Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just how long can she survive? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    kjh said:

So drove a Sports 2000 instead. Loved it. Got overtaken a lot as I took it carefully, but by lap 5 I had my first lap where I wasn't overtaken and I overtook others. I want more.

Never driven one but I heard Sports 2000s swap ends pretty fast if it gets away from you to due to high levels of aero grip that just disappear once it's not moving in a straight line.

My Thruxton PB is 1:33 dead. R35 Nissan GTR on fresh NT-01s.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

MaxPB said:

Seminal moment in our household(ish) - my dad cancelled his subscription to the Telegraph, his words this morning - "it's just complete nonsense and they're asking me to pay £300 per year for the pleasure of reading it".

The Telegraph has been a fixture at my parents house for ca. 30 years. The Tory party is losing its core voters right now.

I think among many people there has been a mild-leftward shift in values. I think there are multiple causes: the staleness of the Tory offering, Covid, Brexit and the characters of Johnson and Truss, but broadly I think it consists of:

1. A general attitude that people with the broadest shoulders can afford to pay more into the system, and should do so.

2. A strengthening of sympathy for public sector workers re pay and conditions.

3. Objectively being critical of some of the challenges the country faces re Brexit: eg worker shortages.

4. A feeling that public services deserve more investment in general.

I am feeling this shift too, in my own views and opinions on things. Interesting a genuinely one nation Tory offering would probably be able to steer this course quite well (and to be fair to Boris and Rishi there was some hint of 4 re the NI rise but of course they didn’t get 1. - ie the extra money was coming from everyday workers).

Truss’ fiscal ineptitude, cosplay Thatcher, tax cuts for the rich, spending cuts approach is moving the Tory Party in the opposite direction from the way the country is moving. This is another reason why she is doing so badly in the polls, and why right wing media outlets are struggling - because they don’t get it, they can’t see the change in direction.
    Most of the wealth generated by the modern economy goes to a very small elite.

In 2018, 82% of new wealth globally went to the top 1%. It is all very well saying grow the pie and the rest will work itself out, but the facts on the ground demonstrate otherwise.
    I have no idea where the truth lies here, but let's say the 82% thing is true in some sense.

But what of the next step? All that cash and assets, except that which is stuck in a top hat under the bed, is spent either on investments, all of which are designed to create wealth otherwise it wouldn't happen, or stuff, which, whether socks or yachts or expensive living, keeps the industrial, leisure and retail show on the road.

It's not that I like it or approve - it seems revolting to me, but a fairly small elite having lots more financial clout than Joe Public isn't new. It has, SFAICS, been the bedrock of English society at least since 1066.
    I am not lefty communist but I just don't accept that it has always been thus. I am not suggesting things should be equal far from it. If the 1% were getting 25% of new wealth instead of 82% I would not be complaining.

The top 1% wealth (in the US - easier to find figures) dropped from 35% area in the 1920s and 1930s down to a low of 20% in the 1970s and has been rising since then, quickly over the last decade. It varies over time, depending on government policies as much as the decisions of entrepreneurs.

We should rebalance.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,975

I would certainly hope so. If someone changes their username that should be respected.

If I remember his last post it wasn’t doxxing - he was open about that - it was that @IshmaelZ threatened to talk to his cousins about what he was saying

ROFL, what a lad
    He was pretty indiscreet on occasion.
    I think that's hilarious, Ishmael does make me laugh
    Well the site is poorer, in my view, for the loss of his insights and access to gossip.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,531

Scott_xP said:

SNP Depute leader Keith Brown #snp22: “Keir Starmer is just another Tony Blair.”

Blair’s *worst* GE result in Scotland was winning 41 seats

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1578684082179158016

That was before Iraq and Better Together.
    Labour still held the bulk of their seats in 2010. There is no reason Labour cannot do it again someday.
    Yes there is.

Anti-French parties do not do well in French elections.
    Anti-Danish parties do not do well in Danish elections.
    Anti-Irish parties do not do well in Irish elections.
    Anti-Scottish parties do not do well in Scottish elections.

The necessary prerequisite for Labour success in Scotland is them rediscovering their pro-Scottish heritage.
    I think your argument is, just being the party of independence will sustain the SNP, regardless of any scandals, corruption, or next leader being nowhere as talented as Nicola Sturgeon, defying all political gravity for ever and ever?

But what about the other way round? Is there no point where SNP popularity wanes due to holding power in Scotland so long, and not so much voter interest in independence drop, but the priority the voters then have for it? It’s sustained maybe by SNP convincing it’s just around the corner, that can change, the neccesity of achieving independence could wane?

We can see both with the Starmergasm because Truss is so bad and when the SNP took such a firm grip of Scottish politics and the return of MPs, when things move it moves quickly - so for example, maybe something like a second Indy ref lost by a clear margin might have a dramatic impact on SNP support?
    Okay, I’ll ask same question in a more succinct less rambling way.

So the next Indy ref, which could be just 3 or 4 years away, is lost 59/41 - that result won’t impact at all on subsequent SNP support in UK and and Scottish Parliament elections? It will be business as usual straight after such Indy ref defeat?

The realisation in voters minds independence rejected again, this time decisively, so if it ever happens it’s not going to happen for a generation or more, won’t lead to drop in SNP support in the short to medium term, allowing other parties to seize back some Westminster seats, perhaps even take control of the Scottish Parliament? We can definitely rule this scenario out?

If we can’t rule this scenario out, it makes it very important for SNP to win the next Indy ref, or at very least, not to lose it by a clear and decisive margin, wouldn’t it?
    Did people see the recent Quebec elections? The PQ, the SNP equivalent, continued their slide down.
    Why do we think that is though?

For what reason do we doubt Stu’s edict: if you are the SNP your popularity will be ever lasting and an eternal flame?
    In so far as I understand Quebecois politics, which isn’t very much to be fair, the SNP-like left-ish pro-independence PQ has lost to a newer right-wing devomax party. The Quebec voters appear to have decided that the optimal constitutional outcome for Quebec is a very high degree of autonomy within, but not quite full independence from Canada.
  • Options

I would certainly hope so. If someone changes their username that should be respected.

If I remember his last post it wasn’t doxxing - he was open about that - it was that @IshmaelZ threatened to talk to his cousins about what he was saying

ROFL, what a lad
    Well the site is poorer, in my view, for the loss of his insights and access to gossip.

I don't agree I'm afraid but I've said my piece.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Baxter’s new prediction for Uxbridge and South Ruislip:

PREDICTION: LAB GAIN FROM CON

MP at 2019: Boris Johnson (CON)

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Uxbridge and South Ruislip

It's ironic that if the Tories are decimated at the next election history will likely rate Johnson the worst leader of all time.. It's almost a Shakespearean tragedy but without a tragic hero. It's funny to think it's only a few months ago that our most loquacious Tory poster -sadly no longer posting- who thought Johnson the greatest Prime Minister since Churchill.
    Name-dropper supreme @Charles ?
    I do with @Charles would come back. He definitely added value here.
    He was a twat. Good riddance
    L
    You are the only poster who is consistently unpleasant about people.
    About people that are nasty - yes I am.

You tried to imply I was being nasty to Moon yesterday, why would I be so inclined to get her back here if I hated her? I was an army of one trying to get her back after she was wrongfully banned.
    I don’t recall @Charles ever being nasty. Yes he had a particular posting style hat could jar (although he once said that he preferred to be open about his life experiences so saw it as factual rather than boasting).

“factual rather than boasting” doesn’t really compute:

Boasting (n): excessively proud and self-satisfied talk about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities.

Boasting (adj): exhibiting or characterized by excessive pride or self-satisfaction.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Uxbridge and South Ruislip

It's ironic that if the Tories are decimated at the next election history will likely rate Johnson the worst leader of all time.. It's almost a Shakespearean tragedy but without a tragic hero. It's funny to think it's only a few months ago that our most loquacious Tory poster -sadly no longer posting- who thought Johnson the greatest Prime Minister since Churchill.
    L

You tried to imply I was being nasty to Moon yesterday, why would I be so inclined to get her back here if I hated her? I was an army of one trying to get her back after she was wrongfully banned.
    I don’t recall @Charles ever being nasty. Yes he had a particular posting style hat could jar (although he once said that he preferred to be open about his life experiences so saw it as factual rather than boasting).

Boasting (n): excessively proud and self-satisfied talk about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities.

Boasting (adj): exhibiting or characterized by excessive pride or self-satisfaction.

Yes well said
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909

ohnotnow said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Only 3 months ago, Russian propaganda was claiming that the Crimea bridge was impossible to attack because of 20 different modes of protection covering it, including military dolphins (#17) https://www.kp.ru/daily/27390/4584149/ What a colossal failure https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1578675708876193793/photo/1

The dolphins probably died of starvation after some colonel embezzled all the funds intended for their food. Amongst myriad other instances of corruption.
    Dolphins, being intelligent beasts, are probably swimming happily along the north Turkish seaside, entertaining the tourists!
    .... After a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner,"
    The Red Flag surely, if they were trained by the Russian military. Perhaps the Russian military have a different anthem nowadays of course!
    Ah - sorry, it was a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reference that I couldn't resist!

"On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
    They long ago knew of Earth's planned destruction and tried to communicate this to humans who misinterpreted it as "amusing attempts to punch football or whistle for tidbits."
    The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner," but was, in fact, a message. The message was "so long, and thanks for all the fish."
  • Options

@trussliz
    For the first time in over 20 years, millions of people in the USA will be able to enjoy high quality British lamb.

This milestone marks a well-deserved boost to our rural economy and we will continue to secure more growth opportunities for Britain’s brilliant food producers.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1578704018641387520

Verily we are indeed fortunate to have Truss’s trade deals.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The destruction of the Kerch Bridge is further confirmation of what a fair few of us have been saying all along: Crimea is Ukraine and will be liberated.

Kudos to the Ukrainians who have pulled this off, it is a brilliant strike at the heart of Russian logistics which were already dreadful to begin with.

Congratulations Putin, your invasion has been less cunning than any of Baldrick's plans ever could have been.

Baldrick however did not have nuclear weapons unlike Putin and they are still his last resort if he faces total defeat
    I'm so bored of hearing about Putin's nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons didn't help the USSR in Afghanistan, the USA in Afghanistan, the USA in Vietnam. We have nuclear weapons too, the USA do too. Nuclear weapons won't help Putin dig himself out of this hole, anymore than it defeated the Taliban or Vietcong.
    It’s a beautiful morning out here in the Atlantic. I just hope I’m not one of the last tourists to see New York.
    You could see the lights go out on Broadway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IGAbJbykI
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Only 3 months ago, Russian propaganda was claiming that the Crimea bridge was impossible to attack because of 20 different modes of protection covering it, including military dolphins (#17) https://www.kp.ru/daily/27390/4584149/ What a colossal failure https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1578675708876193793/photo/1

The dolphins probably died of starvation after some colonel embezzled all the funds intended for their food. Amongst myriad other instances of corruption.
    Dolphins, being intelligent beasts, are probably swimming happily along the north Turkish seaside, entertaining the tourists!
    .... After a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner,"
    The Red Flag surely, if they were trained by the Russian military. Perhaps the Russian military have a different anthem nowadays of course!

Unofficially... "Katyusha" The Soviet troops sing it at the end of Downfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu9EYHjohp0
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited October 2022

@MoonRabbit if any of my posts have come across as bullying then I will offer you my full apology, it is not how I want to ever come across so I am sorry if you have felt that way. I will withdraw my accusations about you being a liar and I will not bring up the issue again.

No worries mate 👍🏻

I didn’t claim I felt bullied. In my mind I was giving you, Anabob and all Labour fans a hard time for drooling over the polls, partying down over the Keirgasm - and I was right to bully you all, you can’t Possibly know what is in the script for next two years, the Tory’s are now so rubbish they are a threat to the economy, workers rights, consumer rights, environmental protections, a huge genuine threat to the welfare system so many hard working families depend on - 40% of UC receivers are in work - you should be feeling the PRESSURE of NEEDING to seal the win and govern well enough to keep this liberal economics gone mad out of power, if Tories don’t return to the centre.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,745
    So we’re about to find out if Putin is minded to escalate. I can’t think of many things more provocative than blowing up the Kerch Bridge (other than large direct attacks on Moscow or St Petersburg etc)

If he does nothing, then he probably won’t do anything ever

Crucial days
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Meanwhile, breaking in the Economist: thinking hard makes the brain tired

No wonder Leon has so much energy?
  • Options

@MoonRabbit if any of my posts have come across as bullying then I will offer you my full apology, it is not how I want to ever come across so I am sorry if you have felt that way. I will withdraw my accusations about you being a liar and I will not bring up the issue again.

No worries mate 👍🏻

I didn’t claim I felt bullied. In my mind I was giving you, Anabob and all Labour fans a hard time for drooling over the polls, partying down over the Keirgasm - and I was right to bully you all, you can’t Possibly know what is in the script for next two years, the Tory’s are now so rubbish they are a threat to the economy, workers rights, consumer rights, environmental protections, a huge genuine threat to the welfare system so many hard working families depend on - 40% of UC receivers are in work - you should be feeling the PRESSURE of NEEDING to seal the win and govern well enough to keep this liberal economics gone mad out of power, if Tories don’t return to the centre.
    To be fair, I'm not projecting a 200 seat Labour majority - although it is fun winding people up by posting it and I really should learn to use the emoji button. I think there will be a narrowing, the best case for Labour is I think a very slim majority.

I enjoy your contributions, you always have a lot to say
  • Options

No worries mate 👍🏻

To be fair, I'm not projecting a 200 seat Labour majority - although it is fun winding people up by posting it and I really should learn to use the emoji button. I think there will be a narrowing, the best case for Labour is I think a very slim majority.

I think voters have a fear of large majorities and suggestions of such create a swing-back; this was clearly part of the 2017 story and probably also made it easier for the LibDems to pick up tactical votes when it was clear Blair was heading for his various victories. The trouble is that voters don’t really appreciate the extent to which the voting system can amplify a strong swing.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Scott_xP said:

SNP Depute leader Keith Brown #snp22: “Keir Starmer is just another Tony Blair.”

Labour still held the bulk of their seats in 2010. There is no reason Labour cannot do it again someday.
    Yes there is.

The necessary prerequisite for Labour success in Scotland is them rediscovering their pro-Scottish heritage.
    I think your argument is, just being the party of independence will sustain the SNP, regardless of any scandals, corruption, or next leader being nowhere as talented as Nicola Sturgeon, defying all political gravity for ever and ever?

But what about the other way round? Is there no point where SNP popularity wanes due to holding power in Scotland so long, and not so much voter interest in independence drop, but the priority the voters then have for it? It’s sustained maybe by SNP convincing it’s just around the corner, that can change, the neccesity of achieving independence could wane?

We can see both with the Starmergasm because Truss is so bad and when the SNP took such a firm grip of Scottish politics and the return of MPs, when things move it moves quickly - so for example, maybe something like a second Indy ref lost by a clear margin might have a dramatic impact on SNP support?

So the next Indy ref, which could be just 3 or 4 years away, is lost 59/41 - that result won’t impact at all on subsequent SNP support in UK and and Scottish Parliament elections? It will be business as usual straight after such Indy ref defeat?

The realisation in voters minds independence rejected again, this time decisively, so if it ever happens it’s not going to happen for a generation or more, won’t lead to drop in SNP support in the short to medium term, allowing other parties to seize back some Westminster seats, perhaps even take control of the Scottish Parliament? We can definitely rule this scenario out?

If we can’t rule this scenario out, it makes it very important for SNP to win the next Indy ref, or at very least, not to lose it by a clear and decisive margin, wouldn’t it?
    Did people see the recent Quebec elections? The PQ, the SNP equivalent, continued their slide down.

For what reason do we doubt Stu’s edict: if you are the SNP your popularity will be ever lasting and an eternal flame?
    Dearie dearie me. Straw Man gold medal.

My ambition is for the SNP to be defunct. The sooner the better.

Exactly the opposite of your everlasting (note: one word) eternal flame. Too much Bangles.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

L

What people seem to have got upset about is the type of comment “I met X for dinner and they said Y”.

That’s a statement of fact and potentially helpful insight. It could also be see as name dropping and potentially boastful if you were being uncharitable
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ….
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Leon said:

The destruction of the Kerch Bridge is further confirmation of what a fair few of us have been saying all along: Crimea is Ukraine and will be liberated.

Kudos to the Ukrainians who have pulled this off, it is a brilliant strike at the heart of Russian logistics which were already dreadful to begin with.

Congratulations Putin, your invasion has been less cunning than any of Baldrick's plans ever could have been.

When @Leon wakes up we'll be told to "Brace!!"

BRACE, MUTHAFUCKERS
    It's a glorious October day today here in Dorset.

A bit bracing but that just seems appropriate.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    Leon said:

So we’re about to find out if Putin is minded to escalate. I can’t think of many things more provocative than blowing up the Kerch Bridge (other than large direct attacks on Moscow or St Petersburg etc)

Crucial days

It was suggested in the previous thread he might go after the north sea pipeline, which I think is a plausible escalation. If he does, how do we respond? With another escalation?

Since Threads, I just see all these events printed on a black screen, in blue type.

This month:

"Nordstream 2 pipeline sabotaged"
    "Russians routed from Lyman"
    "Kerch strait bridge destroyed"

Next month?

"North sea pipeline sabotaged - Russia denies culpability"
    "NATO responds with cruise missile strike on Russian base in Ukraine"
    "Battlefield nuclear weapons detected on Ukrainian border"

etc

• Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

L

What people seem to have got upset about is the type of comment “I met X for dinner and they said Y”.

That’s a statement of fact and potentially helpful insight. It could also be see as name dropping and potentially boastful if you were being uncharitable
    I think most people would reach a judgement based on the frequency and pertinence of the references, and on the extent to which any self-satisfaction involved is made obvious.

We are British, after all, not American.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Leon said:

Crucial days

That particular assertion will likely last as long as it takes for the Ukrainians to make their next advance. They mop up the Western bank of the Dnipro and that's the water supply to Crimea cut off and anything up to 15,000 of what we're led to believe are Russia's best troops captured. Bigger news than a burning bridge.
  • Options
    BRACE, MUTHAFUCKERS

- German rail operator says massive train disruption caused by sabotage

https://m.dw.com/en/german-rail-operator-says-massive-train-disruption-caused-by-sabotage/a-63377385
  • Options
    Anyone care to guess how severe the impact on the UK would be if the Russians knocked out the Langeled pipeline?

Obviously that would be an act of war but easy deniability on their part.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

Anyone care to guess how severe the impact on the UK would be if the Russians knocked out the Langeled pipeline?

It's an obvious move for Putin: whilst people are rightly concerned by nukes (although sometimes too concerned, some other asymmetrical and deniable act is more likely. The nuclear power stations have not gone away...
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Ah - sorry, it was a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reference that I couldn't resist!

"On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
    They long ago knew of Earth's planned destruction and tried to communicate this to humans who misinterpreted it as "amusing attempts to punch football or whistle for tidbits."
    The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the "Star Spangled Banner," but was, in fact, a message. The message was "so long, and thanks for all the fish."
    Cannae beat the old classics.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

BRACE, MUTHAFUCKERS

https://m.dw.com/en/german-rail-operator-says-massive-train-disruption-caused-by-sabotage/a-63377385

Well, that's not so much of an issue in this country. We already have loads of disruption caused by shite infrastructure.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

No worries mate 👍🏻

Cmd, Ctrl & space bar on a Mac keyboard 😉
  • Options

Extremely serious.

It has a capacity of 25.5 billion cubic meters per year.
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide whether to put the heating on.

It's definitely getting colder and I don't want to develop a cold.

I might compromise by lighting the stove tonight.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

Incorrect, and sometimes your taking everything personal so lets launch a vendetta is problematic...
    He was an absolute dickhead to a number of people on many occasions - and an incredible snob.

I don't take anything personally except when people are actually rude to me - as you would react I am sure.

And no doubt people will pipe up about ideology. You and I are quite aligned on ideology but don't get on too well but I get on very well with HYUFD say or Richard. There are some people here who are just rude for no reason, I believe in calling that out.
    You think being rude to you is simply disagreeing with you or calling you out when you are rude to others.

Your biggest problem is (a) the fact you need to grow up and (b) realise that it's not all about you.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

That particular assertion will likely last as long as it takes for the Ukrainians to make their next advance. They mop up the Western bank of the Dnipro and that's the water supply to Crimea cut off and anything up to 15,000 of what we're led to believe are Russia's best troops captured. Bigger news than a burning bridge.
    No. The Kerch Bridge is - or was - totemic. Apparently they even made a movie about it

A mere defeat on the battlefield can be reversed. This cannot. It’s a global and public humiliation
  • Options

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

Charles was very informative on matters medical. For that insight alone he is greatly missed.

He also had class.

Admittedly, upper class. But there are enough on here with no class at all.
    I won't hear a word against @Charles - he was and is a good egg.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BRACE, MUTHAFUCKERS

Well, that's not so much of an issue in this country. We already have loads of disruption caused by shite infrastructure.
    Yes, but you’ve got to add the possibility of disruption due to sabotage on top of all the other pre-existing causes of disruption.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

Because the pro secession side is united (the Greens are an irrelevance in Westminster elections) and the anti secession side isn't. It's a recipe for an infinite series of SNP victories, which only ends if independence happens, or if it fails to happen for so long that the SNP succumbs to infighting over that failure. When might either eventuality come to pass? Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

It was suggested in the previous thread he might go after the north sea pipeline, which I think is a plausible escalation. If he does, how do we respond? With another escalation?

Since Threads, I just see all these events printed on a black screen, in blue type.

This month:

Next month?

etc

And those who won't commit to the Russophobe Doomsday Cult will still be derided as cowards and appeasers when the SS-18s are falling on Hartlepool.
  • Options
    Amongst many many other things, the skilful execution of the Kerch Bridge attack elevates the possibility that it was the Ukes who blew up Nordstream 2
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Colds are viruses that don’t like cold weather
  • Options
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

No. The Kerch Bridge is - or was - totemic. Apparently they even made a movie about it

A mere defeat on the battlefield can be reversed. This cannot. It’s a global and public humiliation
    Putin opened that bridge himself by driving a lorry over it.

It was built by one of his best mates (ok, that's pretty normal in Russia).

It was his way of linking Crimea to Russia, not Ukraine.

It was also very much a pet project driven through over the objections of engineers, who said it was incredibly risky geologically given the nature of the seabed, and politicians, who pointed out it was going to make any sort of settlement in Ukraine near-impossible and would damage Russia's image in Mariupol and Melitopol by blocking the Kerch Strait.

And it was blown up the day after his birthday.

He's going to take this very personally. However, it happened some time ago and he hasn't blown the world up yet.
  • Options
    *Betting Post

Odd thing just happened. I was just given a tip for the Cesarawitch, 3.40 Newmarket this afternoon. The horse is Scaramanga and is 10/1 with Ladbrokes. The source of this information was a private conversation on a completely different topic with a well-known racing and TV presenter who I know would not have mentioned it if he didn't think it was good value.

Usual warnings apply, but I've had £50 ew and I don't bet those sort of sums anymore. If you take the suggestion, do so according to your own pocket.

I'm intrigued. We'll find out soon enough whether he is right.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Colds are viruses that don’t like cold weather
    Really? Then I must be unusual because I get colds when I get cold.
  • Options
    Girkin (moral cornerstone of Russian nationalism in the same way that Farage is for hypertensive tory gammons) is doing his nut on Telegram. He reckons unless something changes Russia is heading for 1917 scenario. Let's hope for a Red October.
  • Options
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

The Russians aren't capable of reversing their territorial losses. The Russian army is knackered, and the situation's only ever going to get worse from hereon in.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Girkin (moral cornerstone of Russian nationalism in the same way that Farage is for hypertensive tory gammons) is doing his nut on Telegram. He reckons unless something changes Russia is heading for 1917 scenario. Let's hope for a Red October.

Let's hope not, actually.

February would be better, but this time with a Kerensky figure who wasn't hammered all the time and could hold on to power.
  • Options

Roger said:

Ho ho.

Predicted votes:
    Lab 54%
    Con 29%
    LD 6%
    Grn 5%

Chance of winning:
    Labour 94%
    Conservatives 6%

L
    And yet, cries fowl and abuses freely whenever he gets as good as he gives.

One day he'll learn and join the dots. But not yet.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Comrades, this is your captain. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honored to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Party's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — the Conservative Party. For 100 years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today, the game is different. We have the advantage, and it reminds me of the heady days of the Welfare State and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our nationalisations. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our opinion poll leads. The order is: engage the Starmer Drive!

Comrades, our own Unionised Left-wing don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our extremists behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct austerity debates. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our own laughter, while we sail to Liverpool, where the sun is warm, and so is the... comradeship.

A great day, comrades. We sail into history!
  • Options

Extremely serious.

So that's 1/3 of the annual UK usage.
  • Options

Extremely serious.

So that's 1/3 of the annual UK usage.
    Put it this way, if it gets blown up Truss will regret not trying to get us to save energy.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

The Russians aren't capable of reversing their territorial losses. The Russian army is knackered, and the situation's only ever going to get worse from hereon in.
    I read that as 'the situation's only going to get worse from heroin'. Which would probably be true of most situations.
  • Options
    I've just realised, I've exercised/worked out every week since February this year, not taken a single week off. Time does fly by
  • Options

pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

I read that as 'the situation's only going to get worse from heroin'. Which would probably be true of most situations.
    It's morphine into a disaster.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Nah, the Russian army's not off it's head on smack, it's off it's head on vodka. Though the results are much the same.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

I've just realised, I've exercised/worked out every week since February this year, not taken a single week off. Time does fly by

Well done, I've always been too lazy to develop it as a habit
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I haven't got the heating on but but that's because the pressure in the boiler has gone too low. I suppose I should have called someone in a few days ago when it started leaking (water?) but now it's not working.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Dura_Ace said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

This month:

Next month?

etc

And those who won't commit to the Russophobe Doomsday Cult will still be derided as cowards and appeasers when the SS-18s are falling on Hartlepool.
    The 'Russophobe' claim doesn't work no matter how much you try to push it. People may or may not be overly blase about the risks of an escalated conflict, but it's not from Russophobia.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Let's hope not, actually.

February would be better, but this time with a Kerensky figure who wasn't hammered all the time and could hold on to power.
    Comrade Covid took out Zhirinovsky (partial redemption after the botched near miss of the Johnson mission) so at least he's out of the picture.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

*Betting Post

Odd thing just happened. I was just given a tip for the Cesarawitch, 3.40 Newmarket this afternoon. The horse is Scaramanga and is 10/1 with Ladbrokes. The source of this information was a private conversation on a completely different topic with a well-known racing and TV presenter who I know would not have mentioned it if he didn't think it was good value.

Usual warnings apply, but I've had £50 ew and I don't bet those sort of sums anymore. If you take the suggestion, do so according to your own pocket.

By sheer coincidence that is already my bet! But not for that sort of stake.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ROFL, what a lad

I MADE NO SUCH THREAT, I pointed out to him that the rich and posh generally do not go on about how rich and posh they are and cited his cousins as an example. I have not and would not in 1m years tell them that I know anything about him. I am sorry if he misunderstood this. What happens on PB stays on PB.

But really, poshness has the same first rule as fight club. He seems not to understand this.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited October 2022
    TimS said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

Starmergasm's a new one. Is that a PB original?
    Wait until Starmergeddon.

Or if he goes very right wing, Der Starmer.
    And it then goes pear shaped, Starmerdämmerung.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848

*Betting Post

Sorry, Peter, I regret to inform you I also backed Scaramanga.

It is the Pricewise tip for the race
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

MaxPB said:

Seminal moment in our household(ish) - my dad cancelled his subscription to the Telegraph, his words this morning - "it's just complete nonsense and they're asking me to pay £300 per year for the pleasure of reading it".

The Telegraph has been a fixture at my parents house for ca. 30 years. The Tory party is losing its core voters right now.

I think among many people there has been a mild-leftward shift in values. I think there are multiple causes: the staleness of the Tory offering, Covid, Brexit and the characters of Johnson and Truss, but broadly I think it consists of:

1. A general attitude that people with the broadest shoulders can afford to pay more into the system, and should do so.

3. Objectively being critical of some of the challenges the country faces re Brexit: eg worker shortages.

I am feeling this shift too, in my own views and opinions on things. Interesting a genuinely one nation Tory offering would probably be able to steer this course quite well (and to be fair to Boris and Rishi there was some hint of 4 re the NI rise but of course they didn’t get 1. - ie the extra money was coming from everyday workers).

Truss’ fiscal ineptitude, cosplay Thatcher, tax cuts for the rich, spending cuts approach is moving the Tory Party in the opposite direction from the way the country is moving. This is another reason why she is doing so badly in the polls, and why right wing media outlets are struggling - because they don’t get it, they can’t see the change in direction.

In 2018, 82% of new wealth globally went to the top 1%. It is all very well saying grow the pie and the rest will work itself out, but the facts on the ground demonstrate otherwise.
    The numbers don't surprise me. Once somebody's wealth crosses a certain line (I don't know where that is exactly, perhaps about £5,000,000) then you can live very comfortably off investments and always keep getting richer. Barring civilizational collapse, one can only go backwards through profligacy, extreme stupidity, or deliberately giving ones wealth away.

The entire economy is structured to prioritise the interest of asset owners over that of wage earners, with the latter paying for everything. It's just the way it is.
    Most new wealth and assets are created by billionaire entrepreneurs like Musk or Gates or Sugar or Bezos.
    The exceptions that prove the rule. How many tech billionaires and Premier League footballers are there in each generation, and how many proles are there fretting about how to juggle housing costs, food prices and electricity bills?

Besides, most of the UK's national wealth is tied up in piles of bricks rather than ones and zeroes.
    And most adults in the UK own property, it is their main asset.

There are far more property millionaires than savings or financial investments millionaires for example. People owning property and their home is a good thing

• Options
    edited October 2022
    kle4 said:

Well done, I've always been too lazy to develop it as a habit
    That used to be me, but once you do cross the threshold from slog to habit then it becomes an effort NOT to do exercise. I've gone away for a long weekend and have had to make a conscious effort not to pack my running gear in my luggage. Will be straight back out on the roads or off down the gym when I get home Monday afternoon though. It's one of the less destructive addictions, if you can master the art of not overdoing it and knackering yourself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Baldrick however did not have nuclear weapons unlike Putin and they are still his last resort if he faces total defeat
    I'm so bored of hearing about Putin's nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons didn't help the USSR in Afghanistan, the USA in Afghanistan, the USA in Vietnam. We have nuclear weapons too, the USA do too. Nuclear weapons won't help Putin dig himself out of this hole, anymore than it defeated the Taliban or Vietcong.
    Depends if Putin is willing to take the risk the other leaders weren't. If the choice is complete defeat and his losing power or nuclear war, even involving NATO he may still risk it
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

You think Labour is anti-Scotland, I don't. You think Labour is anti-Scotland because they are against Independence, I don't agree.
    Being part of better together labour just showed themselves to be no different to the other unionist parties. They’d been better served allowing their MPs/officials to campaign for whichever cause they supported. We will end up,with an independent Scotland eventually. Better to allow Indy supporting parts of the party to embrace it.
    Wise advice.

Instead Anas has conducted a purge of pro-independence candidates and members. Odd behaviour when 38% of Scottish Labour voters are pro-independence.
    Given the shift of SCon voters to SLAB over recent weeks the percentage of SLAB voters pro independence will now be much less than 38%
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

It was also very much a pet project driven through over the objections of engineers, who said it was incredibly risky geologically given the nature of the seabed, and politicians, who pointed out it was going to make any sort of settlement in Ukraine near-impossible and would damage Russia's image in Mariupol and Melitopol by blocking the Kerch Strait.

He's going to take this very personally. However, it happened some time ago and he hasn't blown the world up yet.
    There will almost certainly be some kind of retaliation/escalation. Putin will want it; Russians will expect it

As the Bridge looks very much like a Uke job, my guess is that he will target Ukraine. A tactical nuke on some Ukrainian town? Or conventional missiles personally aimed at Zelensky?

Carpet bombing Lviv?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends if Putin is willing to take the risk the other leaders weren't. If the choice is complete defeat and his losing power or nuclear war, even involving NATO he may still risk it
    He still wouldn't win, of course, it's just that others would lose too.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    Scott_xP said:

*Betting Post

Sorry, Peter, I regret to inform you I also backed Scaramanga.

It is the Pricewise tip for the race
    Mukha Magic e/w. Nibbles only.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited October 2022
    ydoethur said:

A beautiful sunny autumn day here.

My new stove was fitted this week, shall fire it up tonight for a test run.

Mrs Foxy wants me to put together a blackout survival kit, but I reckon the power cuts will be short enough to make it pointless.

• Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,063
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Russia's best troops are in Crimea. It's interesting Ukraine has blown up the bridge now, while thise troops can still escape to the north. I guess they plan on taking Crimea and wanted those troops out of there.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    alednam said:

"Cameron survived until the referendum was lost". But it was widely believed that the referendum would (from his point of view) be won, and most of his MPs voted Remain. It's true that Leave on, but Cameron was never—until the result was announced in manifest need of emergency care.

It is nearly certain that if the referendum had gone the other way, Cameron would still be PM.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

You think Labour is anti-Scotland, I don't. You think Labour is anti-Scotland because they are against Independence, I don't agree.
    There must be a question in peoples minds when they're viewing the standing of a party which isn't nationalist when there is a nationalist party. Are the non-nationalists anti-nationalists or or what?
    Independence is normal.

It is British Nationalism which is deviant.

Principal parties ranked by adherence to nationalism, from greatest to least:

1. Conservatives
    2. Labour
    3. Liberal Democrats
    4. SNP
    5. Greens
    The idea the SNP, a party which had the word nationalist in it, is less nationalist than the pro UK and pro EU LDs is ludicrous.

The Tories backed Brexit, the SNP and Scottish Greens back Scottish independence so by any definition those are the 3 most nationalist parties in the UK and Scotland
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    From the Guardians live stream :

"Railway traffic on a damaged road and rail bridge linking Russia and the Crimean peninsula will resume at 8pm local time, the Interfax news agency reported, citing Russia’s transport ministry."

That seems like either a) the damage wasn't too extensive, b) they don't care if the new train makes it and won't allow filming near the damaged section, c) they're lying.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

There will almost certainly be some kind of retaliation/escalation. Putin will want it; Russians will expect it

As the Bridge looks very much like a Uke job, my guess is that he will target Ukraine. A tactical nuke on some Ukrainian town? Or conventional missiles personally aimed at Zelensky?

Carpet bombing Lviv?
    Russia cannot get to Lviv. Their planes would be shot out the sky.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

Being part of better together labour just showed themselves to be no different to the other unionist parties. They’d been better served allowing their MPs/officials to campaign for whichever cause they supported. We will end up,with an independent Scotland eventually. Better to allow Indy supporting parts of the party to embrace it.
    Wise advice.

Instead Anas has conducted a purge of pro-independence candidates and members. Odd behaviour when 38% of Scottish Labour voters are pro-independence.
    Given the shift of SCon voters to SLAB over recent weeks the percentage of SLAB voters pro independence will now be much less than 38%
    But as there will be more Slab voters overall .... and some of them will be a lot less likely to vote Slab as a result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He still wouldn't win, of course, it's just that others would lose too.
    By that stage he may not care
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Carpet bombing Lviv?
    Russia cannot get to Lviv. Their planes would be shot out the sky.
    But not their missiles
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I was forced to watch the first episode of a comedy about a young man expelled from Oxbridge and exiled to teach at a dreadful little public school in Wales. Lead character played by Jack Whitehall, who did that travel show with his mum n dad.

Are you like Jack’s character, the bald one or the bigamist?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ROFL, what a lad

I MADE NO SUCH THREAT, I pointed out to him that the rich and posh generally do not go on about how rich and posh they are and cited his cousins as an example. I have not and would not in 1m years tell them that I know anything about him. I am sorry if he misunderstood this. What happens on PB stays on PB.

But really, poshness has the same first rule as fight club. He seems not to understand this.
    Charles was indeed probably the richest and poshest poster on here, he just wasn't modest about it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    WillG said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Russia's best troops are in Crimea. It's interesting Ukraine has blown up the bridge now, while thise troops can still escape to the north. I guess they plan on taking Crimea and wanted those troops out of there.
    It will also trigger an exodus of Russian civilians from Crimea.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tactical nukes are simply not that useful on the battlefield. The UKR forces are dispersed and highly mobile, and not far from the Russians. What militarily would be achieved?

Blowing up a town or city is more possible, but what then would be achieved? That wouldn't stop the Russian defeat in the occupied Oblasts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ROFL, what a lad

Charles was indeed probably the richest and poshest poster on here, he just wasn't modest about it
    How can you tell if most people don't declare their wealth or background?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

This month:

Next month?

etc

The 'Russophobe' claim doesn't work no matter how much you try to push it. People may or may not be overly blase about the risks of an escalated conflict, but it's not from Russophobia.
    At the beginning of the current unpleasantness (& possibly subsequently but I tend to switch off when a lot of that blather starts) there were PBers glorying in the prospect of Russian troops being killed in unpleasant ways, not that those chickenhawks would ever be involved in the killing. Call me a pinko peacenik but I think there was a wee smidgeon of Russophobia involved in that bellicosity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

MaxPB said:

The numbers don't surprise me. Once somebody's wealth crosses a certain line (I don't know where that is exactly, perhaps about £5,000,000) then you can live very comfortably off investments and always keep getting richer. Barring civilizational collapse, one can only go backwards through profligacy, extreme stupidity, or deliberately giving ones wealth away.

The entire economy is structured to prioritise the interest of asset owners over that of wage earners, with the latter paying for everything. It's just the way it is.
    Most new wealth and assets are created by billionaire entrepreneurs like Musk or Gates or Sugar or Bezos.
    The exceptions that prove the rule. How many tech billionaires and Premier League footballers are there in each generation, and how many proles are there fretting about how to juggle housing costs, food prices and electricity bills?

Besides, most of the UK's national wealth is tied up in piles of bricks rather than ones and zeroes.
    And most adults in the UK own property, it is their main asset.

There are far more property millionaires than savings or financial investments millionaires for example. People owning property and their home is a good thing
    Undoubtedly being an owner occupier in Britain is where virtually everyone wants to be - because being a mortgage payer or renter is so ruinously expensive (and, in the latter case, often very precarious.) However, there are very serious negative consequences to having an economic model that is too bent towards asset holders at the expense of wage earners. The UK suffers from low investment and high rates of poverty in large measure because people cannot lose from sinking all their wealth into piles of bricks, and cannot win if they can't afford to buy a pile of bricks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

There must be a question in peoples minds when they're viewing the standing of a party which isn't nationalist when there is a nationalist party. Are the non-nationalists anti-nationalists or or what?
    Independence is normal.

It is British Nationalism which is deviant.

Principal parties ranked by adherence to nationalism, from greatest to least:

1. Conservatives
    2. Labour
    3. Liberal Democrats
    4. SNP
    5. Greens
    The idea the SNP, a party which had the word nationalist in it, is less nationalist than the pro UK and pro EU LDs is ludicrous.

The Tories backed Brexit, the SNP and Scottish Greens back Scottish independence so by any definition those are the 3 most nationalist parties in the UK and Scotland
    Where does the word nationalist appear in the SNP?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ROFL, what a lad

I would bet my house at odds on that is not the case. Even money that he made the top 5.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

Wise advice.

But as there will be more Slab voters overall .... and some of them will be a lot less likely to vote Slab as a result.
    In the past few weeks SLAB has moved to about 30% from the 18% it got in 2019, almost entirely with gains from Unionist voters from the SCons.

So the percentage of pro independence Labour voters wouild now be less than 20% at most compared to the 38% it was in 2019
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I was forced to watch the first episode of a comedy about a young man expelled from Oxbridge and exiled to teach at a dreadful little public school in Wales. Lead character played by Jack Whitehall, who did that travel show with his mum n dad.

Are you like Jack’s character, the bald one or the bigamist?
    What was that? Decline and Fall?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there is.

Wise advice.

Fair point. But it is a dreadful strategy.

Starmer is fishing in a pool of soft SCons, which is approx 8pp, at best. Instead, he should be trying to win back the voters his party lost to the SNP and Greens post-Better Together, approx 25pp.

But hey, what do I know?
  • Options
    I dedicate this song to the Kerch Bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
  • Options
    Scotland 'snow-free' for fourth time in six years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-63184780

VERY depressing
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

From the Guardians live stream :

"Railway traffic on a damaged road and rail bridge linking Russia and the Crimean peninsula will resume at 8pm local time, the Interfax news agency reported, citing Russia’s transport ministry."

That seems like either a) the damage wasn't too extensive, b) they don't care if the new train makes it and won't allow filming near the damaged section, c) they're lying.

Looking at the photos and footage, I reckon (c): lying

They might run one meaningless tiny train for experimental and propaganda purposes but you wouldn’t risk anything important on that structure. You have no idea how badly it is damaged and whether more might collapse

It has been completely whacked. A truck bomb that went off as a fuel train passed. Genius
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Russophobe doomsday cult?

I'm not sure I understand this. Surely the people demanding a firm stance from the west with regards to Russia are the ones not buying into the doomsday scenario? Or do you mean those suggesting a degree of appeasement who think Russia is so mad we are heading for the apocalypse.

One note of optimism. You have to be nearly 40 now to have any memory of the Soviet Union/Russian Empire. There is a big generational divide in how Russians view this and it's the young you need to sacrifice on the battlefield. As Zelensky's spokesman Arestovych put it,

'RU people born after the fall of the USSR, cannot understand the ressentiment of the older generation for the fall of the USSR. The RU younger generation cannot understand why RU has a problem with UA and why they should die in the war against UA.'
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Carpet bombing Lviv?
    Recent history suggests they’ll lob a few missiles at a civilian target.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scotland 'snow-free' for fourth time in six years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-63184780

VERY depressing

Seconded.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780

alednam said:

"Cameron survived until the referendum was lost". But it was widely believed that the referendum would (from his point of view) be won, and most of his MPs voted Remain. It's true that Leave on, but Cameron was never—until the result was announced in manifest need of emergency care.

It is nearly certain that if the referendum had gone the other way, Cameron would still be PM.
    I think he said he would step down before the next GE anyway, which would have been 2020, so an exciting year for a GE!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    If Ukrainian special forces or agents can assemble a very large bomb in Russia, drive it through manual inspections and apparently scanning, and then detonate it at a very opportune time to start a fire on an adjacent train carrying fuel, then what else might they do? If they did this they could strike other high value targets in Russia, maybe right in Moscow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ROFL, what a lad

Highly dubious.

I bet someone around here is totally minted, and has never even hinted about it. The truly rich never talk money when conversing with plebeians.

How about, oh, I dunno @kinabalu ?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Carpet bombing Lviv?
    Yes quite likely. But I suggest it will be more than “lob a few”. It will be dramatic because it has to be

Because: if Putin doesn’t retaliate in a drastic way - at least equal to the provocation - he will be seen as weak and humiliated - by Russians as much as outsiders - and that for him means the end is near

My guess is that he will wipe out an entire Ukrainian town or some intensely important Ukrainian symbol

Odessa? Historic kyiv?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Crucial days

Carpet bombing Lviv?
    Yes quite likely. But I suggest it will be more than “lob a few”. It will be dramatic because it has to be

Because: if Putin doesn’t retaliate in a drastic way - at least equal to the provocation - he will be seen as weak and humiliated - by Russians as much as outsiders - and that for him means the end is near

My guess is that he will wipe out an entire Ukrainian town or some intensely important Ukrainian symbol

Odessa? Historic kyiv?
    That doesn't work because he claims Ukraine is part of Russian civilization. Odessa was founded by Catherine the Great, for example. He would be wiping out Russian heritage per his own narrative.
This discussion has been closed.