Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority now a 32% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    The Tories have trashed their economic competence angle.

They've lost the next election, entirely unforced.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:
    Superb bathos. Chapeau the scriptwriter

AND THEN CAME THE ASIAN HORNETS
    If they kill all our bees off

FAMINE
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    eek said:

*BOE SAYS IT PURCHASED £1.025B OF GILTS IN BUYING OPERATION

Is that all? I am not confident that point is in the right place.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    edited September 2022
    If USS uni pension scheme collapses thanks to Trussonomics, then I think I am right in thinking it takes down the entire university sector with it under the last man standing system.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    mwadams said:

I don't see any mechanism for an orderly retreat from the Trussterfuck. A new leadership campaign is unthinkable, just a few working days (allowing for the mourning period) after the previous one, and at a time of multiple crises, not all of which are Liz Truss's fault. Even if it were thinkable, what guarantee is there that the outcome would be any better, even in the unlikely event that Tory MPs could agree even in broad terms on what 'better' would be? It's not as though there's a wonderful candidate who somehow got missed out last time.

And even if they somehow managed to get round all that, there's still the problem of what any replacement Tory government would actually do. There are going to have to be huge spending increases, and therefore tax increases, just to stand still. Is the party actually ready to face this reality - let alone the other realities of the Northern Ireland Protocol and the economic disaster which is Brexit?

Demoralised, exhausted, divided, out of ideas, chained to an insane ideology, the party is not going to unite behind a new leader setting a new direction anytime. It will be many years, if ever, before they are in a state where some future David Cameron can come along and drag them into the real, modern, world again.

An interesting corollary of the current crop of MPs knowing that the jig is up. How many decide not to defend their seats at the next election and line up alternative employment now, from a position of comparative strength?

Or are there financial advantages to losing?
    I think if you stand and lose you get a redundancy payment?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    The government really needs to come down heavily against mixed gender toilets in department stores

AND THEY NEED TO DO IT TODAY

Dead cat::table
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Talking about talking about financial markets talk about volatility! Dow at 100bps intraday swings it's pretty brutal. Although nice if you are long vol.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

The Tories have trashed their economic competence angle.

They've lost the next election, entirely unforced.

They were going to lose it anyway... but they've probably turned a narrow loss into an absolutely shellacking. Unforced.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

FAMINE
    The Sun
    @TheSun
    Mysterious signal from deep space flashes Earth 2,000 times within 2 months
  • Options
    Leon said:

The government really needs to come down heavily against mixed gender toilets in department stores

AND THEY NEED TO DO IT TODAY

Dead cat::table

They are already on it. There won't be any department stores in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

FAMINE
    It's the fucking Royal Bee Whisperer

He went and told the bees the Queen was dead, and then they went and told the hornets, and they thought: perfect time to attack, Britain is in turmoil

AND HERE THEY ARE

Arrest the Royal Bee Whisperer
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

I don't see any mechanism for an orderly retreat from the Trussterfuck. A new leadership campaign is unthinkable, just a few working days (allowing for the mourning period) after the previous one, and at a time of multiple crises, not all of which are Liz Truss's fault. Even if it were thinkable, what guarantee is there that the outcome would be any better, even in the unlikely event that Tory MPs could agree even in broad terms on what 'better' would be? It's not as though there's a wonderful candidate who somehow got missed out last time.

And even if they somehow managed to get round all that, there's still the problem of what any replacement Tory government would actually do. There are going to have to be huge spending increases, and therefore tax increases, just to stand still. Is the party actually ready to face this reality - let alone the other realities of the Northern Ireland Protocol and the economic disaster which is Brexit?

Demoralised, exhausted, divided, out of ideas, chained to an insane ideology, the party is not going to unite behind a new leader setting a new direction anytime. It will be many years, if ever, before they are in a state where some future David Cameron can come along and drag them into the real, modern, world again.

If the Tories had any sense, they would use whatever procedural games are necessary to bin Truss, and install Wallace as an honest figurehead PM, and Sunak as Chancellor. He at least knows the ropes and has half a chance of commanding market confidence.

Forget uniting; they need to sort out the mess and worry about the future of party some other time. Otherwise it doesn't have one.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited September 2022
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Some background reading on what happened today

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m
    So pension funds might have gone bust today without BoE help, as we said in this thread

The actual trigger for Bank action, I'm told, is that apparently all LDI managers wrote to BoE today

What are LDI managers, you ask?

Well... read this

https://bondvigilantes.com/blog/2022/09/collateral-calls/

You have to be up the creek if everyone is writing to the BoE...

Only 3-4 months ago our actuaries tried hard to persuade us that we should proceed with LDIs as a way of reducing risk and volatility for the pension fund I am a trustee of. I am so glad that we declined. It is perhaps a little simplistic but I personally could not understand why anyone who had watched The Big Short could accept that using derivatives in that way reduced risk. Whenever someone tries to tell you that this reduces risk and potentially also improves performance it is time to be deeply cautious.
    The old wisdom of course is that if you don't understand it there is probably a catch. I still think that.

Despite efforts I still don't understand how QE, or the BoE buying its own government's bonds, is in fact anything other than either transferring funds from the left pocket to to the right, or, much worse, printing money in excessive quantities.

And, BTW, if printing money is what QE is, why not just stick £X000 into everyone's account (as with gas bills) rather than do something lacking direct impact.

It is just printing money and the Bank has gone back into the printing business big time this afternoon. All those long dated gilts that they bought to stabilise that market came from newly created money (thankfully they don't have to print it because they couldn't keep up). The liquidity they are providing to pension funds likewise.

The problem is that the first couple of times we did this we seemed to get away with it. We kept everything going with QE in 2008 and following. We "borrowed" or more accurately created roughly £400bn to pay for Covid. So much less painful than raising taxes or cutting spending. We were promising to do the same again to pay the gas meter. And, not just here, right around the world the markets have said: enough. If fiat currencies other than the almighty dollar are to be debauched in this way then they will be priced accordingly. Hence inflation.
    If you're right, then the magic money tree is being pruned (at best) or cut down (at worst). What does that mean for a prospective Labour government? Taxes are already at historic high levels. How do they raise money to pay for even more stuff?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Driver said:

mwadams said:

An interesting corollary of the current crop of MPs knowing that the jig is up. How many decide not to defend their seats at the next election and line up alternative employment now, from a position of comparative strength?

Seems you are right. Amounts to about 45k.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Betting Post (since that's what we're here for):

I’ve detached myself from the hullabaloo to take a look at the Next PM market and who I’m wondering about is Kwasi Kwarteng at 60s. Ok, he’s only just become Chancellor but the same went for John Major when Mrs Thatcher was toppled. Also, and maybe with more resonance since it’s so recent, think back a couple of months ago to the saga of Nadim Zahawi and Boris Johnson. Zahawi was made Chancellor by Johnson then THE VERY NEXT DAY he announced his benefactor had to go and threw his own hat into the ring as a replacement. Incredible behaviour, yes, but Tory politicians – indeed Tories generally - are often like this. They are amoral and ruthless. So, with Truss in all sorts of trouble, looking overmatched by this crisis and lightweight, will Kwarteng put loyalty in a jar and strike? I don’t know but 60s is too big imho.

He's certainly ticking that all so necessary incompetent buffoon box. But maybe just a little too enthusiastically, even for the Tories.
  • Options

Truss could call a General Election, it would be a service to the Nation.
    Interestingly, one of the Laschelle's principles is definitely ticked: the economy is utterly fucked.

• Options
    mwadams said:

I'm sure there will be lots of Tory MPs polishing their CVs and ringing round their contacts as we speak.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

If USS uni pension scheme collapses thanks to Trussonomics, then I think I am right in thinking it takes down the entire university sector with it under the last man standing system.

Any defined benefit schemes still in existence collapsed decades ago. All that is left is those pretending they can fulfill whatever obligations they have left.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    Hurricane Ian continues to undergo rapid intensification even as it hits land in SW Florida. Looks like it is category 5 now.

We're looking at one of the most violent hurricane landfalls in recent history I think. The doomsday scenario of huge storm surge in Tampa Bay has been avoided but it's not gong to be pretty.

Apparently 165mph winds recently recorded in SE eyewall. Look at the thing:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/9030d3c9f3d180e4e8afd5dbade04eaff8b90b43ce9b073fec0625279135806b.jpg
  • Options

I'm washing my hands of the party for good now.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    edited September 2022

Truss could call a General Election, it would
    be a service to the Nation.
    She will be in the unique position of seeing off and burying two of the country’s longest serving powers that be, HMQ and the Tory Party. Her place in history is assured.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    Chancellor going nowhere, his team says. No10 say flat no to recalling Parliament and both Kwarteng and Truss are focused on delivering their economic plan with supply side reforms "coming fast" in next couple of weeks. Doubling down in wake of BoE today.
    https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1575147986505666564
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited September 2022
    Driver said:

mwadams said:

Other way round, I believe.

An unusual examplke of real life obtruding into MP's lives. When my dept was downsized some of us found ourselves in levels/units with 1 or more persons surplus.

Volunteer for redundo = get full package. Everyone else settles down.
    Try to get job and compete for it = less package if you failed the application. (Logical, as it hassled everyone and wasted time.) And zero if you changed your mind and resigned.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Scott_xP said:

Chancellor going nowhere, his team says. No10 say flat no to recalling Parliament and both Kwarteng and Truss are focused on delivering their economic plan with supply side reforms "coming fast" in next couple of weeks. Doubling down in wake of BoE today.

Is there no way the Speaker can force Parliament to be recalled?
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m
    So pension funds might have gone bust today without BoE help, as we said in this thread

The actual trigger for Bank action, I'm told, is that apparently all LDI managers wrote to BoE today

Well... read this

Only 3-4 months ago our actuaries tried hard to persuade us that we should proceed with LDIs as a way of reducing risk and volatility for the pension fund I am a trustee of. I am so glad that we declined. It is perhaps a little simplistic but I personally could not understand why anyone who had watched The Big Short could accept that using derivatives in that way reduced risk. Whenever someone tries to tell you that this reduces risk and potentially also improves performance it is time to be deeply cautious.
    The old wisdom of course is that if you don't understand it there is probably a catch. I still think that.

Despite efforts I still don't understand how QE, or the BoE buying its own government's bonds, is in fact anything other than either transferring funds from the left pocket to to the right, or, much worse, printing money in excessive quantities.

And, BTW, if printing money is what QE is, why not just stick £X000 into everyone's account (as with gas bills) rather than do something lacking direct impact.

It is just printing money and the Bank has gone back into the printing business big time this afternoon. All those long dated gilts that they bought to stabilise that market came from newly created money (thankfully they don't have to print it because they couldn't keep up). The liquidity they are providing to pension funds likewise.

The problem is that the first couple of times we did this we seemed to get away with it. We kept everything going with QE in 2008 and following. We "borrowed" or more accurately created roughly £400bn to pay for Covid. So much less painful than raising taxes or cutting spending. We were promising to do the same again to pay the gas meter. And, not just here, right around the world the markets have said: enough. If fiat currencies other than the almighty dollar are to be debauched in this way then they will be priced accordingly. Hence inflation.
    If you're right, then the magic money tree is being pruned (at best) or cut down (at worst). What does that mean for a prospective Labour government? Taxes are already at historic high levels. How do they raise money to pay for even more stuff?
    The next 10 years may well make the so called "austerity" of the decade after 2008 look like paradise.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    boulay said:

She will be in the unique position of seeing off and burying two of the country’s longest serving powers that be, HMQ and the Tory Party. Her place in history is assured.

The monarchy and Tory party will survive even if Truss doesn't
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m

Well... read this

Sam Coates made this point the other night. Dermot Murnaghan asked him something like "presumably Labour are pretty happy with the state of things?" (maybe not quite those words, but you get the idea) and Coates said "Labour want to come into power to spend money" (or words to that effect).

It was refreshing to hear a political commentator make such a point.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

No, it's purely at the request of the government.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/occasions/recallparliament/

(Edit: if the government requests it, the Speaker can say no - but if the government doesn't request it, he can't initiate it.)
  • Options

So my holiday is now increasing the stress tests on our firm and the wider banking and financial services industry.

I've added every possible worse case scenario, including nuclear war in Europe, and nothing is quite as bad as what Truss and Kwarteng have done.

That BoE statement, there's absolutely no way the government can delay the spending review until November.

There's no way they can delay their dual resignation beyond 6pm tonight.

Or there shouldn't be.

Thoughts and prayers to her father who utterly hates her politics and must be torn whether to laugh or cry.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

Apparently not
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Betting Post (since that's what we're here for):

I’ve detached myself from the hullabaloo to take a look at the Next PM market and who I’m wondering about is Kwasi Kwarteng at 60s. Ok, he’s only just become Chancellor but the same went for John Major when Mrs Thatcher was toppled. Also, and maybe with more resonance since it’s so recent, think back a couple of months ago to the saga of Nadim Zahawi and Boris Johnson. Zahawi was made Chancellor by Johnson then THE VERY NEXT DAY he announced his benefactor had to go and threw his own hat into the ring as a replacement. Incredible behaviour, yes, but Tory politicians – indeed Tories generally - are often like this. They are amoral and ruthless. So, with Truss in all sorts of trouble, looking overmatched by this crisis and lightweight, will Kwarteng put loyalty in a jar and strike? I don’t know but 60s is too big imho.

He's certainly ticking that all so necessary incompetent buffoon box. But maybe just a little too enthusiastically, even for the Tories.
    Maybe we do need to be more fearful of the Russian army - if one “AK47” can do this much damage to the country…
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Government sources say there are no plans for Liz Truss to comment publicly today on the turmoil in financial markets
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1575142490000302080

What would she say anyway? "That. Is. A. Disgrace"?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m

Well... read this

The next 10 years may well make the so called "austerity" of the decade after 2008 look like paradise.
    I think it was @another_richard who said:

2000s = party decade
    2010s = throwing up decade
    2020s = cleaning up the mess decade
  • Options
    They need to put a costed plan out asap. That is what people need. The 45% is a red herring and was probably put in there to troll the Guardian.

People need to see how it's going to be paid for.

Betting bit: if they come out with something half decent (and why wouldn't they) then Cable goes to 1.15. If nothing else just with relief that they aren't going to fire up the helicopters.
  • Options
    Treasury Financial Sec Andrew Griffith rejects the idea the slide in £ and rise in gilt yield is the govt's fault, telling @SkyNews: 'We are seeing the same impact of Putin's war... every major economy is dealing with exactly the same issues'
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1575146887455334400
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

dont worry. now sterling has fallen we can hope to export more of our own hornets.
  • Options

Depends, if the next Labour government leads to strikes, high inflation and high interest rates and high taxes there would swiftly be a swing to the new Tory Leader of the Opposition however bad a defeat Truss has led the party to.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    On the premise that all politics are local we are back to a full local by-election show tomorrow, There are Con defences in Newark and Sherwood and Rossendale (x2), Lib Dem defences in Harborough and Warrington (x2), a Lab defence in Oxford, a PC defence in Rhondda Cynan Taf, and an Ind defence in Argyll and Bute. I was expecting changes even before the last few days - now expect a Tory wipe-out.
  • Options
    boulay said:

That's too slow.
    We need a change by next week.
    1. Red Wall Tories defect en masse to Labour.
    2. Blue Wall Tories defect en masse to Lib Dems (or form their own party).
    3. Government of National Unity formed with Sir Keir at head.
    4. New election planned for next year.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

Will you be voting Lab or Lib next time Richard? (genuinely interested)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Some hard realities for the Government to face up to here. https://twitter.com/TimPitt11/status/1575136874062139392

They could really do with getting Osborne back to help with this. His experience would be invaluable.
    He's not coming back.

The party wouldn't let him enact the policies required.
    Sacking Tom Scholar on the first morning looks like a DefCon 1 level feck up now doesn't it.
  • Options

Perhaps now's the time for a new party, with a maroon logo in honour of its spiritual father David Cameron.
  • Options

Again? If Truss is so bad why aren't you hanging around to help choose the next leader. Or will it be a coronation.

I don't see it myself. Truss & team is going nowhere.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647

Re: Asian Hornets, known in Pacific Northwest as Murder Hornets, personally blame the late QEII for her abject failure to curb this menace in her North American realm, aka Canada, thus creating a standing menace to WA State and the rest of USA.

For shame, Britannia!

Wrong type of Asian Hornet. You have the Giant Asian Hornet invading the USA. We have the common Asian Hornet invading the UK. It is harmless to humans and smaller than our native hornet. However it is harmful to honey bees which is why it needs reporting. Their appearance in the UK is very rare (not so Jersey as I found out from a previous discussion).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    TOPPING said:

They need to put a costed plan out asap. That is what people need. The 45% is a red herring and was probably put in there to troll the Guardian.

Betting bit: if they come out with something half decent (and why wouldn't they) then Cable goes to 1.15. If nothing else just with relief that they aren't going to fire up the helicopters.

There is no way they can bring out a costed plan that isn't a joke without either binning last Friday's changes and / or massive spending cuts....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with that. Though I'll be very suprised if both do. My money is on the C of E.
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m

Well... read this

And, BTW, if printing money is what QE is, why not just stick £X000 into everyone's account (as with gas bills)
    rather than do something lacking direct
    impact.

If you're right, then the magic money tree is being pruned (at best) or cut down (at worst). What does that mean
    for a prospective Labour government?
    Taxes are already at historic high levels. How do they raise money to pay for even more stuff?
    What we have seen is the emergence of Modern Monetary Theory as the leading driver of central bank thinking throughout the world, in practice even if no one dares to say it.

The thing is that there's a big question whether the Fed is doing what it is doing with regards to interest rates to fight inflation or because of the political concerns for voters around inflation. Pre-the crisis in Ukraine, inflation was rising but it wasn't at dramatic levels. It was the crisis that pushed things over the edge, which is not the sort of thing you can sort with interest rate rises.

Which raises the question. Is the Fed really changed its tune or has it got its eye on the Midterms? If the latter, then it may ease off its rises sooner than expected.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Again? If Truss is so bad why aren't you hanging around to help choose the next leader. Or will it be a coronation.

Marquee Mark made a compelling case on why it will be a coronation.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I presume Kwarteng's plans need to be voted on? Is there any chance that MPs will back it?

He wants a giveaway and can't cost it. He might as well just say 'trust me.' Couldn't all this nonsense be stopped immediately by a reversal of policy?
  • Options

Perhaps now's the time for a new party, with a maroon logo in honour of its spiritual father David Cameron.
    He's a Jambo? Huge if true. I always had him as a rugger bugger.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A Ron DeSantis appointee has just resigned after photos emerged of him wearing a KKK outfit. DeSantis appointed him to run Florida’s only predominately Black county.
    https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1574903383097581570

Hardly a shocker for Leon's favorite Putinist POTUS hopeful.

BTW (and also FYI) note that Hurricane Ian is gonna be THE test for RDS and his leadership in the Sunshine State. Will be interesting to see what kind of grade he'll get from Floridians.

Seeing as how bullying politicos are NOT of much concern to a Class 4-5 hurricane.

BTW, big problem likely to be storm surge in Tampa Bay and other nearby Gulf Coast communities, esp. Sarasota and Ft Myers.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    TimS said:

Hurricane Ian continues to undergo rapid intensification even as it hits land in SW Florida. Looks like it is category 5 now.

We're looking at one of the most violent hurricane landfalls in recent history I think. The doomsday scenario of huge storm surge in Tampa Bay has been avoided but it's not gong to be pretty.

Apparently 165mph winds recently recorded in SE eyewall. Look at the thing:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/9030d3c9f3d180e4e8afd5dbade04eaff8b90b43ce9b073fec0625279135806b.jpg

Yes, I thought they were underdoing it yesterday.

The official forecast never seems to go for rapid intensification even when it looks likely.

I guess we'll not see another Ian.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Same mistake that Boris made time after time. Double down, dismiss pressure, thereby allowing the pressure to build yet more until pop. No idea why they do it. I think because they feel they are right and this is part of the fight against economic orthodoxy, just like Boris convinced himself things like Paterson or partygate were just Westminster bubble stories that would blow over.

I think both he and now they are spurred on by seeing what they got away with before the last election, with the proroguing of parliament and all the malarkey around that followed by a stonking election win. It's given the whole leadership a sense of invincibility.

Keir showed how it's done yesterday by suspending Rupa Haq within minutes of her comments getting out, and making her issue a grovelling apology. That's the only way.
    I don't think it's comparable to the Boris/Keir situations. There's a difference between sticking to a policy because you think it's basically right, and sticking to a person because you think it basically doesn't matter.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Some hard realities for the Government to face up to here. https://twitter.com/TimPitt11/status/1575136874062139392

They could really do with getting Osborne back to help with this. His experience would be invaluable.
    He's not coming back.

The party wouldn't let him enact the policies required.
    Sacking Tom Scholar on the first morning looks like a DefCon 1 level feck up now doesn't it.
    Yup.

This is a government of snowflakes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

US 10yr bonds hit 4% today, first time since 2010.
    There is a global bond crisis. We are not alone. But we are fucked

I would argue that - while the adjustment will be painful - higher interest rates are probably a long-term positive for the world. Too many zombie businesses in Europe and the US have been kept alive, despite poor returns, due to too low interest rates. It's a repeat of the Japanese disaster from 1992 to... well... now.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m

Well... read this

I think it was @another_richard who said:

2000s = party decade
    2010s = throwing up decade
    2020s = cleaning up the mess decade
    You hope

Right now I'll be happy if the world makes it to 2030 without turning into an irradiated husk buzzed by rubber-necking aliens
  • Options

Will you be voting Lab or Lib next time Richard? (genuinely interested)
    LibDem. They are barmy as well, of course, but in a more harmless way.

Actually voting Labour would be a step too far, but I've no doubt now that a Labour (or Labour-led) government is now in the interests of the country.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

FAMINE
    It's the fucking Royal Bee Whisperer

He went and told the bees the Queen was dead, and then they went and told the hornets, and they thought: perfect time to attack, Britain is in turmoil

AND HERE THEY ARE

Arrest the Royal Bee Whisperer
    He's on LinkedIn. Two connections.
  • Options

Leon said:

PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

THIS is another good point

"All the Norwegian pipelines Russia could have hit but didn't:"

https://twitter.com/FortyTwice/status/1575110218799009793?s=20&t=bPEnGces3IOaSlIpt5Nsng

If Moscow was minded to blow up some gas pipelines, why not attack Norwegian pipes to western Europe? Thus increasing European energy hunger but keeping open the tantalising hope of energy from Russia?

I fear we are close to a terrible, terrible war

Putin doesn't have any choice but to escalate.

But his forces are not in a good way right now, and if NATO comes into the war then they will look even worse.
    To win Putin has to force the West to back down and cease providing Ukraine with ammunition. He has to scare us enough that we'd sacrifice Ukraine to save ourselves (in the short term).

If we call his bluff then a defeat at the hands of NATO is more survivable, as less humiliating, than being defeated by Ukraine alone.

So I think he has to force the conflict to a point of crisis where the West has to choose between direct conflict with Russia, or sacrificing Ukraine.
    yes i think putin wants direct conflict with the west now
    Yes, that is my sense. He will take it to the absolute brink, because the alternative is defeat and probably death for him

And he won't especially care if it goes over the edge into a minor nuke strike

Chances of a nuclear weapon blowing up in the next ten weeks are now about 50%?
    I'd put it at within 10 or so days
    Would you now.
    Yes. Got a problem with that?
    Well yes, I'd rather there wasn't a nuclear attack in the next fortnight, as you ask
    But the week after is fine, right?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with that. Though I'll be very suprised if both do. My money is on the C of E.
    The Tory party has survived for 300 years and will survive for centuries more even if in a new form and realignment on the right.

The monarchy is still more popular than both the Tory and Labour parties
  • Options

People may be pleased to hear that I am no longer sponging off the State, having finally returned to the workforce this week. I started my new job on Monday with Royal Mail as a postie. Not quite the job, or income, I was looking for, but I've got a really nice route (in Aldbourne, of Doctor Who fame), a five minute walk commute and I'm working with some lovely people

I don't have to decide whether to strike or scab this week, as I've been given Friday and Saturday off. But Monday, when there'll be a huge backlog of mail after the strike, is my first day doing the route on my own. I may be doing overtime

Great news congrats!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

The Tory party has survived for 300 years and will survive for centuries more even if in a new form and realignment on the right.
    Just as the Whigs have survived in a "new form".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited September 2022
    rcs1000 said:

US 10yr bonds hit 4% today, first time since 2010.
    There is a global bond crisis. We are not alone. But we are fucked

I would argue that - while the adjustment will be painful - higher interest rates are probably a long-term positive for the world. Too many zombie businesses in Europe and the US have been kept alive, despite poor returns, due to too low interest rates. It's a repeat of the Japanese disaster from 1992 to... well... now.
    +1

As Joe Biden said yesterday, capitalism without competition is just exploitation. The financial repression policies of recent decades have prevented proper competition from operating and led to stagnation and increasing inequality.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The members will be incandescent. I just don't see it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    The pound is now back to where it was on Sunday night.

$1.083

Anyone have access to the live gilt prices? 1/2/5/10/25/30yr would be great. Anyone?

I can’t find a direct ticker on my broker platform, just crappy gilt funds that are a mixture of maturities.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

There is no way they can bring out a costed plan that isn't a joke without either binning last Friday's changes and / or massive spending cuts....
    I think a plan puts down a marker. It can then be discussed/destroyed but it is something. At the moment there is nothing.
  • Options
    True this.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

If they weren't shilling for a genocidal war, this would be top comedy.

Solovyov gets drafted and goes crazy.
    https://twitter.com/R82938886/status/1574865224108220423

Someone did a great job, though.

Is it real?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Truss can't remain in Number 10. That means you need to fix the problem quickly and another leadership election doesn't fix things quickly...

Also a quick fix requires someone with substance arriving in No 10 - and there aren't many of those remaining in the Tory Party...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Their own fault, isn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Treasury Financial Sec Andrew Griffith rejects the idea the slide in £ and rise in gilt yield is the govt's fault, telling @SkyNews: 'We are seeing the same impact of Putin's war... every major economy is dealing with exactly the same issues'
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1575146887455334400

What is the point of lying when absolutely no one is fooled?
  • Options
    It's Brexit Negotiations: The Sequel.

One side says "this is the reality of the situation, what is your response" and UK gov says "that's *your reality* but we propose this reality instead for your consideration."

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1575142453560197120
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

They have, mainly through the Liberal Party and into today's Liberal Democrats.

Some of the old Whig aristocracy also formed the Liberal Unionists which merged into today's Conservative and Unionist party
  • Options
    MISTY said:

IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

some choice quotes here via @GeorgeWParker and team:

Another Tory MP, a member of the government, said: "Liz has a pretty quick choice to make: either she bullets her chancellor and changes course or she could lose her premiership within a month." https://www.ft.com/content/a46e53bb-e23d-4450-a70e-05f71d2e57ef

Any names mentioned...? no...?
    Faking quotes is career ending for journalists.

Do you think it credible that there are no tory MPs saying these things?
    Its only career ending if there's a name attached and you misquote. No name? could be anybody, cannot be checked (won't name my source....).

I think there are plenty of tory MPs who are worried, but to talk about their own government to a left wing journalist in the snarky Femi Sorry way we see on the internet?

Nope.
    I tend to agree with you.

There are almost certainly journalists who make up those kind of anonymous quotes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

They have, through the Liberal Party and into today's Liberal Democrats
    Did you really not understand that was my point?

I don't think you did.
  • Options
    Have spent all my hours since Fri talking to market participants & UKG politicos & policymakers. The gap between what capital markets need to see (policy reversal, tax rises or spending cuts) & what UKG is planning to do (more detail on supply side reforms) is MASSIVE 1/

Prob is not only that @trussliz & @KwasiKwarteng think they can ride this out. They also have no political space to deliver the kinds of things - a major fiscal & policy course correction - markets now want to see 2/

A reversal on her flagship policy - tax cuts - puts Truss in play with Tory MPs. She'd effectively be a lame duck PM. But no reversal/credible course correction - & the negative market reaction - puts her CX in play 3/

How to square circle? Spending cuts? One option being discussed in Whitehall would be 5y freeze on already tight budgets of Govt departments. But markets would rightly doubt whether there was enough political will to withstand spending pressures in the run-up to an election 4/4

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1575142464293314562
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Oh, I'm sure one could claim that (for instance) the Dumnonian faction in the Witan has survived as the modern LDs. But it doesn't mean much, and it doesn't mean any more to claim that the Conservative Party was led by Walpole or whoever.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    HYUFD said:

Depends, if the next Labour government leads to strikes, high inflation and high interest rates and high taxes there would swiftly be a swing to the new Tory Leader of the Opposition however bad a defeat Truss has led the party to.
    I dont think we need to wait for a Labour government to see strikes, high inflation and high interest rates!
  • Options
    Liz could do worse than get Boris to issue some kind of statement, to the effect that it's not all her fault and the doomsters are merely out in force. Many Tory supporters would see him as a reassuring father figure and it might buy her some time.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    TOPPING said:

For what it's worth - probably best post of this thread. At the moment many seem to be running around shouting "panic" at what are, and the end of the day, tax cuts. As if they're inherently bad and will lead to the total collapse of the UK economy.

If they are on the back of a fag packet un-costed calculations then the Govt deserve all that will be coming to them electorally. However, If Truss is genuinely trying to re-shape the economy with a "bold plan" then a few weeks turbulence from markets is to be expected. And ridden-out. Otherwise nothing would ever get done.

I do wonder whether some posters on here are not actually concerned with the economy "crashing" due to the budget; they're more concerned that it might actually work. It's amusing to read comments from those who trumpeted Corbyn's economic plan - and are now worried about the GBP rate, mortgage rates, pension funds and the Gilt market.

But yes - a costed plan and one soon is what is needed.
  • Options
    BREAKING: @nottmhospitals declares a critical incident as it experiences 97% occupancy and 720+ A&E attendances. So it begins... https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1575146449762926595/photo/1
  • Options

@twlldun
    Say what you like about Boris Johnson, but he wouldn’t have hidden from a run on the pound and turmoil in the markets, he would have been right out there with an incoherent speech comparing it to an episode of Tellytubbies with a completely superfluous quote from Ovid.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1575134722770051073

Liz could do worse than get Boris to issue some kind of statement, to the effect that it's not all her fault and the doomsters are merely out in force. Many Tory supporters would see him as a reassuring father figure and it might buy her some time.

When I read those two posts in sequence ...
  • Options
    PeterMPeterM Posts: 302
    rcs1000 said:

PeterM said:

rcs1000 said:

Dynamo said:

WillG said:

Dynamo said:

A big declaration by Putin is scheduled for Friday 30 September.

Russia is signalling that all they want is the five territories (by far the largest part of what they still need to take is in the DPR) and nukes kept out of rump Ukraine. Of course if NATO countries supply weapons that are used to attack Russian territory that changes the game.

carnforth said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

THIS is another good point

"All the Norwegian pipelines Russia could have hit but didn't:"

https://twitter.com/FortyTwice/status/1575110218799009793?s=20&t=bPEnGces3IOaSlIpt5Nsng

If Moscow was minded to blow up some gas pipelines, why not attack Norwegian pipes to western Europe? Thus increasing European energy hunger but keeping open the tantalising hope of energy from Russia?

I fear we are close to a terrible, terrible war

I'm going to assume that sabotaging Nord Stream 2 has plausible deniability - Russia can always be like "why would we wreck our own infrastructure / money making pipeline when we could always just turn it off it we want to"

Actually attacking someone else's pipeline to Europe would be an open act of war.
    Someone posted a map showing the points of explosion just inside international waters, showing someone was being careful: either Russia about Article 5, or someone else trying to give that implication.
    Those locations say nothing about who did it.

"always just turn it off it we want to"

The pipelines were already switched off. Or to be more exact, Nordstream 1 was off and Nordstream 2 hadn't come onstream yet.

The Portovaya compressor plant near Vyborg was also sabotaged last month.
    "All they want" is 20% of the territory of their neighbour, whom they attacked in an act of wanton aggression. How about I steal 20% of your property and then say "hey, I only want this 20%, you get to keep 80%, seems like a fair deal?"

Of course this is also after Crimea was stolen, then Luhansk and Donetsk was stolen, now Zaporizhzhia and Kherson are being stolen. The idea that we could agree this and Russia would stop there is ridiculous. The Russians are untrustworthy war criminals. And Ukraine is winning. A much better option is to turf the orcs out and break Russia's military capacity for 50 years.
    You don't give a f***ing shit about what country people who actually live in those territories want to live in, do you?

All you know is you hate the Russians, Soviets, war criminals, disrespecters of private property rights, whatever those filthy foreigners who don't know how to hold a knife and fork properly call themselves, and kill kill kill.

Nobody would want you anywhere near decision making in a conflict.
    If the Ukrainians in those areas were so keen on becoming Russian, then they might have willingly joined their army.

Instead of Russia needing general mobilisation, the invasion would have found willing troops. And the Ukrainians, attempting to invade a country that did not want them, would have been crushed.

Remind me again, what's actually happening?
    are you prepared to risk a nuclear attack for the sake of ukraine...
    Of course.

Because otherwise the next question will be "are you prepared to risk a nuclear attack for the sake of Estonia"?
    you keep saying how weak and rubbish Putins forces are...so he is clearly not a threat to the west....so even if he took off a bit of ukraine for us in the west it would make no difference...
  • Options
    Bank of England stages dramatic intervention to stave off imminent crash in gilt market following tax-cutting budget - City Minister Andrew Griffith insists government not to blame: 'Every major economy is dealing with exactly the same issues'

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-28/boe-to-carry-out-purchases-of-long-dated-uk-bonds-to-calm-market
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Has anyone seen Truss? Anyone?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Have spent all my hours since Fri talking to market participants & UKG politicos & policymakers. The gap between what capital markets need to see (policy reversal, tax rises or spending cuts) & what UKG is planning to do (more detail on supply side reforms) is MASSIVE 1/

Prob is not only that @trussliz & @KwasiKwarteng think they can ride this out. They also have no political space to deliver the kinds of things - a major fiscal & policy course correction - markets now want to see 2/

A reversal on her flagship policy - tax cuts - puts Truss in play with Tory MPs. She'd effectively be a lame duck PM. But no reversal/credible course correction - & the negative market reaction - puts her CX in play 3/

How to square circle? Spending cuts? One option being discussed in Whitehall would be 5y freeze on already tight budgets of Govt departments. But markets would rightly doubt whether there was enough political will to withstand spending pressures in the run-up to an election 4/4

5yr freeze on spending is 25% cuts cross the border...

How does the NHS cut 24% when it needs to find money for social care just to resolve it's own internal issues where lack of social care > bed blocking > inability to admit patients > A&E full > Ambulances caring for patients > call times of 8 hours for anything none life threatening and often 1 hr + for things that are...
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    https://www.newcastle.co.uk/savings/fixed-rate-bonds/newcastle-one-year-fixed-rate-bond-issue-61

4.1% interest, 1 year fixed savings with an FSCS protected, reputable building society.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

5yr freeze on spending is 25% cuts cross the border...

How does the NHS cut 24% when it needs to find money for social care just to resolve it's own internal issues where lack of social care > bed blocking > inability to admit patients > A&E full > Ambulances caring for patients > call times of 8 hours for anything none life threatening and often 1 hr + for things that are...
    How does education?
  • Options
    This is smart, as well as a nice gesture:

ZMiST @ZMiST_Ua

Ukrainian Ministry of Justice announced a new program that will allow every russian soldier captured by Ukrainian forces to contact their family and relatives for up to 15 minutes every couple of days using Voice over IP, improving their mental health and overall state.

https://twitter.com/ZMiST_Ua/status/1575085567997407232
  • Options
    Labour lead over the Conservatives on:

NHS: +33
    Cost of living: +32
    Getting people on housing ladder: +27
    Energy provision: +26
    Climate change: +26
    Ensuring hard workers get on in life: +22
    Economic growth: +17
    Ukraine: ±0
    Brexit: -4 (40% say "neither")

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/09/28/labour-twice-trusted-tories-deliver-economic-growt https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1575153576007315456/photo/1
  • Options

First time in his puff that he’d have managed reassuring as a father figure.
  • Options
    BREAKING:

Norway reports that Russians have stopped arriving to the border crossing between Norway & Russia.

Normally, 400-500 Russians arrive per day.

The Norwegians believe it could be a sign that Russia is about to close its borders to stop men from fleeing mobilization.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1575132336273997830?s=20&t=EIRY5PtcKhIbi_gqmrnWxw
This discussion has been closed.