Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Snap debate poll gives it to Tugendhat – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    He was a figure of fun at the Union, no one took him seriously so you certainly weren't alone.

MrEd said:

I was at Oxford when he was there and there was much gloating when he got a Third. Now, my memory might be shite but are you sure that's correct?

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

You seriously had to f**k it up in the interview not to be offered a place given that acceptance rate and, as you say, Boris probably had a certain charm.

Hell, Trinity thought JRM was acceptable and they are supposed to be one of the better colleges. He only got a Third.

MrEd said:

Re Boris, when he went to Oxford, it was quite a well known path that, if you weren't that bright but you did want to go to Oxford, you'd apply for Classics(or Literae Humaniores as they called it). There was an 80pc acceptance rate when BJ did it and, if you had any vague knowledge of Ancient Greek, you were in.

Hence, barely scrapping a second doesn't surprise me. I don't think it's a case of "bright but never did any work", more of a case of "not that bright (and never did any work)".

kle4 said:

I don’t think Boris is “extremely intelligent”.
    He is naturally gifted, but lazy, and I think his curiosity about the world ended approx age 18.

He only scraped a second in Classics.

I doubt he is especially numerate, either

Why would he need to be, other people should pay for his stuff and he doesn't even bother to be curious about who is doing so.

Being incurious about finance did help him out a bit though when Livingstone seemingly presumed Boris fiddled his taxes.
    I can believe that Boris probably did perfectly well in the interview as well. Confident bluffing and memorable. It is only when you get past that initial interaction you then go hold on a sec. Just like his turns doing after dinner speaking or his Telegraph columns, not thinking too hard, people will say that was entertaining, with some funny lines and a good tale, it only when people go hold on that claim he made, is that really true....you find he pulled it out his arse or didn't understand the some nuance around the actual facts.
    Mogg got a 2.1 in history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Rees-Mogg
    That's my memory too.

I recall him well from the Oxford Union. Pretty much every time he stood up there was a collective groan from the cheap seats (including me).

As a distinctly naive grammar school boy, I had never seen such a creature before.

I'm glad that he seems as odd to everyone else now as he did to me then.

On the other side of the coin, there were quite a few others from that time that have turned up in front line politics and they were all pretty much instantly forgettable.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022

I am gonna trust the memories of PB posters more than a biography by Michael Ashcroft.

There is a direct quote from his tutor, Bryan Ward-Perkins.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    MrEd said:

I can imagine you in your palatial Seattle mansion enjoying your Trollope(s), @SeaShantyIrish2

rcs1000 said:

Gordon Brown’s idea of a bedtime read was to snuggle up with “Varieties of Capitalism” by Hall, Soskice (OUP, 2001).

I’m pretty sure Thatcher too actually “read and understood” (a la Jackie Weaver), Hayek, Friedman et al. Not to mention Isaiah Berlin. She probably liked the idea of Oakeshott, but couldn’t be bothered reading all the way through.

I suspect Blair was more of a New Statesman Op Ed and bios of Bill Gates type character.

Cameron was very middle-brow in his cultural consumption, as far as I can tell.

Gladstone read Trollope most afternoons iirc.

I thought he tried to save trollops most afternoons.
    Macmillan always said, after a long hard day, no greater pleasure than enjoying a good Trollop in bed.
    As well you might! As for myself, I could not possibly comment.

Except so say I'm touched you think so think so highly - AND lowly - of yours truly!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

The other thing is that Sunak is a teetotaller.

Is Britain ready for someone like that?
    I don’t think so.

Is that a serious question? We're bound to have had at least one teetotaller in the past, and even if people would think it unusual, how many people are ever going to know?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    edited July 2022
    JohnO said:

I don’t think so.

Jim Callaghan was teetotal in his Premiership.
    Trump too. I don't think people care about this personal stuff - just look at the diversity of the current Tory line up.
  • Options
    Definitely highly, not lowly, sea shanty - with a touch of jealousy :)

MrEd said:

I can imagine you in your palatial Seattle mansion enjoying your Trollope(s), @SeaShantyIrish2

rcs1000 said:

Gordon Brown’s idea of a bedtime read was to snuggle up with “Varieties of Capitalism” by Hall, Soskice (OUP, 2001).

I’m pretty sure Thatcher too actually “read and understood” (a la Jackie Weaver), Hayek, Friedman et al. Not to mention Isaiah Berlin. She probably liked the idea of Oakeshott, but couldn’t be bothered reading all the way through.

I suspect Blair was more of a New Statesman Op Ed and bios of Bill Gates type character.

Cameron was very middle-brow in his cultural consumption, as far as I can tell.

Gladstone read Trollope most afternoons iirc.

I thought he tried to save trollops most afternoons.
    Macmillan always said, after a long hard day, no greater pleasure than enjoying a good Trollop in bed.
    As well you might! As for myself, I could not possibly comment.

Except so say I'm touched you think so think so highly - AND lowly - of yours truly!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Seems the Mo Farah story might be more complicated than initially portrayed. Seems everybody involved is actually related.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11018529/temp.html
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited July 2022
    I haven’t seen the debate, although I just watched a very small clip online.

Sunak seems to be congratulated on here for rebutting Truss with “there’s no such thing as Covid debt, there’s just debt”.

In my view this is untrue and shows why he is not a good CoE.

Covid was clearly a one-off and the idea you should, in response, cut either capital investment or suppress economic activity via deflationary fiscal measures is just wrong.

Covid debt is the very definition of something you want to take time paying back, it’s not the same as debt accrued by an overrun in current expenditure.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don’t think so.

Is that a serious question? We're bound to have had at least one teetotaller in the past, and even if people would think it unusual, how many people are ever going to know?
    Like many of my posts, it was only half-serious.

Personally, though. I am highly suspicious of teetotallers.
  • Options

Seems the Mo Farah story might be more complicated than initially portrayed. Seems everybody involved is actually related.

I'd assumed that was a given.
  • Options
    I had missed that apparently only one Tory MP failed to vote in the first round of the leadership contest, because they arrived too late. And that incompetent MP? Gavin Williamson.

Wiki says there were 2 abstentions in the second round, goodness knows who those were.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don’t think so.

We're just boring, nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Brown was at university at age 16. He's a smart guy for sure.
  • Options

Yes, he is smart but, also in Scotland, at least at that time, you could go to university at 16 due to their exam system. Someone in our college was in the same situation. She was smart but she definitely wasn't knock-out genius
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779

True. He always said he regretted going there so young though.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,127
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

AlistairM said:

Brown was/is an intellectual.
    However he lost (maybe never had) the knack for retail politics and was plagued with self-doubt.

If Mordaunt, for example, became PM, she would certainly be the thickest PM in living memory.

They have all tended to be above average IQ, if not necessarily “intellectual”.

Mordaunt is clearly both brighter and more intellectually and emotionally flexible than May, I would say.
    Emotionally flexible, sure, but not smarter, I’d say.

I suspect in terms of pure intellect, it goes.

1. Brown
    2. Thatcher
    3. Blair
    4. Boris
    5. Cameron / May / Major

Where is the evidence for Brown's great intellect?
    He got a PhD, which requires some intellect… although sometimes I think it as much requires stubbornness!

He took forever to complete it (in fact he would now be kicked out of most PhD programmes these days for taking too long. Nobody will give you 10 years to complete at a good institution now) and it was the history of the Labour Party for a select few years...not at all impressive really.
    He was doing it part-time. I have a good colleague who took that long. I had a student who took that long, and turned the work into a very successful business afterwards. If you don’t have some intellectual ability, no amount of time will be enough for a PhD. It still usually demonstrates some ability.

PhDs are generally on very specific topics. That’s academia.

I’ve not read Brown’s PhD. I don’t know what it was like. PhDs are funny things and I’ve seen some crappy ones get passed, so I’m not saying this is slam dunk evidence.

I've found Brown's PhD dissertation online. Skimming through it, it reads like 500 pages of HYUFD.

https://era.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/7136

I literally almost fell asleep reading that.
    Guys, it is a PhD dissertation not Dan Brown!
    Still better than any Dan Brown I've ever read
    Actually that's true. Dan Brown is such a bad writer.
    Maybe so, but he can entertain. I like to put his books next to some much more worthy books on the shelf so people do a double take when they see Deception Point next to Crime and Punishment.
    Really? I read the De Vinci Code and was slack jawed in disbelief at how bad it was. It didn't even reach the so bad it's good threshold of eg Louise Bagshawe. It was just utterly shit.
  • Options

I don’t think so.

Can't see it being important.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902

I'm not sure going to university at 16 is very smart at all.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

Pedant point: Isn't Rishi better described as a midget than a dwarf? (Although dwarf seems to be more insulting than midget.)

He's only a couple of inches shorter than average.
    He’s a fucking midget.
    He shops at Gap for Kids.
    The heightism against Rishi, one of the last acceptable prejudices, almost makes me want to support him compared to the other candidates.

But not quite, though. Too smooth by half.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Andy_JS said:

Pedant point: Isn't Rishi better described as a midget than a dwarf? (Although dwarf seems to be more insulting than midget.)

He’s a fucking midget.
    The heightism against Rishi, one of the last acceptable prejudices, almost makes me want to support him compared to the other candidates.

That kind of joke diminishes us all
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

AlistairM said:

Brown was/is an intellectual.
    However he lost (maybe never had) the knack for retail politics and was plagued with self-doubt.

If Mordaunt, for example, became PM, she would certainly be the thickest PM in living memory.

They have all tended to be above average IQ, if not necessarily “intellectual”.

Mordaunt is clearly both brighter and more intellectually and emotionally flexible than May, I would say.
    Emotionally flexible, sure, but not smarter, I’d say.

I suspect in terms of pure intellect, it goes.

1. Brown
    2. Thatcher
    3. Blair
    4. Boris
    5. Cameron / May / Major

Where is the evidence for Brown's great intellect?
    He got a PhD, which requires some intellect… although sometimes I think it as much requires stubbornness!

He took forever to complete it (in fact he would now be kicked out of most PhD programmes these days for taking too long. Nobody will give you 10 years to complete at a good institution now) and it was the history of the Labour Party for a select few years...not at all impressive really.
    He was doing it part-time. I have a good colleague who took that long. I had a student who took that long, and turned the work into a very successful business afterwards. If you don’t have some intellectual ability, no amount of time will be enough for a PhD. It still usually demonstrates some ability.

PhDs are generally on very specific topics. That’s academia.

I’ve not read Brown’s PhD. I don’t know what it was like. PhDs are funny things and I’ve seen some crappy ones get passed, so I’m not saying this is slam dunk evidence.

I've found Brown's PhD dissertation online. Skimming through it, it reads like 500 pages of HYUFD.

https://era.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/7136

I literally almost fell asleep reading that.
    Guys, it is a PhD dissertation not Dan Brown!
    Still better than any Dan Brown I've ever read
    Actually that's true. Dan Brown is such a bad writer.
    Maybe so, but he can entertain. I like to put his books next to some much more worthy books on the shelf so people do a double take when they see Deception Point next to Crime and Punishment.
    Really? I read the De Vinci Code and was slack jawed in disbelief at how bad it was. It didn't even reach the so bad it's good threshold of eg Louise Bagshawe. It was just utterly shit.
    An unpopular opinion I know (albeit for an incredibly popular, or at least well selling, book). I do think it was so bad its good. Angels and Demons too (The Lost Symbol was not). Often they are unintentionally hilarious (Particularly ones following Inferno which seem to ignore its ending, IIRC). There's a place for such airport novels.

Edit: I did read one Tom Knox novel. Meh.

John Oliver did a 8 minute rant about the Da VInci Code, which described it as a novel about 'solving art crimes hornily', which was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

He’s a fucking midget.

That kind of joke diminishes us all
    Which it would ofcourse, if it was a joke.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd assumed that was a given.
    I do hope he's not getting his story in first before any other stories about him appear.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

kle4 said:

I don’t think so.

At least he’s familiar with the size of a pint.

• Options
    "Adam Afriyie
    @AdamAfriyie

I’ve come to the conclusion that it has to be Kemi for PM. I say that as someone who believes in enterprise, low tax, free speech & putting our country first. She represents a new era for our country & Party. #KemiForPM
    @kemibadenoch
    #C4LeaderDebate

9:31 PM · Jul 15, 2022"

https://twitter.com/AdamAfriyie/status/1548042711227240450
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

He was a figure of fun at the Union, no one took him seriously so you certainly weren't alone.

MrEd said:

I was at Oxford when he was there and there was much gloating when he got a Third. Now, my memory might be shite but are you sure that's correct?

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

You seriously had to f**k it up in the interview not to be offered a place given that acceptance rate and, as you say, Boris probably had a certain charm.

Hell, Trinity thought JRM was acceptable and they are supposed to be one of the better colleges. He only got a Third.

MrEd said:

Re Boris, when he went to Oxford, it was quite a well known path that, if you weren't that bright but you did want to go to Oxford, you'd apply for Classics(or Literae Humaniores as they called it). There was an 80pc acceptance rate when BJ did it and, if you had any vague knowledge of Ancient Greek, you were in.

Hence, barely scrapping a second doesn't surprise me. I don't think it's a case of "bright but never did any work", more of a case of "not that bright (and never did any work)".

kle4 said:

He is naturally gifted, but lazy, and I think his curiosity about the world ended approx age 18.

Why would he need to be, other people should pay for his stuff and he doesn't even bother to be curious about who is doing so.

Being incurious about finance did help him out a bit though when Livingstone seemingly presumed Boris fiddled his taxes.
    I can believe that Boris probably did perfectly well in the interview as well. Confident bluffing and memorable. It is only when you get past that initial interaction you then go hold on a sec. Just like his turns doing after dinner speaking or his Telegraph columns, not thinking too hard, people will say that was entertaining, with some funny lines and a good tale, it only when people go hold on that claim he made, is that really true....you find he pulled it out his arse or didn't understand the some nuance around the actual facts.

That's my memory too.

I recall him well from the Oxford Union. Pretty much every time he stood up there was a collective groan from the cheap seats (including me).

As a distinctly naive grammar school boy, I had never seen such a creature before.

I'm glad that he seems as odd to everyone else now as he did to me then.

On the other side of the coin, there were quite a few others from that time that have turned up in front line politics and they were all pretty much instantly forgettable.
    This tallies with a relative's memories of JRM at Oxford, that I've mentioned previously. Somethng of a circus act well-known around town, and a common talking point students would enjoy gawping at whenever they saw. An interestingly curious part of the architecture.
  • Options
    Extraordinary that somewhere as far north as Sheffield is forecast to be 40C on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Extraordinary that somewhere as far north as Sheffield is forecast to be 40C on Monday.

The Met Office website currently says London 35 , for Monday at least. I hope the BBC are just doing a bit of public service arse-covering, as some of our more Tory friends here might say.
  • Options
    Just sat through a very long YouGov survey about whether painting tennis courts a different colour would make them more inclusive and appealing (?), but at the end there was a further one about supporting or opposing Boris serving in a Cabinet position after he has stepped down as PM.

What to say, what to say.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Just sat through a very long YouGov survey about whether painting tennis courts a different colour would make them more inclusive and appealing (?), but at the end there was a further one about supporting or opposing Boris serving in a Cabinet position after he has stepped down as PM.

Earlier we learned parking meters are racist, now tennis court colours are exclusionary.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

The Met Office website currently says London 35 , for Monday at least. I hope the BBC are just doing a bit of public service arse-covering, as some of our more Tory friends here might say.
    Its a bit weird, because we have people from the same MET office doing videos and media talking about 40.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That tennis thing is the weirdist thing I've ever heard.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

His Wikipedia page contains at least one glaring error:

It says "After graduating from the University of Oxford in 1991, Rees-Mogg worked for the Rothschild investment bank under Nils Taube before moving to Hong Kong in 1993[41] to join Lloyd George Management."

Well... I worked for Nils Taube, and I can tell you that he did not work at any time for "Rothschild investment bank".

The firm was called J Rothschild Investment Management (JRIM) - later Taube Hodson Stonex Partners - and was not in any way associated with NM Rothschild the investment bank.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

The Met Office website currently says London 35 on Monday. I hope the BBC are doing a bit of public service arse-covering, as some of our Tory friends here might say.
    The Met Office's own high resolution model - which at this timescale is the one to watch - still has 41C as the max on Tuesday, after 40C on Monday. The zone of maximum heat appears to be the Vale of York and the Humberhead Levels, which is coincidentally what I would refer to as the Flatlands. I have a weather station at 1m altitude right in the middle which if it was an official station would probably a prime site to record the highest temperature.

My guess is that Cawood near Selby (aka Stockbridge Technology Centre, an agricultural research station) will record the highest official temperature, but it is only a guess.

The extreme heat will be swept away on Tuesday but whilst everyone is staring at the models for this coming week, the Met Office long range model has sneaked in a repeat in the following week. I don't believe it will be quite as hot but this spell of weather will not end on Wednesday.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

It says "After graduating from the University of Oxford in 1991, Rees-Mogg worked for the Rothschild investment bank under Nils Taube before moving to Hong Kong in 1993[41] to join Lloyd George Management."

Well... I worked for Nils Taube, and I can tell you that he did not work at any time for "Rothschild investment bank".

The firm was called J Rothschild Investment Management (JRIM) - later Taube Hodson Stonex Partners - and was not in any way associated with NM Rothschild the investment bank.
    Perhaps he cleaned the toilets in the middle of the night when you weren't there....
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

JohnO said:

I don’t think so.

Trump too. I don't think people care about this personal stuff - just look at the diversity of the current Tory line up.
    Obama didn't drink either.

Teetotallers and lefties are hugely overrepresented among US Presidents.
  • Options

When somebody says "I am the victim of a witchhunt," are they not admitting that they are - in fact - a witch?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

JohnO said:

I don’t think so.

Huh....

Continue smoking cessation efforts, a daily exercise program, healthy diet, moderation in alcohol intake,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/mar/01/barack-obama-smoking-alcohol-moderation
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps he cleaned the toilets in the middle of the night when you weren't there....
    No, he did work - very briefly - for J Rothschild Investment Mangement. He just had nothing (and nor did Nils) have anything to do with "Rothschild Investment Bank" - aka NM Rothschild.
  • Options

I'm not sure going to university at 16 is very smart at all.
    I went to Cambridge at 16.

Not, to study, mind. Just for a brief visit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

JohnO said:

I don’t think so.

Huh....

Continue smoking cessation efforts, a daily exercise program, healthy diet, moderation in alcohol intake,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/mar/01/barack-obama-smoking-alcohol-moderation
    I'm sorry, I was confused.

In order

Biden - teetotal
    Trump - teetotal
    Obama - not teetotal
    George W Bush - teetotal
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

JohnO said:

I don’t think so.

Huh....

I'm sorry, I was confused.

In order

Biden - teetotal
    Trump - teetotal
    Obama - not teetotal
    George W Bush - teetotal
    I rest my case.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I had missed that apparently only one Tory MP failed to vote in the first round of the leadership contest, because they arrived too late. And that incompetent MP? Gavin Williamson.

Wiki says there were 2 abstentions in the second round, goodness knows who those were.

Had assumed one was Boris. Either out of tradition OR (more likely) judging himself irreplaceable.
  • Options
    Quiz question (no Googling!):

Which Asian nation (and when) was the first to progress from the group stages of the football* World Cup?

* Soccer
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    North Korea 1966 ?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    rcs1000 said:

When somebody says "I am the victim of a witchhunt," are they not admitting that they are - in fact - a witch?
    They should say "I am the victim of a witchhunt gone horribly wrong"
  • Options
    UKers you are NOT alone. Forecast high temperature next Tuesday in Oklahoma City = 109F/43C
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

You mean - he was Hong Kong Phooey???

"Could be......."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

kle4 said:

I don’t think so.

Not half as suspicious as we teetotallers are of pissheads....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Andy_JS said:

The Met Office website currently says London 35 on Monday. I hope the BBC are doing a bit of public service arse-covering, as some of our Tory friends here might say.
    The Met Office's own high resolution model - which at this timescale is the one to watch - still has 41C as the max on Tuesday, after 40C on Monday. The zone of maximum heat appears to be the Vale of York and the Humberhead Levels, which is coincidentally what I would refer to as the Flatlands. I have a weather station at 1m altitude right in the middle which if it was an official station would probably a prime site to record the highest temperature.

My guess is that Cawood near Selby (aka Stockbridge Technology Centre, an agricultural research station) will record the highest official temperature, but it is only a guess.

The extreme heat will be swept away on Tuesday but whilst everyone is staring at the models for this coming week, the Met Office long range model has sneaked in a repeat in the following week. I don't believe it will be quite as hot but this spell of weather will not end on Wednesday.
    Put my postcode into their model - high of 41 and "feels like" 46 !!!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited July 2022

Betfair next pm:-

2.2 Penny Mordaunt 45%
    3.55 Rishi Sunak 28%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    38 Kemi Badenoch
    50 Tom Tugendhat
    240 Dominic Raab

2.2 Penny Mordaunt 45%
    3.3 Rishi Sunak 30%
    4.6 Liz Truss 22%
    34 Kemi Badenoch
    55 Tom Tugendhat
    240 Dominic Raab

2.14 Penny Mordaunt 47%
    3 Rishi Sunak 33%
    6.4 Liz Truss 16%
    34 Kemi Badenoch
    60 Tom Tugendhat
    270 Dominic Raab

Betfair to make the final two:-

1.13 Rishi Sunak 88%
    1.38 Penny Mordaunt 72%
    2.74 Liz Truss 36%
    17 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    32 Tom Tugendhat
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

I believe the correct PC term is People of Restricted Growth (PORGs).....

Or, on a cruise ship, Friends of Snow White?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    New thread.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,452

I haven’t seen the debate, although I just watched a very small clip online.

Sunak seems to be congratulated on here for rebutting Truss with “there’s no such thing as Covid debt, there’s just debt”.

In my view this is untrue and shows why he is not a good CoE.

Covid was clearly a one-off and the idea you should, in response, cut either capital investment or suppress economic activity via deflationary fiscal measures is just wrong.

Covid debt is the very definition of something you want to take time paying back, it’s not the same as debt accrued by an overrun in current expenditure.

I thought exactly that.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Just shows how out of touch the Right wing, MP's and Press , are with the average voter.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    IshmaelZ said:

This may not be a Tuggasm, but it's not the furthest thing in the world from it

Similarly empty and confected.
This discussion has been closed.