Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is eminently beatable – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Everyone now has at least 10 supporters, except Shapps.

Since he effectively launched this morning, I wonder if it’s already over for the “spreadsheet guy”.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,917
    NEW: Liz Truss has launched her bid to become the next Prime Minister with a pledge to cut taxes "from day one".

Full story in the @Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/10/liz-truss-launches-leadership-bid-tax-cut-challenge-rishi-sunak/
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

For @Scott_xP

Professor John Curtice says Scottish independence won't be hurt by resignation of Boris Johnson

THE resignation of Boris Johnson will not impact on support for independence as his Brexit legacy will not disappear with him, Scotland’s leading pollster has said.

As the Prime Minister who was dubbed the “best recruiting sergeant” for independence, questions have been raised over whether Johnson’s departure will make a difference to the campaign to leave the UK.

(The National; €)

It won't affect the UK government's refusal of an official indyref2 either!!
    You’d still be saying that if support for Scottish independence was 60%+, which seems to be the objective of current Conservative policy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    HYUFD said:

For @Scott_xP

Professor John Curtice says Scottish independence won't be hurt by resignation of Boris Johnson

THE resignation of Boris Johnson will not impact on support for independence as his Brexit legacy will not disappear with him, Scotland’s leading pollster has said.

As the Prime Minister who was dubbed the “best recruiting sergeant” for independence, questions have been raised over whether Johnson’s departure will make a difference to the campaign to leave the UK.

(The National; €)

Away and polish your granny-bashing baseball bat.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,198
    Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

THREE Tory leadership hopefuls reveal policy plans in @Telegraph

* Liz Truss goes public with bid, vowing “day one” tax cuts

* Zahawi signals cuts to corp tax, income tax, biz rates

* Morduant: *halve* fuel VAT, raise i-tax thresholds
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/10/liz-truss-launches-leadership-bid-tax-cut-challenge-rishi-sunak/

In order to cut taxes, they will have to squeeze public sector pay even harder.

At a time when discontent is rife and numerous vacancies are unfilled.

This could be a very, very nasty autumn.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited July 2022

The next round of commenting is now open

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Liz Truss has launched her Tory leadership bid by promising to cut tax from “day one” in office, declaring it is time to get back to Conservative values.

Telegraph blog
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,198

HYUFD said:

For @Scott_xP

(The National; €)

You’d still be saying that if support for Scottish independence was 60%+, which seems to be the objective of current Conservative policy.
    Don't be ridiculous, Stuart. Surely even you don't think there's an objective to current Conservative policy?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

New thread

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

THREE Tory leadership hopefuls reveal policy plans in @Telegraph

* Liz Truss goes public with bid, vowing “day one” tax cuts

* Zahawi signals cuts to corp tax, income tax, biz rates

* Morduant: *halve* fuel VAT, raise i-tax thresholds

All desperate to give the economy the full stepmom.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    dixiedean said:

Truss declares says BBC.
    Ten.

Truss will quickly unravel if she does get through - particularly in the debates. You heard it here first
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Candidates falling over themselves to cause a run on the £ frankly.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

Gove backing Badenoch?!

Didn’t see that coming.

In light of this, is there a candidate left who hasn't been backed by at least one certifiable nutter?
    There are just so many nutters in the parliamentary party, now that they are “Bluekip”.

Nutter for nutter, I think they now outclass Labour which is a historic feat.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    As a rentier, I can’t fucking wait for my tax cuts. Gimme gimme gimme.

The poor can do one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,591

We know enough already. When even Jeremy Hunt and Tom Tugendhat - supposed to be the sane wing of the party - feel they have to continue with the looniest Boris policies such as the NI Protocol Bill and Rwanda, it's clear that the party isn't yet on speaking terms with reality. Labour can safely sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

I predict the Tories will be back in the lead in the polls fairly soon after the new leader is selected, provided it isn't Patel or Braverman.
  • Options
    Braverman to back BadEnoch Powell and we have a Spartan/looney/wokewarrior in the final 2?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,591
    Scott_xP said:

Tory donor Lord Cruddas backs @pritipatel for PM. I understand the Home Secretary is likely to decide tomorrow whether she will run for leader or not. https://twitter.com/peteratcmc/status/1546225095386988549

Leaving it a bit late.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    edited July 2022
    Roger said:

Have we done this? Could be huge..

Kate Ferguson
    @kateferguson4
    TOP EXCL in today's Paper
    Tory big beast (and king maker?) @michaelgove BACKS @KemiBadenoch to be the next Tory leader and PM.

Writing for @TheSun he says Kemi has the "right stuff" to lead the UK

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1546219768411209729

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19155009/gove-backs-badenoch-tory-leadership/

He wants to be Prince Regent
    He is definitely Airey Neave to her Maggie. Perhaps he will do the same thing as Neave - tell everyone that Kemi must get substantial support in the early stages or it will look terrible for the party. Then once she starts really performing, it all becomes about how great she could be.

Must be the most heavy-hitting endorsement anyone has received so far. Will Boris support a candidate?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

I don’t know enough about Badenoch but she seems to be gaining momentum

Is she any good?

She's very sound on identity politics/BLM/CRT etc.

The endorsement by Neil O'Brien worries me, though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

MikeL said:

Maggie Throup for Zahawi who is now astonishingly in 4th place - though it's very close and numbers are all incredibly low compared to what will be needed.

Sunak - 34
    Mordaunt - 21
    Tugendhat - 16
    Zahawi - 14
    Truss - 13
    Hunt - 13
    Badenoch - 13
    Patel -12
    Braverman - 10
    Javid - 10
    Shapps - 8

It seems to me that it's going to boil down to who will be more transfer friendly - Mordaunt or Truss.

Mordaunt

(Truss is a looney.)
    8 for Shapps 10 for braverman 12 for Patel 14 for Zahawi...why do you pick out 13 for Truss? (Though I agree she's a completely barking choice)
  • Options
    In the latest edition of what I’m now calling the Backyard Bard’s Cucumber Chronicles, I’ve cooked some calamari (from frozen squid rings) to go with my abundance of cucumber salad

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,225
    Applicant said:

I don’t know enough about Badenoch but she seems to be gaining momentum

Is she any good?

She's very sound on identity politics/BLM/CRT etc.

The endorsement by Neil O'Brien worries me, though.
    i.e. she wants to carry on the culture war shite
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    I've been busy.

Has a sane candidate for Tory leader put themselves forward yet?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

I've been busy.

Has a sane candidate for Tory leader put themselves forward yet?

Patel is the sanest candidate, in my view. Its the only 'continuity Boris' candidate. Not as charismatic but less of a liar, and would be less extravagant in public spending. Same crap policies. Would be like electing Major after Thatcher. A safe pair of hands, ha ha. Also she is an 'ethnic minority', so would be a progressive choice in that respect. Will prolong the culture war. Incompetence as usual. She is severely underpriced, in my view.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited July 2022
    I can't understand why Patel isn't in the lead. Top office of state, and a vast amount of experience - and a brilliant political operative, she keeps surviving and thriving after every type of scandal. It seems like she just doesn't have any supporters amongst MP's. Its hard to understand why the tory party reject this talent. She would be politically popular in the red wall and could also hold up the blue wall.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited July 2022
    First Leadership Debate - Sky News - Monday 18 July

Host: Kay Burley
This discussion has been closed.