Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Which contenders should LAB and the LDs fear most? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,445
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

An exceedingly pleasant 20 degrees here. My banana and citrus plants are doing very well indeed.

Husband has been invited to sign up for hustings. The nearest in person ones will be in Newcastle. None in this part of the NorthWest. He is not impressed by that. So it will be online

Camden Market, which is as busy as I've seen it in years.
    Thus speaks an incomer. What a meaningless statement to make about "Camden Market" at the weekend in summer.
    WTF are you on about, you big rank hairy twat? I've lived in London for 35+ years, nearly always within walking distance of Camden Market. For the last 11 years I have lived 300 metres away from the Market

The Market has grown busier and busier over that time (as it has expanded). Covid interrupted this, now the expansion continues
    It is always busy you plonker. Covid notwithstanding. You incomer.
    If I recall correctly you were born west of the Park. You know nothing
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

BBC Weather is now predicting 42C in some places on Tuesday. eg Wittering Peterborough

Let that sink in. 42C in little old Wittering

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633727

Shit

There's a bloke on the reddit thread linked to below saying his flat is routinely 10C warmer than the outside temp. How is he not going to die? How is it legal to build or sell or rent out shit buildings like that? My house is a sort of barely habitable stone igloo but it is consistently cooler in than out (23 vs 26 at the moment)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,412
    Leon said:

BBC Weather is now predicting 42C in some places on Tuesday. eg Wittering Peterborough

The Met Office are forecasting 40C for Wittering, and also Coningsby.

Climate Scientists would never have received ethics approval for an experiment like this if they'd asked for it, but they're crafty buggers and they managed to trick you into going ahead with the experiment anyway. Masters of reverse psychology!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402
    MattW said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

An exceedingly pleasant 20 degrees here. My banana and citrus plants are doing very well indeed.

Husband has been invited to sign up for hustings. The nearest in person ones will be in Newcastle. None in this part of the NorthWest. He is not impressed by that. So it will be online

Thus speaks an incomer. What a meaningless statement to make about "Camden Market" at the weekend in summer.
    WTF are you on about, you big rank hairy twat? I've lived in London for 35+ years, nearly always within walking distance of Camden Market. For the last 11 years I have lived 300 metres away from the Market

The Market has grown busier and busier over that time (as it has expanded). Covid interrupted this, now the expansion continues
    Awaits the evidence from @TOPPING that s/he shaves...
    In time it will be a big day for me.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,872
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

1976: not only were the Synoptics absolutely unique and not yet repeated, but the UK had the biggest warm anomaly of anywhere on earth that summer, with blues on the anomaly map across much of the rest of the planet. Now we are just one bit of a vast sea of red and orange, despite it being a (relatively cool) La Niña year globally.

If we saw June-July Synoptics in 2022 we would get a repeat of 1976, but with temperatures a degree of two higher.

Indeed this morning’s GFS run showed essentially a 1976-style run of hot days from next weekend, 34-36C day after day. Massive outlier big shows what would happen if we ever repeated the pattern.

June 1976 averaged 17.0C in central England, the same as July 2022 so far, before the heatwave.

1976 is the “we survived the blitz” of modern British climate denial.

1976 was more that that, and generally I don't think we are anywhere near that yet.

It was for three months and nearly 18C average:

In the Central England Temperature series, 1976 is the hottest summer for more than 350 years. The average temperature over the whole summer (June, July, August) was 17.77 °C (63.99 °F), compared to the average for the unusually warm years between 2001–2008 of 16.30 °C (61.34 °F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

The noticeable thing for me this year - Midlands - so far is the changeability of it. We have had a heat wave in spring, plus a cold period. Followed by May/June/July where we have continued to receive periodic rain - my garden water butts keep getting refilled by showers and overnight rain before they run completely dry.

Also the water problems in 1976 were also due to an extended serious shortage of rain from Summer 75 / Autumn 75 / Winter 75 / Spring 76.

Even in 2018 hosepipe bans started at the end of June. To date this year none are in place.

There are also background factors, such as reduced water reduced leakage in the supply.

I was going to add in reduced leakage, but when I can find immediate estimates that domestic is either 5% or 50% of total usage, I don't think that reliable figures exist.
    Even so, the denial is a bit like saying house fires dont' exist because the average temperature of a burnt down house is about 25 degC averaged out for a year.
    Is anyone still in denial about the gradual warming of the climate and the need to continue to address it?

Who?
    Quite a few folk ... including some Tories. One of us was denying the need for net zero policies only a couple of hours ago, which is pretty much the same thing.
    Big G also said we couldn’t afford “net zero”.
    There’s quite a lot of confusion over it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

So were you. Cornwall is west of Regent's Park ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Here's what Penny Mordaunt claimed about the NHS during the Channel Four debate last night. Since then the tweets she posted making the same claim have been deleted from her account and her team have not responded to requests to explain what her claim was based on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1548290880196333568

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLondonLawye1/status/1548292444789256192

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

It’s probably this - 180 companies have had NHS funding for innovations - horribly misconstrued: https://england.nhs.uk/aac/what-we-do/how-can-the-aac-help-me/sbri-healthcare/

---

She is looking very accident prone

Or possibly she misheard someone saying that 180innovations plc isn't being used by the NHS? And mangled it. As suggested bu this chap.

https://mobile.twitter.com/binaryape/status/1548040814437093387

This coming out with any old guff on the spur of the moment is horribly familiar. 40 new hospitals and all that, remember?
    But they seem to be a retail, Boots the chemist sort of thing
    Yep, but the name is suspiciously similar. Anyway it's doomed to remain one of the great unanswered questions of the cosmos, like the Riemann hypothesis, and exactly what gender a Little Grey Alien is.
    And "What is the square root of 1 million?"
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Shit

There's a bloke on the reddit thread linked to below saying his flat is routinely 10C warmer than the outside temp. How is he not going to die? How is it legal to build or sell or rent out shit buildings like that? My house is a sort of barely habitable stone igloo but it is consistently cooler in than out (23 vs 26 at the moment)
    My flat is also, regularly, 10C warmer than outside. It's the first floor, with very high ceilings, and floor to ceiling windows. Facing absolutely due south

I will close the windows and blinds early tomorrow, and they might stay shut til Wednesday dawn. And I shall pray

If it gets really bad I will go to a hotel
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    edited July 2022
    Well. My heat-pump including 'portable' air conditioner has just arrived, 2 days early.

Delivery gent not impressed with the 28kg weight and lifting it up the step to the front door. Quite: "f*cks sake".

I'll have to introduce him to the chap Howdens sent before with a 105kg kitchen range, a lorry with a 1.6m load bed, alone and with no trolley. We had to carry that in by hand.

Experiments can start as to whether this will make much difference with a couple of hours of setting the house temp in the morning for summer and winter to save the bills, using the solar energy, and what sort of scale of heat pump I may need to replace the gas boiler eventually.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

1976: not only were the Synoptics absolutely unique and not yet repeated, but the UK had the biggest warm anomaly of anywhere on earth that summer, with blues on the anomaly map across much of the rest of the planet. Now we are just one bit of a vast sea of red and orange, despite it being a (relatively cool) La Niña year globally.

If we saw June-July Synoptics in 2022 we would get a repeat of 1976, but with temperatures a degree of two higher.

Indeed this morning’s GFS run showed essentially a 1976-style run of hot days from next weekend, 34-36C day after day. Massive outlier big shows what would happen if we ever repeated the pattern.

June 1976 averaged 17.0C in central England, the same as July 2022 so far, before the heatwave.

1976 was more that that, and generally I don't think we are anywhere near that yet.

In the Central England Temperature series, 1976 is the hottest summer for more than 350 years. The average temperature over the whole summer (June, July, August) was 17.77 °C (63.99 °F), compared to the average for the unusually warm years between 2001–2008 of 16.30 °C (61.34 °F).

The noticeable thing for me this year - Midlands - so far is the changeability of it. We have had a heat wave in spring, plus a cold period. Followed by May/June/July where we have continued to receive periodic rain - my garden water butts keep getting refilled by showers and overnight rain before they run completely dry.

Also the water problems in 1976 were also due to an extended serious shortage of rain from Summer 75 / Autumn 75 / Winter 75 / Spring 76.

Even in 2018 hosepipe bans started at the end of June. To date this year none are in place.

There are also background factors, such as reduced water reduced leakage in the supply.

I was going to add in reduced leakage, but when I can find immediate estimates that domestic is either 5% or 50% of total usage, I don't think that reliable figures exist.
    Even so, the denial is a bit like saying house fires dont' exist because the average temperature of a burnt down house is about 25 degC averaged out for a year.
    Is anyone still in denial about the gradual warming of the climate and the need to continue to address it?

Who?
    I suspect our seaside resorts won't be complaining too much if Britain gets Spain's summer temperatures and Spain gets Dubai's summer temperatures.

Longer term it is a matter of ensuring we have enough fossil fuel free energy, which likely includes nuclear as well as renewables
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    Exactly. THE Park. Primrose Hill. It is the only Royal Park worthy of the name
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,576
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Here's what Penny Mordaunt claimed about the NHS during the Channel Four debate last night. Since then the tweets she posted making the same claim have been deleted from her account and her team have not responded to requests to explain what her claim was based on.

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

It’s probably this - 180 companies have had NHS funding for innovations - horribly misconstrued: https://england.nhs.uk/aac/what-we-do/how-can-the-aac-help-me/sbri-healthcare/

---

She will get taken apart by Starmer, who sticks religiously on message.

She clearly thought it was a applause moment with the crowd going wild, not clear if she thought of it off the cuff or not but she's proving to be a total lightweight.
    “her team have not responded to requests to explain what her claim was based on.”

That’s because, like everyone else, they don’t have a clue what she was on about.”
    And, presumably, it's no good asking her because she doesn't know?
    Hence deleting all evidence to it, and hope no one noticed.

She’ll probably deny she ever said it, and Cyclefree will add it to her little list.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    MattW said:

Well. My heat-pump including 'portable' air conditioner has just arrived, 2 days early.

Delivery gent not impressed with the 28kg weight and lifting it up the step to the front door. Quite: "f*cks sake".

I'll have to introduce him to the chap Howdens sent before with a 105kg kitchen range, a lorry with a 1.6m load bed, alone and with no trolley. We had to carry that in by hand.

Experiments can start as to whether this will make much difference with a couple of hours of setting the house temp in the morning for summer and winter to save the bills, using the solar energy, and what sort of scale of heat pump I may need to replace the gas boiler eventually.

Sounds adventurous. Please keep us informed as I have been thinking about it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?
    Quite a few folk ... including some Tories. One of us was denying the need for net zero policies only a couple of hours ago, which is pretty much the same thing.

Edit: I have just realised yo might have thought my comment was aimed at you specifically. Not at all; apologies if it was misconstrued as such. It was an allusion to TimT's final comment, before your post (and again not aimed at him but the situation he mentions).
    I think the logic is now

It is a problem

There is no free market solution to it

Therefore there is no solution to it
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?
    I suspect our seaside resorts won't be complaining too much if Britain gets Spain's summer temperatures and Spain gets Dubai's summer temperatures.

Longer term it is a matter of ensuring we have enough fossil fuel free energy, which likely includes nuclear as well as renewables
    All those London sewers are really gonna start to reek worse than they currently do.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

She clearly thought it was a applause moment with the crowd going wild, not clear if she thought of it off the cuff or not but she's proving to be a total lightweight.
    “her team have not responded to requests to explain what her claim was based on.”

That’s because, like everyone else, they don’t have a clue what she was on about.”

She’ll probably deny she ever said it, and Cyclefree will add it to her little list.
    As the immortal Bard wrote:

If there's a hole in a' your coats,
    I rede you tent it:
    A chield's amang you takin notes,
    And faith he'll prent it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?

Edit: I have just realised yo might have thought my comment was aimed at you specifically. Not at all; apologies if it was misconstrued as such. It was an allusion to TimT's final comment, before your post (and again not aimed at him but the situation he mentions).
    To be fair, you can accept global warming whilst also opposing net zero policies if you come to slightly depressing conclusion that it's not going to work with populations in China, Africa and India continuing to grow.

I'm sympathetic to that position, but still think going for net zero is worth it for a bunch of other reasons (primarily cheap, secure energy provision and air pollution in our cities).

• Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Shit

My flat is also, regularly, 10C warmer than outside. It's the first floor, with very high ceilings, and floor to ceiling windows. Facing absolutely due south

I will close the windows and blinds early tomorrow, and they might stay shut til Wednesday dawn. And I shall pray

Same reddit thread points out that skyscrapers in the US have tinted windows to reduce aircon use. Something we don't have in the UK.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?

To be fair, you can accept global warming whilst also opposing net zero policies if you come to slightly depressing conclusion that it's not going to work with populations in China, Africa and India continuing to grow.

I'm sympathetic to that position, but still think going for net zero is worth it for a bunch of other reasons (primarily cheap, secure energy provision and air pollution in our cities).

Also, the gradual warming isn't the primary issue, imo. It's the frequency of these mad weather events.
  • Options
    My American friend, who lives in Islington/Camden borders, ordered massive aircon units that vent outside some years ago.

Everyone thought her quite mad.

She’s laughing now.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/16/johnson-plan-peerages-early-byelections-nadine-dorries-nigel-adams

'Boris Johnson is threatening to set an “early test” for his successor by ensuring they have to face two early byelections as the new Tory leader, the Observer has been told.

The prime minister is planning to elevate at least two current MPs to the House of Lords well before the next election, triggering two contests that will test public support for whoever replaces him in Downing Street.

It is understood that he wants to hand peerages to Nigel Adams, a cabinet office minister and one of his closest allies, and culture secretary Nadine Dorries [...]'
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

Will not help Mordaunt's attempts to portray herself as serious and thoughtful and thorough, which are qualities we need.

Having said that, watching the attempts at demonisation narratives being worked out is interesting.

Here is one in Stylist Magazine (which is quite leftish and fashionably thick) that Suella Braverman has "£159,000 of expenses", which is a narrative that no longer works with anybody half-intelligent because it includes the office staff.
    https://www.stylist.co.uk/news/politics/suella-braverman-benefits-expenses/682484

Jack Monroe tried that one on when she was abusing my MP Lee Anderson, but has since gone quiet about threats of legal action - presumably out of embarrassment and lawyers explaining twittery to her. No - I'm not defending Anderson, just hoping for a less gormless standard of attack.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    Didn't we work out that someone on here was born there also?
  • Options
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?

They will when they are under water.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,507

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

I.e. she made it up on the spot.
    That is the one explanation that must be wrong. Either she planned to say it, but did not understand the research her SpAd dug up, or it was spur of the moment blurting out of something she only half-remembered something she'd read somewhere.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,877

My American friend, who lives in Islington/Camden borders, ordered massive aircon units that vent outside some years ago.

She’s laughing now.

She's creating climate change with her air conditioners.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited July 2022
    deleted, unreadable :lol:
  • Options
    Leon said:

Still going with the BBC forecasts rather than the Met Office ones?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    Isn't Avenue Road the place for dodgy plutocrats who can't afford Bishops Avenue?

Can it be reached with a private helicopter?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,512
    Leon said:

If that forecast verifies - 42C in eastern England - then that means the record isn't just broken, it is smashed

The present record is a mere 38.7C, set in nearby Cambridge in 2019

I'm starting to think Climate Change might actually be a *thing*

Best get used to it. This is what 1.1C warming is like and we're going to probably get a peak of 2.2-2.4C warming, and this problem isn't going to go away for 100-120 years.

Welcome to the new normal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,412
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?

China and India are most threatened by global warming, so they will take action out of self-interest. Agriculture in China is particularly at risk.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Shit

Same reddit thread points out that skyscrapers in the US have tinted windows to reduce aircon use. Something we don't have in the UK.
    I know a software developer who works in Florida. The building aircon is run so high that people take in little heaters to keep their feet warm.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    27 outside, 20.5 inside for me at the moment.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/16/johnson-plan-peerages-early-byelections-nadine-dorries-nigel-adams

'Boris Johnson is threatening to set an “early test” for his successor by ensuring they have to face two early byelections as the new Tory leader, the Observer has been told.

The prime minister is planning to elevate at least two current MPs to the House of Lords well before the next election, triggering two contests that will test public support for whoever replaces him in Downing Street.

It is understood that he wants to hand peerages to Nigel Adams, a cabinet office minister and one of his closest allies, and culture secretary Nadine Dorries [...]'

I think it’s now fairly clear that The Oaf hates the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Leon said:

If that forecast verifies - 42C in eastern England - then that means the record isn't just broken, it is smashed

Terrible time for Badenoch to expose herself as being in denial about climate change.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,903
    Nothing particular to fear from this lot. It was always going to be hard work to dismantle an 80 seat majority. Nothing has changed in that regard. Compared to 2019 Labour are stronger and the Tories are far weaker. All to play for.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    And also......

I remember working on a stall at "the Lock" (glass jewellery - we were also at Portobello) when the bloke used to come round collecting £6 per unit.

35 years. Pah!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

She’s laughing now.

You’re creating climate change by posting.
    What do you advise her / us? Sweat it out every summer?
  • Options

Leon said:

Terrible time for Badenoch to expose herself as being in denial about climate change.
    I predict the Met Office forecasts will turn out to be more accurate than the BBC ones.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MattW said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    Isn't Avenue Road the place for dodgy plutocrats who can't afford Bishops Avenue?

Who the hell would choose to live in Bishop's Avenue.

And Winnington Road was the substitute. Both near Kenwood.
  • Options
    Reading Penny's book - although I suspect it's basically ghost-written by Chris Lewis.

It's a lot of waffle: what sort of country we are, then long-winded wax-lyricising about our challenges, with some statistics thrown in, and plenty more waffle about the statistics, but very light on solutions.

Its main premise seems to be to abolish the House of Lords, as if that will fix everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

She’s laughing now.

Hope she's using them intelligently, ie things that which can be sensibly done to keep the cost and energy use down has been done.

One of my energy reducing enthusiast friends, who has built a huge near-passive house in Edinburgh with an indoor swimming poor, says his American wife looks at him with a "why are you bothering me with this?" expression when he talks about saving on the energy. Very stereotypically American - we're well off so let's ignore the consequences. He has a very good story about what happened to a neighbour's Planning Permission when an underground oil pipe was not where the Local Authority thought it was.

Was talking to my T yesterday who uses air con to keep her many (7, I think now) dogs happy in the summer in the sun-lounge, and she commented that if she leaves it running whilst out during the day at her new cafe-bar it currently puts her electricity up from around £3.50 per day to £5 (says the smart meter). They may need that for about 3-4 weeks, as it has a huge ventilation fan installed.

Mine will hopefully cost nothing to run due to the solar. Time will tell.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Carnyx said:

Good. Get Dorries well away from the her destroy-the-BBC mission.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Reading Penny's book - although I suspect it's basically ghost-written by Chris Lewis.

It's a lot of waffle: what sort of country we are, then long-winded wax-lyricising about our challenges, with some statistics thrown in, and plenty more waffle about the statistics, but very light on solutions.

Its main premise seems to be to abolish the House of Lords, as if that will fix everything.

However. A Tory leader ditching the House of Lords would be interesting.
    It needs radical reform. And too much time for an incoming government to waste on it.
  • Options
    On topic.
    LD Mordaunt.
    Labour Sunak.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

She’s laughing now.

You’re creating climate change by posting.
    What do you advise her / us? Sweat it out every summer?
    We need to get past this. You may as well try and desalinate the pacific ocean using a pipette and a piece of filter paper.

We all share the same atmosphere. The UK could hit Net Zero by 2040 and it wouldn't make a smidgen of difference unless China, Brazil, India and Russia all do the same.

Economics will always be the driver. So the only solution is tech and mass roll-out of tech.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Peers can sit in cabinet ...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Going to be weirdly windy Tuesday. Normally when it's hot everything is pond still
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It needs radical reform. And too much time for an incoming government to waste on it.
    Not on the top 100 things to deal with.
    I’ve slowly realised Penny is an empty vessel.

I still think she’s “favourite”, but I’m beginning to think Rishi will simply go longer and stronger during the campaign with members.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think it’s now fairly clear that The Oaf hates the Conservative Party.
    To be fair to Boris, he is getting Nadine Dorries out of the Commons.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

FPT

But as a child at the time I remember that 1976 went on for ever and ever.

How can a heatwave that starts on Monday and lasts until Tuesday possibly compete?

Although tbf I see the boffins are suggesting we might get a replay the week following.
    Early August in that 76 summer I went with a family friend who was a long distance lorry driver - from Harwich to Bremerhaven, across Luneberg Heath to East Germany, across East Germany, across Czechoslovakia, across Hungary, down through Yugoslavia and down to Athens. Through the Iron Curtain. And back.

And it was hellish toasty all the time. Europe was sweltering too.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nothing particular to fear from this lot. It was always going to be hard work to dismantle an 80 seat majority. Nothing has changed in that regard. Compared to 2019 Labour are stronger and the Tories are far weaker. All to play for.

Football-team stuff: "this lot", "(we're) stronger", "all to play for"..

@Jonathan is a more intelligent and shrewd version of @HYUFD

Discuss.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Going to be weirdly windy Tuesday. Normally when it's hot everything is pond still

IT comes, the blast of death! that sudden glare
    Tinges with purple hues the stagnant air:
    Fearful in silence, o’er the heaving strand
    Sweeps the wild gale, and licks the curling sand,
    While o’er the vast Sahara from afar 5
    Rushes the tempest in his wingéd car:
    Swift from their bed the flame-like billows rise
    Whirling and surging to the copper skies,
    As when Briareus lifts his hundred arms,
    Grasps at high heaven, and fills it with alarms; 10
    In eddying chaos madly mixt on high
    Gigantic pillars dance along the sky,
    Or stalk in awful slowness through the gloom,
    Or track the coursers of the dread simoom,
    Or clashing in mid air, to ruin hurled, 15
    Fall as the fragments of a shattered world!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Discuss.
    Casino is a patronising combination of meat cutlets, discuss
  • Options

Well, it will fuck up Lady Nadine's new soap box..... 🤣
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

If the House of Lords is replaced by an elected second chamber, it likely just leads to the legislative deadlock we see in the USA in the long run
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

They can't go everywhere. I'd be surprised if Carlisle is in the top 100 towns in terms of population, so what does he expect?
    Well, let's see: this area has had Labour MPs for quite some time. It was our constituency turning blue in 2017 which marked one of the shifts to the Tories. Then the rest in 2019. The recent local elections have been bad for the Tories so if they wanted to test opinion in an area which they ought to be holding onto it might make sense to have some hustings - in Barrow or Carlisle or even Lancaster or Preston.

He doesn't expect much from any political party. He was a little surprised that they weren't even making an effort to listen to or make the case to a party of the country which is meant to be part of this venerated Red Wall. There is plenty of time for them to do so over the summer. Mrs May made the effort to come up here. So the 2 could bloody well do so as well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gorgeous breeze down here in Devon today. Wonderfully clement, but not what you would call hot.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    As was I. In the same clinic at the bottom end near the Park.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.

Someone with lots of cash and a helicopter :smile:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,903
    If elected, Sunak will make a big splash on the global stage. His election will be presented as a big deal. A bit like Obama. You will see him with Macron, Trudeau etc. That presents some risk for Labour, but it’s the economy that will determine the next election.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    There you are I knew there were two of us!

No.12 I think. It's now a block of flats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We're ALL going to get the hairdryer treatment.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

If the House of Lords is replaced by an elected second chamber, it likely just leads to the legislative deadlock we see in the USA in the long run
    This is why we should have one chamber, with a fifth of members up for election each year.

Or PR.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.

Someone with lots of cash and a helicopter :smile:
    I think most/many of the places in Bishop's Avenue are vacant.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

That is the one explanation that must be wrong. Either she planned to say it, but did not understand the research her SpAd dug up, or it was spur of the moment blurting out of something she only half-remembered something she'd read somewhere.
    The quote-picture-tweet suggests planning.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Shit

It may of course be far too soon for us to, well, meet. But I have a delightfully appointed very spacious cool house with sea views and much shade roundabouts. We need never meet at all and you, poor overheated refugee from the London inferno, can rest awhile. There is even a beautiful old church drawn by Turner for you to pray in.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,288

Pulpstar said:

Gorgeous breeze down here in Devon today. Wonderfully clement, but not what you would call hot.
    Same on the glorious North East Coast in south Tyneside.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,635

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

Believe that PM4PM posted a web-ad or something re: 180 (or maybe another number?) BEFORE Friday debate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Not just in the long run.
    Nobody who suggests an elected HoL has really thought it out. It’s a bit like those who want an English parliament.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Penny Mordaunt followed by a 2023 election is bad news for both oppo parties. She’ll be an effective campaigner but possibly ineffective administrator. So an election during a honeymoon period hot on the heels of a major political reset = Tory majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Discuss.
    Stylish insult. Deserves a like.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peers can sit in cabinet ...
    You think Nadine gets a Cabinet seat with ANY of the final five?

Nah....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Nobody who suggests an elected HoL has really thought it out. It’s a bit like those who want an English parliament.
    That was shade, and the people of the south are grateful for it
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Not on the top 100 things to deal with.
    I’ve slowly realised Penny is an empty vessel.

I still think she’s “favourite”, but I’m beginning to think Rishi will simply go longer and stronger during the campaign with members.
    No it isn't you're right.
    But if we are at the Cones Hotline stage, there are more damaging projects for busywork.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The only sensible choices for leader are Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch IMO.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 798
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

FPT

Who?

I think the logic is now

It is a problem

There is no free market solution to it

Therefore there is no solution to it
    It's from people who didn't think to read past the first chapter of their economics textbooks. Free markets do not take into account externalities, so once you've identified something (emitting carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases) that has a large negative impact (rapid climate change) on someone other than the consumer/producer of a good (in this case the whole world and future generations), then some form of taxation and regulation are the only solutions.

The only choice is between incurring costs to mitigate the impact by decarbonising, or incurring costs by adapting to climate change once it's already happened. In practice the latter just kicks the can down the road as warming will continue until we decarbonise.

Action should be equally acceptable to the left and right from an economic theory perspective, with debate over the best policy mix.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Though at least an English Parliament only gives England the same parity with the other Home Nations. An elected House of Lords would drastically reduce the power of the House of Commons however
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like it's the southerly wind from the Sahara that's going to be causing the hot weather.
  • Options
    To pair two of PB's favourite topics, we need to shift Her Maj up to Balmoral asap. 35c in Windsor.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

If elected, Sunak will make a big splash on the global stage. His election will be presented as a big deal. A bit like Obama. You will see him with Macron, Trudeau etc. That presents some risk for Labour, but it’s the economy that will determine the next election.

Except Obama, Macron and Trudeau were or are all leaders of the liberal left, so not sure how that goes down with conservatives back home
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Though at least an English Parliament only gives England the same parity with the other Home Nations. An elected House of Lords would drastically reduce the power of the House of Commons however
    Conceptual parity, but not actual or consequential parity.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

NEW @JLPartnersPolls for The Sunday @Telegraph

We polled a representative sample of 4,500 people and used MrP to model it onto seats - with awareness of candidates factored in.

In 76% of seats the Conservatives won in 2019, Rishi Sunak has the highest net 'good PM' rating (1/6)

.. I’m probably coming around to Rishi being the most competent

Yup, I think that's true and the answer to Mike's hypothetical.

I don't see any candidate who could hope to lead the Conservatives to anything more than opposition with most Parliamentary seats. Rishi has the best chance of doing that; Badenoch might, but may equally prove a catastrophe.

The others would struggle to stave off a Labour majority. Truss would be particularly disastrous but happily for Con supporters that boat appears to have sailed, empty of cargo.

Tugenhat would be awkward for the LDs but he'd be anathema to a large portion of his Party so it doesn't matter; t'aint gonna happen.
    I’m seeing Rishi as PM, Mordaunt Home, Truss gone. Badenoch difficult - I’d want her at Education because I think she’d be fantastic but she might want something more senior. Tug probably justifies a junior cabinet role.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

She received money from a climate change denier. Why?

Mind you, Kemi's claims on climate change have been rubbished by some scientists.

For all his faults Sunak may end up being the least worst option.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Discuss.
    So, you can surprise: genuinely witty and creative for once.

More please.
  • Options

We polled a representative sample of 4,500 people and used MrP to model it onto seats - with awareness of candidates factored in.

In 76% of seats the Conservatives won in 2019, Rishi Sunak has the highest net 'good PM' rating (1/6)

I don't see any candidate who could hope to lead the Conservatives to anything more than opposition with most Parliamentary seats. Rishi has the best chance of doing that; Badenoch might, but may equally prove a catastrophe.

The others would struggle to stave off a Labour majority. Truss would be particularly disastrous but happily for Con supporters that boat appears to have sailed, empty of cargo.

Tugenhat would be awkward for the LDs but he'd be anathema to a large portion of his Party so it doesn't matter; t'aint gonna happen.
    I’m seeing Rishi as PM, Mordaunt Home, Truss gone. Badenoch difficult - I’d want her at Education because I think she’d be fantastic but she might want something more senior. Tug probably justifies a junior cabinet role.
    Mordaunt as Home Secretary will destroy any future hopes she might entertain. An absolute graveyard that post.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sunak is second generation, Kemi is first. That would blow a lot of minds if a Nigerian immigrant became Prime Minister, especially at such a young age. But yes Rishi would do similar internationally.

What’s interesting to me is how little race has featured in this election. No one was talking Javid up or down as the son of Pakistani immigrants, ditto Rishi with India or Braverman / Mauritius, Zahawi first Gen Iraq, Kemi first Gen Nigeria.

There’s been tangential discussion from a left/right point scoring prism but that’s about it. Underlines to me how UK society is far more structured around class than race. Hence “Rishi is the tax raising Davos man”, “Javid just another banker” etc…

Those that like to do our society down and who so willingly hitched a ride on the BLM train would do well to ponder this.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790
    Eabhal said:

To pair two of PB's favourite topics, we need to shift Her Maj up to Balmoral asap. 35c in Windsor.

Put her in Boris’s fridge for a couple of days.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,635
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Shit

I just got the cheap bastards who own my humble abode in Seattle to spring for tinting my windows, using film applied to window using water & a squeegee.

Appears to be doing a good job so far moderating indoor temp in my south-facing apartment. But have NOT had a real heatwave yet this year . . . and I am NOT lobbying for one!
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Replying to

@AdamBienkov

---

The quote-picture-tweet suggests planning.
    It is very odd. I'm starting to wonder if someone set her up. Dunno. Let's see if there is anything in the Sundays.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The only sensible choices for leader are Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch IMO.

That's where I'm ending up.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Avenue Road.
    There you are I knew there were two of us!

No.12 I think. It's now a block of flats.
    That's the one. Would it be rude of me to ask the year?
  • Options
    "Kemi would be my first choice, I could tolerate Truss, Mordaunt lacks substance, Tug is a bit wet and Sunak.....I can no more vote for a party led by him than I can live in a country he governs; inept, economically illiterate, smug, backstabbing and completely devoid of empathy and understanding of the real world."

Views from the frothing wing of the Cons Party. Comment from under one MP's post about the contest.
  • Options
    What are Kemi’s false climate claims?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Most places get by with two elected chambers, but the Commons would need to think very carefully what kind of chamber it wants if it replaces the Lords.

Given how governments dislike scrutiny, I'd suspect they'd be more in favour of unicameralism.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mordaunt as Home Secretary will destroy any future hopes she might entertain. An absolute
    graveyard that post.
    Rishi PM, no idea who his chancellor is. Gove perhaps if he shifts camp when Kemi gets knocked out? TT foreign sec and Kemi at Home are appointments that write themselves. Wallace only other surviving Cabinet member at Defence prior to the NATO gig. Truss would need some time on the backbenchers. Mordaunt is the tricky one to place. She’d need a high profile job but you don’t want to make her Chancellor if the rumours of her abilities are true. Deputy PM and something I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.