Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The cabinet are revolting as they prepare to get their Johnson out. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    edited July 2022

DavidL said:

Tricky one for Wallace given what is on his plate. I see the argument he should stay put but the logic of that is that he stays put as part of a functioning government. I don't think that that exists so how can he do his job? Where does the money come from without a Chancellor, the policy without a functioning cabinet, the leadership with Boris in office?

I think he should go now in the hope that the whole government is replaced by something bettter that can allow the UK to do what it can to help Ukraine in an effective way rather than by photo op.

The way to square this circle is to be confident in his Ministers of State and ask them to hold the fort while he resigns to deal with the Prime Minister.
    They are all in pretty much the same predicament as Wallace though. That would just be passing the problem on.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,945
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Penddu2 said:

Please keep JRM on tv.... excellent recruiter for Labour, LDs, Plaid, SNP, Greens, etc.
    Smug arrogant condescending berk...totally out of touch

When the new management takes over tomorrow he and mad Nad and a few others will return to well deserved obscurity with the scorn of an ungrateful nation.
    They won't, JRM is very popular amongst the Tory membership and it is the Tory membership who get the final say on the next Tory leader and PM not the public
    Oh, so the public are imperfectluy coordinated with the Party view? Must be so annoying for you.
    The public gave the Tories a 5 year term in 2019, they get no further say on next PM until 2024/25
    Hmm. I see someone actually gave you an Off Topic for that. Not me. Obvs also uncoordinated with the Party.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Is Mike still on a break? TSE still in charge of PB?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476
    DavidL said:

I guess I'm going to have to call JRM "Jacob Rees-Worm" once more. Because he looks a little like a monocled worm in the Mister Men books.

And because he is a slimy worm.

I am grateful that the worms in my garden don't seem to read PB. Otherwise all hell would be breaking loose.
    It’s your job to give them some leadership and direction!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Sounds like plan is to appoint a new Chancellor this evening.

He must have one before the markets open, surely?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

NEW: Boris Johnson has just concluded a meeting of his core team in which he has decided to replace Sunak and Javid -- possibly tonight -- in an attempt to ride out the storm

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1544402133029617667

Ooo wonder if we might get our first lady CotE... Stand by you phone Nadine...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608

Is Mike still on a break? TSE still in charge of PB?

He's busy today, I'm in charge the rest of the evening.
  • Options

Oliver Dowden must be really pissed off that his principled resignation, less than a fortnight ago, has been consigned to the dustbin of history so quickly.
    "Who's he?", the masses asked.

He used to run Bomber Command IIRC :D
  • Options
    Reshuffle latest:

Hearing that Steve Barclay could replace Sajid Javid as health secretary. Source tells me this is likely

There's also discussions in No 10 about Liz Truss as the new chancellor but nothing firm on that front yet

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544400487180603399
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,193
    GIN1138 said:

NEW: Boris Johnson has just concluded a meeting of his core team in which he has decided to replace Sunak and Javid -- possibly tonight -- in an attempt to ride out the storm

Truss is the rumour
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

Oliver Dowden must be really pissed off that his principled resignation, less than a fortnight ago, has been consigned to the dustbin of history so quickly.

We asked that when he was in office.
    We really didn't if only because very, very few were aware that he was even in office or what office he held.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 803
    The important thing to remember is Boris is completely and utterly shameless.

The only way he's going is via losing a new vote of no confidence. The normal rules of politics don't apply to him.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Whoever takes the Chancellor job is going down in history as such a worm! Sure, you can say forever you were once chancellor. But will it really be worth the shame?
  • Options
    Do we now find out exactly how many people he's promised a promotion to?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Even Widdecombe on BBC News is saying it is probably curtains.

RefUK wants him gone so they can pick up some of his voters!
    I want him gone so the conservatives can regain the votes he is haemorrhaging
    Dream on, my friend.

Your fate was sealed when you jumped from “If that lying clown becomes party leader I am leaving the party” to “I’m now backing that same lying clown for PM!”.

You made your bed…
    I supported Johnson through Brexit, Covid and Ukraine but starting with Paterson through wallpapergate and partygate to the present debacle he has to go but of course Brexit for you is a trauma but for me is fine but does need work on it to improve it and is why I was surprised and pleased with Starmer's position on it
    Heseltine has just said Brexit is the worst mistake any government has made in 70 years. A catastrophy. When told that Johnson going isn't going to change anything and even Labour now support Brexit he said "we have the Lib Dems"

Interesting from a Remaining Tory. Perhaps the Future could be Orange.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

Remember golden days of yore, when PBers fulminated at the indecency of referring to the PM as BoJo?

I remember the golden days when a goodly proportion of PB Tories thought Boris was their saviour.

They are pretending that nobody remembers.
    But he was the saviour of the Tory party - and the country. He got Brexit done, by winning a large majority, and if that had not happened the Tories would have descended into terrible internal warfare - as the whole country went on to an absolutely catastrophic 2nd referendum. Just try and imagine how that would have gone, as it was boycotted by millions of Leavers (like me). There you go. What do you do after that? After a botched 2nd vote with half the voters not showing up? That’s the end of British democracy

So many 2nd voters - such as Keir Starmer - like to pretend this would not have happened. Those Remainers that do now belatedly realise this want us to conveniently forget all about their demands for a 2nd referendum. Utter Wankers

However, the good that Boris did then is now seriously outweighed by his many flaws and unforced errors. He has to go

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,204
    I will always remain loyal to my constituents and the Conservative Party. Tonight I’ve made the tough decision to resign as a PPS. https://twitter.com/Nicola4WBE/status/1544402731770716163/photo/1
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited July 2022

GIN1138 said:

Truss is the rumour
    Boris as PM and Mini-Boris as CoE.
    What could go wrong?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

Re cabinet not quitting. They may simply assume the game is up and they are best placed to fight for the leadership from cabinet. Patel, Raab, Truss probably all see themselves as potential 'cabinet agreed caretaker'

They are deluded then.

The clear precedent is the Queen will agree to a caretaker who is not running to be leader.

Raab is automatic if he doesn't run although the whole deputy thing is terribly new and not in any constitution stuff basically.

Now - would the Queen go against a load of Cabinet saying we want Patel to be caretaker (as a random example)? Probably not but it is all very awkward. The Queen will want a caretaker who is not running so there is no doubt that she was neutral in any appointment.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    dixiedean said:

Re cabinet not quitting. They may simply assume the game is up and they are best placed to fight for the leadership from cabinet. Patel, Raab, Truss probably all see themselves as potential 'cabinet agreed caretaker'

Caretaker is about their level.
    Not sure I'd trust them to mop the floors properly, mind.
    The Jani-tory Party?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Tut. Almost as appalling as the chap who asked for a G&T in the Pump Room at Bath, to some people's minds. Though I know you don't mean it.

*Fighter* Command, Battle of Britain, Lancasters going Tally-Ho and shooting down Focke-Wulfs over Biggin Hill, you know, the entire Brexiter mythos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PziohvY8UgA
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Reshuffle latest:

Hearing that Steve Barclay could replace Sajid Javid as health secretary. Source tells me this is likely

There's also discussions in No 10 about Liz Truss as the new chancellor but nothing firm on that front yet

Probably the first thing she'll do is halve the Sovereign Grant and sell off Buck House! :(
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    DavidL said:

Tricky one for Wallace given what is on his plate. I see the argument he should stay put but the logic of that is that he stays put as part of a functioning government. I don't think that that exists so how can he do his job? Where does the money come from without a Chancellor, the policy without a functioning cabinet, the leadership with Boris in office?

I think he should go now in the hope that the whole government is replaced by something bettter that can allow the UK to do what it can to help Ukraine in an effective way rather than by photo op.

It must be really difficult if you are a Minister deeply committed to a policy and with knowledge of the detail. Gove is a bit like this in DHLUC at the moment. You can see that he has got in to the detail of what he is working on almost to the same level as the civil servants who work for him. It must be hard to walk away from all that.
  • Options
    Genuinely scary.

Public universities in Florida will be required to survey both faculty and students on their political beliefs and viewpoints, with the institutions at risk of losing their funding if the responses are not satisfactory to the state's Republican-led legislature.

The unprecedented project, which was tucked into a law signed Tuesday by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, is part of a long-running, nationwide right-wing push to promote "intellectual diversity" on campuses — though worries over a lack of details on the survey's privacy protections, and questions over what the results may ultimately be used for, hover over the venture.

Based on the bill's language, survey responses will not necessarily be anonymous — sparking worries among many professors and other university staff that they may be targeted, held back in their careers or even fired for their beliefs.

According to the bill's sponsor, state Sen. Ray Rodrigues, faculty will not be promoted or fired based on their responses, but, as The Tampa Bay Times reported Tuesday, the bill itself does not back up those claims.

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/desantis-signs-bill-requiring-florida-students-professors-to-register-political-views-with-state/
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Truss is the rumour
    What could go wrong?
    "his core team"???

That is LOL.

Ship of fools who can squeeze into a shoe box.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,193
    7 resignations in one evening. So far
  • Options
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Dream on, my friend.

Your fate was sealed when you jumped from “If that lying clown becomes party leader I am leaving the party” to “I’m now backing that same lying clown for PM!”.

You made your bed…
    I supported Johnson through Brexit, Covid and Ukraine but starting with Paterson through wallpapergate and partygate to the present debacle he has to go but of course Brexit for you is a trauma but for me is fine but does need work on it to improve it and is why I was surprised and pleased with Starmer's position on it
    Heseltine has just said Brexit is the worst mistake any government has made in 70 years. A catastrophy. When told that Johnson going isn't going to change anything and even Labour now support Brexit he said "we have the Lib Dems"

Heseltine was one of the last National Liberals ISTR.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,591
    All a bit of an anti-climax now, this piece of theatre. I really enjoyed the first couple of hours, but the plot seems to have run out of steam quite quickly for today.

(Incidentally nobody, I think, has mentioned Alok Sharma, who is in the Cabinet. What's his view of his Leader?)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Remember golden days of yore, when PBers fulminated at the indecency of referring to the PM as BoJo?

I remember the golden days when a goodly proportion of PB Tories thought Boris was their saviour.

They are pretending that nobody remembers.
    But he was the saviour of the Tory party - and the country. He got Brexit done, by winning a large majority, and if that had not happened the Tories would have descended into terrible internal warfare - as the whole country went on to an absolutely catastrophic 2nd referendum. Just try and imagine how that would have gone, as it was boycotted by millions of Leavers (like me). There you go. What do you do after that? After a botched 2nd vote with half the voters not showing up? That’s the end of British democracy

So many 2nd voters - such as Keir Starmer - like to pretend this would not have happened. Those Remainers that do now belatedly realise this want us to conveniently forget all about their demands for a 2nd referendum. Utter Wankers

However, the good that Boris did then is now seriously outweighed by his many flaws and unforced errors. He has to go

"got Brexit done". Must tell my Belfast chum that.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Truss is the rumour
    What could go wrong?
    Truss would do this just to go down in Trivial Pursuit as the the only female CoE.

• Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Penddu2 said:

Please keep JRM on tv.... excellent recruiter for Labour, LDs, Plaid, SNP, Greens, etc.
    Smug arrogant condescending berk...totally out of touch

When the new management takes over tomorrow he and mad Nad and a few others will return to well deserved obscurity with the scorn of an ungrateful nation.
    They won't, JRM is very popular amongst the Tory membership and it is the Tory membership who get the final say on the next Tory leader and PM not the public
    Would you care to have a bet on that? I am willing to bet that JRM will not be in the cabinet of Boris's successor. He is an embarrassment and gives the Tories an image they badly need to ditch. Like now.
    This Tory membership want proper rightwingers like Mogg in Cabinet not just wets like Sunak and Hunt.

They have had enough of pure image they want the party to return to core Tory values. They have been in power long enough, 12 years, winning further power without pushing through Tory ideology is now pointless as far as they are concerned, better to go into opposition. Starmer after all is no Corbyn anyway
    Then they'll get hammered, the lib dems and labour will hit them from both flanks and they'll be sub 200 seats again quickly.

The world has moved on, old school right wing policies mean electoral oblivion.
    They didn't for Thatcher, Boris also had plenty of rightwing red meat in 2019 too even if not as much as Thatcher did when she won
    And then 1997 happened...
    With Blair having accepted much of the Thatcherite consensus
    On elements of fiscal policy, but not on social issues.
    So the bit that mattered then?

Difficult to be sure, but I think Boris might just survive this. No one will know who Javid is. As for Rishi, thanks to Boris's dark arts combined with some of his own in ineptitude he'll just be remembered as the billionaire tax dodger who did something underhand on a petrol-station forecourt. Boris will probably push on.

He'll resign before midday tomorrow. He can't do PMQs, he just can't.

Be interesting to hear Sunak's or Javid's resignation speeches in the extremely unlikely event he tries to brazen this out.
    Of course he’s going to brazen it out, unless Brady stops him.

I doubt it. It only takes, what, 32 changing their minds? In a secret ballot?

We are up to six already. And that's with needing to resign to do it.

It's over.
    That's the magic number 32.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

kle4 said:

George Eustice is also staying, according to @BBCVickiYoung
    - the only senior cabinet minister who has not yet confirmed their position is Nadhim Zahawi.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1544393753082953728?cxt=HHwWgIC83fL75O4qAAAA

They rallied quickly, it seems. Disappointing.

I am surprised.

With the sole exception of Wallace, it seems they have all personally calculated they will not get jobs under any successor.

That’s incredibly damning.
    Eusless is hardly a surprise.
  • Options

Reshuffle latest:

Truss has done a stint as Chief Secretary to the Treasury so she will have some idea of how things work there but she is borderline bonkers and is not what this country needs right now or over the next few months.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134

Hes not quitting, hes hiring. Tonight.
    What a mess.

A total non-surprise. He won't quit, ever. He'll have to be voted out, either by Tory backbenchers or the electorate.
  • Options
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Dream on, my friend.

You made your bed…

That'd be misunderstood in Scotland and NI!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Do we now find out exactly how many people he's promised a promotion to?

One more than the set of infinite numbers?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476

GIN1138 said:

Truss is the rumour
    What could go wrong?
    Truss would do this just to go down in Trivial Pursuit as the the only female CoE.

Making that game so wonderfully aptly named
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Genuinely scary.

Public universities in Florida will be required to survey both faculty and students on their political beliefs and viewpoints, with the institutions at risk of losing their funding if the responses are not satisfactory to the state's Republican-led legislature.

The unprecedented project, which was tucked into a law signed Tuesday by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, is part of a long-running, nationwide right-wing push to promote "intellectual diversity" on campuses — though worries over a lack of details on the survey's privacy protections, and questions over what the results may ultimately be used for, hover over the venture.

Based on the bill's language, survey responses will not necessarily be anonymous — sparking worries among many professors and other university staff that they may be targeted, held back in their careers or even fired for their beliefs.

According to the bill's sponsor, state Sen. Ray Rodrigues, faculty will not be promoted or fired based on their responses, but, as The Tampa Bay Times reported Tuesday, the bill itself does not back up those claims.

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/desantis-signs-bill-requiring-florida-students-professors-to-register-political-views-with-state/

According to the bill's sponsor, state Sen. Ray Rodrigues, faculty will not be promoted or fired based on their responses, but, as The Tampa Bay Times reported Tuesday, the bill itself does not back up those claims

A common issue with ill motivated drafters - claim X is not the point/intent, yet provide for the ability to do X anyway.
  • Options

Reshuffle latest:

That will be a laugh. Barclay was the only thing keeping the madness on the road wasn't he as far as Tory backbench MPs think?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    .@nadhimzahawi has just gone into No10. The expectation is that he will be appointed Chancellor. Presumably, on the basis of what @Jacob_Rees_Mogg just said, the deal is he has to go against Treasury advice and reverse the rise in corporation tax
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1544404553470300162
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

Genuinely scary.

No. Completely justified. The horrendous onethink on American campuses has to be challenged. They are 99% Democrat and 98% Woke, yet the rest of America really is not, and this gulf is bad for any country
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Reshuffle latest:

Truss has done a stint as Chief Secretary to the Treasury so she will have some idea of how things work there but she is borderline bonkers and is not what this country needs right now or over the next few months.
    To call her bonkers, this is a disgrace.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Is it conceivable that the only way to get shut will be Tories supporting VONC against government? No automatic GE will follow. Queen will call leader most likely to form a government so possibilities include:
    1. No leadership campaign instead Tory MPs will have to agree on one candidate to avoid prolonged vote.
    2. Temporary PM while leadership contest takes place (May?)

Tories have to be vary careful they don't precipitate an election by accident. Of course it is also possible that Starmer may go soon (before Boris??).

Entertaining!

The main problem is getting Starmer (or the LOTO if its not Starmer) to play ball.
    Only the LOTO can call a VONC and it be guaranteed to be debated and voted on.

So.... let's just make something up and say Johnson refuses to resign and replaces the cabinet members who have resigned. Unless the 1922 committee can change the rules, the only final way is a Parliamentary vote.
    So the 'leader' of the Con rebels (and I'll make something ELSE up and just say 'Hunt') approaches Starmer.

Hunt wants a VONC, which he guarantees he and 100 others will support.
    Starmer wants a VONC.

So it seems a no brainer. But its what happens afterwards.
    Hunt would want a VONC followed by an alternative Conservative government, led by him, WITHOUT a General Election.
    Starmer would want a VONC followed by a GE.

Hunt can't get the VONC even called to debate without Starmer. Starmer won't accept tabling a VONC unless it leads to a GE.

Hunt *might say* he'd agree to a GE, but Starmer has no way of guaranteeing that. Starmer could call the VONC, win it, and then ask for a GE only for Hunt to shaft him over and stop one.

Starmer, though he DOES have a role in this latest drama, almost certainly won't do anything. He can't get what he wants, and no alternative Conservative would feel happy giving him a GE (except Rory Stewart, who isn't here anymore).
    Good points. 1922 to change the rules looks increasingly likely. I assume it is simple majority? The now majority of Tory MPs who are against hi simply have to get him out or they are doomed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Patel won’t be re-appointed. She is unpopular, and only got the present job for culture-war style shits and giggles.

Raab is quite dim, and is likely caught in some headlights somewhere. He too will not survive Johnson.

Truss is a WTF.
    She had her chance and she’s blown it.
    She’ll be another casualty therefore.

We are going to see quite a lot of the fatberg dislodged, I think.
    Patel will definitely make a comeback, probably in the same position. The next leader will need to get backing from the Tory right and keeping Patel in place deporting people to Rwanda guarantees that.

I'd honestly be shocked if whoever wins moves Patel out of post, only a promotion to Foreign Sec would be plausible IMO if they wanted a new Home Sec. No way she'll take a demotion and they will need her on side.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Reshuffle latest:

So that is her definitely for Chancellor then...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,662

dixiedean said:

The Jani-tory Party?
    Given alleged goings-on in Boris's former Foreign Office office, reckon Tories may not, er, sweep the custodian vote next time.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

George Eustice is also staying, according to @BBCVickiYoung
    - the only senior cabinet minister who has not yet confirmed their position is Nadhim Zahawi.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1544393753082953728?cxt=HHwWgIC83fL75O4qAAAA

They rallied quickly, it seems. Disappointing.

I am holding out hope that Zahawi is waiting until just before 10:00 to plunge the knife in. But I suspect I will be disappointed.

Patel is the only person that could make the splash bigger.
    You didn't see Mordaunt on reality TV then?
    I think she would belly flop, but that could be quite fun to watch.
    Hell of a splash.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1544404056428380161

Resignation Count Hits 7:

Rishi Sunak MP (Chancellor)
    Sajid Javid MP (Health Sec.)
    Bim Afolami MP (Vice Chair)
    Jonathan Gullis MP (PPS, NI)
    Nicola Richards MP (PPS, Transport)
    Saqib Bhatti MP (PPS, Health)
    Andrew Murrison MP (Trade Envoy, Morocco)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    edited July 2022
    Just taken an 8 hour break from politics while visiting Wimbledon. What the hell's going on?
  • Options

7 resignations in one evening. So far

And it is not enough to get Boris to go!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Genuinely scary.

No. Completely justified. The horrendous onethink on American campuses has to be challenged. They are 99% Democrat and 98% Woke, yet the rest of America really is not, and this gulf is bad for any country
    Your arse must be jealous about the shite that comes out of your mouth.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a worse Cabinet Sec than Simon Case?

• Options

There are 19 Cabinet Ministers left, and a further 8 “attending” Cabinet.

All of them - save Wallace maybe, and for the moment Zahawi - have calculated they won’t get a job post-Boris.

It’s simply incredible how much shit is sitting in this u-bend.

Coffey is a surprise. She is actually capable as far as I can see.
    Perhaps lacking in confidence.
    I really struggle to understand the psychology. Only a few are actually HYUFD-style stark raving mad.
    Especially after her recent humiliation going out to bat for Boris.
    She was looking quietly incensed in the cabinet meeting.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

.@nadhimzahawi has just gone into No10. The expectation is that he will be appointed Chancellor. Presumably, on the basis of what @Jacob_Rees_Mogg just said, the deal is he has to go against Treasury advice and reverse the rise in corporation tax

Maybe that's why he went to ground?
    Chancellor or I finish you off?
    Canny bugger, if so.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just taken an 8 hour break from politics while visiting Wimbledon. What the hell's going on?

Zimbabwe bringing back gold coins. Maybe the UK should do too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patel won’t be re-appointed. She is unpopular, and only got the present job for culture-war style shits and giggles.

Raab is quite dim, and is likely caught in some headlights somewhere. He too will not survive Johnson.

Truss is a WTF.

Patel will definitely make a comeback, probably in the same position. The next leader will need to get backing from the Tory right and keeping Patel in place deporting people to Rwanda guarantees that.

I'd honestly be shocked if whoever wins moves Patel out of post, only a promotion to Foreign Sec would be plausible IMO if they wanted a new Home Sec. No way she'll take a demotion and they will need her on side.
    She's too much of a national security risk to be Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Andy_JS said:

Those of us with smartphones were kept in the loop ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Reshuffle latest:

So long as Boris Johnson remains in office, the only pertinent question is what he needs right now. The country can go f**k itself.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Canny bugger, if so.
    Finish him off? That's Carrie's job.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Scott_xP said:

Refer to my previous comment! If he takes that gig his career is over.
  • Options
    darkage said:

DavidL said:

It must be really difficult if you are a Minister deeply committed to a policy and with knowledge of the detail. Gove is a bit like this in DHLUC at the moment. You can see that he has got in to the detail of what he is working on almost to the same level as the civil servants who work for him. It must be hard to walk away from all that.
    Yes, one of the many things that the Coalition got right was leaving ministers in post long enough to actually learn their departments and address the problems. Probably helped by the job deal agreed at the start but it led to better government than the teamsheet approach of the later Blair and Brown administrations.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Canny bugger, if so.
    Chancellor for two weeks.

Wow. What a prize for:

Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Scott_xP said:

That'll be fun - as where is the tax revenue going to come from now everything else is already at maximum.

Few people are going to vote for a government that cuts spending to cut a tax they don't actually see or pay....
  • Options

Delusional pillock.
  • Options
    BREAKING Steve Barclay is the new Health Secretary
  • Options
    Steve Barclay new Health
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Anyone who ever supported Johnson is a moron frankly. You knew what he was like, you were told and warned and voted for him anyway.

No sympathy, you're all fucking muppets all of you

I didn't vote Tory at the last election but stated, as did many others, that the choice was between the two most unsuitable candidates to be PM in modern history. Despite everything Corbyn was the worst of the pair.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Dream on, my friend.

You made your bed…

Well the Liberals (and recently the Lib-Dems) and the the Tories have always been interchangeable. The modern day Conservative Party is born out of various historic Tory, Whig and Liberal Party splits.

That's what people hankering for the "Progressive Alliance" that will keep the Conservatives out of power for the next 50 years don't get... Historically Con and Lib are much more likely bedfellows than Lib and Lab.

Hezza's deluded though if he thinks we're rejoining anytime soon...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Not a lot. Some of us thought that 7 or 8 resignations would be enough to make Boris go, but what it will really take is either the SAS, Seal Team 6 or a large crowbar to prise his fingers off the desk.

We could always nuke No.10 from orbit. It's the only way to be sure......
  • Options

Anyone who ever supported Johnson is a moron frankly. You knew what he was like, you were told and warned and voted for him anyway.

I didn't vote Tory at the last election but stated, as did many others, that the choice was between the two most unsuitable candidates to be PM in modern history. Despite everything Corbyn was the worst of the pair.
    No they were as terrible as each other. And with each day that passes that becomes clearer.

We got rid of Corbyn, now get rid of BoJo
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    dixiedean said:

Difficult to be sure, but I think Boris might just survive this. No one will know who Javid is. As for Rishi, thanks to Boris's dark arts combined with some of his own in ineptitude he'll just be remembered as the billionaire tax dodger who did something underhand on a petrol-station forecourt. Boris will probably push on.

& of people who know who a politician is, from https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/fame/politicians-political-figures/all

Johnson 99% (top politician)
    Blair 98% (highest non-Tory)
    Corbyn 97% (highest non-PM)
    Hancock 97% (highest Con non-PM)
    Patel 94% (highest Cabinet member)
    Starmer 92%
    Sunak 92%
    Javid 89%
    Truss 66%
    Davey 49%
    Wallace 37%
    Mordaunt 35%
    Tugendhat 19%
    Been trying to make this point re Wallace and Mordaunt.
    Barely known.
    I'm not sure that matters - the public might welcome a face new to them. The more significant snag is that their own colleagues don't know how they'd perform under pressure. And the Tories can't risk having another change - whoever they choose now, if they evict Johnson, they're stuck with till the election.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Savanta ComRes

Lab 41%
    Con 32%
    LD 11%
    SNP 4%
    Ref 4%
    Grn 3%
    oth 6%
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    The Lib Dems have found a scapegoat:

https://twitter.com/sean_kemp/status/1544392952671338498
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Steve Barclay is the new Health Secretary

A Cambridge educated lawyer, he'll be utterly brilliant.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Truss is a WTF.

She is too lacking in compassion, decency, competence or political nous to be a cabinet minister but it hasn't stopped her so far.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

They're not fit to "caretake" a 2-hole out-house. That is, manage a privy, let alone counsel it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

Andy_JS said:

Not a lot. Some of us thought that 7 or 8 resignations would be enough to make Boris go, but what it will really take is either the SAS, Seal Team 6 or a large crowbar to prise his fingers off the desk.

Even then the cockroaches and Bozo would come out alive...
  • Options
    You didn't need to put Johnson into Number 10, could have voted for Hunt. Blood. On. Your. Hands.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

Truss is a WTF.

Maybe, but Patel is a survivor. I think her lack of leadership credentials is why it doesn't make a difference to her future if she resigned or not today.

I also don't buy letting Wallace off the hook, his resignation would precipitate a full on rebellion overnight and Boris will be removed by 9am. The Ukraine policy doesn't change either way. If Wallace wants the leadership he should resign tonight.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,432
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

If his time at the DfE is any guide, he will not act against CS advice.

This became a real issue on the many occasions his civil servants at the DfE were transparently completely wrong.

I don't know the Treasury are a lot better. However, they do at least have some people with a vague understanding of finance there.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,842
    Ratters said:

The important thing to remember is Boris is completely and utterly shameless.

The only way he's going is via losing a new vote of no confidence. The normal rules of politics don't apply to him.

So, we wait until the 1922 elections next week, they change the rules, and then he's out?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Canny bugger, if so.

Wow. What a prize for:

Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial.
    Puts him on the front row of the grid.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345

You are comparing a s*** sandwich with s*** on toast. The two critical ingredients are bread and s***. No difference really.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    "It's Worse Than That, He's Still There" as someone once said...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Tut. Almost as appalling as the chap who asked for a G&T in the Pump Room at Bath, to some people's minds. Though I know you don't mean it.

*Fighter* Command, Battle of Britain, Lancasters going Tally-Ho and shooting down Focke-Wulfs over Biggin Hill, you know, the entire Brexiter mythos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PziohvY8UgA
    Yes indeed. Wrong command [slaps self on wrist]
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011

Savanta ComRes

Lab 41%
    Con 32%
    LD 11%
    SNP 4%
    Ref 4%
    Grn 3%
    oth 6%

Let's have a general election. We'd have one every year if it was up to me.
  • Options
    So how long before Boris and his "loyalists" begin organizing mass protests at Houses of Parliament?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    euan mccolm@euanmccolm·56m
    anyone had a press release from the snp about the decision of senior tories to resign over the handling of complaints against a sexual harasser? @murrayf00te

Ian Smart@ianssmart·32m
    Where is the Scottish Press tonight? Potentially Johnson gone by tomorrow over Pincher and yet Sturgeon over Grady? Shrugs. Yet the worst allegation against Johnson is that he’s known about Pincher since 2019. Sturgeon has known about Grady since 2016.
  • Options
    So Daily Mail front page tomorrow will be about Starmer and beergate, AMIRIGHT?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345

Andy_JS said:

I suspect Johnson, the wallpaper and curtains survive like cockroaches.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    Barclay is Health Secretary.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,432

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Canny bugger, if so.

Wow. What a prize for:

'Tis trash. Twas his, twas mine, has gone, and hath been promised to thousands?
  • Options
    Let's have a GE. Go on Johnson
  • Options

You are comparing a s*** sandwich with s*** on toast. The two critical ingredients are bread and s***. No difference really.
    Except the shit takes longer to work its way to the tastebuds in one recipe. But anyone with an eleventh of a brain can foresee that event.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422
    "🔥A Tory rebel MP says: "Boris treats the party likes he treats his women. He'll never leave us. But he'll lie to us and cheat on us until we eventually have to boot him out".'

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1541385561075847170

• Options
    Sunak and Javid will end up being heroes in the history books even if they never see high office again and return to banking.

Who the hell would have thought, after the 2008 finance crash, that it would be bankers who actually have the guts to stand for ethics and integrity?

Wow, life moves fast.
  • Options
    Genuinely Johnson will call an election to get rid of people plotting, his only way out. Nailed on IMHO
This discussion has been closed.