Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A CON majority drops to a 17% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Taz said:

EPG said:

Has anyone else noticed that Leon is an anagram of Elon. I first realised this when mentally remarking on the Ukraine situation using the phrase "pound shop" as an adjective.

It’s also an anagram of Noel, as in daytime TV great Edmonds.
    amusing
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

Derby Day, unless it is moved.
    Can his mother’s ghost be in two places at once?
    Can the police and television cameras be in three places at once? Surely the Derby and FA Cup Final will need to be moved unless the King wants a slimmed-down coronation with no guests and only on the wireless. Hmm. Nothing on the BBC's news page about the coronation so let's not panic just yet.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/uk-prepares-for-winter-blackouts-as-energy-rationing-campaign-discussed

'Ministers have stepped back from mooted plans to launch a public information campaign to encourage households to reduce their energy use this winter.

A campaign asking households to turn their thermostats down and use their dishwashers and washing machines at times when energy demand is lower have been discussed between the business department, energy companies and the network operator National Grid.

However, business department on Wednesday said there are now “no plans for the government to tell the public to reduce usage for the sake of our energy supplies”.'

Incredible. What are they thinking?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Taz said:
    Be not afraid, as John Paul II might have said.

I got sucked in to watching "The Man Who Saved The World" the other day.

It is a very odd film given that the protagonist essentially plays himself, but it is an interesting tale - albeit quite well known now. Nobody had a clue at the time, of course.

I think it does show that even under extreme pressure it is likely that somebody in the chain will be keen to avoid WW3.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,198
    MattW said:

Trans Activists on Twitter. As far as I can see, this stuff is normal tactics in some circles.

Thread from 'gender critical' activist Caroline Farrow about the police turning up at her door at teatime to arrest her for alleged 'malicious online communication'. In front of her children.
    https://twitter.com/CF_Farrow/status/1577092705154666496

And another perhaps more PB one from her barrister about harassment he has been subjected to since he has been representing her, including multiple complaints to legal authorities and several to police. Consider further legal measures to stem the tide. Also introduced me to the world of unregistered barristers - which sounds like a parallel to unregistered architects.
    https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1577441968497561606

He just received enough compensation from the Met to build a swimming pool.

One of the Farrow coppers remarked that she had been arrrested for 'writing insulting things on the internet. Which is not an offence (if I understand my case law correctly.)

There's an Augean stables to be cleared out somewhere. Where's Heracles?

The Police seem to be acting as enablers to someone who simply has a grudge against farrow and the whole arrest and seizure of her IT seems to be to enable them to search for proof of the accusation, as they don’t have any just the original complaint. The complaint being she posted some stuff on something called Kiwifarms which she has denied.

It’s gravely concerning.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,993
    Taz said:

EPG said:

Has anyone else noticed that Leon is an anagram of Elon. I first realised this when mentally remarking on the Ukraine situation using the phrase "pound shop" as an adjective.

It’s also an anagram of Lone, which seems more appropriate.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    We’re all crying out for a change now. Time for
    Starmer. I cannot cope with Liz Truss for 2 years.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Was busy earlier when Truss' speech was on. A few good bits on her background catching up on iplayer but my goodness the delivery is awful and wooden.

It makes even IDS or May speeches seem like passionate oratory by comparison

Interesting how Liz Truss is the second female PM in a row to face the same types of criticisms.
    What, it is impossible to say that two female PMs separated by a contemptibly useless male PM are also useless? I do love this very distinctive PB gammon dressed as wokery. No bad mouthing the laydeez in the mess, what?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Twelve Ways to Divide the UK

https://i.redd.it/2wjievs17vr91.jpg

My favorite is "Horses"

That's quite funny.
    I bristle slightly at the North of England being in the 'post-industrial depression' category - most of it is at least 'both of the above'.
    Also a pedant notes West Cumberland is also rugby league. Though the rugby league band in Lancashire and Yorkshire is too wide - doesn't extend that far north.
    (ISTR that this only applies to watching rugby - even in the rugby league heartlands I think at least as many people play rugby union than play rugby league. @dixiedean may have a viewon this!)
    Indeed. You are probably correct. RU has always had the social side. Most amateur RL is like soccer. Turn up train or play. Go home.
    There isn't the lengthy session in a decent clubhouse afterwards.
    There never was a great distinction, or enmity even in the bad old days, though. If they'd followed Twickenham and banned everyone who'd ever played league, there wouldn't have been an RU XV to raise in Wigan or St. Helens or Wakefield.
    A great many still play both. Especially now league is summer. I think it makes you better at both.
    My Union coach, from S Yorks, said it was common for him and his mates to play the odd game of League under assumed names. Everyone knew it happened.

Bill Beaumont was a frequent attender to watch Wigan at Central Park.
    At a time when merely watching a game of League was supposed to be a banning offence.
    My Dad had his lifetime ban from Twickenham framed. It never stopped him playing Union. Indeed he ended up Honorary Life President of his local RU club
  • Options

Taz said:

EPG said:

It’s also an anagram of Lone, which seems more appropriate.
    😀

And Leno, as in Jay.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/uk-prepares-for-winter-blackouts-as-energy-rationing-campaign-discussed

'Ministers have stepped back from mooted plans to launch a public information campaign to encourage households to reduce their energy use this winter.

A campaign asking households to turn their thermostats down and use their dishwashers and washing machines at times when energy demand is lower have been discussed between the business department, energy companies and the network operator National Grid.

However, business department on Wednesday said there are now “no plans for the government to tell the public to reduce usage for the sake of our energy supplies”.'

Seems bonkers. An easy win for little cost.
  • Options

Incredibly, you can get 8.6 that Truss will be gone by end of year.

Value bet de jour.

Is it though? There is not much of this year left and if LizT hangs around while a successor is chosen that narrows the window further. I think I'd want to see a few post-speech polls to see if today's speech has pulled it out of the fire.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    I've just seen the clips of Truss's speech and found out that I am anti growth!!!!

That's news to me!
  • Options

Taz said:
    Be not afraid, as John Paul II might have said.

I got sucked in to watching "The Man Who Saved The World" the other day.

It is a very odd film given that the protagonist essentially plays himself, but it is an interesting tale - albeit quite well known now. Nobody had a clue at the time, of course.

I think it does show that even under extreme pressure it is likely that somebody in the chain will be keen to avoid WW3.
    We can but hope. Max Hastings was on the radio plugging his book abiut the Cuban Missile crisis. It is clear those in the chain in the US wanted war and JFK was the calm head prevailing.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Was busy earlier when Truss' speech was on. A few good bits on her background catching up on iplayer but my goodness the delivery is awful and wooden.

Interesting how Liz Truss is the second female PM in a row to face the same types of criticisms.
    I would say Johnson wasn't a female PM but I'd be cancelled by the wookies for gendering him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

The Coronation will be over by
    2 30pm, the main race of the Derby does not start until 4 30pm
    There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Well I think we know what his Mum would have wanted.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I would say Johnson wasn't a female PM but I'd be cancelled by the wookies for gendering him.
    His very name genders him. He was A Johnson.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,477
    edited October 2022
    Scott_xP said:

There does seem to be a general lack of astuteness and political nous exhibited by allies of Truss. A bit like they expected it would all be so easy and they could enjoy being the new kids on the block. Demonstrates a lack of seriousness and a complacency (particularly given the current economics) which I think has helped lead to this situation.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013
    Do any PBers still support Truss?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Quite, as there seem likely to be energy shortages anyway even if the market forces reduce consumption somewhat.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It does seem a bit bonkers given that with the energy cap it is future taxpayers that are taking the risk here and not the utilities.

Perhaps one of the Covid dashboard people would like to step in and create a simplified "shall I turn on the washing machine" website using the publicly available information?

I know we have gridwatch but it is a bit on the geeky side.
  • Options

Luckyguy1983 I think.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

I've just seen the clips of Truss's speech and found out that I am anti growth!!!!

That's news to me!

The Tories are cancer
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Well, she was crowned on the 2nd June, so that's presumably why that date's been picked. But the previous week which is already a Bank Holiday weekend would be from all points of view more logical.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Maybe they think that given the general viewpoint of population on the current government that it'd be counterproductive... "Those bleep bleep politicians telling me to reduce my thermostat - I'll show them. (Turns it up 2 degrees)"
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

I think most of us ex Tories don’t.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

That's news to me!

The Tories are cancer
    No, no. Anti-cancer. Think about it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,018

There does seem to be a general lack of astuteness and political nous exhibited by allies of Truss. A bit like they expected it would all be so easy and they could enjoy being the new kids on the block. Demonstrates a lack of seriousness and a complacency (particularly given the current economics) which I think has helped lead to this situation.

They thought they were the smartest kids in the room. They forgot the room contained Nads, Francois, Bone and Jenkyns...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It does seem a bit bonkers given that with the energy cap it is future taxpayers that are taking the risk here and not the utilities.

Perhaps one of the Covid dashboard people would like to step in and create a simplified "shall I turn on the washing machine" website using the publicly availably information?

Maybe TravellingTabby could get upgraded from MBE to KBE?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

Incredibly, you can get 8.6 that Truss will be gone by end of year.

Value bet de jour.

And you can get 2/1 that LT will be PM after the next GE, which is the Unvalue bet de jour.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Perhaps one of the Covid dashboard people would like to step in and create a simplified "shall I turn on the washing machine" website using the publicly available information?

Liz Truss doesn't care about future generations. She just wants to ensure old c**** feel as though they can do what they want at any time and not feel the consequences of policies that have stripped the nation of its wealth to feed their pensions and healthcare.

We should have let COVID run it's course properly. It was nature's way of clearing out the old and fat and we spent hundreds of billions to save these ungrateful fucks.
  • Options
    The anti growth coalition?

Catchy…
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    edited October 2022

Carnyx said:

They were - according to the article and amongst other things including politics - also debating whether the message should come from the Government, the Energy Companies or the regulator OFGEM.

A UK industry source said: “There is still a debate over who is best to offer guidance to households – government, suppliers or network operators.”

I'd say a public information campaign from OFGEM.

The G seems to think that there is a contradiction between offering advice and 'the Govt's libertarian principles', which I don't understand.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Kwazi?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    nico679 said:

So if there’s no growth it will be the fault of the alleged anti-growth coalition.

Perhaps she’s aiming for 0% and will systematically blame every part of the Tory voting constituency.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,697
    O/T

"Chess prodigy Hans Niemann suspected of cheating in more than 100 matches
    Specialist website publishes 72-page dossier on claims"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chess-prodigy-hans-niemann-suspected-of-cheating-in-up-to-100-matches-htbfs9bq5
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    edited October 2022
    Must watch video for a sense of what’s happening in the Russian Caucasus:

https://twitter.com/gerashchenko_en/status/1577703532932775938

Khodorkovsky pointed out that he doesn’t mention Prigozhin in his list of elite cowards.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

Scott_xP said:

Kwazi?
    in the khazi

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

For this usual Tory voter in General Elections, I have not had a Tory voting thought since Patersongate and everything about LT makes it worse.

Hunt and Hat would have made me have a careful look, as would, more doubtfully, Kemi, who has certainly got something of quality.

LT is not even minor ministerial quality. She is as voter worthy as Corbyn, and less intellectually thought out. As she puts it so well: She. Is. A. Disgrace.

And I voted Tory in 1997,2001 and 2005.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    It was suggested upthread that I would put kiwifruit on a pizza, which is a vile smear.

Nobody in NZ would do this.

On the other hand, you can get something called a “kiwi burger”, which is like a normal beef burger but includes a fried egg and beetroot.

If I’m honest, it’s not actually very good.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, she was crowned on the 2nd June, so that's presumably why that date's been picked. But the previous week which is already a Bank Holiday weekend would be from all points of view more logical.
    3 June is at the end of Whit half term so lots of people will be travelling home from a week away. Seems an odd choice.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,849
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Liz Truss doesn't care about future generations. She just wants to ensure old c**** feel as though they can do what they want at any time and not feel the consequences of policies that have stripped the nation of its wealth to feed their pensions and healthcare.

We should have let COVID run it's course properly. It was nature's way of clearing out the old and fat and we spent hundreds of billions to save these ungrateful fucks.
    Brutal ! I just have the urge to slap old people who look like Tory voters . The pandering to pensioners is vomit inducing as younger people are fxcked .
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

For this usual Tory voter in General Elections, I have not had a Tory voting thought since Patersongate and everything about LT makes it worse.

Hunt and Hat would have made me have a careful look, as would, more doubtfully, Kemi, who has certainly got something of quality.

LT is not even minor ministerial quality. She is as voter worthy as Corbyn, and less intellectually thought out. As she puts it so well: She. Is. A. Disgrace.

Someone who voted Tory in 97 who will switch to Lab in 24... If you are in any way typical, well...
  • Options

It was suggested upthread that I would put kiwifruit on a pizza, which is a vile smear.

On the other hand, you can get something called a “kiwi burger”, which is like a normal beef burger but includes a fried egg and beetroot.

NZ food rarely is – it's not a nation anyone should visit for its cuisine.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

The anti growth coalition?

Catchy…

Rather like "The Enemy Within" it'll have its backers. I'm sure Reeves, Starmer, Davey, Sturgeon et al will come out swinging - I'm more reminded of that epic quote from Rik Mayall:

"The Prime Minister with no brain returns once more to frolic on insanity beach".

As an aside, Truss is certainly not stupid by any measurement - she is desperately trying to do another re-invention of the Conservative Party and Government - apparently Cameron, May and Johnson - indeed, the last 12 years - were managed decline.

The problem was she was a big part of the management of that decline - if she had walked out claiming the economic policy was wrong and advocated the current nonsense from the sidelines for the last few years, she'd have a soupcon of credibility but it's almost as though she only discovered supply-side economics after meeting with Kwasi Kwarteng who I increasingly think is the real power in Government.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Someone who voted Tory in 97 who will switch to Lab in 24... If you are in any way typical, well...
    I voted Tory in 1997 and I’m planning on voting Labour in 2024.

Heck I may even campaign for them if Liz Truss gets any shitter.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    More detail has just been released on the members of the Anti Growth Coalition: https://youtu.be/oJ-9R6NCZ0A
  • Options

algarkirk said:

I voted Tory in 1997 and I’m planning on voting Labour in 2024.

Heck I may even campaign for them if Liz Truss gets any shitter.
    Crikey.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Luckyguy1983 I think.
    She’s got Lucky
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    Lennon said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Maybe they think that given the general viewpoint of population on the current government that it'd be counterproductive... "Those bleep bleep politicians telling me to reduce my thermostat - I'll show them. (Turns it up 2 degrees)"
    They probably think turning down the thermostat is anti growth, or woke (or both). There’s a strain in libertarian right thinking that objects to energy efficiency as being defeatist and wet.

A well directed public information film would work well I think, as did government messaging during Covid. Even during the Cummings stuff people followed the guidance closely.

A menacing soundtrack. In the background the sounds of electric shocks and a torture chamber. A grinning Vlad Putin with gloved hands on a dial. Cut to film of a British family. Someone’s feeling a bit chilly despite only wearing a T shirt. Cranks up the thermostat to 19C. Cut to Vlad turning up the dial. “No, no! Aaaargh! Buzz buzz”. Then a chilling silence.

Text appears on screen. “Conserve energy. Turn down the dial on Putin’s power”.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chess-prodigy-hans-niemann-suspected-of-cheating-in-up-to-100-matches-htbfs9bq5

But not, oddly, in his famous win over Carlsen.

I played through that game and the only moderately suspicious element was that Niemann handled the opening very well which made you wonder whether someone in Carlsen's team had leaked the champion's preparation to Niemann. Even so the advantage Niemann got out of the opening was small and you would have expected Carlsen to turn it round which he kind of did. He lost in the end by pressing too hard for the win (we all do it...sigh) instead of acepting a hard-fought draw.

So all still a bit inconclusive.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

I've had wonderful hangi on the North Island.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Scott_xP said:

Can the police and television cameras be in three places at once? Surely the Derby and FA Cup Final will need to be moved unless the King wants a slimmed-down coronation with no guests and only on the wireless. Hmm. Nothing on the BBC's news page about the coronation so let's not panic just yet.
    Why not have the Derby and Cup Final on the Sunday, for the hungover Royalists to watch?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Russia’s latest rhetoric around Nordstream 2 yet more evidence that they are responsible.

Is it not Nordstream 1 that they blew up? I don't think Nordstream 2 has ever been operational.
    They blew up both: two cuts to NS1, one to NS2.
    Do they still get paid for the gas lost from the pipeline? Is blowing the pipeline up not a poor medium term business decision?
    No.

But: if the pipeline existed, and Gazprom was not delivering, then it would be on the hook for the costs that Germany (and others incurred) in finding alternative gas supplies.

Because the pipeline no longer exists, Gazprom can declare Force Majeure: well, we would have shipped the gas to you but sadly someone blew up the pipeline so we're off the hook.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not have the Derby and Cup Final on the Sunday, for the hungover Royalists to watch?
    The Cup Final and Derby on a Sunday??

Wash your mouth out.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Thatcher was a good speaker in her prime
  • Options

YouGov

Support for independence has increased by five points to 43 per cent, while backing for the Union dropped by one point to 45 per cent, with 7 per cent undecided.

With “don’t knows” removed, this means the constitutional question remains on a knife-edge: 49 per cent favour independence for Scotland and 51 per cent favour remaining part of the UK.

Shockingly remiss of you not to add the DKs to the No leger.
    Indeed, including DKs Yes still 2% less than it got in 2014
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,306

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Something like, "don't turn the washing machine on if we're using more than two-thirds of our gas power capacity", and "do everything you've been delaying if we're using less than one-third of our gas power capacity".

Pretty sure you can get the wind energy forecast for the grid too, so you could even tell people when there was next likely to be enough wind power that they could do the laundry.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

And the hungover royals (well, Wales) to hand the winners the cup?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
    They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

YouGov

Support for independence has increased by five points to 43 per cent, while backing for the Union dropped by one point to 45 per cent, with 7 per cent undecided.

With “don’t knows” removed, this means the constitutional question remains on a knife-edge: 49 per cent favour independence for Scotland and 51 per cent favour remaining part of the UK.

Shockingly remiss of you not to add the DKs to the No leger.
    Indeed, including DKs Yes still 2% less than it got in 2014
    You still equating self-selected skippers of a few larsger Scottish fishing boats with the entire Scottish fishing industry, afloat and ashore?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Something like, "don't turn the washing machine on if we're using more than two-thirds of our gas power capacity", and "do everything you've been delaying if we're using less than one-third of our gas power capacity".

Pretty sure you can get the wind energy forecast for the grid too, so you could even tell people when there was next likely to be enough wind power that they could do the laundry.
    What's so absurd is that a fair number of people could at least be expected to understand the issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Yes, exactly. The power companies already do the forecasting - just need make them public with a bit of advice stuck on. You could even write (Matt Hancock voice) an app.

Maybe OFGEM will do something, but if they do, I'd bet their attempt will be rubbish.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

the Conservative Club in Liz Truss' home town has warned members that its long term existence is "dubious".

Officials at Downham Market and Clackclose Conservative Club said rising costs had put its future in doubt….

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local-council/downham-market-conservative-club-rising-energy-bills-9311370

It's growing towards not existing

How sad

Said nobody
    Well - I know quite a few who would be upset. That's the nature of the town. However, its membership trends extremely old (like much of the town and indeed most of the Cons)
    Con clubs are baffling beasts.
    It's astonishing that they're still going frankly. They are, at bottom, social clubs, and the political affiliation is almost incidental. My parents used to drink in one back in the 80s when pubs in the suburbs which exceeded the bog standard were rare beasts indeed. (I have been in the odd Con club as an adult and they are exactly the same, down to tye smell - albeit less smokey nowadays.) But the night out they offer - an evening watching a selection of adequate singers singing some lowest common denominator pop songs - how is there still a market for this? If I want mass market entertainment I have a telly and an internet at home. If I want conversation and conviviality I go somewhere without someone singing needlessly loudly at me. Who wants this? Clearly not nobody. But the market for it is surely receding.
    Con clubs do tend to continue to offer an oppprtunity for snooker, which was what initially took my Dad to our local Con club when I was small.
    Recently went back to one of the Con Clubs in Gosport for the first time in, ooh, thirty years? Much the same crowd as before, just much older.

I suspect it's part of a wider trend- all those neighborhood affiliations are growing old and few are refreshing. Churches, community associations... They're all struggling and probably dying.

Some of that is us finding our society elsewhere (like here), some of it is work and commuting taking up so much time. But ultimately, younger generations don't feel the somewhereness of their elders. And whilst that's probably a gain overall, we also lose something.
    Not all, some youth clubs are still popular and evangelical Pentecostal churches and mega churches are growing in attendance and cathedrals still generally get healthy congregations.

However joining most clubs, from golf clubs to Conservative clubs to bridge and bowls clubs to the horticultural society, to becoming a church warden or a local councillor is something people do most often when they are retired. When they no longer have to go to full time work and their children have left home and they have plenty of time on their hands.

That has and likely always will be the case
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,508
    Off topic, but cheering: "Combined with weapons taken during Russia’s retreat from Kyiv and other parts of northern Ukraine in April, these recent gains have turned Moscow into by far the largest supplier of heavy weapons for Ukraine, well ahead of the U.S. or other allies in sheer numbers, according to open-source intelligence analysts. Western-provided weapons, though, are usually more advanced and precise.

Ukraine has captured 460 Russian main battle tanks, 92 self-propelled howitzers, 448 infantry fighting vehicles, 195 armored fighting vehicles and 44 multiple-launch rocket systems, according to visual evidence compiled from social media and news reports from Oryx, an open-source intelligence consulting firm. The real number is likely higher as not every captured piece of equipment gets filmed."
    source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-s-new-offensive-is-fueled-by-captured-russian-weapons/ar-AA12CIDc?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=021d444ce8f2421dbb8f23e48be27609

(If you have a subscirption, you can read it at the WSJ, where it originated.)
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646

That sounds rather interesting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
    I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,306
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

What's so absurd is that a fair number of people could at least be expected to understand the issue.
    There's also good psychology that shows people feel better about a difficult situation if they are given some measure of control over it, so creating a sense of collective endeavour, that we can all do our bit to help get through a tricky winter, would make people feel less despondent.

The media really went for a couple of energy companies who tried to do something like this on their own, sending people warm socks in the post, and advice about star jumps to keep themselves warm - but in the absence of being able to magic up the missing natural gas, what else is there to be done (in the short term)? I'd guess that's what the government want to avoid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
    Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

There's also good psychology that shows people feel better about a difficult situation if they are given some measure of control over it, so creating a sense of collective endeavour, that we can all do our bit to help get through a tricky winter, would make people feel less despondent.

The media really went for a couple of energy companies who tried to do something like this on their own, sending people warm socks in the post, and advice about star jumps to keep themselves warm - but in the absence of being able to magic up the missing natural gas, what else is there to be done (in the short term)? I'd guess that's what the government want to avoid.
    It's odd cos people of my age -55 and above - remember the power strikes of the early 1970s - and water shortages. Government information campaigns. Share a bath and so on. And more recently the HIV/AIDS campaigns.

Maybe the newspapers are hostile cos they don't get the advertising money these days?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Constituency vote:

SNP 49%
    SLab 26%
    SCon 13%
    SLD 7%
    Grn 2%
    oth 2%

YG/Times 5 October
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The Cup Final and Derby on a Sunday??

Wash your mouth out.

Let's just have the coronation at Epsom.

Her Majesty would have loved the idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
    As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If they aren't in Westminster for it they should be watching the anointing of their new sovereign on television

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

I read the report yesterday: it seems pretty clear he was cheating on-line, but the evidence is more mixed for the IRL games.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Both Epsom Downs station and Tattenham Corner station are in London Travelcard Zone 6.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

I read the report yesterday: it seems pretty clear he was cheating on-line, but the evidence is more mixed for the IRL games.
    Plot for yet another "Mission Impossible" sequel?

"Jim, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to obtain special 'access' to a leading international Grand Master suspected of cheating in a very 'fundamental' way . . ."
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Even if only a quarter of the population bothered, it would still make a difference.

Just a traffic light system would do. A timeline marked in Green, Amber and Red.

I would guess the government don't want to admit that their 'price freeze' hasn't actually solved the problem.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Both Epsom Downs station and Tattenham Corner station are in London Travelcard Zone 6.
    Quite. Think what the London termini will be like. They didn't try to combine the funeral with the Boat Race.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If they aren't in Westminster for it they should be watching the anointing of their new sovereign on television

What happens if God is busy on 3 June?

• Options
    kjh said:

That sounds rather interesting.
    It is a classic from an Australian Dairy* too:

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/aussie-burger/

Beetroot, pineapple, runny fried egg, fried onions, cheese, bacon, tomato, lettuce oh, and a substantial burger.

*in small Australian towns these are combination shops, petrol stations and diners. It is the place to have your burger "with the lot".
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

What, it is impossible to say that two female PMs separated by a contemptibly useless male PM are also useless? I do love this very distinctive PB gammon dressed as wokery. No bad mouthing the laydeez in the mess, what?
    That would be a good point, were not Boris convincingly the most talented, intelligent, charismatic and election-winning of the three - May, Boris, Truss

Awkwardly, the shag-happy Etonian bombast-o-matic Boris is the best for quite a while, indeed I'd say the best Tory PM since Thatcher, and the best PM since Thatcher with the exception of Blair. Damn shame he couldn't get a grip on things
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?" :lol:
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've had wonderful hangi on the North Island.
    Is THAT what the kids are calling "it" these days?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Foxy said:
    Discharge the issue yet again.

Which can be translated very easily to the social care system and its near collapse thanks to decades of being ignored and swept under the carpet.

BOTH main parties are culpable on this one. Total failure of politicians.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

Saturday for coronation day means it is not a bank holiday day either is it
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Even if only a quarter of the population bothered, it would still make a difference.

Just a traffic light system would do. A timeline marked in Green, Amber and Red.

I would guess the government don't want to admit that their 'price freeze' hasn't actually solved the problem.
    Perhaps terrified of news companies leering at MP's bathrooms ventilation outlets and timing the minutes of steam coming out, and so on. Like with covid lockdowns.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

God is all eternal, every day for all time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

Saturday for coronation day means I is not a bank holiday day either is it
    If you think Charles II was popular, I wonder where you studied history. And God must have got confused about Charles III(A) as he inherited his divine right from his dad James VII and II, according to your theory.

Anointing is not relevant as kings become kings instantly.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Ranting about an imaginary ‘anti growth coalition’ is just an attempt to obscure the hard reality that the biggest brake on UK growth is Brexit - and that’s on the Tories.

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1577622048859365376?s=46&t=5Kxjv4OZxvW-sjpYRV8Img
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So looking forward to Charles confirming ex cathedra the judgment of his ancestor that Our Lord t--k it -p t-- a-se from John the d-sc-ple. The look on your face.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

What a load of utter rubbish and pathetic nonsense

Charles is of no interest to many in this country despite your weird way with words

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any

mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    As I say up thread it’s rotten scheduling - it’s changeover day after the Whit half term so lots of people will be travelling. Add in the cup final and the Derby and you wonder why they’d choose that day.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yeah but she might be getting her nails done - it’s a Saturday morning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

And in his Son manifestation, as queer as a clockwork orange.
  • Options

Ranting about an imaginary ‘anti growth coalition’ is just an attempt to obscure the hard reality that the biggest brake on UK growth is Brexit - and that’s on the Tories.

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1577622048859365376?s=46&t=5Kxjv4OZxvW-sjpYRV8Img

And Starmer rises above Sturgeon as he ends Indyref 2
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Discharge the issue yet again.

Which can be translated very easily to the social care system and its near collapse thanks to decades of being ignored and swept under the carpet.

BOTH main parties are culpable on this one. Total failure of politicians.

Horrible in the South West too:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1577000794603167745?t=tuComydpaniqr06dyajolg&s=19

But it's there are a number of others teetering on the edge:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1576484798486364160?t=MlwBa717VBjmn_4ct1Ecrg&s=19

So, what did our PM say about Social Care this morning? How is she to replace the funding from the NI surcharge.
This discussion has been closed.