Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s opposition to Sunak could have the reverse effect – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited July 2022 in General
imageJohnson’s opposition to Sunak could have the reverse effect – politicalbetting.com

According to the Times Johnson is trying to stop Sunak from replacing him and is telling those who have been defeated in the race to support anybody else. This is from the report:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    It probably won't make any difference. Someone who takes Mr Johnson's advice and votes anyone but Sunak, would probably have voted anyone but Sunak anyway.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited July 2022
    FPT:
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

All those scoffing at possible very high temperatures now look quite foolish, perhaps

BBC predicting 40C on Monday in places

Who has been scoffing? I have pointed out, correctly, uncertainty in modelling. And a reminder, it hasn’t happened yet. No question it will be hot, and quite possibly see the U.K. record go. Will be very short lived heat though.
    Yes, some dude on Netweather says Liverpool might go from ~40C to ~20C in three hours

And nothing is nailed on. A bit of cloud or a sudden storm and it’s just a major heat blast not an all time record

I’d say the chances of 40C somewhere are 30% and the chances of breaking the record 50%
    How is a wild guess any the more convincing by making up some percentages and putting them underneath?

Unless any of us have expertise in medium range meteorology, all we can do is assess the range of forecasts being made. Scouring the internet for the absolutely highest possible forecast you can find probably isn't the most reliable method of assessment, however.
    Because those aren’t the absolute highest possible forecasts, I’m afraid, and because I’m good at speed of reasoning, and you’re not. A fact which seems to annoy you, existentially.

Speed reasoning lol. You just made up numbers.
    You have a go

What are the chances, Sunday-Wednesday, of

1. The all time UK high temp record going

2. Somewhere in the UK exceeding 40C

50% chance of the 38.7°C UK record being broken. 10% chance of 40°C imo.
    We agree, nearly. I have a higher chance of 40C - 30%
    So long as we don't opt for 0% or 100% we cannot be proved wrong!

(Of course the 'crisis' is diminishing - yesterday you said: "43C across central England. Breaking the record by 5 degrees. Like a Bob Beamon jump in climate")

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited July 2022
    So who’s the continuity Johnson candidate? Or is Johnsonism history already?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    edited July 2022
    I agree with Mike. One of Sunak's greatest weaknesses was that he did not offer as clean a break from the morass that the Boris government became as the other candidates, Penny in particular. By ostracising him and making clear that he is not continuity Boris in any way he is doing Rishi a favour.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    The Oaf is yesterday’s news.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347
    Does kind of make me want Sunak to win now, as it is a stain on the country this appalling human being has had major influence over politics. The idea he gets to cast a shadow over who should succeed him is dismal. Though if he wants to torpedo the Tory Party for the next decade while working out his transparently psychopathic tendencies, I'm quite relaxed about that as it means we might actually get a government worthy of the name rather than the parade of clowns we've had over the last decade.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    Jonathan said:

Apparently the hot weather is due to Aliens using AI

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

The bottom line is that any new Tory leader has to deal with the Tory right. You either have to win their support or dominate them. Note that Boris succeeded because he simultaneously did both. May was crushed by them. Arguably Cameron too.

Mourdant or Sunak will be battling them throughout their Premierships. Do they have the strength to overcome them? That’s not clear today, but what is obvious is that they have no choice now but to take them on.

The truly insane thing is that both Sunak and Mordaunt are of the right, and clearly so. The other wing of Centrist One Nation Tories has long been purged.
    The one consistent aspect of this contest is that the Tories are swinging to the right. It’s just a question of how far. Cameronism is loooong dead. Today it’s all about tax cuts and scapegoats.
    That is not a correct reading of Mordaunt.

There's a reason Labour fear her. And it is not because she is a one-size-fits-all right wing loon.
    I don’t think Labour should fear her. She is an empty vessel and it looks like her own party will do for her.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

The bottom line is that any new Tory leader has to deal with the Tory right. You either have to win their support or dominate them. Note that Boris succeeded because he simultaneously did both. May was crushed by them. Arguably Cameron too.

Mourdant or Sunak will be battling them throughout their Premierships. Do they have the strength to overcome them? That’s not clear today, but what is obvious is that they have no choice now but to take them on.

The truly insane thing is that both Sunak and Mordaunt are of the right, and clearly so. The other wing of Centrist One Nation Tories has long been purged.
    The one consistent aspect of this contest is that the Tories are swinging to the right. It’s just a question of how far. Cameronism is loooong dead. Today it’s all about tax cuts and scapegoats.

There's a reason Labour fear her. And it is not because she is a one-size-fits-all right wing loon.
    I don’t think Labour should fear her. She is an empty vessel and it looks like her own party will do for her.
    I still think that she is the best chance of Tories maintaining a majority. In order of probability of winning the next GE, I would put:

Mordaunt
    Sunak
    Tugenhadt
    Truss
    Badenoch

With Mordaunt the only one above the waterline of a majority.
    I think you’re wrong. Politics is about timing. There would have been moments when a Mourdaunt premiership would have been something to worry about, but now is not that moment. [snip]
    Isn't a Mordaunt Moment something you find in a box of Milk Tray?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Who?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    In 1990 despite being ousted it was Thatcher's support for John Major that beat Heseltine.

In this race Sunak would be Heseltine to Mordaunt's Major, with Truss basically now Norman Tebbit in a skirt
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The temperatures seem to drop pretty quickly on Tuesday. Are we going to get some major thunderstorms? The one in August 2020 in Edinburgh was extraordinary.

Definitely some COBR related work going on now. Lots of worry about drownings- @Big_G_NorthWales relative (son?) will be busy.

Also a friend in Mountain Rescue is worried about Sunday in Scotland - heat stroke/exhaustion.

Doesn't need to be that hot to be a problem on our exposed hills in the UK. I ended up quite unwell trying to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks in July 2019.
    I was in Paris at the height of the 2003 heatwave. It was bloody hot, but we still managed our site seeing. The glass pyramid at the Louvre was like a greenhouse in full sun, but the sprinklers on in the green areas around the city were wonderful for the kids.

Hottest place that I have been was Darwin, building up to the rains. 40C and humid, with a budget that didn't stretch to AC.
    If it gets near 40C in London (quite likely now) I reckon we’ll see people jumping in the Thames. Which can be properly dangerous

Go on Boris. You love leading folk into hairbrained endeavours.
  • Options

Truss.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Truss. Shes supported by JRM and Dorries and the ERG.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    It was 38.5C in August 2003.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    I think it's going to be close.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

In 1990 despite being ousted it was Thatcher's support for John Major that beat Heseltine.

In this race Sunak would be Heseltine to Mordaunt's Major, with Truss basically now Norman Tebbit in a skirt

Try getting on yer bike in a skirt.
  • Options

I prefer the @MikeL (I think it was) theory: Johnson engineers Truss into PM, Truss is a disaster, VoNC in September 2023, Johnson comes riding over the hill on a white charger to save the Tories.

So ridiculous it might just play out.

Genuine thought - I don't think Johnson has given up on politics yet.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

An all-female shortlist? Very un-Tory.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I wouldn't be so sure. I'd want to see him out of the HoC.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Barnesian said:

You can try different percentages here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Po2HA9a7DDVi8tuTf-cV-wXdEhIjcCUg2fGqRcvl_cI/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: I've just given it editing privilege.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077

FPT:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

All those scoffing at possible very high temperatures now look quite foolish, perhaps

Who has been scoffing? I have pointed out, correctly, uncertainty in modelling. And a reminder, it hasn’t happened yet. No question it will be hot, and quite possibly see the U.K. record go. Will be very short lived heat though.
    Yes, some dude on Netweather says Liverpool might go from ~40C to ~20C in three hours

And nothing is nailed on. A bit of cloud or a sudden storm and it’s just a major heat blast not an all time record

I’d say the chances of 40C somewhere are 30% and the chances of breaking the record 50%
    How is a wild guess any the more convincing by making up some percentages and putting them underneath?

Unless any of us have expertise in medium range meteorology, all we can do is assess the range of forecasts being made. Scouring the internet for the absolutely highest possible forecast you can find probably isn't the most reliable method of assessment, however.
    Because those aren’t the absolute highest possible forecasts, I’m afraid, and because I’m good at speed of reasoning, and you’re not. A fact which seems to annoy you, existentially.

You have a go

(Of course the 'crisis' is diminishing - yesterday you said: "43C across central England. Breaking the record by 5 degrees. Like a Bob Beamon jump in climate")

Except you miss out the next sentence where I say IF IT HAPPENS

And you forget to mention that I was explicitly referring to a weather model, this one, which foresees exactly this: 43C across central England

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    edited July 2022
    DavidL said:

I agree with Mike. One of Sunak's greatest weaknesses was that he did not offer as clean a break from the morass that the Boris government became as the other candidates, Penny in particular. By ostracising him and making clear that he is not continuity Boris in any way he is doing Rishi a favour.

However it does nothing to alter the basics: For the Tories Rishi is dangerous to appoint because of his decision to stay at No 11 for 6 months after the government and PM were plainly morally compromised. + Non Dom, Green Card and all that.

However Labour still look competent enough, and a Lab/LD government would be a reasonable way forward. Appointing Rishi will progress that outcome.

BTW a Lab/LD government would break no current promises by offering (after the election, with a manifesto promising to review options) a negotiation and referendum on EFTA/EEA membership, and dilute the appeal of the SNP at the same time.

• Options

Barnesian said:

An all-female shortlist? Very un-Tory.
    Not really. For PMs they have gone Maggie, Major, Cameron, May, Boris then ? Another female PM is due.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

I still think that she is the best chance of Tories maintaining a majority. In order of probability of winning the next GE, I would put:

Mordaunt
    Sunak
    Tugenhadt
    Truss
    Badenoch

I think your analysis is spot on.

Con Maj starts to look value if Mordaunt wins.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    FPT Mr. Observer, I must agree. Temperatures of 25C at 10pm is bloody horrendous.

The only PBers enjoying that will be lizards and lunatics.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Po2HA9a7DDVi8tuTf-cV-wXdEhIjcCUg2fGqRcvl_cI/edit?usp=sharing

Any predictions are a gamble, given that we have debates - starting tonight - which could change everything
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

So Rishi is knocked out in the final MPs ballot if that is correct like Portillo 2001, it looks plausible.
  • Options

If he doesn't quit as a MP pretty damn quick after he's not PM a few eye brows will be raised.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    Barnesian said:

Penny really needs a good chunk of those TT transfers. I suspect she gets them due to candidate profile etc but a lot of these things are things we can’t predict ie personal relationships and the like so it’s very hard to forecast.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You have a go

And you forget to mention that I was explicitly referring to a weather model, this one, which foresees exactly this: 43C across central England

The full quote was:

"43C across central England. Breaking the record by 5 degrees. Like a Bob Beamon jump in climate

This is - if it happens - our version of the Canadian Heat dome"

No reference, explicit or otherwise, to anything apart from Bob Beamon and the Canadian Heat Dome.

But chill! It doesn't really matter, it's all a bit of fun.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

So Rishi is knocked out in the final MPs ballot if that is correct like Portillo 2001, it looks plausible.
    I have a little money riding on that already, just in case
  • Options
    Leon said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Any predictions are a gamble, given that we have debates - starting tonight - which could change everything
    Yes they are a gamble! That's why there is a spread of odds.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

However it does nothing to alter the basics: For the Tories Rishi is dangerous to appoint because of his decision to stay at No 11 for 6 months after the government and PM were plainly morally compromised. + Non Dom, Green Card and all that.

However Labour still look competent enough, and a Lab/LD government would be a reasonable way forward. Appointing Rishi will progress that outcome.

I am still worried about Mordaunt. She strikes me as a largely blank slate onto which people are projecting their dreams with very little evidence. We also don't need another PM with such a poor relationship with the truth. I am even more worried by Truss who is a seriously over promoted nutter. Rishi has serious flaws, his last budget was awful and needs corrected but of those 3 he seems to me to be the safe option.

Of course Mordaunt may prove to be excellent but she would be our least experienced PM since Blair in 97. It's a bit of a gamble given what seems to be coming down the track economically.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mordaunt
    Sunak
    Tugenhadt
    Truss
    Badenoch

I would put Badenoch ahead of Truss, she is less experienced but Truss is the least electable of the candidates remaining
  • Options

Leon said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You have a go

The full quote was:

"43C across central England. Breaking the record by 5 degrees. Like a Bob Beamon jump in climate

No reference to anything apart from Bob Beamon and the Canadian Heat Dome.

It does matter because you’re misrepresenting me and I am in a petulant mood. I was explicitly referring to that model chart above, not plucking figures out of my imperial Cornish butt. Tsk
  • Options

If he doesn't quit as a MP pretty damn quick after he's not PM a few eye brows will be raised.
    May's still there.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    @Carnyx FPT I meant rioting in England, like 2011. We don't really do that in Scotland, though Kelvingrove can be fun during Royal Weddings.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You have a go

The full quote was:

It does matter because you’re misrepresenting me and I am in a petulant mood. I was explicitly referring to that model chart above, not plucking figures out of my imperial Cornish butt. Tsk
    Where is the explicit reference in your post?

There was no blockquote, no link, no paste of that chart.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

May's still there.
    Bear in mind he has still got the Privileges committee on his ass. A suspension and lost recall election would be so humiliating he might jump in advance of that.
  • Options

May's still there.
    May is a very different person to Johnson. She clearly enjoys being an MP. Boris wants power and fame and money. Being a backbencher doesn't give you any of those things.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

I am still worried about Mordaunt. She strikes me as a largely blank slate onto which people are projecting their dreams with very little evidence. We also don't need another PM with such a poor relationship with the truth. I am even more worried by Truss who is a seriously over promoted nutter. Rishi has serious flaws, his last budget was awful and needs corrected but of those 3 he seems to me to be the safe option.

Of course Mordaunt may prove to be excellent but she would be our least experienced PM since Blair in 97. It's a bit of a gamble given what seems to be coming down the track economically.
    "We also don't need another PM with such a poor relationship with the truth. "

What's your evidence for the assertion that she has a 'poor relationship with the truth' ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

May's still there.
    Bear in mind he has still got the Privileges committee on his ass. A suspension and lost recall election would be so humiliating he might jump in advance of that.
    Good points
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

FPT Mr. Observer, I must agree. Temperatures of 25C at 10pm is bloody horrendous.

Not sure which I am - I'm loving it. Two glorious days of golf planned.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

I prefer the @MikeL (I think it was) theory: Johnson engineers Truss into PM, Truss is a disaster, VoNC in September 2023, Johnson comes riding over the hill on a white charger to save the Tories.

I think the last sentence is correct. One of his quite attractive qualities is that he's resilient, almost Kiplingesque ("treat triumph and disaster just the same"). I can't imagine him settling by the fire and spending his days watching daytime TV. That's why I suggested he might have another try for London Mayor, but being a backbench rebel might amuse him too.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mordaunt
    Sunak
    Tugenhadt
    Truss
    Badenoch

I would put Badenoch ahead of Truss, she is less experienced but Truss is the least electable of the candidates remaining

Less than 200 posts to go to the 100k @HYUFD - I'll almost certainly miss the 100,000th but well done in advance!

Edit: I've bollocksed up blockquote and don't have time to sort it out, so I've also pinched your comment - sorry!
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347
    HYUFD said:

The idea Sunak is the Heseltine shows how far the party has gone down the rabbithole. Heseltine, and Clarke after him lost as were open pro-Europeans in a party that isn't. Which is fine. A leader can't be that at odds with their party on such a big issue, so they generally pre-Brexit selected Eurosceptic leaders who none-the-less thought it was a bad idea to leave altogether rather than gripe from within. The fact Sunak, an actual dyed-in -the-wool Brexiteer who believes it can be made a success of rather than suffered, is apparently the moderate unloved by the party, shows quit what a bonkers and ludicrous situation the Conservative Party is in.
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

What's your evidence for the assertion that she has a 'poor relationship with the truth' ?
    The various points made by various contributors yesterday. I freely admit that she was not on my radar until the end of last week. Reversing ferret on transgender issues having won the Pink News Parliamentarian of the year was one of the stand outs IIRC. And an unfortunate change at that, from my perspective.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited July 2022
    Good morning

The Mail today is conducting a comprehensive hatchet job on Mordaunt and has clearly not given up on Johnson who in their poll tops the list of best for PM

This is a defining moment for today's conservative party, and hopefully the vast majority of their mps recognise the damage to their prospects that would follow if they entertain the ERG and pro Johnson wing and ensure Mordaunt at least is put to the membership
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    With respect to the heat wave, it's worth recalling that in Canada last summer they broke their national temperature record by 4.6C. An equivalent for the UK would see a new record of 43.3C.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You have a go

The full quote was:

Where is the explicit reference in your post?

There was no blockquote, no link, no paste of that chart.
    Are you just a fucking moron? Or actually the full and complete fucking moron?

My comment directly preceding that was THIS:

If this verifies, and it is getting closer, this will dominate the news for days. Incredible stuff

These are lethal temperatures and many will die

So that’s what I was referring to in my very next comment, you pitiful dung-eater
  • Options
    There are only three realistic outcomes:

Sunak/Mordaunt - Mordaunt is PM. She is the overwhelming favourite of the Tory membership.
    Truss/ Mordaunt - Mordaunt is PM. As above.
    Sunak/Truss - Sunak is PM. Membership upset with Truss for edging out Mordaunt, don't want continuity Boris, and don't see Truss as an election winner.

In no case is Truss PM - unfortunately for the opposition and fortunately for the country.
  • Options
    MJW said:

HYUFD said:

The idea Sunak is the Heseltine shows how far the party has gone down the rabbithole. Heseltine, and Clarke after him lost as were open pro-Europeans in a party that isn't. Which is fine. A leader can't be that at odds with their party on such a big issue, so they generally pre-Brexit selected Eurosceptic leaders who none-the-less thought it was a bad idea to leave altogether rather than gripe from within. The fact Sunak, an actual dyed-in -the-wool Brexiteer who believes it can be made a success of rather than suffered, is apparently the moderate unloved by the party, shows quit what a bonkers and ludicrous situation the Conservative Party is in.
    Tugendhat is ideologically closer to Heseltine, Sunak to Portillo but the point was the Boris camp is seeking to stop Sunak as Thatcher tried to stop Heseltine in 1990. Sunak maybe heading for defeat like Heseltine in 1990 or even knock out like Portillo 2001
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

The various points made by various contributors yesterday. I freely admit that she was not on my radar until the end of last week. Reversing ferret on transgender issues having won the Pink News Parliamentarian of the year was one of the stand outs IIRC. And an unfortunate change at that, from my perspective.
    Did she 'reverse ferret' ? What exactly did she say before and after this 'reverse ferret'?

People are freely calling PM a liar on here, but when asked, no-one seems to be able to point out to *how* she is lying, aside from the fact others claim she is. Perhaps she is, but it would be good to see the evidence - and also whether the other candidates are being held up to the same standards.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

You’re going to play golf in ~40C??

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341

Good morning

The Mail today is conducting a comprehensive hatchet job on Mordaunt and has clearly not given up on Johnson who in their poll tops the list of best for PM

This is a defining moment for today's conservative party, and hopefully the vast majority of their mps recognise the damage to their prospects that would follow if they entertain the ERG and pro Johnson wing and ensure Mordaunt at least is put to the membership

The Mail is a malign influence on our culture.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341

Good morning

The Mail is a malign influence on our culture.
    Mind you... if the Mail doesn't like her, she us the one to vote for.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sunak only getting 10-20% of the remaining candidates votes seems extremely low.

My gut percentages also leave it close but see Mordaunt narrowly eliminated instead.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Re Mr Palmer's comment; I can't see Boris Johnson following Edward Heath's example and becoming 'miserable old git of the house'. I think he's more likely to be trouble for a few months and then get bored by the next election
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

There are only three realistic outcomes:

Sunak/Mordaunt - Mordaunt is PM. She is the overwhelming favourite of the Tory membership.
    Truss/ Mordaunt - Mordaunt is PM. As above.
    Sunak/Truss - Sunak is PM. Membership upset with Truss for edging out Mordaunt, don't want continuity Boris, and don't see Truss as an election winner.

In no case is Truss PM - unfortunately for the opposition and fortunately for the country.

I wish I could be convinced of this but I am 99% certain Truss beats Sunak in a match up.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    In August 2003 temperature in the UK reached 38.5 degrees C. At the time I was on my coastal walk, but as I was in the very north of Scotland the weather was much cooler - in fact from memory it was perfect walking weather.

Another coastal walker was much further south, and he was starting his walk at three or four in the morning each day to avoid the heat, finishing well before midday. I got the impression he did not enjoy himself.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

I think the last sentence is correct. One of his quite attractive qualities is that he's resilient, almost Kiplingesque ("treat triumph and disaster just the same"). I can't imagine him settling by the fire and spending his days watching daytime TV. That's why I suggested he might have another try for London Mayor, but being a backbench rebel might amuse him too.
    There is no way London would vote for him again. His electoral magic is gone, and London is in any case moving further away from the Tories.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

Would you say someone in Florida was brave for playing golf in that weather?

Stop being such a moaning Myrtle, we're going to have some good weather for a few days, can't you just enjoy it?
  • Options
    Let’s hope Mordaunt trounces Truss tonight
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited July 2022
    Betfair next PM

2.2 Penny Mordaunt 45%
    3.55 Liz Truss 28%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    170 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab

Betfair to reach the final two (note Sunak shortest but only third best for next pm)

1.3 Rishi Sunak 77%
    1.37 Penny Mordaunt 73%
    2.26 Liz Truss 44%
    15 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    60 Tom Tugendhat
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

BTW a Lab/LD government would break no current promises by offering (after the election, with a manifesto promising to review options) a negotiation and referendum on EFTA/EEA membership, and dilute the appeal of the SNP at the same time.

The problem facing Truss is that she is a charisma-free zone.

Voters won't give her the benefit of the doubt or vote for her. I'm sure the Swing voter focus groups being carried out now are producing similar results. Brexiteers seem to have a curious blind spot about this.

Ultimately, she just looks a bit - odd. For similar reasons to May, voters won't go for Truss. It's not fair but it is modern politics.

Mordaunt has different problems. She would be vulnerable to attacks on economic competence at the next election - which is electoral kryptonite for the Conservative party.

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice. I'm sure Raab and Patel have an eye on a run in 2025.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

With respect to the heat wave, it's worth recalling that in Canada last summer they broke their national temperature record by 4.6C. An equivalent for the UK would see a new record of 43.3C.

What surprised me about that was that Canada hadn't recorded those sorts of temperatures before. It's part of a continental landmass, so I'd have thought it would have got very hot at times.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Penny's lack of experience is a concern. She's probably aware that she'll need a Willie.
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

Stop being such a moaning Myrtle, we're going to have some good weather for a few days, can't you just enjoy it?

You don’t get out much, do you?

40C is not golfing weather
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,189

Re Mr Palmer's comment; I can't see Boris Johnson following Edward Heath's example and becoming 'miserable old git of the house'. I think he's more likely to be trouble for a few months and then get bored by the next election

Absolutely, Boris will resign his seat in the autumn and there will be a by election by the end of the year.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Final 2 prices

RS 1.3 / 1.36 73.5% - 76.9%
    PM 1.37 / 1.4 71.4% - 73%
    LT 2.26/2.38 42.0% - 44.2%

Winner prices (Next Con)

RS 4.7
    PM 2.16
    LT 3.5

Implied probability at members stage

RS 27.7% / 28.9%
    PM 63.4% / 64.8%
    LT 64.6% / 68%

Mordaunt has to be way more than a 63% chance against Sunak (And at least that with Truss) with the members surely ?

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    In terms of charisma, Truss makes Starmer look like Don Draper.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

I grew up in Australia. If you're healthy and don't have heart conditions you absolutely can be golfing in 40C weather.

Slip, slop, slap. Stay hydrated and enjoy it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378

Truss: all the worst bits of the Johnson government without anything positive to add.

And not a party I would be supporting.

Liz Truss, the only person who would become smarter after a lobotomy.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

As a golfer, I endorse that entirely. And remember that the temperatures quoted in weather forecasts are only those in the shade.
  • Options

Never mind bored, he needs to get out from under committees enquiring into lies and Italy trips and peerages and Kabul asap.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    Why would Johnson quit as MP? He must have a decent chance in the next leadership election.
  • Options
    Keystone said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Voters won't give her the benefit of the doubt or vote for her. I'm sure the Swing voter focus groups being carried out now are producing similar results. Brexiteers seem to have a curious blind spot about this.

Ultimately, she just looks a bit - odd. For similar reasons to May, voters won't go for Truss. It's not fair but it is modern politics.

Mordaunt has different problems. She would be vulnerable to attacks on economic competence at the next election - which is electoral kryptonite for the Conservative party.

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice. I'm sure Raab and Patel have an eye on a run in 2025.
    Raab has to hold his seat first
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,811

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

The business about the veto over Turkey joining the EU.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

I grew up in Australia. If you're healthy and don't have heart conditions you absolutely can be golfing in 40C weather.

Sorry, you are telling us what we should wear as a health precaution, despite hot summers having become endemic? Do you want to live forever?
    No, I'm giving friendly advice. Its entirely up to you what you choose to wear.

There's nothing wrong with giving advice, when you expect that advice to be taken that's where we have a problem.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Final 2 prices

Winner prices (Next Con)

RS 4.7
    PM 2.16
    LT 3.5

RS 27.7% / 28.9%
    PM 63.4% / 64.8%
    LT 64.6% / 68%

Mordaunt has to be way more than a 63% chance against Sunak (And at least that with Truss) with the members surely ?

iirc Opinium had Rishi beating Penny in a head-to-head but everyone remembers the other way round on Yougov.

E2A link to Opinium
    https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/con-members-polling-09072022/
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited July 2022
    Techne poll thus morning with a partial reversion of the defenestration/chaos slump. Tories i suspect helped by 24/7 coverage this week

Westminster voting intention:

LAB 40% (-1)
    CON 31% (+2)
    LDEM: 13% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (-)

via @techneUK, 14 Jul
    https://t.co/5ksWvcS8Xq
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

Florida’s highest ever temperature is 42C, but that’s extremely unusual - eg in Orlando the highest temp has been ~37C for the last ten years

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/FL/Orlando/extreme-annual-orlando-high-temperature.php

So Floridians never get the chance to play golf in ~40C. I’ll leave it to others to determine whether they SHOULD play golf at ~40C
  • Options
    Keystone said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

It’s interesting you mention May - to be honest I think Truss even struggles compared to her.

May was a charisma free zone but at least had that church warden, headmistressy sort of vibe going for her which, particularly in the early months, did exude some form of competence.

Truss doesn’t even have that. She has an awkward grin/grimace straight out of a caricature, a clumsyness that somehow manages to avoid being endearing in any way, and a leaden, uninspiring delivery.

I honestly was reminded just how terrible a public speaker she was yesterday. Forget Theresa May and Gordon Brown - at least they could add emphasis at the right points.

Can you imagine this woman inspiring a nation to go to the polls to vote for her? She would be an utter disaster.
  • Options
    Final pair match ups, asked of the general public (Redfield & W, published in the i)
    "....which would you prefer to become Prime Minister

Sunak 39% v Truss 37%

Truss 26% v Mordaunt 27%

Mordaunt 39% v Sunak 32%

The remaining % is don't knows.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

It depends on the humidity. 104 in dry heat is endurable. 104 in 100% humidity is life-threatening even for healthy people.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Never mind bored, he needs to get out from under committees enquiring into lies and Italy trips and peerages and Kabul asap.
    He can still be dragged in front of the committee even if he's no longer a Member! And committees have quite considerable powers to exact penalties!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Final 2 prices

Winner prices (Next Con)

RS 4.7
    PM 2.16
    LT 3.5

RS 27.7% / 28.9%
    PM 63.4% / 64.8%
    LT 64.6% / 68%

iirc Opinium had Rishi beating Penny in a head-to-head but everyone remembers the other way round on Yougov.

E2A link to Opinium
    https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/con-members-polling-09072022/
    Times voodoo poll has Rishi 43% to PM 30%

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/91101146-03ba-11ed-aa15-45d37b45dc0d?shareToken=712bc9ac92f42b9a57abeb4625a1b40b
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

Florida’s highest ever temperature is 42C, but that’s extremely unusual - eg in Orlando the highest temp has been ~37C for the last ten years

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/FL/Orlando/extreme-annual-orlando-high-temperature.php

So Floridians never get the chance to play golf in ~40C. I’ll leave it to others to determine whether they SHOULD play golf at ~40C
    OK, I didn't realise that Florida was as moderate as that, I should have said Australians then.

I grew up in Melbourne, Vic, close to a golf course and we'd get 40C+ temperatures most summers. The golf course would be very popular and not shut down in that temperature.

Those in Queensland and NSW would get those temperatures even more often.
  • Options

Final pair match ups, asked of the general public (Redfield & W, published in the i)

Sunak 39% v Truss 37%

Truss 26% v Mordaunt 27%

Mordaunt 39% v Sunak 32%

Those are interesting in the sense that they don’t really give anyone a massive boost.

• Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2022

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mordaunt
    Sunak
    Tugenhadt
    Truss
    Badenoch

"I think your analysis is spot on.

Con Maj starts to look value if Mordaunt wins."

Interesting that you think Badenoch is less electable than Truss. I think there's 80% chance Badenoch would be a flop and give Labour a working majority, but I don't think it's impossible she could turn out to be surprisingly popular.
    Cosplay Thatcher, on the other hand, I'm near certain will be a disaster.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

He can still be dragged in front of the committee even if he's no longer a Member! And committees have quite considerable powers to exact penalties!
    He can but I am pretty sure hes has more wiggle room as xMP than MP.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

That’s…..

….

…..,,,

… brave
    Sounds glorious.

It depends on the humidity. 104 in dry heat is endurable. 104 in 100% humidity is life-threatening even for healthy people.
    And that’s endurable, not enjoyable

At ~40C the sensible instinct of 97% of humanity will be: head to the shade, have a cold shower, drink lots of water, find aircon, don’t do anything too energetic

Go out onto a sun-crushed golf course to vigorously thwack a ball around? Er, no
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

The business about the veto over Turkey joining the EU.
    Thanks; I missed that. Do you mean the things she said in 2016?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-eu-a7041956.html

From memory, many people on here seemed to agree with her... ;)
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Sunak only getting 10-20% of the remaining candidates votes seems extremely low.

My gut percentages also leave it close but see Mordaunt narrowly eliminated instead.
    Braverman has 27 currently, not 32
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited July 2022
    On this day in 1988, Die Hard starring Bruce Willis was released.

I mean you don't release a Christmas film in the middle of summer do you? DO YOU?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Braverman has 27 currently, not 32
    I didn't spot that, I only editted the percentages not the numbers. The original I replied to had 32 for Braverman too it seems.

Doesn't change the outcome. On my percentages Mordaunt is narrowly knocked out, though it does narrow the gap.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    edited July 2022

Keystone said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

It’s interesting you mention May - to be honest I think Truss even struggles compared to her.

May was a charisma free zone but at least had that church warden, headmistressy sort of vibe going for her which, particularly in the early months, did exude some form of competence.

Truss doesn’t even have that. She has an awkward grin/grimace straight out of a caricature, a clumsyness that somehow manages to avoid being endearing in any way, and a leaden, uninspiring delivery.

I honestly was reminded just how terrible a public speaker she was yesterday. Forget Theresa May and Gordon Brown - at least they could add emphasis at the right points.

Can you imagine this woman inspiring a nation to go to the polls to vote for her? She would be an utter disaster.
    Here's a thought. Do the Remainers in the party gang up to eliminate Truss before she gets to the final three?

She's 15 votes ahead of Badenoch which is large but not huge and a smaller gap than between Truss and Mordaunt.

If you are worried the ERG will propel her through, maybe better to knock her out now.

• Options

Sunak 39% v Truss 37%

Truss 26% v Mordaunt 27%

Mordaunt 39% v Sunak 32%

Those are interesting in the sense that they don’t really give anyone a massive boost.

That was my immediate reaction too.
This discussion has been closed.