Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A CON majority drops to a 17% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/uk-prepares-for-winter-blackouts-as-energy-rationing-campaign-discussed

'Ministers have stepped back from mooted plans to launch a public information campaign to encourage households to reduce their energy use this winter.

A campaign asking households to turn their thermostats down and use their dishwashers and washing machines at times when energy demand is lower have been discussed between the business department, energy companies and the network operator National Grid.

However, business department on Wednesday said there are now “no plans for the government to tell the public to reduce usage for the sake of our energy supplies”.'

Seems bonkers. An easy win for little cost.
    It’s the Nanny State, innit? Demonstrating that quaint notion that governments actually give a shit about their population. Furthermore, if energy use were curtailed then profits could be hit. We can’t be having that now, can we?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

Derby Day, unless it is moved.
    The Coronation will be over by
    2 30pm, the main race of the Derby does not start until 4 30pm
    There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
    They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
    I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
    Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
    As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If they aren't in Westminster for it they should be watching the anointing of their new sovereign on television

What happens if God is busy on 3 June?

God is all eternal, every day for all time
    In your view but others are available
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
    They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
    I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
    Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
    As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If they aren't in Westminster for it they should be watching the anointing of their new sovereign on television

Would you expect people to cancel holidays? Many will have flights and ferries booked on that day as it’s the end of Whit week
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any

mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    As I say up thread it’s rotten scheduling - it’s changeover day after the Whit half term so lots of people will be travelling. Add in the cup final and the Derby and you wonder why they’d choose that day.
    It's also a dilemma at a time of huge constraint on spending. If they go all cheapskate then HYUFD et al will be crying. But if they go all extravagant then it will not look good at all - especially when they deport all the new crop of beggars for the day and dump them in Skegness or Wolverhampton or somewhere.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Returns to find an argument has broken out over the Divine Right of Kings.

Well, it's an improvement on panty wetting over a nuclear holocaust, I suppose.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,218
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Was busy earlier when Truss' speech was on. A few good bits on her background catching up on iplayer but my goodness the delivery is awful and wooden.

It makes even IDS or May speeches seem like passionate oratory by comparison

Interesting how Liz Truss is the second female PM in a row to face the same types of criticisms.
    What, it is impossible to say that two female PMs separated by a contemptibly useless male PM are also useless? I do love this very distinctive PB gammon dressed as wokery. No bad mouthing the laydeez in the mess, what?
    That would be a good point, were not Boris convincingly the most talented, intelligent, charismatic and election-winning of the three - May, Boris, Truss

Awkwardly, the shag-happy Etonian bombast-o-matic Boris is the best for quite a while, indeed I'd say the best Tory PM since Thatcher, and the best PM since Thatcher with the exception of Blair. Damn shame he couldn't get a grip on things
    He was a shit and it infected the entire party. He spent all his precious political capital on peeing - parties, Paterson and Pincher. Then he hung around like a bad smell so the party spent the summer scratching it's arse while choosing a new leader rather than getting to grips with running the country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Would you expect people to cancel holidays? Many will have flights and ferries booked on that day as it’s the end of Whit week
    Oh, yes, their duty as grovelling, cringing subjects of the Tory Party.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    HYUFD said:

Not at all like Tory leaders over the past six years ...

• Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any

mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    As I say up thread it’s rotten scheduling - it’s changeover day after the Whit half term so lots of people will be travelling. Add in the cup final and the Derby and you wonder why they’d choose that day.
    My guess is that, like being called George VII, the coronation date was chosen decades ago and it is only now that people can see it is not practicable. Like Trussonomics and Brexit, come to think of it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477

It was suggested upthread that I would put kiwifruit on a pizza, which is a vile smear.

Nobody in NZ would do this.

On the other hand, you can get something called a “kiwi burger”, which is like a normal beef burger but includes a fried egg and beetroot.

If I’m honest, it’s not actually very good.

Kiwifruit is too mild in flavour, and too mushy.

Pineapple works due to strong flavour and texture, just as it does on gammon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

Saturday for coronation day means I is not a bank holiday day either is it
    If you think Charles II was popular, I wonder where you studied history. And God must have got confused about Charles III(A) as he inherited his divine right from his dad James VII and II, according to your theory.

Anointing is not relevant as kings become kings instantly.
    Charles II certainly was popular, there was not a single revolt of any significance in his reign.

God divinely ordained that William III would succeed James II and the Jacobite rebellions would be crushed. There never was a Charles III until this one, only a Pretender. Kings may become King on the death of the previous monarch but they are not formally anointed by God until the coronation
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Well, the clue is in the name ...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/05/uk-prepares-for-winter-blackouts-as-energy-rationing-campaign-discussed

'Ministers have stepped back from mooted plans to launch a public information campaign to encourage households to reduce their energy use this winter.

A campaign asking households to turn their thermostats down and use their dishwashers and washing machines at times when energy demand is lower have been discussed between the business department, energy companies and the network operator National Grid.

However, business department on Wednesday said there are now “no plans for the government to tell the public to reduce usage for the sake of our energy supplies”.'

It’s the Nanny State, innit? Demonstrating that quaint notion that governments actually give a shit about their population. Furthermore, if energy use were curtailed then profits could be hit. We can’t be having that now, can we?
    Highlights why making JRM a Cabinet minister was and is such a dumb idea.

Even if there is a non-malign reasoning behind this, it doesn't matter.

Rees-Mogg is such a self-parodic cartoon capitalist villan (even to a lot of Conservatives), that most of us will assume the worst of the government's motivation.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Was busy earlier when Truss' speech was on. A few good bits on her background catching up on iplayer but my goodness the delivery is awful and wooden.

Interesting how Liz Truss is the second female PM in a row to face the same types of criticisms.
    What, it is impossible to say that two female PMs separated by a contemptibly useless male PM are also useless? I do love this very distinctive PB gammon dressed as wokery. No bad mouthing the laydeez in the mess, what?
    That would be a good point, were not Boris convincingly the most talented, intelligent, charismatic and election-winning of the three - May, Boris, Truss

Awkwardly, the shag-happy Etonian bombast-o-matic Boris is the best for quite a while, indeed I'd say the best Tory PM since Thatcher, and the best PM since Thatcher with the exception of Blair. Damn shame he couldn't get a grip on things
    He was crap. The alternate universe version of Boris Johnson who could master himself might not have been crap, but in this universe he didn't exist. The crap one did.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

I thought Liz Truss was anointed by God?

• Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They certainly should, coronation day should take precedence over whatever else Charles' subjects may wish to do on that day
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    MattW said:

It was suggested upthread that I would put kiwifruit on a pizza, which is a vile smear.

On the other hand, you can get something called a “kiwi burger”, which is like a normal beef burger but includes a fried egg and beetroot.

Also pineapple is an excellent meat tenderiser, and the acid esterifies the fat of the ham, producing a synthesis of flavour.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

If you think Charles II was popular, I wonder where you studied history. And God must have got confused about Charles III(A) as he inherited his divine right from his dad James VII and II, according to your theory.

Charles II certainly was popular, there was not a single revolt of any significance in his reign.

God divinely ordained that William III would succeed James II and the Jacobite rebellions would be crushed. There never was a Charles III until this one, only a Pretender. Kings may become King on the death of the previous monarch but they are not formally anointed by God until the coronation
    You see, you were obviously off with glandular fever when Charles II came up in the course. That is simply not true. There was ongoing warfare in Scotland thanks to the Crown's policy, for a start.

• Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

What a load of utter rubbish and pathetic nonsense

Charles is of no interest to many in this country despite your weird way with words

It's not just the crowds for the Coronation - it's also the umpteen VIPs.

Charles will be fine as King.

The most worrying thing I have seen so far is Little Miss Dotty missing the concept of "above politics", and 'advising' him not to go to the Green Conference in Egypt.

Then if I followed correctly, saying that she had done no such thing.

That tactic will help undermine UK soft power.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Charles is of no interest to many in this country despite your weird way with words

I am not interested in your disloyal treachery to your Sovereign King BigG
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184
    MattW said:

Quite right.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps it was Satan, in another one of his bets with God (see the book of Job)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

My guess is that, like being called George VII, the coronation date was chosen decades ago and it is only now that people can see it is not practicable. Like Trussonomics and Brexit, come to think of it.
    Buckingham Palace dismisses June 3 date for Charles’s coronation as ‘purely speculation'
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/buckingham-palace-dismisses-june-3-date-charles-coronation-speculation/

And there we have it. Or not, in this case.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They certainly should, coronation day should take

precedence over whatever else Charles' subjects may wish to do on that day
    You’re playing it for laughs now, fair play

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So looking forward to Charles confirming ex cathedra the judgment of his ancestor that Our Lord t--k it -p t-- a-se from John the d-sc-ple. The look on your face.
    So looking forward to you being struck by lightning
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,218
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They certainly should, coronation day should take precedence over whatever else Charles' subjects may wish to do on that day
    why we didn't vote for the fuck
  • Options

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

No Liz Truss is merely the sovereigns chief minister for a temporary period, becoming more temporary by the day at the moment
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It does seem a bit bonkers given that with the energy cap it is future taxpayers that are taking the risk here and not the utilities.

Perhaps one of the Covid dashboard people would like to step in and create a simplified "shall I turn on the washing machine" website using the publicly available information?

I know we have gridwatch but it is a bit on the geeky side.
    Liz Truss doesn't care about future generations. She just wants to ensure old c**** feel as though they can do what they want at any time and not feel the consequences of policies that have stripped the nation of its wealth to feed their pensions and healthcare.

We should have let COVID run it's course properly. It was nature's way of clearing out the old and fat and we spent hundreds of billions to save these ungrateful fucks.
    The correct response to the rich elderly trougher problem is the appropriate taxation of property and inheritances. I fear that Labour will decline to go down this route, because the rich elderly troughers are too significant a proportion of the electorate and peeling a large number of them off the Tories is crucial to turning a victory into a rout, but I stand to be corrected by the course of events.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

Nothing to do with Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

I once persuaded a former girlfriend that the black seeds in a kiwi fruit are poisonous.

Watching somebody perform micro-surgery on one was a cruel, cruel thing to witness. Still makes me laugh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So looking forward to Charles confirming ex cathedra the judgment of his ancestor that Our Lord t--k it -p t-- a-se from John the d-sc-ple. The look on your face.
    Now that is not on. Not least because it is itself a profound sin to assume that someone else is damned.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

Is the PM anointed? That would be interesting.

I'm sure the ABC or a Chaplain would do it if requested, as it is a practice in the CoE, but it would very likely be a private or impromptu ceremony and not acknowledged publicly.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You see, you were obviously off with glandular fever when Charles II came up in the course. That is simply not true. There was ongoing warfare in Scotland thanks to the Crown's policy, for a start.

No there wasn't, Scots even fought with Prince Charles against Cromwell.

There was no war in Charles II reign with the Scots, only the Dutch
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So what, he is your divinely ordained Lord and Sovereign you oik!
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

Nothing to do with Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Ah, I must have misheard

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There is no god. So you can forget the "divine" stuff.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

There was no war in Charles II reign with the Dutch, only the Scots
    Now you really are getting me worried about your history teaching. Ever heard of Rullion Green, Bothwell Bridge, Drumclog, Four Days, Medway Raid?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh there most certainly is and he will formally anoint Charles as our King at the coronation
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited October 2022

Ranting about an imaginary ‘anti growth coalition’ is just an attempt to obscure the hard reality that the biggest brake on UK growth is Brexit - and that’s on the Tories.

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1577622048859365376?s=46&t=5Kxjv4OZxvW-sjpYRV8Img

And Starmer rises above Sturgeon as he ends Indyref 2
    At least you've moved on from fantasising about SLab being ahead of the SNP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh there most certainly is and he will formally anointed Charles as our King at the coronation
    The Archbish is divine? I'm sure the Very Rev Welby will be most surprised.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

Well, Tory leaders being shyte seems to have become an abiding verity.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They make even IDS or May speeches seem like passionate oratory by comparison

The problem you have is the toxic behaviour of your hero Johnson has plunged the party into this existential crisis, to which you are part of the problem as you are one of many different factions pulling each other apart in a deathly embrace

The party is heading to oblivion and to be honest it only has itself to blame and you are part of the problem

I have no sympathy and await PM Starmer
    Bye then, I always said you would go back to Labour as you did under Blair, no surprise there
    Is this supposed to be an insult?
    It is the doctrine of purity which questions even the premise that you are not tribal and can think for yourself

@HYUFD has this strange attitude that anyone voting for another party is a traitor to the cause even though it was in the country's best interests

Mind you do not ask how he came to vote for Plaid as that is not counted
    He's voted for Plaid? That's quite amazing.
    I voted for every Tory candidate on the town council ballot paper ie 4. However I had 6 votes and on principle always use all my votes
    Quite right! At our last local election, STV, we had the choice of 12 candidates for 5 councillors. I voted for both Conservatives - in 11th and 12th places.
    11th place really was the lesser of two weevils, then?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 934
    Leon said:

I will give you 'charismatic' and 'election-winning' for sure, but they don't make you a good PM -- they just make you good at getting the job of PM. He may have been also 'intelligent' and 'talented' but he didn't exactly exercise either attribute sufficiently in the job for that to be easy to judge...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh there most certainly is and he will formally anoint Charles as our King at the coronation
    I cannot help it if you believe in the sky-fairy.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    I'm looking forward to the coronation. Going to be chaos up here, multiple elaborate heists to try and nab the Stone from Edinburgh castle.
  • Options

I’m more shocked that despite the Tories being crap, still pretty split in terms of Indy

Would suggest Starmer would be very happy with that. Sturgeon dominating still but sort of stuck. Fascinating

Not shocked at all. Scottish public opinion has been split more or less down the middle on secession going at least as far back as the 2014 vote. If nothing else that has happened since - neither Brexit, nor Covid, nor Boris Johnson, nor eight years for elderly Unionists to shuffle off and be replaced by newly-minted teen voters - has managed to shift it decisively, then why should a few weeks' exposure to the latest Toryshambles make any difference? More fundamental forces are at work.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Now you really are getting me worried about your history teaching. Ever heard of Rullion Green, Bothwell Bridge, Drumclog, Four Days, Medway Raid?
    No apart from the latter 2 which were with the Dutch not the Scots.

The rest seem to be some minor skirmishes with Covenantors finally trounced at Bothwell Bridge
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184
    Krugman in the NYT: high interest rates probably temporary

https://archive.ph/V4lvS
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 934
    rcs1000 said:

I read the report yesterday: it seems pretty clear he was cheating on-line, but the evidence is more mixed for the IRL games.

I think if somebody's cheating online it rather increases my prior that they're also cheating IRL if they think they can get away with it...

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Eabhal said:

I'm looking forward to the coronation. Going to be chaos up here, multiple elaborate heists to try and nab the Stone from Edinburgh castle.

Oh, they'll be moving the cesspit lid down in good time. It's more secure in the castle than in the cathedral, though!

Edit: apparently it's needed for the full divine right mana to connect properly. Amazing what mediaeval monastic sewerage can do.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
    We don't vote for our monarch that is the whole point, God anoints them for us as confirmed by Parliament
  • Options

Ranting about an imaginary ‘anti growth coalition’ is just an attempt to obscure the hard reality that the biggest brake on UK growth is Brexit - and that’s on the Tories.

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1577622048859365376?s=46&t=5Kxjv4OZxvW-sjpYRV8Img

Swing of 6% from SNP to SLAB still on tonight's polling
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Shortcut to Heaven for a devout Anglican like me.

I am really perplexed here. You presumably accept that James VI and I was the Head of the Church, you can take it from me that he was a great scholar and theologian (and the KJ in KJV should be an additional clue), but you presume to overrule his express judgment that Christ was a practising, physical homosexual. Why?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The rest seem to be some minor skirmishes with Covenantors finally trounced at Bothwell Bridge
    The Scottish battles were part of a much wider campaign of harassment and occupation that did a huge amount to turn Scots from Episcopalianism.

And as for the Durtch battles, you have me all confused. You said just now "There was no war in Charles II reign with the Dutch".
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

What happened to the quartet of students who stole/repatriated it in the 1950s?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What was the swing on the indy polling?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The Scottish battles were part of a much wider campaign of harassment and occupation that did a huge amount to turn Scots from Episcopalianism.

And as for the Durtch battles, you have me all confused. You said just now "There was no war in Charles II reign with the Dutch".
    Most Scots were Presbyterian before anyway. The battles were no more than skirmishes
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Eabhal said:

Didn't get prosecuted. Too many cans of worms, not least who actually owned it. One died only recently, Ian Hamilton.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

As far as I am concerned he is just another member of the Royal family and I have no intention of looking on him as anything other than any other human being

• Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

It's still miles off though. It all depends if there is a waterfall swing where loads of SNP seats fall to Labour, but I can't see any evidence of one existing.

At the moment, it would be the SNP eating up the Tories in rural areas like Moray and Labour making a few modest gains in the central belt. SNP still pretty solid.
  • Options

It is coming mark my words
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988

Scott_xP said:

This is actually mind-boggling. Neither of these images is fake. Liz Truss was literally wearing today what the tyrannical populist leader played by Emma Thompson in *Years and Years* wore, right down to the shoulder-detail, belt and collar. Just a different shade. How? Why? https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1577649652597334017

Her dresser is intent on destroying her?
    No conspiracy here - its just an off the peg Karen Millen bog standard dress! I have it in black :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
    We don't vote for our monarch that is the whole point, God anoints them for us as confirmed by Parliament
    Unelected and undemocratic.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
    Hang on.
    If God anoints them what power does Parliament have to prevent it?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

It's still miles off though. It all depends if there is a waterfall swing where loads of SNP seats fall to Labour, but I can't see any evidence of one existing.

At the moment, it would be the SNP eating up the Tories in rural areas like Moray and Labour making a few modest gains in the central belt. SNP still pretty solid.
    Yes, I think so.

SLAB is a species that we never get on PB. It would be useful to hear from one from time to time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Most Scots were Presbyterian before anyway. The battles were no more than skirmishes
    When standing armies barely existed? It was a major concern and caused a great deal of state oppression. Ofx course you don't like to admit it, but it contributed enormously to Janes VII's divine right being thrown away and flushed down the cesspit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

As Dave Allen used to say 'may your God go with you' and there are many beliefs and none and each has a right to be respected
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I think so.

SLAB is a species that we never get on PB. It would be useful to hear from one from time to time.
    I vote SLAB but wouldn't call myself one, if that makes sense. I'm probably a Lib Dem at heart.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

As far as I am concerned he is just another member of the Royal family and I have no intention of looking on him as anything other than any other human being

If you continue with this disrespect to the anointing of our divinely ordained sovereign BigG, I will personally come up to North Wales on coronation day.

I will ensure you watch it on TV then force you to partake in your nearest street party, complete with pointy hat, union flag, cake, jelly and custard!!
  • Options

I yield to your rock solid track record on predictions Scottish.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Didn't get prosecuted. Too many cans of worms, not least who actually owned it. One died only recently, Ian Hamilton.
    As it has no owner other than God (?) I guess it’s removal cannot be punished with earthly measures. Maybe some believed it was God’s will to return it to Scotland?

• Options

I don't think it's baked in. It's not "coming".

However, there is a chance it all blows up for the SNP around Indyref2, the supreme court decision etc. I'd give that a 5% chance.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

When standing armies barely existed? It was a major concern and caused a great deal of state oppression. Ofx course you don't like to admit it, but it contributed enormously to Janes VII's divine right being thrown away and flushed down the cesspit.
    Yet plenty of Scottish Roman Catholics were only too happy to support James and his heirs in trying to regain the throne and impose Popish bishopry!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I don't think it's baked in. It's not "coming".

However, there is a chance it all blows up for the SNP around Indyref2, the supreme court decision etc. I'd give that a 5% chance.
    I know but it is good to worry SNP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yet plenty of Scottish Roman Catholics were only too happy to support James and his heirs in trying to regain the throne and impose Popish bishopry!
    Buit the wars restarted when Charles II reimposed episcopacy and then signed up to the RCs. Unfair to blame James VII for the whole thing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
    Hang on.
    As far as I am aware, anointing involves pouring smelly oils over the anointee's head. Perhaps Parliament could confirm it by having the oil tested in a govt approved laboratory?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

"Who voted for this?"
    Hang on.
    He doesn't. It's the Archbish. Parliament just tells the A of C to clear off.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Does anyone have the absolute figures for the Favourability figures. Interested to see how big the DKs are for Starmer.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

As it has no owner other than God (?) I guess it’s removal cannot be punished with earthly measures. Maybe some believed it was God’s will to return it to Scotland?

Probably right, re ownership, as it is a mediaeval abbey's sewer manhole cover anyway, stolen by Longshanks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you continue with this disrespect to the anointing of our divinely ordained sovereign BigG, I will personally come up to North Wales on coronation day.

I will ensure you watch it on TV then force you to partake in your nearest street party, complete with pointy hat, union flag, cake, jelly and custard!!
    Really - you and how many tanks

In all seriousness you are making a complete fool of yourself
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Desperately sad. If these conscripts make it to the front the Ukr army will simply wipe them out or if they are lucky take them prisoner.

Has there ever been a more self-destructive, self-inflicted disaster war than Putin's? Ethopia?

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    51m
    Jesus, the mobilization goes worse than the cliche about the terrible mobilization.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1577752174137954306
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Really - you and how many tanks

In all seriousness you are making a complete fool of yourself
    I'd like to know how he can claim that Charles II was never at war with the Dutch. I wouldn't get a History O level with that level of error.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

JACK_W said:

HYUFD said:

God’s not totally infallible, then.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

He was crap. The alternate universe version of Boris Johnson who could master himself might not have been crap, but in this universe he didn't exist. The crap one did.
    Yes, the man who spent a lifetime imagining himself as the new Churchill whilst holding no principles or beliefs whatsoever beyond believing in his own advancement
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Game over

• Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Carnyx now misleading about my posts
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    The Anti-Growth Coalition is too clunky.

We need one word to describe these Enemies of the People.

How about "Kulaks"?

Goes with the tenor of the times too.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No, I'm not. You said

"There was no war in Charles II reign with the Dutch, only the Scots." See my post of 9.36 pm

You've been going back and editing your posts ... see youts of 9.33, edited at 9.38 after I pointed out your crass error.

• Options
    It’s hard to believe that Americans suddenly decide that they need a lawyer, or choose their particular lawyer, whilst driving along the motorway out of town, but the many individual lawyers advertising their prowess on giant pole-mounted billboards alongside their smiling mugshot suggests that many do.

I liked the guy claiming to be a “genuine Philly lawyer” who also included in his poster a photo, presumably of one of his competitors, who he named and claimed he wasn’t a genuine local lawyer as he spent most of his time at his home in Florida - now there’s a guy who must have checked his facts!
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Last!
This discussion has been closed.