Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The June 23rd by-elections – what happened at GE2019 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories have got this strike badly wrong I feel.

Nurses, doctors, Uber drivers, barristers now joining the strike. Public opinion is only going one way IMHO

Yes, they could have slightly reduced the increase in pensions instead of pressing ahead with it regardless.
    It was unforced. They could have filed it as to be announced later. They keep putting off what the NHS and teachers will be offered. They could have done the same. They just aren't very competent. Simple.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    dixiedean said:

When Mick Lynch stares into the abyss, the abyss sheepishly averts its gaze.

I fear Mick is leading his supporters into the abyss I don't know about anything else... ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Nurses, doctors, Uber drivers, barristers now joining the strike. Public opinion is only going one way IMHO

Yes, they could have slightly reduced the increase in pensions instead of pressing ahead with it regardless.
    It was unforced. They could have filed it as to be announced later. They keep putting off what the NHS and teachers will be offered. They could have done the same. They just aren't very competent. Simple.
    It's less about competence and more about Big Dog's continuous drive to throw stuff out that might get a good tabloid/Mail headline.

This is government by press release like no other.

So, in the witches coven that is No 10 strategy, they thought a quick positive hit about pensions would help against strikes and cost of living headlines.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2022
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

I fear Mick is leading his supporters into the abyss I don't know about anything else... ;)
    He's leading them into a well below inflation pay agreement that he can paint as a victory. What do you think the settlement will be?
    Anything above 3% is a win. Do you think it will be below that?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Thursday's Express: "It's only fair! Rishi defends £1,000 boost to pensions"

Aha, we locked down to save them and our student loans get jacked up 11%, fuck off you twat

I thought we locked down to "save" the NHS? ;)
    NHS was already broken, it can't be saved whilst the Tories are in Government
    Well the NHS has successfully treated me for cancer this year. I can't fault the treatment I've had honestly.

Since it's formation the Tories have been in power for the majority of the NHS's life and it's still going strong from what I can see....
    Not sure "strong" is the right word there to be honest.

It's limping along, with huge differences of performance and outcomes, many postcode related and so on.

Indeed, but its problems are not merely because the Tories are in goverment and Labour are needed to 'save it' from them. If the clarion calls on that were true it wouldn't be limping now, it'd be dead.
    IF the rumours of Mandelson/Campbell are true then we won't be wanting for any repetition of a slogan or narrative.
    Anywhere. Ever
    Intriguing, please add more?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

He's leading them into a well below inflation pay agreement that he can paint as a victory. What do you think the settlement will be?
    I doubt anyone who strikes will get the full fat inflation rise which could be 11% by September.

I would guess a lot of fudging over future years pay and so on and a figure around 6 or 7%
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Anything above 3% is a win. Do you think it will be below that?
    I still think long term, technology will make the vast majority of rail workers redundant and he is probably hastening the demise of their jobs...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Aha, we locked down to save them and our student loans get jacked up 11%, fuck off you twat

I thought we locked down to "save" the NHS? ;)
    NHS was already broken, it can't be saved whilst the Tories are in Government
    Well the NHS has successfully treated me for cancer this year. I can't fault the treatment I've had honestly.

Before bed, as I don't want to tempt fate before my first 3 monthly scan in July, I should add the NHS has *HOPEFULLY* successfully treated me for cancer this year.

Given it's still very early days and when it comes to the "C" all bets are off....

So far so good but still a long way to go... But up to now the treatment I've received has been amazing.

NHS = 10/10 for me.
    Very best of luck, GIN.
    Thanks Nick. :)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't know why but the Betfair Exchange odds seem to be slightly moving in the Tories direction re the Tiverton by-election.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics-betting-2378961

I think they are still the value bet. It is a massive majority in a Tory heartland. I bought at longer odds though.
    True but still this is my final prediction for Tiverton & Honiton:

Liberal Democrats 46.9%
    Conservative 39.3%
    Labour 5.8%
    Green 3.4%
    Reform UK 3.1%
    Heritage Party 0.7%
    UKIP 0.5%
    For Britain 0.3%
    Could you be more precise, please? :)
    Sounds right but a bit closer, I suspect - 43-39-6? The Tories seem to have given up in Wakefield, unless it's just the media not bothering that far north, so perhaps 48-36 or thereabouts there.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

Given Major lost 2 by elections in one day in 1991 and won in 1992 I doubt even a double loss on Thursday is fatal for Boris

The two seats were lost on swings of 11.4% (K&D to the Lib Dems) and 3.6% (Langbaurgh to Labour). Indeed, the latter swing wasn't all that much larger than the 2% General Election swing to Labour nationally five months later.

They were rightly seen at the time as actually reasonably positive results for the Tories, who had lost Monmouth to Labour on a much bigger 12.6% swing in May, and Ribble Valley to the Lib Dems on a 24.7% swing in March 1991.

People will be looking at direction of travel. Birmingham Erdington was a 4.5% swing to Labour in March, and Old Bexley a 10.2% swing in December (although neither seat changed hands). North Shropshire was a 34.2% swing to the Lib Dems in December, and Chesham & Amersham 24.7% last June.

Those are the benchmarks. If Labour is in the 7-10% swing range, and Lib Dems 25-30%, that feels like "no change, no chance" for the Tories.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    Betfair has in the last few hours swung back towards the LibDems taking Tiverton & Honiton: 1.25 vs 3.95 Con. Unibet still offers 4/11 against the LibDems.

In Wakefield, Betfair has 1.01 Labour vs 85 Conservative. Betvictor is as short as 1/500.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Morning all, happy by-elections day!
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    its a tricky day for Tory MPs.... both seats represent very different bases of BJ's support, a narrow Lib Dem win will and a defeat in Wakefield seems a reasonable outcome for BJ *although a Tory win-win is eviidently preferred. Wakefield's majority/Labour vote will be perhaps the most interesting as Lib Dems winning byelections is nothing new, is how KS cuts through that counts.
    FWIW I have money on a Wakefield Lab and Tiverton staying Blue (most attractive odds as opposed to what I think)
    an interesting night beckons, is it an overnight count?
  • Options

its a tricky day for Tory MPs.... both seats represent very different bases of BJ's support, a narrow Lib Dem win will and a defeat in Wakefield seems a reasonable outcome for BJ *although a Tory win-win is eviidently preferred. Wakefield's majority/Labour vote will be perhaps the most interesting as Lib Dems winning byelections is nothing new, is how KS cuts through that counts.
    FWIW I have money on a Wakefield Lab and Tiverton staying Blue (most attractive odds as opposed to what I think)
    an interesting night beckons, is it an overnight count?

The Times suggests yes, with results expected between 4 and 6am.
  • Options
    GCSE removes Wilfred Owen and Larkin in diversity push

OCR, one of the three main exam boards, has removed works by John Keats, Thomas Hardy, Wilfred Owen and Larkin from its English literature syllabus from this September.

Some poems by Hardy and Keats will remain, but there will be no poetry by Larkin, Seamus Heaney or Owen, whose Anthem for Doomed Youth is on the present syllabus.

The “conflict” section of the anthology contains none of the best known First World War poets, such as Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke and Robert Graves.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gcse-removes-wilfred-owen-and-larkin-in-diversity-push-9s5d788ld (£££)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10944067/Keats-Hardy-axed-diversity-drive-GCSEs-introduce-exciting-voices-teaching.html

tbh I'd have thought 45 poems for GCSE sounds a bit OTT in the first place.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Tres said:

eek said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

This week’s New EUROPEAN: “Six years after the referendum, that list of Brexit benefits in full:” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1539713398803501056/photo/1

It ended free movememt which is what the mainly working class Leave voters voted for
    Yes, to drive up wages for working class people via full employment and labour shortages.

For example rail workers...
    Absolutely, where there is high demand, there will be high demand for staff, which will drive up wages. That is the free market in action.

Unfortunately for the RMT, demand for railways hasn't been lower for many, many years now.
    So skilled working class folk can get shafted by the mega rich? That is a different type of Brexit to what the Red wall voted.

It's hard to disagree with Mick Lynch, indeed he has a flair for pithy sayings:

Skilled working class folk absolutely are getting better pay and conditions freely in the market because their skills are in high demand.

The railways are not in high demand. Instead of making the railways even less in-demand, maybe the RMT could be co-operative and aim to help ensure people want to use the railways again, instead of railway staff being considered surplus to requirements?
    Rail passenger numbers are now at 90% of pre Covid levels.

Yet demand should be 30-40% lower due to working from home.

Leisure and longer journeys are at levels way higher than before covid.
    So should rail staff be getting paid 90% of their pre-Covid wages then?

Perhaps frozen wages and 10% inflation would do the trick?
    Bozo the clown is stupid enough to be fighting multiple battles with the RMT at the same time.

So as soon as the money issue is solved (which seems to be the bit Shapps is talking about) the next problem will all be about safety

A note today that the mail was talking about people not being able to work on different lines - yep it’s like planes, you don’t want engineers who know how a Boeing 747 works working on an airbus 320 without some prior training.

You don’t want people working on a different track when it has signals and power from a different supplier. Now that problem was something that network rail wanted to standardise years ago but prior Tory Governments but the Kabosh on that plan
    Other subject of planes why does a train driver earn more than an airline pilot?
    Because train driving is more dangerous?
    Lol
  • Options
    Now students call for LESS free speech... and one in ten wants to BAN Tory party from campuses, study shows
    University students have become less tolerant in the past six years
    One in ten want to ban the Conservative Party from campuses, a study showed
    More than a third think academics should be fired if they 'teach material that heavily offends some students'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10944075/Now-students-call-free-speech-one-ten-wants-BAN-Tory-party-campuses.html
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

OCR, one of the three main exam boards, has removed works by John Keats, Thomas Hardy, Wilfred Owen and Larkin from its English literature syllabus from this September.

Some poems by Hardy and Keats will remain, but there will be no poetry by Larkin, Seamus Heaney or Owen, whose Anthem for Doomed Youth is on the present syllabus.

The “conflict” section of the anthology contains none of the best known First World War poets, such as Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke and Robert Graves.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gcse-removes-wilfred-owen-and-larkin-in-diversity-push-9s5d788ld (£££)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10944067/Keats-Hardy-axed-diversity-drive-GCSEs-introduce-exciting-voices-teaching.html

The idea of set texts for a literature exam is pretty dispiriting, regardless of which texts are chosen. It seems like a good example of a subject poorly suited to assessment by exam, compared to something like Maths.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Pay the money you borrowed and stop whining. You either benefitted with a good job of you leave the poor to pick up your tab for years pissing it up at uni wasting pensioners hard earned pittance. Stop blaming other people for your uselessness
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    malcolmg said:

Pay the money you borrowed and stop whining. You either benefitted with a good job of you leave the poor to pick up your tab for years pissing it up at uni wasting pensioners hard earned pittance. Stop blaming other people for your uselessness
    Are the student loans running at 11%?.... thats horrendous.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2022
    Completely mad:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/maradona-eight-doctors-and-nurses-who-cared-for-footballer-face-homicide-charges-12638816

Maradona: Eight doctors and nurses who cared for footballer face homicide charges

The star, who underwent surgery for a subdural haematoma a few weeks prior to his death, died due to cardiac arrest.

Prosecutors now claim his death was the result of "omissions" by his caregivers.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited June 2022

Now students call for LESS free speech... and one in ten wants to BAN Tory party from campuses, study shows
    More than a third think academics should be fired if they 'teach material that heavily offends some students'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10944075/Now-students-call-free-speech-one-ten-wants-BAN-Tory-party-campuses.html

A famous philosopher/polemicist recently suggested that Universities are becoming seminaries for woke propogandists.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    Good morning.

I suspect a lot of you, and the markets, are going to be surprised at the size of the LibDem win in Tiverton & Honiton.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

They were going to be 12% this September, but HMG has capped them at 7.3%

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/student-loan-interest-rates-capped
  • Options
    edited June 2022

If you strip out all the Daily Mail nonsense you're left with a couple of fair ideas.

One is that hatred shouldn't be taught on campus

The other is to ban the Conservative Party.

All good student stuff. The country would be a better place if it followed suit ;)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

malcolmg said:

What is quite amazing how completely and utterly useless young people are at asserting themselves politically. They don't seem to even realise that they are being screwed over. The NI increase went through without a murmur of dissent. Whack up taxes, change the terms of student loans, keep giving bungs to pensioners so they vote tory.... Zero opposition (or even interest) from young people. It is astonishing.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Most never pay a penny though
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't know why but the Betfair Exchange odds seem to be slightly moving in the Tories direction re the Tiverton by-election.

I think they are still the value bet. It is a massive majority in a Tory heartland. I bought at longer odds though.

Liberal Democrats 46.9%
    Conservative 39.3%
    Labour 5.8%
    Green 3.4%
    Reform UK 3.1%
    Heritage Party 0.7%
    UKIP 0.5%
    For Britain 0.3%
    Sounds reasonable
    I wouldn't really argue with this but I think Labour may do a little better. I don't think their vote has been squeezed as much as it might. The Greens have been utterly invisible but I suppose their core is resilient.
  • Options
    It's very typical of the Daily Mail to be stoking a campus culture war. Students have often been revolting. It's part of the point.

I mean back in the day, student protest was an actual thing. Kind-of agree with @darkage below therefore.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
  • Options
    Also turnout will be interesting. You'd generally expect a seat like this to be high by by-election standards, but the campaign has been very low key. Plus many Tories are going to show their feelings by deliberately staying at home rather than switching.
  • Options
    darkage said:

malcolmg said:

What is quite amazing how completely and utterly useless young people are at asserting themselves politically. They don't seem to even realise that they are being screwed over. The NI increase went through without a murmur of dissent. Whack up taxes, change the terms of student loans, keep giving bungs to pensioners so they vote tory.... Zero opposition (or even interest) from young people. It is astonishing.
    That is because most are useless. They spend a few years at uni and think they are big shots when in fact they mainly struggle to wipe their own arses. They then whine incessantly about only earning 50k while complaining that all all those nasty pensioners who worked and paid taxes for 50 years are living high on the hog on their 9k pensions.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Conservative 39.3%
    Way too high for the tories there. In my humble opinion.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Heathener said:

It's very typical of the Daily Mail to be stoking a campus culture war. Students have often been revolting. It's part of the point.

I mean back in the day, student protest was an actual thing. Kind-of agree with @darkage below therefore.

The student protests when I was at QMW in 1991 to 1994 were rather pathetic. There was a student sit-in with some students boasting that they'd had sex on the principal's desk.

It wasn't exactly rage against the machine, more like incoherent stropping.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

If you strip out all the Daily Mail nonsense you're left with a couple of fair ideas.

One is that hatred shouldn't be taught on campus

The other is to ban the Conservative Party.

All good student stuff. The country would be a better place if it followed suit ;)
    "One is that hatred shouldn't be taught on campus"

Well, hatred should not be 'taught'. And I doubt any UK university is teaching hate. But the problem with that is that 'hate' is a nebulous concept, especially when it comes to speech. Just because you do not like what someone is saying, does not make it 'hate'.

"Ban the Conservative Party."

Hence showing you are nothing more than a troll. ;)
  • Options
    Let's ban the Labour Party from universities.

After all, 'labour' implies work, and we all know students don't work. ;)

(runs for cover)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    F off and get it yourself
    Ps, 77% don't pay it back
  • Options
    JonWC said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Liberal Democrats 46.9%
    Conservative 39.3%
    Labour 5.8%
    Green 3.4%
    Reform UK 3.1%
    Heritage Party 0.7%
    UKIP 0.5%
    For Britain 0.3%
    Sounds reasonable
    I wouldn't really argue with this but I think Labour may do a little better. I don't think their vote has been squeezed as much as it might. The Greens have been utterly invisible but I suppose their core is resilient.
    My experience has been that the Green vote is generally very open to the idea of voting tactically, but they surprised me by increasing their vote in North Shropshire, and only losing about a third of their vote in Chesham & Amersham.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

Just your usual foul-mouthed Gammon rant.

No wonder people like you are disdained by young people. And normal people.
  • Options

Let's ban the Labour Party from universities.

After all, 'labour' implies work, and we all know students don't work. ;)

(runs for cover)

Oh but according to the Daily Mail Labour isn't working either
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?
  • Options

Heathener said:

The student protests when I was at QMW in 1991 to 1994 were rather pathetic. There was a student sit-in with some students boasting that they'd had sex on the principal's desk.

It wasn't exactly rage against the machine, more like incoherent stropping.
    Was kind-of referring to the real student protest movement of the sixties and seventies.

A former colleague of mine organised one of the sit-ins. All good stuff.

I think it was all a lot more lively when students were spaffing other people's money. Soon as it was their own purse the climate changed.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

You have fingers you pompous lazy git. Only 23% pay it back currently. Stick that up your pipe and smoke it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You over-stated your case to create board strife. Unsurprisingly.

The current pay back is 23% and expected to rise in 2023/4 to more than 50%.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01079/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

That is because most are useless. They spend a few years at uni and think they are big shots when in fact they mainly struggle to wipe their own arses. They then whine incessantly about only earning 50k while complaining that all all those nasty pensioners who worked and paid taxes for 50 years are living high on the hog on their 9k pensions.
    Yep, they shouldn't go to uni. Better off with a secure job and good income, such as working on the railways.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

By what year will these numpties hold the levers of power? 2040? I’m going to be the grumpiest old man ever I think.

• Options

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?
    Not old enough, and of the wrong gender, to be called a gammon.

Am trying to vote on theT&H result via that Andy J link but sign-up has to be approved by a moderator. A little tedious. I reckon the tories are in for a very bad time. Just a hunch but I've had some feelers out in the area too.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

2040? I’m going to be the grumpiest old man ever I think.

You have a lot of competition on here ;)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Expected you dummy, bollox in other words. Bit like me expecting you to post sensible stuff in 2023, never going to happen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

Yep, they shouldn't go to uni. Better off with a secure job and good income, such as working on the railways.
    I think I shall bid you all good day.

The forum is more than normally populated by grumpy old, white, men this morning. I shall leave you all to dribble with anger into your cornflakes.

xx
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

Am trying to vote on theT&H result via that Andy J link but sign-up has to be approved by a moderator. A little tedious. I reckon the tories are in for a very bad time. Just a hunch but I've had
    some feelers out in the area too.
    Why is ok to spout the word gammon as an insult at a particular racial grouping? I’d rightly be banned if I called another poster by the N word.

• Options

JonWC said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Liberal Democrats 46.9%
    Conservative 39.3%
    Labour 5.8%
    Green 3.4%
    Reform UK 3.1%
    Heritage Party 0.7%
    UKIP 0.5%
    For Britain 0.3%
    Sounds reasonable
    My experience has been that the Green vote is generally very open to the idea of voting tactically, but they surprised me by increasing their vote in North Shropshire, and only losing about a third of their vote in Chesham & Amersham.
    Yes, I am on Greens for 3rd place in Wakefield, currently 5 with Smarkets.
  • Options

JonWC said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Liberal Democrats 46.9%
    Conservative 39.3%
    Labour 5.8%
    Green 3.4%
    Reform UK 3.1%
    Heritage Party 0.7%
    UKIP 0.5%
    For Britain 0.3%
    Sounds reasonable
    I can see the mechanism here. There are Tory voters who are very unimpressed with the government but who care very much about the environment in a conservation rather than blistering authoritarian kind of way. Tiverton and Honiton is a beautiful place to live and there are a lot of that kind of Tory here and maybe they will switch to Green as a gentle protest. Perhaps the Greens even keep their deposit, though you wouldn't know they are on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    This BBC Russian service news article on Russian volunteers receiving only 3-7 days of training before being sent to the front line is startling.

https://bbc.global.ssl.fastly.net/russian/features-61848550
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

The forum is more than normally populated by grumpy old, white, men this morning. I shall leave you all to dribble with anger into your cornflakes.

xx
    I was being tongue in cheek, echoing the PB perennial of too many of other people's children going to university, with the notion that they would be better getting proper jobs.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

This BBC Russian service news article on Russian volunteers receiving only 3-7 days of training before being sent to the front line is startling.

Many of them ‘got volunteered’, spent a week in training, got put in a 60-year-old T-64 tank, and sent into Ukraine to meet the NLAWs.

It’s quite sad what Putin is doing to his own people.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

The idea of set texts for a literature exam is pretty dispiriting, regardless of which texts are chosen. It seems like a good example of a subject poorly suited to assessment by exam, compared to something like Maths.
    You have similar problems in politics. For example, among the listed philosophers on feminism, you have bell hooks (sic) but not Mary Wollstonecraft. She's been shoehorned into Liberalism, which somehow overlooks Jeremy Bentham as a result.

Basically the problem with most of our exams is that they're written by complete idiots who don't have a clue what they're talking about, and actively rejected input from those who did I.e. teachers and academics.

Also your comment on an overstuffed curriculum is depressingly true. When Edexcel tried to persuade me that the History GCSE could be taught in 120 hours I pointed out they had listed 165 separate topics, all of which would take at least a lesson of an hour to cover. I estimated in fact that 200 hours to teach it all would be more like it.

That's not in fact as bad as OCR's attempt to say you could choose any historic site you liked for your exam and didn't need to inform the examiner as to what it was or anything about it, as they would intuitively know it all already, but it was exasperating.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 825
    moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

Am trying to vote on theT&H result via that Andy J link but sign-up has to be approved by a moderator. A little tedious. I reckon the tories are in for a very bad time. Just a hunch but I've had
    Why is ok to spout the word gammon as an insult at a particular racial grouping? I’d rightly be banned if I called another poster by the N word.

Whilst it isn't a word I'd use, and I think you are right to call out the poster for personal insults, there is clearly no equivalence here for the simple fact that old white men haven't been on the wrong side of systematic discrimination for centuries.

A better comparison would be with a word like fascist.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    maxh said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

Whilst it isn't a word I'd use, and I think you are right to call out the poster for personal insults, there is clearly no equivalence here for the simple fact that old white men haven't been on the wrong side of systematic discrimination for centuries.

We don't want to go down that route.

All other considerations aside, Heathener might find Hot Fuzz quoted at her...
  • Options
    maxh said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

Some people on here jump to Heathener's defence, saying she gets called names and treated badly. I'd just like to point out her posts this morning to show that she actually trolls people to get the reactions she does.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Expected you dummy, bollox in other words. Bit like me expecting you to post sensible stuff in 2023, never going to happen.
    What on Earth is wrong with you today? Why are you always so unspeakably rude? At his most frosty, even Leon doesn’t post in such a disgraceful manner. You’re behaving like a drunken pub boor. It is eminently reasonable for working age people to contest that an inflation indexed pensions rise (which will add significantly to national expenditure) is acceptable while they themselves are not receiving anything like that, and may be paying significant student loan repayments (the terms of which can change at a whim). If you disagree, make your arguments rather than ranting away at those who disagree.

Is there any wonder that the PB memetic pool is narrowing if this is the standard of ad-hominem argumentation which is tolerated? Do you want an echo chamber of elderly, overmonied men who just want to complain about whatever the yoof are up to now? Then there are alternatives. I started posting again because, occasionally, PB produces genuinely insightful debate in a way that only old fashioned forums do and I actually value that, even if you don’t.

Or, to TLDR all of that, I got knocked off my bike on Tuesday and it was less painful than reading your pish. Bloody well behave.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx
    I was being tongue in cheek, echoing the PB perennial of too many of other people's children going to university, with the notion that they would be better getting proper jobs.
    Do you not think there's a point to be made there? Why is 50% of people going to university the magic number? Why not 90%? 20%?

My nephew got the grades to go to uni, but chose instead to go into the Wonderful World of Work. He's now on a significantly higher salary than his friends who went to uni, and has a house (with mortgage).

One of the great education sins of the last 30 yeas has been this idea that kids must go to uni, and that kids who do not are somehow inferior.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Many of them ‘got volunteered’, spent a week in training, got put in a 60-year-old T-64 tank, and sent into Ukraine to meet the NLAWs.

The T-64s are apparently not so bad, particularly if they've been subsequently updated. It turns out that the more common T-72s and T-80s are derivations of the T-64 where the design was modified to be easier to manufacture (rather than better in combat).

A modernised T-64 is a lot better than a T-72A. It's the T-62s that were recently seen being sent towards the Luhansk front that are the real relics.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The T-64s are apparently not so bad, particularly if they've been subsequently updated. It turns out that the more common T-72s and T-80s are derivations of the T-64 where the design was modified to be easier to manufacture (rather than better in combat).

A modernised T-64 is a lot better than a T-72A. It's the T-62s that were recently seen being sent towards the Luhansk front that are the real relics.
    The T-64 is old but ok. The T-62 they’re dragging out of storage on the other hand…
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

maxh said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

Some people on here jump to Heathener's
    defence, saying she gets called names and
    treated badly. I'd just like to point out her
    posts this morning to show that she actually
    trolls people to get the reactions she does.
    Heathener seems to have settled well into the PB habit of dropping by, trading insults and invective, and departing again.
    I don't see all much difference from the rest of us gammons...

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Can @ydoethur shed any light in what is going on here ?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/jun/23/english-schools-warn-of-acute-teacher-shortages-without-inflation-plus-pay-deal
    ...In its submission in December, Zahawi asked the STRB to raise the starting salaries of new teachers to £30,000 – a Conservative manifesto commitment – over the next two years. But the DfE’s submission had salaries for more experienced teachers and school leaders rising much more slowly, by between 2% and 3%, with all pay increases coming from existing school budgets...
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx
    Do you not think there's a point to be made there? Why is 50% of people going to university the magic number? Why not 90%? 20%?

My nephew got the grades to go to uni, but chose instead to go into the Wonderful World of Work. He's now on a significantly higher salary than his friends who went to uni, and has a house (with mortgage).

One of the great education sins of the last 30 yeas has been this idea that kids must go to uni, and that kids who do not are somehow inferior.
    I don't think 50% is a magic number, but nearly all our international competitors have similar tertiary education rates, and even places like Mexico or Indonesia manage 15-20%.

A lot of our university courses are poorly taught, poorly designed and overpriced, but that is the fault of the system not of the students aspirations.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

Surely the point is that people have the choice. Get the grades, go if you want. Personally I would encourage people to get an education and see the world before locking themselves into he tedious world of work, nappies and mortgages. You’ll spend decades doing that.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    maxh said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evidence?
    None, in other words.

How old are you?

How is "gammon" describing a "particular racial grouping" in the first place? Is "bald white man who gets as angry as his head goes red" a racial group?

I've used gammon as a descriptor, and so what. Branding it racist is absurd. Its *insulting* and thats the point in using it. We're *trying* to be insulting at these small minded angry stupid men. But it doesn't describe all white people or all men or all white men or all working class people or all working class white men or all bald people or any combination of those you want to name.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Andy_JS said:

Or sell it with, “Look, we just killed off ten percent of pensioners, so a ten percent increase to the pensions of those remaining won’t be inflationary; it’s the same amount at the end of the day.”

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

Surely the point is that people have the choice. Get the grades, go if you want. Personally I would encourage people to get an education and see the world before locking themselves into he tedious world of work, nappies and mortgages. You’ll spend decades doing that.
    You also genuinely can’t do some lines of work without some sort of tertiary education. We don’t have enough engineers in the labour force, and that’s a career that needs a degree. You can start as a technician and get an accelerated degree later, but you still need to go do it. It’s the challenge of a service based economy innt? If you want high value service with a side order of high value manufacturing you need highly educated workers. That isn’t to say there isn’t any role for skilled manual or trades work, the guy who valets my car probably earns more than me, but on an economic level it makes sense to have a lot of university graduates. As Foxy said, poor courses do not help this.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    OnboardG1 said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

What on Earth is wrong with you today? Why are you always so unspeakably rude? At his most frosty, even Leon doesn’t post in such a disgraceful manner. You’re behaving like a drunken pub boor. It is eminently reasonable for working age people to contest that an inflation indexed pensions rise (which will add significantly to national expenditure) is acceptable while they themselves are not receiving anything like that, and may be paying significant student loan repayments (the terms of which can change at a whim). If you disagree, make your arguments rather than ranting away at those who disagree.

Is there any wonder that the PB memetic pool is narrowing if this is the standard of ad-hominem argumentation which is tolerated? Do you want an echo chamber of elderly, overmonied men who just want to complain about whatever the yoof are up to now? Then there are alternatives. I started posting again because, occasionally, PB produces genuinely insightful debate in a way that only old fashioned forums do and I actually value that, even if you don’t.

Or, to TLDR all of that, I got knocked off my bike on Tuesday and it was less painful than reading your pish. Bloody well behave.
    Good morning

Sorry to hear you were knocked off your bike, but rebuking @malcolmg is his raison d'etre and has been for years

He is part of the wide mosaic of posters and if he annoys you best to just move past his post
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning

Sorry to hear you were knocked off your bike, but rebuking @malcolmg is his raison d'etre and has been for years

He is part of the wide mosaic of posters and if he annoys you best to just move past his post
    Thank you, I got away with a few bumps and bruises so no real harm done, apart from to my poor bike.

I’m normally happy to move on (particularly from impacts with bumpers) but this was particularly aggressive, unnecessary, lacking in empathy and curmudgeonly and I didn’t feel it should pass without comment.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Morning all. Bit cloudy here this morning.

You're up and about early this morning Malc! On the other hand we don't seem to have settled down to a steady argument about anything; bit bitty! I suppose we're waiting for tomorrow and the by-election results.

Incidentally I am now dictating this but having to correct it afterwards; for example 'bitty' in the previous paragraph came out as 'bitchy! Should I have left it unchanged?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    I know this is off topic but this tragedy should not happen at sea today and the report is shocking

Nicola Faith fishing boat tragedy due to 'unsafe' practices at sea, report finds

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nicola-faith-fishing-boat-tragedy-24297778#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Talking about by-elections, have we talked about more "nothing to see here" Russian money influencing the Tory party? https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1539586676766527489
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

This is exactly the sort of issue I mean. Firstly, the idea that they don't have an education if they don't go to uni. Secondly, that not going to uni means they won't see the world. Thirdly, that work has to be tedious (with the implication that uni is all fun and laughter).

Uni is not, and should not be, an extended childhood. It should be a way of people getting skills that will improve their job prospects and enrich their lives. If they have fun doing so, fair enough. But (whispers quietly) working your people can have fun as well.

There is so much crummy disdain for people who do not go to uni. It's especially funny when it comes from people on the left, who decry classism and create their own class where they are the snobs, looking down on the inferior people who did not go to uni.

(I don't mean you in that last para)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx
    Racist as well assuming people are all white
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

You also genuinely can’t do some lines of work without some sort of tertiary education. We don’t have enough engineers in the labour force, and that’s a career that needs a degree. You can start as a technician and get an accelerated degree later, but you still need to go do it. It’s the challenge of a service based economy innt? If you want high value service with a side order of high value manufacturing you need highly educated workers. That isn’t to say there isn’t any role for skilled manual or trades work, the guy who valets my car probably earns more than me, but on an economic level it makes sense to have a lot of university graduates. As Foxy said, poor courses do not help this.
    Good point.

I am conscious that this debate is old as the hills. .

Not that long ago, some challenged whether secondary education was valuable and necessary for all kids. Before that, some challenged whether a full primary education was necessary for some kids. Same debate.

Personally, I believe that university education should be an option for all kids with the grades and that kids without a history of education in their family need support to make that informed choice.
  • Options

You're up and about early this morning Malc! On the other hand we don't seem to have settled down to a steady argument about anything; bit bitty! I suppose we're waiting for tomorrow and the by-election results.

Incidentally I am now dictating this but having to correct it afterwards; for example 'bitty' in the previous paragraph came out as 'bitchy! Should I have left it unchanged?

There’s a nice argument about percentages of uni educated workers to be had if you fancy chipping in. I need to find some suntan lotion because it’s roasting here and I’m deploying equipment in a field.
  • Options

Morning OKC, yes up early and having to deal with certain idiots , still gets me ready for the day ahead.
  • Options

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

This seems like a really really dumb attempt to argue justification to carry your deadly toy around with you whenever you want.

A medieval English law dating back nearly seven centuries is now at the heart of the most important US Supreme Court gun case in a decade.

The case - which stems from a New York legal battle - challenges a state law that requires that gun users who want a concealed carry permit first prove they have a valid reason.

To help them determine how broad the rights of America's many gun owners go, the country's nine supreme court judges are also looking back to the 1328 Statute of Northampton, which dates back to the reign of Edward III...

In a separate 2008 Supreme Court case that struck down strict Washington DC handgun laws, the late Justice Antonin Scalia argued that the Second Amendment to the US constitution codified "a pre-existing right" from England.

He added that by the time the United States was founded in 1776, the "right to have arms had become fundamental for English subjects."

Some historians, however, have disagreed with that assessment, noting that by the late 1200s, English authorities had passed laws restricting the right to carry weapons while traveling in public or in London.

The later 1328 Statute of Northampton - which predates the first recorded use of a firearm in Europe by several decades - declared that nobody "except the King's servants in his presence" will "go nor ride armed by night nor by day" in fairs, markets "nor in no part elsewhere"...

In a brief for the Supreme Court, attorney Paul Clement - who represents Mr Nash, Mr Koch and the New York Rifle and Pistol Association - wrote that the statute was only meant to control "unusual weapons" that would frighten the public

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59158248

I don't understand why if the 2nd Amendment allows 18 year olds to own semi-automatic weapons, why doesn't it also allow them to own fully automatic weapons, or grenades, or rocket launchers, or Napalm, or Tactical Nuclear Weapons
    It probably should. The whole point of the 2nd Amendment was to allow the people to overthrow the government if the government descended into tyranny.
    A US government of the late 18th century would only have muskets in its army, so allowing private citizens the same put them on an equal footing.
    Now the US army has nuclear weapons, the only real way for the citizens to effectively fight the US army (should it be needed) is to allow them the same weapons.

So really, yes, private US citizens should be allowed to buy tactical and strategic nuclear weapons, along with the delivery system.
    They could put them in their back yards.
    Except was that actually the point of the 2nd Amendment?

That is the line beloved of NRA types, but the less mentioned "well regulated militia" part of the Amendment rather suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Been having some problems with my Firefox browser (closing itself). Any recommendations?
  • Options

I know this is off topic but this tragedy should not happen at sea today and the report is shocking

Nicola Faith fishing boat tragedy due to 'unsafe' practices at sea, report finds

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nicola-faith-fishing-boat-tragedy-24297778#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare

Two tragedies. The story refers to a second accident:-
    The report was released just 24 hours after the publication of a similar investigation into the loss of Newhaven-based Joanna C, a scallop dredger that sank in the English Channel on November 21, 2020, with the loss of two lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

This is exactly the sort of issue I mean. Firstly, the idea that they don't have an education if they don't go to uni. Secondly, that not going to uni means they won't see the world. Thirdly, that work has to be tedious (with the implication that uni is all fun and laughter).

Uni is not, and should not be, an extended childhood. It should be a way of people getting skills that will improve their job prospects and enrich their lives. If they have fun doing so, fair enough. But (whispers quietly) working your people can have fun as well.

There is so much crummy disdain for people who do not go to uni. It's especially funny when it comes from people on the left, who decry classism and create their own class where they are the snobs, looking down on the inferior people who did not go to uni.

I just want a university education to be a choice whatever you background. There’s is more to life than work and taking time out to study is a rich part of life. You can learn things at a university that you cannot learn on the job.

Once tied into the obligations of kids and mortgages it’s hard to find the time not to work. So it’s an import choice at an important moment,
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Another greedy grasping no-user who feels entitled and wants to rob poor pensioners. Wait till you have paid shedloads of tax for 50 years sunshine before trying your bollox mince on me. Probably cutting someone up and got your just desserts and then try to blame the driver.
    Whine whine whine, poor me let's abuse a poor pensioner.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

We have enough freeloaders thank you.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

I think our problem is that we're bad at the important technical courses that the economy is short of, but we have lots of people doing degree courses that have less benefit, who end up in jobs where the degree makes little difference.

My sister has recently been appointed head of global HR at a company - she's the only one of my siblings not to have a degree. Would she really be better at her job if she'd spent three years at university?

While one of my wife's brothers (in Ireland) ended up doing a degree-level course in welding (and more besides) which almost certainly has helped him a great deal.

The problem, as so much in Britain, comes back to the legacy of our class system. In Britain university has been seen as the way to gain an "education" and thereby a nice middle class white collar job in an office.

This means that a lot of working class people have been disdainful of education, as explicitly looking down on them, and it also means that a degree-level education that leads to blue-collar work simply doesn't fit with our conception of what university is.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Good morning, everyone.

Been having some problems with my Firefox browser (closing itself). Any recommendations?

I think there is some concerted action being taken against Firefox, I have had to stop using it for many Microsoft functions such as Sharepoint as it will not open in it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

OnboardG1 said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Another greedy grasping no-user who feels entitled and wants to rob poor pensioners. Wait till you have paid shedloads of tax for 50 years sunshine before trying your bollox mince on me. Probably cutting someone up and got your just desserts and then try to blame the driver.
    Whine whine whine, poor me let's abuse a poor pensioner.

Have a nice morning too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Ms. Hughes, interesting, may try Chrome in the short term then. Cheers.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

I just want a university education to be a choice whatever you background. There’s is more to life than work and taking time out to study is a rich part of life. You can learn things at a university that you cannot learn on the job.

Once tied into the obligations of kids and mortgages it’s hard to find the time not to work. So it’s an import choice at an important moment,
    Pity the poor woman ever saddled with you and your "obligations".
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

Aye. The boomers that went to university all expenses paid and chose to break the earnings link for pensioners when they were working, so they didn't have to pay much to pensioners when they were working . . . then whinge about how poor pensions are when they're the ones claiming it and shaft the young.

Truly the most selfish generation that shafted their own parents and their own grandchildren, but keep repeating the bollocks about how much tax you paid.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

Pity the poor woman ever saddled with you and your "obligations".
    Bad porridge this morning? We share our obligations. It’s 2022.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

This is British state propaganda obviously intended for consumption inside Russia. Why assume it's gospel?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

darkage said:

malcolmg said:

xx

Aye. The boomers that went to university all expenses paid and chose to break the earnings link for pensioners when they were working, so they didn't have to pay much to pensioners when they were working . . . then whinge about how poor pensions are when they're the ones claiming it and shaft the young.

Truly the most selfish generation that shafted their own parents and their own grandchildren, but keep repeating the bollocks about how much tax you paid.
    Bit politics of envy there Bart. What would you have done, gone to university but insisted on paying? And it wasn't a "generation" that broke the earnings link it was your beloved Maggie.
This discussion has been closed.