Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could more Tory MP defections be in the pipeline? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Dura_Ace said:

https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1531189521978728448

Prime Minister Boris Johnson now the least popular member of his own Cabinet among the Tory grassroots h/t @ConHome

Boris Johnson, winning again!

He will be announcing an order for Spitfires for the RAF next :D:D
    The RAF already finds it absolutely necessary to operate six (and two Hurricanes).
    Probably get more consistent use out of them than much of our kit?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson now the least popular member of his own Cabinet among the Tory grassroots h/t @ConHome

The RAF already finds it absolutely necessary to operate six (and two Hurricanes).
    There's apparently going to be a flypast by one Spitfire locally on Saturday. Over the town's fete.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Is it me or is the daily MOD brief on Ukraine becoming lost in the realms of wishful thinking?

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1531143716840284161?s=20&t=FIwr0IRFqeu7iJ3RTVZDBQ

It starts with:
    "Russia has likely suffered devastating losses amongst its mid and junior ranking officers..."

Whereas all the new outlets are indicating Russian progress, sadly, e.g. the BBC's "Heavy fighting as Russia advances into key eastern city".

The MoD briefing on Ukraine has been poor all the way through. It's embarrassing.

They had Kharkiv assessed as encircled for ages when there were lots of journalists travelling in and out of the city on major highways.
    I know nothing but the theory in this thread is fun:
    https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1531204031426793474

The gist is that the actual source of all the information anyone's sharing is Twitter, where the authoritative-sounding accounts consist of say 10% professional analysts, 20% knowledgeable obsessives and 70% people who know nothing but want to sound like they do. If you use Twitter carefully you can get a pretty good idea which is which, but journalists can't quote the anonymous Donbas nerd with a dog avatar who's telling you what's actually going on, so instead they go to an official government source. And the official government source is some kid who knows little enough not to be busy with anything else, and he's going on twitter and briefing the journalists based on the 70% who know nothing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Joe Armitage
    @joe_armitage
    The 39 Conservative MPs most at risk of losing their seats to the Lib Dems at the next election pose the greatest risk to Johnson. 7 have already submitted letters of no confidence and a lot are wavering.

https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1531170019006201856
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

The FAA have closed down their equivalent of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (more exactly, handed it over to a charitable trust AIUI). Their priorities are correct ...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Last Thursday, Labour was 9% ahead of the Conservatives in our Westminster Voting Intention Poll.

Today, and every Monday and Thursday, at 5pm, we will release our latest poll.

Who will be leading in this week's poll? And by how much?

Follow us @RedfieldWilton to find out.

Tory lead?

The only Tory lead is in Bozo's pencil.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

'Ok guys, jus' spitballing here, but what if we try tunnels again, only in a different place?'

'Genius, trebles all round!'

Great! They work in Norway and the Faroes. Once again the UK is backwards when it comes to infrastructure.
    How many Islands?.... How many tunnels?

Compared to a few ferries now and again?

Tunnels are always going to be better than ferries, due to not having to worry about the weather. Which is why the Greenwich foot tunnel was built during the reign of Queen Victoria.

I don't see any particular reason why the Orkney and Shetland Islands shouldn't follow the Faroes in having tunnels between some of the islands.
    I'd say that the people suggesting it are short term political kite flyers rather than strategic planners, so a good reason for it almost definitely not happening (though not a bad idea per se).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,059

Do Britons believe the Gov't is currently taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis?

Yes 16%
    No 70%

Do Britons believe a Gov't led by the Labour Party would currently be taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis?

Yes 36%
    No 36%

It would be interesting to see the entrails

My guess is the answer for the Tories is most of their opponents plus a % of their voters (with opponents from both ends)say no.

For Labour mist of their supporters will give them the benefit of the doubt

In short I’m not sure this polling is particularly illuminating
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

There are now over 40,000 refugees here, and this is, please remember, in a population of only 1.3 million. The fact that Britain is still imposing visa restrictions in a piecemeal and incompetent way so that essentially only family members of those Ukrainian citizens already in the country are being let in, means the total number of actual refugeesnin Britain is barely more than Estonia, for a country more than 50 times the size.

We recently had the first and apparently only visit from Social Services to make sure we aren't mistreating "our" Ukrainians. They were fucking hopeless and the Ukrainians found it very unsettling assuming it to be a visit from our version of the KGB. Which, in a sense, it was.
    Interesting. Do you think there are any ways in which social services and the KGB are different?
    Social services still exist, the KGB don't.

The KGB had some high profile successes as well as clusterfucks. Social services tend only to manage the latter (for 'high profile' cases).
    This was a clusterfuck.

They insisted on having their own translator on the phone despite being told many times this wasn't necessary. The translator was fucking terrible and not translating accurately. One of the first things they said was something on the lines of, "We've have to make sure you wouldn't be better off somewhere else". This caused both Ukrainians to start weeping volubly. At this point I thought Mrs DA was going to ask to borrow my Ruger 10/22 and I was going to have to spend all night digging shallow graves in the woods.
    Shallow is usually a mistake, I think ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

The FAA have closed down their equivalent of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (more exactly, handed it over to a charitable trust AIUI). Their priorities are correct ...
    After that twonk who took out 11 people at Shoreham i'd prefer these things to be maintained and flown by the Air Force, or not at all
  • Options

'Ok guys, jus' spitballing here, but what if we try tunnels again, only in a different place?'

Well at least they seem to have rejected overwater tunnels.
    Or 'almost but not quite breaking the surface' tunnels, which seemed to be mooted for the Johnson Crossing to NI at one time.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Great! They work in Norway and the Faroes. Once again the UK is backwards when it comes to infrastructure.

Tunnels are always going to be better than ferries, due to not having to worry about the weather. Which is why the Greenwich foot tunnel was built during the reign of Queen Victoria.

I don't see any particular reason why the Orkney and Shetland Islands shouldn't follow the Faroes in having tunnels between some of the islands.
    There's a tunnel in Greenwich that's only 30cm long?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

There are now over 40,000 refugees here, and this is, please remember, in a population of only 1.3 million. The fact that Britain is still imposing visa restrictions in a piecemeal and incompetent way so that essentially only family members of those Ukrainian citizens already in the country are being let in, means the total number of actual refugeesnin Britain is barely more than Estonia, for a country more than 50 times the size.

We recently had the first and apparently only visit from Social Services to make sure we aren't mistreating "our" Ukrainians. They were fucking hopeless and the Ukrainians found it very unsettling assuming it to be a visit from our version of the KGB. Which, in a sense, it was.
    Interesting. Do you think there are any ways in which social services and the KGB are different?

The KGB had some high profile successes as well as clusterfucks. Social services tend only to manage the latter (for 'high profile' cases).
    This was a clusterfuck.

They insisted on having their own translator on the phone despite being told many times this wasn't necessary. The translator was fucking terrible and not translating accurately. One of the first things they said was something on the lines of, "We've have to make sure you wouldn't be better off somewhere else". This caused both Ukrainians to start weeping volubly. At this point I thought Mrs DA was going to ask to borrow my Ruger 10/22 and I was going to have to spend all night digging shallow graves in the woods.
    It's easy to sneer, but have you seen how deep a proper grave is? Just not achievable by one man in one night which is the time usually allowed
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,223
    Some old nonsense just came through on Twitter. Is it true that Johnson went pro- Leave because the Telegraph threatened to remove his £275,000 pa hobble if he did not?

So the cost of Brexit was £275,000 pa. Let's put that on the side of a bus.

Conservative MPs get rid of this appalling man.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    Boris Johnson faces a forever inquiry over partygate - an investigation without end. My @tortoise column https://www.tortoisemedia.com/2022/05/30/the-forever-inquiry/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

I have been catching up with the UK media this morning with a growing sense of disbelief and even rage. Here in Estonia, we recognise that the war in Ukraine is existential for European democracy. If Ukraine loses, the full force of Russian brutality will go on to challenge every other European democracy, including the UK and Ireland.

There are now over 40,000 refugees here, and this is, please remember, in a population of only 1.3 million. The fact that Britain is still imposing visa restrictions in a piecemeal and incompetent way so that essentially only family members of those Ukrainian citizens already in the country are being let in, means the total number of actual refugeesnin Britain is barely more than Estonia, for a country more than 50 times the size. Poland is dealing with over 3.5 million refugees. Meanwhile the Brits are running around patting themselves on the back thinking that Boris is leading the charge. Um... he really is not. Across the Baltic there are crowd funding programmes that are buying equipment and supplies for the Ukrainians. In a single day the Lithuanians (total population 2.7 million) funded €5 million for a Bayraktar. However. although I do find the Daily Mail printing any old rubbish about the war irritating, it is the Johnson circus that has been raising my blood pressure.

The British economy is already trying to compete with one hand behind its back. A chaotic tarrif regime, new restrictions and a massive amount of paperwork have had a strongely negative effect on exports. Small and medium size businesses have been disproportionately affected. I notice daily that the number of previously available British products, from Alpen to Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce are no longer available here. This is happening across British export markets.

The response to this is "restore Imperial measurements". In otherwords, impose further costs on the UK economy for no economic gain whatsoever. Basically no one under the age of 60 has been taught the rules of the Imperial system, it is the kind of nostalgia that allows people in the their fifties to talk about the Second World War as though they had anything to do with it. This is a government that thinks going back to the 70s or even the 50s is the solution to their political ills.

Britian has got to escape this absurdity. The nostalgia trap will see us relegated to the lowest economic leagues. The fact that Johnson is doing it to try to save his own worthless political life is simply contemptible.

The Conservative grown ups: Ben Wallace, Therese Coffey, Anne Marie Trevelyan and even Liz Truss, have got to deal with Johnson (and the absurd Rees Mogg) now. The longer this farce continues, the greater the economic damage and the lower the reputation of the country will fall.

If you can consider even Liz Truss would be better, things must look grim.

The news from Eastern Ukraine certainly does. It's starting to look as though the question will be whether Luhansk, Donetsk and the Azov coast will be enough to satisfy Putin, at least for now so that he stops his attacks on the rest of Ukraine.

His past record doesn't exactly inspire hope, and it's quite clear that's not what he wanted.

Any further info from your position on what the Russian government might be thinking?
    Donbas and the coast probably would satisfy him, as a salami slice, hence why he should have focused on it from the start. Dare we say international opposition would have been less unified had he done so as well.

One can easily see him declaring job partly done and graciously stating he's willing to ceasefire at that point. Hopefully Ukraine can recover to a strong enough position they are not left with no option but to accept that. Once gone the areas will be gone forever if 'ceasefire' creates a new line.
  • Options

I'd say that the people suggesting it are short term political kite flyers rather than strategic planners, so a good reason for it almost definitely not happening (though not a bad idea per se).
    Makes fair sense for the Shetland main island axis; though one would want to check how deeply glaciated the lateral troughs were. Orkney is more scattered, and the Churchill Barriers already connect the main ring around Scapa, apart from Hoy. A tunnel to the mainland would make some sense, esp if from Hoy to Thurso (and back to Stromness). But I don't think the UK boosters are really thinking: rail tunnels across the Dornoch Firth, Cromarty Firth (from Invergordon) and Kessock Narrows would be a huge improvement all round.
  • Options

Do Britons believe the Gov't is currently taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis?

Yes 16%
    No 70%

Do Britons believe a Gov't led by the Labour Party would currently be taking the right measures to address the cost-of-living crisis?

Yes 36%
    No 36%

My guess is the answer for the Tories is most of their opponents plus a % of their voters (with opponents from both ends)say no.

Also, do people who say not right, all think the error is on the down side. I ain't no hardline weakest go to the wall hard line capitalist, but how it has always worked is, in recessions, individuals tighten their belts and live on fresh air, companies fail, and then you get a recovery. little to no sign of govt help for hard working families. Were we doing it wrong all along?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

This was a clusterfuck.

It's easy to sneer, but have you seen how deep a proper grave is? Just not achievable by one man in one night which is the time usually allowed
    And tree roots, iron pan, boulders, hard clay subsoil, etc. etc.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Rotherhithe tunnel was earlier IIRC. Brunel sen and jun innit.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

After that twonk who took out 11 people at Shoreham i'd prefer these things to be maintained and flown by the Air Force, or not at all
    Fair enough; but it is a secondary question. The first is, is it the job of the Raff to defend the kingdom or is it to give Brexiters wet underwear?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Nigelb said:

Is it me or is the daily MOD brief on Ukraine becoming lost in the realms of wishful thinking?

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1531143716840284161?s=20&t=FIwr0IRFqeu7iJ3RTVZDBQ

It starts with:
    "Russia has likely suffered devastating losses amongst its mid and junior ranking officers..."

Whereas all the new outlets are indicating Russian progress, sadly, e.g. the BBC's "Heavy fighting as Russia advances into key eastern city".

No - both things you quote above are true.
    Russia is taking territory, but slowly, and at great cost.

Ukraine claimed several T62s destroyed yesterday, so it seems Russia is genuinely reduced to throwing in obsolete replacements for their lost equipment.

They still have significantly superior artillery (in numbers, certainly), but recent and ongoing deliveries to Ukraine are beginning to redress the balance.
    For now there's no real sign of Ukraine's resolve to fight weakening.
    I remember the Korean War. The North attacked, drove the South and the Americans almost out of the peninsula. Then the Americans, ourselves and the South landed behind the Northern lines and they were driven back almost to the Chinese border.
    Then the Chinese joined in and everyone ended up pretty well where they'd started.
    That was a very different war, though, as it was as much, if not more a civil war as it was a contest between the west and Russia/China. True, the north invaded the south, but the post WWII division of the country was imposed rather than natural, and there were massive numbers of Koreans in both north and south opposed to the regimes they lived under.
    As to your last point, that might be true of the border - it certainly isn't true of the people, as there was huge displacement of population in both directions.

Ukraine, in contrast is quite simply an invasion by a hostile power.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Selebian said:

Linking the smaller islands to the mainland in Shetland could be a bit of a game-changer for the small islands. There's a noticeable difference between e.g. Unst and the main island. The causeways made a big difference to the Western Isles (also some negatives, of course, including implication in the storm surge that took out that family some years back)

See in Faroe this has been done with tunnels. Why tunnels rather than bridges? Weather conditions?
    There is a good reason for causeways/bridges, though: to combine with tidal power.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited May 2022
    Selebian said:

Cicero said:

The response to this is "restore Imperial measurements". In otherwords, impose further costs on the UK economy for no economic gain whatsoever. Basically no one under the age of 60 has been taught the rules of the Imperial system, it is the kind of nostalgia that allows people in the their fifties to talk about the Second World War as though they had anything to do with it. This is a government that thinks going back to the 70s or even the 50s is the solution to their political ills.

Britian has got to escape this absurdity. The nostalgia trap will see us relegated to the lowest economic leagues. The fact that Johnson is doing it to try to save his own worthless political life is simply contemptible.

Allowing imperial measurements doesn't impose any costs at all because nobody is obliged to use them if they don't want to.

What's absurd is not giving up on imposing metric conformity but the hysterical reactions of people who engage in this kind of national psychoanalysis. What you're doing is not all that far removed from Maria Zakharova condemning Ukraine for wanting to claim borscht for itself.
    It shouldn't be difficult with the aid of computers to provide prices in both sets of measures if people wish.

Then customers can use the set of measures that most suit them.
    It's just change for the sake of change. Which is what the left were accused of, once upon a time.
    I sincerely hope. they won't suggest it for medicine. That really would be 'cat, meet some pigeons!'
    Nurse! 1/2800oz of morphine, now, please!

What could possibly go wrong?
    Haven't there been incidents with the metric system where mg and μg have been confused? I think μg is banned as a notation in some parts.

Relying on a prefix makes it easier to get wrong. Particularly when the two prefixes are just the same letter in different languages.

Not that I would advocate for grains as an alternative.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,229

Cicero said:

I have been catching up with the UK media this morning with a growing sense of disbelief and even rage. Here in Estonia, we recognise that the war in Ukraine is existential for European democracy. If Ukraine loses, the full force of Russian brutality will go on to challenge every other European democracy, including the UK and Ireland.

There are now over 40,000 refugees here, and this is, please remember, in a population of only 1.3 million. The fact that Britain is still imposing visa restrictions in a piecemeal and incompetent way so that essentially only family members of those Ukrainian citizens already in the country are being let in, means the total number of actual refugeesnin Britain is barely more than Estonia, for a country more than 50 times the size. Poland is dealing with over 3.5 million refugees. Meanwhile the Brits are running around patting themselves on the back thinking that Boris is leading the charge. Um... he really is not. Across the Baltic there are crowd funding programmes that are buying equipment and supplies for the Ukrainians. In a single day the Lithuanians (total population 2.7 million) funded €5 million for a Bayraktar. However. although I do find the Daily Mail printing any old rubbish about the war irritating, it is the Johnson circus that has been raising my blood pressure.

The British economy is already trying to compete with one hand behind its back. A chaotic tarrif regime, new restrictions and a massive amount of paperwork have had a strongely negative effect on exports. Small and medium size businesses have been disproportionately affected. I notice daily that the number of previously available British products, from Alpen to Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce are no longer available here. This is happening across British export markets.

The Conservative grown ups: Ben Wallace, Therese Coffey, Anne Marie Trevelyan and even Liz Truss, have got to deal with Johnson (and the absurd Rees Mogg) now. The longer this farce continues, the greater the economic damage and the lower the reputation of the country will fall.

Whilst I completely agree with your post and can only imagine how absurd we look on the outside, you have committed the cardinal sin.

You said "Meanwhile the Brits are running around patting themselves on the back thinking that Boris is leading the charge. Um... he really is not. "

We know that Boris has personally armed and trained the Ukrainian army led the free world and is a Hero in Ukraine unlike EU quislings in France and Germany.

That you would post such heresy in Jubilee week just proves that you are one of those statue-cancelling lady cock advocating wokeist traitors that Leon is always complaining about. You don't even have the decency to post from a leaver patriot place like France. Shame! Shame I say!
    Shame indeed RP :smile:
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

This was a clusterfuck.

@Dura_Ace has, though, an unusual quantity of tools at his disposal.
    It wouldn't surprise me were he to have a ditch digging machine in one of his barns.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Farooq said:

It's been known as the Greenwich 30cm tunnel since 1973 but the Tories are going to change its name back, apparently.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Makes fair sense for the Shetland main island axis; though one would want to check how deeply glaciated the lateral troughs were. Orkney is more scattered, and the Churchill Barriers already connect the main ring around Scapa, apart from Hoy. A tunnel to the mainland would make some sense, esp if from Hoy to Thurso (and back to Stromness). But I don't think the UK boosters are really thinking: rail tunnels across the Dornoch Firth, Cromarty Firth (from Invergordon) and Kessock Narrows would be a huge improvement all round.
    For that matter a rail tunnel under the Firth of Forth to relieve capacity and fatigue loading on the Forth Bridge. There will have been enough studies done for the Queensferry Crossing, and as the Scots generally seem to deliver most such projects on time and within budget (rail electrification, Q. Crossing) in marked contrast to the DfT, it could be quite promising.
  • Options

Applicant said:

I am glad from a political view that Labour now seem to have a popular view on the whole trans debate but I am going to be totally honest when I say, it doesn't impact how I vote and I don't know anyone else who it does either.

I can't believe there is somebody that goes, that CoL crisis is terrible and I am struggling to eat but those trans policies are a bridge too far, Tory for me. Am I wrong?

Ah, I see you're missing the point of the focus on the inability or unwillingness to define a woman.
    More that you are missing the point that aside from the hyper partisan and the political zealots nobody else cares.

Its a fascinating bit of political bubble projection that people may be made poorer and may be fed up with the government's massive failings but can't vote Labour because of something one of them said about what a woman us.

Politics was much more fun when the grown ups were on both sides. Could have genuine policy debates. Now its more like having to explain to the other side very excited by lady cocks that their issue is very small and the voters are far away.
    I’m not sure telling them they are “very small” is the best choice of phrase
    Yeah, is he saying that lady dicks are not as big as mens'?

reactionary bilge.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

I've walked through the Greenwich and Woolwich tunnels. Not Rotherhithe, yet.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/walking-through-a-tunnel-under-the-thames-part-1-11764/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,291
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

For that matter a rail tunnel under the Firth of Forth to relieve capacity and fatigue loading on the Forth Bridge. There will have been enough studies done for the Queensferry Crossing, and as the Scots generally seem to deliver most such projects on time and within budget (rail electrification, Q. Crossing) in marked contrast to the DfT, it could be quite promising.
    Shame about the ferries...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,712
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

This was a clusterfuck.

I once saw an otherwise risible Liam Neeson “angry old man takes out baddies” movie where he recommended wrapping bodies in chicken wire before dumping them in water so the fish could get at them….struck me as a useful tip…
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/walking-through-a-tunnel-under-the-thames-part-1-11764/
    Only done Greenwich!

IIRC Rotherhithe might be tricky to walk through without being fried by accident. It was converted to a Tube line at some point, though I've been on the train through it. Not sure about current situation with all the changes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

They need to build another bridge first. There’s three bridges there now, the next one will be the Fourth Bridge.
    No need; just call the tunnel the Forth Crossing.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It starts with:

Ukraine claimed several T62s destroyed yesterday, so it seems Russia is genuinely reduced to throwing in obsolete replacements for their lost equipment.

They still have significantly superior artillery (in numbers, certainly), but recent and ongoing deliveries to Ukraine are beginning to redress the balance.
    I remember the Korean War. The North attacked, drove the South and the Americans almost out of the peninsula. Then the Americans, ourselves and the South landed behind the Northern lines and they were driven back almost to the Chinese border.
    Then the Chinese joined in and everyone ended up pretty well where they'd started.
    That was a very different war, though, as it was as much, if not more a civil war as it was a contest between the west and Russia/China. True, the north invaded the south, but the post WWII division of the country was imposed rather than natural, and there were massive numbers of Koreans in both north and south opposed to the regimes they lived under.
    As to your last point, that might be true of the border - it certainly isn't true of the people, as there were huge displacement of population in both directions.

To be honest, Mr B, I think we're both over-simplifying. AIUI, all the Koreans wanted after 1945 was to be left alone to rebuild their nation after 50 or so years of Japanese colonisation. And Kim (whatever he was) and the S Korean leader were close to being very much the same.
    Agree about the border, but I don't think many moved North.

In Ukraine there are some at least who still consider themselves Russian.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And the trains…..and the airport….and BiFab….
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fair enough; but it is a secondary question. The first is, is it the job of the Raff to defend the kingdom or is it to give Brexiters wet underwear?
    Well, it's also the job of the army to troop the Colour and the Navy to fire 87 gun salutes for HMQ. Soft power innit. The BoB was an actual thing, not a Leaver construct, and I have to say on the couple of occasions I have seen a Spitfire in flight it has brought a slight lump to my throat, and I am not a Brexiter.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Quite, but dont' forget they are the ones you hear about because CArlotta et al don't like to talk about the successes. A reading of Modern Railways is quite the corrective - the general sentiment is one of not taking hostages, and the DfT seem to score almost as low as Mr Ross at ConHome, but devolution per se isn't a reason to hold fire, and the Welsh Gmt have had some flak. But the general feeling is that at least the Scottish Gmt wants and likes railways and takes them seriously ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, it's also the job of the army to troop the Colour and the Navy to fire 87 gun salutes for HMQ. Soft power innit. The BoB was an actual thing, not a Leaver construct, and I have to say on the couple of occasions I have seen a Spitfire in flight it has brought a slight lump to my throat, and I am not a Brexiter.
    Actually, on second thoughts, it'd make more sense to keep a few Spits (and a Hurrican and Lancaster) than the Red Arrows, given the cost of training fast jet pilots and the increasing proportion of that part of the Raff the Arrows occupy.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

This was a clusterfuck.

I once saw an otherwise risible Liam Neeson “angry old man takes out baddies” movie where he recommended wrapping bodies in chicken wire before dumping them in water so the fish could get at them….struck me as a useful tip…
    In Order of Disappearance. It is very good, as is the Norwegian original.

even if it wasn't, deserves Oscar for Best Title.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Selebian said:

Cicero said:

Allowing imperial measurements doesn't impose any costs at all because nobody is obliged to use them if they don't want to.

What's absurd is not giving up on imposing metric conformity but the hysterical reactions of people who engage in this kind of national psychoanalysis. What you're doing is not all that far removed from Maria Zakharova condemning Ukraine for wanting to claim borscht for itself.
    It shouldn't be difficult with the aid of computers to provide prices in both sets of measures if people wish.

Then customers can use the set of measures that most suit them.
    It's just change for the sake of change. Which is what the left were accused of, once upon a time.
    I sincerely hope. they won't suggest it for medicine. That really would be 'cat, meet some pigeons!'
    Nurse! 1/2800oz of morphine, now, please!

What could possibly go wrong?
    Haven't there been incidents with the metric system where mg and μg have been confused? I think μg is banned as a notation in some parts.

Relying on a prefix makes it easier to get wrong. Particularly when the two prefixes are just the same letter in different languages.

Not that I would advocate for grains as an alternative.
    There's nothing doctors can't cock up :wink:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Only done Greenwich!

IIRC Rotherhithe might be tricky to walk through without being fried by accident. It was converted to a Tube line at some point, though I've been on the train through it. Not sure about current situation with all the changes.
    Woolwich is longer and more boring and doesn't even go anywhere useful on the north side now, after they closed North Woolwich station. I'm not sure how much use it gets any more, it's been made pretty much redundant by the DLR I would think.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Good argument to find an alternative to commissioning more ferries, to be fair :wink:
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited May 2022
    Re: tunnels

Firstly, can someone kindly explain to the hard of thinking that tunnels costing billions are not a better idea than a few ferries costing millions and paid for by private companies like Stena?

Secondly, a live WW1 grenade has washed up on a beach in Belfast Lough. The nearest ammo dump is Beauforts Dyke (nearly 1000ft deep) 30 miles to the east. There is supposed to be about 1 million tonnes of unexploded ordinance down there. A few years back it was mustard gas washing up...

That is the location of the proposed Boris bridge / tunnel

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ww1-grenade-found-by-child-on-co-down-beach-capable-of-exploding-41700008.html
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Only done Greenwich!

Rotherhithe is still a road tunnel, and unlike Blackwall you can still walk through it although the air quality must be awful and I've never seen anyone crazy enough to try. It's the much earlier tunnel built by Brunel that has been converted to rail use (formerly East London line, now the Overground) - although this tunnel also crosses at Rotherhithe.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

Some old nonsense just came through on Twitter. Is it true that Johnson went pro- Leave because the Telegraph threatened to remove his £275,000 pa hobble if he did not?

I want Boris gone, but not because of Brexit, or covid which he was ahead of the game opening the economy, or indeed Ukraine where he has at least supported Ukraine while Germany and France prevaricate

I want him out for partygate and his arrogance in putting his mps and his party in disarray for his own selfish ego

Conservative mps just have to remove him
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It starts with:

As to your last point, that might be true of the border - it certainly isn't true of the people, as there were huge displacement of population in both directions.

To be honest, Mr B, I think we're both over-simplifying. AIUI, all the Koreans wanted after 1945 was to be left alone to rebuild their nation after 50 or so years of Japanese colonisation. And Kim (whatever he was) and the S Korean leader were close to being very much the same.
    Agree about the border, but I don't think many moved North.

In Ukraine there are some at least who still consider themselves Russian.
    The conflict certainly has elements of a Civil War about it, as there are many families who have members in Russia and in Ukraine.

It just makes it all the sadder, and shows what a terrible tragedy this is for both Russia and Ukraine.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Pissing it down suddenly.

If we do get rationed electricity then shutting down those gas and coal power stations isn't going to look very smart.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Only done Greenwich!

The air quality is terrible, driving with windows open would make me feel ill, so it would be a terrible place to walk. I have seen the odd pedestrian but that is probably once every 50 trips. Cyclists are also fairly rare but a disaster to traffic flow as the exits are longish and uphill and nowhere to overtake them so one cyclist will add several minutes to a couple of hundred cars.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

I am glad from a political view that Labour now seem to have a popular view on the whole trans debate but I am going to be totally honest when I say, it doesn't impact how I vote and I don't know anyone else who it does either.

I can't believe there is somebody that goes, that CoL crisis is terrible and I am struggling to eat but those trans policies are a bridge too far, Tory for me. Am I wrong?

Ah, I see you're missing the point of the focus on the inability or unwillingness to define a woman.
    More that you are missing the point that aside from the hyper partisan and the political zealots nobody else cares.

Its a fascinating bit of political bubble projection that people may be made poorer and may be fed up with the government's massive failings but can't vote Labour because of something one of them said about what a woman us.

Politics was much more fun when the grown ups were on both sides. Could have genuine policy debates. Now its more like having to explain to the other side very excited by lady cocks that their issue is very small and the voters are far away.

reactionary bilge.
    Nothing reactionary about it. A clitoris is definitely smaller than a penis...
  • Options
    My latest is on shift in mood on the war. Russia advancing. Ukrainians nervous about western support. West looking more divided and uncertain. But - big picture - things still going really badly for Putin. West needs to keep its nerve and concentration

https://twitter.com/gideonrachman/status/1531221980929789953
  • Options
    So the French are blaming the Liverpool supporters
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Only done Greenwich!

The air quality is terrible, driving with windows open would make me feel ill, so it would be a terrible place to walk. I have seen the odd pedestrian but that is probably once every 50 trips. Cyclists are also fairly rare but a disaster to traffic flow as the exits are longish and uphill and nowhere to overtake them so one cyclist will add several minutes to a couple of hundred cars.
    The Rotherhithe tunnel is one place where cyclists should definitely be on the pavement.
  • Options

MRDA...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,426

The French and quite a few on pb are blaming the Liverpool supporters.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"and as the Scots generally seem to deliver most such projects on time and within budget"

The unfinished ferries at Ferguson's say "hi".
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Cicero said:

What is absurd is banging on about it as though it is an important subject for government to intervene on, but that is what populist apologists for Johnson are doing.
    TBOBS - "Tangible Benefits of Brexit" - are so thin on the ground, though, that one has to take what one can get. In this case the visceral thrill of being able to buy a pound of King Edwards.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"and as the Scots generally seem to deliver most such projects on time and within budget"

I said 'most'.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I saw nothing yesterday to suggest Liverpool supporters behaved badly and remember I have been a Man Utd supporter for near 70 years
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

reactionary bilge.
    It is this kind of educational detail that draws us to PB.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Or 'almost but not quite breaking the surface' tunnels, which seemed to be mooted for the Johnson Crossing to NI at one time.
    The Conwy tunnel was sunk from the surface (an "immersed tube" as it is called officially), although admittedly the bottom is not 300m down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3iBQKxk3g
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    The 60 Conservative MPs most at risk of losing their seat to Labour - many of whom represent 'red wall' seats - are strikingly more loyal to Johnson. Will this change if Labour win the Wakefield by-election? https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1531233048779493378/photo/1
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Pissing it down suddenly.

If we do get rationed electricity then shutting down those gas and coal power stations isn't going to look very smart.

In that case I think we can expect Boris's lot to do it because "not very smart" is something they are actually good at ;)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

I’ll go with Mr @TheScreamingEagles and his story. He’s not really your average football fan, was there with the prawn sandwich brigade and arrived in plenty of time to collect tickets and enter the ground. Yet still came across a lot of trouble, that appeared to be mostly the result of poor organisation and policing rather than behaviour of fans.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

Re: tunnels

Firstly, can someone kindly explain to the hard of thinking that tunnels costing billions are not a better idea than a few ferries costing millions and paid for by private companies like Stena?

Secondly, a live WW1 grenade has washed up on a beach in Belfast Lough. The nearest ammo dump is Beauforts Dyke (nearly 1000ft deep) 30 miles to the east. There is supposed to be about 1 million tonnes of unexploded ordinance down there. A few years back it was mustard gas washing up...

That is the location of the proposed Boris bridge / tunnel

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ww1-grenade-found-by-child-on-co-down-beach-capable-of-exploding-41700008.html

Do ferry routes get named after attention seeking politicians?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I said 'most'.
    True. But "most" is working pretty hard!

Especially given the roads. (I believe the project to dual the A96 from Inverness to Aberdeen has been scrapped despite millions spent on consultancy and prep.)

• Options

Carnyx said:

The Conwy tunnel was sunk from the surface (an "immersed tube" as it is called officially), although admittedly the bottom is not 300m down...
    I remember being at a meeting when the construction of the Conwy tunnel was being discussed, and a member of the public asked why the tubes would not just float up to the surface of the river

The engineer spoke at great length to explain why this was impossible, while everyone else buried their head in their hands
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004

I saw nothing yesterday to suggest Liverpool supporters behaved badly and remember I have been a Man Utd supporter for near 70 years
    I've go to say I've always found Liverpool supporters to be fairly genial. Nothing like, say, going to Oldham or Birmingham City where you get the impression that'd they definitely kick the snot of you given half a chance.
  • Options

Not just the French

you want to justify Klopp telling the cokeheads to go to Paris without tickets?
  • Options
    THREAD: We're urging Scotland fans to plan ahead for Wednesday's match against Ukraine, with our temporary timetable still in place……

The temporary timetable means fewer options for fans going to/from Glasgow before & after the game.

The last train to Edinburgh from Glasgow Queen St is 2215, on which those attending the match will be unable to travel.

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1531232092662779905
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Joe Armitage
    @joe_armitage
    The 39 Conservative MPs most at risk of losing their seats to the Lib Dems at the next election pose the greatest risk to Johnson. 7 have already submitted letters of no confidence and a lot are wavering.

I would not be entirely astonished to see Caroline Nokes jump to the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Interesting if true. It might be that the famous two articles were actually an earlier and later draft. Boris submitted the Remain version, but then his masters at the Telegraph told him 'If you think we're publishing this crap you've got another thing coming. Do it again.' It certainly doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

reactionary bilge.
    I'll PM you a nude selfie...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mrs C, you're right that Johnson is an imbecile but bad energy policy has happened under three parties. I still remember a year or two ago we had micro-breaks in power supply, which was just fantastic for me (working online).
  • Options

I want Boris gone, but not because of Brexit, or covid which he was ahead of the game opening the economy, or indeed Ukraine where he has at least supported Ukraine while Germany and France prevaricate

I want him out for partygate and his arrogance in putting his mps and his party in disarray for his own selfish ego

The point being made was that Johnson instinctively went with the Leave side, not because he believed it to be in the UK's interests but to save his £275,000 sideline.

I would question both your Covid (except for the swift roll out of vaccines) and Ukraine analysis. For the large part I would put both down to spin.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    kinabalu said:

Cicero said:

What is absurd is banging on about it as though it is an important subject for government to intervene on, but that is what populist apologists for Johnson are doing.
    TBOBS - "Tangible Benefits of Brexit" - are so thin on the ground, though, that one has to take what one can get. In this case the visceral thrill of being able to buy a pound of King Edwards.
    Ah, but it's the IBOBS that count. The Intangible Benefits of Brexit

Being a free man in a free country. Walking tall, like an American citizen in 1779, inhaling the pure forest air of independence.

We now own our mistakes. Boris Johnson might well be one of them. So we hurl him out of office. We cannot do that to Ursula of the Lying, the Unilateral Imposer of Article 16, but we don't have to worry any more, she has no power over us. We are free

In time, Intangible Benefits like Freedom and Independence tend to turn into Tangible Benefits. But it can take a while (Ireland took at least sixty years), so: brace
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Joe Armitage
    @joe_armitage

More likely jump to Labour than Lib Dem. She will have seen what happened to others who moved to Lib Dem and didn't get re-elected.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

reactionary bilge.
    I'll PM you a nude selfie...
    No thank you!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

reactionary bilge.
    You think?

"The bit of the clitoris that can be seen is about the size of a pea. However, in total, the clitoris can be as long as 5 inches (12 cm) long! Not sounding so small now, huh? While we’re on the subject of size, did you know that in early fetal development, the penis and the clitoris actually start out the same? They form into the different sexual organs around week nine of pregnancy."

https://www.naturalcycles.com/cyclematters/5-facts-about-the-clitoris

More feminist propaganda aimed at making those blokes who STILL can't find it all the worse about life....

(Not that I was ever one of those blokes... 😉 )
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    Scott_xP said:

The 60 Conservative MPs most at risk of losing their seat to Labour - many of whom represent 'red wall' seats - are strikingly more loyal to Johnson. Will this change if Labour win the Wakefield by-election? https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1531233048779493378/photo/1

Unsurprising in a lot of ways. Without Brexit Boris, they have got good reason to think that they wouldn't have got over the line in 2019.

Boris did that by telling them a pile of porkies, but he's still the best hope that MPs in Red Wall marginals have. And the longer they stick by their man, the sillier they would look if they dropped him.

For some, the point of no return may have passed already.
  • Options

Mrs C, you're right that Johnson is an imbecile but bad energy policy has happened under three parties. I still remember a year or two ago we had micro-breaks in power supply, which was just fantastic for me (working online).

And will continue. An uninterruptible power supply wouldn't be the worst investment you could make
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

While I agree with this, I think even a fairly glancing blow at the vote of confidence will eventually finish Boris off. While he absolutely strikes me as the sort of man who would carry on Black Knight style if he won by a single vote, I think he cares about his place in history and would change his mind sooner or later to avoid the historic humiliation of either

a) being removed in disgrace at a subsequent VOC after the local election annihilation next year;
    b) losing repeated votes in the HoC - after all he would clearly not have majority support there;
    c) losing his seat as the Tories get smashed at the next election.

Nobody would want to hear chants of "Are you May in disguise?" Even Theresa May might be chanting that soon...
  • Options

The point being made was that Johnson instinctively went with the Leave side, not because he believed it to be in the UK's interests but to save his £275,000 sideline.

I would question both your Covid (except for the swift roll out of vaccines) and Ukraine analysis. For the large part I would put both down to spin.
    I would put it down to our different political outlook but we both agree he needs to go

And the EU are yet again failing to agree on Russian sanctions apparently
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Jo Maugham
    @JolyonMaugham
    ·
    22h
    If anyone would care to share a copy of the unredacted Sue Gray report with us - our Threema is on our website - we will consider whether we can bring a private prosecution for misconduct in public office.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1530897762845437953
  • Options

Yes 16%
    No 70%

Yes 36%
    No 36%

I'd maybe just see it as further evidence that Labour are closing off one of the big trad reasons they lose elections - not trusted on the economy cf the Cons.
  • Options

Joe Armitage
    @joe_armitage

She seems to loathe BJ. I remember seeing her questioning him at a Select Committee Chairs meeting about equality issues. Icy.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,426
    Sandpit said:

I’ll go with Mr @TheScreamingEagles and his story. He’s not really your average football fan, was there with the prawn sandwich brigade and arrived in plenty of time to collect tickets and enter the ground. Yet still came across a lot of trouble, that appeared to be mostly the result of poor organisation and policing rather than behaviour of fans.
    Crucially, @TheScreamingEagles also reported that his bona-fide ticket was initially condemned as fake by French officials, so we should perhaps take with a further pinch of salt any claims of large numbers of tickets were counterfeit, even if some were.
  • Options

Interesting if true. It might be that the famous two articles were actually an earlier and later draft. Boris submitted the Remain version, but then his masters at the Telegraph told him 'If you think we're publishing this crap you've got another thing coming. Do it again.' It certainly doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.
    Surely "he thought it was his best chance of becoming PM" is more likely?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

You seem to have now accepted it as fact, but you had answered your own question in your original comment.
  • Options

THREAD: We're urging Scotland fans to plan ahead for Wednesday's match against Ukraine, with our temporary timetable still in place……

The temporary timetable means fewer options for fans going to/from Glasgow before & after the game.

The last train to Edinburgh from Glasgow Queen St is 2215, on which those attending the match will be unable to travel.

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1531232092662779905

Young men not allowed to leave Ukraine so expect an all female Ukraine support in Glasgow for Uk versus Scotland.
  • Options

Apart from the multiple videos of Liverpool fans climbing high fences and then sprinting into the stadium? Apart from them, then?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cicero said:

Being a free man in a free country. Walking tall, like an American citizen in 1779, inhaling the pure forest air of independence.

We now own our mistakes. Boris Johnson might well be one of them. So we hurl him out of office. We cannot do that to Ursula of the Lying, the Unilateral Imposer of Article 16, but we don't have to worry any more, she has no power over us. We are free

In time, Intangible Benefits like Freedom and Independence tend to turn into Tangible Benefits. But it can take a while (Ireland took at least sixty years), so: brace
    That thing where you start out reading a contribution imagining it is satirical, and then about three quarters of the way through you realise that the poster is actually serious, and you check who posted it, and yes it is Leon.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As does the Scottish parliament building.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I've go to say I've always found Liverpool supporters to be fairly genial. Nothing like, say, going to Oldham or Birmingham City where you get the impression that'd they definitely kick the snot of you given half a chance.
    Although in the Shankly era they pioneered the practice of pissing on the terraces. Per my dad. No link or anything peer reviewed.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cicero said:

We were perfectly free before you plonker. Otherwise how did we manage to decide for ourselves to have the referendum Duh!
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cicero said:

That thing where you start out reading a contribution imagining it is satirical, and then about three quarters of the way through you realise that the poster is actually serious, and you check who posted it, and yes it is Leon.
    *glows with pride*
  • Options
    Leon said:

Apart from the multiple videos of Liverpool fans climbing high fences and then sprinting into the stadium? Apart from them, then?
    There are some comments that locals were climbing the fences

However, I expect the French will continue to blame Liverpool
  • Options
    No Macron, but:

French Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna visited Bucha in Kyiv region.
    Bucha is a symbol of the russian army's crimes against humanity.

https://twitter.com/arnocast/status/1531223117661618177
This discussion has been closed.