Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LDs move to a 78% chance in Tiverton and Honiton – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    ping said:

I’ve just had a reasonable-sized punt on the tories in T&H @ 4/1

Flushing money away.

Talking about flushing, if you get the wrong wind direction Topsham doesn't half catch the sewage works ... Oh and when the wind is in the west you can hear the M5 loud as loud.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

I remember a Giles cartoon from the.... I think 1960s.... (my grandad got me all the albums a long time ago). It was the golf club, and one member was looking out the window on 22nd June to see Grandma approaching. The text read, "What's the betting the first thing the old bag says is, "Longest day has come and gone, nights are drawing in.... soon be Christmas."?".

Of course, being the arsehole I am, I did comment to myself that 22nd June is indeed after the solstice, so the nights are drawing in [1].... but it would be another four days before you were closer to this years Christmas than the last one.

[1] Sometimes the solstice is on the 22nd. Don't know why. Something to do with the leap years I expect......
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,190
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Ok here's a PB challenge. Mrs P and I are planning to move in the next few years. What's the best small town or large village to move to?

It needs to be in the south of England* (anywhere south of Worcester-Northampton-Norwich) for family reasons. Ideally it'll be somewhere with: lots going on, good transport connections, easy access to London or another major city, sensible property prices.

Any ideas?

(*Yes I know, there are lots of fantastic places to live outside the south of England, we have lived in some, but... family connections rule them out for us now.)

A pity it has to be in the south of England because there are so many great places slightly further north.
    Where were you thinking of Andy? The Worcester-Northampton-Norwich line is not set in stone.

Thanks for the other good suggestions on the previous thread too!
    The area around Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth is nice. Just as example.
    Stoneleigh, Berkswell and Meriden are pleasant villages
    If I had to live in the South - and I have a spreadsheet ranking this - my favoured place would be the Exeter suburb of Topsham.
    If that is too far west, I would go for Gloucester.
    Still too far west? Devizes, Wiltshire.
    Exeter and Gloucester are both rather dreary. Both ruined by war/post war planners. Odd choice

Do you simply like red brick, cheap concrete and multi storey car parks?
    Exeter is a nicer city to live in than to visit, if you see what I mean.

Has it got knockout attractions for the tourist? Underrated cathedral aside, and that's not exactly a full day out, no.

But it's pleasant, has a decent amount going on, and is close to a lot of attractive countryside and seaside.

The centre has also been significantly improved through more recent redevelopment after a very poor post-war period as you say. Worth a holiday? No. Worth a house hunt? Yes.
    Even this is not exactly on the money. There's loads to do in Exeter.

The Quayside is stunning and THE place to go nowadays. Very trendy and vibey places. https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/faces-exeter-quay-meet-characters-5720090

The underground passages / catacombs are also well worth visiting and, yes, the cathedral. Roman walls of course, too.

Princeshay shopping centre and John Lewis have all added a touch of class.

Stroll out down the river and back along the canal. Gorgeous and glorious.

Masses of places to eat. For a top burger, Harry's.
    Food-wise the best thing about Exeter was Pipers Farm shop, but they deliver nationwide, so. I did recommend the environs, but that was in the context of the restriction of recommending somewhere in the south. The only thing I really miss about the place is the shoe shop Chuckles, and its proprietor. He's insanely good at what he does.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Heathener said:

We should have a rule on here that people should stop sounding knowledgeable when they're bullshitting.

Trouble is, @Leon would have to stop posting.

Night all.

xx

Wouldn't we all?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

Sort of. The latest sunset is actually on June 25th.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,308
    Heathener said:

We should have a rule on here that people should stop sounding knowledgeable when they're bullshitting.

Night all.

xx

Just Leon?

The Site would fall silent.

Nite nite.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    My Conservative source - "We're in for a terrible drubbing tonight. The rebels should have kept their powder dry for a few weeks and Boris would have been a goner by the months end."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

I remember a Giles cartoon from the.... I think 1960s.... (my grandad got me all the albums a long time ago). It was the golf club, and one member was looking out the window on 22nd June to see Grandma approaching. The text read, "What's the betting the first thing the old bag says is, "Longest day has come and gone, nights are drawing in.... soon be Christmas."?".

Of course, being the arsehole I am, I did comment to myself that 22nd June is indeed after the solstice, so the nights are drawing in [1].... but it would be another four days before you were closer to this years Christmas than the last one.

[1] Sometimes the solstice is on the 22nd. Don't know why. Something to do with the leap years I expect......
    It is around late September when I first find myself thinking, 'oh god, Christmas is looming, spare me...'
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,416
    Heathener said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Ok here's a PB challenge. Mrs P and I are planning to move in the next few years. What's the best small town or large village to move to?

It needs to be in the south of England* (anywhere south of Worcester-Northampton-Norwich) for family reasons. Ideally it'll be somewhere with: lots going on, good transport connections, easy access to London or another major city, sensible property prices.

Any ideas?

(*Yes I know, there are lots of fantastic places to live outside the south of England, we have lived in some, but... family connections rule them out for us now.)

A pity it has to be in the south of England because there are so many great places slightly further north.
    Where were you thinking of Andy? The Worcester-Northampton-Norwich line is not set in stone.

If I had to live in the South - and I have a spreadsheet ranking this - my favoured place would be the Exeter suburb of Topsham.
    Exeter ... rather dreary.
    Ridiculous comment.

Exeter is a fab vibrant city with a whole mixture of architectures and a lively scene.

I get really tired of you pontificating about stuff you really don't know.
    But you have just dismissed the entire population of Topsham as rather snooty!
    Topsham isn't Exeter!!!!! It really, really, isn't.

I've never ever before heard anyone suggest it is. I suspect you haven't heard of the Topsham Gap?
    Well, I don't pretend to know local sensibilities, but 1) it's within the city council, and 2) it's about 15 minutes walk from Topsham to Sandy Park. Unless I am thinking of the wrong place. So I'd say there was at least a smidgen of ambiguity about this.
    But doesn't dismissing the population of Topsham as rather snooty fall into the same category as dismissing Exeter as rather dreary?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,554
    Betting tip: poor by-election showing by SNP, Plaid Cymri AND Sinn Fein.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,047
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Exeter and Gloucester are both rather dreary. Both ruined by war/post war planners. Odd choice

Well:
    I like towns over villages.
    While I was disappointed with Exeter, I still - despite having never visited it - hanker slightly after Topsham. It looks lovely without being extortionate.
    I'd want to live somewhere close to some hills. Dartmoor, or the Brecon Beacons.
    Cost is a consideration. I'm sure the Chilterns are splendid, but you can afford a house for twice the size in Gloucester that you can in Amersham.
    I love Cornwall very much, of course, and thought Falmouth splendid - but it's a long, long way away from everywhere else.
    Herefordshire is the place to go! Untouched by industry. Largely unruined by planners. Nice-ish southern English climate if a bit wet towards the Welsh border

Or Dorset. Or even bits of Wiltshire. Malmesbury…

Someone else mentioned Stroud and that’s a good bet. It has suddenly become this counter cultural hub, perhaps because it is full of early industrial buildings which are quite handsome and can be easily repurposed, plus it is surrounded by extremely pretty countryside, Laurie Lee in the Slad valley etc

Winchester is probably my favourite small southern English cathedral city. But it is not cheap
    Stroud looks nice but also a bit too hippy for my tastes.
    I'm keen to like Hereford but despite passing through it two or three times have never really got an impression of the place. I must return and give it another go. The county, as you say, is certainly lovely. One of the happiest days of my life was a bike ride through the Herefordshire/Wales borderlands, the highlight of which was a cycle over the top of the Begwyns. Almost no-one has heard of the Begwyns, and yet they are one of the most stunningly beautiful little ranges of hills in the country. I had such a good day I repeated it exactly the following day.
    But I've always lived in towns, and I simply can't imagine how life would be in a village.
    i grew up in Hereford and, for a long time, remembered it as a sleepy, dull, slightly grey place, with a bit of post war ruination (the New Bridge and by pass) and no sense of a future

I went back last year for a week and I was stunned by the transformation. BECAUSE it stayed sleepy for so long it has kept a mediaeval network of streets, surrounding its lovely bijou cathedral. And there are no huge developments, yet it is full of life and exciting restaurants and cafes and pubs, it’s gorgeous. And it’s far enough away from London to have a sense of itself. And of course -as you note - the embracing countryside is quite something

it reminds me of one of those small unspoiled French cities in the Lot or the Dordogne or the Vosges where you think - why can’t England be like this? And lo, it can
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited June 2022
    I guess we saw this BANG while I was out? The big comres 11 lead is back
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+2)
    CON: 31% (-3)
    LDEM: 10% (-)
    GRN: 5% (+1)

via @SavantaComRes, 17 - 19 Jun
    https://t.co/5ksWvd9Km0
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    JACK_W said:

My Conservative source - "We're in for a terrible drubbing tonight. The rebels should have kept their powder dry for a few weeks and Boris would have been a goner by the months end."

It has been postulated that Johnson asked his supporters to send in letters at that moment in order to get the vote out of the way.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

They can still change the rules. If Brady really did approach May with a rule change, there is nothing to stop him doing the same for Johnson.

If tonight is very bad for the Conservatives (and I'm not sure it will be), we might see Brady indeed tee something up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,399
    Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Dreariness is entirely in the eye of the beholder, so there's absolutely no point in this silly argument.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Well:
    While I was disappointed with Exeter, I still - despite having never visited it - hanker slightly after Topsham. It looks lovely without being extortionate.
    I'd want to live somewhere close to some hills. Dartmoor, or the Brecon Beacons.
    Cost is a consideration. I'm sure the Chilterns are splendid, but you can afford a house for twice the size in Gloucester that you can in Amersham.
    I love Cornwall very much, of course, and thought Falmouth splendid - but it's a long, long way away from everywhere else.
    Herefordshire is the place to go! Untouched by industry. Largely unruined by planners. Nice-ish southern English climate if a bit wet towards the Welsh border

Someone else mentioned Stroud and that’s a good bet. It has suddenly become this counter cultural hub, perhaps because it is full of early industrial buildings which are quite handsome and can be easily repurposed, plus it is surrounded by extremely pretty countryside, Laurie Lee in the Slad valley etc

Winchester is probably my favourite small southern English cathedral city. But it is not cheap
    I'm keen to like Hereford but despite passing through it two or three times have never really got an impression of the place. I must return and give it another go. The county, as you say, is certainly lovely. One of the happiest days of my life was a bike ride through the Herefordshire/Wales borderlands, the highlight of which was a cycle over the top of the Begwyns. Almost no-one has heard of the Begwyns, and yet they are one of the most stunningly beautiful little ranges of hills in the country. I had such a good day I repeated it exactly the following day.
    But I've always lived in towns, and I simply can't imagine how life would be in a village.
    i grew up in Hereford and, for a long time, remembered it as a sleepy, dull, slightly grey place, with a bit of post war ruination (the New Bridge and by pass) and no sense of a future

I went back last year for a week and I was stunned by the transformation. BECAUSE it stayed sleepy for so long it has kept a mediaeval network of streets, surrounding its lovely bijou cathedral. And there are no huge developments, yet it is full of life and exciting restaurants and cafes and pubs, it’s gorgeous. And it’s far enough away from London to have a sense of itself. And of course -as you note - the embracing countryside is quite something

it reminds me of one of those small unspoiled French cities in the Lot or the Dordogne or the Vosges where you think - why can’t England be like this? And lo, it can
    But you haven't changed your views on Newent?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,021
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Speaking of Macron - and this is a tenuous link, but hey - some of you may remember that in August 2020 as we inched out of Lockdown 1 there was a catastrophic explosion in Beirut caused by a warehouse full of fertiliser catching fire.

Two years on, the situation is getting considerably worse rather than better.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/factbox-just-how-bad-is-lebanons-economic-meltdown-2022-06-23/

We could be looking at a complete collapse of Lebanon, which would be very bad news for all the states around it.

But hey, at least Syria, Israel and so on are so stable and well governed they can deal with...ah.

My god that’s terrible

How many countries are simply collapsing?

Lebanon. Sri Lanka. Ukraine. The United States*

*that’s a joke. But only half a joke

There was a petition in Lebanon to re-establish the French mandate. 0.5m signatures in 24 hours before the government quashed it.

Macrons comment was “we don’t do that anymore”
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    JACK_W said:

What's the world coming to when the Tories don't know how to successfully eviscerate their leader...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Ridiculous comment.

Exeter is a fab vibrant city with a whole mixture of architectures and a lively scene.

I've never ever before heard anyone suggest it is. I suspect you haven't heard of the Topsham Gap?
    Exeter has grown a lot over the last couple of decades. The Topsham Gap has been filled in. I think it's fair enough to call Topsham a suburb of Exeter these days.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

What's the world coming to when the Tories don't know how to successfully eviscerate their leader...
    This particular Tory leader did it the other way round: he eviscerated the party.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

It is around late September when I first find myself thinking, 'oh god, Christmas is looming, spare me...'
    Those bastards over at QVC are well ahead of the game:
    https://www.qvcuk.com/content/home-and-kitchen/christmas-in-july.html
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Loving all the suggestions for where to move to. I think maybe we might be doing a few trips away over the next 18 months to check some of these places out.

Thanks all!
  • Options

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Dreariness is entirely in the eye of the beholder, so there's absolutely no point in this silly argument.
    Quite so

I probably put more value on aesthetics. @Heathener being a late middle aged woman, likely puts more value on moral worth or vibrancy, as aesthetics are no longer her calling card
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887

JACK_W said:

They can still change the rules. If Brady really did approach May with a rule change, there is nothing to stop him doing the same for Johnson.

If tonight is very bad for the Conservatives (and I'm not sure it will be), we might see Brady indeed tee something up.
    BoZo is out of the country for 8 days...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

Not here it isn't.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:

The Conservatives are feeling very downbeat about both Wakefield & Tiverton and Honiton.
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1540074785711050755

Yeah yeah

Princess Leia said "It's a trap!" (twice in fact) in The Empire Strikes Back.
  • Options
    What time is the result? I’ve got to get to bed: it’s Midsommar tomorrow, and those nubbar don’t drink themselves.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Has it got knockout attractions for the tourist? Underrated cathedral aside, and that's not exactly a full day out, no.

But it's pleasant, has a decent amount going on, and is close to a lot of attractive countryside and seaside.

The centre has also been significantly improved through more recent redevelopment after a very poor post-war period as you say. Worth a holiday? No. Worth a house hunt? Yes.

The Quayside is stunning and THE place to go nowadays. Very trendy and vibey places. https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/faces-exeter-quay-meet-characters-5720090

The underground passages / catacombs are also well worth visiting and, yes, the cathedral. Roman walls of course, too.

I'm from Exeter, but am not going to tout it as a holiday destination. I'll defend it - it's one of England's nicer small cities for sure. But it's a relatively slow burner - spend two decades rather than two weeks, and you're laughing.
    St David's station is OK :)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

Just as the earliest sunset is roughly Dec 14th.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    JACK_W said:

They say that - but it doesn’t really change the direction of travel. He’ll be gone in some shape or form
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

I probably put more value on aesthetics. @Heathener being a late middle aged woman, likely puts more value on moral worth or vibrancy, as aesthetics are no longer her calling card
    Moral worth is certainly not your calling card.
  • Options

Yes. General opinion is we've had two outliers today. Their average is probably where we are. That is, no change really. Yet again.
  • Options
  • Options

Loving all the suggestions for where to move to. I think maybe we might be doing a few trips away over the next 18 months to check some of these places out.

Thanks all!

Oh, we were doing suggestions.....?!

How about Birkenhead North?
    https://flickr.com/photos/arthurjohnpicton/4200516744
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes. General opinion is we've had two outliers today. Their average is probably where we are. That is, no change really. Yet again.
    I'd agree yeah. Its a bottom and top end poll wuth LLG onky a very average 57, just with missing Tories too
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

ping said:

I’ve just had a reasonable-sized punt on the tories in T&H @ 4/1

How much?
    £250
  • Options
    Labour unveils plans to seek limited changes to Brexit deal
    - David Lammy, the shadow foreign secretary, confirms party won’t seek to rejoin single market or EU bloc

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/23/labour-unveil-plans-to-seek-limited-changes-to-brexit-deal
  • Options

JACK_W said:

It has been postulated that Johnson asked his supporters to send in letters at that moment in order to get the vote out of the way.
    I've never really been convinced by this.

It's harder to draw a line.

If (and it's still "if") the Tories lose tonight on swings in the region of 10% to Labour and 30% to Lib Dems, it's written up as the People's No Confidence Vote.

One possibility is they get away with it - hold in T&H, narrow loss or narrow hold in Wakefield. In which case, it was a needless risk to trigger the MP vote.

But the other is they don't. In which case it's nightmarish. He's a dead man walking with no "win" in prospect to put him back on track. Could unravel quickly.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

I wonder if Boris's allies actually sent in a load on no-confidence letters to get the vote done early, knowing that if it came after the by-elections it would be curtains.
  • Options

Labour campaigners in Wakefield confident of victory. One reckoned the party's on course for a result similar to '17 when Lab had 2k majority(Tories won w/ 3k in '19), depending on how indys do

But others say that's pessimistic & estimate 4k (NB: on smaller, by-election turnout)

I suspect that is expectation management Horse, a win by 2000 or even 4000 would be a poor effort against this backdrop
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Ridiculous comment.

I was at several of the public meetings when Topsham was cut off from Exeter constituency and there were a lot of protests from the locals. Ben Bradshaw was understandably keen to get rid of it.

• Options
    Early lines

LABOUR :"The message we have heard is clear: many are coming back to Labour under Keir Starmer’s leadership.”

LDs: "A huge mountain to climb... if the Cons lose significant numbers of votes tonight...there will be countless Cons MPs looking over their shoulders"

https://twitter.com/LouisDegenhardt/status/1540080897998962691
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

When i was at Uni, someone called QVC “Quim Vagina C*nt” and I’ve never been able to see it in any light other than that, ever since

I apologise if this similarly ruins such a delightful channel for anyone else
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Ridiculous comment.

Well, I don't pretend to know local sensibilities, but 1) it's within the city council, and 2) it's about 15 minutes walk from Topsham to Sandy Park. Unless I am thinking of the wrong place. So I'd say there was at least a smidgen of ambiguity about this.
    But doesn't dismissing the population of Topsham as rather snooty fall into the same category as dismissing Exeter as rather dreary?
    It's true that it's very much an oddity. Neither those in Topsham nor those in Exeter see it as Exeter.

It's been East Devon constituency since 2010 and that's certainly a case of the Boundary Commission getting it right.
  • Options
    *TORIES*
    Very downbeat. “Barring some unseen miracle we’re going to lose them both” says one source. Another when asked how it’s looking says simply “bad”. 2/

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1540082788132691970
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Food-wise the best thing about Exeter was Pipers Farm shop, but they deliver nationwide, so. I did recommend the environs, but that was in the context of the restriction of recommending somewhere in the south. The only thing I really miss about the place is the shoe shop Chuckles, and its proprietor. He's insanely good at what he does.
    Pipers. If that's the same as the crisps it's bound to be good. You can't beat Walkers cheese & onion for everyday but as a treat it has to be Pipers. I have a big bag of them first Friday of every month.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

Well quite.

Back in the day the men in grey suits simply placed the political pearl handled revolver on the desk and the deed was done. Now Boris will have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto the scaffold and will likely be spouting utter bullsh*t well after his blond locks have settled in the guillotine basket.
  • Options
    *TORIES*
    Very downbeat. “Barring some unseen miracle we’re going to lose them both” says one source. Another when asked how it’s looking says simply “bad”. 2/
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

To execute a conversational handbrake turn via a tenuous link, that reminds me of a chocolate bar that recently came into my ownership. "Look inside the wrapper", it said. So I did. "Why do we break up our chocolate unevenly?"the inide of the wrapper asked, rhetorically. The bar was indeed split into uneven chunks. "To us, it doesn't make sense to split a chocolate bar into uneven chunks when the profits of the chocolate industry Re divided unequally."
    Now, a non-sequitur on that scale is probably the most irritating thing about it all. But honestly, the sheer, dull, worthiness of it. It's not appealing.
    Maybe it is to some people. I'd rather have a product that didn't try to make me feel bad.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Ridiculous comment.

I was at several of the public meetings when Topsham was cut off from Exeter constituency and there were a lot of protests from the locals. Ben Bradshaw was understandably keen to get rid of it.

Although funnily enough I believe it went Labour this year.
  • Options
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,308
    JACK_W said:

You sure they weren't talking about Disraeli, Jack?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Early lines

LABOUR :"The message we have heard is clear: many are coming back to Labour under Keir Starmer’s leadership.”

LDs: "A huge mountain to climb... if the Cons lose significant numbers of votes tonight...there will be countless Cons MPs looking over their shoulders"

https://twitter.com/LouisDegenhardt/status/1540080897998962691

Lol the LDs are telllng you its in the bag there
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137

*TORIES*
    Very downbeat. “Barring some unseen miracle we’re going to lose them both” says one source. Another when asked how it’s looking says
    simply “bad”. 2/

Oh dear what a shame

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

To execute a conversational handbrake turn via a tenuous link, that reminds me of a chocolate bar that recently came into my ownership. "Look inside the wrapper", it said. So I did. "Why do we break up our chocolate unevenly?"the inide of the wrapper asked, rhetorically. The bar was indeed split into uneven chunks. "To us, it doesn't make sense to split a chocolate bar into uneven chunks when the profits of the chocolate industry Re divided unequally."
    Now, a non-sequitur on that scale is probably the most irritating thing about it all. But honestly, the sheer, dull, worthiness of it. It's not appealing.
    Maybe it is to some people. I'd rather have a product that didn't try to make me feel bad.
    That, to me, says "we don't want you as a customer" (aka the Ryanair gambit).

And now, as it's past midnight here and CHB and Scott seem determined to fill the comments by pasting the same tweets as each other, I'll call it a day. Night all.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139

- David Lammy, the shadow foreign secretary, confirms party won’t seek to rejoin single market or EU bloc

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/23/labour-unveil-plans-to-seek-limited-changes-to-brexit-deal

Unfortunately I believe Labour cannot be seen to be remotely pro-EU. The political damage would be enormous.

A sensible Conservative leader,
    on the other hand could agree to closer ties, and that would enhance their electoral chances too.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

*TORIES*
    Very downbeat. “Barring some unseen miracle we’re going to lose them both” says one source. Another when asked how it’s looking says
    simply “bad”. 2/

Oh dear what a shame

Presumably Johnsons cronies will blame it on mid term blues. Yeah, right
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

Well quite.

Back in the day the men in
    grey suits simply placed the political pearl handled revolver on the desk and
    the deed was done. Now Boris will have to be dragged
    kicking and screaming onto the scaffold and will likely be
    spouting utter bullsh*t well after his blond locks have
    settled in the guillotine basket.
    Petrol prices have been rising virtually every day for a month Few govts can withstand that

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    dixiedean said:

Yep that Lab 5 or 6 pt lead is looking set in cement. Only a fool would assume there's still much uncertainty and things could change before the general election.
  • Options
    It’s OK tho because the BBC has the Nigerian politician organ harvesting story in….. pidgin? Creole? WTF is this?

Organ harvesting or evidence of organ harvesting dey for various kontries for di world.
    Especially for places like China, India, and di Sinai Peninsula.
    Na so international society for human rights tok.
    Organ transplantation for People’s Republic of China dey boom well-well, for dia di number of transplants dey rise.
    Evidence suggest say dem murder pipo to sell and transplant dia organs –wit allege involvement and support of goment agencies.
    Most cases of organ harvesting in di world dey take place for China.
    Egypt na di regional hub of organ trafficking. According to World Health Organization.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/articles/cy69g5yzp47o

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

Just as the earliest sunset is roughly Dec 14th.
    True but incomprehensible to me at least. You or rather I would expect an offset in the same direction each time but actually there's only 5 and a half months from latest to earliest
  • Options
    *TORIES*
    Source argues in Tiverton it’s essentially been 3 elections
    - One when vote triggered due to porn-watching MP and chunk of Tories decided they’d protest vote
    - Another when postal votes dropped almost exactly on day of confidence vote
    - Then today. Few persuadables left

Time up
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Ridiculous comment.

This is a different thing from identifying with Exeter.

The argument is you don't want to be an "orphan" ward, where your MP and staff only really interact with the Council for a handful of issues in a very limited area. Ben Bradshaw has clout with Exeter City Council officers. They honestly won't give a shit what Simon Jupp (or Hugo Swire before him) says.

Just on a practical basis, this is a really solid argument. Does it mean Topsham feels like a suburb of Exeter? No.

• Options
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

That, to me, says "we don't want you as a customer" (aka the Ryanair gambit).

And now, as it's past midnight here and CHB and Scott seem determined to fill the comments by pasting the same tweets as each other, I'll call it a day. Night all.
    That's kind of how I felt.
    It was a nice chocolate bar. But a bit of chocolate is there for a cheap bit of pleasure. If you take the pleasure away by preaching at me, it becomes pointless. It wasn't massively nicer than a bar of Dairy Milk, and Dairy Milk appears to accept me for what I am.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Well:

I agree with that, it was somewhere I have thought about moving to.

Not far away, Shrewsbury is the same - and possibly even less well known. If it had a Cathedral, everyone would go there, but it doesn't, so nobody does. Most people just whizz past on the A5 towards North Wales. They should stop - I went for the first time only last year and was pleasantly surprised. And it is surrounded by varied countryside.
  • Options

JACK_W said:

You sure they weren't talking about Disraeli, Jack?
    No, that's a zoom call with Benji and Will Gladstone in the morning ..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Nights are drawing in.

When i was at Uni, someone called QVC “Quim Vagina C*nt” and I’ve never been able to see it in any light other than that, ever since

I apologise if this similarly ruins such a delightful channel for anyone else
    Some of us only watch it for the quim.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,562
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:
    Looking after someone's luggage ought to be a no-brainer for 100% of people.
  • Options

Could see Tories tanking in polls further as recession now looks inevitable Could though see a Farage type offshoot develop

Yep that Lab 5 or 6 pt lead is looking set in cement. Only a fool would assume there's still much uncertainty and things could change before the general election.

• Options
    EXCLUSIVE: I am told Keir Starmer will head to Wakefield if Labour wins
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

It would be more of a story if he wasn’t going to go.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

Expectations management…?

“No, Mr. Johnson, we expect you to resign.”
  • Options

*TORIES*
    Source argues in Tiverton it’s essentially been 3 elections
    - One when vote triggered due to porn-watching MP and chunk of Tories decided they’d protest vote
    - Another when postal votes dropped almost exactly on day of confidence vote
    - Then today. Few persuadables left

Time up

Perhaps the stark realisation will cross the Tory party when they realise there’s about 290 ish seats less safe than Tiverton
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited June 2022
    Endillion said:

Congratulations to Ukraine (and Moldova) on attaining EU candidate member status.

However, I am confused. This candidate member status - described by President of the European Council Charles Michel as "a crucial step on your path towards the EU" seems to be the same one that Turkey has had for some years. However, during and after the referendum campaign, I was repeatedly informed on here (and other places) that there was no chance of Turkey joining the EU, ever, and claiming otherwise, was in some way bigoted. Which is it?

Being on the path doesnt mean you are progressing down the path. Turkey has been on it for decades and is if anything going backwards. They dont even seem to want it anymore.

It was not dishonest to say EU membership was officially a target for Turkey. It was dishonest to pretend it was imminent or even likely, which was the implication.

I said so at the time and was a leaver then.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

Trashy post even by your standards
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Pipers. If that's the same as the crisps it's bound to be good. You can't beat Walkers cheese & onion for everyday but as a treat it has to be Pipers. I have a big bag of them first Friday of every month.
    No, a different outfit, but the best meat I've eaten in the UK. I think we tried beef mince from one place in Scotland after we moved away, and then decided to get it delivered from Pipers Farm instead. We don't eat meat at every meal, so when we do we don't want it to be disappointing. Pipers Farm
  • Options
    edited June 2022

If they dont win he should head to bed. Without supper
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What time are we expecting declarations?

Presumably Wakefield will come in before T&H?

Declaration times at the last 3 elections:

Tiverton & Honinton:

2019 — 4:49am
    2017 — 4:50am
    2015 — 7:54am

Wakefield:

2019 — 3:40am
    2017 — 4:55am
    2015 — 6:08am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mVF_IPhgNgMar-oH3Q4XhWJnpVt4UiECLkFhDIXwZlY/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Could see Tories tanking in polls further as recession now looks inevitable Could though see a Farage type offshoot develop

Rod Crosby used to love challenges like that.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

GIN1138 said:

JACK_W said:

Well quite.

Back in the day the men in grey suits simply placed the political pearl handled revolver on the desk and the deed was done. Now Boris will have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto the scaffold and will likely be spouting utter bullsh*t well after his blond locks have settled in the guillotine basket.
    Out of interest how's your mate Ex-Speaker Bercow holding up now he's been exposed as a bully, banned from Parliament and no broadcaster in the land seems to want to go near him with a ten foot barge pole?
  • Options
    PJH said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Well:

Not far away, Shrewsbury is the same - and possibly even less well known. If it had a Cathedral, everyone would go there, but it doesn't, so nobody does. Most people just whizz past on the A5 towards North Wales. They should stop - I went for the first time only last year and was pleasantly surprised. And it is surrounded by varied countryside.
    Yep. Ditto Ludlow, Kington, Leominster, Ledbury and others

The Welsh Marches are the lost but preserved loveliness of England, and long may they remain so

They bring with them a pang, however. When you walk around a largely unspoiled town like Ledbury or Ross you realise that, once, all of England was like this
  • Options

Regardless of what happens to Johnson I think much of the red wall is now lost

• Options
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Guns have killed more Americans than all the combined wars they’ve fought including their Civil War .

And yet still nothing changes . And with today’s SCOTUS decision effectively expanding gun rights there really comes a point when if you live in Europe you just have to give up on the country .

It's a democracy. They all have a vote. IMHO more of them should use it, but it isn't our call. How they run it is a matter for them.

No, a handful of SC justices have a vote.
    NY elected an administration which enacted gun control regulations which the court has just set aside.

Public opinion is pretty clear:
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2022/05/26/new-poll-shows-huge-support-for-gun-restrictions-00035349
    The SC seems disproportionately powerful as an institution compared the the other branches. A handful of people who serve direct decades can pursue their political aims without much hindrance, so long as they are patient in waiting for a case to use as a pretext.
  • Options

If they dont win he should head to bed. Without supper
    If Labour doesn't win Wakefield he should just go home and never appear in public again...
  • Options
    Newsnight's Nick Watt:

"Tories in Tiverton — very long faces "
  • Options
    PJH said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Any ideas?

Well:

I haven't been to Shrewsbury since 1998.
    But liked it. As did my girlfriend at the time, sort of. She called it a 'less-bad version of Durham'.
    She was not given to great displays of unreserved enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

What time are we expecting declarations?

Presumably Wakefield will come in before T&H?

Declaration times at the last 3 elections:

Tiverton & Honinton:

2019 — 4:49am
    2017 — 4:50am
    2015 — 7:54am

Wakefield:

2019 — 3:40am
    2017 — 4:55am
    2015 — 6:08am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mVF_IPhgNgMar-oH3Q4XhWJnpVt4UiECLkFhDIXwZlY/edit#gid=0
    Thanks Andy J. With much smaller turnouts we may have this wrapped up by around 3am then?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

She’s spent the entire evening calling me a liar and a bullshitter and asking that I be banned

Now, you may agree. You probably do. You’re a halfwit. But if someone is going to be consistently rude I will eventually be catty in my replies
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    micktrain said:

Regardless of what happens to Johnson I think much of the red wall is now lost

If the Tories only lose Wakefield by say 4,000 votes that won't necessarily be true.
  • Options
    Langbaurgh just got a mention on Newsnight. The constituency which is now known as Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Newsnight's Nick Watt:

"Tories in Tiverton — very long faces "

Very long faeces?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    micktrain said:

*TORIES*
    simply “bad”. 2/

Oh dear what a shame

Good evening Mr Lynch
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

She’s spent the entire evening calling me a liar and a bullshitter and asking that I be banned

Now, you may agree. You probably do. You’re a halfwit. But if someone is going to be consistently rude I will eventually be catty in my replies
    But you are a liar and a bullshitter, and you have been banned on multiple occasions.

As for “consistently rude”?!? Jeepers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Guns have killed more Americans than all the combined wars they’ve fought including their Civil War .

And yet still nothing changes . And with today’s SCOTUS decision effectively expanding gun rights there really comes a point when if you live in Europe you just have to give up on the country .

It's a democracy. They all have a vote. IMHO more of them should use it, but it isn't our call. How they run it is a matter for them.

No, a handful of SC justices have a vote.
    NY elected an administration which enacted gun control regulations which the court has just set aside.

Public opinion is pretty clear:
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2022/05/26/new-poll-shows-huge-support-for-gun-restrictions-00035349
    The SC seems disproportionately powerful as an institution compared the the other branches. A handful of people who serve direct decades can pursue their political aims without much hindrance, so long as they are patient in waiting for a case to use as a pretext.
    They don't have to be that patient. There are plenty enough people to cooperate with in the State legislatures who will pass legislation for the purpose of triggering a court challenge.
  • Options

Unfortunately I believe Labour cannot be seen to be remotely pro-EU. The political damage would be enormous.

A sensible Conservative leader,
    on the other hand could agree to closer ties, and that would enhance their electoral chances too.
    Only Nixon could go to China?

• Options

I'm told the sun will rise tomorrow...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,870
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Night all.

xx

Quite so

She is a total button wanting everyone who does not agree with her crap to be banned. You are in good company leon.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,192
    Exeter is in the South East of England, according to the strictures of the Network Railcard. So you can have 1/3 off rail travel to London and other points east, at any age.
This discussion has been closed.