Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next CON poll lead in September looks a good bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

If I were a Tory MP feeling particularly Machiavellian today I would be switching to Kemi to knock Liz Truss out of the race, particularly if I had been supporting TT.

Doubt it will happen but it would be hilarious.

I think there might well be some of that.
    If it happens, then I hope Truss voters go to Kemi so we get a Sunak v Kemi run-off, which would probably be won by Kemi.
    Quite possible that it will be a Sunak-Badenoch run-off, although given her lack of experience I think she'd be unlikely to win that. Either way, pretty much anyone (other than the utterly abysmal Braverman) would be less disastrous than Truss. Badenoch at least has talent, and may eventually make a good leader if she's given the chance to gain experience first.
    I'd start 60:40 in favour of Badenoch in a member's run-off, but Sunak has far more experience and at some experience hers will show. So he could still beat her.

That said, the Tories are in a hole. They need to take some risks if they want to win the next GE.

Badenoch is extremely bright and hardworking, a good speaker in the House, an interesting writer, and a fair debater, and I think she'd rapidly learn on the job. Labour also wouldn't know how to handle her.

I also think she's not moonbats economically right-wing - sure, she'd want to trim spending and make savings, and make targeted tax cuts, but she's not "double the deficit", Liz - whilst also focussing on housing, family and young people. She has some ideas, unlike Penny. There's some evidence she could connect well.

Roll the dice on Badenoch. Do it.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1549301040079687680

She's hard right. When the Tories choose a hard right leader, they lose.
    Protecting the Green Belt is "hard right". Who knew?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    Striking how many of Badenoch's MPs are 'shy'

She got 58 votes last night but only has 27 public endorsements - so 53% aren't public

Truss next with 44% shy support. I make it 43% for Mordaunt and 37% for Sunak
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1549330005099945985

Cue speculation that it's because Gove has them ready to jump ship to Sunak after he's used Kemi to take out the Truss.
    Why? Sunak is going to top the MPs section anyway.
    Because Sunak loses to Truss with the members, and has a good chance against Mordaunt.
  • Options
    eek said:

TGOHF22 said:

TGOHF22 said:

If I were a Tory MP feeling particularly Machiavellian today I would be switching to Kemi to knock Liz Truss out of the race, particularly if I had been supporting TT.

If it happens, then I hope Truss voters go to Kemi so we get a Sunak v Kemi run-off, which would probably be won by Kemi.
    Sunak was always getting through the MPs and remains for me the Tories best hope of providing sane governance and having a shot at winning the election.

Shame he's been providing a Labour government.
    It would have been fascinating to have had perhaps a monetarist chancellor during Covid. Not sure how mass company failures and unemployment would help the blue cause though.
    He could have made a million better decisions than raising NI.

How?

One of the biggest issues with Government Expenditure is social care. They kicked the can down the road in the 2010's by tagging a levy on to council tax but that money is already spent and social care expenditure is rapidly rising.

So something had to be done and the easiest tax to use is NI...

What else would you do to raise £12bn on the quiet.
    1. It would be better not pay to ensure people are given bigger inheritances which seems to be the primary motivation of the tax.

2. If you insist upon ensuring some people get bigger inheritances, and you need a tax to pay for that, then the fair tax to raise the money with would be via Inheritance Tax.

3. If you insist upon ensuring people get bigger inheritances, and won't raise inheritance tax, and must raise the money from the general population then Income Tax would be a fairer tax than NI. Its paid on all income, not only earnt income, so those with unearned incomes pay their fair share too.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Badenoch supporters attacking Truss for her voting record on WhatsApp

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1549301040079687680?s=20&t=JVfnO-yBenqS5Jh5-dZMjw

And this shows why I'm not backing Badenoch. Culture war BS is the wrong kind of right wing. Low tax economics etc is what we need, not banging on about BLM.
    Re our brief conversation from yesterday - I suspect we're very similar on social issues, but different on economics, where I'm to your left.

Would be interesting to know with Badenoch how much of it is really personal opinion and how much is playing up to the (supposed) biases of the membership - and maybe some of the MPs. To get on as a black MP in the Con party, does she have to come out against BLM? (if, indeed, she has)

(not particularly tagetting the Cons here - to get on as a priviliged white male in Labour, do you need to come out as superwoke?)
    Badenoch has been very anti-BLM for years. I don't think she's putting anything on. She's a hard right Tory. If you want to be more specific, she seems to be on the libertarian wing. We also know she lies (she wasn't on minimum wage because there wasn't a minimum wage). We also know she U-turns (against Net Zero, for Net Zero, against Net Zero in one day). She's Nadine Dorries with somewhat more brains.
    I won't fault her for saying she was on Minimum wage before the minimum wage existed it just means she was on a low wage.

Now if she claimed that her pay rose as Major and Clark introduced the minimum then I would call that a lie
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    Roger said:

I just tried to find who invented that ear grating soundbite 'We got the big calls right' and perhaps not surprisingly no one is admitting to it. But what I did get was a deluge of reasons why it's not only a complete load of bollocks but why it's actually the opposite of what happened. Come in the West Country.....

https://westcountryvoices.com/he-got-the-big-calls-right-best-for-britain-debunks-the-mantra/

“Founded in June 2020, we started out as West Country Bylines, part of Bylines Networks. In January 2022 we relaunched as West Country Voices, a spin-off with a more campaign-driven stance and a commitment to remain ad-free and volunteer-run. We have two patrons: Peter Jukes, founder of Byline Times, our mentor and inspiration; and David Haysey, who has backed our team from the very start.”

Just good honest west country folk.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Extraordinary of the 1922 to allow Johnson to manipulate the vote in this way. What a filthy dirty crook he is.

MPs know they mustn't miss a vote of confidence.
    How much notice was there of it? When was it called?
    It was called last week, so extremely odd for anyone to be out of the country unless they're doing it on purpose.
    Ellwood claims to have intended to travel back in time for the vote, but was unable to do so due to the weather disrupting his travel plans. I think this is Johnson engaging in petty point-scoring, but only because Ellwood provided an opportunity for him to do so.

I don't think it presages an attempt to interfere in the leadership election by removing the whip from numerous Mordaunt-supporting MPs. But if only one vote is in it then it will be very controversial.
    Shades of Gore vs Bush but the Parliamentary equivalent. It’s pig headed because if Mordaunt made a big deal of it, there would be a chunk of both the parliamentary party and the electorate that would never accept Truss as legitimate. The final destructive act wrought by Boris Johnson on the Conservative Party.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

I'm not clear on which candidate Sunak would rather face wrt the membership vote out of Mordaunt and Truss. Any ideas?

I would have said Truss originally, now I suspect Penny.

Rishi and Penny both have drawbacks to the membership - the former on tax, the latter on ‘woke’. Whereas Truss speaks to member sensibilities more on tax and Brexit.

Rishi could beast Penny in a 1 on 1 debate based on previous performances. Truss isn’t a great debater but just needs to keep doubling down on membership-friendly issues and she’ll scrape through.

Sunak isn’t guaranteed to win a membership vote against any of them IMHO, but he can pivot to being the attractive choice over Penny IMHO (experience, competence etc), whereas it’s harder against Truss.
    Surely you can win a competency battle against Truss - after all we don't have a magic money tree and Corporation Tax cuts won't help anyone battle the energy price crisis.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Starmer didn't go to a private school. Fake news.

Starmer went to a school that became private while he was there.

As that is the only piece of being "posh" that the Tory party have on SKS it continually appears in the hope that people have never investigated the detail.

For those who have investigated the detail it's a pack of lies that confirms (again) that the Tory party are dishonest.
    A bit like Kemi's claim in the Telegraph:
    " I know what it's like flipping burgers at 16, on minimum wage, and then watching my pay slip away to taxes..."

The minimum wage didn't exist in 1996 (and would she have been paying income tax ?).
    The personal allowance was only about 4k or so then so it's entirely possible. I worked in Tescos around the same time, and remember there being some tax.
    She'd have to have been working full time throughout the whole year at McDonalds, while doing her A-levels. Even then, if she's working 40 hours (which is tough during A-Levels), she'd earn maybe £120 and still take home over £100.

That's not exactly watching your pay slip away to taxes.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:
    Doncaster currently at 33.

https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/robin-hood-doncaster-sheffield-airport

35 for Kirmington - https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/humberside

Yes I know these aren't official MET stations. But the MET seems to have a massive southern bias towards 'official' stations, none for miles around Doncaster.
    If Doncaster is that far behind now, looks like the SE will retain the temperature record after all. Unless the cold front reaches us very quickly.

I thought Donny airport had an official station but I could be wrong?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    I don't know whether anyone else has already commented on this, but having only recently seen a clip of the debate where Lizzy Lightweight refers to Sunak having raised taxes, I was surprised that he did not remind her of the collective responsibility of cabinet. I guess there must be some record of her objecting strongly. She certainly didn't resign over the issue.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,658
    Andy_JS said:

test

A question of timing?

Peak comprehensivisation was in the early 1970's (Maggie Thatcher yada yada), which drove a lot of the old grammar schools to go private. And if you were at secondary school then, you would be in your late 50's/early 60's now. So we have a cohort of politicians who were bright enough to pass the 11+ then and are now old enough to be near the top of politics.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    edited July 2022
    eek said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1549301040079687680?s=20&t=JVfnO-yBenqS5Jh5-dZMjw

And this shows why I'm not backing Badenoch. Culture war BS is the wrong kind of right wing. Low tax economics etc is what we need, not banging on about BLM.
    Re our brief conversation from yesterday - I suspect we're very similar on social issues, but different on economics, where I'm to your left.

Would be interesting to know with Badenoch how much of it is really personal opinion and how much is playing up to the (supposed) biases of the membership - and maybe some of the MPs. To get on as a black MP in the Con party, does she have to come out against BLM? (if, indeed, she has)

(not particularly tagetting the Cons here - to get on as a priviliged white male in Labour, do you need to come out as superwoke?)
    Badenoch has been very anti-BLM for years. I don't think she's putting anything on. She's a hard right Tory. If you want to be more specific, she seems to be on the libertarian wing. We also know she lies (she wasn't on minimum wage because there wasn't a minimum wage). We also know she U-turns (against Net Zero, for Net Zero, against Net Zero in one day). She's Nadine Dorries with somewhat more brains.
    I won't fault her for saying she was on Minimum wage before the minimum wage existed it just means she was on a low wage.

Now if she claimed that her pay rose as Major and Clark introduced the minimum then I would call that a lie
    First minimum wage was £3.60, introduced in 1999. I remember this, because I got an 80% pay rise (up from £2.00) when it was introduced, at my job with the Student Union Entertainments team.

Kemi was born in 1980, she’d have been 19 when it was first introduced.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    Pulpstar said:

If Penny backers do go via Badenoch to knock Truss out it could be a too clever by half strategy. The risk level for a one nation Tory is off the charts tbh.

Surely Rishi and Penny won't play any games today. Penny already had the ignominy of going backwards yesterday, so she surely wants to look as strong as possible today. And Rishi probably has the luxury of waiting until the final round before playing games.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,560
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

Extraordinary of the 1922 to allow Johnson to manipulate the vote in this way. What a filthy dirty crook he is.

It's bizarre. Could Boris not just let it pass? The only explanation is that Boris is envisaging a way of retaining power in spite of everything.
    The Labour Party would have done the same thing in the same circumstances. It's well-established that missing a vote of confidence is a whip-losing situation.
    Yep - a vote of no confidence is by it's very definition a mandatory vote. No vote or incorrect vote will result in you being kicked out of the party. Remember in olden days MPs were wheeled in on their death beds and Labour only last in 1979 because they (just) couldn't bring 1 MP back
    I think almost a dozen Tory MPs missed the vote, but only one has lost the whip.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting, and confirms what I have argued before. Badenoch is standing as the candidate to the right of Truss, who can't be trusted with Brexit. Cutting foreign aid, cutting immigration, delaying net zero if necessary, and standing up to BLM (whatever that means). Add her view of the small state, and Badenoch is standing for the (far) right. Fancy trying to outflank Truss on the right!
    She could also be highlighting to Truss' backers how vulnerable Truss would be to attack on topics that members (and voters) care out and that she is too much of a risk. Yes, she has ticked the usual Brexit, immigration boxes but the Green Belt is specifically mentioned. How many Right Wingers bang on about that? It is not as though she didn't have enough points to highlight as it is. And who gets worried most about that? Home Counties MPs worried a new PM is about to restart housebuilding and lose them their seats.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/robin-hood-doncaster-sheffield-airport

Yes I know these aren't official MET stations. But the MET seems to have a massive southern bias towards 'official' stations, none for miles around Doncaster.
    If Doncaster is that far behind now, looks like the SE will retain the temperature record after all. Unless the cold front reaches us very quickly.

Donny airport might not have an airport for much longer, if local news is to be believed.

(Surely all airports have official-grade/setuup weather monitoring, whether reporting centrally or not?)
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,533
    edited July 2022
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not clear on which candidate Sunak would rather face wrt the membership vote out of Mordaunt and Truss. Any ideas?

Rishi and Penny both have drawbacks to the membership - the former on tax, the latter on ‘woke’. Whereas Truss speaks to member sensibilities more on tax and Brexit.

Rishi could beast Penny in a 1 on 1 debate based on previous performances. Truss isn’t a great debater but just needs to keep doubling down on membership-friendly issues and she’ll scrape through.

Sunak isn’t guaranteed to win a membership vote against any of them IMHO, but he can pivot to being the attractive choice over Penny IMHO (experience, competence etc), whereas it’s harder against Truss.
    Surely you can win a competency battle against Truss - after all we don't have a magic money tree and Corporation Tax cuts won't help anyone battle the energy price crisis.
    Absolutely - but it’s riskier.

You’re running the Hillary gambit - this person is so pie in the sky and I am so experienced and sensible and realistic that you have no other choice but me.

It should be an attractive argument but it can backfire. Massively.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Penny backers do go via Badenoch to knock Truss out it could be a too clever by half strategy. The risk level for a one nation Tory is off the charts tbh.

Surely Rishi and Penny won't play any games today. Penny already had the ignominy of going backwards yesterday, so she surely wants to look as strong as possible today. And Rishi probably has the luxury of waiting until the final round before playing games.
    It's a little suspicious that Badenoch has been getting many more votes than her declared backers compared to the other candidates. Only 28 public endorsements last time I checked.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

It's bizarre. Could Boris not just let it pass? The only explanation is that Boris is envisaging a way of retaining power in spite of everything.
    The Labour Party would have done the same thing in the same circumstances. It's well-established that missing a vote of confidence is a whip-losing situation.
    Yep - a vote of no confidence is by it's very definition a mandatory vote. No vote or incorrect vote will result in you being kicked out of the party. Remember in olden days MPs were wheeled in on their death beds and Labour only last in 1979 because they (just) couldn't bring 1 MP back
    I think almost a dozen Tory MPs missed the vote, but only one has lost the whip.
    Yep because the others said in advance that they couldn't attend so had been paired with a Labour MP who either couldn't attend or didn't vote.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    eek said:

TGOHF22 said:

TGOHF22 said:

Sunak was always getting through the MPs and remains for me the Tories best hope of providing sane governance and having a shot at winning the election.

Shame he's been providing a Labour government.
    It would have been fascinating to have had perhaps a monetarist chancellor during Covid. Not sure how mass company failures and unemployment would help the blue cause though.
    He could have made a million better decisions than raising NI.

How?

One of the biggest issues with Government Expenditure is social care. They kicked the can down the road in the 2010's by tagging a levy on to council tax but that money is already spent and social care expenditure is rapidly rising.

So something had to be done and the easiest tax to use is NI...

What else would you do to raise £12bn on the quiet.
    1% on income tax.
  • Options
    nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

As that is the only piece of being "posh" that the Tory party have on SKS it continually appears in the hope that people have never investigated the detail.

For those who have investigated the detail it's a pack of lies that confirms (again) that the Tory party are dishonest.
    " I know what it's like flipping burgers at 16, on minimum wage, and then watching my pay slip away to taxes..."

The minimum wage didn't exist in 1996 (and would she have been paying income tax ?).
    The personal allowance was only about 4k or so then so it's entirely possible. I worked in Tescos around the same time, and remember there being some tax.
    She'd have to have been working full time throughout the whole year at McDonalds, while doing her A-levels. Even then, if she's working 40 hours (which is tough during A-Levels), she'd earn maybe £120 and still take home over £100.

🤨

For someone counting every penny and earning only £120 losing £20 to taxes does indeed feel like watching it slip away.
  • Options
    eek said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Major was a major supporter of the minimum wage, but he knew he couldn't get it past the Conservative MPs, so he engineered the 1997 GE result instead?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,955
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

I have two stations in the Flatlands north of Doncaster airport, both reading 33.4C.

They aren't proper exposures though. Typical digital gauge shielding which ought to be solar corrected or actively vented. One also has some trees too close to the compound.

Talking of the airport, I see it reported that Peel are claiming it to be uneconomic. We have just had two new road extensions completed from the M18 (despite a claim that they wouldn't need any additional roads at the original planning enquiry). I suspect they are trying to get a bung to stay.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Boooo MetOffice have wiped out their thunder and rain and rapid temp drop for Edinburgh.

Boo for false hope.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,658
    nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

It's the kind of thing the US Libertarian right tend to say. PJ O'Rourke said his first payslip with tax on it is what stopped him being a socialist. And that still feels like the most useful framework for understanding Kemi's vision- make Britain more American. It's a valid one, but I'm not convinced it's a winning one.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,680
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

I think there might well be some of that. Badenoch is only 13 behind Truss, and there are 31 TT supporters going spare, who won't be keen on Truss.
    My guess

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Po2HA9a7DDVi8tuTf-cV-wXdEhIjcCUg2fGqRcvl_cI/edit?usp=sharing
    That's why I think Kemi is value at 20/1.

I think it could be close, and if she does make it I think she rides to the final given the lacklustre performance of Liz and Penny and that plenty of TT supporters want neither.

The alternative for me is to lay her down at 20/1 to get an extra £95 of profit, which is clearly odds-on, but if I do that and she pips Liz then I carry a £1,200 loss as she goes near favourite, a position I wouldn't recover.

Conclusion: buy & hold Kemi.
    If you are going to back Kemi, consider taking 10s in the market for the final two. Then in the members' runoff vote, Kemi will be odds-against (because Rishi will be favourite) so you can back her then with the winnings from the previous bet. The multiplied odds will likely be better, and of course, you do not have to re-invest all the winnings; you can be flexible.
    That's a risky strategy if ever I saw one. Have you seen her members polling ? The speccie and rw blue tick journos are cracking one off daily about her.
    Whatever the Spectator says, it is hard to imagine Kemi will start favourite in a runoff against Rishi, who will have just topped the MPs' ballot and who has been betting favourite for ages.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

36 for Humberside currently.. https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/humberside
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a little suspicious that Badenoch has been getting many more votes than her declared backers compared to the other candidates. Only 28 public endorsements last time I checked.
    I guess it's possible that Rishi already has a lot more support than the numbers suggest. But I doubt Rishi would want to do anything that would look like he had obviously helped Badenoch today. The final round is a bit different as there will be a lot of new votes flying around, so quite tricky to work out what's gone on.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    We've discussed this before - it's a niche product great for generating heat not really suitable as a source of electricity...

In places where heating is provided from a centralised location it's an efficient solution but we don't have many places like that so it's probably better elsewhere than the UK..
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

It's the kind of thing the US Libertarian right tend to say. PJ O'Rourke said his first payslip with tax on it is what stopped him being a socialist. And that still feels like the most useful framework for understanding Kemi's vision- make Britain more American. It's a valid one, but I'm not convinced it's a winning one.
    Its easy for a champagne socialist to laugh at people getting upset at losing a chunk of their low wages.

Some people can't afford to be socialists.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely - but it’s riskier.

You’re running the Hillary gambit - this person is so pie in the sky and I am so experienced and sensible and realistic that you have no other choice but me.

It should be an attractive argument but it can backfire. Massively.
    Sunak’s whole campaign was to be first out of the blocks, and to present himself as inevitable.

It’s not quite worked so far, and the members don’t seem awfully keen on him.

As suggested upthread, today’s the day that the Machevellian game of 4D chess can all go horribly wrong.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

I have two stations in the Flatlands north of Doncaster airport, both reading 33.4C.

They aren't proper exposures though. Typical digital gauge shielding which ought to be solar corrected or actively vented. One also has some trees too close to the compound.

Talking of the airport, I see it reported that Peel are claiming it to be uneconomic. We have just had two new road extensions completed from the M18 (despite a claim that they wouldn't need any additional roads at the original planning enquiry). I suspect they are trying to get a bung to stay.
    I suspect they wish to convert it to housing (there is evidence for that from Teesside - where they've been removed and Southend).
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

She got 58 votes last night but only has 27 public endorsements - so 53% aren't public

Cue speculation that it's because Gove has them ready to jump ship to Sunak after he's used Kemi to take out the Truss.
    Because Sunak loses to Truss with the members, and has a good chance against Mordaunt.
    Even if you are right, and polls differ on that question, why would Gove need Kemi supporters to switch to Sunak. That is the part I was questioning. As a conspiracy theory, it seems unnecessarily complex. Vote Kemi to beat Truss, fine, but there is no need to switch to Rishi afterwards because he is going to win anyway.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,976
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

First minimum wage was £3.60, introduced in 1999. I remember this, because I got an 80% pay rise (up from £2.00) when it was introduced, at my job with the Student Union Entertainments team.

She worked at McDonald's when doing her A'levels. I presume she'd finished her A'levels by the time she was 19.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,042
    Think we can safely say the record will fall today.
    Just feels so much warmer today, as much as the official temperature.
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

My first payslip with 40% tax on it, definitely made a difference to my outlook on life.

I was a young and keen 24-year-old, with a company car and working lots of weekend overtime for an IT company, to save for a house deposit.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:
    We've discussed this before - it's a niche product great for generating heat not really suitable as a source of electricity...

In places where heating is provided from a centralised location it's an efficient solution but we don't have many places like that so it's probably better elsewhere than the UK..
    This sounds like a great solution for central heating
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Even if you are right, and polls differ on that question, why would Gove need Kemi supporters to switch to Sunak. That is the part I was questioning. As a conspiracy theory, it seems unnecessarily complex. Vote Kemi to beat Truss, fine, but there is no need to switch to Rishi afterwards because he is going to win anyway.
    The only reason for Gove to get votes to switch to Rishi is to give Rishi a comprehensive win - say 50%+ of MP votes...
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

For someone counting every penny and earning only £120 losing £20 to taxes does indeed feel like watching it slip away.
    What's wrong with paying taxes? Services don't come for free you know.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

36 for Humberside currently.. https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/humberside
    That's not an official station though is it? Their outputs cannot be trusted and therefore cannot set records?
  • Options
    Just think if we didn't have a Tory member's vote Bozo would be leaving No 10 on Thursday night....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think a simpler explanation is that many MPs like her views but had taken the view that to endorse her publicly might risk their chances in a future Government (especially if PM became PM).

• Options
    Sandpit said:

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

My first payslip with 40% tax on it, definitely made a difference to my outlook on life.

I was a young and keen 24-year-old, with a
    company car and working lots of weekend overtime for an IT company, to save for a house
    deposit.
    Ha! So much so that you arranged your life so that these days your payslips say 0% income tax

• Options
    edited July 2022

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

But once Kemi gets ahead of Liz, Kemi beats Penny.
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

Pay for the services then.

Taxes should be kept low, but too many services that ought to be privately paid for, are paid for out of taxes instead.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,564

I don't know whether anyone else has already commented on this, but having only recently seen a clip of the debate where Lizzy Lightweight refers to Sunak having raised taxes, I was surprised that he did not remind her of the collective responsibility of cabinet. I guess there must be some record of her objecting strongly. She certainly didn't resign over the issue.

The leaks from Cabinet have claimed that she did raise her voice against tax rises and sounded off about this war bond scheme she has cooked up.

Of course, she could have been the source of the leaks.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

company car and working lots of weekend overtime for an IT company, to save for a house
    deposit.
    Ha! So much so that you arranged your life so that these days your payslips say 0% income tax

Income tax, what’s income tax? ;)
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

deposit.

Um, I think that has a lot to do with the lack of any easy means for Mrs Sandpit to live in the UK...
  • Options
    The harbingers of weather doom are looking a little silly. We have had two days of pretty hot weather. Big deal. I have been on the beach it is lovely.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

That's not an official station though is it? Their outputs cannot be trusted and therefore cannot set records?
    Heathrow isn't an official station according to https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/
  • Options
    Oh.
    We've got a 60-70 % chance of a thunderstorm at 5-6 o'clock. That's new.
    Get in !
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

The Tory system looks good on paper but it looks like it could well boil down to the following process:

1) The sanest 60% of the party pick a candidate
    2) The maddest 40% of the party pick two candidates
    3) Some of the people from the sane 60% strategically pick the least electable of the two candidates in (2), breaking the tie so their guy gets to face that person with the membership
    4) The membership chooses that person
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    52m
    UNDERDOG Kemi Badenoch could pull a blinder today and make it to the top three of the Tory race to be PM

Leadership hopeful's popularity surged in recent days, with last night's round of voting putting her in touching distance of third

By
    @hoffman_noa

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1549331435399643137
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I guess it's possible that Rishi already has a lot more support than the numbers suggest. But I doubt Rishi would want to do anything that would look like he had obviously helped Badenoch today. The final round is a bit different as there will be a lot of new votes flying around, so quite tricky to work out what's gone on.
    If you were Sunak, you would want as many public endorsements as possible to give not only the aura of inevitability but also to remind the membership that, if it voted for the other candidate, that PM would not have been the first choice of many of the MPs.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

I suspect they wish to convert it to housing (there is evidence for that from Teesside - where they've been removed and Southend).
    Housing is definitely what will happen if the council allows it.

I do wonder whether that's been the plan for a while.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,806

HYUFD said:

And people say Kemi isn't right wing!
    She's going for core ERG.
    Yes. "Core ERG" = "hard right".
    I don't think you know what hard right is.
  • Options
    LHR on track to take the record. There is no official
    station north of the Trent currently
    showing 35c+ yet, so it looks like the SE will retain the record after all.

But, we shall see.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting, and confirms what I have argued before. Badenoch is standing as the candidate to the right of Truss, who can't be trusted with Brexit. Cutting foreign aid, cutting immigration, delaying net zero if necessary, and standing up to BLM (whatever that means). Add her view of the small state, and Badenoch is standing for the (far) right. Fancy trying to outflank Truss on the right!
    She could also be highlighting to Truss' backers how vulnerable Truss would be to attack on topics that members (and voters) care out and that she is too much of a risk. Yes, she has ticked the usual Brexit, immigration boxes but the Green Belt is specifically mentioned. How many Right Wingers bang on about that? It is not as though she didn't have enough points to highlight as it is. And who gets worried most about that? Home Counties MPs worried a new PM is about to restart housebuilding and lose them their seats.
    Well, that's why I think Badenoch is a bit cynical. She's stuck 'protect the Green Belt' in there, alongside the right-wing dog whistles, because she knows there's a significant number of MPs and members to whom that would be really important.
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

Taxes should be kept low, but too many services that ought to be privately paid for, are paid for out of taxes instead.
    And this is Badenochite libertarianism: privatise the roads, privatise the police, privatise the courts, privatise unemployment benefit, privatise the NHS, privatise pensions...
  • Options

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

Housing is definitely what will happen if the council allows it.

I do wonder whether that's been the plan for a while.
    So it will come down to how desperately do the local councils wish to have a local airport.
  • Options

The harbingers of weather doom are looking a little silly. We have had two days of pretty hot weather. Big deal. I have been on the beach it is lovely.

Why are they looking silly? They said it was going to be hot, and it is.

Not everybody enjoys 40C. I'd rather be out in -40C to be honest.
  • Options

But, we shall see.

What website's that from
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss does have a magic money tree. Sfaict, Liz is saying we have a record tax take, partly thanks to inflation, fuel prices, and fiscal drag. Rishi wants to use this to pay debt, but Truss says we can rename the debt and kick it into the long grass, leaving a big pile of cash that can be spent.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

But, we shall see.

Cloud is forecast for the south east later this afternoon, and things could get a bit crazy up north.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

Oh, like hospitals? Fire stations?, schools? ICBMs? Why don't you talk some sense sometimes.
  • Options

The leaks from Cabinet have claimed that she did raise her voice against tax rises and sounded off about this war bond scheme she has cooked up.

Of course, she could have been the source of the leaks.
    Yea, but she is still bound by the collective responsibility thing. She really is continuity Johnson. He was the Liar King and she the Liar Queen. Extreme dishonesty in the pursuit of personal ambition will not have been exorcised form the leadership of the Party if she is successful
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,560
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

The people behind it reckon it would also be useful for providing heat for industrial processes. So might be a few sites where it would be used.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,206

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Its easy for a champagne socialist to laugh at people getting upset at losing a chunk of their low wages.

Some people can't afford to be socialists.
    I have exactly the same attitude towards tax now as I did in my first job, despite earning well over 100 times more per hour than I did then. It's the price we pay for living in a civilised society. And those with the broadest shoulders should welcome the opportunity to contribute most.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,915
    edited July 2022

But, we shall see.

Too early to say imo. WOW seems to be down, which is frustrating.

Edit: back now but flaky. Also nearly 2 hours out of date for, e.g. Wittering, which the Meteociel site has a later 35.1°C reading at 11:00 (10:00 UTC)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And people say Kemi isn't right wing!
    She's going for core ERG.
    Yes. "Core ERG" = "hard right".
    I don't think you know what hard right is.
    The hard [man of Brexit] right is backing Truss, isn't he?
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

This is a fascinating post because it basically stipulates that opposing BLM (itself a left-wing organisation) is a far-right position.

I suggest you watch her interviews to understand her real position on the subject, which is basically that she doesn't like identity politics and intersectionality as a sociopolitical approach.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited July 2022

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Because they want to vote for Sunak anyway? Once Truss goes, they need to switch to Sunak because the Right aligns behind Kemi, and she might top the poll outright, especially if Mordaunt is clearly fading by then. Sunak wants as big a victory in the last round as he can get, because he is not that popular with the members so needs to be seen as the clear choice by MPs.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

In Southern Hampshire the weather has been beautiful, its unusual as it is a dry heat, normally when its hot its humid as well, I have just walked round the shop and its just a lovely day.
  • Options
    Hmm... ok the official stations are a bit err... tardy to update sometimes so I thought there were way less than there actually were.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

The people behind it reckon it would also be useful for providing heat for industrial processes. So might be a few sites where it would be used.
    Oh it definitely has uses - it's not really a domestic solution though... as it is very much heat storage and not energy storage.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Does New York still have that massive steam system for heating? That’s the sort of thing for which a sand battery would be useful.
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

And this is Badenochite libertarianism: privatise the roads, privatise the police, privatise the courts, privatise unemployment benefit, privatise the NHS, privatise pensions...
    Sounds like progress for much of that, yes.

Roads we massively overpay for, we discuss this regularly.

The courts should be the state, but they're hardly providing a service at present.

We have next to no welfare going towards the unemployed presently. I think the average annual tax bill to pay benefits to the unemployed is at present £17 per person per year.

Pensioners absolutely are the root of most of the problems in society. A generation that never saved for its own retirement but now wants to vote itself decades of taxation per annum. It is a burden that the boomers never paid for themselves when they were working, and we need an Atlas Shrugged moment for the working people of today, but I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But, we shall see.

What website's that from
    UK Met Office – https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map#?map=Temperature&zoom=6&lon=-4.00&lat=52.13&fcTime=1658181600

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Ukraine's MFA backing Truss.

UK support has been vital for Ukraine’s defense all the way through Russian aggression. I am deeply grateful to the government of the UK and especially my counterpart @trussliz. Her mettle, inner steel, and clarity of purpose have been indispensable in crafting crucial decisions.
    https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1549345853051133952
  • Options
    MPs can vote by proxy, and at least one Tory MP did so. I wonder why Ellwood didn't organise a proxy vote?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

And that matters because? If Gove wants Penny to beat Kemi then he should switch his supporters to Penny. If he wants Kemi to beat Penny, leave the voters supporting Kemi. There is no reason to switch votes to Rishi who will win anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,252
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Rishi and Penny might not want to play games but they can't control what MPs do in the privacy of the voting booth.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Labour gets the Forde Inquiry Report today - a report on how it handles anti-semitism allegations. I expect no-one will pay much attention.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    Pulpstar said:

But, we shall see.

What website's that from
    Met Office

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=ScreenTemperature&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1658188800
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm... ok the official stations are a bit err... tardy to update sometimes so I thought there were way less than there actually were.

I think there are about 200 across the UK, but you make a fair point that they are relatively few and far between in the Yorkshire region.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

She worked at McDonald's when doing her A'levels. I presume she'd finished her A'levels by the time she was 19.
    So she might have been on a minimal wage rather than an official minimum wage.

Why does this matter?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Think we can safely say the record will fall today.
    Just feels so much warmer today, as much as the official temperature.

Now at 29 in my living room, whereas as all day yesterday it didn't get higher than 28.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss does have a magic money tree. Sfaict, Liz is saying we have a record tax take, partly thanks to inflation, fuel prices, and fiscal drag. Rishi wants to use this to pay debt, but Truss says we can rename the debt and kick it into the long grass, leaving a big pile of cash that can be spent.
    Great idea when interest rates are 0% not so great when interest rates are higher and you wish to completely tie down what the BoE can do..
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

Because they want to vote for Sunak anyway? Once Truss goes, they need to switch to Sunak because the Right aligns behind Kemi, and she might top the poll outright, especially if Mordaunt is clearly fading by then. Sunak wants as big a victory in the last round as he can get, because he is not that popular with the members so needs to be seen as the clear choice by MPs.
    The logical thing for Sunak to do is to lend votes to Liz to block Kemi.

Whether he has or not, I don't know.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

You can't get a cocktail for £20 in the Beaufort bar at the Savoy - it's inconsequential.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

MPs can vote by proxy, and at least one Tory MP did so. I wonder why Ellwood didn't organise a proxy vote?

He organised a proxy vote for the leadership, I think JRM removed the use of Proxy votes for Parliamentary votes (they only existed for Covid).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,724

Er, the all time UK record has just gone. That’s it. Broken

BURN BABY BURN
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

This is a fascinating post because it basically stipulates that opposing BLM (itself a left-wing organisation) is a far-right position.

I suggest you watch her interviews to understand her real position on the subject, which is basically that she doesn't like identity politics and intersectionality as a sociopolitical approach.
    I am not stipulating that opposing BLM is a far-right position. I've not used the term "far right" at all. Look at https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1549301040079687680?s=20&t=JVfnO-yBenqS5Jh5-dZMjw That message from the Kemi camp has 6 points on it. Take the first 4. Those are traditionally positions on the right of the Conservative Party. That's why I describe her as "a hard right Tory".
  • Options

nova said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

🤨

Oh, like hospitals? Fire stations?, schools? ICBMs? Why don't you talk some sense sometimes.
    You might want to have a look at what proportion of taxes actually goes on ICBMs, schools, fire stations or the NHS and what proportion of taxes goes on stuff I'd quite happily oppose it going on.

Our taxes could be much, much lower, if our spending was lower.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549345259016142848

🌡️ A temperature of 39.1°C has provisionally been recorded at Charlwood, Surrey

If confirmed this will be the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK⚠️
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    🌡️ A temperature of 39.1°C has provisionally been recorded at Charlwood, Surrey

If confirmed this will be the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK⚠️

Temperatures are likely to rise further through today 📈

#heatwave #heatwave2022

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549345259016142848
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman

It's a political scissors, paper, stone.

What japes.
  • Options
    The Met Office has a short blog on maximum temperatures and how they are recorded.

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/
  • Options
    edited July 2022

But, we shall see.

Too early to say imo. WOW seems to be down, which is frustrating.
    The SE is basically racing against time against the cold front. It might be somewhere to the north-east of London that sets the record as it had just that little bit longer before the 'cold' front arrives. LHR is to the west of London and so the front will get there earlier...

Bedford/Cambridge possibly the hotspot?
This discussion has been closed.