Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next CON poll lead in September looks a good bet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2022 in General
imageThe next CON poll lead in September looks a good bet – politicalbetting.com

As the Wikipedia poll table shows there has been no recovery in the Tory polling position since Johnson decided to throw in the towel and step down as PM.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

34C at 9am.

I was right. Bow down before LEON THE PREDICTOR

Be nice if you gave a link to the 34°C at 9am.
    Sorry, that’s my own barometer in my back wall

However it’s in the shade and quite accurate

And now it’s 35C so it’s rising 1C every half hour, at the moment

Cheers. I expect it is accurate (if not 'official'). It can get very hot next to buildings.
    Indeed. Note that indoors I’ve managed to keep it to 29C - where it has been pretty much since late Sunday. The various techniques advised have worked

Add in a dyson fan and it’s all quite tolerable. So thanks to anyone and everyone - eg @Sandpit - who gave advice on keeping cool in the furnace
    I'm still amazed at the number of people who have all their windows open. They wouldn't leave their doors wide open in the middle of winter to let the cold air in. Why do the same in the Summer to let the heat in?
    🙋‍♂️

I have mine open. Yet it lets hotter air in, but it also adds a breeze. Warm with a breeze is more pleasant than warm without a breeze.

It's the same reason as to why people use fans, despite the fact that fans actually arguably increase the temperature of the room they don't decrease it. Hotter temperature with circulating air is more pleasant.

I'm loving this weather. I'm not trying to cool my house down, if I was I'd close the windows, I'm trying to enjoy the gorgeous and glorious summer weather instead.

When driving OTOH I have the Air Con on and the windows closed. Since I park in the sunlight, the car is like a sauna otherwise which isn't as pleasant as the home.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    HYUFD said:

If Mordaunt or Sunak become PM and Tory leader they would expect to get something of a Brown or May style bounce midterm and a Tory lead by autumn.

If Truss becomes PM however unfortunately I think the bounce might actually be in Labour's favour

Isn't she continuity Johnson? Oh right....
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    FPT
    AlistairM said:

This afternoon's vote is I think the most unpredictable of the lot and is crunch time. Every result up to now it has been fairly predictable who would be dropping out. Once we get to 3 then I think it will be fairly obvious who will make the final 3. Today is the day where MPs might start switching around their votes. Going to be very interesting at 3pm today!

In the 2nd ballot, the person bottom in the 1st ballot was eliminated. In the 3rd ballot, the person bottom in the 2nd ballot was eliminated.

In 2019, in every ballot, the person eliminated was the one who came bottom in the previous ballot, except in the second ballot (when Stewart and Javid overtook Raab).

The 2016 leadership only had two ballots, but the candidate eliminated in the second ballot was the one who had fewest votes of the three in the first ballot. That also applies to 2005. That also applies to the 1997 second ballot. (2001 was weird.)

So, it is very unusual for the person bottom in one ballot not to be eliminated in the next round (excluding any withdrawals).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited July 2022

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

34C at 9am.

Cheers. I expect it is accurate (if not 'official'). It can get very hot next to buildings.
    Indeed. Note that indoors I’ve managed to keep it to 29C - where it has been pretty much since late Sunday. The various techniques advised have worked

Add in a dyson fan and it’s all quite tolerable. So thanks to anyone and everyone - eg @Sandpit - who gave advice on keeping cool in the furnace
    I'm still amazed at the number of people who have all their windows open. They wouldn't leave their doors wide open in the middle of winter to let the cold air in. Why do the same in the Summer to let the heat in?
    🙋‍♂️

I have mine open. Yet it lets hotter air in, but it also adds a breeze. Warm with a breeze is more pleasant than warm without a breeze.

It's the same reason as to why people use fans, despite the fact that fans actually arguably increase the temperature of the room they don't decrease it. Hotter temperature with circulating air is more pleasant.

I'm loving this weather. I'm not trying to cool my house down, if I was I'd close the windows, I'm trying to enjoy the gorgeous and glorious summer weather instead.

When driving OTOH I have the Air Con on and the windows closed. Since I park in the sunlight, the car is like a sauna otherwise which isn't as pleasant as the home.
    When humidity is low (as it fortunately is now) even a hot air breeze is cooling, due to the evaporative effect. Make sure to keep hydrated though!
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Whip removed from Tobias Ellwood after failing to vote in confidence motion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Mordaunt or Sunak become PM and Tory leader they would expect to get something of a Brown or May style bounce midterm and a Tory lead by autumn.

If Truss becomes PM however unfortunately I think the bounce might actually be in Labour's favour

Isn't she continuity Johnson? Oh right....
    Not continuity on increasing National Insurance and taking taxes up to a 74 year high, so she deserves the position based upon that.

But people object to politically-continuation of Johnson which is fairly odd. Because politically, Johnson got the big calls right. That helped him win an 80 seat majority etc.

For the last few years almost everyone has been arguing that regardless of the politics, Johnson personally is unacceptable. So continuing with the manifesto that won the 80 seat majority (and returning to it where it was breached like reversing the NI tax rise) but without Johnson himself in Downing Street lying in response to every issue . . . what's actually wrong with that?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    There is an increase to the energy price cap due. It will take effect from the start of October and should be announced at the beginning of August if OFGEM follow the same timetable as six months ago. Any new leader will be under intense pressure to somehow "fix" this problem. Essentially the bet will I think come down to whether they can announce something eye-catching enough to look like a fix, long enough to win a poll lead (before it unravels in some way).
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    carnforth said:

So voting is mandatory for Tory MPs, but not for citizens...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

34C at 9am.

🙋‍♂️

The "breeze" yesterday just felt hotter than the ambient air if anything tbh.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Does that mean Penny loses a vote?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    What happened to Elwood there? Deliberate not turning up or just terrible timing?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217

What happened to Elwood there? Deliberate not turning up or just terrible timing?

In Moldova, for meetings. On his own initiative, presumably.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

34C at 9am.

🙋‍♂️

I believe you are in the South West somewhere where temperatures aren't so hot? My tipping point is probably 28c. If I know it is going to be above that then I will close everything up. Otherwise I would probably agree that a breeze would help.

I have a portable a/c unit that I keep in my (upstairs) study. I didn't use it at all during the day yesterday. I thought that having the window open with the pipe going outside would allow more heat in. I used it in the evening to help get the upstairs temperatures down a bit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    "Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

NEW: Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood has been stripped of the whip by Boris Johnson for failing to support the government in last night’s confidence vote
    9:51 AM · Jul 19, 2022"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Unless it gets seriously windy, windows closed and covered is the best way to go in the heat. A small fan can help with indoor wind, at a much lower temperature than outdoor wind.
  • Options

Because politically, Johnson got the big calls right.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

"some of the patients had Covid and I can assure you that I shook hands with everyone!"
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Guido understands Ellwood was given prior warning of the debate happening and his previous slip being rescinded. However he still failed to turn up. He was also warned of the repercussions if he didn’t turn out to back the government, however despite this he chose to ignore all communications. Other MPs cancelled foreign trips and left poorly relatives to attend. One MP’s mother died on the morning of the vote and still attended the vote…

https://order-order.com/2022/07/19/tobias-ellwood-loses-the-whip/

Imagine leaving your mother's deathbed to vote confidence in phatboi.
  • Options
    Yuan Yi Zhu
    @yuanyi_z
    I don’t understand how the British ever conquered all these hot places.

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1549037573518942210
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

NEW: Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood has been stripped of the whip by Boris Johnson for failing to support the government in last night’s confidence vote

We now know the identity of the first MP to be grovelling to the new leader.

Presumably he was also the MP absent from the leadership vote yesterday, or can you send a proxy for that?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    IshmaelZ said:

Guido understands Ellwood was given prior warning of the debate happening and his previous slip being rescinded. However he still failed to turn up. He was also warned of the repercussions if he didn’t turn out to back the government, however despite this he chose to ignore all communications. Other MPs cancelled foreign trips and left poorly relatives to attend. One MP’s mother died on the morning of the vote and still attended the vote…

The vote was at 10pm, right?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Driver said:

IshmaelZ said:

The vote was at 10pm, right?
    Oh well that's fine then

Imagine voting confidence in phatboi, full stop.
  • Options
    Only 41ºC here today, a little hazy - who’s going to be the first in the UK to beat me?
  • Options
    TGOHF22TGOHF22 Posts: 32

carnforth said:

So voting is mandatory for Tory MPs, but not for citizens...
    It's not mandatory - he's still an MP.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    Based on that table, Opinium need a new leader bounce of C+3, Lab-3 to put the Conservatives back in the lead. (That's a bit misleading, since they are trying to do something different with their data now- more "what will the score be after a GE campaign squeeze?" than "what are the opinions at this snapshot moment?"). That ought to be doable.

However, BoJo announcing his departure doesn't seem to have shifted the numbers- though that could be because he hasn't actually gone yet. Also, by September we will have had another six weeks of economic squeeze.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    carnforth said:

What is striking is the number of Labour MPs who didn't bother to turn up?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Penny Mordaunt has lost another vote.

Tobias Ellwood was a Mordaunt supporter and won't now be able to vote in the remaining ballots.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

"Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

We now know the identity of the first MP to be grovelling to the new leader.

Presumably he was also the MP absent from the leadership vote yesterday, or can you send a proxy for that?
    He could have voted by proxy. But he won't be able to vote from now on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

carnforth said:

Does that mean Penny loses a vote?
    Don't give Johnson any ideas.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

IshmaelZ said:

The Government won the confidence vote by 111. It hardly looks good for the Conservative Party to boast that an MP whose mother had died that morning was made to come vote because otherwise they would only have won by 110.
    Just goes to show what a son of a lady dog our current PM is!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Alistair Campbell with one of his most bizarre ideas.

A rangers v Celtic match in Belfast at the time of the good Friday agreement with each team wearing the others shirt.

https://twitter.com/scotnational/status/1549314852165787649?s=21&t=OciRZ_OBCcDNF0h6yOFZuA
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    If I were a Tory MP feeling particularly Machiavellian today I would be switching to Kemi to knock Liz Truss out of the race, particularly if I had been supporting TT.

Doubt it will happen but it would be hilarious.

• Options

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Said and liked by people who lost the last election it seems.

If you want a change of politics, that should be done via winning the next election, continuing with the policies that won the last one by a very large majority shouldn't be considered a flaw.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

Unless it gets seriously windy, windows closed and covered is the best way to go in the heat. A small fan can help with indoor wind, at a much lower temperature than outdoor wind.

Our internal aircon has spaces where you put ice in. Obviously powering it generates heat (It doesn't break the laws of thermodynamics), but the ice warming must obviate that.
  • Options

If I were a Tory MP feeling particularly Machiavellian today I would be switching to Kemi to knock Liz Truss out of the race, particularly if I had been supporting TT.

Would TT supporters genuinely prefer Kemi to Liz?
  • Options
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m
    Today we find out whether Truss or Badenoch is going to be our next PM, essentially. Something odd *could* conceivably happen even after today to mean it's neither of them, but that's seeming increasingly unlikely now. It's really down to the Tory MPs to choose btwn those two.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico

===

Not what bookies are saying frankly.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

So we have a motion of confidence in the government proposed by the government. "I don' know why we're wasting our time debating my motion" says the PM. But later its important enough to de-whip Ellwood for agreeing with the PM that there are more important things to be doing.

Johnson really is a wazzock.

Ridiculous really. Personally I think it would make sense with Boris on borrowed time to have his ability to remove the whip withdrawn! Remove the whip hand.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Our internal aircon has spaces where you put ice in. Obviously powering it generates heat (It doesn't break the laws of thermodynamics), but the ice warming must obviate that.
    The aircon at one place I worked would randomly drop water over people's desks. Not ideal if you've got electronics everywhere.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,708
    “Black woman can’t think for herself” - the Joyous & Civic (sic) SNP:

The kindest thing that can be said is that she hasn’t a clue. The equally likely explanation is that is that she is merely mouthing Gove’s words…SNP 'blames England' for its problems, claims Tory leadership candidate Kemi Badenoch - Daily Record

https://twitter.com/feorlean/status/1549069954120441858
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m
    Today we find out whether Truss or Badenoch is going to be our next PM, essentially. Something odd *could* conceivably happen even after today to mean it's neither of them, but that's seeming increasingly unlikely now. It's really down to the Tory MPs to choose btwn those two.

===

MPs took a year to ditch Boris - their judgement is garbage.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Is it the case that Ellwood loses opportunity to vote for next PM?

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1549321907790647298
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2022

I think there might well be some of that. Badenoch is only 13 behind Truss, and there are 31 TT supporters going spare, who won't be keen on Truss.
  • Options

Today’s the day that all the Machevellian thinking can go horribly wrong.

IMHO if Truss goes out tonight, almost all her vote goes to Kemi and the Saffron Walden MP is through to the members.

IMHO if Kemi goes out tonight, a lot (but not all) of her vote goes to Truss, making it close to a thre-way tie tomorrow - assuming Gove doesn’t have a couple of dozen Kemi supporters all switching to Sunak.
  • Options

I think there might well be some of that.
    If it happens, then I hope Truss voters go to Kemi so we get a Sunak v Kemi run-off, which would probably be won by Kemi.
  • Options
    TGOHF22 said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m

===

Lilico seems awfully sure the members will never elect Sunak.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If I were a Tory MP I’d prefer anyone to Liz, frankly.

Any of the other 3 at least have a chance of narrowly winning a GE, scraping back in as a minority, or at least keeping losses to a build-back-able level. Some are riskier than others.

Liz just feels to me like a guaranteed election loser.

• Options
    Starmer didn't go to a private school. Fake news.
  • Options
    LDs hoping for a Tobias Ellwood defection.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m

===

But if the sort-of-Thatcherite end of the Conservatives get locked out of the membership vote (though Suank and Mordaunt are hardly wets as it is normally understood), the stab-in-the-back complaints are going to be really funny.

Really funny.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Tobias Elwood says he would have voted with the Government last night if he could have got back

Boris takes away whip and 1 vote from PM4PM
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Any of the other 3 at least have a chance of narrowly winning a GE, scraping back in as a minority, or at least keeping losses to a build-back-able level. Some are riskier than others.

So you say, but almost all non-Tories here seem to fear her.

If the greatest criticism of Truss is that she said "pork markets" oddly ten years ago, and wants to mostly continue with the policies that won an eighty seat majority a couple of years ago, and believes in low taxes - then none of those criticisms really amount to much.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m

===

It kind of is - Truss is much shorter than Mordaunt, and if MPs decided to make Badenoch the champion of the right instead of Truss, I think you'd see her well ahead on Mordaunt too. Lilico is making too much of an assumption about what members would do after more than a month's campaign, though - Sunak's price at evens looks about right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Depends where the ice is from. If you created the ice in your own freezer then the heat extracted from the water to freeze it is already in your home from the back of the freezer, so you're not net reducing the heat in your house. But you are moving it about, and moving the heat from a bedroom to the kitchen makes sense to aid sleep.
  • Options

TGOHF22 said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m

===

Lilico seems awfully sure the members will never elect Sunak.
    He's a tax cutter who raises taxes - what's not to like ?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Is it the case that Ellwood loses opportunity to vote for next PM?

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1549321907790647298

Yes, as an MP. He'd probably be able to take part in the membership vote. Not sure.
  • Options

If it happens, then I hope Truss voters go to Kemi so we get a Sunak v Kemi run-off, which would probably be won by Kemi.
    Quite possible that it will be a Sunak-Badenoch run-off, although given her lack of experience I think she'd be unlikely to win that. Either way, pretty much anyone (other than the utterly abysmal Braverman) would be less disastrous than Truss. Badenoch at least has talent, and may eventually make a good leader if she's given the chance to gain experience first.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Andy_JS said:

If the greatest criticism of Truss is that she said "pork markets" oddly ten years ago, and wants to mostly continue with the policies that won an eighty seat majority a couple of years ago, and believes in low taxes - then none of those criticisms really amount to much.
    I think @kinablu said Truss is the opponent Labour would most like to meet, and most of the left of centre people on here seemed to agree with that.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    5m

===

But if the sort-of-Thatcherite end of the Conservatives get locked out of the membership vote (though Suank and Mordaunt are hardly wets as it is normally understood), the stab-in-the-back complaints are going to be really funny.

Really funny.
    Sunak raises taxes , Mordant is a LD and Truss voted remain - there are 3 wets still in the race.
  • Options

If you want a change of politics, that should be done via winning the next election, continuing with the policies that won the last one by a very large majority shouldn't be considered a flaw.
    Could you put the goalposts back where you found them? Of course a change of politics should be done via winning the next election. At the next election, the electorate can decide whether the Conservative government got the big, or the little, calls right. (They won't really be asked whether Johnson got the big calls right as he's gone. Indeed, the Conservative Party hasn't put up the person who won the previous election since 2015.)

But I don't think we have to wait until an election to express a view on a political forum as to whether Johnson got the big calls right. The claims he did, whether they are correct or false, were put out as Tory spin. They are up for debate.

Yes, the Conservative government, under its new leader, whoever that is, has a mandate to deliver on its manifesto. But the supposed "big calls" that Johnson supposedly got right are mostly not things that were in the manifesto, but responses to events. (Generally, people talk about vaccines, Ukraine and Brexit, so 2/3 were not in the manifesto and 1/3 was.) So why are you jumping from the "big calls" to "the policies that won the last [election]"?

Of course, the policy that won the last election was an oven-ready Brexit deal that would definitely not impose any paperwork on GB<->NI trade. Which was a big fat lie.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

I think @kinablu said Truss is the opponent Labour would most like to meet, and most of the left of centre people on here seemed to agree with that.
    So they claim, while simultaneously being utterly terrified of her it seems.

It all began to fall apart for Boris and Rishi when they started raising taxes, especially NI. Rishi seemed to want to blame that on Boris, but now Boris is gone and he's insisting on more of the same. Truss is saying to reverse that mistake.

For that alone, Truss is better, despite my book. Raising NI and raising taxes to a 74 year high isn't "smart" or "rational" or good economics, and if Truss reverses that then that would be a good call. Cutting taxes on people who work for a living rather than always ratchetting them up might actually end up being popular too. 👍
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,708
    edited July 2022
    Tobias Ellwood, who Sky understands is in the Odessa region, has lost the whip for not attending last night’s confidence vote.

A few other MPs also missed it.
    A reminder that Chris Pincher still holds the whip.

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1549321825020256256

Edit - Sky got it wrong.

Edit 2 - others absent:

12 Conservative MP's did not record a vote in the confidence vote yesterday: John Baron, Scott Benton, Theo Clarke, Tobias Ellwood, Nusrat Ghani, Anthony Higginbottom, Tom Hunt, Johnny Mercer, Gagan Mohindra, Jill Mortimer, Andrew Rosindell and Andrew Sealous. How many pairs?

https://twitter.com/HarryHayfield/status/1549324466789949441
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,518
    Wildly off topic. Two Typhoons circling off Cleethorpes at the minute. Just hear the engines every few minutes but can’t see anything. Showing on flight radar now but weren’t earlier. Yesterday there was an American elint Orion, two American jets, I forget which, and two Typhoons circling all morning.

Wonder what’s going on. Maybe the Russians are being silly buggers?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I don’t get the sense of fear of Truss.

I can accept that she may be a good administrator, that’s as far as I can go. She isn’t going to win the Tories a general election. I have not seen a high level politician who is so utterly poor at presentation and communication. She cannot connect with voters. She is stiff, cold and robotic. She is not a front woman. The public do not like her and given she is more high-profile than any other candidate bar Rishi, there will be an element of that being priced in.

She will be a disaster for the Tories. If they want to spend the next two years feeling happy about someone cosplaying Maggie and droning on about low taxes, then that’s their prerogative but it’s not going to keep them in office.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    Andy_JS said:

It's not about preferring Kemi to Liz - it's about who has the best chance of defeating Rishi in the membership vote.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

I think there might well be some of that. Badenoch is only 13 behind Truss, and there are 31 TT supporters going spare, who won't be keen on Truss.
    My guess

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Po2HA9a7DDVi8tuTf-cV-wXdEhIjcCUg2fGqRcvl_cI/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options

Could you put the goalposts back where you found them? Of course a change of politics should be done via winning the next election. At the next election, the electorate can decide whether the Conservative government got the big, or the little, calls right. (They won't really be asked whether Johnson got the big calls right as he's gone. Indeed, the Conservative Party hasn't put up the person who won the previous election since 2015.)

But I don't think we have to wait until an election to express a view on a political forum as to whether Johnson got the big calls right. The claims he did, whether they are correct or false, were put out as Tory spin. They are up for debate.

Yes, the Conservative government, under its new leader, whoever that is, has a mandate to deliver on its manifesto. But the supposed "big calls" that Johnson supposedly got right are mostly not things that were in the manifesto, but responses to events. (Generally, people talk about vaccines, Ukraine and Brexit, so 2/3 were not in the manifesto and 1/3 was.) So why are you jumping from the "big calls" to "the policies that won the last [election]"?

Of course, the policy that won the last election was an oven-ready Brexit deal that would definitely not impose any paperwork on GB<->NI trade. Which was a big fat lie.
    He did get the big calls right. Yes people who dislike his calls and always have will disagree, but that doesn't show anything other than you still dislike his big calls.

My scorecard:
    Brexit - right.
    NI (Northern Ireland) - right.
    NI (National Insurance) - wrong.
    Ukraine - right.
    Covid - wrong, but better than all the alternatives except Stefan Lofven
    Vaccines - right

A solid 7.5/10 and better than the alternatives. "He got the big calls right, but treated the small calls with utter contempt" is a good epitaph for him.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

It all began to fall apart for Boris and Rishi when they started raising taxes, especially NI. Rishi seemed to want to blame that on Boris, but now Boris is gone and he's insisting on more of the same. Truss is saying to reverse that mistake.

For that alone, Truss is better, despite my book. Raising NI and raising taxes to a 74 year high isn't "smart" or "rational" or good economics, and if Truss reverses that then that would be a good call. Cutting taxes on people who work for a living rather than always ratchetting them up might actually end up being popular too. 👍
    I think there's a distinction between being terrified of what a leader might do in the two or so years before the next election and a judgement on which leader would be easiest for Labour to beat at the next general election.

It's plausible that someone could fear a candidate for the former and yet completely the reverse for the latter. Indeed, this is the only logical position if you were to believe that most people mostly share your political views. That assumption might be erroneous, but it wouldn't be unusual for people to make faulty assumptions.
  • Options

Sunak was always getting through the MPs and remains for me the Tories best hope of providing sane governance and having a shot at winning the election.

But - and its a big but - there is something intriguing about Badenoch. The idea of Sunak vs Badenoch for Tory leader is itself rather transformational, and the outcome potentially even more so.

I read various things about Kemi being on the right of the party and perhaps she is. But that she *exists* is not of the right, but points towards a more progressive modern Britain which is the antithesis of what the right of the Tory party wants.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

It all began to fall apart for Boris when Partygate broke (as per the graph at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partygate#Opinion_polls ).

I see no evidence of the left of centre being "utterly terrified" of fighting a campaign against Truss, although they might be utterly terrified of having her as PM before we get an election.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

My guess

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Po2HA9a7DDVi8tuTf-cV-wXdEhIjcCUg2fGqRcvl_cI/edit?usp=sharing
    Your numbers seem flawed.

If 40% of Tugendhat's votes go to Badenoch, then Truss should be able to get some of those from Badenoch, but you've not assigned her any of them. Mordaunt gaining 21 when Badenoch is eliminated seems . . . odd.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,411
    Betfair next prime minister
    2 Rishi Sunak 50%
    3.35 Liz Truss 30%
    6 Penny Mordaunt 17%
    21 Kemi Badenoch 5%
    330 Dominic Raab

Next Conservative leader
    2 Rishi Sunak 50%
    3.35 Liz Truss 30%
    6.2 Penny Mordaunt 16%
    21 Kemi Badenoch 5%

To be in final two
    1.01 Rishi Sunak 99%
    1.6 Liz Truss 63%
    3 Penny Mordaunt 33%
    10 Kemi Badenoch 10%
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Barnesian said:
    My guess for the final round yesterday (before TT got knocked out) was:

Sunak 133, Mordaunt 115, Truss 109.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4032893#Comment_4032893

which is pretty close to what you've got. But because you have Badenoch being knocked out by just one vote in the next round, the forecast has to be very sensitive to small changes. If it does end up as Sunak/Mordaunt/Badenoch final in the MPs' section, it is possible as @BartholomewRoberts suggests that Mordaunt will be knocked out by Truss supporters switching to Badenoch.

Either way, I'm puzzled by the current odds. Truss looks too short to me.
  • Options

Sunak was always getting through the MPs and remains for me the Tories best hope of providing sane governance and having a shot at winning the election.

Shame he's been providing a Labour government.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    In the official Met Office reports for 0900, Heathrow is hottest at 32.2C. Lots of 30-31s from Anglesey across to Surrey and Norfolk
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Depends where the ice is from. If you created the ice in your own freezer then the heat extracted from the water to freeze it is already in your home from the back of the freezer, so you're not net reducing the heat in your house....
    Given you're running the freezer 24/7 in any event, it also depends when the ice was from.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Good morning. Deathly still up here in contrast to yesterday. Certainly feels hotter.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

It all began to fall apart for Boris when Partygate broke (as per the graph at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partygate#Opinion_polls ).

I see no evidence of the left of centre being "utterly terrified" of fighting a campaign against Truss, although they might be utterly terrified of having her as PM before we get an election.
    It had already began to fall apart for Boris before Partygate broke. Labour got opinion poll leads in both September and October, before either Patterson or Partygate. The polls were basically at crossover by the start of November, again before Partygate and before Paterson had really filtered through either.

Putting up NI and removing the £20 UC uplift hurt a lot of voters, before any of the Partygate stuff broke. A lot of voters were in a foul mood with Boris and Sunak pre-Partygate.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I don’t get the sense of fear of Truss.

I can accept that she may be a good administrator, that’s as far as I can go. She isn’t going to win the Tories a general election. I have not seen a high level politician who is so utterly poor at presentation and communication. She cannot connect with voters. She is stiff, cold and robotic. She is not a front woman. The public do not like her and given she is more high-profile than any other candidate bar Rishi, there will be an element of that being priced in.

She will be a disaster for the Tories. If they want to spend the next two years feeling happy about someone cosplaying Maggie and droning on about low taxes, then that’s their prerogative but it’s not going to keep them in office.
    I fear Truss because the country cannot afford another two years of sneering disdain as we slide further into the mud. We have growing problems and need a Prime Minister who is doing something to address these, not making them worse.

If nothing else, a Truss win of the premiership would be gift week for Sturgeon. Every week. For 2 years. I can write the script now for even the indy sceptics. OK so independence may be a leap into the dark. But when the light treats us like this, the dark may be better.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

My guess

40% of Tugendhat's vote going to Badenoch is too high, and 0% going to Truss is too low. I suspect 10% going to Sunak is too low too.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A Labour gain on current polls according to Electoral Calculus.

I can see him defecting to LibDems and carrying a substantial personal vote into the next GE.

Jon Nicholas, the current Lib DEm PPC for Bournemeouth East,
    got 6.5% of the vote when he last stood in 2017.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

He did get the big calls right. Yes people who dislike his calls and always have will disagree, but that doesn't show anything other than you still dislike his big calls.

My scorecard:
    Brexit - right.
    NI (Northern Ireland) - right.
    NI (National Insurance) - wrong.
    Ukraine - right.
    Covid - wrong, but better than all the alternatives except Stefan Lofven
    Vaccines - right

A solid 7.5/10 and better than the alternatives. "He got the big calls right, but treated the small calls with utter contempt" is a good epitaph for him.
    Brexit - still a complete and damaging f**k up
    NI - wrong
    NI - wrong
    Ukraine - he has done his bit, in a desperate attempt to cover his links with dodgy Russians and their money
    Covid - wrong, multiple times
    Vaccines - all he did right was to do as he was told and stay well out of it
    Anyone who uses the grotesque soundbite 'HE GOT THE BIG CALLS RIGHT' either works for No 10 or should be ignored for being simpleton
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2022
    Extraordinary of the 1922 to allow Johnson to manipulate the vote in this way. What a filthy dirty crook he is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2022
    eek said:

Starmer didn't go to a private school. Fake news.

Starmer went to a school that became private while he was there.

As that is the only piece of being "posh" that the Tory party have on SKS it continually appears in the hope that people have never investigated the detail.

For those who have investigated the detail it's a pack of lies that confirms (again) that the Tory party are dishonest.
    He did still go to a private school and before that a grammar school and he leads a party that is not a great fan of either.

So if we Tories have comp and non Oxbridge educated Penny leading us against Starmer we will ensure the redwall voters know that and if that makes Starmer the posh, privately educated candidate, tough. Labour attacked posh Boris and Cameron's private school education regularly so they may now get a taste of their own medicine!
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    dixiedean said:

Good morning. Deathly still up here in contrast to yesterday. Certainly feels hotter.

It really does. My west facing living room has always felt cool in the morning no matter how hot it has been the day before or how hot it might become later.... but not this morning. Already feels sticky.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    I wasn't surprised at Tommy Tug-end plumping for Sunak, despite his 'clean start' nonsense.
  • Options
    Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    Striking how many of Badenoch's MPs are 'shy'

She got 58 votes last night but only has 27 public endorsements - so 53% aren't public

Truss next with 44% shy support. I make it 43% for Mordaunt and 37% for Sunak
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1549330005099945985
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

A Labour gain on current polls according to Electoral Calculus.

I can see him defecting to LibDems and carrying a substantial personal vote into the next GE.

Jon Nicholas, the current Lib DEm PPC for Bournemeouth East,
    got 6.5% of the vote when he last stood in 2017.
    Ellwood effectively endorsed Mordaunt this morning

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Ellwood/status/1549266689115803649?s=20&t=JVfnO-yBenqS5Jh5-dZMjw
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    moonshine said:

Extraordinary of the 1922 to allow Johnson to manipulate the vote in this way. What a filthy dirty crook he is.

If Mordaunt goes out by 1?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

My guess

If 40% of Tugendhat's votes go to Badenoch, then Truss should be able to get some of those from Badenoch, but you've not assigned her any of them. Mordaunt gaining 21 when Badenoch is eliminated seems . . . odd.
    The numbers seem wrong. It says Badenoch's votes split 60-20-20, but actually splitting them 50-30-20 in the calculation.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    My strong subjective impression is that Truss would be terrible at projecting as PM via the media and gaining support from floating voters. The other three would be much better.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

My guess

You're right. It's flawed.

• Options
    TGOHF22 said:

Shame he's been providing a Labour government.
    It would have been fascinating to have had perhaps a monetarist chancellor during Covid. Not sure how mass company failures and unemployment would help the blue cause though.
This discussion has been closed.