Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Snap debate poll gives it to Tugendhat – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

TT made me want to puke.

Why, specifically?
    The bit about the NHS. I know all politicians lay it on thick with audience interaction, but he took it to a new level.
    Meaning, he was just better at it. They all do the "I was born/had my children/died in an NHS hospital" shit.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Leon said:

I thought Tugendhat was posh, stiff, formal and about 20 years out of date.

Maybe it's nostalgia.

I agree. I felt he is stupid. Just stupid. Why am I even bothering to sugar the pill? He's DIM

I know his type and he's like Ben Wallace. Fucking stupid if above average - IQ about 120 - but due to posh class status they over-estimate themselves by an order of magnitude. I often wonder if Cameron was the same

Cameron/Clegg/Brown were miles ahead of this lot
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

** The Telegraph’s Peterborough column **

Is Boris going to set up his own political party like En Marche? A Tory donor tells us he is willing to fund it…

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/15/boris-going-set-political-party/

He'll never do it. For a start setting up a political takes organization skills that the current Prime Minister is somewhat lacking in...
    He’d also have to have a bit of talent for coalition building.

Non, non, non..
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,525
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

Is Boris going to set up his own political party like En Marche? A Tory donor tells us he is willing to fund it…

He'll never do it. For a start setting up a political takes organization skills that the current Prime Minister is somewhat lacking in...
    He won't do it, natch. Question is whether he gets another go at being the figurehead whilst someone else does it for him.

Anyone who does that after seeing what Boris did to Dom deserves everything they have coming for them.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

I was pleasantly surprised at Tom. Needs to cut down on the smiling a bit but otherwise came across as kind, sincere and honest.

Also, good glassmanship

I thought Kemi scored points by turning out in that nice yellow. wtf were the other women thinking, going all drab when you don't have to?
    Truss should have turned up in a red evening dress to maximise the impression of unhinged, vampiric lunacy.
    I thought Truss dressed like the kind of teacher you hated at school. Mordaunt dressed like the head teacher. I hated the fact that Sunak didn’t wear a tie. You know full well he has thousands of pounds worth in his walking in wardrobe but was told that he’d look cooler if he didn’t wear one.
    covid has killed ties, only salesmen wear them these days
    Time to kill them off for good. In today’s enlightened times, why shoul smart dress for people who identify as female be a floaty summer dress, and for mean a suit and tie? Business attire is changing, and for the better. What is the point of a tie?

Edit: posted after wearing said tie for 10 hours at graduation today...
    Business attire for my office is assorted outdoor casual. Scientists know how to dress. Mine is a shop coat and steelies because getting solder on your shirt is not ideal.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    MaxPB said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Does anyone think Truss could be next out after that?

No. The hardcore ERG types have nowhere else to go.
    Kemi. She'll pick up a lot of those braverman votes and probably quite a few of the TT votes as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the final three becomes Kemi, Rishi and Penny and a final two of Rishi vs one of the other two.
    Not convinced. The Right isn't a monolithic bloc. I'm not convinced (admittedly from the little that I've seen so far) that Badenoch is sufficiently committed to shit stirring about Europe to the exclusion of everything else for the taste of some.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Scott_xP said:

Further confirming Tory donors are complete idiots.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    HYUFD said:

Tugendhat had his Clegg moment certainly

He would have benefited from the debate taking place a week ago.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

I was pleasantly surprised at Tom. Needs to cut down on the smiling a bit but otherwise came across as kind, sincere and honest.

Also, good glassmanship

I thought Kemi scored points by turning out in that nice yellow. wtf were the other women thinking, going all drab when you don't have to?
    Truss should have turned up in a red evening dress to maximise the impression of unhinged, vampiric lunacy.
    I thought Truss dressed like the kind of teacher you hated at school. Mordaunt dressed like the head teacher. I hated the fact that Sunak didn’t wear a tie. You know full well he has thousands of pounds worth in his walking in wardrobe but was told that he’d look cooler if he didn’t wear one.
    It's a good point. I wonder if the necktie is going the way of the hat, after Spanish flu

From universal to invisible, in a couple of decades (but accelerated here)
    Yeah. Saw someone in the street today in a small Northumberland town wearing one. Without a suit. Not in an obvious professional capacity.
    It could have been spatterdashers.
  • Options

Sir Keir Starmer is showing he is unfit to be Prime Minister, here's wearing the outfit of the football hooligan, Stone Fecking Island.

Definitely a bit Fred Perry, but is it really naive/unsophisticated to ask about the background? Asking for a f.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,274
    Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

The full Salmond
    And as we saw at PMQs that has been a huge success!

I keep driving past Salmond's house to see if he has respected the council planning decision to outlaw his large YES sign in his garden,

He hasn't.
  • Options

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Time to kill them off for good. In today’s enlightened times, why shoul smart dress for people who identify as female be a floaty summer dress, and for mean a suit and tie? Business attire is changing, and for the better. What is the point of a tie?

I like wearing a suit and tie, I feel more productive as I mentally switch into work mode. But the tie at least will not remain a ubiquitous part of business attire, I am sure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

It's a good point. I wonder if the necktie is going the way of the hat, after Spanish flu

Bugger, I have a collection of around 300 interesting and beautiful ties,

Hats are back, sort of.
  • Options

Sir Keir Starmer is showing he is unfit to be Prime Minister, here's wearing the outfit of the football hooligan, Stone Fecking Island.

That could have been an iconic photo.
    But he just looks vacant.
    Maybe that's all he needs?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Leon said:

Prediction: it will be Mordaunt v Sunak in the final two, and Mordaunt will win, because the Tories don't want yet another posh banker type as PM, and Penny will remind them of Maggie

Not sure anything tonight has changed that

I think you are right about the final 2. But a GE is coming soon and I don't think PM4PM is PM material. She is not intellectually nimble enoughor on top of the issues , in my view.

The members will surely have an eye to who might win the next GE - not just who they prefer?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,370

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

For most men the tie could be the only thing of any colour that they wear in smart dress. It would be a retrograde to get rid of it, unless bright colours for suits were to become the norm.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

The full Salmond
    I'll say this for Salmond - unlike countless other loud, moaning formerly significant figures, he actually did follow through and found a new vehicle.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

The tie is the most useless and irrelevant item of clothing known to mankind. It’s time it went the way of the hansom cab and the flintlock musket.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    IshmaelZ said:

Definitely a bit Fred Perry, but is it really naive/unsophisticated to ask about the background? Asking for a f.
    The Berlin Wall.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,860
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Further confirming Tory donors are complete idiots.
    Wouldn't be a Tory donor would s/he?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

With my Labour hat on, I was most worried about Penny winning, and that spelling trouble for Labour.

I'm not worried any more. Very underwhelming, I thought, and would be out of her depth as PM.

Whereas Kemi Badenoch has demonstrated why she is a very real threat.
    You must be joking?

Kemi was truly awful on the NHS question - asked about the current crisis and backlog, people with potentially life-threatening cancer diagnoses having to wait well beyond the target times for referrals, people with heart attacks waiting five hours for an ambulance - she started talking about her own chipped tooth. Honestly! No PM could ever live down such self-obsessed blindness to others' serious health concerns.
  • Options

In a way Tugendhat ought to win because he wasn't really trying to offer red meat to the base but talking to the country.

Setting himself up as the 'I tried telling my party but they wouldn't listen' figure for the next few years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,086
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

I agree. I felt he is stupid. Just stupid. Why am I even bothering to sugar the pill? He's DIM

I know his type and he's like Ben Wallace. Fucking stupid if above average - IQ about 120 - but due to posh class status they over-estimate themselves by an order of magnitude. I often wonder if Cameron was the same

Yes but posh, patrician but not super bright PMs are often reasonably good eg Macmillan, Blair and Cameron, arguably Attlee and Churchill.

The most intelligent PM we have had in the last 40 years was probably the non posh Gordon Brown which says it all

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

My understanding is that there was no decline in hat wearing until into the 1930s, well after Spanish Flu. The most common reason I have seen given is because of the growth in the use of cars - and particularly covered cars which both removed some of the necessity for wearing a hat and also made it less practical. Though hat wearing was still the norm in England until up to WW2.
  • Options

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

For most men the tie could be the only thing of any colour that they wear in smart dress. It would be a retrograde to get rid of it, unless bright colours for suits were to become the norm.
    I'd be down for that. When I used to work at a suit retailer as a student we did a "fashion show" once a quarter where the staff ordered formal hire and wore it to work for a week. Most people went for kilts. I picked the loudest green suit, top hat and shirt I could find, plus a cane and spats. I got all the commission that week.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,385
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

No, they weren't. Cameron and Clegg are posh service industry versions of the soldiers, Brown is ASD and asocial

The only genuinely super-smart PMs of the modern era are the most successful - Churchill, Thatcher, Blair. The great tragedy of Boris is that he could have been one of those. But his flaws are too great

By super smart I mean combining genuinely hefty intellect with brilliant social antennae: knowing what the people want

We can see the same pattern in America, post war it is Clinton and Reagan and possibly Ike and Obama (but not quite)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

I speak for the nation and took part in this poll and called it for Tom, then Penny, then Rishi, then Badenoch in the distance, and Truss, oh dear.

The ERG have decided on a donkey then?

Truss out and the ERG a laughing stock for backing her (a REMAINER!!!) might not be a bad evening's work...

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,780
    MaxPB said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Does anyone think Truss could be next out after that?

No. The hardcore ERG types have nowhere else to go.
    Kemi. She'll pick up a lot of those braverman votes and probably quite a few of the TT votes as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the final three becomes Kemi, Rishi and Penny and a final two of Rishi vs one of the other two.
    Hopefully you're right. Rishi v Kemi.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I like wearing a suit and tie, I feel more productive as I mentally switch into work mode. But the tie at least will not remain a ubiquitous part of business attire, I am sure.
    Earlier this year I was setting up a now cancelled business project for a client. Myself and my chartered accountant colleague in a WeWork space in that London doing interviews. Fully suited and booted - I look and feel good in a suit.

But as he said to me, eyeing up all the youngsters in scruffs carrying £2k Macbooks, "we are dinosaurs"...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

No, they weren't. Cameron and Clegg are posh service industry versions of the soldiers, Brown is ASD and asocial

The only genuinely super-smart PMs of the modern era are the most successful - Churchill, Thatcher, Blair. The great tragedy of Boris is that he could have been one of those. But his flaws are too great

By super smart I mean combining genuinely hefty intellect with brilliant social antennae: knowing what the people want

We can see the same pattern in America, post war it is Clinton and Reagan and possibly Ike and Obama (but not quite)
    Churchill and Blair both went to posh public schools.

Thatcher is the only great non posh postwar PM.

FDR and Obama and Kennedy also had posh educations, as did Bush Snr
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    It would be something if the swivel eyed cohort move to Badenough. Creates a bit of interest in Monday's ballot to see if it happens.

P.S. Autocomplete suggested "move to Baden-Baden"!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    OnboardG1 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Business attire for my office is assorted outdoor casual. Scientists know how to dress. Mine is a shop coat and steelies because getting solder on your shirt is not ideal.
    Tbf most of my life is not In a suit, although I dress smarting for lectures etc. Def not for labs.
    Where some have a suit for weddings/funerals/job interviews, I have one for graduation...
  • Options
    A Boris Party could only work with Farage.
    Some kind of Brexit Defence Party. Nige do the organisation, BoZo the selling. They'd get funding and loads of pliant media.
    Not sure the two egos could work on that basis, mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Yes but posh, patrician but not super bright PMs are often reasonably good eg Macmillan, Blair and Cameron, arguably Attlee and Churchill.

The most intelligent PM we have had in the last 40 years was probably the non posh Gordon Brown which says it all

Fundamentally disagree. Brown did not have a single profound original thought, nor did he adopt such notably
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I disagree. Ties are the one of the few ways that men can show creativity and personality in their business attire. When I was at school wearing your own tie in the Sixth Form felt like a massive privilege. I wore one that used to belong to Menzies Campbell. Now there was a leader who knew his ties.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Project Homer? WTF!
  • Options

One of my favourite recent twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/badge_is_in/status/1548015267589935106?s=21&t=BQoBNGRUqmrCBo3cVs35jg
  • Options

Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

My understanding is that there was no decline in hat wearing until into the 1930s, well after Spanish Flu. The most common reason I have seen given is because of the growth in the use of cars - and particularly covered cars which both removed some of the necessity for wearing a hat and also made it less practical. Though hat wearing was still the norm in England until up to WW2.
    Rationing would have broken the chain of habit.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Only dodgy salesmen. Good salesmen don’t need a tie to be professional.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Dunno. There is a credible theory that Blair was a quite thick smarmbot, controlled by hyper intelligent players like Cherie, Campbell, Mandelson. Certianly Boris would have stayed in power if propped up by a team like that.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022
    stjohn said:

Leon said:

Prediction: it will be Mordaunt v Sunak in the final two, and Mordaunt will win, because the Tories don't want yet another posh banker type as PM, and Penny will remind them of Maggie

I think you are right about the final 2. But a GE is coming soon and I don't think PM4PM is PM material. She is not intellectually nimble enoughor on top of the issues , in my view.

The members will surely have an eye to who might win the next GE - not just who they prefer?
    The problem for Sunak is that being perceived as on top of his brief will count for nothing if he's also perceived as being out of touch. This is potentially Mordaunt's strong suit - being in touch.

They're both close to the job.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Fundamentally disagree. Brown did not have a single profound original thought, nor did he adopt such notably
    He did. In his earlier days, for instance.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Dunno. There is a credible theory that Blair was a quite thick smarmbot, controlled by hyper intelligent players like Cherie, Campbell, Mandelson. Certianly Boris would have stayed in power if propped up by a team like that.
    It worked for Reagan and Bush II electric boogaloo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

There was Wilson, mind going further back.
  • Options

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

So? Who needs colour? My colleague rocks a black three piece. They are uncomfortable and pointless.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Neither even did Thatcher, she took her ideas from intellectuals and think tanks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Posh public schools? Fetish? Lol^100
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Harold was the classic of that type though.
    4 of 5 elections won.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Wilson did some significant social reforms and kept out of Vietnam but managed the economy pretty poorly
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,780
    edited July 2022
    Someone on another politics forum just predicted that Tugendhat will one day be the LD foreign affairs spokesman. Lol.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I disagree. Ties are the one of the few ways that men can show creativity and personality in their business attire. When I was at school wearing your own tie in the Sixth Form felt like a massive privilege. I wore one that used to belong to Menzies Campbell. Now there was a leader who knew his ties.

So change business attire. Floral shirt. Yellow trousers.
    Ties are massively uncomfortable. And extremely sexist.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103

Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Weren't hats pretty widespread in the 1960s ?

James Bond wore a hat in the first few films.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

So? Who needs colour? My colleague rocks a black three piece. They are uncomfortable and pointless.
    You must either work in a funeral directors or a Masonic temple.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Neither even did Thatcher, she took her ideas from intellectuals and think tanks
    I find this comment very surprising but also very welcome.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Someone on another politics forum just predicted that Tugendhat will one day be the LD foreign affairs spokesman. Lol.

Wait- there’s another politics forum?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    kle4 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I can't stand wearing a suit. Indoor temperatures are too hot for a jacket at any time of year and I just end up a sweaty state.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I'd be down for that. When I used to work at a suit retailer as a student we did a "fashion show" once a quarter where the staff ordered formal hire and wore it to work for a week. Most people went for kilts. I picked the loudest green suit, top hat and shirt I could find, plus a cane and spats. I got all the commission that week.
    Did you get slated by your colleagues?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Stereodog said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Or go the other way, wear nothing but a tie and show creativity and personality that way.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Wait- there’s another politics forum?
    You mean this is not the entire internet?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,652
    Is there a recording of this debate somewhere?
  • Options

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Yes. Ties are starting to look... spivvy. Trying rather too hard. I wonder if a tie is- as others here say - going the same way spats eventually betokened gangsters?

I believe it is. Ties are doomed and will end up like cravats or cummerbunds or tails or deeply significant hats, an affectation for splendid events, showing commitment to the moment

That said, men could usefully bring back waistcoats. They are sexy and flattering, and they befit a warmed climate, when a jacket is too much (cf the gilet)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,701
    Has PB ever been so united as is it tonight over Liz Truss?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Is there a recording of this debate somewhere?

Yes. In Liz Truss's nightmares tonight.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I can't stand wearing a suit. Indoor temperatures are too hot for a jacket at any time of year and I just end up a sweaty state.
    I go for a three piece and go jacketless at hottest moments. I perhaps futilely believe it looks suitably formal as a result if you have a waistcoat even without a jacket.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Wilson did some significant social reforms and kept out of Vietnam but managed the economy pretty poorly
    Massive advances in standard of living for your average punter between 64 and 77.
    TV, telephone, central heating, washing machines, cars, double glazing, even indoor toilets became the norm, not the exception.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

4 of 5 elections won.
    I wonder if Wilson was fortunate to be Labour leader while class based voting was still widespread but after class deference had declined so giving working class Labour a numbers advantage against middle class Conservatives during that era.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Women can wear ties. Joan Watson on Elementary did from time to time for some reason. And it looked silly, scratch that, you're right.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

You must either work in a funeral directors or a Masonic temple.
    No, he’s a ‘cool’ academic (architecture). It’s his look.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Yes. Ties are starting to look... spivvy. Trying rather too hard. I wonder if a tie is- as others here say - going the same way spats eventually betokened gangsters?

I believe it is. Ties are doomed and will end up like cravats or cummerbunds or tails or deeply significant hats, an affectation for splendid events, showing commitment to the moment

That said, men could usefully bring back waistcoats. They are sexy and flattering, and they befit a warmed climate, when a jacket is too much (cf the gilet)
    Waistcoats are only sexy and flattering on slim people, as are most clothes.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,701
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

That said, men could usefully bring back waistcoats. They are sexy and flattering, and
    they befit a warmed climate, when a jacket is
    too much (cf the gilet)
    When Japan abandoned them in the no-air-conditioning aftermath of the Fukushima disaster, that was the beginning of the end. I’d kept a drawer of ties for my trips to Germany and Japan. Once Japan crossed the rubicon I couldn’t be bothered in Germany anymore.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I go for a three piece and go jacketless at hottest moments. I perhaps futilely believe it looks suitably formal as a result if you have a waistcoat even without a jacket.
    Actually I think you are right on that, it does still stay more formal if you hav3 the waistcoat.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,652
    Did Dishi-Rishi say to Henny-Penny "Have you heard, the sky is falling in?" ?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,842

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

The tie is the most useless and irrelevant item of clothing known to mankind. It’s time it went the way of the hansom cab and the flintlock musket.
    For me, the purpose of a tie is to hide the flesh showing in the ever-increasing gaps between the shirt buttons.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    IanB2 said:

With my Labour hat on, I was most worried about Penny winning, and that spelling trouble for Labour.

I'm not worried any more. Very underwhelming, I thought, and would be out of her depth as PM.

Whereas Kemi Badenoch has demonstrated why she is a very real threat.
    You must be joking?

Kemi was truly awful on the NHS question - asked about the current crisis and backlog, people with potentially life-threatening cancer diagnoses having to wait well beyond the target times for referrals, people with heart attacks waiting five hours for an ambulance - she started talking about her own chipped tooth. Honestly! No PM could ever live down such self-obsessed blindness to others' serious health concerns.
    Don't think I agree re: Bad'enoch's "self-obsessed blindness" re: her tooth.

Bill Clinton was a master at using homey, seemingly mundane examples that resonated with voters precisely BECAUSE they were homey, mundane AND made a clear point.

In this case, her tooth represents more than just a tooth, but all the stuff you'e just mentioned.

PLUS it explains her less-than-stellar mouthful?

Though still the "lie" issue. But only IF that get's picked up AND has some traction.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    MikeL said:

You do have to wonder how Truss became the standard bearer of the right.

Presumably just because Boris made her Foreign Secretary.

You would have thought someone would have stopped and asked if she was the best they could find.

who says she isn't?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Posh public schools? Fetish? Lol^100
    What really worries me is what sort of fetish is here exhibited by the patient.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

For me, the purpose of a tie is to hide the flesh showing in the ever-increasing gaps between the shirt buttons.
    And hide the coffee stains.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

4 of 5 elections won.
    I wonder if Wilson was fortunate to be Labour leader while class based voting was still widespread but after class deference had declined so giving working class Labour a numbers advantage against middle class Conservatives during that era.
    That's very possible.
    But my point was more that he's the most intellectual PM we've had in living memory. Whilst coming across as an ordinary bloke.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Or go the other way, wear nothing but a tie and show creativity and personality that way.
    With the potential temps on Tuesday and more graduation. I have threatened just a pair of shorts under the robes. Would probably get me the sack though, at leas5 from the position of Marshal...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

Massive advances in standard of living for your average punter between 64 and 77.
    TV, telephone, central heating, washing machines, cars, double glazing, even indoor toilets became the norm, not the exception.
    Also rising inflation, especially in his final term, strikes and an IMF bailout
  • Options

Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

The slim get all the breaks.
  • Options
    I did almost buy a green suit once, but chickened out. Some steps are too far.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

But wrong sort of advances of living. Not Tory approved.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

I think suits look better as a 3-piece
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Tres said:

Stereodog said:

OnboardG1 said:

IshmaelZ said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, good glassmanship

Disagree. A really fat man in a strained, button-popping shirt can instead look like a comforting, Dickensian character if he's in a waistcoat as well. Complete with fob watch

Formal but jolly. Not sexy, sure, but comforting

Note that period dramas nearly always have waistcoats on the men. Why? Because women really like them. It's the same reason male bar staff are often told to wear them. I have friends in the industry and I swear this is true
  • Options
    Waistcoats are ace.
    Ties make you look slimmer. I don't need that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

I once bought a very nice brown suit which under the right lighting looked red, which I only realised after buying the suit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The problem being you still care what others think. You’ll get there.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    ·
    1h
    Among Tory 2019 voters it was a neck and neck between Tugendhat and Sunak.

However, among Conservative swing voters (who will decide whether the Tories hold their majority at the next election) the results were:
    Tugendhat 33%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 14%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 6%
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,661
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Maybe it's nostalgia.

We don't know the IQs of these PMs and IQ is complex and variable depending on how and what you are measuring and it doesn't really have a proper definition. Most tests (if any) don't cover multi tasking which is essential for a PM. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those on your not super bright are actually rather good.

As for @leon how many times do you have to tell us you are cleverer than the rest of us. You protest to much. I suspect you are concerned it just isn't true.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Tom TIT wins the ITV News edit with "no".
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Brown was/is an intellectual.
    However he lost (maybe never had) the knack for retail politics and was plagued with self-doubt.

If Mordaunt, for example, became PM, she would certainly be the thickest PM in living memory.

They have all tended to be above average IQ, if not necessarily “intellectual”.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    TimS said:

Has PB ever been so united as is it tonight over Liz Truss?

Even pineapple on pizza has not brought such agreement
  • Options

And on Radio 4 too.
    It was a no-brainer answer really.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    stjohn said:

Leon said:

Surprisingly my order matched the order in the poll. Just the first two reversed. Sunak was so much the commanding figure the others looked various degrees of amateur. Like the poll after Sunak and Tom Tug the other three became no hopers.

The Tories are strange folk as the ERG have shown but when their meal ticket's at stake they'll know there's only one show in town.

Sunak's got it sewn up
  • Options

Out in the country, that one word straight answer smashed it out of the park.

Watch Tory MPs follow the Daily Mail route and denounce Tom Major as a traitor.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,297

I speak for the nation and took part in this poll and called it for Tom, then Penny, then Rishi, then Badenoch in the distance, and Truss, oh dear.

Sunak in a different league imo despite the derivative Blairisms. Easily the best performer on both style and substance. It was like a lead singer with his backing band. If I had a vote that's where it would go and it wouldn't be a tough choice.

Mordaunt seems vacant. Tug is a bit stodgy. Badenoch is miles from PM material. Truss is just bad on every level. Poundshop Maggie is too kind.

But all 5 would be fabulous PMs compared to the last bloke. This was my main feeling watching the debate. Sheer joy and relief that Boris Johnson is history. It's been a few days now but the heart remains cockled that he's gone.

How on earth did the Tories ever think it was ok to foist that man on the country? This is the question they'll be hoping doesn't occur to the electorate come the time. I hope it will.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    ·
    1h
    Among Tory 2019 voters it was a neck and neck between Tugendhat and Sunak.

However, among Conservative swing voters (who will decide whether the Tories hold their majority at the next election) the results were:
    Tugendhat 33%
    Sunak 28%
    Mordaunt 14%
    Badenoch 12%
    Truss 6%

I can't see Tugendhat going down particularly well in the Red Wall for now, although I think he's definitely a Tory prospect for the future. Penny can reach out to those kinds of constituencies, and Rishi may be able to charm them Blair-style.
This discussion has been closed.