Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s just like the 1990s – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,396
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I tell you, once you get used to it, you’ll wonder why you ever put those weird full stops. At the end of paragraphs.

Look. It says. I’ve finished. Full stop.

Yes I can see you’ve finished that’s the end of the paragraph

You don’t need them. And eschewing them is more elegant

When I was about 13, I had a homework task which consisted of some English sentences, numbered 1 to 10. The task was to translate them into French.

My mark was 2 out of 10, because 8 of my sentences had no full stop. (The French was fine.)

It worked - I have never missed off full stops since.

Your teacher deserved a slap. He was an idiot.
    top trolling

:smiley:
    Well I mean how petty. If I had been his Dad I would certainly have given the teacher a piece of my mind if it were in a meaningful exam.
    What an excellent teacher. Teaching.
    Not teaching, but demoralising a pupil. Easy enough to give him the marks for the actual task and remind him about his punctuation.
    But if he had done would his pupil have remembered it 20 years later? Not a chance. The job of the teacher is to make sure that the lesson is learned.

My English teacher really didn't like my writing. I think the font was possibly best described as drunken spider on cocaine. His position was that if he couldn't read it, it didn't matter what it said. And he was right, however much I resented it at the time.
    Handwriting? You are showing your age, grandad. It is all typing and printing now; dictation and email even. I gather some American schools have stopped teaching joined-up writing.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cursive-handwriting-instr_n_842069
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,516
    Not noticed Carlotta on for while, anybody know if she is ok
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,056
    England need to get Pant in the next 4-5 overs or the best case scenario is a draw. Which is no use with England 2-1 down. Not seeing it but Stokes was unlucky with Pujara.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,482
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Given that our population pyramid is looking more like a population dadbod the idea of importing workers does not frighten or bother me. I don't want to see what happens when an increasingly small working-age population needs to support a large generation with complex needs and the political power to avoid any contribution. Frankly we need to smash the power of the NIMBYs. Completely gut the ability to object to new housing developments. Fuck your view, fuck your "village character", fuck your endless concern trolling. Pair that up with a legal requirement for developers to fund services (schools, GP surgeries, proper integrated community stuff) and a tax on land revaluation after usage change. Bang developer heads together and put a bullet in the NIMBYs, crash house prices into the ground and set up a relief fund funded the valuation tax to help out single home owners who suffer negative equity as a consequence.

Not that I expect any party to do something that might hurt the asset holding class.

Luckily, we don't need to enact any of your crazed Marxist nonsense

Why? Technology

See my posts earlier today. We are on the cusp of a mighty technological revolution, driven by AI (but also involving drones, robots, VR, WFH, self drive vehicles, the Metaverse, and more) which will soon make hundreds of millions of workers redundant. So the problem will be excess workers, not the opposite, and we will have imported 5 million people for no reason
    Lol. Marxism. You know when right-wingers are frightened when they do that flinch. I'm proposing to let the market do its thing. The most capitalist solution possible. Stop artificially dicking with the market and let supply and demand rip. Or are you worried your beloved little market might bite you in the arse for once?
    I'm not frightened. No party will enact your lunatic policies, as you yourself admit

I am trying to calm your troubled soul, the robots are here to save us from our demographic crisis. And it will probably be a good thing for us and the planet (tho it will also be painful, and will destroy lots of jobs)

Seriously, do some rabbit-holing on what AI and allied tech can already do, then extrapolate just a few years into the future. It is exhilarating but unnerving
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

Given that our population pyramid is looking more like a population dadbod the idea of importing workers does not frighten or bother me. I don't want to see what happens when an increasingly small working-age population needs to support a large generation with complex needs and the political power to avoid any contribution.

On housing, frankly we need to smash the power of the NIMBYs. Completely gut the ability to object to new housing developments. Fuck your view, fuck your "village character", fuck your endless concern trolling. Pair that up with a legal requirement for developers to fund services (schools, GP surgeries, proper integrated community stuff) and a tax on land revaluation after usage change. Bang developer heads together and put a bullet in the NIMBYs, crash house prices into the ground and set up a relief fund funded the valuation tax to help out single home owners who suffer negative equity as a consequence.

Not that I expect any party to do something that might hurt the asset holding class.

The asset holding class is the majority of people, nearly two-thirds in fact, if it means homeowners. Latest figure is 63/64%.
    That is no grounds for privileging their interest over the other 36%. That is HYUFD think.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,239

Good evening, everyone.

I'm not saying I mentioned Sainz at 14 and Perez at 10 each way before the weekend even began, but if I did it would be 100% accurate.

Sainz went up to about 50 in running. The chance that he was going to get a safety car, softs and Leclerc wouldn't was always quite low though.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,874
    Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Given that our population pyramid is looking more like a population dadbod the idea of importing workers does not frighten or bother me. I don't want to see what happens when an increasingly small working-age population needs to support a large generation with complex needs and the political power to avoid any contribution. Frankly we need to smash the power of the NIMBYs. Completely gut the ability to object to new housing developments. Fuck your view, fuck your "village character", fuck your endless concern trolling. Pair that up with a legal requirement for developers to fund services (schools, GP surgeries, proper integrated community stuff) and a tax on land revaluation after usage change. Bang developer heads together and put a bullet in the NIMBYs, crash house prices into the ground and set up a relief fund funded the valuation tax to help out single home owners who suffer negative equity as a consequence.

Why? Technology

See my posts earlier today. We are on the cusp of a mighty technological revolution, driven by AI (but also involving drones, robots, VR, WFH, self drive vehicles, the Metaverse, and more) which will soon make hundreds of millions of workers redundant. So the problem will be excess workers, not the opposite, and we will have imported 5 million people for no reason
    We"re going to need some statist lefty nonsense then because you can't leave that to the market. God can you imagine? Talk about your rocketing inequalities!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,378
    Andy_JS said:
    Many of them said it in 2019, but they still voted the useless bugger back in.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

I'm not saying I mentioned Sainz at 14 and Perez at 10 each way before the weekend even began, but if I did it would be 100% accurate.

It would be accurate you said it, or what you didn't say would have been accurate?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,009
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:
    Haven’t they done so with increased majorities?
    No, they need to own their decision.

Erect signs on the roads leading into Tamworth, warning drivers they are about to enter a nonce friendly zone.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

We"re going to need some statist lefty nonsense then because you can't leave that to the market. God can you imagine? Talk about your rocketing inequalities!
    For once I agree that the state will have to get involved. This is going to be a societal change on a par with electrification, or even the first industrial Revolution
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,627
    Technology has been poised to imminently make millions redundant since the Luddites at least.
    Probably since farming.
    All those hunter gatherers on the scrapheap.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I tell you, once you get used to it, you’ll wonder why you ever put those weird full stops. At the end of paragraphs.

When I was about 13, I had a homework task which consisted of some English sentences, numbered 1 to 10. The task was to translate them into French.

My mark was 2 out of 10, because 8 of my sentences had no full stop. (The French was fine.)

top trolling

Well I mean how petty. If I had been his Dad I would certainly have given the teacher a piece of my mind if it were in a meaningful exam.
    Not teaching, but demoralising a pupil. Easy enough to give him the marks for the actual task and remind him about his punctuation.
    But if he had done would his pupil have remembered it 20 years later? Not a chance. The job of the teacher is to make sure that the lesson is learned.

My English teacher really didn't like my writing. I think the font was possibly best described as drunken spider on cocaine. His position was that if he couldn't read it, it didn't matter what it said. And he was right, however much I resented it at the time.
    Handwriting? You are showing your age, grandad. It is all typing and printing now; dictation and email even. I gather some American schools have stopped teaching joined-up writing.
    He might just be an OFSTED inspector. They don't like people using technology because it shows up how useless and unimportant they are so they're trying to ban schools from using it more than very occasionally in lessons.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Did Ham @ 16s for this. Hmm.

But I laid back @ 2.5 smug city 🕺🙂
    The winner went out to 140 in-running so there's someone a lot smugger than you (not the layer, obviously).
    Really? Gosh. It was a VERY eventful race.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:
    Voxpop the obv over 60, and you voxpop fertile tooth sucking homophobe country

Also

David Holden, 66, heard the news for the first time when approached by BirminghamLive. When asked for his reaction he said: "I wouldn't be very happy about it but we didn't know anything. We need to know more information about it really before we can make another comment."

David's wife Lorraine Holden, also 66, added: "We voted Conservative and I think the people of the country are being really awkward about everything, no matter what happens. It's not fair.

"There are not many people who would put up with what has gone on in the world in the last two years. Boris Johnson I think has done a spectacular job."
  • Options

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

Not a grandad yet but looking forward to it. My son was found to have some dyslexia and got some extra time to type everything.I sometimes wonder if I was the same but no one checked for that sort of thing in my day. It would have helped me, no doubt about it. Sometimes my brain was so far ahead of what I was getting on the paper that random words would just be missed out.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,148
    Mr. Pulpstar, I was surprised by that Ferrari call. Leclerc did have fresher hard tyres than Sainz which may have been their thinking, but he scored 12 points and it could have been 25.

Mr. Doethur, it would be accurate if I said it.

An exciting race + profit = splendid F1 :D
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,472
    Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

Lol. Marxism. You know when right-wingers are frightened when they do that flinch. I'm proposing to let the market do its thing. The most capitalist solution possible. Stop artificially dicking with the market and let supply and demand rip. Or are you worried your beloved little market might bite you in the arse for once?
    I'm not frightened. No party will enact your lunatic policies, as you yourself admit

I am trying to calm your troubled soul, the robots are here to save us from our demographic crisis. And it will probably be a good thing for us and the planet (tho it will also be painful, and will destroy lots of jobs)

Seriously, do some rabbit-holing on what AI and allied tech can already do, then extrapolate just a few years into the future. It is exhilarating but unnerving
    I think a lot of recent technological fads are bunkum from silicon valley airheads (NFTs, Metaverse and I suspect Crypto are all headed for the uppers).

I absolutely agree with you on AI, I think it will have a significant effect on the world, but since I'm an engineer I'm very cynical that it will be as utopian as you do (I hope I'm wrong). AI is only as good as what you train it on, and a lot of datasets are crap. Garbage In, Garbage Out as the CS fraternity has always said. AI trained on useful data will be a genuine boon to the industries that can harness it. AI trained on rubbish will cause Very Big Problems.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,553

A good chunk of our economic and social problems ultimately come down to housing. It's difficult for families to have children, settle into a community, or save for the future when 50% of their post-tax income disappears in rent; making housing cheaper is an obvious way to somewhat address our demographic crisis, collapsing social trust and crippling social care obligation. We can only do this by increasing supply which means more housebuilding.

However, any serious attempt at housebuilding is going to be deeply unpopular with the southeastern Boomer/NIMBY voting bloc, so no political party has the balls to actually do it.

I think the solution is to abandon the current approach of trying to glue identikit housing estates onto the outskirts of existing towns and instead try to target affordable housing to certain areas of the country and certain age brackets. Build new dense garden cities in places like Cornwall and incentivise young people to move there (perhaps with student loan relief schemes and flats reserved for under-30s).

Doing it this way means the London housing market remains obscene and thus politically somewhat acceptable to Boomers (as actual buyer demand there is being driven by wealthier older people) but younger renters have a cheaper alternative so they can build some wealth of their own.

The issue which IMO that analysis misses is that the demand side has been financialised, and is in a destructive loop.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,933
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:
    That in-depth report appears to be based on the views of four voters, of whom the youngest was 64. If that's a representative sample, I won't be moving to Tamworth.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,009
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Also

David Holden, 66, heard the news for the first time when approached by BirminghamLive. When asked for his reaction he said: "I wouldn't be very happy about it but we didn't know anything. We need to know more information about it really before we can make another comment."

David's wife Lorraine Holden, also 66, added: "We voted Conservative and I think the people of the country are being really awkward about everything, no matter what happens. It's not fair.

"There are not many people who would put up with what has gone on in the world in the last two years. Boris Johnson I think has done a spectacular job."
    “Holden, 66, enjoys model trains but struggles with basic tasks like tying his shoelaces, and breathing through the nose.

His hobbies include masturbation and strangling small mammals.”
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,532
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

I think there are better ways of doing it. If someone is a conscientious pupil it can be very demoralising. Because I was very good at Maths I was always called the professor by my maths teacher. He probably thought it harmless and funny, but it caused me issues with other pupils and teachers. Fortunately I wasn't really impacted by it, but I could have been.
    I suspected there was a deepdown reason for your original comment. It's amazing how our whole lives can be affected by some things which happened at school. The final sentence speaks volumes.
  • Options
    I'm impressed by some of these ideas being floated but none of them contradict my view that big viable popular policies don't exist. You can only ever tick 2 of those 3 boxes.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,901
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

Not a grandad yet but looking forward to it. My son was found to have some dyslexia and got some extra time to type everything.I sometimes wonder if I was the same but no one checked for that sort of thing in my day. It would have helped me, no doubt about it. Sometimes my brain was so far ahead of what I was getting on the paper that random words would just be missed out.
    Ditto. Left handed so terribly writing. Brain way ahead of what I was able to write. A certain amount of word blindness.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, I was surprised by that Ferrari call. Leclerc did have fresher hard tyres than Sainz which may have been their thinking, but he scored 12 points and it could have been 25.

I'm really glad that was the one race that was televised on C4 because it was bloody marvellous. A showcase of incredible driving and the advances in safety tech in F1. I miss being able to watch F1 every weekend.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Also

I thought it was Carrie did the spectacular job?
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

I think there are better ways of doing it. If someone is a conscientious pupil it can be very demoralising. Because I was very good at Maths I was always called the professor by my maths teacher. He probably thought it harmless and funny, but it caused me issues with other pupils and teachers. Fortunately I wasn't really impacted by it, but I could have been.
    My wife had an accountancy teacher (at a very poor school) who would copy her answers, especially on management accounts so he could mark the rest of the class. Think yourself lucky.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,911
    dixiedean said:

Zhou Guanyu discharged from medical centre.
    Quite astonishing really

In amongst all that chaos, it’s great that a driver can basically walk away uninjured from an accident like that. The delay was for the extraction team to actually get to him in order to get him out safely. They lift out the driver in his seat, which acts as a spine board in case of serious injury. The car was on its side, and up against both the tyre barrier and the catch fence.

The car will be going straight in the bin, and Mr Zhou will have one hell of a headache tomorrow morning.

Spare a thought for Alex Albon, who is in the hospital after a horrible head-on impact with the concrete pit wall at over 100mph, mostly unseen by everyone watching.
  • Options

Plus, as a nice bonus, a load of drunken Fascists arrested for invading the track.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,727
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

Ditto. Left handed so terribly writing. Brain way ahead of what I was able to write. A certain amount of word blindness.
    My handwriting has caused serious issues for me at uni and for professional qualifications.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,559
    The draw at 8/1 looks good value in the Test at the moment
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,748
    Eabhal said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

My handwriting has caused serious issues for me at uni and for professional qualifications.
    I'm the son of a Doctor and the grandson of two doctors, I can confirm bad handwriting is hereditary.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,446

tlg86 said:

:lol: at the safety car not pitting on the lap on which lapped cars go past it.

Still sore about that.
    Shame about there bring a safety car at the end - took away a decent chance for Hamilton to win.
    The Mercedes is too slow to heat its tyres after a restart.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,922
    OnboardG1 said:

Given that our population pyramid is looking more like a population dadbod the idea of importing workers does not frighten or bother me. I don't want to see what happens when an increasingly small working-age population needs to support a large generation with complex needs and the political power to avoid any contribution.

On housing, frankly we need to smash the power of the NIMBYs. Completely gut the ability to object to new housing developments. Fuck your view, fuck your "village character", fuck your endless concern trolling. Pair that up with a legal requirement for developers to fund services (schools, GP surgeries, proper integrated community stuff) and a tax on land revaluation after usage change. Bang developer heads together and put a bullet in the NIMBYs, crash house prices into the ground and set up a relief fund funded the valuation tax to help out single home owners who suffer negative equity as a consequence.

This policy would be catastrophic. You just need to look at build costs to understand why. Build cost inflation is such that even building on green fields can quickly become unviable - that is even before you have tried to tax uplift. There would be no uplift to tax. A 100sqm house costs £200k to build (£2k/sqm) before the value of land, developer profit and planning gain is factored in to the equation. That is almost double what it was a decade ago but wage inflation has not risen in line with build cost inflation. Many families could not afford to buy a house even if it was sold to them at build cost.

The basic problem is with increases in the cost of materials, skilled labour and the imposition of new regulation that affects housebuilding.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,003
    edited July 2022
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

I think a lot of recent technological fads are bunkum from silicon valley airheads (NFTs, Metaverse and I suspect Crypto are all headed for the uppers).

I absolutely agree with you on AI, I think it will have a significant effect on the world, but since I'm an engineer I'm very cynical that it will be as utopian as you do (I hope I'm wrong). AI is only as good as what you train it on, and a lot of datasets are crap. Garbage In, Garbage Out as the CS fraternity has always said. AI trained on useful data will be a genuine boon to the industries that can harness it. AI trained on rubbish will cause Very Big Problems.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing... ;) Dunning-Kruger Syndrome is definitely a thing with some people
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

In amongst all that chaos, it’s great that a driver can basically walk away uninjured from an accident like that. The delay was for the extraction team to actually get to him in order to get him out safely. They lift out the driver in his seat, which acts as a spine board in case of serious injury. The car was on its side, and up against both the tyre barrier and the catch fence.

The car will be going straight in the bin, and Mr Zhou will have one hell of a headache tomorrow morning.

Spare a thought for Alex Albon, who is in the hospital after a horrible head-on impact with the concrete pit wall at over 100mph, mostly unseen by everyone watching.
    Was that why Albon's g-meter tripped? I knew he had a nasty one but I didn't realise that had happened. It says something about how good F1 chassis are at dumping energy when Zhou Guanyu gets away with some rattled nerves after that grotesque crash but Albon might have had a nastier time with a "simpler" accident.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Still sore about that.
    Shame about there bring a safety car at the end - took away a decent chance for Hamilton to win.
    The Mercedes is too slow
    You could just have left it there...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,312
    Never mind the motor cars there's been astonishing tennis y'day (Kyrgios-Tsitsipas) and now (Sinner-Alcaraz).
  • Options
    darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

This policy would be catastrophic. You just need to look at build costs to understand why. Build cost inflation is such that even building on green fields can quickly become unviable - that is even before you have tried to tax uplift. There would be no uplift to tax. A 100sqm house costs £200k to build (£2k/sqm) before the value of land, developer profit and planning gain is factored in to the equation. That is almost double what it was a decade ago but wage inflation has not risen in line with build cost inflation. Many families could not afford to buy a house even if it was sold to them at build cost.

The basic problem is with increases in the cost of materials, skilled labour and the imposition of new regulation that affects housebuilding.

That's very interesting. I didn't realise material costs had risen so much. What's behind it? Demand in East Asia?
  • Options
    Mr. G1, I hope F1 can return to being free-to-air, where it belongs.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,553
    An excellent video from Perun on the German €100bn for Defence.

Part of his theory is that German Military procurement went off the rails because of the very long period after reunification where very little investment was needed, which has atrophied the procurement capability.

Plus bureaucracy, political and organisational.

One interesting stat is that German military investment in equipment has been 40-50% below British or French since 2015.

And that the need to spend that amount in a very years is asking for trouble, which it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDUVtUA7rg
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing... ;) Dunning-Kruger Syndrome is definitely a thing with some people
    A little LEARNING is a dangerous thing

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,110

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

We were asked a long to a 'town hall' meeting with a new manager recently. He asked us all to bring a pen and paper. Most of us were casting around trying to even find a pen or bit of paper.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,745
    MattW said:

An excellent video from Perun on the German €100bn for Defence.

Part of his theory is that German Military procurement went off the rails because of the very long period after reunification where very little investment was needed, which has atrophied the procurement capability.

Plus bureaucracy, political and organisational.

One interesting stat is that German military investment in equipment has been 40-50% below British or French since 2015.

And that the need to spend that amount in a very years is asking for trouble, which it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDUVtUA7rg

Didn't you hear? Perun's videos are not worth listening to as they are too long, he has a boring accent, and who is he, anyway.

(Yes, someone on here said that.)
  • Options
    For those who think I am wrong re the school marking question, would you deduct 80% of the marks for a non meaningful punctuation error in a maths or physics answer?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

Especially one in particular who posts on PB.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

That's very interesting. I didn't realise material costs had risen so much. What's behind it? Demand in East Asia?
    Some of it is just demand for skilled labour and materials exceeding supply; also a lot of materials came from Russia which is a big problem. But I am expecting another big jump in build costs due to the building safety act and also recent changes to building regulations.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Still sore about that.
    The Mercedes is too slow
    You could just have left it there...
    Except, unusually, it was the fastest car on the track prior to the safety car.
    Might have been an even tastier last ten laps.

Fun race, though.
  • Options
    F1: last aside before I leave: it's interesting that my 'official' tips are just barely green this year but the 'real' picture (including early bets) is looking much better.

There's often a discrepancy one way or another but it's pretty stark.

Oh, and the Mercedes is actually looking better than I'd imagined.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,349
    OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

Mega supply chain problems due to Covid.

However, there are definitely ways we can bring the costs of housing down, e.g. prefab/modular (to a much higher quality than it was back in the day).

If I had my way, I would pick a dozen sites across the UK and turn them into low construction cost pre-fab Levittowns, nimbys be damned. The only thing I would change is that I think we need to build higher density. The idea of everyone having a sprawling detached with garden and white picket fence just isn't practical for the UK.
  • Options
    kjh said:

For those who think I am wrong re the school marking question, would you deduct 80% of the marks for a non meaningful punctuation error in a maths or physics answer?

Which raises the interesting question, is punctuation non-meaningful?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

Was that why Albon's g-meter tripped? I knew he had a nasty one but I didn't realise that had happened. It says something about how good F1 chassis are at dumping energy when Zhou Guanyu gets away with some rattled nerves after that grotesque crash but Albon might have had a nastier time with a "simpler" accident.
    It was a horrible crash, as the car turned and hit the wall.
    https://twitter.com/DrWreckerr/status/1543600558606630914

Accidents like this are why drivers wear the “HANS Device” to hold their neck in place, which was developed in the States after a number of fatalities at oval circuits, where these ‘spear crashes’ are more common.

It’s how Dale Earnhardt was killed, in a very innocuous-looking NASCAR accident. The car turned and hit the wall, breaking his neck from the force of the impact.
  • Options

F1: last aside before I leave: it's interesting that my 'official' tips are just barely green this year but the 'real' picture (including early bets) is looking much better.

I bet it's a dog at the next race.
  • Options
    kjh said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

Especially one in particular who posts on PB.
    Possibly, but we'd miss @StuartDickson if he left. How else would we know just how crazily outraged the Nats are getting?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I bet it's a dog at the next race.
    A Wolff, shurely?
  • Options

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

top trolling

I suspected there was a deepdown reason for your original comment. It's amazing how our whole lives can be affected by some things which happened at school. The final sentence speaks volumes.
    I don't think so, but I can see why you would think that. But I do have a hatred of 'jobsworths' and it smacks of that.
  • Options
    kjh said:

10! for example ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

10! for example ?

Are you suggesting that @kjh is missing the point?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

The PB physics teachers will be along in a minute but in sums, there are typically lots of points for working and maybe one or two for the correct answer. In the Sixty Symbols interviews with Nottingham physics professors, one of the laments is that new students from school are no longer used to writing answers in long form.

But a more philosophical answer might involve stepping back to ask what is the purpose of education. Deducting marks in French worked: it inculcated proper punctuation. Whether it is the business of French or indeed physics teachers to instruct their pupils in how to write English is a question best left to Dominic Cummings.

The final point is that only your mum cares whether you got 10/10 or 2/10 for any particular test. It is immaterial now and was almost as unimportant then.
  • Options
    ALCARAZ
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,505
    geoffw said:

Never mind the motor cars there's been astonishing tennis y'day (Kyrgios-Tsitsipas) and now (Sinner-Alcaraz).

I was fortunate enough to see Sinner on Wednesday and Alcaraz on Friday. They are going to win a lot over the next decade (injuries permitting).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

(Snip)
    I have a little anecdote about that. The seat removal thing (in all FIA single-seat formula, not just F1) took a few years to bring in, because it required car/chassis changes. For one thing, the medics had to know *how* to remove the seat quickly. In fact, AIUI racing seats (single eater FIA) are *not* attached to the car nowadays; the harness and driver keeps them in place.

So before that, the Prof had another system developed, which involved a board being slipped down behind a driver, another under his bum, and the two locked together. The two boards were then lifted out with the driver's spine in the same position it was in the car.

It was developed by a couple of engineers at an F1 team, tested by all the teams, and some lower formula teams as well. The Prof told me it saved two or three drivers from serious back injuries in the first year.

Safety is not just about fatalities; it is about avoiding life-changing injuries as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

10! for example ?

1000,00 times yes
  • Options

kjh said:

The PB physics teachers will be along in a minute but in sums, there are typically lots of points for working and maybe one or two for the correct answer. In the Sixty Symbols interviews with Nottingham physics professors, one of the laments is that new students from school are no longer used to writing answers in long form.

But a more philosophical answer might involve stepping back to ask what is the purpose of education. Deducting marks in French worked: it inculcated proper punctuation. Whether it is the business of French or indeed physics teachers to instruct their pupils in how to write English is a question best left to Dominic Cummings.

The final point is that only your mum cares whether you got 10/10 or 2/10 for any particular test. It is immaterial now and was almost as unimportant then.
    There is no question - none whatsoever - in education that is better left to Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

OnboardG1 said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

Accidents like this are why drivers wear the “HANS Device” to hold their neck in place, which was developed in the States after a number of fatalities at oval circuits, where these ‘spear crashes’ are more common.

It’s how Dale Earnhardt was killed, in a very innocuous-looking NASCAR accident. The car turned and hit the wall, breaking his neck from the force of the impact.
    A plot point in last Sunday's episode of McDonald & Dodds, about the murder of a Formula 1 driver.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,226
    Leon said:

It is one of the great ironies of New Labour that their Open Door immigration policies, designed to make Britain more relaxed and international (or "to rub the noses of the Right in diversity"), led pretty directly to Brexit: their worst nightmare

If you sow the wind, you will reap the whirlwind.
  • Options

kjh said:

French punctuation is part of French. They may do full stops properly but they do this ! with ex marks, how to account for such a thing ?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,106

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Also

“Holden, 66, enjoys model trains but struggles with basic tasks like tying his shoelaces, and breathing through the nose.

His hobbies include masturbation and strangling small mammals.”
    He’s let himself down, golf is not too popular round here.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nobody of sound mind and good character thinks you're wrong. Piece of sadistic schoolmastering that was. Wrong side of tough love.
  • Options

Mr. G1, I hope F1 can return to being free-to-air, where it belongs.

You think your favourite sport should be free to watch on tv then, Morris, do you?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

10! for example ?

1000,00 times yes
    PedanticBetting.com.... 10! is 36,288,00
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

However, there are definitely ways we can bring the costs of housing down, e.g. prefab/modular (to a much higher quality than it was back in the day).

If I had my way, I would pick a dozen sites across the UK and turn them into low construction cost pre-fab Levittowns, nimbys be damned. The only thing I would change is that I think we need to build higher density. The idea of everyone having a sprawling detached with garden and white picket fence just isn't practical for the UK.
    These 'pre fab' solutions they serve the high end of the market and are more expensive than building with bricks. There are people in the UK who have built factories where houses can be made, but it is more expensive than the traditional form of construction.

You can buy a static caravan for about £1k / sqm. But this is not a permanent structure and does not comply with building regulations. It falls apart and becomes uninhabitable after 20 years. You would just be building shanty towns.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    It's that 😉 icon that does you, Ishmael, isn’t it? Everytime you see it you get stuck in.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,065
    darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

These 'pre fab' solutions they serve the high end of the market and are more expensive than building with bricks. There are people in the UK who have built factories where houses can be made, but it is more expensive than the traditional form of construction.

You can buy a static caravan for about £1k / sqm. But this is not a permanent structure and does not comply with building regulations. It falls apart and becomes uninhabitable after 20 years. You would just be building shanty towns.
    Can you point to an example of a prefab that would be of decent quality, please? Would be interested to see what it is like.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

10! for example ?

1000,00 times yes
    It is indeed Pedantic Betting. Isn't there a nought missing?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,918

The draw at 8/1 looks good value in the Test at the moment

Nope - this is day three, plus extra overs to catch up still for days 4 and 5.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    It's that 😉 icon that does you, Ishmael, isn’t it? Everytime you see it you get stuck in.
    ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

OnboardG1 said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

In a sad twist, Dale Earnhardt was one of the most vocal opponents. A HANS device may have saved his life in his fatal 2001 crash.

But it's not just about HANS: the cockpit side designs help a heck of a lot. Compare Albon's accident today with Mika Hakkinen's in Adelaide in 1995. They were very different crashes, but look at the way Albon's head was prevented from moving too much from side-to-side by the removable cockpit sides. Then look at how much Hakkinen's bounced from side to side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwVpVLDWG8
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

French punctuation is part of French. They may do full stops properly but they do this ! with ex marks, how to account for such a thing ?
    We used to do that as well — leave a space before the exclamation mark. Do any PBers have very old books around to check my recollection?
  • Options
    I’m drinking in the billionaire‘s playground. Never seen so much overly unbuttoned white linen and silver chest hair; and that’s just me

Hard to believe this place was communist about 30 years ago
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    It's nothing to do with the smiley. Ishmael just seems to like trying to annoy people off PB.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m drinking in the billionaire‘s playground. Never seen so much overly unbuttoned white linen and silver chest hair; and that’s just me

Did you see any of the famous pillboxes? Or have they been cleared away?
  • Options
    On build costs (in case anyone was doubting what I said)

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/cost-to-build-a-house-uk/

"House Build Cost per Square Metre in the UK
    Building costs in the UK start from £1,750 per square metre.

And, In 2022, a cost estimation for a house is anywhere between £1,750 and £3,000 per m2.

Along with these costs, you will need to allow an extra 15% of the building cost to cover the costs of hiring your architect, engineer and project managers (or a multidisciplinary architecture practice such as us!) as well as other miscellaneous consultants needed to execute your project. You will also need to allow an extra 8% of the building cost for statutory consents and contingencies.

You can calculate the cost of building your new house in pounds per square metre of the floor area, so the bigger the floor area, the greater the overall cost. Most of the major housebuilders in the UK use RICS's cost per square metre and schedule of rates to get a complete breakdown of their construction cost."

This advice is geared towards self / custom build projects. But it gives you an idea. The reality is that housebuilders like Persimmon have economies of scale that mean they can do it for less. But still the reality is that land + developer profit+ contingency + build cost mean that most new build housing is unaffordable when considered against wages.

• Options

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    It's nothing to do with the smiley. Ishmael just seems to like trying to annoy people off PB.
    Not so. Let a thousand flowers bloom ;)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

10! for example ?

1000,00 times yes
    It is indeed Pedantic Betting. Isn't there a nought missing?
    No, but I deliberately mispositioned the commas ;)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

(Snip)
    I have a little anecdote about that. The seat removal thing (in all FIA single-seat formula, not just F1) took a few years to bring in, because it required car/chassis changes. For one thing, the medics had to know *how* to remove the seat quickly. In fact, AIUI racing seats (single eater FIA) are *not* attached to the car nowadays; the harness and driver keeps them in place.

So before that, the Prof had another system developed, which involved a board being slipped down behind a driver, another under his bum, and the two locked together. The two boards were then lifted out with the driver's spine in the same position it was in the car.

It was developed by a couple of engineers at an F1 team, tested by all the teams, and some lower formula teams as well. The Prof told me it saved two or three drivers from serious back injuries in the first year.

Safety is not just about fatalities; it is about avoiding life-changing injuries as well.
    Yes, the seat isn’t connected to the car it all, it sits on four pins that locate it in place, and it’s held in the car by the weight of the driver and very tight seat belts.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NHGVai_4tpI
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yBjY5eH8rGo

I do recall the old solution of the interlocking spine boards - a typical F1 innovation, a version of which is used today by response teams to traffic accidents.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    As I say frequently to the little 'un ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,239
    edited July 2022
    If there's one team that gives England a run for its money in the slowing down the Test stakes, it's India.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

I’m not Utopian. I am hopeful that the AI revolution will overall be positive. We can all see the potential

But there are huge downsides lurking like coral reefs, under the surface, ready to shred the keel of humanity. At best the wrenching changes in employment will be punitive, as many people lose jobs, and purpose; at worst the sci-fi dystopias will unfold: we will let AI control weaponry and politics to terrible effect, or AI will become sentient AND hostile; who knows

• Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    I must use it more often ;)
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Quite astonishing really

(Snip)

Yes, the seat isn’t connected to the car it all, it sits on four pins that locate it in place, and it’s held in the car by the weight of the driver and very tight seat belts.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NHGVai_4tpI
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yBjY5eH8rGo

I do recall the old solution of the interlocking spine boards - a typical F1 innovation, a version of which is used today by response teams to traffic accidents.
    Thanks - is it still used, and is that a development of the prof's work? If so I am *very* happy. He seemed proud of that little workaround.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    ;)
    And :lol:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Isn’t that Albania? I’m vaguely thinking of going there in my car. Tick off another country, why not

I have about 2 weeks left of my odyssey
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Isn’t that Albania? I’m vaguely thinking of going there in my car. Tick off another country, why not

I have about 2 weeks left of my odyssey
    Oh sorry, got confused by a mention of Albania somewhere back. The pillboxes are indeed Albania.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

For once I agree that the state will have to get involved. This is going to be a societal change on a par with electrification, or even the first industrial Revolution
    Thank goodness for that. If you'd played up even on this one I'd have quivered with frustration. Good to not have that happen.

Also, a piece of exciting news to relay. I'm booked for another foreign trip. Holland in October. 🏃
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

Can you point to an example of a prefab that would be of decent quality, please? Would be interested to see what it is like.
    There's loads of it around. Countryside are a massive housebuilder and have a factory in the midlands where they build houses off site, the capacity is 3500 a year. They look no different to regular blockwork housing. The driver isn't price, it is pace and quality.

https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/countryside-to-spend-20m-on-new-modular-factory/5107161.article

• Options
    darkage said:

Carnyx said:

darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

OnboardG1 said:

darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

There's loads of it around. Countryside are a massive housebuilder and have a factory in the midlands where they build houses off site, the capacity is 3500 a year. They look no different to regular blockwork housing. The driver isn't price, it is pace and quality.

https://www.housingtoday.co.uk/news/countryside-to-spend-20m-on-new-modular-factory/5107161.article

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Why? Technology

D-KS is a myth

Otherwise good
    I must use it more often ;)
    Add a sperm whale emoji as well. He really will get stuck into that.
This discussion has been closed.