Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Retaining Senate control would be a huge boost for Biden – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Kerch Bridge has reopened for traffic and trains.

Non stop stream of traffic leaving Crimea.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

House of the Dragon is a bit shit

Zero interest in watching it, after Game of Thrones completely trashed their brand with the final series.

The upcoming show that interests me the most is The Peripheral, based on William Gibson's 2014 book of the same name. Released later this month on Amazon Prime. Gibson's work has always translated terribly to the screen in the past, but this looks interesting.

Without spoilers - AI, near future, semi-apocalypse (known as "the jackpot", where most people just die out due to a combination of famine and war) and a Russian kleptocracy in charge of future London (a bit dated in that respect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdkRQzcrrc
    The Neuromancer trilogy ranks among the finest achievements of the human mind evah. Sistine chapel level stuff. After that, he learned how computers and internets actually work and became just another guy.

Fun fact: N, CZ and MLO all written on a manual typewriter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Scott_xP said:

EXCL - Bonk for Britain

Cabinet minister suggests women should get tax cuts for having children to encourage a baby boom and wean Britain off immigration 😍👶

Scheme already exists in Hungary.

https://bit.ly/3ysOiVA

France as well. If you have about 5 kids, pretty much no income tax even if you are a banker…
    Hence France has the highest fertility rate in the western world at 1.83 even if still below the global average fertility rate of 2.4 children per woman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependencies_by_total_fertility_rate
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo Issues New mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo has announced new guidance regarding mRNA vaccines. The Florida Department of Health (Department) conducted an analysis through a self-controlled case series, which is a technique originally developed to evaluate vaccine safety.

This analysis found that there is an 84% increase in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination. With a high level of global immunity to COVID-19, the benefit of vaccination is likely outweighed by this abnormally high risk of cardiac-related death among men in this age group. Non-mRNA vaccines were not found to have these increased risks.

As such, the State Surgeon General recommends against males aged 18 to 39 from receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. Those with preexisting cardiac conditions, such as myocarditis and pericarditis, should take particular caution when making this decision.

“Studying the safety and efficacy of any medications, including vaccines, is an important component of public health,” said Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo. “Far less attention has been paid to safety and the concerns of many individuals have been dismissed – these are important findings that should be communicated to Floridians.”"

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLDOH/bulletins/3312697

I had my seasonal booster jab today. Pfizer
    Really? Are you over 65?
    I "fibbed" on the government website, and said I was looking after someone with immune issues. It's not a total lie, I am seeing a close relative a fair bit, a person who is very frail, but I am probably not classed as a carer

I recommend doing that if you want a jab

Because there are plenty of jabs and you can just walk in. There was zero queue in my local pharmacy today, and I waited about 4 minutes. They can't give the jabs away, and the more people jabbed the better
    It will be 50 and over ultimately. I was called because of previous health issues. My colleague, 56, had his last week. I don’t think it’s limited to over 65s, or at least not everywhere.
    NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

A seasonal booster (autumn booster) can be booked online for anyone who is:

aged 65 or over
    pregnant
    aged 5 and over and at high risk due to a health condition
    aged 5 and over and at high risk because of a weakened immune system
    aged 16 and over and lives with someone who has a weakened immune system
    aged 16 and over and is a carer, either paid or unpaid
    a frontline health and social care worker
    People aged 50 to 64 years old who are not in any of these groups will be able to get a seasonal booster (autumn booster) later in autumn 2022."

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

"Our records show that you’re eligible to receive a further COVID-19 vaccination this autumn. Your protection from previous doses may now be reduced and will continue to decline. A further dose should reduce your risk of becoming severely ill from COVID-19 this winter.

If you’ve already booked an appointment, please ignore this email.

How to get your next COVID-19 vaccination
    You can get vaccinated if your last dose was at least 3 months (91 days) ago. If you have a weakened immune system due to a health condition or medical treatment, please also encourage the people you live with (aged 5 years and over) to get vaccinated this autumn.

To book online:
    Visit https://www.nhs.uk/get-vaccination"

and the link still tells me to piss off. Fuck up in other words.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Alistair said:

Source? Sounds like fake news to me.

The Kerch traffic is heavily regulated is it not? I imagine the Russian authorities will not be allowing any civilians to exit, especially as they are having to use just a single carriageway. Surely, they will prioritise military traffic and essential supplies.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

TimS said:

This next election will be an interesting experiment in alternative history. Because it strikes me it’s like a 1997 election if it had been contested between John Smith and John Redwood.

To a degrees but SKS is no where near as effective as John Smith IMO.
    John Smith was a brilliant politician, but also a seriously heavy drinker. What a loss to Parliament he was, and to the drinks industry.
    Oh really? I never knew that!
    Did you know his daughter is the broadcaster Sarah Smith? Talented family.
    And Ben Wright (BBC News) is son of Tony Wright MP.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,034
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Zero interest in watching it, after Game of Thrones completely trashed their brand with the final series.

The upcoming show that interests me the most is The Peripheral, based on William Gibson's 2014 book of the same name. Released later this month on Amazon Prime. Gibson's work has always translated terribly to the screen in the past, but this looks interesting.

Without spoilers - AI, near future, semi-apocalypse (known as "the jackpot", where most people just die out due to a combination of famine and war) and a Russian kleptocracy in charge of future London (a bit dated in that respect).

It's a mystery tho. The script is so.... dull

They had essentially infinite amounts of money and surely hired the best screenwriters. Yet the characters are flat and the dialogue is all sub-par cheapo fantasy Dungeons and Dragons wank

"The realm will not tolerate the end of these shipping lanes, my liege!"

Everyone knows that Game of Thrones worked because it was funny and outrageous and the dialogue crackled along. This is boring. A bit Woke, I fear

But it's not just mild Wokeness, the CGI isn't very good. The dragons are unconvincing. Odd
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo Issues New mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, State Surgeon General Dr. Joseph A. Ladapo has announced new guidance regarding mRNA vaccines. The Florida Department of Health (Department) conducted an analysis through a self-controlled case series, which is a technique originally developed to evaluate vaccine safety.

This analysis found that there is an 84% increase in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination. With a high level of global immunity to COVID-19, the benefit of vaccination is likely outweighed by this abnormally high risk of cardiac-related death among men in this age group. Non-mRNA vaccines were not found to have these increased risks.

As such, the State Surgeon General recommends against males aged 18 to 39 from receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. Those with preexisting cardiac conditions, such as myocarditis and pericarditis, should take particular caution when making this decision.

“Studying the safety and efficacy of any medications, including vaccines, is an important component of public health,” said Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo. “Far less attention has been paid to safety and the concerns of many individuals have been dismissed – these are important findings that should be communicated to Floridians.”"

Really? Are you over 65?
    I "fibbed" on the government website, and said I was looking after someone with immune issues. It's not a total lie, I am seeing a close relative a fair bit, a person who is very frail, but I am probably not classed as a carer

Because there are plenty of jabs and you can just walk in. There was zero queue in my local pharmacy today, and I waited about 4 minutes. They can't give the jabs away, and the more people jabbed the better
    It will be 50 and over ultimately. I was called because of previous health issues. My colleague, 56, had his last week. I don’t think it’s limited to over 65s, or at least not everywhere.
    They should give it to anyone who wants it. Judging by my experience they have ample supplies and not enough arms to jab
    It’s not clear that it’s needed for all. Almost everyone has has covid, most also have had at least two shots of the vaccine. Ignore the hyperventilating about neutralising antibodies waning and focus of much, much reduced severity of covid. That’s due to a primed immune system. We are not really able to stop all infections, but most are now at the level of seasonal bugs.
    People are dying in hospital from covid and with covid. A lot of them would have died from pneumonia before covid times.
    BA5 is about as fatal as flu, however it is several times more infectious so kills about 3 times as many.

I suspect uptake of vaccines will be lower than previous years, but it is a free country and no compulsion. Like other choices in life people will make bad choices. It is their funeral after all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Foxy said:

BA5 is about as fatal as flu, however it is several times more infectious so kills about 3 times as many.

I suspect uptake of vaccines will be lower than previous years, but it is a free country and no compulsion. Like other choices in life people will make bad choices. It is their funeral after all.

Some family members attended a birthday party last weekend.

20 now confirmed with covid (some of them again)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,169
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

They should give it to anyone who wants it. Judging by my experience they have ample supplies and not enough arms to jab
    It’s not clear that it’s needed for all. Almost everyone has has covid, most also have had at least two shots of the vaccine. Ignore the hyperventilating about neutralising antibodies waning and focus of much, much reduced severity of covid. That’s due to a primed immune system. We are not really able to stop all infections, but most are now at the level of seasonal bugs.
    People are dying in hospital from covid and with covid. A lot of them would have died from pneumonia before covid times.

Absolutely, and if people want the vaccine they should be able to get it. For under 50s you can argue that there might not be huge benefits, where otherwise healthy.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

The Neuromancer trilogy ranks among the finest achievements of the human mind evah. Sistine chapel level stuff. After that, he learned how computers and internets actually work and became just another guy.

100% with you on the sprawl trilogy. Blew my mind when I first read it as a sci-fi obsessed teenager. The Peripheral is the first of his novels I really enjoyed since then. Bridge trilogy was meh and forgettable, all the pattern recognition era stuff feels very much of its time and much less interesting to read now.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant
    People aged 50 to 64 years old who are not in any of these groups will be able to get a seasonal booster (autumn booster) later in autumn 2022."

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

"Our records show that you’re eligible to receive a further COVID-19 vaccination this autumn. Your protection from previous doses may now be reduced and will continue to decline. A further dose should reduce your risk of becoming severely ill from COVID-19 this winter.

You can get vaccinated if your last dose was at least 3 months (91 days) ago. If you have a weakened immune system due to a health condition or medical treatment, please also encourage the people you live with (aged 5 years and over) to get vaccinated this autumn.

To book online:

Same here.
  • Options

Alistair said:

The Kerch traffic is heavily regulated is it not? I imagine the Russian authorities will not be allowing any civilians to exit, especially as they are having to use just a single carriageway. Surely, they will prioritise military traffic and essential supplies.
    You must allow for a fair bit of string pulling and bribery. Many of the Russians in Crimea have the right connections, or the money to influence those that do.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

I will be in the queue as soon as I am eligible
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

100% with you on the sprawl trilogy. Blew my mind when I first read it as a sci-fi obsessed teenager. The Peripheral is the first of his novels I really enjoyed since then. Bridge trilogy was meh and forgettable, all the pattern recognition era stuff feels very much of its time and much less interesting to read now.
    The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I have now had five Covidic jabs of various types. None of them had much apparent effect. Two days ago I had an mrna jab and a flu jab in different arms. No particular effect there either. In fact I've had good solid workouts on the turbo trainer, as for the last 11,000 miles since lock down. Am I a peddling zombie?

More importantly---is Charles still about? I'm only only an occasional PB watcher, but I haven't seen him for a while. I found him human and knowledgeable about things of which I know naught. And from social regions outside my ken.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

That's what I used. I ticked (half-truthfully) the box that said "looking after vulnerable person" - I was offered bazillions of jabs immediately. Wherever I wanted, time of my choosing. The NHS has plenty, they need more customers
  • Options

Alistair said:

No trucks only cars on the road.

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1578784788659544072?t=czYj_zv_-HdG6QQPEZvR8w&s=19

Train

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1578784788659544072?t=czYj_zv_-HdG6QQPEZvR8w&s=19
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    Fascinating chart in the FT;

https://www.ft.com/content/528500c8-7cfa-4aaf-9fca-7692aafeb9ce

The number of houses sold (as a percentage of total housing stock) has more than halved since 1990.

The “housing ladder” has stopped functioning.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

They had essentially infinite amounts of money and surely hired the best screenwriters. Yet the characters are flat and the dialogue is all sub-par cheapo fantasy Dungeons and Dragons wank

Everyone knows that Game of Thrones worked because it was funny and outrageous and the dialogue crackled along. This is boring. A bit Woke, I fear

But it's not just mild Wokeness, the CGI isn't very good. The dragons are unconvincing. Odd
    The infinte amounts of money are probably the cause. The original game of thrones came with far fewer expectations, so probably the creators had a great deal of creative license.

This sequel, though, will be written by dozens of people, whittled down into bland mediocrity, and given the death-by-a-thousand-notes treatment by studio execs. Too many stakeholders and too much at stake. Leading to utter blandness as every choice becomes a compromise between many differing opinions.

Great art is created by individuals and auteurs - I imagine Dungeons and Dragons or whatever it is called is designed by committee.
  • Options
    Toms said:

I have now had five Covidic jabs of various types. None of them had much apparent effect. Two days ago I had an mrna jab and a flu jab in different arms. No particular effect there either. In fact I've had good solid workouts on the turbo trainer, as for the last 11,000 miles since lock down. Am I a peddling zombie?

More importantly---is Charles still about? I'm only only an occasional PB watcher, but I haven't seen him for a while. I found him human and knowledgeable about things of which I know naught. And from social regions outside my ken.

It's complicated. But, no.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.
    That's odd. I booked mine a few days ago with no trouble at all (am under 50 but qualify as one of the special cases.) Try using this address instead:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

If memory serves it asks a series of questions and, if any of the answers flag you as eligible, you're in.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

I read one of the pattern recognition series and was rather underwhelmed by it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,180
    Toms said:

Charles decided to stop posting because he didn't like the comments from another poster who claimed to know his family.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Anyone done the maths on the economics of all this?

If it averages out at 1 extra sick day per worker, that's a meaningful bite out of GDP. (0.3 percent or so over a year?)

Or are those not prepared to invest in air filters and face masks part of the anti-growth coalition?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

The infinte amounts of money are probably the cause. The original game of thrones came with far fewer expectations, so probably the creators had a great deal of creative license.

This sequel, though, will be written by dozens of people, whittled down into bland mediocrity, and given the death-by-a-thousand-notes treatment by studio execs. Too many stakeholders and too much at stake. Leading to utter blandness as every choice becomes a compromise between many differing opinions.

Great art is created by individuals and auteurs - I imagine Dungeons and Dragons or whatever it is called is designed by committee.
    Yes, you are almost certainly right

Too many people with too much money invested, all offering an opinion, like a hundred chefs chucking in their own ingredient, you end up with a mush

It's mush. What a waste of money

Also quite shit direction and production. Some of the props and scenery are laughably, comically bad, which is near inexplicable
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.
    That's odd. I booked mine a few days ago with no trouble at all (am under 50 but qualify as one of the special cases.) Try using this address instead:

If memory serves it asks a series of questions and, if any of the answers flag you as eligible, you're in.
    Thanks but that's the link I used. I am not yet eligible. I could lie but I am not inclined to do so. It's fine.
  • Options

Toms said:

Charles decided to stop posting because he didn't like the comments from another poster who claimed to know his family.
    I wouldn't enter any summarising contests if I were you.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Train

Looks like a lot of cars fleeing from Crimea.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

Pity.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

TimS said:

This next election will be an interesting experiment in alternative history. Because it strikes me it’s like a 1997 election if it had been contested between John Smith and John Redwood.

The Labour lead under SKS over the Truss Tories now is bigger than the Smith lead over the Major Tories was then.

Other than Blair, SKS is probably the most electorally appealing leader Labour have ever had at this stage and on some polls Labour is doing as well as Blair did if not better
    The chaos and extreme ideology in the Tories helps Starmer, because while it's easy to portray him as boring it's virtually impossible to say he's chaotic and extreme. If the Tories were led by someone like Major or Cameron it'd be a pretty even fight.
  • Options

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Thanks but that's the link I used. I am not yet eligible. I could lie but I am not inclined to do so. It's fine.
    Mate, they are sitting there with jabs ready to go, and they are twiddling their thumbs, coz there's not enough people to jab

Waiting is absurd. Fib
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804

Toms said:

That's nasty. Getting towards stalking?

I'm surprised OGH and Smithson The Younger tolerated that!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

You did claim to know his family.
    Charles didn't like the comments you made.
    Charles decided to stop posting as a result.

I said nothing about whether you do, or do not, know his family, or whether your comments were fair and reasonable. I stuck strictly to the facts.
  • Options
    Telegraph: Truss tells MPs: Unite or face disaster #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/sgfmann/status/1578852461116547072/photo/1

True, but they need to unite behind not Truss
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be a fat Doctor Evil....."

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1578826955255734273
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    GIN1138 said:

Toms said:

I don't think it was like that. Charles was happy to dox himself with is continual name-dropping: my uncle this, my cousin that... but he got the huff when he was questioned on any aspects of it.

And maybe he regretted some of the exposure he had caused his family.
  • Options
    Woke people are, I suspect, completely incapable of humour
  • Options

"Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be a fat Doctor Evil....."

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1578826955255734273

He just needs a white cat to stroke.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    So will the OBR put real terms benefit cuts in its forecasts even though there is zero chance of them actually taking place?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

GIN1138 said:

Toms said:

I don't think it was like that. Charles was happy to dox himself with is continual name-dropping: my uncle this, my cousin that... but he got the huff when he was questioned on any aspects of it.

And maybe he regretted some of the exposure he had caused his family.
    Oh right. I never knew Charles was a name-dropper.

He was always nice to me. Shame he moved on but that's the nature of forums I guess.

I'm shocked to find I've been posting here since 2006! :open_mouth:
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

I said nothing about whether you do, or do not, know his family, or whether your comments were fair and reasonable. I stuck strictly to the facts.
    Charles made it quite clear who his family were. I couldn't stop himself letting everyone know how 'well-connected' he was.
  • Options
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Mate, they are sitting there with jabs ready to go, and they are twiddling their thumbs, coz there's not enough people to jab

Waiting is absurd. Fib
    FWIW I booked mine some time after husband's, expecting computer either to say no (not high enough priority yet, wait your turn) or yes, but to have to pick a later slot, because of high demand.

Was actually able to get the same date and time. And all the other time slots that day (which is only a couple of weeks from now) were still available. Suggests to me that Leon's anecdote is representative of the situation elsewhere, and they're not exactly swamped with customers. So you might as well lie, you're not likely to be doing some doddery nonagenarian out of their dose.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How long will The Express ands Mail stick by Truss?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

Charles made it quite clear who his family were. I couldn't stop himself letting everyone know how 'well-connected' he was.
    You might decide to take one side or the other in the dispute, but I was trying only to provide another poster with a neutral summary of what had happened.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Waiting is absurd. Fib
    I got done last week because my GP knows I am a carer.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

TimS said:

The Labour lead under SKS over the Truss Tories now is bigger than the Smith lead over the Major Tories was then.

Other than Blair, SKS is probably the most electorally appealing leader Labour have ever had at this stage and on some polls Labour is doing as well as Blair did if not better
    The chaos and extreme ideology in the Tories helps Starmer, because while it's easy to portray him as boring it's virtually impossible to say he's chaotic and extreme. If the Tories were led by someone like Major or Cameron it'd be a pretty even fight.
    Yes. It's very much two people outrunning a bear territory for PM.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Anyone done the maths on the economics of all this?

If it averages out at 1 extra sick day per worker, that's a meaningful bite out of GDP. (0.3 percent or so over a year?)

Or are those not prepared to invest in air filters and face masks part of the anti-growth coalition?
    My co-workers who came down with it over summer were off 4-5 days and at least one of them came back too early and ended up off for another 4 days.

The economic cost must be large.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Waiting is absurd. Fib
    FWIW I booked mine some time after husband's, expecting computer either to say no (not high enough priority yet, wait your turn) or yes, but to have to pick a later slot, because of high demand.

Was actually able to get the same date and time. And all the other time slots that day (which is only a couple of weeks from now) were still available. Suggests to me that Leon's anecdote is representative of the situation elsewhere, and they're not exactly swamped with customers. So you might as well lie, you're not likely to be doing some doddery nonagenarian out of their dose.
    At my pharmacist on Camden High Street they didn't even bother checking my booking number. Just assumed I was eligible, didn't care, it's fine, in you go. No queue

They have zillions of jabs and they need more arms

Also I have zero negative reaction, so far. A very slight soreness in my upper arm, but barely perceptible

Hopefully this will continue
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Can you feel a little Gove?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Lightning fast British policy in action.

Why house building is so broken in this country: Plans for 97 homes on a derelict site near a railway station, on land granted to developers in 2008, finally passes thanks to government overruling opposition who took it to the High Court, because quote the plans were 'excessive'.

https://twitter.com/feedthedrummer/status/1578389951623954432

So about that whole "planning isn't an issue" theory of yours @Richard_Tyndall . . .
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Waiting is absurd. Fib

I got mine at the hospital, and the flu one too a fortnight later. No queue either time. I think even staff uptake is not great any more.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Had my Covid and Flu jab yesterday!

Have been absolutely fine. Woke up with a slightly sore arm which has since worn off. Other than that everything has been fine. No reaction at all...

Oh and did I mention anti-vaxxxers suck?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Too many people with too much money invested, all offering an opinion, like a hundred chefs chucking in their own ingredient, you end up with a mush

Also quite shit direction and production. Some of the props and scenery are laughably, comically bad, which is near inexplicable
    Definitely agree the dragons are shite.

There's something strangely detached about the whole thing.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,533
    Andy_JS said:

Do you know what a “self-controlled case series” is ?

How would you use that to compare two different vaccines ?

What do you think the expected rates if cardiac deaths in 18-39 year olds is in
    a 28 day period ?

That press release is just nonsense on its face. Which is not surprising given who issued it.

• Options
    Leon said:

Pizza Express in Woke-ing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Charles was forever telling us of the time he was bridesmaid at Mollie Sugden’s wedding.

He posted usefully on pharmaceutical matters, but was an insufferable snob.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Toms said:

Absolute fucking nonsense. There was no doxxing element to it, but anyway he posted links to the obituary of some frankly uninteresting old posh buffer who he said was his dad, prompting multiple posts of Oh Charles how awful, I am not upper class enough myself to have had a father but even so I can vaguely see how it must feel to lose one. As the old buffer was called let's say Wayne Potts, it doesn’t take the offspring of sherlock Holmes and Bertrand Russell to deduce Charles's surname.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

TimS said:

Other way round. Truss is W-A-Y more shite than John Major ever was. Politically, she is without any redeeming features. No-one will give her the time of day, still less their vote.

There is still a multitude of Conservative-minded Labour-wary voters out there. But they will not vote Tory whilst Liz Truss leads the party. I suspect a solid, plodding, tells it how it is, reluctant-but-my-country-called PM such as Wallace would at least get a hearing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,533
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    Just lie. I did. Don't wait for the bureaucracy to catch up with reality

Honestly, the pharmacist was sitting there with loads of jabs and not enough arms. He told me. There was zero queue

The best thing anyone even slightly vulnerable can do is get jabbed, again
    It’s not necessary to lie.
    I got a booster last week from a drop in centre. As you say, they’re not busy at the moment.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Scott_xP said:

Wondering if this is the plan? Rule out Gove as a possible replacement by painting him as a backstabber in the same way as Sunak.
    Not sure why "loyalty" is so totemic amongst certain Tories? But it seems to be catnip.
    Surely loyalty to a loser guarantees defeat? But hey ho.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    Scott_xP said:

Shapps’s spreadsheet details how the PM has already lost the support of the so-called G- Group of about 20 right-wing conservatives. One of the most prominent was Peter Bone, who was made deputy leader of the Commons by Johnson, voted for Truss, joined her transition team and was then sacked. “She just abolished his post,” a senior MP said. “She has taken somebody who was loyal to her and crossed the road to make an enemy. Not one of the people in the group now support her.”

First decision by Loopy Liz she actually got right!
  • Options

Charles was forever telling us of the time he was bridesmaid at Mollie Sugden’s wedding.

But far more interesting than the insufferable class warriors on here....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You gotta give a bit of Gove, take a bit of Gove, be prepared to forsake a bit of Gove.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Lightning fast British policy in action.

Why house building is so broken in this country: Plans for 97 homes on a derelict site near a railway station, on land granted to developers in 2008, finally passes thanks to government overruling opposition who took it to the High Court, because quote the plans were 'excessive'.

https://twitter.com/feedthedrummer/status/1578389951623954432

So about that whole "planning isn't an issue" theory of yours @Richard_Tyndall . . .
    I simply don’t recognise his claims that planning consent is almost automatic.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Scott_xP said:

If I was Gove I'd choose the "let in Starmer" option. Win win - get a sane PM and, by implication, he's then also permitted to keep plotting, which I think he quite enjoys.
  • Options

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Toms said:

Absolute fucking nonsense. There was no doxxing element to it, but anyway he posted links to the obituary of some frankly uninteresting old posh buffer who he said was his dad, prompting multiple posts of Oh Charles how awful, I am not upper class enough myself to have had a father but even so I can vaguely see how it must feel to lose one. As the old buffer was called let's say Wayne Potts, it doesn’t take the offspring of sherlock Holmes and Bertrand Russell to deduce Charles's surname.
    Calm down, clam down, clam down. I was just going by what @LostPassword posted. If you are comfortable with what you posted about Charles then fair enough. I wasn't around at the time so it's not for me to judge! 😇
  • Options

He was the biggest class warrior of all.
  • Options

Depends on your appetite for endless smug dribbling. As you are a member of the Conservative Party I imagine yours is larger than average.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.

Honestly, the pharmacist was sitting there with loads of jabs and not enough arms. He told me. There was zero queue

I got a booster last week from a drop in centre. As you say, they’re not busy at the moment.
    Not booked yet, but I've been badgered by the GP surgery in the last few days and I'm certainly not 65.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Train

If I'm right, those cars are going into Crimea, not from it. Also looks like a convoy, not a stream - there are no car lights either behind or ahead of the cars you see in the video.

Suspect they will quickly make the rail bridge useable, but the main effect of the destruction will be psychological and political. First of all for the cut-through. People only vaguely following the war in Russia or elsewhere will know about this bridge. For the Russians it puts Crimea into play, which they see as their land, unlike the rest of the occupied Ukraine. They can no longer rationalise the invasion as only affecting other people; they could lose land as well as thousands of lives as a result of this adventure. For Ukrainians, it means they don't fear Russia anymore. They wouldn't have dreamt of destroying the Crimea Bridge before this year. They no longer care.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

Could be lifted straight from my golf club. Quite a few chaps think they're amusing down there.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

If I was Gove I'd choose the "let in Starmer" option. Win win - get a sane PM and, by implication, he's then also permitted to keep plotting, which I think he quite enjoys.
    Plus Gove supported Kemi in the leadership contest and she'll be in pole position for Con leader and LOTO after the Conseravtives are defeated at the next election.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Why are the Trussites and Daily Mail so eager to give Gove such positive coverage?
  • Options
    Where's Charles? Miss him SO much.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Is “sadist” supposed to be code for something? Or is this a simple case of projection by the Trussites?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.

Checks nearest drop-in centre: Bath Racecourse 30.2 miles away.

My GP surgery will call me in soon enough. Mrs P has hers next week.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Really? Are you over 65?

NHS Website says this:

"Seasonal boosters

aged 65 or over
    pregnant

I'll wait my turn.
    I got this 2 weeks ago

To book online:

Same here.

Waiting is absurd. Fib

I got mine at the hospital, and the flu one too a fortnight later. No queue either time. I think even staff uptake is not great any more.
    Got my flu shot this morning, and planning to get COVID booster later this week.

At present juncture, my priority was the former instead of the latter.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Andy_JS said:

"During the COVID-19 pandemic, Ladapo has promoted unproven treatments, opposed vaccine mandates, questioned vaccine safety, and associated with America's Frontline Doctors, a right-wing group known to promote falsehoods about the pandemic. In March 2022, he recommended that healthy children not be vaccinated against COVID-19, a decision contrary to the CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics. Experts cited by Ladapo expressed concern about how he used their work."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Ladapo
    Fwiw, my cardiologist took me off the list for mRNA vaccines on the basis of cardiac risks. He's definitely not a quack.
  • Options
    Tories on 41 seats if average recent polls pan out.

In Liz we Truss.

Outstanding work from the Liberal.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Train

If I'm right, those cars are going into Crimea, not from it. Also looks like a convoy, not a stream - there are no car lights either behind or ahead of the cars you see in the video.

Suspect they will quickly make the rail bridge useable, but the main effect of the destruction will be psychological and political. First of all for the cut-through. People only vaguely following the war in Russia or elsewhere will know about this bridge. For the Russians it puts Crimea into play, which they see as their land, unlike the rest of the occupied Ukraine. They can no longer rationalise the invasion as only affecting other people; they could lose land as well as thousands of lives as a result of this adventure. For Ukrainians, it means they don't fear Russia anymore. They wouldn't have dreamt of destroying the Crimea Bridge before this year. They no longer care.
    I think the road is on the North side, so that would suggest traffic heading into Crimea.

It may well be a contraflow system that shifts direction occasionally. I think the damage was at the crimean end, fairly near the land.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Toms said:

Calm down, clam down, clam down. I was just going by what @LostPassword posted. If you are comfortable with what you posted about Charles then fair enough. I wasn't around at the time so it's not for me to judge! 😇
    I'm clam as fcku.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Detached house of dragons?
  • Options

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Yes, it is peculiar. Like watching a movie through a grey gauze. It is inert and dull

Game of Thrones was regularly confusing, annoying, irritating, outrageous... but never boring. NEVER BORING

But there are other things: I just saw a prop horse carriage, it looked like something comedically shit from a cheap BBC medieval-scifi drama in the 70s. What is that about? They have endless money

• Options

Depends on your appetite for endless smug dribbling. As you are a member of the Conservative Party I imagine yours is larger than average.
    No, I am not a member any longer.

My appetite to call out those with an appetite for smug dribbling remains undiminished, however.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Train

You're right, they are going into Crimea. Road on the left of the rail bridge, as it looks from the Crimea end.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

He could very easily have remained entirely anonymous if he had wished to but he could never resist letting us all know how well connected and important he was. He had interesting things to say for sure but I always got the impression that because of who he was he thought his opinions were more valuable than those of the rest of us. It really wasn't a particularly pleasant character trait.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Could be lifted straight from my golf club. Quite a few chaps think they're amusing down there.
    Yeah. but I am funny. And you know this

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

"During the COVID-19 pandemic, Ladapo has promoted unproven treatments, opposed vaccine mandates, questioned vaccine safety, and associated with America's Frontline Doctors, a right-wing group known to promote falsehoods about the pandemic. In March 2022, he recommended that healthy children not be vaccinated against COVID-19, a decision contrary to the CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics. Experts cited by Ladapo expressed concern about how he used their work."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Ladapo
    Fwiw, my cardiologist took me off the list for mRNA vaccines on the basis of cardiac risks. He's definitely not a quack.
    Glad yours has settled.

It is a recognised risk, though myocarditis is also a well recognised post covid event too, 5% within 6 months in one study. Mostly self limiting in both vaccine and viral cases, I believe.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-myocarditis-and-pericarditis-information-for-healthcare-professionals/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-myocarditis-and-pericarditis-following-covid-19-vaccination#can-myocarditis-or-pericarditis-be-caused-by-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

• Options
    Politico.com - GEORGIA ON MY MIND — You know things are bad when Bloomberg writes a paragraph explaining state election rules for replacing a nominee.

HERSCHEL WALKER’s Georgia Republican Senate bid has suffered a brutal week after an allegation surfaced that he’d paid for an ex-girlfriend’s abortion — and new hits kept coming Friday. (The answer to the replacement question, by the way: Can’t happen. Walker will be on the ballot.)

NYT’s Maya King, Lisa Lerer and Jonah Bromwich confirmed the reporting of The Daily Beast’s Roger Sollenberger about the abortion in 2009 — and revealed that the woman now alleges Walker encouraged her to have a second abortion two years later. She refused, giving birth to a now 10-year-old boy with whom she says Walker has had a minimal relationship. . . .

Until Friday, Walker claimed he didn’t know the identity of the woman making the abortion allegation, and his campaign said he never paid for an abortion. Talking to NBC’s Marc Caputo, Walker had a somewhat different message: “I’m not saying she did or didn’t have one [an abortion]. I’m saying I don’t know anything about that. I don’t know.” . . .

Sollenberger’s latest story includes new text messages shared by the woman between Walker and their son, whom she says he’s met only thrice. The messages lay out a heartbreaking narrative, apparently showing Walker lying to the boy in July about how many half-siblings he has, and Walker frequently sending unanswered texts that simply say, “Love you.”

“What’s my favorite color?” the boy texted Walker last fall, per Sollenberger. “What grade am I in?And how old am I.” The next day, Walker wrote back, “God bless you, love you.”

For Walker, who’s been a public critic of absentee fathers in the Black community and a hardline abortion opponent, the ongoing barrage of messy family details — and ensuing media circus — could threaten his campaign to unseat Sen. RAPHAEL WARNOCK. One Republican in the state texted Bloomberg’s Billy House an image of a sinking ship. . . .

For the first time, DONALD TRUMP is jumping in to boost Walker financially, per Meridith McGraw. MAGA Inc., the new super PAC using Trump’s war chest in the midterms, put down $750,000 on Friday for a new ad that avoids mention of Walker: “From D-Day to drag queen story time, America has lost its way,” it says instead. “Radical Democrats are indoctrinating our children to hate America — opening our borders and crushing working people with taxes.”

And on the campaign trail, Walker is leaning into an unapologetic conservative message attacking excessive “wokeness” in society, AP’s Bill Barrow reports from Emerson. “Walker says those who don’t share his vision of the country can leave, and he blasts his opponent … and the Democratic Party as the real purveyors of division.”
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Yes, it is peculiar. Like watching a movie through a grey gauze. It is inert and dull

Game of Thrones was regularly confusing, annoying, irritating, outrageous... but never boring. NEVER BORING

But there are other things: I just saw a prop horse carriage, it looked like something comedically shit from a cheap BBC medieval-scifi drama in the 70s. What is that about? They have endless money

Although Paddy is brilliant. That might be part of the problem. It's like a serious top drawer RSC actor has wandered onto the set of the twelfth and possibly final series of some middle grade cable TV fantasy show.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Is the answer "I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want"?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    edited October 2022

Is “sadist” supposed to be code for something? Or is this a simple case of projection by the Trussites?

Sane And Decent, If Somewhat Tory?

ETA: I remember, immediately post Cameron, I was thinking Gove was the worst that could happen. What carefree days those were!
  • Options
    The stag that the king just speared in episode 3 was like something quite shit from Ray Harryhausen in the 1960s

The CGI in House of the Dragon is THAT bad

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Plus Gove supported Kemi in the leadership contest and she'll be in pole position for Con leader and LOTO after the Conseravtives are defeated at the next election.
    I very nearly see Michael Gove as the Cyrano de Bergerac of the Tory Party. His looks preclude him from the top job that others need his help to do.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,101
    Scott_xP said:

Gove has never struck me as a sadist. A masochist perhaps, being married to Sarah Vine for all those years. I thought it was Truss who was into all the weird shit, according to Leon, at least, who ought to know.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,101
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yeah. but I am funny. And you know this

You are funny. It's the only thing that makes you bearable.
This discussion has been closed.