Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Truss continues to be a 65% chance in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    eek said:

Mr. Eagles, if Truss wins, will you be retaining your membership?

Yes, because there’ll be another leadership contest before the election.
    So you expect another election after Truss is found out and removed.

And you expect that election will also allow a member's vote.

The Tory party is utterly insane if that's the case.
    Yes. Just look at how few Tory MPs have backed her.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337

What’s important to Nad:

.⁦@trussliz⁩ will be travelling the country wearing her earrings which cost circa £4.50 from Claire Accessories. Meanwhile…

Rishi visits Teeside in Prada shoes worth £450 and sported £3,500 bespoke suit as he prepared for crunch leadership vote.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1551459390502440960

Perhaps someone should break it to Nads that the bust-up Church’s BJ favours currently cost £800-£1200.
    Unless Nadine next appears in public in a hessian sack, she is clearly a hypocrite.
  • Options

eek said:

Will you be retaining your membership when they reappoint Boris as leader .... ?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

No I said Keir was cleared because what he did was legal, but others doing the same thing was not legal because Keir and other lawmakers were saying legalising it for us was "reckless" - but it was legalised for themselves and they were doing it themselves while denying us our basic liberties.

I didn't gather inside with others in April 2021. I didn't have beer and korma inside with others in April 2021. I would have loved to, but it was illegal for me, and it was illegal because Keir and other politicians voted for it to be illegal for me and he was leading campaigns to keep it illegal for us, saying legalising it was reckless.

But it was legal for them. It wasn't too reckless for him to do it, just for us to do it.

I wanted lockdown lifted, it was screwing with my mental health, but I was kept in lockdown while he was having beer and korma with his colleagues inside while voting for us to stay lockdown and leading calls in Parliament that liftin it for us would be reckless. Legal for him, reckless for us.

We disagree, but never mind. Turning to the "hate-filled" nature of the curry, do you want to explain what you meant?
    It seems simple to me

Having 10 people gathered for a curry is either dangerous for covid spread or its not.

If its dangerous and needs to be discouraged it doesn't matter why they are gathered. Surprisingly covid doesnt say "oh they are on a political campaign so will leave them alone".

This I think is the point bart is making. At the same time politicians of all stripes and colours were telling families they couldnt get together because its too dangerous for covid spread they were exempting themselves for reasons
    Equally - restaurants were open and 10 people needed to be fed after working all day.

Bart really is clutching at straws
    It’s arrant nonsense. Many laws and regulations allow some people to do things and not others. If I have a blue badge I can park on double yellow lines and if I don’t I can’t.
    Rules written by politicians specifically to allow politicians to do things that everyone else can't deserve the greatest scrutiny.
    So are you saying we should have suspended the by-election?
    No, I'm saying those who argued for restrictions shouldn't have written exemptions for themselves into them.
    But it was the Tories that introduced it
    With the full support of Labour and Sir Keir who demanded stricter restrictions for longer and complained when the restrictions were lifter (even though that was months too late).

If Sir Keir had done his job and opposed the government, we wouldn't have had so many disastrous lockdowns for so long.
    But why are you having a go at Keir and not the Tories then, it seems weird. Boris Johnson put this policy into position voted for it and campaigned. Why is Keir the issue?
    Because even though it was many months too late, Boris and the Tories did eventually remove the restrictions when Sir Keir was demanding they be kept in place.

I also haven't seen any evidence of Boris going for a meal with a group of more than six people he didn't live with after a day of campaigning.
    The law exempted any volunteer out campaigning in that election. It’s not just politicians it’s any activist. Unless you’re suggesting that absolutely no-one should have been able to eat together indoors in those circumstances then I can’t understand what your point is. It seems to me that you’re real point was that you hated the idea of there being any pandemic related restrictions.
    (1) Activists are "them" in the "one rule for us, one rule for them"

(2) My point is that people who wanted restrictions - and who would go on to object to the removal of restrictions months later - shouldn't have been taking advantage of loopholes in the restrictions.
    Surely though the Conservative Party wanted restrictions because they brought in restrictions. Which had various exemptions. Which they exploited as much as the Labour team did.

So I struggle to follow your logic - is there any? You are attacking the people who wanted the restrictions and then exploited "loopholes" as being hypocrites. Yet only mention red rosette hypocrites and not the blue rosette hypocrites who actually introduced both the restrictions and the loopholes.

I assume you have a logical reason for this rather obvious screaming hypocrisy?
    Oh dear. Have you not been reading my comments? I've made it clear several times.

Boris and the Tories removed the restrictions. Many months too late, but they eventually did.

When they did, Sir Keir and Labour objected to the restrictions being removed.
    I must congratulate you. I have never seen such a spectacular (but very unconvincing) ballet performed on the very smallest of pinheads
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    No proper Conservative should object to how expensive Sunak's clothes are. He can spend his money how he chooses - that's what a Conservative should think.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1551475224880848897
  • Options
    The logic seems to be that Johnson was okay to campaign because he actually didn't want lockdown
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited July 2022

eek said:

Who will get the votes together to remove Truss ?

If they do, there's a strong chance Boris can cobble together 120 MPs. He wins very easily from that point.

So the anti-Boris faction won't move against her, and neither will the Boris loyalists.

I think she's secure till the next election.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Will you be retaining your membership when they reappoint Boris as leader .... ?
    TSE is correct imho.

Leadership election again next summer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What’s important to Nad:

.⁦@trussliz⁩ will be travelling the country wearing her earrings which cost circa £4.50 from Claire Accessories. Meanwhile…

Rishi visits Teeside in Prada shoes worth £450 and sported £3,500 bespoke suit as he prepared for crunch leadership vote.

Perhaps someone should break it to Nads that the bust-up Church’s BJ favours currently cost £800-£1200.
    Unless Nadine next appears in public in a hessian sack, she is clearly a hypocrite.
    I guess Nadine "attention span of a goldfish" Dorries has forgotten about certain rolls of wallpaper.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Is Starmer just going to pretend that the Labour leadership election never happened?

"Keir Starmer promises to abolish tuition fees and nationalise industries if he becomes PM"
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-election-abolish-tuition-fees-nationalisation-396843

Keir Starmer has learned the art of how to win leadership elections then pivot to the country. Only one recent Labour leader has done the same
    Indeed he's got the integrity and honesty of Boris Johnson and Tony Blair.

It may work to win an election.
    You should vote for him then, you clearly don't value honesty or integrity in politicians
    They're politicians. I expect it from them. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just amused at seeing people who acted all outraged at Boris showing a lack of integrity lapping up and loving Keir doing the same.
    Keir Starmer didn't party his way through lockdown
    Indeed. Instead he wanted us locked down for longer, calling lifting lockdown reckless etc, while he was prepared to engage in large gatherings of beer and korma. Legal for him but reckless and keep it illegal for the Plebs to do the same thing eh?

A bit like the performative nonsense of Labour not bothering to wear face masks at Party Conference but wearing them at PMQs to make a point.
    He was involved in campaigning events like Johnson was, which were deemed perfectly legal. Boris Johnson was fined for having a party where a suitcase of booze was smuggled in.

This is not a good line of ground for you to be going down, you just look silly
    He wanted it to be illegal for you and me to visit our family and friends, jeopardising our mental health, while he was legally "campaigning" with large gatherings of beer and korma. He was calling lifting lockdown reckless while engaging in large gatherings personally.

Fuck him. Fucking hypocrite. If gatherings were reckless, he shouldn't have been doing them. If they weren't reckless he should have been calling for lifting lockdown not chastising the government as reckless for lifting it.
    You should go tell the police that they have got it wrong. Starmer was not partying with beer and korma. Saying he was is like watching a trial, the guy is cleared of all charges and there you are outside the court saying "well I say he is guilty because I don't like him"
    Yeah. It is nonsense. Durham Police did the investigation and are in posession of the facts. SKS broke no law and we should accept the decision of the investigators. Durham Police Force are a good police force. They are not the met.
    I know how gutted Philip was when the result came in. But now it is the Police that are the problem because he didn't like the result.

One man has received a FPN for smuggling in cake and booze. One man had a campaigning event and Durham Police cleared him not once but twice.
    @MikeSmithson @TSE @PBModerator the off topic police are back, is this going to be dealt with?
    I flagged posts that dead-named me in a way that's uncivil and against the rules.

If you want to disagree with what I say, then disagree with it. Don't use my real life name to troll me.
    “dead-named”?!?!!! In this context? We all owe Leon a massive apology if that’s now a thing on a…erm…blog message board.
    You can still call Leon by his real name ("Xipe") - he doesn't mind.
    So who was ORKA ?
    An insult worthy of Leon, a dyslexic vegetable.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

The prospects of a Sunak win are deterioating sharply. I was surprised that there was not more effort at the weekend just past. It may be that the ODI and GP distracted me excessively but there seems to have been very little effort to reach the electorate in this contest. Maybe it was going on online in social media etc.

Tonight Rishi really has to persuade the electorate that Truss's economic plans are both irresponsible and unlikely to work. The risk is that if he loses he gives Labour its attack lines for the next 2 years. I suspect what he has to say will have far more traction with the electorate as a whole than with Conservative Party Members.

It's why having a membership vote for party leader is utterly insane - as you say the arguments used by candidate A against candidate B are sat waiting to be reused 2 years later....
    In fairness it probably works in opposition but in government the Tories could really have done without this.
    Yep - if MPs had been left with a choice firstly the election would have been very different.
    Secondly we would have someone else as PM rather than 6 weeks of Bozo trying to complete his "wish list of things to do as PM"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    If the Rishi backers DO move against Truss, they'll get Boris back. So they won't.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    The "One law for politicians.." dweebs need to have a think about being careful what they wish for. Which would you rather, a law which says Our democratic institutions are special and carry on regardless, and too right candidates and those campaigning for them are privileged as fuck, or a law which says Democratic institutions including campaigning and voting are suspended indefinitely because of the humongous catastrophe engulfing us and us being all in this together, normal service to be resumed at a point to be decided by us? The Poster Currently Known As Bart gives it large about the primacy of democracy in other contexts.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    IshmaelZ said:

Driver said:

Don't forget boys and girls that we still have to have the full enquiry (public? statutory? parliamentary? I can't remember what had been agreed) into Covid - and lockdown will be a big chunk of it.

Lockdown was awful but it was needed.

Nonsense. There was possibly justification for the initial three weeks - certainly under the media onslaught it would have taken a very special politician to stand up for the right thing. But even at the three week renewal, we knew that it hadn't been necessary, that infections had peaked before lockdown, and therefore that voluntary action had been enough.
    Are you somebody else, if you don't mind my asking?
    He is Boris Johnson’s driver, and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

No I said Keir was cleared because what he did was legal, but others doing the same thing was not legal because Keir and other lawmakers were saying legalising it for us was "reckless" - but it was legalised for themselves and they were doing it themselves while denying us our basic liberties.

I didn't gather inside with others in April 2021. I didn't have beer and korma inside with others in April 2021. I would have loved to, but it was illegal for me, and it was illegal because Keir and other politicians voted for it to be illegal for me and he was leading campaigns to keep it illegal for us, saying legalising it was reckless.

But it was legal for them. It wasn't too reckless for him to do it, just for us to do it.

I wanted lockdown lifted, it was screwing with my mental health, but I was kept in lockdown while he was having beer and korma with his colleagues inside while voting for us to stay lockdown and leading calls in Parliament that liftin it for us would be reckless. Legal for him, reckless for us.

We disagree, but never mind. Turning to the "hate-filled" nature of the curry, do you want to explain what you meant?
    It seems simple to me

Having 10 people gathered for a curry is either dangerous for covid spread or its not.

If its dangerous and needs to be discouraged it doesn't matter why they are gathered. Surprisingly covid doesnt say "oh they are on a political campaign so will leave them alone".

This I think is the point bart is making. At the same time politicians of all stripes and colours were telling families they couldnt get together because its too dangerous for covid spread they were exempting themselves for reasons
    Equally - restaurants were open and 10 people needed to be fed after working all day.

It’s arrant nonsense. Many laws and regulations allow some people to do things and not others. If I have a blue badge I can park on double yellow lines and if I don’t I can’t.
    Rules written by politicians specifically to allow politicians to do things that everyone else can't deserve the greatest scrutiny.
    No, I'm saying those who argued for restrictions shouldn't have written exemptions for themselves into them.
    With the full support of Labour and Sir Keir who demanded stricter restrictions for longer and complained when the restrictions were lifter (even though that was months too late).

If Sir Keir had done his job and opposed the government, we wouldn't have had so many disastrous lockdowns for so long.
    But why are you having a go at Keir and not the Tories then, it seems weird. Boris Johnson put this policy into position voted for it and campaigned. Why is Keir the issue?
    Because even though it was many months too late, Boris and the Tories did eventually remove the restrictions when Sir Keir was demanding they be kept in place.

I also haven't seen any evidence of Boris going for a meal with a group of more than six people he didn't live with after a day of campaigning.
    The law exempted any volunteer out campaigning in that election. It’s not just politicians it’s any activist. Unless you’re suggesting that absolutely no-one should have been able to eat together indoors in those circumstances then I can’t understand what your point is. It seems to me that you’re real point was that you hated the idea of there being any pandemic related restrictions.

(2) My point is that people who wanted restrictions - and who would go on to object to the removal of restrictions months later - shouldn't have been taking advantage of loopholes in the restrictions.
    Surely though the Conservative Party wanted restrictions because they brought in restrictions. Which had various exemptions. Which they exploited as much as the Labour team did.

So I struggle to follow your logic - is there any? You are attacking the people who wanted the restrictions and then exploited "loopholes" as being hypocrites. Yet only mention red rosette hypocrites and not the blue rosette hypocrites who actually introduced both the restrictions and the loopholes.

Oh dear. Have you not been reading my comments? I've made it clear several times.

Boris and the Tories removed the restrictions. Many months too late, but they eventually did.

And before they removed the restrictions, they *introduced* the restrictions.

Laws were written to stop you or I doing things but allowing political activists to do so.

Were those written by:
    (a) Boris Johnson, or
    (b) Kier Starmer?

I'll give you a clue. One of them was the Prime Minister, the other one wasn't. You are saying "well Starmer objected to the restrictions being removed. OK, but Johnson *wrote* the restrictions you are so upset about. Complete with the "loopholes" then exploited by one Boris Johnson amongst others.
    Boris isn't going to be a candidate for PM at the next election, so he's irrelevant anyway.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

Bingo! Exactly the point I was making, well put.
    I don’t disagree with that although I suspect from the opposite end of the spectrum (as someone with a very sick mum I was and continue to be careful with COVID). The fact remains though that those exemptions did exist for political campaigns just as they existed for a whole host of activities. Picking on Kier Starmer for following the law just seems odd.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

The prospects of a Sunak win are deterioating sharply. I was surprised that there was not more effort at the weekend just past. It may be that the ODI and GP distracted me excessively but there seems to have been very little effort to reach the electorate in this contest. Maybe it was going on online in social media etc.

Tonight Rishi really has to persuade the electorate that Truss's economic plans are both irresponsible and unlikely to work. The risk is that if he loses he gives Labour its attack lines for the next 2 years. I suspect what he has to say will have far more traction with the electorate as a whole than with Conservative Party Members.

It's why having a membership vote for party leader is utterly insane - as you say the arguments used by candidate A against candidate B are sat waiting to be reused 2 years later....
    In fairness it probably works in opposition but in government the Tories could really have done without this.
    Yep - if MPs had been left with a choice firstly the election would have been very different.
    Secondly we would have someone else as PM rather than 6 weeks of Bozo trying to complete his "wish list of things to do as PM"
    In Government Labour skip the membership element
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Also if FPTP is a good enough system to select an MP and regional Mayor's it's good enough to pick the leader of the Tory party.

Which means Rishi should have been in No 10 for 10 days now (FPTP) or 4 days (MPs only voting)
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

Laws were written to stop you or I doing things but allowing political activists to do so.

Were those written by:
    (a) Boris Johnson, or
    (b) Kier Starmer?

I'll give you a clue. One of them was the Prime Minister, the other one wasn't. You are saying "well Starmer objected to the restrictions being removed. OK, but Johnson *wrote* the restrictions you are so upset about. Complete with the "loopholes" then exploited by one Boris Johnson amongst others.
    Boris isn't going to be a candidate for PM at the next election, so he's irrelevant anyway.
    Are you just here on a wind up?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

TSE is correct imho.

He may well be - and I might also be correct about Boris winning it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

If the Rishi backers DO move against Truss, they'll get Boris back. So they won't.

Depends if Bozo is forced out by the length of his public standards ban.... But yep - the risk of another leadership election is the return of Bozo.
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

Were those written by:
    (a) Boris Johnson, or
    (b) Kier Starmer?

Are you just here on a wind up?
    Certainly something elaborately contrarian about his posts
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

He's trying to jack up his flagging prospects.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Sunak is cr*p

Truss is cr*p.

But with Truss, you get some of your money back.

I'd go for the cheaper cr*p any day.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    algarkirk said:

We spend ever increasing sums on the NHS, and yet simultaneously end up with front line service provision being starved of funds and in some places for some care largely unavailable.

So it isn't how much money we are spending, its how we are spending it. Yes the population is getting older and that costs more. But we don't spend money on preventative medicine - the national obesity crisis being a prime example of how spending now could save far more in the future.

It's also desperately inefficient. The myriad providers all stacked on top of each other, all with separate management systems and contracts and people who are a cost to make the machine work as opposed to a cost of healthcare. There has to be a way to take an axe to much of this - having GPs running themselves as a CCG buying in healthcare contracts being one example of how to waste money.

It doesn't need more spending, it needs less spending on cakes. Why on earth does eating less and briskly walking more require spending?

Obesity is not caused by gluttony. It's caused by our lifestyles becoming more sedentary. Average calorie consumption is down in the UK. But our physically activity has declined by more.

If we spend money on our built environment differently we can encourage people to walk or cycle more and drive less, and therefore reduce obesity.

https://hbkportal.co.uk/index.php/geography/resourcereliance6/
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    MISTY said:

Sunak is cr*p

Truss is cr*p.

But with Truss, you get some of your money back.

I'd go for the cheaper cr*p any day.

The AliExpress PM?

Careful, you might get electrocuted.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175

eek said:

Yep:
    1. She has minimal and minority support amongst MPs
    2. She is bereft of a policy vision or clear ideas
    3. She is a dreadful communicator and looks set to appoint cabinet ministers who are worse

It can't end well. The party could have had a clean start but instead opted to put up the dwarf and the cosplayer to engage in a brutally bitter hate war attacking their own government all summer whilst Bonzo squats in Downing Street doing nothing as the various crises burn hotter and hotter.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572

Nigelb said:

eek said:

TSE is correct imho.

An interesting - and rarely advanced - perspective:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-prime-minister-truss-might-surprise-us-all

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826
    IshmaelZ said:

The "One law for politicians.." dweebs need to have a think about being careful what they wish for. Which would you rather, a law which says Our democratic institutions are special and carry on regardless, and too right candidates and those campaigning for them are privileged as fuck, or a law which says Democratic institutions including campaigning and voting are suspended indefinitely because of the humongous catastrophe engulfing us and us being all in this together, normal service to be resumed at a point to be decided by us? The Poster Currently Known As Bart gives it large about the primacy of democracy in other contexts.

You miss the point entirely. It is either ok for ten people to have a meal together or its not. They could have gone out campaigning then eaten their takeaways back in their hotel room just as easily. The curry added absolutely nothing to the democratic process other than being the most sane thing in the room and for avoidance of doubt I equally blame every single politician that thought they were too important to have rules imposed on them that they insisted the rest of us follow
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

If they do, there's a strong chance Boris can cobble together 120 MPs. He wins very easily from that point.

So the anti-Boris faction won't move against her, and neither will the Boris loyalists.

Depends. If the privileges committee report seems him recalled and no longer an MP then there is no Boris return.
  • Options
    The state of UK politics. This is Starmer’s new economic philosophy

“Starmer sets out 5 economic principles of a Labour government

- Financially responsible
    - Distinctively British
    - Partnership with business
    - Help mothers bake apple pie
    - Re-energise communities
    - Invest to boost productivity”

Only one of those was added by me
  • Options
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Is Starmer just going to pretend that the Labour leadership election never happened?

"Keir Starmer promises to abolish tuition fees and nationalise industries if he becomes PM"
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-labour-leadership-election-abolish-tuition-fees-nationalisation-396843

Keir Starmer has learned the art of how to win leadership elections then pivot to the country. Only one recent Labour leader has done the same
    Indeed he's got the integrity and honesty of Boris Johnson and Tony Blair.

It may work to win an election.
    You should vote for him then, you clearly don't value honesty or integrity in politicians
    They're politicians. I expect it from them. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just amused at seeing people who acted all outraged at Boris showing a lack of integrity lapping up and loving Keir doing the same.
    Keir Starmer didn't party his way through lockdown
    Indeed. Instead he wanted us locked down for longer, calling lifting lockdown reckless etc, while he was prepared to engage in large gatherings of beer and korma. Legal for him but reckless and keep it illegal for the Plebs to do the same thing eh?

A bit like the performative nonsense of Labour not bothering to wear face masks at Party Conference but wearing them at PMQs to make a point.
    He was involved in campaigning events like Johnson was, which were deemed perfectly legal. Boris Johnson was fined for having a party where a suitcase of booze was smuggled in.

This is not a good line of ground for you to be going down, you just look silly
    He wanted it to be illegal for you and me to visit our family and friends, jeopardising our mental health, while he was legally "campaigning" with large gatherings of beer and korma. He was calling lifting lockdown reckless while engaging in large gatherings personally.

Fuck him. Fucking hypocrite. If gatherings were reckless, he shouldn't have been doing them. If they weren't reckless he should have been calling for lifting lockdown not chastising the government as reckless for lifting it.
    You should go tell the police that they have got it wrong. Starmer was not partying with beer and korma. Saying he was is like watching a trial, the guy is cleared of all charges and there you are outside the court saying "well I say he is guilty because I don't like him"
    Yeah. It is nonsense. Durham Police did the investigation and are in posession of the facts. SKS broke no law and we should accept the decision of the investigators. Durham Police Force are a good police force. They are not the met.
    I know how gutted Philip was when the result came in. But now it is the Police that are the problem because he didn't like the result.

One man has received a FPN for smuggling in cake and booze. One man had a campaigning event and Durham Police cleared him not once but twice.
    @MikeSmithson @TSE @PBModerator the off topic police are back, is this going to be dealt with?
    I flagged posts that dead-named me in a way that's uncivil and against the rules.

If you want to disagree with what I say, then disagree with it. Don't use my real life name to troll me.
    “dead-named”?!?!!! In this context? We all owe Leon a massive apology if that’s now a thing on a…erm…blog message board.
    You can still call Leon by his real name ("Xipe") - he doesn't mind.
    So who was ORKA ?
    "Barty's" position on this is even more ludicrous than many of his views. He used his real name on here for years, and it is not as though it is a name that is particularly uncommon. In fact, I thought I would look up the number of people with "the name that shall not be named" on LinkedIn and there are literally thousands of them on there, including one bloke who is a cannabis engineer .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

Just trying to maintain standards, shirley?

On the substance, Limits to Growth was published in 1972 and its point seems to me to be sound, that you can't grow indefinitely in a finite world. Growth growth growth sounds like Global warming Global warming Global warming to me. Seriously I would join the Greens but for a marked disagreement with them on some aspects of wildlife management.
  • Options
    Leon said:

- Distinctively British

You needn't have made it too obvious. We all know that Labour aren't interested in re-energising communities.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

No I'm saying that lockdown should have been lifted instead of Keir saying lifting lockdown was reckless while engaging in campaigning and beer and korma that those he wanted locked down weren't having.
  • Options
    Grauniad Chief Political Correspondent sceptical:

I'm somewhat sceptical that voters know what this means for them. Growth does not necessarily mean higher wages, better public services, although it can. How would Labour grow the economy and what does that mean for people's pockets and services?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1551516908872155136

How has the economy grown since the GFC?

How have wages?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

On the substance, Limits to Growth was published in 1972 and its point seems to me to be sound, that you can't grow indefinitely in a finite world. Growth growth growth sounds like Global warming Global warming Global warming to me. Seriously I would join the Greens but for a marked disagreement with them on some aspects of wildlife management.
    He's emphasising he is the candidate of the union.

UNITE, UNISON, Union Jack...
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

No I'm saying that lockdown should have been lifted instead of Keir saying lifting lockdown was reckless while engaging in campaigning and beer and korma that those he wanted locked down weren't having.
    But what he did was legal - and Johnson did the same thing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

You needn't have made it too obvious. We all know that Labour aren't interested in re-energising communities.
    I dunno. They are, at least, quite keen on facilitating the taxi-driving communities in Telford and Oldham
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Driver said:

IshmaelZ said:

Driver said:

IshmaelZ said:

Driver said:

IshmaelZ said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

With the full support of Labour and Sir Keir who demanded stricter restrictions for longer and complained when the restrictions were lifted (even though that was months too late).

Alternatively, he could have said "going for a curry is technically legal, but we won't do it because it would make me a raging hypocrite".
    He didn't go for a curry.
    Eh?
    HE DID NOT GO FOR A CURRY

Can't see how to simplify this.
    Eh? What did he do then, if not go for a curry?
    Not like the facts are not accessible online
    Then it should be trivial for you to explain.
    It is.

Read the list of competing claims:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/08/what-is-beergate-and-why-does-it-matter

And reflect on the fact that the police have since settled the matter.

That you and Barty are evidently disappointed doesn't factor into it.
    I never said it was illegal.

I said that it should have been legal for the rest of us instead of illegal and "reckless".
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

I dunno. They are, at least, quite keen on facilitating the taxi-driving communities in Telford and Oldham
    Did an Albanian tell you that?
  • Options
    Leon said:

- Distinctively British

You really should stop being so dismissive.

British apples - we import far too many when we could be making Coxes Pippins (?) a global mega variety like Pink Lady
    British pastry - or crumble - made by all-British ingredients grown on CAP-free farms
    Exported all around the world and I-I-I can see see millions of consumers in new markets being happy to have found a slice of Glorious Great British Apple Pie.

That's why we need the freeports.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Boris coming back before the next GE, after two divisive leadership contests, would be the most self-indulgent thing a party has done in Government, surely ever. It would surely end the Conservatives as a force in politics for a decade. As much as I kind of want to see them go there (for the entertainment value, though I feel a weird anxiety knot at the thought of the consequences of them fannying around like that), I don't think even they are mad enough to behave like that in Government.
  • Options

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

British apples - we import far too many when we could be making Coxes Pippins (?) a global mega variety like Pink Lady
    British pastry - or crumble - made by all-British ingredients grown on CAP-free farms
    Exported all around the world and I-I-I can see see millions of consumers in new markets being happy to have found a slice of Glorious Great British Apple Pie.

Silliness.

Who would buy a pie that didn't include good honest British blackberries?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    Nigelb said:

What’s important to Nad:

Easily enough done, only 50 quid or so ...

https://www.redbubble.com/i/dress/Red-White-and-Blue-UK-Union-Jack-British-Burlap-Flag-by-podartist/22655351.V4WQ8
  • Options
    Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

Fecking ridiculous. When we discover he has one in his sitting room or study like all ministers in Johnson's government we will know that flag virtue signalling has reached peak absurdity.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Distinctively British is more than a bit ho hum.

And why are we not building microprocessor factories so we don't mind so much about Taiwan? Duodecimal if necessary.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

So say I want restrictions against drunk driving, it is hypocritical of me to be taking advantage of the loophole in the restrictions which says I can drive when I am sober?

The analogy would be to want the drink drive limit to be reduced to 50, but to be measured above 50, but below the current legal limit of 80.

I don't think it's wholly unreasonable to expect someone who is advocating a change to, "be the change they want to see," as someone may once have said. It's more egregious to break the law that you've created, but I'd still file Starmer's actions under taking the piss.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

But you and I couldn't. That's my issue, not trying to split hairs between politicians.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Nonsense. British pies for British mothers.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

But you and I couldn't. That's my issue, not trying to split hairs between politicians.
    So yes you're saying that there shouldn't have been any by-elections or any political activity of any kind.
  • Options

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Cox is overrated. Also, at their best they are small and wrinkled when what the market wants is large and glossy. Pink Lady is a scam.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Unpopular said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Boris coming back before the next GE, after two divisive leadership contests, would be the most self-indulgent thing a party has done in Government, surely ever. It would surely end the Conservatives as a force in politics for a decade. As much as I kind of want to see them go there (for the entertainment value, though I feel a weird anxiety knot at the thought of the consequences of them fannying around like that), I don't think even they are mad enough to behave like that in Government.
    Preferred PM amongst 2019 Conservative voters in weekend Deltapoll

Johnson 33%
    Truss 26%
    Sunak 24%

https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1550881157511782402?s=20&t=6jOUXFtS_fprVmi9tPyB0g
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

He's emphasising he is the candidate of the union.

UNITE, UNISON, Union Jack...
    lol, you are on form today.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880

algarkirk said:

We spend ever increasing sums on the NHS, and yet simultaneously end up with front line service provision being starved of funds and in some places for some care largely unavailable.

So it isn't how much money we are spending, its how we are spending it. Yes the population is getting older and that costs more. But we don't spend money on preventative medicine - the national obesity crisis being a prime example of how spending now could save far more in the future.

It's also desperately inefficient. The myriad providers all stacked on top of each other, all with separate management systems and contracts and people who are a cost to make the machine work as opposed to a cost of healthcare. There has to be a way to take an axe to much of this - having GPs running themselves as a CCG buying in healthcare contracts being one example of how to waste money.

It doesn't need more spending, it needs less spending on cakes. Why on earth does eating less and briskly walking more require spending?

Obesity is not caused by gluttony. It's caused by our lifestyles becoming more sedentary. Average calorie consumption is down in the UK. But our physically activity has declined by more.

If we spend money on our built environment differently we can encourage people to walk or cycle more and drive less, and therefore reduce obesity.

In 2020 we had the same number of cycling miles as we did in the 1960s. Amazing what happened to our cities as cars became affordable.
  • Options

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

Fecking ridiculous. When we discover he has one in his sitting room or study like all ministers in Johnson's government we will know that flag virtue signalling has reached peak absurdity.
    We won't know that Starmer is a patriot until we see his Union Flag duvet cover.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

In 2020 we had the same number of cycling miles as we did in the 1960s. Amazing what happened to our cities as cars became affordable.
    Is that total cycling miles, or cycling miles per person?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    edited July 2022
    DavidL said:

I don't think its true that governments cannot help the economy to grow but the effects are more indirect than direct. So a government that provides adequate infrastructure will make the areas affected more attractive; a country with an education system that works for most of the population will definitely improve productivity and output. An economic policy that encourages investment and training can do likewise.

Where I do agree with @kinabalu is that we should be deeply wary of politicians who promise both cake and the eating of cake. We have just tried that and it has not been a success. Most of the examples I have given above would almost certainly not bear fruit until the politician in question has left office. It is certainly not a justification for spending more on policy X right now.

Yes. I don't mean zero positive impact, I mean on the margins cf factors outside their control, and yes it's over the long term and everything serious and new creates losers as well as winners. There's no win/win quick way to grow the economy.

My silver bullet is a high quality egalitarian education system. This would be transformational imo - but it would take a long time, be difficult to achieve, and would be genuinely against the interests of some.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

So yes you're saying that there shouldn't have been any by-elections or any political activity of any kind.
    I'm saying if it was safe for him to have that activity it was safe for you and I to have done the same.

I'd have no objection if he'd wanted you and I to have the same liberties he did, but he didn't. He wanted us locked up at home still, forbidden by law from having a meal with friends or family etc but he could do that.

Indeed months after he was doing that he was still saying lifted lockdown for you and I was reckless.

He put his campaigning ahead of your or my mental health and liberty.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited July 2022
    If Boris broke the law then so did SKS.

Or rather, that one did and the other didn't shows what truly despicable laws they were. Proposed by the government and supported by the Opposition (forgetting their primary role in life).

It was an horrendous period for democracy and of course not just for us but globally.

As I wrote moons ago fuck them all.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Cox is overrated. Also, at their best they are small and wrinkled when what the market wants is large and glossy. Pink Lady is a scam.
    We're still talking about apples...?
  • Options

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

We won't know that Starmer is a patriot until we see his Union Flag duvet cover.
    Surely it's not his duvet cover?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6owwj7zPk
  • Options
    Our country became great through its embrace of free trade, free enterprise and free markets.

I am determined to double down on levelling up so that everyone has the opportunity to succeed as part of an aspiration nation.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1551442369287012354

Reassuring stuff
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,169
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

And why are we not building microprocessor factories so we don't mind so much about Taiwan? Duodecimal if necessary.
    “Distinctively British” is plain weird

“Like South Korea but in tweed” makes as much sense

And yet, here’s a thing: by incessantly banging on about his patriotism, by standing in front of 3000 floodlit Union Jacks, etc etc, Starmer IS making me warm to him, faintly, inasmuch as I now trust him to stand up for the Union, be nice about our Queen and country, not be a Corbyn style traitor

I guess his focus groups have told him that, post Corbyn, he has to be this blunt and basic. “I’m British, too, and I love Britain too, despite its flaws, let’s make it better”

Not a bad message, for a would-be Labour PM, in the context of Corbyn
  • Options

Leon said:

PUT OUT MORE FLAGS

I think we need to see Emily Thornberry tweet a picture of a flag on his house
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

I thought that “re-energising communities” was shorthand for letting the soap-dodgers and the BLM types carry on with the rioting and disruption peacefully protesting?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Alas, old age is what it is...
  • Options
    Leon said:

- Distinctively British

It was your idol Boris Johnson and his partner in crime Jeremy Corbyn who are mainly responsible for "the state of British politics" Our politics are now approaching banana republic absurdity.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

I'm saying if it was safe for him to have that activity it was safe for you and I to have done the same.

I'd have no objection if he'd wanted you and I to have the same liberties he did, but he didn't. He wanted us locked up at home still, forbidden by law from having a meal with friends or family etc but he could do that.

Indeed months after he was doing that he was still saying lifted lockdown for you and I was reckless.

The problem with all this is that there were stacks of exemptions from day 1. We couldn't shut the entire economy down, so key workers were designated. Was a load of people in a factory a high risk factor of spreading the pox and potentially killing their colleagues? Yes - and for those of us running such factories it was a fucking nightmare.

It was never about x is safe and y is unsafe. It was always about managing risk, and certain activities had to do so because just shutting them down was problematic.

Political campaigning was on the list. Its easy for the people who either hated all restrictions or are pathological about Keir Starmer to retrospectively try and change the rules and the context, but it doesn't change reality. No matter how angry you are that most of us are ignoring your tirades.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Our country became great through its embrace of free trade, free enterprise and free markets.

I am determined to double down on levelling up so that everyone has the opportunity to succeed as part of an aspiration nation.

Reassuring stuff

Blimey.

How's she got drunk at this time of the morning?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Or rather, that one did and the other didn't shows what truly despicable laws they were. Proposed by the government and supported by the Opposition (forgetting their primary role in life).

It was an horrendous period for democracy and of course not just for us but globally.

Different laws at different times?

I had the lights on without any curtains last night - during WW2 that could have been aiding the enemy...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

They are trying to a-peel to their *core* vote
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

We'd better be, if we don't want suing by Sir Geoffrey.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

And yet, here’s a thing: by incessantly banging on about his patriotism, by standing in front of 3000 floodlit Union Jacks, etc etc, Starmer IS making me warm to him, faintly, inasmuch as I now trust him to stand up for the Union, be nice about our Queen and country, not be a Corbyn style traitor

I guess his focus groups have told him that, post Corbyn, he has to be this blunt and basic. “I’m British, too, and I love Britain too, despite its flaws, let’s make it better”

Tend to agree. Now that the hunting issue is a dead duck anyway I can see myself voting for him. Not that it makes any difference given the safety of the tory seat I live in.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Which would, of course, be Granny Smith, amongst other grannies.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

But they can only manage it by finding a windfall.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

As I said yesterday, I find flag-shagging to be baffling. If you want to use it as an emblem of the country and a marketing tool, that's great! We sell so much Chinese-made union jack covered tat to tourists and we could do a lot more. There have been waves of "Cool Britannia" style export bonanzas. Which are also great.

The problem is when the flag-shaggers take over. The flag ceases to be an emblem of identity and trade but instead a token of exclusion and hate and division.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Different laws at different times?

I had the lights on without any curtains last night - during WW2 that could have been aiding the enemy...
    Yeah and those laws as now here and by you right this minute are accepted with no question. Seatbelts, you say; lights on in WW2.

The government told us who and how many people we were allowed to have in our homes and you cheer them on because they had fifty pages of legislation explaining it all.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

But they can only manage it by finding a windfall.
    Or else, as Dennis Healey didn't say, "squeeze them until the pips squeak"
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Reassuring stuff

Blimey.

It is wine and cheese day 🍷🧀
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Is that total cycling miles, or cycling miles per person?
    Total miles I think? Which makes it even more extraordinary.

On the obesity thing, I'm quite sceptical that a lack of exercise is the reason for our obesity crisis. You need to do an awful lot of running to burn off a fish supper.

Perhaps manual labour (mining etc) meant that people could get away with eating more in the past, rather than recreational exercise? Would explain the average calorie difference.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Don’t worry guys - the revenge of the Millennials will drag us back into the EU at some point and it will be glorious.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Reassuring stuff

Blimey.

It is wine and cheese day 🍷🧀
    Still not a good day for a Party though...
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

You haven't mentioned British apple pie pastry made with English cheese - that is a DISGRACE.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    edited July 2022
    The Boris court action, the two-tier voting system, the seven week process, the rumour mill about personal lives and personal conduct and personal spending. The cavernous gap between the MPs and the members.

This leadership election could go very seriously pear-shaped for the tories.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Tend to agree. Now that the hunting issue is a dead duck anyway I can see myself voting for him. Not that it makes any difference given the safety of the tory seat I live in.
    Likewise. Unless the Tories can come up with a radically different proposal I expect Labour to be the next govt and I’m quite reconciled to it. A bit like 1997 (but in more dangerous times)

I’ll never vote for Labour, but if they are basically patriotic, and they tell the SNP to fuck off, and they won’t wreck the economy: let them have a go. The Tories need time on the bench to rethink

The one possible fly-in-this-ointment is Wokeness
  • Options
    RIP David Warner.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: Tory leadership candidate @RishiSunak to be interviewed live by @afneil on @channel4 this Friday, 29th July, at 7.30pm @ITNProductions

https://twitter.com/ijrumsey/status/1551520372708839424
  • Options

Don’t worry guys - the revenge of the Millennials will drag us back into the EU at some point and it will be glorious.

I am not in favour of rejoin (note @Leon ) but if it happens I hope @Leon and I are still alive (he is a few years older than me) and I will laugh and laugh and laugh. It will be even more amusing than watching Boris Johnson defenestrated.
  • Options

Driver said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

It seems simple to me

The problem with all this is that there were stacks of exemptions from day 1. We couldn't shut the entire economy down, so key workers were designated. Was a load of people in a factory a high risk factor of spreading the pox and potentially killing their colleagues? Yes - and for those of us running such factories it was a fucking nightmare.

It was never about x is safe and y is unsafe. It was always about managing risk, and certain activities had to do so because just shutting them down was problematic.

Political campaigning was on the list. Its easy for the people who either hated all restrictions or are pathological about Keir Starmer to retrospectively try and change the rules and the context, but it doesn't change reality. No matter how angry you are that most of us are ignoring your tirades.
    The government as you say had to go through a difficult exercise which lead to some of the absurdities we saw (X is allowed, Y is not). Because in aggregate that seeming anomaly brought about a decrease in overall activity which was the required aim.

But that persisted far, far beyond what was reasonable or consistent with a liberal democracy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

You know what you're getting with a pink lady though. Same every time. I'd say they're like not risking the real ale and going with the pint of keg.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Not really sure what is wrong with "Distinctively British", unless you are perhaps a Citizen of Nowhere.

We have distinctively French, and distinctively Italian.

I just don't see the problem.

There is perhaps a problem apply it to Sir Starmer, though. He needs to explain and demonstrate.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

It is if you are duck hunting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RIP David Warner.

Had to google this to find out you didn't mean the cricketer...
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 780
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

Part 2 of the plan. Announce sensible, credible policies (vanilla with a few chocolate chips), essentially asking the electorate to trust Labour with the shop .
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

- Distinctively British

It is if you are duck hunting.
    I always end up picking up the bill when I do that.
This discussion has been closed.