Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss continues to be a 65% chance in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,512

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62267282

"The large number of unfilled NHS job vacancies is posing a serious risk to patient safety, a report by MPs says.

It found England is now short of 12,000 hospital doctors and more than 50,000 nurses and midwives, calling this the worst workforce crisis in NHS history."

I expect the biggest real terms pay cut in decades will sort that out.

The problem is that the NHS has to run to stand still, and that challenge gets worse every year - more people live for longer with more chronic conditions all of whom require more people treating them for longer with more new (and expensive) drugs coming on the market all the time that make more things treatable too. And so on.

Of course, all those staff want real-terms salary increases each year too (who doesn't?) and so the NHS needs to consume an ever greater proportion of national income each and every year - it probably needs a budget increase of 9-10% every year just to stop it getting worse - just to deliver its decidedly average service.

This isn't sustainable. I don't see any party with answers.
    There are lots of answers, but they all involve ditching the Bevanite delusion of free health care for all all the time, so we won't implement them until we really have to.

I just hope we do before the NHS strangles the economy. Already, unkind but accurate foreigners describe us as a health service with a country attached.
    UK healthcare spending as a proportion of GDP is about average in the OECD and very low compared to most of the G7: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/articles/howdoesukhealthcarespendingcomparewithothercountries/2019-08-29 The US spends more than 2.5 times as much per person than we do, yet we have better health outcomes.
    Yes, but the difference there (e.g. in France, Germany, Switzerland and Australia) is that they inject much more through the private and third sector.

Constant comparisons of the NHS to the US is a tired age-old tactic, and the sign of a limited mind.

There are dozens of far better models out there.
    Much of the difference for the USA is that they massively overpay for everything afaics.

eg Something as basic as insulin. 2018 prices.

USA: average price for a vial
    - $98.70
    UK: average price for a vial
    - $7.52
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/cost-of-insulin-by-country

The NHS is really, really excellent at some things.

On this one it's worth noting that out of 35+ Western countries, including all of Europe, UK are the 7th most cost effective, after Tk, Po, Hu, Oz, Slovakia, Slovenia.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

"The large number of unfilled NHS job vacancies is posing a serious risk to patient safety, a report by MPs says.

It found England is now short of 12,000 hospital doctors and more than 50,000 nurses and midwives, calling this the worst workforce crisis in NHS history."

The problem is that the NHS has to run to stand still, and that challenge gets worse every year - more people live for longer with more chronic conditions all of whom require more people treating them for longer with more new (and expensive) drugs coming on the market all the time that make more things treatable too. And so on.

Of course, all those staff want real-terms salary increases each year too (who doesn't?) and so the NHS needs to consume an ever greater proportion of national income each and every year - it probably needs a budget increase of 9-10% every year just to stop it getting worse - just to deliver its decidedly average service.

There are lots of answers, but they all involve ditching the Bevanite delusion of free health care for all all the time, so we won't implement them until we really have to.

I just hope we do before the NHS strangles the economy. Already, unkind but accurate foreigners describe us as a health service with a country attached.
    UK healthcare spending as a proportion of GDP is about average in the OECD and very low compared to most of the G7: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/articles/howdoesukhealthcarespendingcomparewithothercountries/2019-08-29 The US spends more than 2.5 times as much per person than we do, yet we have better health outcomes.
    The US "healthcare" system is a corruption system with some healthcare attached. They have many laws literally to prevent competition and efficiencies in the healthcare system.

Nobody rational compares to them.
    Which is why I don’t understand why some people think the solution to the NHS’s problems is to move closer to a US system.

I don't think anyone does. I think some critics love to claim that though.

More competition isn't a US system, it's worth looking at systems all over the Continent to see systems more competitive than either the UK or the USA. It's one area they can do well in. 👍
    Fishing was suggesting that the NHS is strangling the economy. How would a French or German system where a higher proportion of GDP is spent on healthcare be any less of a stranglehold on the economy? CR notes they have (somewhat) lower state spending, with more private money, but that money still ultimately comes from the same economy… indeed, ultimately, people are still paying, just through mandated private insurance rather than through tax.

We do spend a lot on healthcare, but isn’t being hale and hearty a central part of enjoying living? The NHS is very efficient by international comparisons. Most of the G7 manage to spend more on healthcare than us and still have thriving economies. Why don’t we spend a little more? It’s not going to destroy the economy. It is going to deliver better outcomes.

Longer term a core part of the answer is better fitness at the individual level. Really tackling obesity. Fund and subsidise sports and activities. Taxes on unhealthy food and subsidies on healthy food. Rebalance the relative value of leaving education with a university degree vs coming out fit and with a healthy lifestyle. The latter is more important, but many of us do not realise that until much later, when it is harder to change.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581

eek said:

ydoethur said:

What’s important to Nad:

.⁦@trussliz⁩ will be travelling the country wearing her earrings which cost circa £4.50 from Claire Accessories. Meanwhile…

Rishi visits Teeside in Prada shoes worth £450 and sported £3,500 bespoke suit as he prepared for crunch leadership vote.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1551459390502440960

So Truss spent six times the price of a pint of milk on crap jewellery?

That. Is. A. Disgrace.
    £4.50 is more than a prawn sandwich from Pret...
    So, members of the conservative party are slagging off other members because they are wealthy? Have I got this right? This is the Conservative party right?

We are no longer in Kansas, Toto.

I'm not usually a fan of Guardian opinion pieces, but I think this one has it right about the two candidates' "absurd class cosplay".

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/25/rishi-sunak-liz-truss-britain-class-tory-leadership

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

“China is the biggest long-term threat to Britain, Rishi Sunak will say on Monday as he unveils plans to curb the country’s soft power by closing all of its 30 Confucius Institutes, which promote the teaching of Chinese language and culture, in the UK.”

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1551449611839176706

China really isnt the biggest long term threat and quite a paranoid and insular thing to do
    China is the biggest threat the US faces. Russia is the biggest threat Europe faces. That will become a much, much bigger problem for us if (when?) the Republicans win the presidency in 2024.

No, China is the biggest threat the entire world faces. The world is interconnected, markets are global, the notion you can worry about your corner of it is naivety in the extreme.

If China invades Taiwan, which supplies the chips that run the global economy, we would be plunged into a depression that could dwarf COVID and the GFC and Ukraine combined.
    China are without a doubt the 21st centuries greatest threat.
    That is another reason to aid Ukraine to defeat Russia. If China see Russia defeated that may aid deterrence for avoiding them invading Taiwan.
    There’s plenty in that, though I think the Chinese are a lot more interested than the Russians in economic control rather than political control. Beyond Taiwan, that’s what motivates them. The issue for us is that it is likely the next Republican US president will not worry too much about Putin and so will give much less priority to thwarting him than Biden has. If Europe is not able to fill the gaps this creates, the Russian threat becomes ever greater and much more immediate than the Chinese one.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,607

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

The US "healthcare" system is a corruption system with some healthcare attached. They have many laws literally to prevent competition and efficiencies in the healthcare system.

Which is why I don’t understand why some people think the solution to the NHS’s problems is to move closer to a US system.

More competition isn't a US system, it's worth looking at systems all over the Continent to see systems more competitive than either the UK or the USA. It's one area they can do well in. 👍
    Fishing was suggesting that the NHS is strangling the economy. How would a French or German system where a higher proportion of GDP is spent on healthcare be any less of a stranglehold on the economy? CR notes they have (somewhat) lower state spending, with more private money, but that money still ultimately comes from the same economy… indeed, ultimately, people are still paying, just through mandated private insurance rather than through tax.

We do spend a lot on healthcare, but isn’t being hale and hearty a central part of enjoying living? The NHS is very efficient by international comparisons. Most of the G7 manage to spend more on healthcare than us and still have thriving economies. Why don’t we spend a little more? It’s not going to destroy the economy. It is going to deliver better outcomes.

Longer term a core part of the answer is better fitness at the individual level. Really tackling obesity. Fund and subsidise sports and activities. Taxes on unhealthy food and subsidies on healthy food. Rebalance the relative value of leaving education with a university degree vs coming out fit and with a healthy lifestyle. The latter is more important, but many of us do not realise that until much later, when it is harder to change.
    I agree.

I note that old Truss piece about cutting Government spending proposed cutting funding to public health programmes that encourage healthier eating, so unfortunately it looks like our next PM doesn’t agree with us.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581
    Hogan says he won't support party’s nominee in Maryland governor contest
    Larry Hogan has referred to Dan Cox as a “QAnon whack job.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/24/hogan-cox-maryland-governor-election-00047602
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,229

Foxy said:

I don't think the situation is that bad.

Developments in medical science should also be able to reduce the cost of existing treatments, equipment and medicine.

Staff wages only have to keep pace with the rest of the economy.

We're undergoing a demographic transition which is increasing the number of elderly people as a proportion of the population, but that will either reach a new steady state, or we will have bigger problems to worry about.

We have an existing methodology for rationing care according to the resources available based on NICE.
    I'm afraid it is that bad.

The NHS took barely a quarter of government spending a decade ago. It now takes well over a third.

That isn't sustainable.
    The NHS was always going to cost more as the population aged. How could you avoid that from happening?

At some point the population stops aging, or there are no young people left at all - which would be a slightly more serious problem.

At that point the NHS funding situation should stabilise.

So there's a one-off increase in the cost of the NHS due to the change in the population structure, and we should be looking at things like the pension age to help pay for it, as well as recognising that it's a price worth paying.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

“China is the biggest long-term threat to Britain, Rishi Sunak will say on Monday as he unveils plans to curb the country’s soft power by closing all of its 30 Confucius Institutes, which promote the teaching of Chinese language and culture, in the UK.”

China really isnt the biggest long term threat and quite a paranoid and insular thing to do
    China is the biggest threat the US faces. Russia is the biggest threat Europe faces. That will become a much, much bigger problem for us if (when?) the Republicans win the presidency in 2024.

No, China is the biggest threat the entire world faces. The world is interconnected, markets are global, the notion you can worry about your corner of it is naivety in the extreme.

If China invades Taiwan, which supplies the chips that run the global economy, we would be plunged into a depression that could dwarf COVID and the GFC and Ukraine combined.
    That is another reason to aid Ukraine to defeat Russia. If China see Russia defeated that may aid deterrence for avoiding them invading Taiwan.
    There’s plenty in that, though I think the Chinese are a lot more interested than the Russians in economic control rather than political control. Beyond Taiwan, that’s what motivates them. The issue for us is that it is likely the next Republican US president will not worry too much about Putin and so will give much less priority to thwarting him than Biden has. If Europe is not able to fill the gaps this creates, the Russian threat becomes ever greater and much more immediate than the Chinese one.

We should worry less about Chinese and Russian strength and more about our weakness. We might be able to do something about the latter if we focused on that.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited July 2022
    A couple of comments on this:
    1. Healthcare in other European countries hasn't come out of the pandemic in anything like as bad a shape as the UK
    2. There are things that can be done. Unavoidably some of these are long term, but that's no reason not to do them now, and if this Conservative government had done earlier them we wouldn't be in this state.
    3. Neither Sunak nor Truss have any interest in addressing healthcare problems
    4. The Johnson government of which Sunak and Truss are key members was elected on a promise of sorting out the NHS
    5. Giving up on the NHS means privatisation. If that's the policy let's talk about it as such.

Foxy said:

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    Roger said:

What’s important to Nad:

.⁦@trussliz⁩ will be travelling the country wearing her earrings which cost circa £4.50 from Claire Accessories. Meanwhile…

Rishi visits Teeside in Prada shoes worth £450 and sported £3,500 bespoke suit as he prepared for crunch leadership vote.

Rishi meanwhile decided it was an extravagance he couldn't justify so went without earrings altogether
    A piercing observation.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

I think it's a mistake to see spending on healthcare as strangling the economy. In a very real way - it supports the economy because it keeps people healthy enough to work.

Although I don't fully buy John Burn-Murdoch's analysis on this - it's striking how the UK is the only developed country where the share of working age people outside the labour force has kept rising after the initial pandemic shock.

When you look at the number of long-term sick going up... at least part of the reason has got to be the pressure the NHS is under, and the fact that there aren't the staff to cope.

https://www.ft.com/content/c333a6d8-0a56-488c-aeb8-eeb1c05a34d2
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    FF43 said:

1. Healthcare in other European countries hasn't come out of the pandemic in anything like as bad a shape as the UK
    2. There are things that can be done. Unavoidably some of these are long term, but that's no reason not to do them now, and if this Conservative government had done earlier them we wouldn't be in this state.
    4. The Johnson government of which Sunak and Truss are key members was elected on a promise of sorting out the NHS
    5. Giving up on the NHS means privatisation. If that's the policy let's talk about it as such.

Foxy said:

"Neither Sunak nor Truss have any interest in addressing healthcare problems"

This is a direct legacy of the likes of Johnson and Trump. Problems are to be ignored especially if they are complex. Scapegoats and dead cats are much easier to deliver than solutions.
  • Options
    How about we stop making it more expensive for working people to live and help them out. Student debt, housing, CoL, we are being shafted by this bunch of twats
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We should worry less about Chinese and Russian strength and more about our
    weakness. We might be able to do something about the latter if we focused on that.
    Could not agree more.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Yes, but the difference there (e.g. in France, Germany, Switzerland and Australia) is that they inject much more through the private and third sector.

Constant comparisons of the NHS to the US is a tired age-old tactic, and the sign of a limited mind.

Much of the difference for the USA is that they massively overpay for everything afaics.

- $98.70
    - $7.52

On this one it's worth noting that out of 35+ Western countries, including all of Europe, UK are the 7th most cost effective, after Tk, Po, Hu, Oz, Slovakia, Slovenia.
    Yes, the NHS is a single purchaser and can use its market leverage to negotiate lower purchase prices, where it choses to do so. It doesn't have the governance or financing overheads that come with a mixed model system, so that makes it "efficient" in terms of bang per buck.

But, that makes us entirely behoven to what it's chosen priorities are - with no choice. It is also entirely unconstrained by demand, inefficient at pre-screening or preventative care, uninnovative in adopting new treatments, technologies and methods, heavily unionised, and rations care using a queuing system - rather than incentivising quick reductions of queuing using pricing.

I note that you are yet another person desperate to compare the NHS to the US.

Why are you so afraid to talk about what France, Germany and Switzerland do?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Developments in medical science should also be able to reduce the cost of existing treatments, equipment and medicine.

We're undergoing a demographic transition which is increasing the number of elderly people as a proportion of the population, but that will either reach a new steady state, or we will have bigger problems to worry about.

We have an existing methodology for rationing care according to the resources available based on NICE.

The NHS took barely a quarter of government spending a decade ago. It now takes well over a third.

That isn't sustainable.
    The NHS was always going to cost more as the population aged. How could you avoid that from happening?

At some point the population stops aging, or there are no young people left at all - which would be a slightly more serious problem.

At that point the NHS funding situation should stabilise.

So there's a one-off increase in the cost of the NHS due to the change in the population structure, and we should be looking at things like the pension age to help pay for it, as well as recognising that it's a price worth paying.
    I don't think it's a one-off, sadly.

I agree with increasing the pension age. I also think personal healthcare accounts need to be looked at by government on top, and I like @Foxy proposals on this.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

"Neither Sunak nor Truss have any interest in addressing healthcare problems"

This is a direct legacy of the likes of Johnson and Trump. Problems are to be ignored especially if they are complex. Scapegoats and dead cats are much easier to deliver than solutions.
    A good point. This is not about old skool Tory vs. Labour, but about a new type of hyper partisan politician who governs exclusively for headlines, makes promises they can’t possibly keep and creates chaos to obscure their record. It’s a social media fantasy land and a virus for our politics leading to the fast track to disaster.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@BartholomewRoberts is right though. While Russia may threaten invasion, it's unlikely to actually carry it out. Its armed forces are in such a sorry state it couldn't even take Kiev. The odds of it trying to capture Warsaw are less than the odds of Mogg saying something vaguely intelligent.

Meanwhile, even a failed attempt to take Taiwan by China would upend the entire world economy, destabilise countless governments, paralyse food movement, wreck healthcare systems and cause chaos in power generation.

Because Taiwan produces the microchips on which all of those things depend, and the first thing to happen in the event of a Chinese invasion is that supply would stop.

We've already been having chip shortages due to the drought they've had, coupled with a fire, that cut supply significantly. It's one factor in recent inflation and supply chain disruption, although it has been dwarfed by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A Chinese invasion would make that look like a picnic.
    Yes, it would. The US will do all it can to ensure it doesn’t happen - including diverting resources from Europe to the Asia-Pacific. So where does that leave us?

• Options
    FF43 said:

Just a disclaimer on (5) I don't think it does.

France, Germany and Switzerland all have mixed systems but it's only 50-60% public as opposed to our 79%.

Why is that good do you ask?

Because it (a) gets more money into the system more quickly and (b) more efficiently allocates and deals with risk, whilst delivering better outcome for all.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What a pointless and depressing thread.

It would be better if Tories took some ownership of their poor record, rather than blaming others. The unedifying leadership contest is not pointing he way forward for them. We’re staring down the barrel of two years of chaos just when we need some leadership.

Meanwhile the NHS is in trouble, which impact peoples lives. It’s not a religion, it’s more important than that. The NHS represents life and death (or a pain free existence) for many thousands of people. A serious conversation about short and long term remedies is required. We need to get operations done now.

I am trying to have that serious conversation.

You want to talk about The Tories.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Jonathan said:

We should worry less about Chinese and Russian
    strength and more about our weakness. We might be able to do something about the latter if we focused on that.
    Our key weakness is that we have traded strategic resilience to save pennies. Globalisation has made the western economic system very fragile indeed, as we are now seeing. And in many cases, we have outsourced key components of our economic system to a country which defines itself as our adversary, whether we wish to acknowledge that or not.

The legacy of Blair looms large. Labour historically was a proud party of national security, strategic interest and patriotism but no more. Corbyn very nearly finished the job! In turn the Tories have become increasingly complacent on national security and adopted a purely managerial approach to foreign affairs, with foreign autocrats first and foremost a backdoor source of party funding and off balance sheet government borrowing. I struggle quite a lot with certain prominent posters continued adoration for George Osborne given his relationships with the oligarchs and abject nativity in pursuing the Chinese to help run our nuclear industry.

I desperately hope Tugendhat gets a big job in Cabinet so he can make the case for strategic resilience from inside government.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Foxy said:

That isn't sustainable.
    Where you getting those figures from?
    Health spending is about 20% of total spending.
    https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/key-questions/what-does-government-spend-money
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

Interesting. Where does that come from?

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Cars are the real culprit. I'm always shocked when I leave London how fat everyone is elsewhere. The main difference is people in London walk places.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

ydoethur said:

@BartholomewRoberts is right though. While Russia may threaten invasion, it's unlikely to actually carry it out. Its armed forces are in such a sorry state it couldn't even take Kiev. The odds of it trying to capture Warsaw are less than the odds of Mogg saying something vaguely intelligent.

Meanwhile, even a failed attempt to take Taiwan by China would upend the entire world economy, destabilise countless governments, paralyse food movement, wreck healthcare systems and cause chaos in power generation.

Because Taiwan produces the microchips on which all of those things depend, and the first thing to happen in the event of a Chinese invasion is that supply would stop.

We've already been having chip shortages due to the drought they've had, coupled with a fire, that cut supply significantly. It's one factor in recent inflation and supply chain disruption, although it has been dwarfed by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A Chinese invasion would make that look like a picnic.
    Yes, it would. The US will do all it can to ensure it doesn’t happen - including diverting resources from Europe to the Asia-Pacific. So where does that leave us?

The point being that that is a considerably greater strategic threat to us than the Russian government behaving like a bunch of drunken lunatics with small cocks and delusions of grandeur. The invasion of Ukraine seems to have been the last roll of the imperial dice for them, and it's failed. Even though they probably will end up controlling parts of Ukraine at least for now, they have been humiliated and their army broken.

So China remains the greater threat to Europe. That's not to say Russia isn't a threat - we need to be upping our capacity to both counter and conduct cyber warfare, for instance - but even that wouldn't be possible without Taiwan.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

It would be better if Tories took some ownership of their poor record, rather than blaming others. The unedifying leadership contest is not pointing he way forward for them. We’re staring down the barrel of two years of chaos just when we need some leadership.

Meanwhile the NHS is in trouble, which impact peoples lives. It’s not a religion, it’s more important than that. The NHS represents life and death (or a pain free existence) for many thousands of people. A serious conversation about short and long term remedies is required. We need to get operations done now.

Trust me, if we never had to talk about Tories ever again I would be delighted. The brutal truth is that we are stuck with them for at least two years,

The NHS needs help now, not just yet another reorg or ideological driven campaign. I would like solutions that deal with real problems, such as stopping people I care about having to wait 18 months in pain.

• Options

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

Yes, the NHS is a single purchaser and can use its market leverage to negotiate lower purchase prices, where it choses to do so. It doesn't have the governance or financing overheads that come with a mixed model system, so that makes it "efficient" in terms of bang per buck.

But, that makes us entirely behoven to what it's chosen priorities are - with no choice. It is also entirely unconstrained by demand, inefficient at pre-screening or preventative care, uninnovative in adopting new treatments, technologies and methods, heavily unionised, and rations care using a queuing system - rather than incentivising quick reductions of queuing using pricing.

The NHS’s priorities are democratically chosen: I don’t know why you say we have “no choice”.

People in France, Germany and Switzerland are, on average, paying more for their healthcare than we are. If you’re suggesting we should increase UK healthcare spending to match German levels, then I agree with you.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

What’s important to Nad:

That. Is. A. Disgrace.
    So, members of the conservative party are slagging off other members because they are wealthy? Have I got this right? This is the Conservative party right?

I'm not usually a fan of Guardian opinion pieces, but I think this one has it right about the two candidates' "absurd class cosplay".

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/25/rishi-sunak-liz-truss-britain-class-tory-leadership

So much is obvious. Less obvious is why and how they think it works for them. And, if it does, why?

Similar things happen on the left of course. In a sense it is more recent on the centre right. AD-H and Macmillan seemed to feel no need to dumb down.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

That isn't sustainable.
    It's a % of Department Expenditure Limits (DEL) - health was £193bn of £566.2bn DEL in 2021.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    1h
    Rachel Reeves says Labour has ditched its plans to renationalise industries

“They were plans in a manifesto that led us to our worst election defeat in nearly a century” #today
  • Options

FF43 said:

France, Germany and Switzerland all have mixed systems but it's only 50-60% public as opposed to our 79%.

Because it (a) gets more money into the system more quickly and (b) more efficiently allocates and deals with risk, whilst delivering better outcome for all.
    Where’s your evidence that the French, German or Swiss systems are more efficient? The usual international comparisons put the UK as being more efficient.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Among all the problems currently there are some which are amusingly trivial:

Sandy Domingos-Shipley has three children, aged 15, 13 and eight, who are all Leeds United supporters.

Normally she would buy them the new kit as soon as it was released before the start of the season but this year she hasn't been able to, with the club saying it won't be on sale until late August.

Although Sandy said she would still be buying the kit when it was available, she added: "The season will be four weeks in and for the kids it kind of ruined the moment because it became our own tradition.

"It makes no sense because that's when you know that you're gonna get lots of people to buy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62256634
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    1h

“They were plans in a manifesto that led us to our worst election defeat in nearly a century” #today

I suspect we will see that argument used to ditch anything vaguely awkward for the Labour Party - who are now utterly focussed on winning the next election..
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Cars are the real culprit. I'm always shocked when I leave London how fat everyone is elsewhere. The main difference is people in London walk places.
    You need to walk a long way to make up for all the cakes people eat.

Perhaps those Bake Off programs should come with a health warning.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Where’s your evidence that the French, German or Swiss systems are more efficient? The usual international comparisons put the UK as being more efficient.
    The healthcare outcomes they deliver for their populations in cancer survival rates, diabetes, stroke and post-op mortality:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/International-Health-Care-Outcomes-Index-FINAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjopKHwyZP5AhWEg1wKHfKkBosQFnoECD0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw16Mc5vqNQ1OiHKtupFiHYv
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,215

Good morning ladies and gentlemen!

As someone whose health situation seems to be deteriorating by the day I am extremely concerned by the headlines about lack of NHS staff. If I stop posting soon it may be that my hands are sufficiently immobilised to prevent me opening the computer; typing is already beyond me, so I'm dictating. And sometimes the result is very odd indeed; I didn't think my accent was that strange!
    At time of "writing" I can dictate but have to edit a few words, which sometimes takes a while!

Sending you best wishes!!!
  • Options
    eek said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    1h

I suspect we will see that argument used to ditch anything vaguely awkward for the Labour Party - who are now utterly focussed on winning the next election..
    It's a shame they've abandoned the railways, the rest is fair enough, not priorities for this stage
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

Interesting. Where does that come from?

OK, I see it's to do with the cost of insulin only. I thought the efficiency point was wider.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Trust me, if we never had to talk about Tories ever again I would be delighted. The brutal truth is that we are stuck with them for at least two years,

The NHS needs help now, not just yet another reorg or ideological driven campaign. I would like solutions that deal with real problems, such as stopping people I care about having to wait 18 months in pain.

Nice political rhetoric - "help now", "solutions to deal with real problems".

What are your solutions?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

Because it's difficult to get usable data from Europe while the US is very open book and very easy to compare against.

The one system I have a vague clue about is Bulgaria because I replaced the IT systems of one of their biggest insurance firms.

But there private medical care isn't sold as private care it's sold as Better Care which makes comparing it with elsewhere really awkward.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We've already been having chip shortages due to the drought been dwarfed by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A Chinese invasion would make that look like a picnic.
    The point being that that is a considerably greater strategic threat to us than the Russian government behaving like a bunch of drunken lunatics with small cocks and delusions of grandeur. The invasion of Ukraine seems to have been the last roll of the imperial dice for them, and it's failed. Even though they probably will end up controlling parts of Ukraine at least for now, they have been humiliated and thei
    army broken.
    So China remains the greater threat to
    Europe. That's not to say Russia isn't a threat - we need to be upping our capacity to both counter and conduct cyber warfare, for instance - but even that wouldn't be possible without Taiwan.
    I hope you are right about Russia’s defeat. Ukraine has certainly shown it’s not the power many assumed it to be. That said, I am less inclined to write them off just yet, given the size of the country and the natural resources it has. Let’s get through next winter first.

It seems to me that the best way for Europe to do its bit in containing China is to do more of the heavy lifting to contain Russia.

• Options

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

The NHS’s priorities are democratically chosen: I don’t know why you say we have “no choice”.

People in France, Germany and Switzerland are, on average, paying more for their healthcare than we are. If you’re suggesting we should increase UK healthcare spending to match German levels, then I agree with you.
    Yes, but I'm arguing that should not be done through central taxation and a monolithic model.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    rkrkrk said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

I think it's a mistake to see spending on healthcare as strangling the economy. In a very real way - it supports the economy because it keeps people healthy enough to work.

Although I don't fully buy John Burn-Murdoch's analysis on this - it's striking how the UK is the only developed country where the share of working age people outside the labour force has kept rising after the initial pandemic shock.

When you look at the number of long-term sick going up... at least part of the reason has got to be the pressure the NHS is under, and the fact that there aren't the staff to cope.

https://www.ft.com/content/c333a6d8-0a56-488c-aeb8-eeb1c05a34d2
    Also, >90% of every £ spent on health in this country is circulated straight back into the economy.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Needing to divert resources to the Asia Pacific for the exact same reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    For those on here who regularly promote the 'virtues' of nationalism and patriotism, here's were it leads:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/24/viktor-orban-against-race-mixing-europe-hungary
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

For those on here who regularly promote the 'virtues' of nationalism and patriotism, here's were it leads:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/24/viktor-orban-against-race-mixing-europe-hungary

Bullshit. That has bugger all to do with nationalism or patriotism, it is pure and unadulterated racism.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,361
    moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

strength and more about our weakness. We might be able to do something about the latter if we focused on that.
    Our key weakness is that we have traded strategic resilience to save pennies. Globalisation has made the western economic system very fragile indeed, as we are now seeing. And in many cases, we have outsourced key components of our economic system to a country which defines itself as our adversary, whether we wish to acknowledge that or not.

The legacy of Blair looms large. Labour historically was a proud party of national security, strategic interest and patriotism but no more. Corbyn very nearly finished the job! In turn the Tories have become increasingly complacent on national security and adopted a purely managerial approach to foreign affairs, with foreign autocrats first and foremost a backdoor source of party funding and off balance sheet government borrowing. I struggle quite a lot with certain prominent posters continued adoration for George Osborne given his relationships with the oligarchs and abject nativity in pursuing the Chinese to help run our nuclear industry.

I desperately hope Tugendhat gets a big job in Cabinet so he can make the case for strategic resilience from inside government.
    Is it really Tony Blair's fault that Conservative governments both before and since have decimated Britain's armed forces while taking money from oligarchs and hostile powers?
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

So do Londoners eat less cake? Maybe aversion to Johnsonian cakeism explains why we didn't vote for Brexit.
  • Options

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

Yes, but I'm arguing that should not be done through central taxation and a monolithic model.
    Why does spending a smaller amount on health through the NHS 'strangle the economy' more than spending a larger % of GDP via a mixed model would?
  • Options

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

Is it really Tony Blair's fault that Conservative governments both before and since have decimated Britain's armed forces while taking money from oligarchs and hostile powers?
    Yes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Currently we have 18.6% of the pop over 65.
    By 2050 that's 25.3%
    By 2100 30%.

We'll hit the steady state at some point, but it's a long way in the future.

How does Japan structure their healthcare, they're already at our ~ 2090 point in terms of age pyramid (28.6% 65+)
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

That isn't sustainable.
    It's a % of Department Expenditure Limits (DEL) - health was £193bn of £566.2bn DEL in 2021.

DEL is only about half of total managed expenditure (TME). The other component is annually managed expenditure (AME), things like welfare spending which are less amenable to the multi year budgeting framework used in DEL.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nice political rhetoric - "help now", "solutions to deal with real problems".

What are your solutions?
    Step one, install some actual political leadership focussed less on scoring points in identity politics (I do not care what ear rings or shoes someone has) and narrow ideological gimmicks designed to delight geriatric members.

Get out the chequebook where money can make a difference now. We did it during covid, we can do it again. Tax wealth if necessary. We are all in this together after all.

Stop wasting money on Boris pet projects and stop asking doctors and nurses to pay for training. If necessary up the fees for less practical courses to pay for it (I’m thinking PPE in Oxford).

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

Foxy said:

The only answer is to stop treating a healthcare system as a national religion, and encourage everyone in work to have private insurance.

Also a massive increase in university places in medical fields, to back up overseas recruitment.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62287310

Labour government would prioritise growth - Starmer
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

We're going to get a worse PM than Boris, aren't we?

For me, no. He was the pits. I think Sunak or Truss will be better.
  • Options
    As part of Labour's plan to reboot growth, Sir Keir will announce that his government would establish an Industrial Strategy Council, which will hold government to account and be a "permanent part of the landscape" that sets out strategic national priorities "beyond the political cycle".

He will also say it is possible to see economic growth while achieving the UK's target to hit net-zero - where the amount of greenhouse gas emitted into the atmosphere is balanced by the amount removed.
  • Options

FF43 said:

The healthcare outcomes they deliver for their populations in cancer survival rates, diabetes, stroke and post-op mortality:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/International-Health-Care-Outcomes-Index-FINAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjopKHwyZP5AhWEg1wKHfKkBosQFnoECD0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw16Mc5vqNQ1OiHKtupFiHYv
    I've seen reports that need a sanity check before but that has a great one

The last bullet point in the summary reads

The UK ranked second out of 15 countries in terms of households who faced
    catastrophic health spending (latest year)

Which sounds like a complete disaster until you look at what the data actually says which is that we are second (to Ireland) for having the lowest number of households with such issues (1.6%)

I suspect if I looked at the other points a few others with be very similar...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

"Decimated". Not really.

But you know, vast amounts of treasure were spent on Iraq, which hurt both our military's standing and finances.

And as for taking money form Russian oligarchs:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/8787049/Tony-Blair-linked-to-Libyan-deal-with-Russian-oligarch.html
    https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/londongrad-a-citys-addiction-to-russian-oligarchs-and-easy-money/
    + many more.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

ydoethur said:

Needing to divert resources to the Asia Pacific for the exact same reason.
    I think these questions are all deeply interconnected. Both Russia and China must be contained, and the western countries are better off working together on this. I think (to its credit) this is the position of the British government.
  • Options

As part of Labour's plan to reboot growth, Sir Keir will announce that his government would establish an Industrial Strategy Council, which will hold government to account and be a "permanent part of the landscape" that sets out strategic national priorities "beyond the political cycle".

He will also say it is possible to see economic growth while achieving the UK's target to hit net-zero - where the amount of greenhouse gas emitted into the atmosphere is balanced by the amount removed.

Oh it really is possible to see both growth as we try and hit net-zero (it requires investment which may as a side effect improve productivity)

And done sensible it will give us whole new industries that we can export to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Bullshit. That has bugger all to do with nationalism or patriotism, it is pure and unadulterated racism.
    We all know that Orbán's approach is just Johnson/Patel etc. on steroids. Don't try to pretend that that's not where we are headed if the Tory membership get their way.

If you believe otherwise you really are deluded.

You'll be claiming Blair for the last 12 years of Tory misrule next. Oh...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

We're going to get a worse PM than Boris, aren't we?

For me, no. He was the pits. I think Sunak or Truss will be better.
    Sunak I can see being better than Bozo (let's be honest it's a really low bar). I'm not sure about Truss though - there are reasons why I think she may be worse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

By 2050 that's 25.3%
    By 2100 30%.

Although a 70 year old now should be healthier than a 70 year old of previous generations.

Its the very old and sick which use up the health (and social care) resources.

Given that, in my experience at least, few of them still derive any pleasure from life whether that is the best use of limited resources seems doubtful.
  • Options
    eek said:

FF43 said:

I've seen reports that need a sanity check before but that has a great one

The last bullet point in the summary reads

The UK ranked second out of 15 countries in terms of households who faced
    catastrophic health spending (latest year)

Which sounds like a complete disaster until you look at what the data actually says which is that we are second (to Ireland) for having the lowest number of households with such issues (1.6%)

I suspect if I looked at the other points a few others with be very similar...
    No, you have just jumped to the wrong interpretation. Read it a second time. They are saying the UK is the second best on that score!

• Options
    We spend ever increasing sums on the NHS, and yet simultaneously end up with front line service provision being starved of funds and in some places for some care largely unavailable.

So it isn't how much money we are spending, its how we are spending it. Yes the population is getting older and that costs more. But we don't spend money on preventative medicine - the national obesity crisis being a prime example of how spending now could save far more in the future.

It's also desperately inefficient. The myriad providers all stacked on top of each other, all with separate management systems and contracts and people who are a cost to make the machine work as opposed to a cost of healthcare. There has to be a way to take an axe to much of this - having GPs running themselves as a CCG buying in healthcare contracts being one example of how to waste money.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

"Decimated". Not really.

But you know, vast amounts of treasure were spent on Iraq, which hurt both our military's standing and finances.

And as for taking money form Russian oligarchs:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/8787049/Tony-Blair-linked-to-Libyan-deal-with-Russian-oligarch.html
    https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/londongrad-a-citys-addiction-to-russian-oligarchs-and-easy-money/
    + many more.
    "Decimated" is the right word to use and shows why it's all Tony Blair's fault.

When the Blair/Brown era of government came to an end systemic overspending meant the government was borrowing £1 for every £3 of spending.

So 25% of all spending was unaffordable.

If military spending was "decimated" (one tenth removed) then that is far better than one quarter removed which is what Blair/Brown should have led to.

QED Blair (and Brown) caused decimation.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

So do Londoners eat less cake? Maybe aversion to Johnsonian cakeism explains why we didn't vote for Brexit.
    Seriously I think its a subject which needs research.

How eating habits vary for different demographics and its effect on public health.
  • Options

My initial response was "how?". OK I can see that he is talking about an Industrial Strategy Council, but that is the kind of toothless talking shop that gets a brief fanfare then gets ignored then gets abolished.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

By 2050 that's 25.3%
    By 2100 30%.

How does Japan structure their healthcare, they're already at our ~ 2090 point in terms of age pyramid (28.6% 65+)
    Some of that increase is due to expected increases in life expectancy. If people live longer they should expect the extra years to be shared between working years and retirement years.

So an increase in the pension age means that the increase in the dependent elderly population shouldn't be so large.

However, given that future expected change in the age structure we should expect our healthcare to cost more, and we should plan on that basis, rather than delude ourselves that we can double our elderly population and expect to pay the same amount for healthcare.
  • Options
    Is Starmer just going to pretend that the Labour leadership election never happened?

"Keir Starmer promises to abolish tuition fees and nationalise industries if he becomes PM"
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-election-abolish-tuition-fees-nationalisation-396843
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

What makes Truss potentially so dangerous is that, unlike Johnson, she:
    1. Actually believes what she says
    2. Is not bone idle
    Put those two together and the damage she could do is pretty sizeable.

You say damage, I say progress.

Worth a roll of the dice.
    All I know for certain is that if it goes wrong Truss’s supporters will blame everyone but her (and themselves).

All I know for certain is the unhinged Tory/Brexit haters will stay unhinged Tory/Brexit haters regardless of who the new PM is and what they do or don't do.
  • Options

We spend ever increasing sums on the NHS, and yet simultaneously end up with front line service provision being starved of funds and in some places for some care largely unavailable.

So it isn't how much money we are spending, its how we are spending it. Yes the population is getting older and that costs more. But we don't spend money on preventative medicine - the national obesity crisis being a prime example of how spending now could save far more in the future.

It's also desperately inefficient. The myriad providers all stacked on top of each other, all with separate management systems and contracts and people who are a cost to make the machine work as opposed to a cost of healthcare. There has to be a way to take an axe to much of this - having GPs running themselves as a CCG buying in healthcare contracts being one example of how to waste money.

You need investment to create the conditions where it is possible to deal with those inefficiencies and thereby unlock that hidden potential.
  • Options

Is Starmer just going to pretend that the Labour leadership election never happened?

"Keir Starmer promises to abolish tuition fees and nationalise industries if he becomes PM"
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-election-abolish-tuition-fees-nationalisation-396843

Keir Starmer has learned the art of how to win leadership elections then pivot to the country. Only one recent Labour leader has done the same
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

The notion of the NHS as a drag on the economy comes from the (common) misconception that the private sector creates wealth and the public sector consumes it. This is not true. It wrongly conflates wealth creation with fiscal cashflow. They aren't the same. Whether an activity creates wealth or not depends on the nature of the activity not which sector of the economy it resides in.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Seriously I think its a subject which needs research.

How eating habits vary for different demographics and its effect on public health.
    We are down in the South West this week and people here are seriously overweight. Mind you I just had a scone with clotted cream and jam for breakfast so maybe I am about to join them.
  • Options
    Driver said:

2. Is not bone idle

All I know for certain is that if it goes wrong Truss’s supporters will blame everyone but her (and themselves).

All I know for certain is the unhinged Tory/Brexit haters will stay unhinged Tory/Brexit haters regardless of who the new PM is and what they do or don't do.
    I don’t think there’s anything unhinged in disliking the mess this government has caused. We’ll just have to disagree on that.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

The only answer is to stop treating a healthcare system as a national religion, and encourage everyone in work to have private insurance.

Also a massive increase in university places in medical fields, to back up overseas recruitment.
    If people can afford private health insurance then they can afford an increase in tax.

This is an argument about whether to pay for health via general taxation - proportional to ability to pay - or by private insurance - a flat rate for those who can afford to do so and tough luck for anyone else.

It's not about NHS as a religion. It's a pure left v right the rich don't want to pay for the poor's healthcare issue.
  • Options
    Problem for Sunak is that he wants to be honest about the economy which boils down to the public as, you had 12 years to sort it out, why didn't you.

They're on losing ground on the economy, which I think Truss has accepted hence why she's trying to move away from 12 years of failure
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You need investment to create the conditions where it is possible to deal with those inefficiencies and thereby unlock that hidden potential.
    So 'give us more money and everything will get better' ?

Which the NHS has been saying since 1948.

You're more likely to lock in those inefficiencies than unlock hidden potential by providing more 'investment'.
  • Options

Keir Starmer has learned the art of how to win leadership elections then pivot to the country. Only one recent Labour leader has done the same
    Indeed he's got the integrity and honesty of Boris Johnson and Tony Blair.

It may work to win an election.
  • Options

You should vote for him then, you clearly don't value honesty or integrity in politicians
  • Options

You should vote for him then, you clearly don't value honesty or integrity in politicians
    They're politicians. I expect it from them. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just amused at seeing people who acted all outraged at Boris showing a lack of integrity lapping up and loving Keir doing the same.
  • Options

They're politicians. I expect it from them. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just amused at seeing people who acted all outraged at Boris showing a lack of integrity lapping up and loving Keir doing the same.
    Keir Starmer didn't party his way through lockdown
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,172
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

- $98.70
    - $7.52

One of Maggie Thatcher’s Destructions Of The NHS (I think it was the 18th or 19th complete destruction), was that, where possible, generics should be used instead of the more expensive branded drugs.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Driver said:

2. Is not bone idle

I always parse your name as "Driver, but only on the LHS of the road, none of this continental nonsense." It is stupid, lazy and bad mannered to call your opponents in an argument unhinged haters. Brexit may have been an OK idea, but are you seriously claiming its implementation has not been a shitshower? And it is probably natural Tories who have most reason to distrust and despise Johnson and his cronies and successors.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

If people can afford private health insurance then they can afford an increase in tax.

This is an argument about whether to pay for health via general taxation - proportional to ability to pay - or by private insurance - a flat rate for those who can afford to do so and tough luck for anyone else.

It's not about NHS as a religion. It's a pure left v right the rich don't want to pay for the poor's healthcare issue.
    The religion is exactly the problem. Having healthcare centrally planned by the government makes it such a political football.

There needs to be a mixed provision in order to encourage investment, because taxes are at a record high and people are living longer than ever.

Ask anyone who’s ever lived overseas, what they think of the NHS. The only countries with similar state-run systems are former communist countries, everywhere else has a mixed public and private system.
  • Options
    I genuinely believe Brexit can be a success in some sense.

But clearly only Labour can deliver that now, being the alternative option
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    eek said:

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    ·
    1h

There is no point winning elections if you are not proposing to actually do anything when you have won! A party that said it would take us back into the single market and add to the existing nationalisation of roads (except the M6 toll) and defence by nationalising trains and water for a start and consider adding other vital services might just clean up!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,361
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

What’s important to Nad:

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

So much is obvious. Less obvious is why and how they think it works for them. And, if it does, why?

Similar things happen on the left of course. In a sense it is more recent on the centre right. AD-H and Macmillan seemed to feel no need to dumb down.

Liz Truss is contrasting her background with her posh opponents' (plural, to include Boris, Jeremy Hunt and others besides Rishi) but now mainly Rishi, the out-of-touch squillionaire.

Rishi Sunak is leaning into a sort of Anglo-Indian multi-generational version of the American dream, while drawing vague parallels to Mrs Thatcher. His grandmother had nothing; his parents were middle-class professionals and he might be prime minister; he helped his mum by doing the accounts for her shop (pharmacy).

But Boris did not downplay his posh background and nor did David Cameron, although the latter did sometimes seem embarrassed. As I've said before, I doubt most voters care very much.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

The religion is exactly the problem. Having healthcare centrally planned by the government makes it such a political football.

There needs to be a mixed provision in order to encourage investment, because taxes are at a record high and people are living longer than ever.

Ask anyone who’s ever lived overseas, what they think of the NHS. The only countries with similar state-run systems are former communist countries, everywhere else has a mixed public and private system.
    And even those communist countries will have a private health care system on top - with many people bypassing the public system unless its an emergency..

Bulgaria's private insurance schemes (I know this as I had to redo the CRM solution of their largest insurance firm) were sold as "Best Doctor" so it's very much a replacement health service rather than a top up (quicker operation) scheme.
  • Options
    Hey @eek! :) How are you
  • Options

Has to be said, nice one Keir. But "Labour not fussed about growth" is unthinkable so it fails my test for being an interesting announcement.

My test being - it must be possible to imagine the opposite being announced.
This discussion has been closed.