Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As big dog Gromit quits Wallace is who Tory members want to replace him – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited July 2022 in General
As big dog Gromit quits Wallace is who Tory members want to replace him – politicalbetting.com

Boris Johnson confirms he will appoint a new cabinet and continue as PM until a new Conservative leader is elected.Election timetable will be announced next week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    I would politely urge the Conservative party to a v quick succession process. We need a working administration at speed.

This Winter will be catastrophic, pushing millions into poverty with typical energy bills rising to £3,000/yr. We need leaders in office taking action asap.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2022
    first not

the timetable is indefensible, expect SKS to vonc this afternoon
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2022
    That speech by Boris reminded me of Corbyn when he was ranting on about we won all yhr arguments during the election, i didn't get anything wrong.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    The gist of Boris's speech: the public are great for electing me; Tory MPs are pillocks.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    eek said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    I would politely urge the Conservative party to a v quick succession process. We need a working administration at speed.

This Winter will be catastrophic, pushing millions into poverty with typical energy bills rising to £3,000/yr. We need leaders in office taking action asap.

Utterly agree...get it done and get it done quick.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    The PM has made the right decision.

The Government under Boris's leadership had many achievements - delivering Brexit, vaccines and backing Ukraine.

We need calmness and unity now and to keep governing while a new leader is found.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1545010090977026050
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The herd that moved against him. Is it immune, by any chance?
  • Options

eek said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis

That's the thing - there are very important issues (mainly energy but even so) that need to be sorted out ASAP.

And Bozo and the rest of the clowns in cabinet are not in a position to make such decisions...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    I thought that was a dull speech. Not dignified, nor appalling, nor interesting.
    What am I missing?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

That speech by Boris reminded me of Corbyn when he was ranting on about we won all yhr arguments during the election, i didn't get anything wrong.

What did you honestly expect?

Those who hate Boris will hate the speech, etc etc
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    We will miss his charisma I think. A one off. And the Tories will miss his voters.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Now I can finally feel confident that he's going. Whatever comes next at least this chapter is over, thank goodness.
  • Options
    I would like to discuss now, the outcomes of the next election, not as a Labour fanboy but as somebody interested in betting.

I note the YouGov polling this morning which says all leadership candidates bar Wallace, have the public scoring as doing worse than good. A heavy caveat is that many are unknown.

I would support Wallace as PM, he seems a decent guy and has done well in Ukraine. I could not vote for this iteration of the Tory Party whilst people like Nadine are still around but I would have hope for its future with him at the helm. He scores well with the leadership, he surely must be a good contender.

Other than that Penny Morduant, who I confess I know little about, would also seem to be popular with the Tory Party. Perhaps others can speak more.

The next election then, will not be about personalities but instead possibly about policies. The difficulty for any Tory now is that without Johnson they will probably lose a large number of voters anyway who only voted for Johnson (albeit they dwindled). This new PM will have 13 years of Government to defend, a CoL crisis and rising bills and a possibly incoming recession.

I think my central estimate of a Hung Parliament remains fair - but a Labour majority and indeed Tory majority, is also not out of the question. I do not think we will see a large majority on either side.

It will be a repeat of 2015, or 2010, I think.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Not sure Wallace will get close to the top job.

Strongly suspect a woman will be seen the best to confront Starmer.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

I thought that was a dull speech. Not dignified, nor appalling, nor interesting.
    What am I missing?

The missing ingredient. He would be securely in office if he had been a bit duller over the past 2 years.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Wallace 3.9
    Sunak 6
    Mordaunt 8
    Truss 12
    Javid 14.5
    Hunt 21
    Zahawi 22
    Tugendhat 24
    Baker 27

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • Options
    biggles said:

We will miss his charisma I think. A one off. And the Tories will miss his voters.

Yes. We will. Especially if we get a duffer like Wallace

He's brought down by his own personal flaws, despite great talents; it is sad and it is a waste
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    @trussliz
    The PM has made the right decision.

The Government under Boris's leadership had many achievements - delivering Brexit, vaccines and backing Ukraine.

We need calmness and unity now and to keep governing while a new leader is found.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1545010090977026050
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177

I would like to discuss now, the outcomes of the next election, not as a Labour fanboy but as somebody interested in betting.

I note the YouGov polling this morning which says all leadership candidates bar Wallace, have the public scoring as doing worse than good. A heavy caveat is that many are unknown.

I would support Wallace as PM, he seems a decent guy and has done well in Ukraine. I could not vote for this iteration of the Tory Party whilst people like Nadine are still around but I would have hope for its future with him at the helm. He scores well with the leadership, he surely must be a good contender.

Other than that Penny Morduant, who I confess I know little about, would also seem to be popular with the Tory Party. Perhaps others can speak more.

The next election then, will not be about personalities but instead possibly about policies. The difficulty for any Tory now is that without Johnson they will probably lose a large number of voters anyway who only voted for Johnson (albeit they dwindled). This new PM will have 13 years of Government to defend, a CoL crisis and rising bills and a possibly incoming recession.

I think my central estimate of a Hung Parliament remains fair - but a Labour majority and indeed Tory majority, is also not out of the question. I do not think we will see a large majority on either side.

Certainly possible. But it depends on how mental the final 2 are.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Leon said:

What did you honestly expect?

Those who hate Boris will hate the speech, etc etc
    Politician resigning decides to highlight their personal successes in the role, how unusual.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    eek said:

eek said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis

That's the thing - there are very important issues (mainly energy but even so) that need to be sorted out ASAP.

And Bozo and the rest of the clowns in cabinet are not in a position to make such decisions...
    Summer recess starts two weeks from today. They'll need to be down to two candidates by then - and, of course, there's always the 2016 option of skipping the members' stage.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    pigeon said:

Now I can finally feel confident that he's going. Whatever comes next at least this chapter is over, thank goodness.

Have you got your fingers crossed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    As ever, it’s someone else’s fault. He blames “the Herd” - not himself. Mercifully there will be no Johnson supporters left….(apart from Nad & JRM).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Tory MPs queueing up to deliver the eulogies after stabbing him in the back... The chutzpah is incredible.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

What am I missing?

I found it fairly dull and anticlimactic too, somewhat boring.

I think those saying it was great or atrocious could have pre-written those messages before he even opened his mouth and that yawnfest came out.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Timetable announced next week, wants to be leader until election completed.

Both too slow by far.

If the conservatives mps have any sense they will arrange a coronation and new PM in two weeks
    Too many people want it. They'd need to agree a caretaker like May, to formally be leader unopposed, and hope she keeps word to stand down for a replacement.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202
    Sorry leader writer. Gromit is likeable. A sympathetic character.

Johnson isn't.
  • Options

Tory MPs queueing up to deliver the eulogies after stabbing him in the back... The chutzpah is incredible.

Someone here yesterday came up with the perfect epitaph for Boris:

Got the big calls right, treated the small calls with utter contempt.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Yes. We will. Especially if we get a duffer like Wallace

He's brought down by his own personal flaws, despite great talents; it is sad and it is a waste
    A waste... of space. Agreed.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,156
    Was that the Benny Hill theme playing in the background when Big Dog resigned?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Chris said:

CARRY ON BORIS

Starring:
    Hattie Jacques (in reverse drag) as Boris Johnson
    Sid James as Sir Keir Starmer
    Kenneth Williams as Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Barbara Windsor as Nadine Dorries
    Bernard Bresslaw as Dominic Raab

and anyone else anyone can be bothered to think of

And that resignation speech in full: "Infamy, infamy ..."
  • Options
    NEW from @IpsosUK : no clear winner in the public's eyes on who would make a good PM https://twitter.com/EmilyIpsosScot/status/1545011650826215424/photo/1
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    Gullis is as thick as a whale omelette!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

Fair comments Horse. I think a Labour led minority is certain. The only question for me is how many other parties they need to govern. I cannot see a majority either way at this stage
  • Options
    When will the first ballot be held?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW from @IpsosUK : no clear winner in the public's eyes on who would make a good PM https://twitter.com/EmilyIpsosScot/status/1545011650826215424/photo/1

I doubt the UK public even really know who most of the people are. We often over estimate the general public knowledge of politics, especially who does what job and if they are doing it well or not.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    Andrea Jenkyns just left Downing Street gates - screaming at public waiting outside

It was bizarre

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1545010154982281218
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    There’s a council by-election in my borough today: a traditional Conservative ward, but Labour won 1 councillor at the locals unexpectedly, so he didn’t take up his seat. Both Lab and LD in with a chance. I wonder how it will go in this atmosphere…

As for Wallace as the favourite to replace Johnson… Does anyone know anything about Wallace’s actual views? He seems like a cipher to me, people putting their hopes in him, but who knows how a leadership campaign will test him?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    The most extraordinary thing about that speech is that @Leon and @rcs1000 want to read the 500 page version of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Aaron Bell speaking on ITV.

He's backing Tom Tugendhat.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

CARRY ON BORIS

Starring:

Charles Hawtrey was made for the JRM role.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Johnson isn't.

I know, I know.

In his head he thinks he's like Gromit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

As ever, it’s someone else’s fault. He blames “the Herd” - not himself. Mercifully there will be no Johnson supporters left….(apart from Nad & JRM).

Don't leave certain PBers out of it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

TBF, most of them in the front, not back.

Though interesting comments from resigned junior ministers that the cabinet seriously let them down by failing (other than Sunak and the Saj) to take a lead.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Best guess, Friday 15th (it is a Commons sitting Friday) or Monday 18th, with a view to being down to two candidates by Thursday 21st latest.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

What am I missing?

I was expecting him to leave himself some wriggle room, but he did just enough to convince that he has accepted the inevitability of his position, and so my fears that he would try to play the Populist card to hang on were unfounded. So in some ways it's a bit anticlimactic.

All the whining he put in there was just the self-justification and myth-making that he was stabbed in the back, and the public were robbed of their glorious leader, that he will eat out on for the rest of his days.
  • Options

Got the biggest call (Brexit) wrong. Treated the voters with utter contempt.
    Implementing the biggest democratic vote in British history is treating the voters with utter contempt? OK then...
  • Options

I once had a whale pizza (in Iceland, the only country where it is or was legitimately legal). Wasn't much to write home about, wouldn't have it again.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    Chris said:

Chris said:

CARRY ON BORIS

Starring:

Surely Theresa Coffey is Hattie Jacques?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Andy_JS said:

It's supposed to be every Tuesday and Thursday, but they got a move on last time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Conservative_Party_leadership_election#MPs'_vote
  • Options

Andrea Jenkyns just left Downing Street gates - screaming at public waiting outside

It was bizarre

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1545010154982281218

Can't link to that when there's no video.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Not sure Wallace will get close to the top job.

Strongly suspect a woman will be seen the best to confront Starmer.

Truss and Pitel would be a disaster for the Tories though. I can't quite put my finger on why I feel Truss would go down like a lead balloon but I think it is her presence. She always seems like a lightweight mimicking a serious politician.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    Watching James Daley (Bury) being interviewed on bbc. What a top man. Tories need people like him in front line positions. Amusing, pleasant, sensible. Never seen or heard him before.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Did I just correctly hear Robert Peston saying that Ben Wallace is unlikely to be a candidate?

He's the favourite in the betting stakes and with the Tory Home survey.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

Best guess, Friday 15th (it is a Commons sitting Friday) or Monday 18th, with a view to being down to two candidates by Thursday 21st latest.
    But how many candidates? There were 10 last time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited July 2022
    Those are extremely good numbers for Wallace, beats Truss, Hunt, Sunak or Mordaunt by double digits and already over 50% with the membership v Hunt or Sunak.

Terrible numbers for the former Chancellor, even beaten by Liz Truss despite being favourite yesterday
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Andy_JS said:

Aaron Bell speaking on ITV.

He's backing Tom Tugendhat.

Because he thinks the MP for Tonbridge & Malling is especially dedicated to levelling up the north?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Good riddance to the wicked clown
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Implementing the biggest democratic vote in British history is treating the voters with utter contempt? OK then...
    Nope that was the 1992 election, more people voted in that the Brexit referendum.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

They will 100% be down to 2 by recess and no more than 4 weeks voting. Maximum caretaker run of 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Did I just correctly hear Robert Peston saying that Ben Wallace is unlikely to be a candidate?

HUZZZAHHHH
  • Options
    Steve Baker: a moment of great sorrrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Nail on then, get your mortgage on him being PM....
  • Options

Johnson isn't.

I know, I know.

In his head he thinks he's like Gromit.
    Rhymes with Gromit.
  • Options
    darkage said:

dixiedean said:

What am I missing?

Well, it was a long way from a Trump speech. He seems to accept the situation. Which is something.
    Boris's enablers don't give the same level of backing as Trump's. They have limits, which puts some on him.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

Cameron got that call wrong. The vote should never have happened.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Lots of nice messages from Ukrainians:

@GoncharenkoUa
    Dear @BorisJohnson ! Ukraine is infinitely grateful to you for everything you have done for us. You will forever remain in our history and will be involved in the future victory. Thank you.

https://twitter.com/GoncharenkoUa/status/1545012234044297221

@mrsorokaa
    ⚡️UK Prime Minister Johnson resigns.

Tangled in scandal back home, he’ll be remembered in Ukraine as a true friend and supporter of the country in its darkest hour.

https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1545011243878170624
  • Options
    A graceless twat to the very end

(or is it the end...?)
  • Options

You could not be more utterly wrong. The people who treated the voters with contempt were those who tried to overturn Brexit. Foremost amongst them SKS.

Boris listened to the calls to leave the EU - and acted. For that, he was rewarded with an 80 seat majority.

It was his casual relationship with the truth that did for him.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I doubt the UK public even really know who most of the people are. We often over estimate the general public knowledge of politics, especially who does what job and if they are doing it well or not.
    I read a quiz yesterday where one of the questions was "who is the current(*) MP for Witham and Home Secretary" and "who is the current MP for South-West Norfolk and Foreign Secretary" - only the first of these was got right at the first attempt (Amber Rudd was suggested for the latter).

(*) the blurb at the start of the quiz confirming the date that the answers were checked as accurate was slightly different...

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Boris staying on till later in August will not be a major issue for the electorate and there are only 2 weeks of parliament till recess. Everyone will settle down and let him flump along as a lame duck for 6 weeks crawling past May in time served
    Edit - he hasnt got time to get anything through of major controversy
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    The mood is about to shift. If Labour pushes a VONC in Boris it’ll potentially unite the Tory Party and put some fight back into them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Noa Hoffman
    @hoffman_noa
    ·
    16m
    Senior government source messages: "That speech was a fucking disgrace."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Andy_JS said:

Wallace 3.9
    Sunak 6
    Mordaunt 8
    Truss 12
    Javid 14.5
    Hunt 21
    Zahawi 22
    Tugendhat 24
    Baker 27

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234

Sell Sunak.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Taz said:

If the vote had not happened, the tory party would no longer exist.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

They will 100% be down to 2 by recess and no more than 4 weeks voting. Maximum caretaker run of 6 weeks.

I forget how this is done. Will there by hustings and debates and speeches?
  • Options

Lots of nice messages from Ukrainians:

@GoncharenkoUa
    Dear @BorisJohnson ! Ukraine is infinitely grateful to you for everything you have done for us. You will forever remain in our history and will be involved in the future victory. Thank you.

https://twitter.com/GoncharenkoUa/status/1545012234044297221

@mrsorokaa
    ⚡️UK Prime Minister Johnson resigns.

Tangled in scandal back home, he’ll be remembered in Ukraine as a true friend and supporter of the country in its darkest hour.

https://twitter.com/mrsorokaa/status/1545011243878170624

I still say give him a job coordinating our efforts with Ukraine - no complaints on that front
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

I once had a whale pizza (in Iceland, the only country where it is or was legitimately legal). Wasn't much to write home about, wouldn't have it again.
    Just you writing that has brought back memories of the putrified shark (that you may also have had while you were there?) which is one of the most revolting things I've ever eaten.
  • Options
    biggles said:

The mood is about to shift. If Labour pushes a VONC in Boris it’ll potentially unite the Tory Party and put some fight back into them.

Their position will be 'Look, we're sorting out our own mess right now, so we'll vote this down and a new leader will show you what's what'
  • Options
    boulay said:

Watching James Daley (Bury) being interviewed on bbc. What a top man. Tories need people like him in front line positions. Amusing, pleasant, sensible. Never seen or heard him before.

Someone I'd never seen or heard before until yesterday, who I thought was excellent, was Darren Jones the Labour MP.

Don't know much about him, mind.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Nope that was the 1992 election, more people voted in that the Brexit referendum.
    17.4 million is bigger than 14.1 million.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

They can change it every time (I am sure they changed it from the previous time) so forgetting is foigivable - if they want there to be time for such things they can do those I think.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    What was his snark about the protection police being the “one group who never leak”?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Taz said:

If the vote had not happened, the tory party would no longer exist.
    The whole point of the referendum was to bin it when a second coalition was required.

Then Osbourne screwed up the plan by winning a small majority.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Applicant said:

Weren't they both 33.6 million people? Albeit, 1992 was much higher turnout proportionately.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

Probably! I cant recall. Ideally we get to 2 in 2 weeks and they agree a 'deal' and hes gone at recess
  • Options
    boulay said:

What was his snark about the protection police being the “one group who never leak”?

Partygate?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A graceless twat to the very end

(or is it the end...?)

If I were a Tory I wouldn't trust a word he said, even in his resignation speech.

But it's their funeral. (Unless he really starts a nuclear war, in which case ...)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just you writing that has brought back memories of the putrified shark (that you may also have had while you were there?) which is one of the most revolting things I've ever eaten.
    "Hakarl"

Quite something. Also puffin - yeuchhh
  • Options

boulay said:

Partygate?
    More likely Kormagate. He was dying for a leak and couldn't have one.
  • Options

Applicant said:

And John Major secured more votes then than anyone before or since in British political history.

An inconvenient truth for HYUFD.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

He may have assessed that he doesn't want all the shit that goes with being PM. Could hardly blame him.

He could certainly get a big job with whoever the PM is, by swinging his support behind them. He may think that doing Defence is a very important job and continuity is important.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think I may have had that too, yeah not again, thanks.

On the other hand in a random pub/restaurant I had by far the best soup I've ever had in my life. Great mix of seafood in it and the soup was just incredible. My wife found the recipe online afterwards and makes it on special occasions. :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

boulay said:

Partygate?
    I thought he actually said "never leave".

• Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

17.4 million is bigger than 14.1 million.
    Oh you don't do simple maths, you're one of those numpties.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Andy_JS said:

He reportedly has made no moves at all so far, so it's possible he doesn't run.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Agreed. And It will look ridiculous to swathes of the semi detatched electorate. 'He's just said he is resigning'
This discussion has been closed.