Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is eminently beatable – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Video fun

https://twitter.com/ConorGogarty/status/1545836970307424256

extended rishi working class clip

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1545837675554422786

Braverman declines to ID ERG members
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Let me sketch again what I witnessed in Rose, Montenegro

It’s a sizeable, very pretty seaside village, with one large resort hotel, several smaller hotels, a little marina, water sports, half a dozen bustling bars and restaurants. I imagine in winter it is deeply quiet but on a summer Sunday it was rammed with tourists, with people parked all the way up the hill behind

The beaches were crowded but I wasn’t on a beach, I was 20 metres away in a big well-known seafood restaurant which was also rammed with lunchers and drinkers, mainly Montenegrin/Croatian/Serb tourists but I heard some Germans, French etc

The table next to me was hosting a crowd of people in their late 20s. One by one they got up to head off, mostly to go swimming (I saw them). They were gone 40 minutes at least (by that time I had to go myself, so they might have been gone for much longer), they left behind everything, quite casually: phones, bags, purses, money, sunnies, everything (as the picture shows)

I do not believe you would do this in a big pub in a crowded holiday village anywhere in the UK, nor anywhere I know in the rest of Western Europe, with the POSSIBLE exception of Switzerland. No one leaves behind their phone in a big bustling bar for 40 minutes (minimum). It is not a thing

I reckon you could do it in Newent. Apart from Foley Road, of course.

*grabs tinfoil hat and ducks*
    How many ducks can you grab at once?
    Almost as many as you would find on Newent Lake.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201

Tobias Ellwood endorses Zahawi.

I had a vague sense that Tobias Ellwood was a hallway sensible Tory, and he's just gone and dispelled that.

This is shaping up to be a rather bizarre contest.
    Isn't it? Who knows, if they totally stuff it up, it might be the last one.
  • Options

Yokes said:

I did reckon earlier this week that there was going to be an incoming hatchet job on Zahawi. Is the leak that HMRC are looking into him it or is their more?

I'd bet on more

I’m amazed that HMRC investigating the incumbent Chancellor hasn’t gained more traction in the media.
    It appears he has denied the HMRC are investigating him
    Not instantly clear how he would know. no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Quick heatwave from hell weather model update.

Lovers of cool conditions will be relieved that the latest GFS run no longer models 3 days above 40C next weekend like thd one earlier today. It merely hits a fresh 39C next Monday.

The met office model has gone somewhat the other way, to hotter conditions, as has the Canadian one. We wait to see what the European model shows.

BOO. I was quite looking forward to the drama of 40C

Oh well. 39C will have to do
    There's a plume of hot air that is forecast to graze the south coast. It only needs to come a little bit further north, or stay a bit further south, and it will make a big difference. This could still go either way.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    IshmaelZ said:

Video fun

God it is CRINGE

Someone in that thread compares it to this, which is also brilliant

https://twitter.com/shiftytherat1/status/1546184781720948736?s=21&t=zAdi8_6CEJ3YV2bvCCdcZw
  • Options

Yokes said:

I did reckon earlier this week that there was going to be an incoming hatchet job on Zahawi. Is the leak that HMRC are looking into him it or is their more?

I'd bet on more

I’m amazed that HMRC investigating the incumbent Chancellor hasn’t gained more traction in the media.
    It appears he has denied the HMRC are investigating him
    More dirty tricks? They really are an unlovely crew. *popcorn*
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Video fun

God it is CRINGE

Someone in that thread compares it to this, which is also brilliant

https://twitter.com/shiftytherat1/status/1546184781720948736?s=21&t=zAdi8_6CEJ3YV2bvCCdcZw
    Outstanding
  • Options
    Someone, OK Boris, is doing a clever deconstruction of Sunak, releasing all this stuff drip by drip
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Lovers of cool conditions will be relieved that the latest GFS run no longer models 3 days above 40C next weekend like thd one earlier today. It merely hits a fresh 39C next Monday.

The met office model has gone somewhat the other way, to hotter conditions, as has the Canadian one. We wait to see what the European model shows.

Downgrade of the heat as we approach...
    The 06z was a big upgrade on last night, and the ensembles continue to push higher. Get that hat ready and seasoned.
    I’m ready for tasty hat, but still don’t expect it to reach 40.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Tom Tugendhat leaps to third place in Tory MPs endorsements behind Sunak and Mordaunt after Karen
    Bradley's backing

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1546162976104878081?s=20&t=6s-mAMl327v6ChyfYsFZWA

I think this is starting to shape up very, very badly for the conservatives.

The members are going to get a choice of tweedle dum or tweedle dee from the left of the party. Sunak plus one.

I think the Conservatives would be mad to pick anyone other than Morduant. She's bright, articulate, and supported Brexit (but isn't mad).

The Spectator tried to find the policies she is running on.

There aren't any. Just platitudes.
    It's been a winning strategy for many people who then became PM.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Tom Tugendhat leaps to third place in Tory MPs endorsements behind Sunak and Mordaunt after Karen
    Bradley's backing

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1546162976104878081?s=20&t=6s-mAMl327v6ChyfYsFZWA

The members are going to get a choice of tweedle dum or tweedle dee from the left of the party. Sunak plus one.

Making sure the members don't get the chance to go off at a tangent is the whole point of the system. Sadly it went wrong last time, but only because the very many 'never Johnson' MPs relented after May ran out of road.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Leon said:

Er…. Ruth Davidson is suddenly fourth favourite for Next PM, at 5/1?

Looks like a glitch between Smarkets and Oddschecker. Anyway, here are Betfair's latest prices.

2.7 Rishi Sunak
    4.6 Penny Mordaunt
    6 Liz Truss
    20 Jeremy Hunt
    21 Tom Tugendhat
    23 Sajid Javid
    40 Dominic Raab
    40 Kemi Badenoch
    40 Suella Braverman
    44 Nadhim Zahawi
    100 Priti Patel
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

I am very surprised at the rise in numbers for Patel. For an undeclared candidate, she is doing very well

Obviously concern the declared candidates are not tough enough on refugees.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    A senior Whitehall official gets in touch about Morduant and the maternity bill. “She fought AGAINST the change to ‘women’. The way she’s trying to rewrite history to suit her is despicable. While she’s supposedly campaigning on character and values. can’t believe the hypocrisy”

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1546158477738971138?s=21&t=XNSlpfCF7_uMWYNStkmj3w
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

I think Rishi is very transfer unfriendly.
    It’s possible he won’t even make the final two.

I’d love it if we got Penny v Kemi
    Another woman is the surest way to draw a line under the spoiled public schoolboy era just gone.
  • Options

A senior Whitehall official gets in touch about Morduant and the maternity bill. “She fought AGAINST the change to ‘women’. The way she’s trying to rewrite history to suit her is despicable. While she’s supposedly campaigning on character and values. can’t believe the hypocrisy”

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1546158477738971138?s=21&t=XNSlpfCF7_uMWYNStkmj3w

Blue is certainly not The Warmest Colour right now.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    A willingness to support the “necessity doctrine” to over-rule international agreements is the “I will prorogue parliament” of this contest.

Fundamentally dishonest, and ordinarily should be sufficient to disqualify you, but necessary to get through to the party.
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

The 06z was a big upgrade on last night, and the ensembles continue to push higher. Get that hat ready and seasoned.
    The UK absolute heat record has been broken at least twice in 20 years. The last was 2019, and it reached 38.7C

40C is not completely outlandish. It will probably be attained in the next ten years
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    OllyT said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Bradley's backing

Perhaps the MPs have wised up to the fact that they daren't give the members the opportunity to choose a loony
    The flaw in that plan is that there are a fair few that are barking mad in the Parliamentary party...
  • Options

The Remainer Establishment is scared of Mordaunt? Or maybe this is Rishi?

Not sure why Boris and Co would want to smear La Mord
  • Options
    Leon said:

It’s a sizeable, very pretty seaside village, with one large resort hotel, several smaller hotels, a little marina, water sports, half a dozen bustling bars and restaurants. I imagine in winter it is deeply quiet but on a summer Sunday it was rammed with tourists, with people parked all the way up the hill behind

The beaches were crowded but I wasn’t on a beach, I was 20 metres away in a big well-known seafood restaurant which was also rammed with lunchers and drinkers, mainly Montenegrin/Croatian/Serb tourists but I heard some Germans, French etc

The table next to me was hosting a crowd of people in their late 20s. One by one they got up to head off, mostly to go swimming (I saw them). They were gone 40 minutes at least (by that time I had to go myself, so they might have been gone for much longer), they left behind everything, quite casually: phones, bags, purses, money, sunnies, everything (as the picture shows)

I do not believe you would do this in a big pub in a crowded holiday village anywhere in the UK, nor anywhere I know in the rest of Western Europe, with the POSSIBLE exception of Switzerland. No one leaves behind their phone in a big bustling bar for 40 minutes (minimum). It is not a thing

The Wikipedia article you posted says that there are only 10 people who live in Rose off season, (Montenegro is pretty small, of course) which may not challenge your thinking, but which does suggest that the village is mostly incomers at this time of year. Estonia is also pretty small (though more than twice the size of MNE) and similar levels of trust seem to apply here. Trust societies are so much more pleasent to live in.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    On the holiday snaps front: Residential Houseboats in Bembridge Harbour.

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Will Chris Pincher be eligible to vote?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Yokes said:

I'd bet on more

Ya dancer.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think Rishi is very transfer unfriendly.
    It’s possible he won’t even make the final two.

I’d love it if we got Penny v Kemi
    Another woman is the surest way to draw a line under the spoiled public schoolboy era just gone.
    That is, of course exactly what they said about TMay.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Hasn't he had the whip removed? Though presumably is still a member of the party.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    The most likely possibility is that the Tory party do worse without Johnson rather than better.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    franklyn said:

Edit: no; Pincher had the whip removed. E2A so no vote as an MP but can probably still vote in the runoff as a party member.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

The UK absolute heat record has been broken at least twice in 20 years. The last was 2019, and it reached 38.7C

40C is not completely outlandish. It will probably be attained in the next ten years
    It would be excellent for my tomatoes.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

The accompanying drought won't be good for anyone's tomatoes.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

The Wikipedia article you posted says that there are only 10 people who live in Rose off season, (Montenegro is pretty small, of course) which may not challenge your thinking, but which does suggest that the village is mostly incomers at this time of year. Estonia is also pretty small (though more than twice the size of MNE) and similar levels of trust seem to apply here. Trust societies are so much more pleasent to live in.
    Eastern Europe is doing much better at retaining that high trust cohesiveness. And it’s not *just* smallness. It helps to be ethnically and culturally homogenous. If you know everyone around and they all know you, it is much harder to get away with crime. And if you are also probably related to the person you steal from or reliant on them in some way, that is another big disincentive for crime

Big transient individualistic multicultural “western” societies have much more crime

The one outlier is possibly Switzerland? Which has very low crime, yet is not smal, and is quite individualistic (but also officious) and multicultural and multiracial. Perhaps it is so rich no one needs to steal? or maybe it is Calvinism

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    Leon said:

Someone, OK Boris, is doing a clever deconstruction of Sunak, releasing all this stuff drip by drip

There are several reasons he got to the top, despite his disadvantages. One of the important ones was always cornered-rat-chewing-off-its-own-leg ruthlessness. Even if it's now futile, he's not going to change now.

(And it's not futile in his head, is it? He's not been deposed, he is merely suffering temporary exile, awaiting the call of his nation when it will truly need him...)
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

The most likely possibility is that the Tory party do worse without Johnson rather than better.

Not most likely but there is a theory that Boris gives (or gave) the party both its highest ceiling and its lowest floor, so without him there'd be a narrow win or loss but with him, there could be a landslide for one party or other.
  • Options

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    Given she is actually ineligible, those odds are still way, waaaay too short.
  • Options

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    Leon was sort-of right. Oddschecker did indeed briefly show 5/1 Ruth Davidson from Smarkets and SBK (which is also Smarkets).
  • Options

biggles said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

The accompanying drought won't be good for anyone's tomatoes.
    Hosepipe. Dead of night when no one’s looking.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    Dehenna?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Monkeys said:

Not most likely but there is a theory that Boris gives (or gave) the party both its highest ceiling and its lowest floor, so without him there'd be a narrow win or loss but with him, there could be a landslide for one party or other.
    He can still help deliver the lowest floor without being PM.
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73
    A new office is being created in 10 Downing street.

It will be known as the 'Futility Room'.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Eastern Europe is doing much better at retaining that high trust cohesiveness. And it’s not *just* smallness. It helps to be ethnically and culturally homogenous. If you know everyone around and they all know you, it is much harder to get away with crime. And if you are also probably related to the person you steal from or reliant on them in some way, that is another big disincentive for crime

Big transient individualistic multicultural “western” societies have much more crime

The one outlier is possibly Switzerland? Which has very low crime, yet is not smal, and is quite individualistic (but also officious) and multicultural and multiracial. Perhaps it is so rich no one needs to steal? or maybe it is Calvinism

There are lots of places where you *can* leave your bag, and it is 99.9% likely to be safe.

But very few people are willing to do so.

You can be sitting at a bar at a hotel in Vegas, and you can leave your bag or smartphone while you go to the toilet, because nobody in their right minds would attempt to steal in a place where security is so ubiquitious.

In many rural places, you can leave a bag, because they are such small communities, that you literally know every single person that is likely to pass.

I've always found the Middle East - Dubai, Saudi, Iran and Israel - to be places where you can leave your possessions, and find they are fine.

But would you do it at a bar in New York or London or Sydney or even Tokyo? Nope.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have taught the hound to pose on benches. In the local Commonwealth War Graves cemetery

He looks cute, but hot
    She does get very hot in this weather, but at this time in the evening we can do about 80% of the walk in the shade. She pants quite a lot, but when I take a bottle of water and a bowl with us (as today) she never drinks it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Talinn these days is pretty international, and is defintely multi-ethnic, and yet still manages to be very high trust.
  • Options
    The sun was actually IN my backyard this morning

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

The one outlier is possibly Switzerland? Which has very low crime, yet is not smal, and is quite individualistic (but also officious) and multicultural and multiracial.
    Perhaps it is so rich no one needs to steal? or maybe it is Calvinism

I can absolutely assure you that you would never leave your belongings unattended in a bar or cafe in Geneva - even though supremely Calvinistic.

You have to be careful with your belongings in your pockets there yet alone on the table.

All my female friends there would have to be very careful with their bags whilst out to ensure they were safely under the table even when we were sitting there.

It’s the only place I’ve ever been mugged (attempted as my friend and I delivered a beating to the two muggers) and I had a friend there who had been mugged five times in three years living there.

I would think that other larger cities in Switzerland are similar so it’s not the bucolic land of people respecting the law you might think.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

The sun was actually IN my backyard this morning

He forgot his hat.
  • Options
    junius said:

When is the office warming party?
  • Options
    junius said:

I tried that but it was a complete washout.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

There are lots of places where you *can* leave your bag, and it is 99.9% likely to be safe.

But very few people are willing to do so..

You can be sitting at a bar at a hotel in Vegas, and you can leave your bag or smartphone while you go to the toilet, because nobody in their right minds would attempt to steal in a place where security is so ubiquitious.

In many rural places, you can leave a bag, because they are such small communities, that you literally know every single person that is likely to pass.

I've always found the Middle East - Dubai, Saudi, Iran and Israel - to be places where you can leave your possessions, and find they are fine.

But would you do it at a bar in New York or London or Sydney or even Tokyo? Nope.
    This is the first time I've experienced this level of trust in a bustling resort in Europe, it is pretty rare

I wonder if the legacy of communism is at work? Capitalism (billionaire playgrounds apart) is weaker here. The profit motive not so apparent. eg Tipping (which we have discussed before). Tipping is almost non-existent in Montenegro. They don't work for tips, and they definitely don't expect them. I've tried to tip waiters with cards but they can't be arsed with the faff and they visibly sigh, so I've given up

They are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They have the ebullience of the Italians with the dark humour of the Russians with the amazing looks of all the eastern Slavs and the warm generosity of most people in small neglected countries. They enjoy life but they really want you to enjoy it too. Zero arrogance

They can seem blunt and rude but I've realised it's just their way of speaking, they are loud and direct, and if you show that you are feeling offended they become stricken with guilt

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    She could be PM from the Lords, in theory at least.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Truss has been progressively shortening all weekend, ever so slowly. She was at 5.8 about 30 minutes ago.

I find that interesting. There's no particular evidence in the public domain for this. So either someone knows something, and she's about to reveal 30 backers out of a hat and an eye-catching launch video, or this is pure anticipation built on sand.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Priti Patel expected to enter Tory leadership contest as ‘authentic’ Brexiteer who can win

She’s in talks with ERG but is likely to go for it - means she’ll be fighting with Liz Truss and Suella Braverman for support of Tory right

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a0050d70-0066-11ed-809e-d123192dfb7c?shareToken=fa5242ae6aa9db2c2ec05ec3ca8c4c30
  • Options

Truss has been progressively shortening all weekend, ever so slowly. She was at 5.8 about 30 minutes ago.

I find that interesting. There's no particular evidence in the public domain for this. So either someone knows something, and she's about to reveal 30 backers out of a hat and an eye-catching launch video, or this is pure anticipation built on sand.

I think she missed the boat whilst on the plane.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Foxy said:

franklyn said:

Hasn't he had the whip removed? Though presumably is still a member of the party.
    "Will Chris Pincher be eligible to vote.
    Hasn't he had the whip removed?"

That's funny!

• Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

The one outlier is possibly Switzerland? Which has very low crime, yet is not smal, and is quite individualistic (but also officious) and multicultural and multiracial.

I can absolutely assure you that you would never leave your belongings unattended in a bar or cafe in Geneva - even though supremely Calvinistic.

You have to be careful with your belongings in your pockets there yet alone on the table.

All my female friends there would have to be very careful with their bags whilst out to ensure they were safely under the table even when we were sitting there.

It’s the only place I’ve ever been mugged (attempted as my friend and I delivered a beating to the two muggers) and I had a friend there who had been mugged five times in three years living there.

I would think that other larger cities in Switzerland are similar so it’s not the bucolic land of people respecting the law you might think.

Fair enough!

I have been to Switzerland a lot and always felt remarkably safe, but that's interesting to hear
  • Options
    Worth revisiting this from Dom a week ago...

When u sit in reshuffle mtngs it's normal to go down a list like:
    Pervert
    Under investigation by NCA (he doesn't know)
    Drunk
    Sex pest
    Sex pest
    Dodgy donors
    Yes she's ok but she's useless
    Moron
    Moron
    He's Ok
    Sex pest
    She's actually good [laughter]
    Dodgepot...
    etc

Now this

Striking how precise some of the language in Zahawi’s statement is. For example: “I have never used offshore companies or services firms based in tax havens for the purchase of property or properties in the UK.”
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1546196148414709760
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Scott_xP said:

Priti Patel expected to enter Tory leadership contest as ‘authentic’ Brexiteer who can win

She’s in talks with ERG but is likely to go for it - means she’ll be fighting with Liz Truss and Suella Braverman for support of Tory right

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a0050d70-0066-11ed-809e-d123192dfb7c?shareToken=fa5242ae6aa9db2c2ec05ec3ca8c4c30

Split the Right!!! Hurrah.

Are any of these splitters actually secretly working for one the leading contenders to somehow split the vote? Reward is big job?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    But she can't be party leader from the Lords.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pervert
    Drunk
    Sex pest
    Sex pest
    Dodgy donors
    Moron
    Moron
    He's Ok
    Sex pest
    Dodgepot...
    etc

Now this

Striking how precise some of the language in Zahawi’s statement is. For example: “I have never used offshore companies or services firms based in tax havens for the purchase of property or properties in the UK.”

He doesn't do self-awareness, does he?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The smart candidate will not be wasting time on slick public videos this week it’s all about signing up MPs and developing momentum for the ballot. Obviously we do not know if Truss is doing this, but it’s pretty clear she is not eating time on Sunday chat shows or glossy videos. That comes later.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

I have lost my wallet, containing plenty of cash, three times.

Once, on the public transport system in Bonn. I recovered it 24 hours later from lost property, with all the money. An upstanding German citizen had handed it in.

Second, in a bar in Zurich. I recovered it 24 hours later from the bar, with all the money. I had dropped it in a drunken stupor. An upstanding Swiss citizen had handed it in to the bar owner.

Third, in an Oxford College. I got the wallet back all right ... but on this occasion, none of the cash.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

I have been to Switzerland a lot and always felt remarkably safe, but that's interesting to hear
    There's a massive rural / urban split in most countries. If you are in a small village in Switzerland, then you could probably leave your possessions on a table in a restaraunt for hours without worry. But at a crowded bar in Geneva, not a chance.

And, fwiw, the only time I've been with someone who got pickpocketed, it was in Poland. I've heard some horror stories about Prague too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    The betting market mentioned is next PM.

Not that it is going to happen!

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Pervert
    Drunk
    Sex pest
    Sex pest
    Dodgy donors
    Moron
    Moron
    He's Ok
    Sex pest
    Dodgepot...
    etc

Now this

He doesn't do self-awareness, does he?
    He is about to become complete irrelevant. Give him space to mourn. Ok, let’s not.

He’s also made it clear no one should trust him to keep a confidence once he stops working for them, which is sort of essential in his old line of work.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!
    I have been to Switzerland a lot and always

I felt remarkably safe, but that's interesting to hear
    Geneva can be quite grim. Unfortunately from a very identifiable group who live there.

I will never forget the look of relief on a very beautiful blonde English friend when she saw me walking towards her as she was surrounded by a group of about twenty chaps who were just standing there in a circle round her terrifying her. To escort her away to safety was luck and she still says to this day she has no idea what she would have done to get out of the situation on her own.

Berne felt very safe but it’s all a bit toytown. Zürich always seemed like Geneva but not as bad in the centre.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    boulay said:

I don't think that's right. Sunak has lost momentum already. She only needs to match his level of support and her odds will tighten further.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huh? Davidson is 500/1
    The betting market mentioned is next PM.

Not that it is going to happen!

Thing is, while I can imagine a member of the Lords might become PM for a short time if Johnson goes early and May and Raab refuse the gig. But Davidson would hardly be the first choice ahead of the likes of Hague or Hammond.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

I think it very much depends where in Switzerland, or even where in Geneva, you are. Rich places attract professional thieves, and there are certainly groups operating in places like Geneva. But the villages outside - I never once locked my house or car in 3 years.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    If Priti Patel wins I think I'll throw my rifle into the hedge and go home.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437

Tactically it would make sense to pop up with a large number of backers after a weekend of ‘noise’. Is Liz Truss that tactically astute? Perhaps…

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    rcs1000 said:

Patel - moderate buy. She's 100-1 for Chrissake. If she stands, she might well go far.

It might create some confusion about whether she was standin' or stand-in.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

I have lost my wallet, containing plenty of cash, three times.

Once, on the public transport system in Bonn. I recovered it 24 hours later from lost property, with all the money. An upstanding German citizen had handed it in.

Second, in a bar in Zurich. I recovered it 24 hours later from the bar, with all the money. I had dropped it in a drunken stupor. An upstanding Swiss citizen had handed it in to the bar owner.

Third, in an Oxford College. I got the wallet back all right ... but on this occasion, none of the cash.
    I once found a dropped wallet in a hotel near Welwyn garden city. Absolutely rammed with notes, more than I’d ever seen. No one around. Huge temptation to find an empty wallet and hand it in.
    I did not take any cash, and handed it in. The right thing to do.
  • Options

If Priti Patel wins I think I'll throw my rifle into the hedge and go home.

Despite loathing the lying clown I have always been worried the membership might elect someone whose turns out to be worse.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!
    I have been to Switzerland a lot and always

I felt remarkably safe, but that's interesting to hear
    Geneva can be quite grim. Unfortunately from a very identifiable group who live there.

I will never forget the look of relief on a very beautiful blonde English friend when she saw me walking towards her as she was surrounded by a group of about twenty chaps who were just standing there in a circle round her terrifying her. To escort her away to safety was luck and she still says to this day she has no idea what she would have done to get out of the situation on her own.

Berne felt very safe but it’s all a bit toytown. Zürich always seemed like Geneva but not as bad in the centre.

Fuck knows why the Montenegrins want to join the EU

They are doing just fine, considering. They have such a beautiful sunny country with a tiny population they can make squillions as is. Meanwhile they seem as happy and content as anyone. if they join the EU they will have to open their precious borders to Free Movement and then they might easily import the problems of "inequality" that you describe in Geneva

Right now they have almost zero minor/violent crime - the crime that really frightens people

It's difficult to comprehend how idyllic it is until you come here
  • Options

boulay said:

I don't think that's right. Sunak has lost momentum already. She only needs to match his level of support and her odds will tighten further.
    S Times says she is not launching until Tuesday.

• Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

I think it very much depends where in
    Switzerland, or even where in Geneva, you are. Rich places attract professional
    thieves, and there are certainly groups operating in places like Geneva. But the
    villages outside - I never once locked my house or car in 3 years.
    I wouldn’t even do it in the villages outside Geneva. I lived in Cologny and Corsier Port - so nice communes outside the city for those who understandably don’t know the place - and there was a problem with people - especially coming over the uncontrolled borders to hit people who thought they could do exactly that and get away easily sadly.

• Options
    💰 £13bn! £39bn! £49bn!

The huge tax pledges of Liz Truss, Jeremy Hunt and Sajid Javid are going to be expensive - with few explanations of how it’s going to be paid for. All part of their plans to win MPs.

@FinancialTimes analysis with @ChrisGiles_ https://www.ft.com/content/11e6a49b-ec21-405d-8bf9-8644c4042d4e

They are going to trash each other to try and get the gig. Labour will just watch and laugh
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

The safest place to leave your belongings when you wander away from your seat is at a county championship cricket match.

For 40 years now I have wandered off to the bar, leaving all my stuff on my seat.
    The other spectator has never stolen anything.
    To be fair, she is your wife.
    Ha - no chance. But what I write is true - at 4-day championship cricket, most folk just leave their stuff on their seat without any worries when they wander off.
  • Options
    boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

thieves, and there are certainly groups operating in places like Geneva. But the
    I wouldn’t even do it in the villages outside Geneva. I lived in Cologny and Corsier Port - so nice communes outside the city for those who understandably don’t know the place - and there was a problem with people - especially coming over the uncontrolled borders to hit people who thought they could do exactly that and get away easily sadly.

You mean literally assault? As in "hit"?
  • Options
    Best anthem duel of the Euros so far...
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

I left in 1990, so my data is clearly outdated (outdata-ed?)
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2022

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

The safest place to leave your belongings when you wander away from your seat is at a county championship cricket match.

For 40 years now I have wandered off to the bar while at the proper cricket, leaving all my stuff on my seat.

The other spectator has never stolen anything.
    I've regularly left my laptop/phones/credit cards in a bag unattended in pubs all over London with no ill effects. Granted normally in some sort of reserved area
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

Sorry no (I clearly need writing lessons from you) - I meant come into the communes and break in, burgle, houses and cars etc. then they could be back into France in about four minutes.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

Sorry no (I clearly need writing lessons from you) - I meant come into the communes and break in, burgle, houses and cars etc. then they could be back into France in about four minutes.
    Merci. Is this why Switzerland wants to end Free Movement, in part?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022
    I've just heard the latest from the candidates.......

Being completely objective I would rule them out as follows. Anyone who served in Johnson's Cabinet has disqualified themselves. In the next several months Johnson and all his works are going to unravel and close association will make the leader a hostage to fortune

The Cabinet all look culpable to different degrees. From the nodding donkeys 'He got the big calls right' to the feeble minded. That rules out roughly in order Zahawi Braverman Shapps and Truss. Followed closely by Javid and Sunak.

Then Mordaunt and Tugendhat and finally Hunt

So first choice Hunt second Hugendhat and third Mordaunt.

• Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

I left in 1990, so my data is clearly outdated (outdata-ed?)
    But thinking about it, whether a place is trustworthy or not probably is mostly dependent on your perceptions/fears than anything else.

If a 100 people read an article about one crime in their neighborhood and stop trusting, 100% of those people think the place is untrustworthy. If 100 of the people ignore that story or don't hear it a trust, and only 1 of them gets robbed, then 99% of them still think the place is trustworthy.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

But very few people are willing to do so..

This is the first time I've experienced this level of trust in a bustling resort in Europe, it is pretty rare

I wonder if the legacy of communism is at work? Capitalism (billionaire playgrounds apart) is weaker here. The profit motive not so apparent. eg Tipping (which we have discussed before). Tipping is almost non-existent in Montenegro. They don't work for tips, and they definitely don't expect them. I've tried to tip waiters with cards but they can't be arsed with the faff and they visibly sigh, so I've given up

They are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They have the ebullience of the Italians with the dark humour of the Russians with the amazing looks of all the eastern Slavs and the warm generosity of most people in small neglected countries. They enjoy life but they really want you to enjoy it too. Zero arrogance

They can seem blunt and rude but I've realised it's just their way of speaking, they are loud and direct, and if you show that you are feeling offended they become stricken with guilt

Sounds similar to Albania. We had a really fantastic holiday there a few years back. Some of the nicest people, great weather and beautiful scenery and beaches. Very child friendly.
  • Options
    And speaking of @SuellaBraverman thanks as ever to @secrettory12 for this “Suella Braverman -the UK’s first no-win-no-fee attorney general, she has yet to collect a fee”
    https://twitter.com/NickyHorne/status/1546166009975001094
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

💰 £13bn! £39bn! £49bn!

The huge tax pledges of Liz Truss, Jeremy Hunt and Sajid Javid are going to be expensive - with few explanations of how it’s going to be paid for. All part of their plans to win MPs.

@FinancialTimes analysis with @ChrisGiles_ https://www.ft.com/content/11e6a49b-ec21-405d-8bf9-8644c4042d4e

They are going to trash each other to try and get the gig. Labour will just watch and laugh

You become PM by making the wild promises, then appoint your choice of Chancellor to figure out how to deliver it all on your behalf...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Well Tallinn is pretty multi national and the turnover of people in the tech sector is pretty rapid. I think it is more a Scandi/Lutheran thing that honesty is just kind of expected. We has our summer last week, but bits of Estonia can be pretty idyllic and Tallinn of course is a blast.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Fair enough!

Sorry no (I clearly need writing lessons
    from you) - I meant come into the communes and break in, burgle, houses and cars etc. then they could be back into France in about four minutes.
    Merci. Is this why Switzerland wants to end Free Movement, in part?
    I doubt that’s the reason as it’s quite handy living somewhere expensive where you can go across millions of tiny unmanned borders and shop in French supermarkets for next to nothing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    "Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies think-tank, said the scale of the pledges by several of the candidates would not be straightforward to fund. “Everyone would like lower taxes but [the candidates] need to be clear about consequences,” he said."

The FT.

This is known as the triumph of hope over experience
This discussion has been closed.