Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak just edging it at the moment in the betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    Pulpstar said:

Members numbers do look absolubtely terminal for Rishi.

It's another reason why a Penny v Kemi contest would be better for everyone.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

Leon said:

Mordaunt now CLEAR favourite on Betfair

Penny is odds-on!

1.95 Penny Mordaunt 51%
    4.6 Rishi Sunak 21%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    20 Kemi Badenoch 5%
    36 Tom Tugendhat
    140 Jeremy Hunt
    150 Dominic Raab
    200 Suella Braverman
    250 Nadhim Zahawi
    Something has happened besides Penny Mordaunt's launch and the new poll. Is a Mordaunt fan trying to rig the market or has Rishi come out for sending small boys up chimneys?

ETA I see Nick Palmer has also raised an eyebrow.
    Watching the betting and seeing Rishi come in a point and go out a point and come in a point and rinse and repeat. It does not look natural.
    Was it the snap YouGov poll that pushed Mordaunt up? (see BBC live feed)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    It's becoming clear the key question for Tory MPs in the next 48 hours is whether they want Truss or Mordaunt to be the next PM. Whoever they put through to the final 2 against Sunak will win (if ConHome and YouGov are to be believed).
    https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1546815658968719366
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

JESUS. I just solved basically every problem in the West

Childless people should be taxed. Heavily

That solves the demographic issue - bingo. It also brings in a ton of money for HMG. Bringing down debt and deficit

SORTED

The French do something similar, in effect. You get tax breaks for having children. It's unusual in the west in the high birth rates among middle class people.
    Yes but we need to get punitive. This is a demographic crisis. Your duty is to have kids. End of

I SUPPOSE we can make exceptions for people without wombs etc, but other than that: slam them with harsh taxes, maybe even deny them normal human rights. Stop them joining choirs. Let them into larger cities only between 3-5pm. Why do they need to move around anyway if they don’t have kids?
    I'll admit that on a pretty meagre income I can live a 'decent' life in large part because I don't have a family to support. You have to be careful though. Some people are frankly not suited to being parents. The major problem as I see it is that if we know that some people won't have children and very few have more than two, then fertility rates are going to be below replacement level.

The extortionate cost of housing for Gen Y/Z is the obvious problem.
    As someone recently married, and with the kids question looming, the financials are scary. Currently we're blessed by being very well off - probably ~£50kpa income between us after tax, we've two houses, both half paid off. If we sold one, we'd probably have £100k left after paying the other mortgage off.
    If we have a couple of kids, my wife will probably give up work at least for a while, we ideally need a bigger house, which probably means selling the remaining house for around £160k and spending £300-£400k (bigger ex-council houses aren't really a thing, and anything that isn't ex-council is a big step up in price).

It's quite possible we'll end up with two kids, a £100k mortgage, and £25kpa post tax income, which is OK, but rather a change from the present situation where we literally can't spend money as fast as we're earning it.

On the housing madness, I had some estate agents out to look at my wife's house in North Somerset on Monday. She bought in 2017 for £202.5k - all three agents thought we should get £250-260k - I.E. it's gained £10k in value a year. If we let it out, we should expect ~£900pcm.

The whole situation seems both mad and unsustainable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_xP said:

Nadhim Zahawi is using NZ4PM as his leadership election tag. If you click on http://NZ4PM.com you are redirected to Penny Mordaunt’s leadership home page. Comedy gold. You gotta love this contest

New Zealand clearly backing our Penny.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

BREAKING YouGov Conservative members poll which will electrify the leadership election

Penny Mordaunt beats EVERY candidate in a run off by at least 18 points

Sunak loses to everyone except Zahawi/Braverman/Hunt

Truss beats Sunak by 24

https://thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-leadership-race-candidates-prime-minister-latest-tcx239sq0

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1547192886571278336

Anyone who doesn't want the tortoise face should back Penny.
    Sunak is TOAST on that poll
    Rishi’s only hope is getting to the final round with a candidate who then self-combusts through scandal.

Could we possibly see a surprise result in the first round? Rishi underperforming as MPs realise he is unlikely to win the membership, and switching support?
    Imagine if Team Rishi managed to engineer a run-off against Braverman, and then he lost.
    I'm having enough difficulty sleeping in the heat as it is.....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,233

Badenoch not among those polled (or reported?)

There's a reason Keir Starmer is attacking me at #PMQs today.

It's because he knows we're the only team that can beat Labour 👇

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1547177911236558848?s=20&t=8twPNOmPc6YmLHMiGZTiIw

I'm very surprised by Mordaunt's low score on that poll. I'd have thought she would have been the most popular with the public. But I suspect there is a strong name recognition effect.
    Yep, and it diminishes Sunak further because of it.
    ? He’s leading the poll, quite easily?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Pulpstar said:

Would make for some great hustings.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221

Pulpstar said:

I suspect the Kemi ramping from Gove et al is designed to keep Penny out of the final two. Sunak probably fancies his chances against Truss whatever the polling says.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942

Breaking News

Chishti throws the considerable weight of his leadership campaign behind Tugendhat

every little helps....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

Hearing the two Alba MPs who got chucked out of a parliament for heckling today could be suspended for 8 days.

If they are they won’t get paid over the summer

Expensive heckle that

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1547201384935817219

What were they heckling about? I've searched but can't find an answer.
    What do the Nats only ever talk about?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Who polls better with the public? Truss or mordant?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,692
    mwadams said:

Leon said:

Mordaunt now CLEAR favourite on Betfair

Penny is odds-on!

1.95 Penny Mordaunt 51%
    4.6 Rishi Sunak 21%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    20 Kemi Badenoch 5%
    36 Tom Tugendhat
    140 Jeremy Hunt
    150 Dominic Raab
    200 Suella Braverman
    250 Nadhim Zahawi
    Something has happened besides Penny Mordaunt's launch and the new poll. Is a Mordaunt fan trying to rig the market or has Rishi come out for sending small boys up chimneys?

ETA I see Nick Palmer has also raised an eyebrow.
    Watching the betting and seeing Rishi come in a point and go out a point and come in a point and rinse and repeat. It does not look natural.
    Was it the snap YouGov poll that pushed Mordaunt up? (see BBC live feed)
    It may well be the poll wot dun it for Penny but the way Rishi's price was fluctuating by a point looked suspicious.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,952

For any rocketry geeks who missed Rocket Lab's Electron launch this morning, you have another opportunity in a short while.

ArianeSpace are launching their newly updated Vega-C rocket for the first time. The stream should start in ten minutes.

Watch here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgxx3A2FIQ8

English here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uXUM6xC0Vk
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

120 minutes for 358 MPs to vote gives an average of about 20 seconds for each one to vote.

Why can't they do it electronically??? Then it need only take minutes
    Because electronic voting isn't reliable and can be hacked.
    They managed to make it work for Parliament
    It really is not the same thing expanded out nationally. The scalability of any successful attempt to defraud it is a huge risk that is not easy to do with mundane solutions.

But for a Tory leadership contest? Manageable
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    edited July 2022
    DavidL said:

If Sunak is going to win this, he needs to win big today, I would suggest at least 40% of the votes. He needs to look the inevitable choice so that he picks up endorsements of those eliminated. If he just wins I think he will be overtaken, possibly twice, eliminating him. Even more so if he doesn't top the poll of course. Any talk of him lending out votes to anyone else is utter foolishness, he needs every single one he can get.

Even 40% would not be enough. The MPs can see these Tory member polls. Sunak is not obviously, personally popular and he still has those huge drawbacks - non dom, Green Card, three foot two, trillionaire

He'd need to get over 50% - to my mind - to possibly get the momentum necessary to overcome these major headwinds.

Also, I imagine some MPs - if they can't abide Truss, Mordaunt, or Badenoch - will be looking somewhere else?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545

Who polls better with the public? Truss or mordant?

I don’t think there’s been a lot of polling on this and the stuff that has been done has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The general public could probably name, out of the leadership contenders, Rishi, Truss and Hunt at a push. And maybe Zahawi.

Most people won’t know who Mordaunt, Badenoch, Tugendhat or Braverman are, so polling this time is going to be a bit unreliable I suspect. It may become a little bit more helpful during the membership vote.
  • Options
    As we've seen on the woman issue:

Penny Mordaunt is a lot more like Boris Johnson than most of people recognise. The same inability to back down when a mistake has been made or the wrong thing has been said - always the instinct to double down.

https://twitter.com/NicholasTyrone/status/1547205020453593088
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

120 minutes for 358 MPs to vote gives an average of about 20 seconds for each one to vote.

It really is not the same thing expanded out nationally. The scalability of any successful attempt to defraud it is a huge risk that is not easy to do with mundane solutions.

I was only talking about doing it for the MPs. A very small number of voters with access to a closed system.

Very easy to manage
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    I am not so sure that I would put this much weight on a Yougov poll in the same week as Rishi effectively forced Boris to stand down by triggering a tsunami of resignations from his government. Boris still had many supporters and the JRM jibe of betrayal will have reasonated. Whether that would still be the case after a month of meetings with members around the country doesn't seem to me to necessarily follow. As people look forward rather than back I suspect his glib smoothness will win over many doubters, especially if against someone as inarticulate as Truss.

Of course you cannot lose sight of the fact that this is the party that thought IDS was a better bet than Ken Clarke (sob)but that was a long time ago and pre-Cameron. I don't think that this is the same party now.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Also NB Pmt votes aren't secret. Members can see what vote is put to their name. Hence Kezia Dugdale tryhing to change her mind when she pressed the wrong button or something once.

Tory leadership is secret ballot though.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,538
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Penny Mordaunt says that Britain has lost its sense of self

She compares it to Paul McCartney's set at Glastonbury - 'he was playing new tunes but what we really wanted was the good old stuff'

Didn't Paul play literally loads of old stuff, or did I watch a different performance

Yes – terrible analogy. Not content with having a pop at Dad’s Army, she’s now having a pop at Paul McCartney.

There’s the kernel of a point here. A nation is a nation because of the stories it tells itself about itself and has in common; common cultural reference points, beliefs, and so on. There are fewer and fewer of these. We have less and less in common; both our view of our common history and our view of our common culture*. And so the Glastonbury Festival – which even thirty years ago was still quite a long way from the mainstream – is presented as the centrepiece of the British Summer; but it is headlined by a man playing songs from 60 years ago because that was our last common cultural reference point.

I’m just scratching at this issue; I’m not convinced I’m going at it right and I’m not sure where it leads. There are side issues about education, sport, situation comedy, the BBC, pubs, online and real life interactions. There’s a persuasive point about British society in here somewhere, and reflections about the extent Britain is typical or atypical of the west in the 21st century, but I’m not sure what it is or what to do about it.

I’m not a massive Paul McCartney fan, by the way. I prefer my music less melodic. But I do recognise a) his talent, and b) his cultural importance, and c) that he pitched his set excellently.

*On which point, I urge anyone to visit the Comedy Carpet in Blackpool, which is the best example we have of a common cultural reference point. It’s about half an acre of polished paving into which have been embossed dozens and dozens of punch lines and catch phrases which almost all British people and only British people will understand. “Don’t tell him, Pike – I’m playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order – Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me.” You don’t have to find any of it funny – though if absolutely none of it raises a smile you are either foreign or dead – but marvel at the fact that you can contextualise almost all of it without having had to try. And rejoice that there is at least something that we still have in common.
    And partly that's because the boomers are so numerous, and are insisting on hanging around so long. Imagine George Formby still being the big thing in the 1960s.

The gentle evolution of popular culture that ought to have kept happening has ground to a halt and has become a bit of a tug of war.

The fragmentation of mass media doesn't help. Have we had any universally shared moments this year apart from Paddington and the Queen?
    I saw a teenage kid my daughter's age wearing a Beatles t-shirt yesterday, it did make me feel a bit sad. Mind you, my daughter wears my old Deltic Preservation Society sweatshirt, apparently her friends all rave about how vintage it is. It does feel a bit as if the culture is ossifying.
    I concur.

Saw a German boy aged about twelve wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt yesterday. That’s like if I had gone about in the 1980s wearing a Fletcher Henderson Orchestra t-shirt. Simply tragic.
    Guess you must have missed Flanders & Swann headlining Glasto in '72.
    I went to see the Pixies last week. Where I was (middle aged man in a mosh pit), I was surrounded by people 20 years younger than me. They treated me as something of an amusing oddity. Yet I was only just old enough to be into the Pixies first time around; most of these people must have been born some time after they split up*.
    I don't begrudge them this, and am happy that the music I love has found a new audience, but I'm slightly bemused by it. (This isn't necessarily the case at other bands from that era I've seen recently: people under 40 were rare at the Wedding Present and nonexistent at Half Man Half Biscuit.)

*yes I know they reformed and have been releasing new albums, but 90% of the set was the pre-1992 era. They know what their audience wants.
    I was at Half Man Half Biscuit in Leeds a few weeks ago and there were loads of younger people. To be honest, I was surprised how many.

Of course 85% of the audience was 40-plus overeducated, underpaid beta male centrist dads, just like me (not that I'm a dad, but you get what I mean). But there was a respectable amount of young uns. Some of them were even female. I saw one girl, probably early 20s, happily sporting a hi-vis vest and some - presumably Joy Division - oven gloves.
    That was not the impression I got of the audience in Manchester! I have never been part of an audience which was older, fatter, or more disreputable looking.

Not much to conclude from that except that individual views are partial.
    Haha maybe that's just Manchester for you!

You make a good point with the Pixies, by the way. An old girlfriend introduced me to them in something like '97 or '98 and they seemed like a band from the generation before me, like the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays. Looking back it's odd that I listened to them so late, I was a huge Nirvana fan and they were always saying how much the Pixies influenced them.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,996
    Laurence Fox is backing Kemi. :s

Pulpstar said:

I suspect the Kemi ramping from Gove et al is designed to keep Penny out of the final two. Sunak probably fancies his chances against Truss whatever the polling says.
    The best way to keep PM4PM out of the final two is to ramp Truss, so it’s Sunak/Truss. Badenoch mania is hurting Truss by fishing in the same pool.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

If Sunak is going to win this, he needs to win big today, I would suggest at least 40% of the votes. He needs to look the inevitable choice so that he picks up endorsements of those eliminated. If he just wins I think he will be overtaken, possibly twice, eliminating him. Even more so if he doesn't top the poll of course. Any talk of him lending out votes to anyone else is utter foolishness, he needs every single one he can get.

Even 40% would not be enough. The MPs can see these Tory member polls. Sunak is not obviously, personally popular and he still has those huge drawbacks - non dom, Green Card, three foot two, trillionaire

He'd need to get over 50% - to my mind - to possibly get the momentum necessary to overcome these major headwinds.

Also, I imagine some MPs - if they can't abide Truss, Mordaunt, or Badenoch - will be looking somewhere else?
    It would be great if the MPs see sense now, and the three ladies are the top three.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

It would be great if the MPs see sense now, and the three ladies are the top three.
    If it isn't Sunak whoever wins should reverse the NI tax rise.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My favourite line of Penny's this morning was 'we are going to modernise government with the white heat of modernisation' which got a round of applause.

What utterly meaningless twaddle.
    Yes that was a low point
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    DavidL said:

I am not so sure that I would put this much weight on a Yougov poll in the same week as Rishi effectively forced Boris to stand down by triggering a tsunami of resignations from his government. Boris still had many supporters and the JRM jibe of betrayal will have reasonated. Whether that would still be the case after a month of meetings with members around the country doesn't seem to me to necessarily follow. As people look forward rather than back I suspect his glib smoothness will win over many doubters, especially if against someone as inarticulate as Truss.

Of course you cannot lose sight of the fact that this is the party that thought IDS was a better bet than Ken Clarke (sob)but that was a long time ago and pre-Cameron. I don't think that this is the same party now.

Both Truss and Mordaunt have whopping leads over him. Can't see a way back, and I say that as someone who thought he was the best choice.
    I still think Truss is good value.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

As someone was saying above, the comments on ToryHome are largely anti-Penny, which is odd.

That all said, other commentators on the site have been making the point that much of the Tory membership is legacy-Cameron, and leans left of Tory voters overall (many rightwingers are Ukip members, not Tory members).

Hence why Penny polls so well with the membership perhaps? They are more liberal than one might think?

Like our Leon and Casino, what judgement they have goes out the window because of their obsession with being ‘anti-woke’. Most of the fuss about Mordaunt on ConHome appears to relate to one old comment about trans people, which the crusty pensioners who inhabit that site can’t see beyond.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,727

Sandpit said:

Voting has started.

Did we ever get word of the MPs who had the whip suspended? Also, will we see Boris Johnson in the voting room? Traditionally, the outgoing leader abstains, but we know quite a bit about Johnson and tradition.

How else can he do a write-in for himself?
    Danger with Boris Johnson in the voting room, is that he'll do an Alan Clark.

IIRC, Clark revealed in his (published) diary that fiddled with voting papers in similar circumstance.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Both Truss and Mordaunt have whopping leads over him. Can't see a way back, and I say that as someone who thought he was the best choice.
    I still think Truss is good value.
    Will MPs abandon Sunak enough that he drops out of the top 2? Seems unlikely. Of course, both Mordaunt and Truss would rather face Sunak than each other!
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Pulpstar said:

The best way to keep PM4PM out of the final two is to ramp Truss, so it’s Sunak/Truss. Badenoch mania is hurting Truss by fishing in the same pool.
    Truss could offer Badenoch a senior role.

Home and dry with the membership then, I reckon.
  • Options
    If you're a Tory MP right now, would you vote for Sunak?

He is likely to lose. Everyone wants to vote for the winner. And maybe announce it, to curry favour

You'd have to believe he REALLY is the man for the job, way above all the others. I see no clear evidence of that
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

My favourite line of Penny's this morning was 'we are going to modernise government with the white heat of modernisation' which got a round of applause.

Yes that was a low point
    It worked well for Harold Wilson.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Sunak out to 4 on Betfair, Mordaunt just over evens.

Good. Anyone but Sunak. In fact, I wouldn't vote Conservative if he was the leader.

Any special reason?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Pulpstar said:

Truss could offer Badenoch a senior role.

Home and dry with the membership then, I reckon.
    It’s the obvious play, yes. I don’t know whether it would be enough to beat Mordaunt, however.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

As someone was saying above, the comments on ToryHome are largely anti-Penny, which is odd.

That all said, other commentators on the site have been making the point that much of the Tory membership is legacy-Cameron, and leans left of Tory voters overall (many rightwingers are Ukip members, not Tory members).

Hence why Penny polls so well with the membership perhaps? They are more liberal than one might think?

Like our Leon and Casino, what judgement they have goes out the window because of their obsession with being ‘anti-woke’. Most of the fuss about Mordaunt on ConHome appears to relate to one old comment about trans people, which the crusty pensioners who inhabit that site can’t see beyond.
    If you ever actually did some reading, you'd know that Mordaunt's Wokeness goes far beyond "one comment"

However, she seems to have realised her error (at least politically) and is busy tacking away. The tide on the right turns strongly against Wokeness, any whiff of it is terminal for a Tory
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Deleted for being interesting but duplicated

If it was a duplicate of the post below, it really wasn't. Besides which she is a rabid right- winger.
    This may come as a dreadful surprise, but I have a distinct tolerance for "rabid right wingers", especially if they are only "rabidly right wing" by the warped standards of the deviant Woke Left

Mussolini, for example ?

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2022
    Roger said:

MrEd said:

Sunak out to 4 on Betfair, Mordaunt just over evens.

Good. Anyone but Sunak. In fact, I wouldn't vote Conservative if he was the leader.

Any special reason?
    I’ve gone right off him since I found out why Wallace hates him
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    Phil said:

For any rocketry geeks who missed Rocket Lab's Electron launch this morning, you have another opportunity in a short while.

ArianeSpace are launching their newly updated Vega-C rocket for the first time. The stream should start in ten minutes.

Watch here:

Hey, that's with Matt from the Interplanetary Podcast! Putting the Ace back into Space!
  • Options

As we've seen on the woman issue:

Penny Mordaunt is a lot more like Boris Johnson than most of people recognise. The same inability to back down when a mistake has been made or the wrong thing has been said - always the instinct to double down.

https://twitter.com/NicholasTyrone/status/1547205020453593088

Apart from the absence of the smug grin you couldn't tell them apart
  • Options

Watch here:

Cool. What an interesting rocket. Looks like it did what it was supposed to.
  • Options
    Leon said:

He is likely to lose. Everyone wants to vote for the winner. And maybe announce it, to curry favour

You'd have to believe he REALLY is the man for the job, way above all the others. I see no clear evidence of that

I wonder if we’ll start to see shades of David Davis in 2005. Out of the blocks as the clear frontrunner, looked absolutely insurmountable, then just pathetically crumpled when it came to the crunch.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Jolyon has hired a new Chief of Staff for the Good Law Project: former National Coordinator of Momentum – yes, that Momentum – Laura Parker. The same Laura Parker who stood side by side with Corbyn right up to Labour’s car crash defeat in 2019…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Watch here:

Why are they talking in gibberish?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

Glossolalia?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    In other news the latest MoD map has Ukrainian forces pretty near to the outskirts of the city of Kherson.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You get the impression, not for the first time, that these people grew up watching The Day Today and thought it a political manual rather than satire.
  • Options

Phil said:

Watch here:

Hey, that's with Matt from the Interplanetary Podcast! Putting the Ace back into Space!
    What's the thing that looks like a laser reflector inset with mirrors/catseyes?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Hunt is now 80/1

I think he's beginning to struggle. Needs to turn it around quickly, with something dramatic, like a naked limbo dance under his alleged Chinese spy wife, in Whitehall at midnight illuminated by Nazi type flares with marching stormtroopers carrying shrieking, newly trapped pandas

Something eye-catching
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

You get the impression, not for the first time, that these people grew up watching The Day Today and thought it a political manual rather than satire.
    Progress from Tony Blair's day, where we had people who grew up reading 1984 and thought it was a political manual rather than a warning.
  • Options

In other news the latest MoD map has Ukrainian forces pretty near to the outskirts of the city of Kherson.

Awesome. And the enemy has no weapons, after they stored the ammo next to the railway line right where it went over the river. Getting the enemy back over the river is the first aim of the defenders.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    Leon said:

Suppose you subscribe to the view that the PM has to have had experience of a great office of state. The remaining choices for you now are Sunak, Truss, Hunt and, technically, Zahawi.

Hunt has even less chance of winning with the members than Sunak. So if you want someone with big job experience it's only Sunak or Truss.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

I wonder if the new weapons that Ukraine has received are making a big difference?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?
    Is it? Or is it Swahili? Sounds like someone gargling. They should stop it. Talk fucking English like a normal person. Talking a babbled foreign dialect in a serious moment or in some professional capacity is a ridiculous affectation, like me doing my driving test in mime
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    Leon said:

Hunt is now 80/1

I think he's beginning to struggle. Needs to turn it around quickly, with something dramatic, like a naked limbo dance under his alleged Chinese spy wife, in Whitehall at midnight illuminated by Nazi type flares with marching stormtroopers carrying shrieking, newly trapped pandas

Something eye-catching

I fear that would be too understated in this competition. Abolition of IT with a doubling of public spending?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Phil said:

Watch here:

A thingymajig ? ;)

(When I was a kid, any object my dad didn't know the name of was either a thingymajig or a jim-jam for a doofferator.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Badenoch's out to 36, hope she can make it through the round.

Laid Sunak a bit more at 4.7 (lucky I did so yesterday at 3 based on the Wallace rumour). Think that's as far as I'll go laying him.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    Sandpit said:

The other time you know you are getting old is when some youngster says I love such and such new song, its a cover of some old song by x....and you have to tell them that was itself a cover of....

So true. That does work on us too though, I spent two decades thinking Always On My Mind was by the Pet Shop Boys.
    A year or so ago I heard a 1990 cover of Strawberry Fields that gave me flashbacks to being a snotty teenager and absolutely insisting to my parents that it was *so very much better* than the boring old original, urgh!, eye-roll, eye-roll.

I have now somewhat changed my position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6Wc9IQ1w0
  • Options

I wonder if the new weapons that Ukraine has received are making a big difference?
    Yes they’re making a massive difference. The MLRS have better range and much higher accuracy than anything the enemy possesses, and the enemy air defences are failing to take the rockets out.

Keep them coming, NATO.
  • Options
    Was this thread title commentator's curse?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?
    Is it? Or is it Swahili? Sounds like someone gargling. They should stop it. Talk fucking English like a normal person. Talking a babbled foreign dialect in a serious moment or in some professional capacity is a ridiculous affectation, like me doing my driving test in mime
    It's Italian. Your fiancée can translate for you.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Deleted for being interesting but duplicated

If it was a duplicate of the post below, it really wasn't. Besides which she is a rabid right- winger.
    This may come as a dreadful surprise, but I have a distinct tolerance for "rabid right wingers", especially if they are only "rabidly right wing" by the warped standards of the deviant Woke Left

Mussolini, for example ?

"Tyranny tempered by complete disobedience of all laws"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes they’re making a massive difference. The MLRS have better range and much higher accuracy than anything the enemy possesses, and the enemy air defences are failing to take the rockets out.

Keep them coming, NATO.
    I just hope they can keep the ammunition coming. From the sounds of it the ammunition for them is expensive and relatively rare.

Only having a few of them, but being able to move them so they don't get destroyed, might work. But not if they run out of ammunition.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ohnotnow said:

Sandpit said:

The other time you know you are getting old is when some youngster says I love such and such new song, its a cover of some old song by x....and you have to tell them that was itself a cover of....

So true. That does work on us too though, I spent two decades thinking Always On My Mind was by the Pet Shop Boys.
    A year or so ago I heard a 1990 cover of Strawberry Fields that gave me flashbacks to being a snotty teenager and absolutely insisting to my parents that it was *so very much better* than the boring old original, urgh!, eye-roll, eye-roll.

I remember that cover. Candyflip. It's excellent. Takes the already druggy original and makes it even dreamier and trippier, but with a better beat. Nothing wrong with that
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?
    To be fair, as it's something vaguely technical you'd think it was Swahili even if they were speaking the Queen's English.

Best for you to stick with your guzzling of non-specialist media about AI or aliens. ;)
  • Options
    Member's poll is so bad for Sunak that I wonder if some MPs might switch away from him now. He's got 52 declared support but if you want to stop Truss then you need to switch to Mordaunt...
  • Options
    Would/should Sunak drop out if another candidate offered him his job of Chancellor back?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Keep them coming, NATO.
    I just hope they can keep the ammunition coming. From the sounds of it the ammunition for them is expensive and relatively rare.

Only having a few of them, but being able to move them so they don't get destroyed, might work. But not if they run out of ammunition.
    Yes, they use a lot of ammo - dedicated rocket packs, rather than standard 155mm shells. The HIMARS and M270 do use the same type though. Requires a substantial logistics operation behind them.

Looks great so far though!
  • Options
    Just a reminder: there will be plenty of opportunities in this contest for a candidate who seems to be doing well to crash and burn. Sometimes it only takes one slightly misphrased answer to a question. This is especially true of a candidate who is less well-known.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?
    To be fair, as it's something vaguely technical you'd think it was Swahili even if they were speaking the Queen's English.

Best for you to stick with your guzzling of non-specialist media about AI or aliens. ;)
    You'd have a point if I hadn't spent seven years working for Thales in thermomechanics, commuting between Cayenne and Paris
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Would/should Sunak drop out if another candidate offered him his job of Chancellor back?

That might lead to proper civil war in the Tories. Give him ForSec maybe.
  • Options

Was this thread title commentator's curse?

Murray Walker would be proud!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    Pulpstar said:

Member's poll is so bad for Sunak that I wonder if some MPs might switch away from him now. He's got 52 declared support but if you want to stop Truss then you need to switch to Mordaunt...

I'm wondering whether he might actually come second in this first vote. And if he does he could suddenly start losing support to other candidates who were only supporting him because he was the frontrunner.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Keep them coming, NATO.
    Allegedly the Ukrainians are firing other rockets at the same time, confusing the Russian's fire-control radars. Allegedly.

One odd advantage the Ukrainians may have is that they have much the same kit as the Russians, and therefore have a good idea about its limitations and how to spoof it.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Phil said:

Watch here:

A thingymajig ? ;)

(When I was a kid, any object my dad didn't know the name of was either a thingymajig or a jim-jam for a doofferator.
    So it is. But on further digging (most of the stuff in the media is about the launcher), it is indeed the laser reflecting variety of widget. Plus six more satellites.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/07/vega-c-debut-launch/
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    And, further to my comment this morning, isn't it rather remarkable that you can get over 3.0 on Zahawi coming last in the first round (Smarkets)? I got 3.5 earlier. I'd have thought he should be evens at absolute max, more probably odds-on.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Pulpstar said:

Absolutely.

If any MP currently supporting Sunak prefers Mordaunt to Truss then they absolutely have to switch to Mordaunt.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm wondering whether he might actually come second in this first vote. And if he does he could suddenly start losing support to other candidates who were only supporting him because he was the frontrunner.
    I’m imagining the glorious cluster**** that would be a result like 70 Sunak/70 Truss/70 Mordaunt/50 Badenoch/40 Tugendhat. Would set the cat among the pigeons.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601

Sandpit said:

Keep them coming, NATO.

It's bizarre, the US Army had 1366 of the M270 and M142 launchers, and other countries have more, that all use the same rocket pods, and yet we're worrying about whether they can maintain supplies of the ammunition for Ukraine, who only have 12 so far.

How did they ever expect to keep 1,000 of the things supplied?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Watch here:

They're French?

You'd have a point if I hadn't spent seven years working for Thales in thermomechanics, commuting between Cayenne and Paris
    Ah, it's wine o'clock again.

I nearly spent a placement year at CERN. Really. My life would be *very* different if I had. Went to Acorn instead...
  • Options
    "Nick Fletcher MP
    @NickFletcherMP
    ·
    1h
    I’ve been listening to the candidates and to my constituents. I’ve come to a decision. I’m voting for
    @KemiBadenoch. She has the strength of character for leadership and a clear vision for the country. She’s the one for me."

https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Sandpit, there's nothing wrong with the campaign except that it's on fire.
  • Options
    Penny is tough and funny and forthright, and clearly despises Labour

I like her

See here:

https://twitter.com/willbarnesUK/status/1546935189661687810?s=20&t=WepuULD-gLphxDtwo_iyiw
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, there's nothing wrong with the campaign except that it's on fire.

The Ukes or the Tories?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    Leon said:

I like her

See here:

https://twitter.com/willbarnesUK/status/1546935189661687810?s=20&t=WepuULD-gLphxDtwo_iyiw

I like her too. I think she can heal a lot of division in the party. Much better than the rest of the field.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Nick Fletcher MP
    @NickFletcherMP
    ·
    1h
    I’ve been listening to the candidates and to my constituents. I’ve come to a decision. I’m voting for
    @KemiBadenoch. She has the strength of character for leadership and a clear vision for the country. She’s the one for me."

https://twitter.com/KemiBadenoch

who?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    So in summary, vote Badenoch to stop Mordaunt whose supporters are trying to stop Truss whose supporters are trying to stop Sunak.
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely.

If any MP currently supporting Sunak prefers Mordaunt to Truss then they absolutely have to switch to Mordaunt.
  • Options

That might lead to proper civil war in the Tories. Give him ForSec maybe.
    Think it would have to be Home Office; we can't have a surrender monkey like him at the FO at the moment
  • Options
    EPG said:

So in summary, vote Badenoch to stop Mordaunt whose supporters are trying to stop Truss whose supporters are trying to stop Sunak.

MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely.

That’s why they call this the world’s most sophisticated electorate!
  • Options
    Blimey, as many as 1% want Nadhim in-out-shake-it-all-about Zahawi.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221
    Leon said:

I like her

See here:

Wait, I thought we were against tribal politicians in the "never kissed a Tory" mould?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Keep them coming, NATO.

It's bizarre, the US Army had 1366 of the M270 and M142 launchers, and other countries have more, that all use the same rocket pods, and yet we're worrying about whether they can maintain supplies of the ammunition for Ukraine, who only have 12 so far.

How did they ever expect to keep 1,000 of the things supplied?
    That is an interesting question.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Sandpit said:

I remember that cover. Candyflip. It's excellent. Takes the already druggy original and makes it even dreamier and trippier, but with a better beat. Nothing wrong with that
    I think my opinion of it is coloured by it being THE BEST TRACK EVER in my teenage estimation. For a couple of impassioned weeks anyway. And now thinking 'ok, it's.. alright I guess' is quite a come-down.

But then I've had quite a few come-downs from the early 90s so what's another...
  • Options
    "Almost all Tory MPs have now voted in contest

There's under an hour to go until the first round of voting closes in the Conservative leadership contest. It is understood around 300 MPs have already cast their vote for one of the eight remaining candidates to replace Boris Johnson. Foreign Secretary Liz Truss, among the contenders, smiled as she arrived to cast her ballot in the first stage of the contest. Ms Truss, who dodged the queues as the early rush to vote subsided, said little upon arrival at a Commons committee room. Candidates need to secure 30 votes today in order to move on."

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-race-live-updates-first-leadership-ballot-takes-place-today-amid-row-over-dirty-tricks-12593360
  • Options
    Let's see how the first round shakes out.
This discussion has been closed.