Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Read the wording carefully on US Senate bets – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Remember how Raab got grief for being poolside when the Afghan fiasco played out?

For Mr S hears that while Boris Johnson is currently on holiday, his next-door-neighbour Nadhim Zahawi is currently away from his desk too. Simon Clarke, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, is also believed to not presently be working in Whitehall either. Both men are believed to working wherever they may be, with Zahawi expected to be doing meetings remotely.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/Boris-and-Zahawi-put-their-feet-up-as-recession-looms

Who is actually minding the shop right now?

JRM obviously!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

We also need to start believing in god and heaven again. Everyone is terrified of dying because they are like Phil Larkin in aubade. They think death is an eternity of nullity. Forever not existing. Get a grip you atheist wankers

Indeed, if you truly believe in God you have no great fear of death but hope for eternal life (albeit there is the downside of hell too if you were really bad until you truly repent)
    According to the Bible, only 144,000 people will ascend to the Kingdom of Heaven, 12,000 from each tribe of Israel.

You have to be pretty amazingly sin free to be a member of such a small group.

Are you?
    Isn't that just the Rapture? The rest of us have to put up with the apocalypse on earth before our pearly gates.
    The Rapture is part of Revelation and in the New Testament not the Old
    Yes, that is where the number 144,000 comes from. Not the Jewish bible, but the Christian one, indeed Revelation is positively psychedelic.
    Saint John was a very old man when he dictated with the Book of Revelations and definitely away with the fairies!
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Leon said:

We also need to start believing in god and heaven again. Everyone is terrified of dying because they are like Phil Larkin in aubade. They think death is an eternity of nullity. Forever not existing. Get a grip you atheist wankers

So we should start deluding ourselves then?

I have to say I would be more inclined to go to church if @leon was preaching from the pulpit.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Indeed, if you truly believe in God you have no great fear of death but hope for eternal life (albeit there is the downside of hell too if you were really bad until you truly repent)
    According to the Bible, only 144,000 people will ascend to the Kingdom of Heaven, 12,000 from each tribe of Israel.

Are you?
    Isn't that just the Rapture? The rest of us have to put up with the apocalypse on earth before our pearly gates.
    Yes, that is where the number 144,000 comes from. Not the Jewish bible, but the Christian one, indeed Revelation is positively psychedelic.
    Saint John was a very old man when he dictated with the Book of Revelations and definitely away with the fairies!
    Are you telling us the bible was written by some loony?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

glw said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

If these BoE predictions pan out, and if they are mirrored across the West, then the pressure on Ukraine to sue for a bitter peace will be irresistible

I see Marine Le Pen is arguing this in France already. She is not entirely stupid: she sees the political opportunity

And it could get worse. Putin could shut off all gas and oil and see if we blink first. I suspect we would

And when Ukraine has given up territory what you do propose we do the next time Putin decides to expand his "Russian Empire"?

People arguing that Ukraine should cede territory are essentially saying "third time lucky" to Ukraine. No previous agreement has been upheld by Russia, why should anyone trust Russia now?

If we want to end the war the best way is to arm Ukraine so that they can do so on their terms, not give in to Russia.

I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THAT

Check my comments

I am merely observing that with the awful economic prospectus the tacit pressure from the west, on Ukraine, to make a bad peace might be irresistible
    It won't be a bad peace, it will merely be a pause until Putin goes for the rest of Ukraine, or the territory of some other country. Putin must be defeated.
    This is a mantra rather than an argument. And the same things will be being said by the other side - 'we must win this war against the West, if they win Ukraine what next, this is an existential fight for Russia'. Yet we expect or hope for Putin to act rationally in the face of military losses and economic damage, and withdraw. Someone needs to start acting like the grown up in the room.
    The grown up thing to do would be to abandon the invasion.
    Your equivalence nonsense is just ... nonsense.
    It's not equivalence, Nigel, it's a dispassionate analysis of the war. There are several out comes. Of course the "grown up thing to do would be to abandon the invasion" - for example what the allies did in Afghan/Iraq, and well done them. But it is not a given that it will happen, no matter how much you wish for it to be so. You don't get extra points, or a free pass to heaven now that we're talking about it, by wanting world peace and everyone to get along.

We are witnessing a bloody and awful conflict and no one quite knows how it will end. Wishing that the goodies win is all well and good but first off, Russia believes itself to be the goodies, and there is no guarantee that the goodies do win.

It's literally virtue signalling.
    Where would you have negotiated a settlement with Hitler?
    You do remember that a large chunk of the government, led by the Foreign Secretary, Lord Halifax, did favour a negotiated settlement with Hitler after Dunkirk?
    Yes. They rightly lost the argument. As must the Tankies wanting "peace" now
    You are very noble to condemn likely thousands of Ukrainians to death instead of negotiating.

Now, if Ukraine wants to continue to fight because they believe that it is justified given that their country has been invaded that is of course wholly admirable - I daresay you and I would feel and do the same if someone invaded the UK.

But for outsiders to make that decision is more problematic; you are using their lives to try to achieve your ideals.

Most likely there will be some kind of negotiated settlement remains my belief. In an ideal world it would involve complete Russian withdrawal but that is an ideal. I don't close my mind off to the possibility that it will be where they stand on the day of negotiation.
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that a negotiated peace also condemns 1000's of ukranians to death, torture rape and deportation. Fight or settle there are still going to be 1000's of ukranian deaths so they may as well fight.

In addition all settling does is give putin time to rearm for the next bite of the cherry.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    kjh said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Are you?
    Are you telling us the bible was written by some loony?
    Not just the one, I’d wager
This discussion has been closed.