Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next CON poll lead in September looks a good bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    Cookie said:

This is not the Daily Mash.

Prince Charles once argued for so-called 'coffee enemas' to be used on the NHS to treat cancer patients, a new unauthorised biography has claimed.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/familyhealth/book-claims-prince-charles-pushed-for-coffee-enemas-on-nhs/ar-AAZyP6Y?ocid=st

Surely he's free to espresso his own views?
    Brings to mind this clip from possibly the best sitcom ever created (is it a sitcom? It didn't appear in the list of 100 greatest sitcoms we discussed a few weeks back.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyT31PYPLRA
    Very good. Definitely a sitcom too.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Andy_JS said:

Voting has ended in the Tory leadership ballot.

When is the announcement?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,585
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Feels like we're already coming slightly down off the peak in London, if I'm right. Felt hotter about an hour ago.

I’m outside in Regents Park. It’s scorched and deserted. A few brave souls hiding in the shade

I’ve never experienced heat like this in the UK, literally and emotionally. Feels like desert heat. With that same hot whirring relentless breeze that provides zero relief

Nothing really moves. The big trees stir, but listless, and helpless. Skewered.
    37 degrees in suburban South Manchester.

Life going on entirely as normal. Committed drinkers outside Wetherspoons putting a shift in; weird buses which go nowhere in particular as surprisingly busy as ever, people bustling in and out of B&M Bargains. Admittedly people wearing rather fewer clothes than they might at other times.
    It's hot. But it's not apocalyptic. It's dry, there's a breeze. It is actually quite pleasant. I wouldn't want to be out in it indefinitely, but, you know, it'll be over tomorrow.

I have an inflatable hot tub which I have filled up. I'm not heating the water up, but it's reached a steady 34 degrees. Which is quite pleasant to dunk yourself in.
    Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

Can this just be because London is about 3C hotter?

Don’t think so. I suspect it’s cultural. Londoners are more used to extreme heat - so they know to avoid it - and get better summers - so don’t feel the need to enjoy the sun whatever. Because they know there will be other, nicer sunny days
    TLDR: Sean is the dumbest person in town ?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Stocky said:

BF: Mordaunt is in to 4.3 from 6. Voting ended 2pm. Someone know something?

What are Truss and Badenoch doing?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

in 40 mins
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099
    MattW said:

MattW said:

eek said:

darkage said:

It does feel like the tories are in a death spiral and will lose the next general election, for the simple reason that they are fighting themselves on issues that are irrellevant to most people in this country. Its a bit like a repeat of the the mid 1990's with tory MP's banging on about Europe. The probable legacy of this leadership contest is going to be massive defeats over legislation.

Quite amusing that 'free marketeer' Badenoch now wants to protect the Green Belt. No doubt electoral compromise is already kicking in.

She's going to have reduce immigration a lot if she wishes to protect the Green Belt.
    Basically, I think not. Much of the country doesn't even have Green Belt.

Here's the extent in England:

Anyone who thinks that is a useful policy response, rather than a basis to start educating ingrown Nimbydom as to what exists outside, needs to get on their bike. Then it can move on from there.

Leaving aside that the chart is full of manufactured comparisons (as these always are), it feels like circling the wagons.
    You're right much of the country doesn't have green belt, just the bits of the country that has seen massive population growth and so the cities need to expand into the countryside to compensate.

The green belt should be abolished completely. Keep green parks, but not a green belt, because attempts to constrain the population of cities like London have utterly failed.

London's population in 1955 was less than 8.3m, its now more than 9.5m but where are the extra homes and gardens for the extra million plus people living there?
    It was 8.6m in 1939.
    Precisely. The green belt was a viable policy for an era of falling population where there was actually brownbelt land to rebuild post-war.

Its a f***ing stupid policy to have 70 years later when the population has grown to record levels and is growing still, the brownfield land that was devastated during the war has already been reclaimed and used but there's still no more land available to use. 🤦‍♂️

But some big nanny state enthusiasts want to keep it in place as it makes their own home and garden "liveable" and screw anyone else who wants their own home and garden too.
    Mercifully your vision of unfettered London sprawl will never materialize. The Tory membership is about to vote in Dizzy Lizzy, who will then lose by a landslide, and we will be governed for decades by a coalition of Labour, Green and Lib Dem NIMBY ultras. Our green and pleasant land is saved!
    Abolishing the Green Belt wholesale is as behind the times as is obsessing about protecting it.

There have been many policy developments since - some places have developed their GB policies, and others have supplemented them. New towns are one example.

Areas of the London GB are now more like scrubland.

Some areas inside the London GB are low density that is ready for high density - there are Low Density council estates that could be revisited at Barbican (or double Barbican) density.

Equally we need policies to look at higher density usage of shrinking household size in the Owner Occupied sector. Small HMOs are one thing that needs to be less blighted - large HMO style regulation of small HMOs is one thing - 'Friends' type lifestyles are now more heavily regulated than is necessary, for example.

There;s plenty to be done, but wholesale abolition of Greenbelt is as simplistic (and as out of date) as blind & selfish wholesale defence of it.
    The Barbican isn't a council estate - everything has been privately owned since day 1.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Leon said:

I’m not joking about Regents Park. That wasn’t just one angle

I’ve never seen it this empty on a “lovely” sunny day

Unreal atmosphere

Good to see people heeding the Red Warning! I don't intend checking out Barking Riverside station and the adjoining Thames Clipper jetty until I come back from Inverness.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    Sunak 2.42
    Truss 3.4
    Mordaunt 4.5
    Badenoch 22

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • Options
    Thundery rain has reached Cardiff-Wells-Yeovil-Weymouth
  • Options
    I can't wait for the petrichor
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

3pm.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,016
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/19/kemi-badenoch-moves-away-from-net-zero-by-2050-in-double-climate-u-turn

Badenoch unable to give a straight answer to the question of her position on net zero.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,306

It feels like today is the day when the next PM will be chosen: either Truss or Badenoch.

I actually disagree with this - if Truss gets through there’s still no guarantee she gets to the run off, particularly if Rishi continues to do well.

If Kemi gets through though, I do think she’s going to ride the momentum all the way into the run off vs Rishi.
    Yes it's a fascinating contest because so many scenarios are plausible. Anything could happen.
  • Options
    Tory MPs had an opportunity to do things differently today. They've probably fluffed it. Because Liz.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

3pm.
    So only 34 minutes more of Magical Kemi Thinking to endure...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Feels like we're already coming slightly down off the peak in London, if I'm right. Felt hotter about an hour ago.

I’m outside in Regents Park. It’s scorched and deserted. A few brave souls hiding in the shade

I’ve never experienced heat like this in the UK, literally and emotionally. Feels like desert heat. With that same hot whirring relentless breeze that provides zero relief

Life going on entirely as normal. Committed drinkers outside Wetherspoons putting a shift in; weird buses which go nowhere in particular as surprisingly busy as ever, people bustling in and out of B&M Bargains. Admittedly people wearing rather fewer clothes than they might at other times.
    It's hot. But it's not apocalyptic. It's dry, there's a breeze. It is actually quite pleasant. I wouldn't want to be out in it indefinitely, but, you know, it'll be over tomorrow.

I have an inflatable hot tub which I have filled up. I'm not heating the water up, but it's reached a steady 34 degrees. Which is quite pleasant to dunk yourself in.
    Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

Don’t think so. I suspect it’s cultural. Londoners are more used to extreme heat - so they know to avoid it - and get better summers - so don’t feel the need to enjoy the sun whatever. Because they know there will be other, nicer sunny days
    I don’t know who Sean is, but I can remember when you were scoffing at my predictions of broken records and possible over 40C temps

Wrong again, eh @Ian. At some point it must get embarrassing, but you plough on

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    NEW YouGov Conservative members polling suggests Sunak would lose to whoever he faces in the final round

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

Mordaunt 43 - Badenoch 48
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    Looks like a big win for the Met Office's more pricey computer systems yet again. They were predicting 36 for yesterday, and 39-40 for round about the London area today.

Met Office Computer Systems United 1
    BBC MIcro Albion Rovers 0
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Whats the difference between BT FTTP and virgin cable? (Not asking for well one has shit customer service...is there something technically different?).
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

Too many mushheads taking the Daily Mail line. I do think that paper’s editorial team need sent to the funny farm if heatwaves are going to be their new culture war front.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

I don’t know who Sean is, but I can remember when you were scoffing at my predictions of broken records and possible over 40C temps

When you have your heart attack in the heat (the least you could do, to contribute toward your prediction), there's no-one there to come to your rescue? That's why you should be indoors!

We're waiting for 43C and thousands of dead.

Meanwhile there's a big fire in Dartford, already spread to homes
  • Options

It feels like today is the day when the next PM will be chosen: either Truss or Badenoch.

Par score I have for today is:

Sunak 124, Penny 100, Truss 73, Badenoch 60

Would see Penny expanding her lead, and "breaking" the 100 mark but eliminated tomorrow:

Sunak 142, Penny 106, Truss 109
    Before 3pm, does anyone else have par estimates for today and tomorrow?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    33 degrees here but it is really very pleasant. Quite breezy too. No need for fans.

Had a very late dinner on the terrace as it grew dark followed by a comfortable night's sleep. Up with the larks this morning. And this was my view from downstairs when I got up.

Why you don't all decamp up here I don't know ......

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Whats the difference between BT FTTP and virgin cable? (Not asking for well one has shit customer service...is there something technically different?).

One has had sex at least once
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

FTTP is true gigabit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719

Oooh, FTTP just went live for me. Go BT!

It is the dog’s dangly bits.

This is my speed on the other side of the house from the router.

I’m on a work video call, I’ve got two kids on their PS5/Xboxes, and my father is watching UHD content on the TV.

Why the string-with-cans-internet? 1Gb symmetrical here. Thinking of upgrading to 3Gbs
    I have gigafast, it's the headline advertised speed is different to the wifi speed.

Something my friend who trains Sky call centre staff makes up about 20% of their inbound BB calls.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

** EXCLUSIVE in today's Chopper's Politics Newsletter **
    More than 1,800 Conservative party members have written to the Tory party chairman in less than 12 hours to demand that a vote on whether Boris Johnson should carry on as leader. 1/5

If this comes down to Rishi versus Penny there really could be trouble. Low turnout, maybe very low turnout.

It doesn't end with one of those two becoming leader.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    Andy_JS said:

Tory MPs had an opportunity to do things differently today. They've probably fluffed it. Because Liz.

If Liz winds up winning this it will be the most passive, dull and undeserving route to Number 10 I can think of.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Scott_xP said:

NEW YouGov Conservative members polling suggests Sunak would lose to whoever he faces in the final round

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

if this is correct then the odds on Badenoch should shorten. She looks like more of a prospective winner with the selectorate than Truss. A more interesting candidate. Also has appeal outside the traditional 'right' of the party as evidenced by the Gove endorsement.
  • Options

One has had sex at least once
    Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    So BT is like the true cocktail cable, while the alternative is the alcohol-free mocktail version?
  • Options

Would see Penny expanding her lead, and "breaking" the 100 mark but eliminated tomorrow:

Before 3pm, does anyone else have par estimates for today and tomorrow?
    I think you’re broadly right on this round, but I think Sunak loans out a few votes to Mordaunt and we get Sunak 135, Mordaunt 113, Truss 109.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

Ha, yes. 'Too hot to go out' does not compute for notherners. We're conditioned to make the most of it.

Those photos are astonishing.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    Leon said:

Regents Park may be scorched, but the good news is that beer is cold!
  • Options
    darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

if this is correct then the odds on Badenoch should shorten. She looks like more of a prospective winner with the selectorate than Truss. A more interesting candidate. Also has appeal outside the traditional 'right' of the party as evidenced by the Gove endorsement.
    Badenoch vs. Truss is margin of error stuff, and none of this helps if she's out of the contest in 28 minutes time.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893
    eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

eek said:

darkage said:

It does feel like the tories are in a death spiral and will lose the next general election, for the simple reason that they are fighting themselves on issues that are irrellevant to most people in this country. Its a bit like a repeat of the the mid 1990's with tory MP's banging on about Europe. The probable legacy of this leadership contest is going to be massive defeats over legislation.

Quite amusing that 'free marketeer' Badenoch now wants to protect the Green Belt. No doubt electoral compromise is already kicking in.

She's going to have reduce immigration a lot if she wishes to protect the Green Belt.
    Basically, I think not. Much of the country doesn't even have Green Belt.

Here's the extent in England:

Anyone who thinks that is a useful policy response, rather than a basis to start educating ingrown Nimbydom as to what exists outside, needs to get on their bike. Then it can move on from there.

Leaving aside that the chart is full of manufactured comparisons (as these always are), it feels like circling the wagons.
    You're right much of the country doesn't have green belt, just the bits of the country that has seen massive population growth and so the cities need to expand into the countryside to compensate.

The green belt should be abolished completely. Keep green parks, but not a green belt, because attempts to constrain the population of cities like London have utterly failed.

London's population in 1955 was less than 8.3m, its now more than 9.5m but where are the extra homes and gardens for the extra million plus people living there?
    It was 8.6m in 1939.
    Precisely. The green belt was a viable policy for an era of falling population where there was actually brownbelt land to rebuild post-war.

Its a f***ing stupid policy to have 70 years later when the population has grown to record levels and is growing still, the brownfield land that was devastated during the war has already been reclaimed and used but there's still no more land available to use. 🤦‍♂️

But some big nanny state enthusiasts want to keep it in place as it makes their own home and garden "liveable" and screw anyone else who wants their own home and garden too.
    Mercifully your vision of unfettered London sprawl will never materialize. The Tory membership is about to vote in Dizzy Lizzy, who will then lose by a landslide, and we will be governed for decades by a coalition of Labour, Green and Lib Dem NIMBY ultras. Our green and pleasant land is saved!
    Abolishing the Green Belt wholesale is as behind the times as is obsessing about protecting it.

There have been many policy developments since - some places have developed their GB policies, and others have supplemented them. New towns are one example.

Areas of the London GB are now more like scrubland.

Some areas inside the London GB are low density that is ready for high density - there are Low Density council estates that could be revisited at Barbican (or double Barbican) density.

Equally we need policies to look at higher density usage of shrinking household size in the Owner Occupied sector. Small HMOs are one thing that needs to be less blighted - large HMO style regulation of small HMOs is one thing - 'Friends' type lifestyles are now more heavily regulated than is necessary, for example.

There;s plenty to be done, but wholesale abolition of Greenbelt is as simplistic (and as out of date) as blind & selfish wholesale defence of it.
    The Barbican isn't a council estate - everything has been privately owned since day 1.
    I didn't say it was a Council Estate, and I don't see the releavance TBH. I used it as an example of a high density development, as it happens Council Lead, that works. Use Golden Lane just north of it if you want a 'Council Estate'.

I think the point is the same. Low density can be replaced by higher density as the core of London expands.
  • Options

Virgin's performance is either shit hot or shit.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,253

I’ve never needed Virgin customer service for the broadband. It has provided me a stable 350-550 for two years now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

Nice of YouGov to release this at 2pm when voting had just ended.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Off topic but I lost my glasses in their case at Glastonbury last month. I was annoyed as although I wear contacts they were there as a backup and I wear them all the time at home.

I sent an email to the lost property office there at the end of last month while expecting to never see them again as I could have dropped them anywhere on any day (didn't see them after Thurs) in a huge site with 200,000 people.

Imagine my surprise when this morning they arrived in the post completely out of the blue, complete with post mark from Shepton Mallet, Somerset. Kudos to the lost property team there!
  • Options

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

Badenoch vs. Truss is margin of error stuff, and none of this helps if she's out of the contest in 28 minutes time.
    The runoff can't be Badenoch vs. Truss. If she doesn't go out in 27 minutes, she could become the favourite quite quickly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    Are they not both fibre to the property? Or is there something technically different between them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I’m on a work video call, I’ve got two kids on their PS5/Xboxes, and my father is watching UHD content on the TV.

Why the string-with-cans-internet? 1Gb symmetrical here. Thinking of upgrading to 3Gbs
    I have gigafast, it's the headline advertised speed is different to the wifi speed.

Something my friend who trains Sky call centre staff makes up about 20% of their inbound BB calls.
    Bonzo dog band

Your shirts will be ready in 3 weeks

But your sign says 24 hour dry cleaning

That's just the name of the shop
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I'm waiting for youfibre to complete the second bit of work so I'm connected - can get 10Gb symmetrical but I'll stick to 1gb unless they offer a mid tier option as the router et al is max 2.5Gb.

I note that that call is the sort of thing that really should be automated away but if you did so you would merely end up with unhappy customers going elsewhere and discovering the same issue.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    kle4 said:

If Sunak is likely to lose in the members' ballot whoever he's up against, it provides an incentive for his backers to vote for the person they could live with winning rather than the person they think is beatable.

Mordaunt probably. Worst people have said so far is she's lazy and empty.
    Like Boris minus the bad bits?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

When you have your heart attack in the heat (the least you could do, to contribute toward your prediction), there's no-one there to come to your rescue? That's why you should be indoors!

We're waiting for 43C and thousands of dead.

Meanwhile there's a big fire in Dartford, already spread to homes
    We could litter this thread with some unedifying bickering, where you are humiliated. Again.

But I suggest we leave that for a less interesting day. Meteorologically AND politically
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    I'm not sure anyone "knows" anything, except the 1922 Committee counters will now - but I think they need to hand in their phones and stay in a sealed room.

Of course, campaigns and organisers will have a sense as to where their support is, and who's moving and who's not, but we've seen how volatile that can be.
  • Options

Cookie said:

This is not the Daily Mash.

Prince Charles once argued for so-called 'coffee enemas' to be used on the NHS to treat cancer patients, a new unauthorised biography has claimed.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/familyhealth/book-claims-prince-charles-pushed-for-coffee-enemas-on-nhs/ar-AAZyP6Y?ocid=st

Surely he's free to espresso his own views?
    Brings to mind this clip from possibly the best sitcom ever created (is it a sitcom? It didn't appear in the list of 100 greatest sitcoms we discussed a few weeks back.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyT31PYPLRA
    I've an early memory of wandering round the Co-op looking for soap flakes for the district nurse to give my mate's dad an enema.
    I'm not disputing the veracity of this memory, but - what?
    If I needed to acquire soap to be shoved up my bum (and - just - why?), I cannot imagine I'd be recruiting my daughter's friend for the task.

As a stand-alone sentence, this post is wholly cherishable - deserves some minor post-of-the day award.
  • Options
    A near miss for Badenoch is my best guess. 4-5 MPs.

And we'll probably get Truss as next PM.

Crack suicide squad.
  • Options
  • Options

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

The runoff can't be Badenoch vs. Truss. If she doesn't go out in 27 minutes, she could become the favourite quite quickly.
    The argument that KB is "more of a prospective winner with the selectorate than Truss" is margin of error stuff, and none of this helps if she's out of the contest in 24 minutes time.
  • Options

Virgin's performance is either shit hot or shit.
    It was dreadful near me until they upgraded their distro boxes. Now I get more bitrate than I can reasonably use.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Really not the case here

Regents Park right now

Surely you mean that you have no idea who @Xipe is...
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    I got FTTP gigabit 2 years ago. Literally 1Gbps downlink into the house. There was a short period of showing off about the speed of the connection and I never, ever have to worry about any buffering or what anyone else is doing in the house. Having said that, when I renew I will drop the speed to 500Mbps as the 1Gbps is complete overkill. The only real benefit it gives me is that very large downloads will be a bit quicker. That is not very often and I can afford to wait a few minutes extra if it comes to it.

It is strange to think that my current broadband can download the same amount in 1 second that my first modem (1995 - 28.8Kbps) would have taken almost 10 hours to do.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If Sunak is likely to lose in the members' ballot whoever he's up against, it provides an incentive for his backers to vote for the person they could live with winning rather than the person they think is beatable.

Mordaunt probably. Worst people have said so far is she's lazy and empty.
    Like Boris minus the bad bits?
    And indeed the good bits.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    Are they not both fibre to the property? Or is there something technically different between them.
    I thought virgin was coaxal, not fibre?

From what I’ve read, virgins network is pretty much at its max speed unless they start replacing the cables, whereas the new FTTP installs can theoretically push towards 100gbps just by swapping out the back end equipment.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Pulpstar said:
    That isn't hot enough to melt it into slag. Pity.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    The issue comes down to the size of the return path - Virgin offer 1gb download but only 52Mb upload. BT offers 910Mb download and 110Mb upload..
  • Options

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

The argument that KB is "more of a prospective winner with the selectorate than Truss" is margin of error stuff, and none of this helps if she's out of the contest in 24 minutes time.
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56 isn't margin of error. You seem frit.
  • Options
    TGOHF22TGOHF22 Posts: 32
    Telegraph

Michael Gove tells Policy Exchange:
    We will find out at 3pm whether people have underestimated Kemi.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Pulpstar said:
    Met Office now showing our peak in the NE to be between 5 and 7. So some hours to go there.
  • Options
    eek said:

I'm waiting for youfibre to complete the second bit of work so I'm connected - can get 10Gb symmetrical but I'll stick to 1gb unless they offer a mid tier option as the router et al is max 2.5Gb.

I note that that call is the sort of thing that really should be automated away but if you did so you would merely end up with unhappy customers going elsewhere and discovering the same issue.
    It is part of the key facts that all ISPs tell the customer over the phone and/or in their emails when they take out the contract.

The other one is VOIP.

That's about 50% of new VOIP customers adamant they weren't told their phone needs to plugged into the back of their router.

Also another key fact.

Also they ask if it is suitable if there's a power cut/TLOS.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/19/kemi-badenoch-moves-away-from-net-zero-by-2050-in-double-climate-u-turn

Badenoch unable to give a straight answer to the question of her position on net zero.

AIUI Bedenoch was suggesting a modicum of flexibility on 2050 as a dogmatic position, changing 2050 to 2060 or 2070, if practicality required it. I'm not sure that that is especially unusual amongst say European Governments, and something to get very excited about.

eg German Government:

Germany’s long-term goal is to become largely greenhouse gas-neutral by 2050. This is based on the goal stipulated in the Paris Agreement to achieve global carbon neutrality in the second half of the century. The German target also reflects the country’s particular responsibility as a leading industrialised nation and the EU’s strongest economy.
    https://www.bmuv.de/en/topics/climate-adaptation/climate-protection/national-climate-policy/climate-action-plan-2050-germanys-long-term-low-greenhouse-gas-emission-development-strategy#:~:text=Germany's long-term goal is,second half of the century.

(TBF I am not sure what their formal current position is - that is off the German Govt website committing to -55% by 2030).

My view if that necessary policy should be in place to achieve net neutrality by 2050.
  • Options
    If this & the UAE League rumours are true, IPL team owners will be playing against other IPL owners for five months of the year in four countries. We are in the midst of the most interesting political phase of the game since the first T20 boom in 2008-12. https://t.co/LJawH2LZRX
  • Options
    Whatever happens in 20 mins I know I'm going to regret some aspect of my betting position.

God, this is exciting.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.
    I got FTTP gigabit 2 years ago. Literally 1Gbps downlink into the house. There was a short period of showing off about the speed of the connection and I never, ever have to worry about any buffering or what anyone else is doing in the house. Having said that, when I renew I will drop the speed to 500Mbps as the 1Gbps is complete overkill. The only real benefit it gives me is that very large downloads will be a bit quicker. That is not very often and I can afford to wait a few minutes extra if it comes to it.

It is strange to think that my current broadband can download the same amount in 1 second that my first modem (1995 - 28.8Kbps) would have taken almost 10 hours to do.
    I'm on 115 megs with mine but it doesn't really drop below that at all. The old 30 meg broadband frequently went at 2.
  • Options

**Breaking**

Tories and OnlyFans scandal

Just take off your jackets, please. Everyone should take sensible precautions. A bunch of (mainly) overweight middle aged men in 40C heat should minimise their risks.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Leon said:

Oh do calm down. This is normal in Naples and further south. People survive quite happily.
    OnboardG1 said:

Cyclefree said:

33 degrees here but it is really very pleasant. Quite breezy too. No need for fans.

Had a very late dinner on the terrace as it grew dark followed by a comfortable night's sleep. Up with the larks this morning. And this was my view from downstairs when I got up.

I hate to tell you this @Cyclefree but your house has suffered 90 degrees of subsidence rotation.

Very amusing.

I forgot to do it in landscape mode.

Also the grass in Regents Park will revive fine. And the temperatures London is enduring are pretty much normal in Naples.

To hear some of you, you'd think Britain had turned into Hades.
  • Options
    TGOHF22 said:

Telegraph

Subtext : We will find out at 3pm if people have underestimated *me*.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    What each candidate needs:

1.Rishi - to get over 120. In the final, inevitability argument, job done. Ideally Kemi to exit, I think.

2. Penny - to come second by a decent margin against Truss in 3rd, and for Kemi to exit.

3. Truss - to add something, anything, to the result yesterday.

4. Kemi - not to exit. If she survives today, she becomes the favourite.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

Would that then be it - Sunak v Truss goes to the members?

Or would there be one more MPs ballot where the Moirdaunts have the chance to vote for either Sunak or Truss - hence showing the members the extent of the MP preference for one over the other?
  • Options

1.Rishi - to get over 120. In the final, inevitability argument, job done. Ideally Kemi to exit, I think.

2. Penny - to come second by a decent margin against Truss in 3rd, and for Kemi to exit.

This round is all about Kemi vs Liz tbh. Final round of the right primary.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well all other things being equal I definitely would. Cumbria has a lot going for it, and for me, its climate is one of those things.
    But family is here, and I have put down roots now.
  • Options

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

But the comparison is between

Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

and

Sunak 35 - Truss 54

which is margin of error stuff.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

TGOHF22 said:

Telegraph

Subtext : We will find out at 3pm if people have underestimated *me*.
    Is he a fighter, not a quitter?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:
    Met Office now showing our peak in the NE to be between 5 and 7. So some hours to go there.
    35.9°C now near Colchester. I've got a fan, an open window and a breeze; lovely!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

** EXCLUSIVE in today's Chopper's Politics Newsletter **
    More than 1,800 Conservative party members have written to the Tory party chairman in less than 12 hours to demand that a vote on whether Boris Johnson should carry on as leader. 1/5

If this comes down to Rishi versus Penny there really could be trouble. Low turnout, maybe very low turnout.

It doesn't end with one of those two becoming leader.
    No, Mordaunt would win. A bit lazy etc but solidly bedrock Tory and well presented.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

Just take off your jackets, please. Everyone should take sensible precautions. A bunch of (mainly) overweight middle aged men in 40C heat should minimise their risks.
    I count no fewer than nine sensible precautions in that picture.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.

I’ve found it quite useful when I have games I want to play for a couple of days every so often. Previously I’d have dumped it on my HDD and accepted the slow load times. Now I can put it on the SSD and just delete it when I’m bored, then reinstall within tea-making time when I want to play.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Thankfully, where I am at least, we’ve passed the max heat and it’ll only get cooler from now on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Oh do calm down. This is normal in Naples and further south. People survive quite happily.
    OnboardG1 said:

Cyclefree said:

I hate to tell you this @Cyclefree but your house has suffered 90 degrees of subsidence rotation.

Very amusing.

I forgot to do it in landscape mode.

Also the grass in Regents Park will revive fine. And the temperatures London is enduring are pretty much normal in Naples.

To hear some of you, you'd think Britain had turned into Hades.
    I take your point.
    But we aren't Naples.
    Transport infrastructure is creaking on the second day with loads staying at home, for one thing.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

I'm wearing shorts today and I never wear shorts.
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.

From what I’ve read, virgins network is pretty much at its max speed unless they start replacing the cables, whereas the new FTTP installs can theoretically push towards 100gbps just by swapping out the back end equipment.
    Which is currently a complete waste of time. In the vast majority of households the speed is limited by the WiFi in the house. I know people who have Gigabit into the house and they run entirely on WiFi which tops out at 200Mbps (if they're lucky). Even if you have wired your house with Gigabit ethernet (very rare) then you will have to upgrade every device in your house to 2.5G+ to experience any benefit whatsoever.

I know this is verging on the 640KB is enough for anyone (mis)quote but I am struggling to see much need for the average household to go above 1Gbps. Most don't need more than 200Mbps.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    AlistairM said:

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.

Here in rural Devon, it still takes 10 hours.....
  • Options

darkage said:

Scott_xP said:

Badenoch beats everyone

Sunak 35 - Truss 54
    Sunak 37 - Mordaunt 51
    Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

Truss 48 - Mordaunt 42
    Truss 43 - Badenoch 46

But the comparison is between

Sunak 34 - Badenoch 56

and

Sunak 35 - Truss 54

which is margin of error stuff.
    Fair enough. It will be academic for one of them in 14 minutes' time anyway.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

3pm.
    So only 34 minutes more of Magical Kemi Thinking to endure...
    it is a decision like this that makes me think that Kemi is on to something re net zero: https://caselaw.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ewhc/admin/2022/1841
    Basically the Court has ruled that the Business Secretary did not have sufficient information in terms of the quantification of our carbon output to certify that the net zero target would be met.

This is how politicians make rods for their own back and how gesture politics comes back and bites them on the bum. These areas are not, in my view, proper areas for legislation but for policy. But if you pass laws the court will give them substance.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

In my youth the only adult men who wore shorts in the UK were scoutmasters!
  • Options
    TGOHF22TGOHF22 Posts: 32
    Pulpstar said:

This round is all about Kemi vs Liz tbh. Final round of the right primary.
    Liz is keen to frame it that way - but I doubt it will work out like that, she's not that right wing and a "more of the same" candidate. As all of the top 3 are.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,964
    edited July 2022

Pulpstar said:
    Pro levelling rather than levelling-up are you?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited July 2022
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

FTTP is true gigabit.

Virgin is coaxial when installed; once you start using it, it becomes fibre.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Pro levelling rather than levelling-up are you?
    "Raze the north"
  • Options
    Sky banging on about "climate emergency" all through this good weather it seems.

FFS I believe in tackling climate change, but if all you're going to say is "if we don't tackle climate change, then we're going to get more good weather like this" then its hardly a threat, is it? 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

Do we know what this Finnish scandal is. yet?

Or have I missed it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

So you're naked?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

She's seen as fresh and exciting because she's a young black woman with a shot at being PM - and that is genuinely a bit of a thrill - but as to views and politics I don't see a great difference between her and your standard reactionary right wing tory.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,135

AlistairM said:

**Breaking**

In my youth the only adult men who wore shorts in the UK were scoutmasters!
    And the Woodcraft Folk too presumably?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Remarkable scenes of houses burning in Wennington, Greater London.
This discussion has been closed.