Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s just like the 1990s – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

It doesn't matter who the Tories have leading them, the coming recession is going to see them out of office for a generation

I am not sure Labour supporters appearing to hope for a recession is a very good look CHB!
    I'm going to lose my job if there is a recession.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    dixiedean said:

I think the scenario is much more 1990 than 1995, but the question is whether the election-winning PM will be replaced this time or if the Tories will have a stab at seeing what would have happened at a 1992 GE with Thatcher v Kinnock.

What's the feeling on that counterfactual? Would Thatcher still have managed to claw things back? Were the British public always going to hesitate to make Kinnock PM? Or was a Tory defeat in 1992 inevitable if they'd kept Thatcher as leader?

Hung Parliament I would have guessed. Folk had had their fill of Maggie. Not enough to make Kinnock PM.
    We may well have ended up with Major anyways.
    There was much smaller landing zone for NOC then compared with now and 50 SNP seats.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

The 1990s was a period of economic growth, the beginning of a “catch-up” period for the British economy which saw services (but not manufacturing) reach US levels of productivity, GDP per capita surpass European peers, and London taking its place as a global capital (maybe *the* global capital).

The situation is quite different in 2022.
    British productivity has been stagnant since 2008, and there’s been very little growth in the economy. Productivity is a global issue, but the situation in the UK is the very worst.
    In turn that means less tax take, and less money for public services.

Economists continue to debate why but the reasons in no particular order are thought to be:

- Decline of oil output
    - Decline after GFC of financial industry
    - Lack of R&D investment by govt
    - Massive regional imbalance (ie SE v rest)
    - Austerity policy
    - Endemic skill problems in workforce
    - Economic effects of Brexit
    - Housing policy

I would add the constitutional narcissism of Sindy and Brexit alike which greedily consume the overall political narrative

Until someone - anyone - in the UK chooses to get real and confront above then Britain will continue to decline and possibly break apart.

The “good” news is that Britain now starts from quite behind the pack, so there actually is room to catch up.

But Shirley, the Brexit dividend, the Brexit dividend........? Oh!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

It doesn't matter who the Tories have leading them, the coming recession is going to see them out of office for a generation

Only if Labour then got the UK out of said recession.

The experience of the 1970s is that rising inflation and a sluggish economy leads to frequent changes of government
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I think the scenario is much more 1990 than 1995, but the question is whether the election-winning PM will be replaced this time or if the Tories will have a stab at seeing what would have happened at a 1992 GE with Thatcher v Kinnock.

What's the feeling on that counterfactual? Would Thatcher still have managed to claw things back? Were the British public always going to hesitate to make Kinnock PM? Or was a Tory defeat in 1992 inevitable if they'd kept Thatcher as leader?

Most likely had Thatcher led the Tories in 1992 it would have been a hung parliament with Kinnock Labour most seats
    That might have led to PR.
    In which case Heseltine would probably have succeeded her as Leader of the Opposition
    Without a doubt. Then a very tight election in 97. Kinnock probably holding on but an outright majority unlikely under the new PR system. Pressure to hand over to Smith (who wouldn't have died if electoral reform had happened) builds up quite soon thereafter.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

At the moment if Tory MPs do decide to remove Johnson as Tory MPs failed to remove Major in 1995, then today's ConHome survey has Wallace and then Mordaunt preferred to succeed him

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/03/our-survey-next-tory-leader-wallace-leads-mordaunt-by-two-votes-in-over-seven-hundred/

I think the ConHome survey is right. It is my gut feeling, although you never know who might come out of leftfield.

I think the scenario is different to 1995. Major wasn't the problem, it was the party. Currently Johnson is the problem (although the party isn't helping).
    Indeed.
    Although the comments of myself and DavidL still stand.
    Replace the PM and you get rid of the most egregious excesses.
    But. What precisely will the new person do exactly about anything? No one has outlined any alternative policies. Including the Opposition.
    So all the basic problems remain.
    Penny Mordaunt is campaigning for tax cuts.
    The UK has three great interrelated challenges:

1. We have a graying population, an inverted population pyramid, and health care and pension costs are likely to persistently rise faster than GDP.

2. We have been too dependent on borrowing from abroad to buy for goods from abroad. This means we've gone from a position where the world owed the UK money, to one where the UK owes the world money.

3. Most Brits' savings are tied up in their homes. Regular saving has been eschewed, because why bother if you have £500,000 tied up in your house.

"Tax cuts" is not a policy. It is a code for "I don't know what to do, but I'd sure like to live in Downing Street".

Where are the Thatchers, the Howes, the Ridleys, the Josephs, the people who recognized the problem, and had the guts to tell people that solving it would not be easy?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited July 2022
    tlg86 said:

He's ok.

Out of the car.

The lack of replays or the lack of them showing the car makes me think that he might not be in a good way. Hope I'm wrong on that.

This race won't happen if the barriers can't be repaired.
    I think it took them an hour to replace them in 2014 I think.

Yes, the lack of replays is a worry, please don't be a Jules Bianchi.
  • Options

I am not sure Labour supporters appearing to hope for a recession is a very good look CHB!
    Let us hope neither of those events come to pass!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

At the moment if Tory MPs do decide to remove Johnson as Tory MPs failed to remove Major in 1995, then today's ConHome survey has Wallace and then Mordaunt preferred to succeed him

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/03/our-survey-next-tory-leader-wallace-leads-mordaunt-by-two-votes-in-over-seven-hundred/

I think the ConHome survey is right. It is my gut feeling, although you never know who might come out of leftfield.

I think the scenario is different to 1995. Major wasn't the problem, it was the party. Currently Johnson is the problem (although the party isn't helping).
    Indeed.
    But. What precisely will the new person do exactly about anything? No one has outlined any alternative policies. Including the Opposition.
    After 2008, some anonymous Belgian(?) said that everyone knows what is needed, nobody knows how to get re-elected after doing that.

Consumption has got ahead of sustainable production, we need to feel poorer for a bit, simple as. But we're not ready for that message.

As for the header question-

Leafy places are vulnerable to the Libs.
    Gritty, studenty places are vulnerable to Lab.

That leaves Brexity small towns. Kent, Essex, chunks of the Midlands and North East. Tamworth would be OK for the blue team. So would Romford.

If Farage can reinflate his balloon, those places would be vulnerable, and a Canadian wipeout would be possible. So part of the trap the Conservatives are in is that protecting what's left to them makes them less attractive to the rest of the country.

Brexity small towns ain't enough.
    That is the current Conservative core, however if Labour win the next general election and become unpopular the Conservative core would expand to the leafy Home counties and suburbs again by default as the main opposition
    That may be true, because that tends to happen but you can't be sure. The Liberals were once one of the 2 main parties and Labour didn't exist. France had changed dramatically. It is not impossible that a party commits suicide. I grant you it is unlikely, but it can happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The crowd must have been shitting themselves there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Good, he's okay. :)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    That is a horrific accident and only just missed going into the spectators
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    OMG, the car goes *over* the barrier!
  • Options
    Replays being shown = good news.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

1. We have a graying population, an inverted population pyramid, and health care and pension costs are likely to persistently rise faster than GDP.

2. We have been too dependent on borrowing from abroad to buy for goods from abroad. This means we've gone from a position where the world owed the UK money, to one where the UK owes the world money.

3. Most Brits' savings are tied up in their homes. Regular saving has been eschewed, because why bother if you have £500,000 tied up in your house.

"Tax cuts" is not a policy. It is a code for "I don't know what to do, but I'd sure like to live in Downing Street".

Where are the Thatchers, the Howes, the Ridleys, the Josephs, the people who recognized the problem, and had the guts to tell people that solving it would not be easy?
    The UK is a gerontocracy built on "wealth" created through ever increasing house prices, to the detriment of working age people who can no longer afford to have kids. I will vote for whichever government of whichever stripe has the guts to tackle this head on. Continuing to inflate the ponzi with 50 year mortgages, subprime mortgages to people on benefits, etc, ain't it.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

The UK is a gerontocracy built on "wealth" created through ever increasing house prices, to the detriment of working age people who can no longer afford to have kids. I will vote for whichever government of whichever stripe has the guts to tackle this head on. Continuing to inflate the ponzi with 50 year mortgages, subprime mortgages to people on benefits, etc, ain't it.
    Fair comment but just how is any government going to address it and get elected
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Outside London and the Home counties where house prices are much cheaper and cost of living much lower that is not really the case
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

It's perpetually putting the problem off until tomorrow, only to make the final denouement worse.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Fingers crossed that isn't the case mate! We've just let go of 10% of our headcount but it fell mostly on customer acquisition facing teams.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The experience of the 1970s is that rising inflation and a sluggish economy leads to frequent changes of government
    If they are given credit for it (even it is largely luck) then the Tories really are screwed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

He's ok.

Out of the car.

The incident on social media - Russell looks like he pulls over sharply into Zhou, but unsure if Russel was hit from Behind
    Rear wheel tagged by Gasly I think.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

100% agree mate, Labour aren't that party and the Tories definitely aren't.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Awesome levels of trolling...

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m
    Theresa May to deliver lecture on public service on Thu HT Politico

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1543601070630477824
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If they are given credit for it (even it is largely luck) then the Tories really are screwed.
    If inflation is still rising however after years of a Labour government it would be Labour screwed
  • Options
    It wasn't Grosjean at Spa in 2012, but I think Russell might get a ban for that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If inflation is still rising however after years of a Labour government it would be Labour screwed
    The unknown in all of this is the war in Ukraine and how long it continues and the consequences not just for UK, but globally
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It wasn't Grosjean at Spa in 2012, but I think Russell might get a ban for that.

He got tapped, so he should be ok.
  • Options
    Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.
  • Options

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Fucking morons. They could have killed both themselves and drivers
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Was this the planned track invasion?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    tlg86 said:

Good, he's okay. :)

Shows how good the cars are now. That was a very bad crash.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Looks like it. Hopefuly they're aren't any more waiting for later in the race
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Only a couple of the spectators thought to try to get out of the way (of a huge lump of metal hurtling towards them); most edged forward with their phones held up to get a better shot.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Outside London and the Home counties where house prices are much cheaper and cost of living much lower that is not really the case
    Second homes are [edit] partly funded by London prices. Hence one reason for inflation of the housing market UK wide.

And even in the NE of England a house is *average* 170K: average salary 27.5K - so on a 3 + 1 basis that means about 60K deposit. How realistic is that?

[edit: ignoring pro tem the distribution curve for each variable, obvs.]
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Fucking morons. They could have killed both themselves and drivers
    Yup.

I knew of a train driver who killed someone who committed suicide by jumping in front of a train, poor bloke was haunted for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Damn, I think the red flag prevented some real entertainment at Silverstone
  • Options
    As Johnson is so in the shit over Pincher, I guess we can expect the Durham police to report tomorrow morning?

• Options

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

I believe so.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Did he? Looks to me that he drifted across and initiated the contact.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Let me guess: Stop Oil and Gas Boilers Now! brigade?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Top marks for the F1 car spec people. Surely wouldn't have survived that in another era
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Second homes are funded by London prices. Hence one reason for inflation of the housing market UK wide.

And even in the NE of England a house is *average* 170K: average salary 27.5K - so on a 3 + 1 basis that means about 60K deposit. How realistic is that?
    Exactly and @HYUFD is not recognising the issue which is a nationwide problem
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Did he? Looks to me that he drifted across and initiated the contact.
    90% sure it will be judged a racing accident.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Only a couple of the spectators thought to try to get out of the way (of a huge lump of metal hurtling towards them); most edged forward with their phones held up to get a better shot.

To be honest, you ain't getting out the way of it when you're seated in a stand like that.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Second homes are funded by London prices. Hence one reason for inflation of the housing market UK wide.

Quite. It is a very crude calculation, but even a crude one can be very useful. And I should have said 'second homes and retirement homes', come to think of it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Twitter says so 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Pulpstar said:

Top marks for the F1 car spec people. Surely wouldn't have survived that in another era

2 incidents today where halo prevented serious injury (one in the F2 earlier)

Also - what on earth are extinction rebellion thinking? Utterly ludicrous
  • Options
    Alphonso Van Marsh
    @AlphonsoVM
    ·
    13h
    #Boston mayor condemns 'white supremacist' march through city.
    The group of about 100 marchers, most hiding their faces, identified themselves via flyers as belonging to the white nationalist group the Patriot Front.

https://twitter.com/AlphonsoVM/status/1543396514936102913
  • Options

CatMan said:

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Yep. They sat down on the fucking track. The Red Flag might have saved their lives

https://twitter.com/megslou99/status/1543603892398821380

https://twitter.com/goosemeister96/status/1543596920450465792
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Second homes are [edit] partly funded by London prices. Hence one reason for inflation of the housing market UK wide.

How many second homes are owned in the average Midlands and Northern seats? Very few outside the Lake District and Peak District.

So as your own figures prove, average house prices in the North East are just 25% the average house price in London. Most deposits are 10% to 15% not 30% as you wrongly stated so easily affordable on the average income, especially for the average household income in the North East which will be more than the £25k single figure.

Hence the Tories had their best result in generations in the North East in 2019, helped by rising home ownership as well as pro Brexit sentiment in complete contrast to London
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

As Johnson is so in the shit over Pincher, I guess we can expect the Durham police to report tomorrow morning?

Yes wholesale convictions tomorrow for all attendees would make the Pincher story go away.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Soap dodgers arrested.

Red flag saved us.

Yep. They sat down on the fucking track. The Red Flag might have saved their lives

https://twitter.com/megslou99/status/1543603892398821380

https://twitter.com/goosemeister96/status/1543596920450465792
    The world has gone mad
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alternative view: The halo led to the car travelling much further and put the spectators in more danger.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

|It's not them, it's Just Stop Oil.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Quite. It is a very crude calculation, but even a crude one can be very useful. And I should have said 'second homes and retirement homes', come to think of it.
    Another way of looking at this is that the model we have in our heads of the UK as an especially property owning democracy is
    actually not so true anymore.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

How many second homes are owned in the average Midlands and Northern seats, very few outside the Lake District and Peak District.

So as your own figures prove, average house prices in the North East are just 25% the average house price in London. Most deposits are 10% not 30% so easily affordable on the average income, especially for the average household income in the North East which will be more than the £25k single figure.

Hence the Tories had their best result in generations in North East in 2019, held by rising home ownership as well as pro Brexit sentiment in complete contrast to London
    You really do not have a clue how much a struggle it is to get on the housing ladder anywhere
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

|It's not them, it's Just Stop Oil.
    I can’t keep up with the number of different groups nowadays. Each seem more extreme than the other
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

How many second homes are owned in the average Midlands and Northern seats, very few outside the Lake District and Peak District.

So as your own figures prove, average house prices in the North East are just 25% the average house price in London. Most deposits are 10% not 30% so easily affordable on the average income, especially for the average household income in the North East which will be more than the £25k single figure.

Hence the Tories had their best result in generations in North East in 2019, held by rising home ownership as well as pro Brexit sentiment in complete contrast to London
    You really do not have a clue how much a struggle it is to get on the housing ladder anywhere
    Rubbish, outside of London and the Home counties the vast majority are on the property ladder by 40, in the North East significantly earlier than that.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Alternative view: The halo led to the car travelling much further and put the spectators in more danger.
    I suppose yes - but wouldn’t it have been his head acting as the brake without it?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2022

Another way of looking at this is that the model we have in our heads of the UK as a especially property owning democracy is
    actually not really true anymore.

Yes it's not ownership that is the problem. The problem is an inadequate supply, NIMBYism, and the result that we pay way too much for basically rubbish housing.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Another way of looking at this is that the model we have in our heads of the UK as a especially property owning democracy is

Going back to your original argument, Gordon Brown stoking a huge housing bubble through cheap borrowing and mass immigration must be the biggest factor in undoing the 'golden legacy' that New Labour took over.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I suppose yes - but wouldn’t it have been his head acting as the brake without it?
    Roll hoops have been around for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzW0xJ_Dls
  • Options
    Shame for Russell. Basically penalised for doing the right thing
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

That is the problem. We are where we are because pensioners vote, and because people who aren't pensioners are wedded to the idea of inheriting their wealth (cf the dementia tax).

However, there are a few things that could be done right now, such as bringing interest rates up (BoE independence aside), stricter mortgage lending criteria, increasing taxes on second homes, punitive taxation of undeveloped land being held in land banks, easing of planning restrictions, more medium density (5 storey) properties, maybe even a state funded construction company building thousands of houses at cost to compete with the developer oligopoly. Oh, and ending leasehold so flats are attractive purchases again - at the moment they're not.
  • Options
    glw said:

Yes it's no ownership that is the problem. The problem is an inadequate supply, NIMBYism, and the result that we pay way too much for basically rubbish housing.
    Crap planning policy has led to poor quality and insufficient supply.
  • Options
    @SamRamani2
    BREAKING: Turkey detains a Russian cargo ship possessing grain stolen from Ukraine

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1543608910724169737
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Rubbish, outside of London and the Home counties the vast majority are on the property ladder by 40, in the North East significantly earlier than that.

I think there may be an issue about the quality of the housing though. A lot of the stock in the Northeast in particular is fairly old. And some of those houses may be a lot cheaper. Extended family members are buying former industrial housing much more cheaply than other family members can in Essex. A lot of work needs to be done on those houses, though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    CatMan said:

Shame for Russell. Basically penalised for doing the right thing

Nah, his car was toast. And he may well blamed for the accident. He basically closed out the car on his left hand side leaving him nowhere to go, got tabbed and hit Zhou.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Another way of looking at this is that the model we have in our heads of the UK as an especially property owning democracy is

Jings and crivvens, help ma boab! The EU average so much higher than Brexitland, too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

How many second homes are owned in the average Midlands and Northern seats? Very few outside the Lake District and Peak District.

So as your own figures prove, average house prices in the North East are just 25% the average house price in London. Most deposits are 10% to 15% not 30% as you wrongly stated so easily affordable on the average income, especially for the average household income in the North East which will be more than the £25k single figure.

Hence the Tories had their best result in generations in the North East in 2019, helped by rising home ownership as well as pro Brexit sentiment in complete contrast to London
    If you actually read what I write, I was taking household income into account, for mortgages.

A high mortgage plus interest rate rises ...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

In London however only 50% own their own homes, by far the lowest UK figure.

Exclude London, the biggest global city in Europe by gdp and the UK figures look much more like the OECD average

https://www.birdandco.co.uk/site/blog/conveyancing-blog/midlands-has-the-highest-home-ownership-rate-in-england
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Going back to your original argument, Gordon Brown stoking a huge housing bubble through cheap borrowing and mass immigration must be the biggest factor in undoing the 'golden legacy' that New Labour took over.
    I don’t think Gordon Brown has much to do with it, and immigration has had less impact on household formation and demand than other factors.

The issue has been crap planning policy leading to insufficient housebuilding, and low interest rates creating inflated house prices, speculation, and the rise of buy-to-let.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Exclude London, the biggest global city in Europe by gdp and the UK figures look much more like the OECD average

https://www.birdandco.co.uk/site/blog/conveyancing-blog/midlands-has-the-highest-home-ownership-rate-in-england
    And?
    Should we remove Paris from France? The Rhineland from Germany? The Eastern seaboard and California from the US?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

But you keep telling us that the UK is nothing without London. That's like trying to separate the urea and faeces in a turkey turd.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?
    Should we remove Paris from France? The Rhineland from Germany? The Eastern seaboard and California from the US?
    Yes, because London is a Labour city and therefore doesn't count. Presumably.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Only 58% in Scotland. So it's not just London that's a problem.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Jings and crivvens, help ma boab! The EU average so much higher than Brexitland, too.
    London voted against Brexit, London has the lowest home ownership rate in the UK. 69% own their own homes in the East Midlands, same as the EU average and the East Midlands voted for Brexit
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

That is the problem. We are where we are because pensioners vote, and because people who aren't pensioners are wedded to the idea of inheriting their wealth (cf the dementia tax).

However, there are a few things that could be done right now, such as bringing interest rates up (BoE independence aside), stricter mortgage lending criteria, increasing taxes on second homes, punitive taxation of undeveloped land being held in land banks, easing of planning restrictions, more medium density (5 storey) properties, maybe even a state funded construction company building thousands of houses at cost to compete with the developer oligopoly. Oh, and ending leasehold so flats are attractive purchases again - at the moment they're not.
    Increased taxes on second homes and punitive taxation of undeveloped land is absolutely necessary, as is easing planning restrictions but I do not see a place for a state funded construction company

As far as leasehold on flats is concerned they should all be sold on a 999 year lease and a peppercorn ground rent

Unfortunately we have a policy vacuum from all the main parties and not just on housing but across all aspects of government and while the conservatives are in total disarray, a labour government facing the same problems would be struggling within months of gaining office

I have no doubt the next election is a good one to lose
  • Options

@SamRamani2
    BREAKING: Turkey detains a Russian cargo ship possessing grain stolen from Ukraine

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1543608910724169737

Excellent news
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

London voted against Brexit, London has the lowest home ownership rate in the UK. 69% own their own homes in the East Midlands, same as the EU average and the East Midlands voted for Brexit
    So, the UK average is a great deal lower than the EU.

Unless you think London and Scotland are still in the EU?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

4. (see your 2.) any vaguely profitable British company gets sold off abroad.

5. (likewise) even utilities are foreign-owned so Rishi writes subsidy cheques to foreign governments.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?
    Paris is a significantly smaller percentage of France than London is of the UK. NYC and LA-San Francisco combined are also a smaller percentage of the USA than London is of the UK.

The Rhineland-Palatinate is cheaper than London and Paris as it has no big global city.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I don't really believe in the hard way any more.

The solution to an ageing population is to age healthier, work well for longer, and require less care during our elder years. I think that's do-able with small changes to food production and preparation of dietary staples, and better dietary and health advice. This would also lighten the load on hospitals.

It's likely that there's an easy way through everything else too.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

But you keep telling us that the UK is nothing without London. That's like trying to separate the urea and faeces in a turkey turd.
    Many of the wealth creators who work in London live and own their properties in the Home Counties not London
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Many of the wealth creators who work in London live and own their properties in the Home Counties not London
    Well, quite. Go and look at a turkey turd sometime.

Edit: I'll give you a hint. The piss and shite are mixed. Not separate.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Well blame Sturgeon for Scotland having the 2nd lowest home ownership rate in the UK after Sadiq Khan's London
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?
    Paris is a significantly smaller percentage of France than London is of the UK. NYC and LA-San Francisco combined are also a smaller percentage of the USA than London is of the UK.

The Rhineland-Palatinate is cheaper than London and Paris as it has no big global city.

You really have no idea.

You look at everything through the prism of what is good for the Tory Party, in fact you are part of the problem.

You and your ilk have cheerled the country into decline.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

It would help if they would be honest with the public about the situation. Broadly speaking that's what Cameron and Osborne did, and they went from relying on a Coalition with the Lib Dems, to winning a majority on their own at the subsequent general election, even after five years of austerity.

The British public can be convinced of the necessity to munch shit, but it requires honesty, an air of competence, a sense of fairness, and an absence of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I don’t think Gordon Brown has much to do with it, and immigration has had less impact on household formation and demand than other factors.

The issue has been crap planning policy leading to insufficient housebuilding, and low interest rates creating inflated house prices, speculation, and the rise of buy-to-let.
    Call me naive, but I am fairly sure that allowing 5m migrants into the country - the greatest immigration in UK history - probably has impinged, just a tad, on the shortage of decent housing

If you let 15 people live in your house, you risk running out of bedrooms

Vast countries like the USA, Canada or Australia can allow great waves of immigration. They can build entire new towns one after the other without wrecking the landscape

We cannot. So the irresistible force of mass immigration meets the immovable object of English resistance to endless development, et voila
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Well blame Sturgeon for Scotland having the 2nd lowest home ownership rate in the UK after Sadiq Khan's London
    Indeed. Credit the SNP with reversing the big sell off of public property for huge discounts. And with building council houses again. To the degree that Labour councils are doing it too.

Round here, the new ones're smallish, but rather good on external inspection, with separate back yards and parking areas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Call me naive, but I am fairly sure that allowing 5m migrants into the country - the greatest immigration in UK history - probably has impinged, just a tad, on the shortage of decent housing

If you let 15 people live in your house, you risk running out of bedrooms

Vast countries like the USA, Canada or Australia can allow great waves of immigration. They can build entire new towns one after the other without wrecking the landscape

We cannot. So the irresistible force of mass immigration meets the immovable object of English resistance to endless development, et voila
    I’m sure it’s been a factor but on the other hand it’s helped the demographic problem referred to upthread.

But, it’s not the main issue for demand.
    You can look up the stats on gross household formation and the factors behind it.

Unfortunately I am “out and about” and don’t have the dexterity to open multiple tabs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?

You really have no idea.

You look at everything through the prism of what is good for the Tory Party, in fact you are part of the problem.

The problem is who is going to lead us out of the present mess
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?

You really have no idea.

I don’t know.

The absence of clear thinking - not just in the political class, but also in the media - is a depressing component of the problem.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I don't really believe in the hard way any more.

The solution to an ageing population is to age healthier, work well for longer, and require less care during our elder years. I think that's do-able with small changes to food production and preparation of dietary staples, and better dietary and health advice. This would also lighten the load on hospitals.

It's likely that there's an easy way through everything else too.
    I am also reminded of Adam Smith's famous dictum:

'Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism, but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice; all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things. All governments which thwart this natural course, which force things into another channel, or which endeavour to arrest the progress of society at a particular point, are unnatural, and to support themselves are obliged to be oppressive and tyrannical.'

At present, we don't really have peace - at least we're spending billions prosecuting a war (thank goodness we're not shedding British blood, just treasure), we don't have easy taxes by any stretch of the imagination, and whether we have tolerable administration of justice is highly debatable.

A lot of complex solutions can mooted, but we should try the simpler ones first imo.
  • Options
    What a shame for Max....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

I think there may be an issue about the quality of the housing though. A lot of the stock in the Northeast in particular is fairly old. And some of those houses may be a lot cheaper. Extended family members are buying former industrial housing much more cheaply than other family members can in Essex. A lot of work needs to be done on those houses, though.
    There was an interesting point made by one of us the other day on a previous iteration of this regular argument - that having a house of your own significantly cut mobility, including economic mobility. AIUI one of th eproblems of the sell off of council houses was that many of them were crap and/or in declining areas - where nobody would want to live or could get jobs - so a lot of people were trapped. Also, house price inflation was much lower than in areas where employment was better. So it's quite conceivable that crowing about high rates of ownership in Yorkshire actually ignores the fact that it is, in part, a *problem* not something to proud of.

I don't know how serious this is now, though?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Oh dear Verstappen is having problems. What a shame.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?

You really have no idea.

I don’t know.

The absence of clear thinking - not just in the political class, but also in the media - is a depressing component of the problem.
    It seems events are overwhelming a political class unsuited to the crisis, and not just here in the UK but in many others countries

I fear a lot of pain is heading the way of all politicians and unfortunately the public will be the ones paying the price, quite literally
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

And?

You really have no idea.

I don’t know.

It seems events are overwhelming a political class unsuited to the crisis, and not just here in the UK but in many others countries

I fear a lot of pain is heading the way of all politicians and unfortunately the public will be the ones paying the price, quite literally
    It is tempting to throw up one’s hands but to me it starts by unclogging the u-bend in Downing Street.
This discussion has been closed.