Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is there a face-saving way Johnson can step aside? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

One of Johnson's many flaws is that he has surrounded himself with pygmies so as to avoid threats to his position. The worry has to be that one of them (Patel!) could replace him. Mordaunt has gone very quiet but she could impress in a leadership contest.

I can't see Patel getting into the top two in the Parliamentary party first round. Mordaunt is a lot more likely
    I'm on Mordaunt at good odds. Can easily see her emerging as the choice.
    Do all candidates have to appear like this or just the female ones

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2486207/tory-mp-penny-mordaunt-drops-her-fella/
    Labour and the left need to be terrified of Mourdant, in just two minutes here she says more than Starmer has said in two years.

https://twitter.com/sturdyalex/status/1471409989269004294?lang=en

And it’s exactly what the British People want to hear of their place in this world, and she is so persuasive how she explains these things.

Take that HY, if you think the Big Dog as he has made himself today can possibly compete with a PM Mourdant.
    Tipped her at 60s ages ago.

I seem to have lost my way on the horses but I still have it on the old politics.
    You’re on fire
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,718

Leon said:

If you are a British citizen that hates Brexit so much you literally *become German* then I suggest you weren’t really British in the first place

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/jun/04/antony-gormley-to-become-german-citizen-due-to-tragedy-of-brexit

A brilliant artist, but I can't help but think his energy would be better directed at crafting a vast sculpture to the Ukrainian spirit....
    I agree, but that might not go down too well with the current government of his new nationality. I'm afraid that many British intellectuals have an exaggerated view of the deficiencies of Britain and far too rosy a view of other Western European countries. Afd (well to the right of UKIP) is polling above maximum UKIP support and the current German chancellor has behaved abominably with respect to Ukraine.
    Negative Nationalism has been the default position for “intellectuals” since the Napoleonic Wars.
    If you are of that view, then surely they were moaning about negative anti-British intellectuals *before* that. Atd the time of the French Revolution. At the time of the English Revolution, come to think of it ...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

And yet, if that were true, we’d be seeing polling as happened to Major’s government in the mid 90s, with Blair’s Labour 20 points ahead

We’re not seeing that. What we see is a standard mid term poll lead for an opposition facing a tired government

I hate to drop the B-bomb word so liberally, but I suggest a lot of this anger at Boris and the Tories is actually sublimated Remoaner angst and loathing of Leaver Boris, but this time channeled through a new rage at his partying frivolity

I’m not defending him, btw, it IS time for him to eff off

As we saw in Australia, it may not be the main opposition which kills the Conservatives next time but the leeching of votes to minor parties (LDs, Greens, Independents).

There's also the truth many people will vote against the Conservatives next time and it will be a question of where and how that anti-Conservative vote is maximised.
    Yes, I can easily see that happening. And dumping Boris may not be enough to stop this. I sense the British public are just BORED of the Tory party (leaving aside Partygate and Boris and Brexit)

I know I am bored of them
    It’s bored with, not of.

If only you had more experience of using written English, you’d have known that already.
    As I have constantly told you, I am but a humble knapper of erotic flints. You should therefore not be surprised if I do not show the verbal flair of, say, a writer of international bestsellers
    The mystery is why you do not even show the written (“verbal” is another mistake) flair of a writer of trashy bus station fiction?

I’m guessing the suggestion above that you’re already on the bottle is sadly on the money.
    Verbal relates to the use of words both written and oral.
    No it doesn't. Verbal specifically relates to spoken, oral communication.

Your confusion may stem from the fact that non-verbal communication does not include writing but this is an oddity of the English language as non-verbal means neither spoken or written whereas verbal specifically means spoken.
    What does "oral" mean to you then Richard?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

IanB2 said:

Mourdant would clearly be an improvement on Johnson but she was a Cameronite under Cameron, a Mayite under May and now a Loserite under Johnson

What does she believe? Why is she different to the last thirteen years of Tory failure?

She also not only participated in that risible ‘Leadsom for Leader’ march on Westminster - which turned out to be illegal as they never got police permission - but she was the bright spark whose idea it was in the first place!
    Oh dear, that's pretty slim pickings isn't it? Gonna have to do a bit better than that.
    Maybe she participated in the shooting down of MH17? Because you seem to think dear Russia is innocent and someone did it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

Mourdant would clearly be an improvement on Johnson but she was a Cameronite under Cameron, a Mayite under May and now a Loserite under Johnson

What does she believe? Why is she different to the last thirteen years of Tory failure?

She also not only participated in that risible ‘Leadsom for Leader’ march on Westminster - which turned out to be illegal as they never got police permission - but she was the bright spark whose idea it was in the first place!
    Oh dear, that's pretty slim pickings isn't it? Gonna have to do a bit better than that.
    Maybe she participated in the shooting down of MH17? Because you seem to think dear Russia is innocent and someone did it.
    Russia is innocent. So says Luckyguy
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

"Russian man accused of Alexander Litvinenko killing dies of Covid-19"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61690519

Which poses another question: how bad is Covid in Russia at the moment?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

One of Johnson's many flaws is that he has surrounded himself with pygmies so as to avoid threats to his position. The worry has to be that one of them (Patel!) could replace him. Mordaunt has gone very quiet but she could impress in a leadership contest.

I can't see Patel getting into the top two in the Parliamentary party first round. Mordaunt is a lot more likely

Labour and the left need to be terrified of Mourdant, in just two minutes here she says more than Starmer has said in two years.

And it’s exactly what the British People want to hear of their place in this world, and she is so persuasive how she explains these things.

Take that HY, if you think the Big Dog as he has made himself today can possibly compete with a PM Mourdant.
    I don't know. I think Big Dog looks like he's got bigger breasts and for Sun readers that's not to be underestimated
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

If you are a British citizen that hates Brexit so much you literally *become German* then I suggest you weren’t really British in the first place

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/jun/04/antony-gormley-to-become-german-citizen-due-to-tragedy-of-brexit

“I’m embarrassed about Brexit: it’s a practical disaster, a betrayal of my parents’ and grandparents’ sacrifice to make a Europe that was not going to be divided again. It’s a tragedy,”

I have no issue with people changing nationalities if they do not like what their present nation is doing, including over Brexit, but it does seem a bit much to suggest not being part of the EU is a betrayal of parents and grandparents as if everyone had been fighting explicitly for the intent of creating a supranational institution.

Brexit was, in my view, a mistake that I contributed to, but there is a difference between 'divided to the point of war' and 'not all being part of the EU'.

People also cannot seem to make up their minds if it was a betrayal of the older generation (even though the majority of those voted for it) or a betrayal of the younger generation. It could be they think it was both, but mentioning one only seems to suggest this person does not think that.
    Absolutely so

He could have said “I don’t like Brexit, I disagree with it, I believe it is an error, but the British people were free to choose as they did. However I will now take up German citizenship, as it my right, so I can retain my European citizenship and my Freedom of Movement”

But he didn’t say that. He’s gone way way further and is, in effect, saying Brexit was a sin or a crime - or both. Morally wrong. Should not have been allowed. Which is absurd. It was a choice to exit a quasi Federal union, as was our right under Article 50 of the fucking EU Constitution which they immorally forced on us, so fuck em. And him. I’m going to push over one off his stupid statues when and if I ever get home

*knocks back more Tsinandali wine in his Georgian park*
    God Leon, give your liver a rest.

I hardly drink, and i'm having to take liver tests atm.
    You clearly missed the Times article which said people that drink “two bottles of wine a day” are healthier, happier and longer lived than teetotallers and modest drinkers. I took it as a cue to up my consumption by about a quarter of a bottle a day, so as to hit the target
    That would explain me being as healthy as a butcher's dog
    I've felt like crap since I stopped drinking heavily.
    Have your thumbs gone weird?
    Nothing works any more. I'm a wretch
    I hope more of you works than I’ve got left. Two almost useless hands, a dodgy ankle and dreadful balance. Typing with one finger!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but it may be your best windsurfing days are behind you....
    LOL. Inability there is the least of my worries! Not sure I could walk to the beach! About to trade my E-bike in for one of those electric buggies.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

They should at least get a Jimmy Savile impersonator to announce this.

I learned recently that ‘nonce’ is an acronym. It comes from Wakefield Prison. For their own safety, child sex offenders aren’t allowed mix with the general prison population, so their cells were marked ‘Not on normal courtyard exercise’.

Every day’s a school day.
    Ah interesting. Nonce is used in cryptography as the name for a random string that is used as a one-off so that both ends of the communication can see that they encrypt the nonce to the same value, using the encryption keys, which they don't have to exchange. Always a bit weird to put "nonce" into an http authentication header when you know the secondary British meaning for the word.
    A friend of mine designed one of the first Bitcoin mining chips. For some bizarre reason, it was called The Golden Nonce.
    Is it pronounced 'N - once' though? That would fit with single time only use.
    It is indeed short for number once but it is pronounced without any spacing, so just like the normal word.
    Let's not forget the incredibly unfortunate (and short lived) crypto company, Nonce Finance.

https://www.indy100.com/viral/nft-company-nonce-finance-problem-b1878973
  • Options
    Farooq said:

And, apparently, homeopathy.
    That's the second homeopathy believer I've heard of in the ranks of Conservative MPs in as many days. Is there a trend here?
    Mr Tredinnick, lately MP, would also qualify (so to speak). As\ would the next (presumably) Head of the C of E, and Monarch of etc etc.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

On the Gormley nationality discussion, has it been noted that it is possible to have both German and UK dual nationality. I'm not sure that the story has excluded this possibility. If this is the case he is doing what multitudes of people have done and are doing - having the best of all worlds (while slagging UK and Brexit in this case).

NB Not often (ever) I get 2nd and 4th e/w in the Derby, at 150s and 80s. Did this time.

Wow. That's much better than backing the winner at 5/2. I am struggling to find my range with the flat so far this year. Loser after loser. Unlike me. I think it's something to do with the pandemic. I lost interest and now I'm up for it again I've forgotten how to do it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

That's the second homeopathy believer I've heard of in the ranks of Conservative MPs in as many days. Is there a trend here?
    Mr Tredinnick, lately MP, would also qualify (so to speak). As\ would the next (presumably) Head of the C of E, and Monarch of etc etc.
    Am I the only one who thinks it's far from inevitable that Chuckie W will still be around when Betty finally dries up completely? He could well be chatting to plants in the Great Arboretum of Beyond whilst she's still shuffling around.
  • Options
    Genuinely, I want to know, do the Tories have an election winner left?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Farooq said:

PS There is an obvious reason for their advocacy of homoeopathy for the NHS. One pill - one pill - of each drug would be sufficient for all the drug courses of all the patients on the NHS. A few tanker loads of distilled water, some mechanised succussators, and bob's your uncle, or aunt. Cue further spending cuts ...

Mind, at the moment anyone downstream of about Oxford must be getting heavy homoeopathic doses of just about every drug known to science in their tea, coffee, and ice already, given where the tap water comes from. Which consideration means that I am extremely sceptical of any claims for homoepathy, once one discounts the very real effects of placebo and of simply not taking the kinds of drugs Victorian doctors liked to prescribe (and tbf modern drugs also have their problems).

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    Farooq said:

Perhaps they believe that Conservatism when diluted x 1,000,000 in sanctimony will heal the country

• Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's far from inevitable that Chuckie W will still be around when Betty finally dries up completely? He could well be chatting to plants in the Great Arboretum of Beyond whilst she's still shuffling around.
    Apparently it is considered tactless by some on PB to raise such issues, let alone open a book, but it did occur to me the other day in passing, given their ages and genders and statistics ...
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I learned recently that ‘nonce’ is an acronym. It comes from Wakefield Prison. For their own safety, child sex offenders aren’t allowed mix with the general prison population, so their cells were marked ‘Not on normal courtyard exercise’.

Ah interesting. Nonce is used in cryptography as the name for a random string that is used as a one-off so that both ends of the communication can see that they encrypt the nonce to the same value, using the encryption keys, which they don't have to exchange. Always a bit weird to put "nonce" into an http authentication header when you know the secondary British meaning for the word.
    A friend of mine designed one of the first Bitcoin mining chips. For some bizarre reason, it was called The Golden Nonce.
    It is indeed short for number once but it is pronounced without any spacing, so just like the normal word.
    Let's not forget the incredibly unfortunate (and short lived) crypto company, Nonce Finance.

Or the marketing chaps who couldn't understand why Orange (mobiles etc) bombed, er did not sell well, in NI.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Apparently it is considered tactless by some on PB to raise such issues, let alone open a book, but it did occur to me the other day in passing, given their ages and genders and statistics ...
    There's a shortage of tact in these parts these last few years. Brexit-related, you understand.
  • Options

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

The Establishment will be terrified of course because she went to

*shudder*

Reading University.....
    What's wrong with that? Quite a nice campus with an agricultural and yokelry museum attached. Some serious stuff there. Makes a change from the usual art galleries.
  • Options

All politics, like football, is relative. You always get a result however bad they are. For the Tories to win all it takes is for Labour to (sufficiently) lose. You don't have to deserve to win to win. The Tories still, IMHO, have a approx 45% chance of forming the next government, and can do this under a number of leaders.

They will do best to approach the leadership and election on the basis that though winnable it's a good one to lose and appoint a truly decent person as leader with and eye on 2028 or thereabouts. If they did the right thing for its own sake they might even get lucky.

• Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

There's a shortage of tact in these parts these last few years. Brexit-related, you understand.
    *snorts all over the keyboard*
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,606
    Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Or the marketing chaps who couldn't understand why Orange (mobiles etc) bombed, er did not sell well, in NI.
    Not forgetting the attempt to market the American water brand Dasani in the UK using the slogan "full of spunk".

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/05/time-coca-cola-tried-sell-bottled-tap-water-england-hilarity-ensued/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

What's with the fireworks at Epsom? Seems like a bad idea when you've got excitable three year-olds on the course.

Yes, very odd. If there's one time you really don't want to "frighten the horses" it's just before the Derby.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

I didn't expect Hillary Clinton to endorse the Orange Order:

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Do we have a market on whether a Regency will be declared?

If she’s so frail she can’t attend a service of thanksgiving, the state opening of Parliament and Epsom then it must surely to goodness be being considered in the near future?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Perhaps they believe that Conservatism when diluted x 1,000,000 in sanctimony will heal the country

Currently, conservatism is certainly in undetectable quantities in the current government. The Conservative Party is in one of the "smirking ghouls and predatory sex pests" phases of its life-cycle right now. But the sensible wing will be back. Eventually.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

My guess is he has wanted it sooo long he is taking every health precaution in the book, egged on by cams who has no intention of peaking at dowager duchess of C. Have you remembered your statins darling?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

BoZo is performatively scruffy.

It doesn't speak well of the man.

I like his scruffiness.
    Scruffy inside too, though, isn't he? Filthy in fact. That's the problem.
  • Options
    Sicily is fab
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

On the Gormley nationality discussion, has it been noted that it is possible to have both German and UK dual nationality. I'm not sure that the story has excluded this possibility. If this is the case he is doing what multitudes of people have done and are doing - having the best of all worlds (while slagging UK and Brexit in this case).

NB Not often (ever) I get 2nd and 4th e/w in the Derby, at 150s and 80s. Did this time.

Wow. That's much better than backing the winner at 5/2. I am struggling to find my range with the flat so far this year. Loser after loser. Unlike me. I think it's something to do with the pandemic. I lost interest and now I'm up for it again I've forgotten how to do it.
    Pure luck I'm sorry to say. I got a feeling the the Derby would be open to long shots this year because of a feeling that top class was thin and that the laggards weren't as much less good as the odds suggested.

I thought Desert Crown would win, but at the price I wasn't going in. Didn't fancy the other front runners.

The guarantee is that it won't work next time.

• Options
    Stokes you pillock. That was totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

My guess is he has wanted it sooo long he is taking every health precaution in the book, egged on by cams who has no intention of peaking at dowager duchess of C. Have you remembered your statins darling?
    You're probably right. As long as he's taking the tablets and getting a regular empty, he'll be fine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

If she’s so frail she can’t attend a service of thanksgiving, the state opening of Parliament and Epsom then it must surely to goodness be being considered in the near future?
    No idea how those things are rationalised. The last time was George III, wasn't it? He was very much out of it mentally, with the porphyria or whatever it was that he had. But I've not heard anyone claim that HMtQ isn't all there mentally. The ceremonial stuff can be dumped on the younger members of the RF (as, indeed, today). They didn't exactly have Zoom meetings when Farmer George was around, either.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

I'm no doctor but I think the vitals are still pretty solid.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,599

IanB2 said:

Trouble is there are fairly slim pickings on the credit side too. She seems pleasant and professional, certainly. But failing to stand in the last couple of leadership elections doesn’t imply killer instinct, and I’m not aware of anything very specific that Mordaunt stands for, rightly or wrongly.

I met her a few months ago and thought “yes, she seems to know what she’s talking about” but didn’t get the sense of someone with a burning desire to be PM.

There are generally slim pickings out there which is why they need a lengthy period of time in opposition. Hunt is okay. Javid would steady the ship. I still Harper is the strongest of the underdogs.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Not forgetting the attempt to market the American water brand Dasani in the UK using the slogan "full of spunk".

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/05/time-coca-cola-tried-sell-bottled-tap-water-england-hilarity-ensued/
    That's actually a fascinating story, and not just the catastrophic marketing, but upsetting Thames Water badly:

'Unsurprisingly, after a 2004 article in The Grocer casually mentioned the tap water source of Dasani water, the wider media was soon whipped up into a frenzy. Among other things, Coca-Cola’s audacity in this situation was humourously compared to the plot of an episode of the popular British sitcom Only Fools and Horses, in which the main characters attempt to bottle and then sell tap water from Peckham for an exorbitant markup via marketing it as “Peckham Spring”. It should be noted here that Sidcup, where Dasani water in the UK was sourced, is only about ten kilometres from Peckham.

Things continued to go wrong for Coke when they launched their online marketing campaign and began advertising Dasani as being “full of spunk”, “Bottled spunk”, and that you “Can’t live without spunk“, [...] … This was even more humourous given that many of the advertising images featured models, who apparently never learned to drink water properly, splashing Dasani all over their faces.'
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

No idea how those things are rationalised. The last time was George III, wasn't it? He was very much out of it mentally, with the porphyria or whatever it was that he had. But I've not heard anyone claim that HMtQ isn't all there mentally. The ceremonial stuff can be dumped on the younger members of the RF (as, indeed, today). They didn't exactly have Zoom meetings when Farmer George was around, either.
    Historically the English - as opposed to the Scots - have been very chary about declaring regencies. They didn’t even declare one in 1483 (although it wouldn’t have made much difference) or in 1454. Only in 1811, and then reluctantly.

But if Her Maj is immobilised in Windsor then surely it would be better for Charles to do all the necessary constitutional stuff, e.g meeting the PM, reading papers, signing laws and meeting ambassadors? And I believe that would require a Regency under the current law.

It would spoil her record of the longest reigning monarch never to have a regent, but that’s not really the key consideration.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Doesn't that give sweaty nonceboi a role as things stand?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Pure luck I'm sorry to say. I got a feeling the the Derby would be open to long shots this year because of a feeling that top class was thin and that the laggards weren't as much less good as the odds suggested.

I thought Desert Crown would win, but at the price I wasn't going in. Didn't fancy the other front runners.

The guarantee is that it won't work next time.
    That doesn't sound like luck. With the fav reasoning you were actually close to the sort of trifecta that would have got you in the tabloids.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Historically the English - as opposed to the Scots - have been very chary about declaring regencies. They didn’t even declare one in 1483 (although it wouldn’t have made much difference) or in 1454. Only in 1811, and then reluctantly.

But if Her Maj is immobilised in Windsor then surely it would be better for Charles to do all the necessary constitutional stuff, e.g meeting the PM, reading papers, signing laws and meeting ambassadors? And I believe that would require a Regency under the current law.

It would spoil her record of the longest reigning monarch never to have a regent, but that’s not really the key consideration.
    Isn't she the longest serving monarch without the qualification "never to have a regent"?

• Options
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Isn't she the longest serving monarch without the qualification "never to have a regent"?

No - two ahead of her. The last King of Thailand and Louis the Sun King.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

No - two ahead of her. The last King of Thailand and Louis the Sun King.
    Oh, I didn't realise we were talking internationally here.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Is that not what they have some sort of special rank of person, some archaic name, for? ISTR that e.g. the D of Y is one (presumably this is the point which IshmaelZ has already made).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

That's actually a fascinating story, and not just the catastrophic marketing, but upsetting Thames Water badly:

'Unsurprisingly, after a 2004 article in The Grocer casually mentioned the tap water source of Dasani water, the wider media was soon whipped up into a frenzy. Among other things, Coca-Cola’s audacity in this situation was humourously compared to the plot of an episode of the popular British sitcom Only Fools and Horses, in which the main characters attempt to bottle and then sell tap water from Peckham for an exorbitant markup via marketing it as “Peckham Spring”. It should be noted here that Sidcup, where Dasani water in the UK was sourced, is only about ten kilometres from Peckham.

Things continued to go wrong for Coke when they launched their online marketing campaign and began advertising Dasani as being “full of spunk”, “Bottled spunk”, and that you “Can’t live without spunk“, [...] … This was even more humourous given that many of the advertising images featured models, who apparently never learned to drink water properly, splashing Dasani all over their faces.'
    The interesting thing is that it would only have taken about 5 seconds to find out that that particular slogan probably wasn't going to work in the UK.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Third globally, nine days away from second place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest-reigning_monarchs?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    It is the year 2067, and as the Earthite Alliance of Humanoid Droids guided by Official Death God GPT68 fires hypersonic Inviso-Jesus infra-sad missiles at the Lost Cathedral of Parallel Proxima Fuckauri 9, dominated by its Bkkrprprk mono-president VVVVVVVrrpptywoo 3X7Musk Dalle900 WhoahBump, on PB,.com, @Scott_xP cuts and pastes a tweet that finally throws Brexit in a bad light
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Rishi seems like the only possible choice. He might be too rich but compared with the others who are too crooked evil or stupid that's not too big a hindrance. I know Johnson tried to cripple him but that might not turn out to be too bad a thing in that he can legitimately go after him no holes barred.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    Leon said:

It is the year 2067, and as the Earthite Alliance of Humanoid Droids guided by Official Death God GPT68 fires hypersonic Inviso-Jesus infra-sad missiles at the Lost Cathedral of Parallel Proxima Fuckauri 9, dominated by its Bkkrprprk mono-president VVVVVVVrrpptywoo 3X7Musk Dalle900 WhoahBump, on PB,.com, @Scott_xP cuts and pastes a tweet that finally throws Brexit in a bad light

SeanT reincarnates on PB. Again. Still voted for this shitshow...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Is that not what they have some sort of special rank of person, some archaic name, for? ISTR that e.g. the D of Y is one (presumably this is the point which IshmaelZ has already made).
    Counsellors of State - but that's different from a regent. The former act in temporary absence or incapacity, the latter in a permanent incapacity. And a regent has their own counsellors of state.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    A poll by JL Partners, shatters that narrative. It puts Labour 20 points clear of the Conservatives in Wakefield and shows that voters are blaming Johnson. Tory internal polling also suggests that a “disastrous” loss is on the cards.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn
  • Options
    Gentlemen, Gentlemen

I have found an upside of Putin’s war ambitions

RUSSIA NOW MAKES DECENT DIJON-ESQUE MUSTARD

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

The interesting thing is that it would only have taken about 5 seconds to find out that that particular slogan probably wasn't going to work in the UK.
    Probably marketing secrecy, and no trusted Brit available.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    If Boris is ousted then something about Brexit will die too. Boris really is the very personification of Brexit, and without him a loss of innocence will ensue leaving Brexit Britain a little darker, a little colder. I don't think the Tories and Leavers are yet ready to deal with such a psychological blow and for this reason Boris is safe.
  • Options
    NEW: Shock poll on the Wakefield by-election. Here are the full results from @JLPartnersPolls. See the Sunday Times POLITICAL BIG READ for more https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1533134731612721155/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The wine there must be powerful stuff if it has that effect, which reminde me: *goes off in search of the NZ white in the firdge*
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289

A poll by JL Partners, shatters that narrative. It puts Labour 20 points clear of the Conservatives in Wakefield and shows that voters are blaming Johnson. Tory internal polling also suggests that a “disastrous” loss is on the cards.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn

No need to wait until then, just get the letters in for Monday
  • Options

If Boris is ousted then something about Brexit will die too. Boris really is the very personification of Brexit, and without him a loss of innocence will ensue leaving Brexit Britain a little darker, a little colder. I don't think the Tories and Leavers are yet ready to deal with such a psychological blow and for this reason Boris is safe.

BREAKING: A Conservative donor has broken cover to warn that the party faces "obliteration" at the general election unless Boris Johnson is removed as leader immediately. See https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Do you think you’ll be furiously angry about Brexit until you die?

Genuinely curious. It is surely possible. History is full of political events that made people so alienated they literally never got over it. The Irreconcilables
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Shock poll on the Wakefield by-election. Here are the full results from @JLPartnersPolls. See the Sunday Times POLITICAL BIG READ for more https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1533134731612721155/photo/1

Where's the Yorkshire Party?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Genuinely curious. It is surely possible. History is full of political events that made people so alienated they literally never got over it. The Irreconcilables
    Entirely possible. There are many people who never got over joining the EEC, and many of whom will have died since then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Honest question.

Why are you not?

Your daughter's future is indelibly blighted by your vote.

Is it just guilt?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where's the Yorkshire Party?
    Yorkshire?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: A Conservative donor has broken cover to warn that the party faces "obliteration" at the general election unless Boris Johnson is removed as leader immediately. See https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn
    The Tories, and indeed all of the British Right, need to ask themselves how their universe will look without Boris. They can have Brexit; they can have the absence of Boris. But can they have both?
  • Options

The Tories, and indeed all of the British Right, need to ask themselves how their universe will look without Boris. They can have Brexit; they can have the absence of Boris. But can they have both?

Tobias Ellwood has already answered that question.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Why are you not?

Is it just guilt?
    It was an honest question. You are, of course, not obliged to answer it
  • Options
    NEW: Tory MPs claim there are 67 letters in. One number cruncher thinks they could get to 190 votes against him. Take both with a bucket of salt but the conventional wisdom now is that a vote is likely on Wednesday https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

That ain't a shock. There's been polling saying the Tories are tanking up North for a while.
    And it tallies with the Council results in Wakey.
    Yet. The mythology around the Red Wall, and Boris' preternatural appeal here stubbornly persists.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Why are you not?

Is it just guilt?
    I have to say that my granddaughter has not been blighted with a university place in Kyoto next year and two years later a year in Italy all through Leeds University

You are an extreme view as indeed there are many on the other side

I expect a closer relationship to develop but some will never be reconciled from either extreme while most will just get on with their lives
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Entirely possible. There are many people who never got over joining the EEC, and many of whom will have died since then.
    Yes

Likewise Scottish Indy. If it never happens in the foreseeable future (my guess) then quite a few hardcore Yessers will die with this fire of rage in their hearts. On the other hand, if you do get Sindyref2 and toy vote YES, then there will be Unionists that are like @Scott_xP who will rage against it, even as the light dies

It is a sad thing, and I see it now. These binary referendums on huge constitutional issues are a bad idea

This will surprise @Scott_xP but i now realise this was one of the advantages of the EU, it enabled countries to fudge horrible problems, esp - in our case - in Ulster

However the fudging did not justfiy - to my mind - the terrible loss of democratic sovereignty

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Tory MPs claim there are 67 letters in. One number cruncher thinks they could get to 190 votes against him. Take both with a bucket of salt but the conventional wisdom now is that a vote is likely on Wednesday https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-boris-johnson-weather-the-coming-storm-tbcj89fjn

I do not find that surprising at all
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

No doubt. In the year 2525, if PB is still alive, if Internet blogging can survive, people will still be waiting for a tangible benefit of Brexit.
  • Options
    MAHOOHOOHOOOHOOOOHOOOOOSIVE storm here in the Caucasus
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't know what you do for a living, but don't take up writing
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don’t find it surprising, but I do find it deeply disheartening that around 170 would still vote for him.
  • Options
    "Election Maps UK
    @ElectionMapsUK

Wakefield By-Election Voting Intention:

LAB: 48% (+8)
    CON: 28% (-19)
    GRN: 8% (New)
    LDM: 7% (+3)
    RFM: 3% (-3)

Via @JLPartnersPolls, 13-22 May."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

I don’t find it surprising, but I do find it deeply disheartening that around 170 would still vote for him.
    There could be abstentions but there are some who are either In denial or practicing blind loyalty
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

i think I’ve been fairly clear all along that I knap flints, and similar carvable stones, into sex toys, hence my presence here in Georgia

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/discovery-of-obsidian-mines-on-mount-chikiani-in-the-lesser-caucasus-of-georgia/3EB4470CEEEF026E48646A6B9BD3BA72
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    That Wakefield poll.
    Lab 48
    Con 28
    Green 8
    LD 7
    Ref 3.

6% for David Herdson to fight over with an assortment of loons.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

190 against him doesn't mean 170 for him
    Obviously I don't believe ANY of this stuff, but it needs pointing out that some MPs could abstain.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Why are you not?

Is it just guilt?
    Do Norwegians or Icelanders suffer from not being in the EU?
  • Options
    Fuck. This is a spectacular storm

I have recently been befriend by a stray Old town Tbilisi cat. Young, I think. Very cute. i feed her morsels of meat at night and we sit contentedly together on my terrace as I watch Borgen (season 4) and she licks her private parts

But she is staring out at this storm with wide wide eyes
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Not sure that's true tbh. The EEC really wasn't that controversial. Euroscepticism only started as a significant factor in British politics with Maastricht and the euro.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

That Wakefield poll.
    Lab 48
    Con 28
    Green 8
    LD 7
    Ref 3.

It is not Wakefield alone that matters, that seat has been Labour at every general election before 2019. It is Tiverton and Honiton too.

If there is no challenge before the by elections if the Tories lose Wakefield but hold Tiverton and Honiton even if there were a challenge Johnson likely survives it. Only if the Tories lose Wakefield and Tiverton and Honiton would he probably then lose a VONC
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Obviously I don't believe ANY of this stuff, but it needs pointing out that some MPs could abstain.
    As far as I am concerned, if they don't now vote against him they're voting for him.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

I have recently been befriend by a stray Old town Tbilisi cat. Young, I think. Very cute. i feed her morsels of meat at night and we sit contentedly together on my terrace as I watch Borgen (season 4) and she licks her private parts

I love cats' facial expressions during storms.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

i think I’ve been fairly clear all along that I knap flints, and similar carvable stones, into sex toys, hence my presence here in Georgia

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/discovery-of-obsidian-mines-on-mount-chikiani-in-the-lesser-caucasus-of-georgia/3EB4470CEEEF026E48646A6B9BD3BA72
    I'm not clicking that link, but I can see "obsidian" in the title and I would like to strongly recommend that nobody ever inserts obsidian into anything unless you intend that thing to carved open.

In the stone ages, obsidian from Turkish volcanoes found its way thousands of kilometres into away due to its renown for having an extremely sharp cutting edge. If you wanted a spear- or arrow-tip, you wanted obsidian.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don't find the 67 number surprising, but I do the 190.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I'm not clicking that link, but I can see "obsidian" in the title and I would like to strongly recommend that nobody ever inserts obsidian into anything unless you intend that thing to carved open.

In the stone ages, obsidian from Turkish volcanoes found its way thousands of kilometres into away due to its renown for having an extremely sharp cutting edge. If you wanted a spear- or arrow-tip, you wanted obsidian.
    Excellent for live heart extrusion, tho
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    13-22 May is a long time ago.
    Wasn't someone saying there was a poll on Wakefield circulating which hadn't been made public a few days ago?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

As far as I am concerned, if they don't now vote against him they're voting for him.
    Fair
  • Options
    OMFG the lightning
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Excellent for live heart extrusion, tho
    The Brexit of the Stone Age
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I love cats' facial expressions during storms.
    There should be a special NON-GERMAN compound noun for ‘those animals that you weirdly befriend on a long foreign trip’

I can think of a few, over my life. A dog on Ko Samui in Thailand. A one-eyed cat on Corfu. A leopard in Zambia called Evelyn (tho it was more we wanting to BE his friend, he was so cool, he tended to ignore me).

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Don't know about Scott but with me - on the Brexit - it's disappointment. Disappointment with my country.

I'm angry towards Boris Johnson though. The damage he's done for no greater cause than his own self-promotion.
    Just stupid
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Honest question.

Don't know about Scott but with me - on the Brexit - it's disappointment. Disappointment with my country.

I'm angry towards Boris Johnson though. The damage he's done for no greater cause than his own self-promotion.
    Just stupid
    Well, yes, he's that too, but I don't think you can discount the self-aggrandisement element.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

That Wakefield poll.
    Lab 48
    Con 28
    Green 8
    LD 7
    Ref 3.

It is not Wakefield alone that matters, that seat has been Labour at every general election before 2019. It is Tiverton and Honiton too.

If there is no challenge before the by elections if the Tories lose Wakefield but hold Tiverton and Honiton even if there were a challenge Johnson likely survives it. Only if the Tories lose Wakefield and Tiverton and Honiton would he probably then lose a VONC
    Ooo, "Boris" becomes "Johnson" to the grassroots!

That's it. Over.

Off to switch my betting position. Back shortly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

That Wakefield poll.
    Lab 48
    Con 28
    Green 8
    LD 7
    Ref 3.

He won't survive to the 23rd June
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I think they do but whether the Tory membership will ever select one of them is a completely different ballgame.
This discussion has been closed.