regardless of the mini budget, the most controversial elements of which have been reversed.

As you would never vote Tory anyway the last thing it needs is to listen to who you want as leader
  • Options

He is a very strange man. This is not the first time he has done something along these lines. Nonetheless he is still an improvement on Donald "I just grab them by the pussy Trump.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Many of us want someone who can restore some integrity and competence to the party following toxic Johnson and the most hapless, dreadful PM in my lifetime and also want to see the likes of yourself, ERG and Farage get consigned to history just like the Corbynites
    The appetite amongst the electorate for 2 dull, corporatist, tax rising Remainers as leader of the main 2 parties is limited, hence Farage would return
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    Fighting talk from JK Rowling:

Rarely in politics is it easy to draw a direct line from a single policy decision to the harm it’s done, but in this case, it will be simple. If any woman or girl suffers voyeurism, sexual harassment, assault or rape in consequence of the Scottish government’s lax new rules, the blame will rest squarely with those at Holyrood who ignored safeguarding experts and women’s campaigners.

And nobody should be held to higher account than the first minister, the “real feminist” who’s riding roughshod over the rights of women and girls.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jk-rowling-nicola-sturgeon-is-deaf-to-women-s-concerns-over-gender-id-tn03x6gjv
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

When have I said everything is easy and delightful, globally we are in a period of high inflation and cost of living because of the Ukraine war and rising interest rates regardless of the mini budget, the most controversial elements of which have been reversed.

As you would never vote Tory anyway the last thing it needs is to listen to who you want as leader
    Which is why you and your party will lose.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

Why is why you and your party will lose.
    Did you vote Tory in 2019 when the Tories won their biggest majority since 1987? No.

So no it isn't
  • Options

Ever since Truss announced the existence of the hitherto unknown Anti-Growth Coalition, its membership has been growing exponentially, and it's now heading for a landslide victory.

She's just not very good at politics, is she?

She could not have known the man she appointed as her Chancellor was a member
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Plus even non-Tories and anti-Unionists, within UK anyway, have direct stake in the Leader of the Conservative and Union Party, given they are also the Prime Minister.

Similar to how resident non-electors have clear interest in British elections, today as back in the day before universal suffrage and the Reform Acts.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022

He is a very strange man. This is not the first time he has done something along these lines. Nonetheless he is still an improvement on Donald "I just grab them by the pussy Trump.
    Very odd. I don’t think “better than trump” is really the correct standard by which to judge someone, though.

Maybe he’s just really old? AIUI, old people often lose their inhibitions. Feels a bit unfair to judge him for it. But then again, he really shouldn’t be president if that’s the case.
  • Options

Most anyone is an improvement on the dreadful Trump
  • Options
    ping said:

Very odd. I don’t think “better than trump” is really the correct standard by which to judge someone, though.
    It's not ideal, but it's what we have.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    The appetite amongst the electorate for 2 dull, corporatist, tax rising Remainers as leader of the main 2 parties is limited, hence Farage would return
    Offering what ?

The only debate is going to be who take from and who to give to.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

Did you vote Tory in 2019 when the Tories won their biggest majority since 1987? No.

So no it isn't
    I did and you are quite the worst person to persuade anyone to vote conservative with your little Englander, Farage loving attitudes
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So spending cuts and even the popular cut in the basic income tax rate postponed
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One might think they are overegging how much Hunt has taken control, thus making ditching Truss less urgent.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Fox hunting is a manifestation of extreme arrogance that perhaps comes with years of being the feudal lords and ladies of the manor as though they think they have a right to be cruel and not care because nobody will stop them . Go back a couple of hundred years and the same thing applied to the aristocracy owning slaves . I have no great wish for the state to ever intervene in private affairs but do think power (whether state or feudal ) brings extreme arrogance over time and leads to things like this.Its actually no different to communism where extreme power in the hands of a few or one person leads to Stalin purges and North Korea.Its why power shoudl be spread far and wide and look to be diluted constantly

I hadn't previously recognised what an utter jerk you are, thanks for clarifying. I have got lots of money, mainly thanks to some "cotton merchant" hur hur ancestors. I feel terrible about it. Genuinely. But this has zero to do with foxhunting. Here's a clue: in the days of foxhunting, I used to hunt with my cleaner and with someone who was on the tills in Tescos. When I shoot grouse and pheasant, I do not find people like that next to me.
    Who does your loading, then?
    Although I should be against shooting (Scottish Nationalist, centre left) I thoroughly enjoyed the grouse I had for lunch yesterday. The Elk’s Head, Whitfield, Northumberland, if the mods don’t mind the recommendation.
    If we weren't meant to eat animals they would not be made of meat
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Offering what ?

+1 Brexit is done. The only questions left in the size of the pie and who gets what share of it…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So spending cuts and even the popular cut in the basic income tax rate postponed
    What's the alternative? We don't have the money to pay for things.

Cutting income tax entirely would also have been popular, but unviable. The cut proposed was popular, but is it the right move now?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nice dark lord pose from Hunt in that photo choice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Them's the breaks.
  • Options
    Gone down well with the IEA crowd...

Julian Jessop
    @julianHjessop
    ·
    30m
    So, we're heading back to the old 'doom loop' of higher taxes, spending cuts, and sluggish growth...

...and based on unchallenged OBR forecasts, too 🙄
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

So no it isn't
    2019 was the Brexit election when that section of the electorate that still believed the lies told by Leavers lent the Conservative their vote.

Now Brexit has been exposed for the steaming great pile of poop that it is. Even the Daily Telegraph is admitting it now.

Your party has betrayed the country, betrayed savers, betrayed home owners, betrayed the young,... actually it is probably quicker to list who it kept its promises to: The ERG and .... errr....that's it.

You all deserve to be barred from public office for what you all did.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Offering what ?

And both Starmer and Hunt are proposing tax rises, Farage would offer tax cuts.

Farage would propose to end the channel crossings and slash immigration and take on the Woke Agenda too.

• Options
    Donald Tusk, when he was president of the European Council, once gave Johnson this advice: "Buy a cake. Eat it. And then look at your plate and see if anything is left."
    https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1581367973662449664
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Bloody hell Baumgardner nicks it. Expect grumblings.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Has anyone noticed the story below the line? More corruption it seems!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Offering what ?

Farage would propose to end the channel crossings and slash immigration and take on the Woke Agenda too
    He can propose to do that all he wants but he has to have a plausible plan to do it..

And the issue is that no plausible plan exists (well it does but it involves massive fines for using illegal workers and incentives for others to report them)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage would propose to end the channel crossings and slash immigration and take on the Woke Agenda too

He can propose the moon on a stick. He can't deliver it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Responsibile actions and needed to assure the markets and bear down on mortgage rates at least for now, until the Fed starts raising them again

As I said earlier Hunt is a grown up and is in the strongest position of any politician at present
  • Options
    Bastille ?

The infamous Evin prison in Tehran is on fire. Gunfire heard. This is big.
    https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1581349672752656386
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    The Chinese Foreign Ministry calls on its citizens in Ukraine to leave the country immediately

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1581394505999056896
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

So no it isn't
    2019 was the Brexit election when that section of the electorate that still believed the lies told by Leavers lent the Conservative their vote.

Now Brexit has been exposed for the steaming great pile of poop that it is. Even the Daily Telegraph is admitting it now.

Your party has betrayed the country, betrayed savers, betrayed home owners, betrayed the young,... actually it is probably quicker to list who it kept its promises to: The ERG and .... errr....that's it.

Comfortably over 40% still back Brexit even now (not much different to most of the final wrong EU referendum polls) which is significantly higher than the Tories are polling now. Voters who voted for Brexit got the end to free movement and regained sovereignty they voted for
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Leon said:

Dude

Pikes Peak or Bust!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak

The band of Ute people who called the Pikes Peak region their home were the Tabeguache, whose name means the "People of Sun Mountain".[4] Tava or "sun", is the Ute word that was given by these first people to the mountain that we now call Pikes Peak. It is thought that the Ute people first arrived in Colorado about 500 A.D.,[citation needed] however their oral history states that they were created on Tava. In the 1800s, when the Arapaho people arrived in Colorado, they knew the mountain as Heey-otoyoo' meaning "Long Mountain".[5]

Throughout its history, European peoples have called the mountain El Capitán, Grand Peak, Great Peak, James Peak, Long Mountain, and Pike's Peak.[3]

Early Spanish explorers named the mountain "El Capitán," meaning "The Leader". American explorer Zebulon Pike named the mountain "Highest Peak" in 1806, and the mountain was later commonly known as "Pike's Highest Peak." American explorer Stephen Harriman Long named the mountain "James Peak" in honor of Edwin James who climbed to the summit during Long's Expedition of 1820. The mountain was later renamed "Pike's Peak" in honor of Pike. The name was simplified to "Pikes Peak" by the United States Board on Geographic Names in 1890.

SSI - Current common name for this mountain, testifies to the American love of alliteration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_Cog_Railway

Note that you can also take a cog railway to the top of Mount Washington, New Hampshire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_Cog_Railway
    If you take that latter railway, beware of mooning hikers!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Nigelb said:

Robert Peston
    @Peston

It gets worse if you believe the quote below this post.
    I had heard via sources that Truss team had sounded out Javid. As a former CX who’d backed Truss, he’d have been an obvious choice for CX. When you need to win the party, this sort of briefing so damaging. Another own goal via @cazjwheeler & @HarryYorke1
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1581350588540805120
    We may yet discover in Truss's memoirs that if Hunt hadn't taken the job, she may have to have resigned.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    darkage said:

The missing information at the moment is the opinions of Conservative members. Without this it is difficult to work out what might happen if (or when) Truss finally gets turfed out. The right could only realistically oppose the coronation or a sensible candidate if they have support in the membership, either to put up an opponent, or to put pressure on existing MPs. There is polling of Conservative voters but not members, as far as I am aware.

I had a look through the comments on conhome and couldn't get any insights from there. A lot of the usual GB News style grumbling about the woke etc but not much obvious support for Truss.

The Tories are paralysed until they figure out a way of bypassing the loony membership. Truss is perfectly safe till they figure that out. My guess is she will be with us for some time.
  • Options
    Or perhaps the opposite.

The Islamic Republic is apparently,once again, about to massacre political prisoners like they did in 1988.
    We ask the international community to strongly condemn and caution the regime against such crimes against humanity.
    Please be our voice!

https://twitter.com/Mertsi_Merimies/status/1581363356124221440
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

Donald Tusk, when he was president of the European Council, once gave Johnson this advice: "Buy a cake. Eat it. And then look at your plate and see if anything is left."

To which Boris would have replied: "Crumbs! Crikey!".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile...

The most significant story of the day. If the Tory house rag agrees with it's deputy financial editor then Brexit as we know it is in serious trouble. As he says it's calamitous for the UK and it's reputation. Time to get us back in. The country is teetering. Just the climate to get this bandwagon rolling and once it starts it will roll fast

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Bloody gloomsters.
  • Options

The picture is NOT Ben Wallace...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    All look the same to me...

https://twitter.com/sgfmann/status/1581391922400464897

Some unkind posters on Twitter think that a picture editor has fouled up. Can't tell Griffith from Wallace.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile...

The most significant story of the day. If the Tory house rag agrees with it's deputy financial editor then Brexit as we know it is in serious trouble. As he says it's calamitous for the UK and it's reputation. Time to get us back in. The country is teetering. Just the climate to get this bandwagon rolling and once it starts it will roll fast

The country is teetering because of a disastrous neoliberal budget on top of years of mass immigration. We need limited migration plus proper state investment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Responsibile actions and needed to assure the markets and bear down on mortgage rates at least for now, until the Fed starts raising them again

As I said earlier Hunt is a grown up and is in the strongest position of any politician at present
    No one's bearing down on mortgage rates any time soon.
    Despite repeated media hints.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Most people, unlike us, aren't political. They just want someone sane who isn't going to wreck stuff. Hunt fits that bill. Truss doesn't. Boris doesn't. Yes Boris won in 2019. You think that makes him a winner forever. It doesn't. He won because of Brexit and Corbyn and since has absolutely destroyed his reputation.
    Boris and indeed Truss also won on a platform of low taxes while not cutting public services, something Chancellor Hunt has now completely reversed. Now that might be necessary because of the financial situation post Covid and post Ukraine but it is not what voters voted Conservative for in 2019
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile...

Well if Hunt and Truss now push to rejoin the EU too then that really would be curtains for them and Farage really would overtake them as the leader of the main party of the right
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Offering what ?

Farage would propose to end the channel crossings and slash immigration and take on the Woke Agenda too.

He obviously hasn't learnt from the Truss debacle then, and anyway he is as I said, a busted flush
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

So no it isn't

Comfortably over 40% still back Brexit even now (not much different to most of the final wrong EU referendum polls) which is significantly higher than the Tories are polling now. Voters who voted for Brexit got the end to free movement and regained sovereignty they voted for
    No they didn't. But what's the point?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush
    Most people, unlike us, aren't political. They just want someone sane who isn't going to wreck stuff. Hunt fits that bill. Truss doesn't. Boris doesn't. Yes Boris won in 2019. You think that makes him a winner forever. It doesn't. He won because of Brexit and Corbyn and since has absolutely destroyed his reputation.
    Boris and indeed Truss also won on a platform of low taxes while not cutting public services, something Chancellor Hunt has now completely reversed. Now that might be necessary because of the financial situation post Covid and post Ukraine but it is not what voters voted Conservative for in 2019
    Well if it is necessary (and people will still disagree about that), then the voters who voted Conservative in 2019 need to grow up and accept that - unless the idea is people should be lied to about what is necessary. If it is necessary, the government has to tell people it is so, not deny reality.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

The logic of your argument is that Tories are doomed to choose only leaders who are acceptable to Farage. Given the current state of the membership you may well be correct. It is however a recipe for disaster for the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

darkage said:

The Tories are paralysed until they figure out a way of bypassing the loony membership. Truss is perfectly safe till they figure that out. My guess is she will be with us for some time.
    The membership is loony, but there are plenty of the swivel-eyed brigade in Westminster too...
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    Saturday night and what to do.

Wonder if I should start another run through of Fallout: New Vegas.
    The backdrop might be a bit too optimistic though given recent real life events.......
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

Farage is a busted flush

So no it isn't

No they didn't. But what's the point?
    Yes they did. Free movement has been replaced by a points system and we are out of the EU and ECJ jurisdiction
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    Off-topic: question for PB supernerd brains trust: before Simon Case, when was the last time that the cabinet secretary was a member of the Privy Council?

If it's as rare as I suspect it is, why has it just happened?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Now 4.8

You appear to be saying that the Tories can only choose a leader that is approved of by Farage. Given the current state of the membership you may be correct. It is however a recipe for disaster for the Conservative Party.
    Long may they continue electing a Farage approved candidate.
    It's going so swimmingly after all.
This discussion has been closed.