Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In Other News …… – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    malcolmg said:

Only for Little Englanders who prefer it rigged their way all the time. You arseholes would rather have a bunch of lying , stealing cheating arseholes in power as long as they are English.

Hi @malcolmg - why not tell us what you really think, although I find it hard to disagree with your analysis above ;)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Latest New Statesman prediction:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2022/01/britain-predicts

That's PM Starmer no messing.
    Not just that. It (just about) stops the SNP even thinking about playing silly buggers.

(I don't think they would be wise to, anyway; the "we could back the Tories" card is high cost/low value to play. But it would be reassuring if it were out of circulation.)
    Only for Little Englanders who prefer it rigged their way all the time. You arseholes would rather have a bunch of lying , stealing cheating arseholes in power as long as they are English.
    I thought you didn’t like the SNP either.
    I do not like the current SNP leadership, but certainly not happy with arsehole Little Englanders wanting us as a colony but unhappy that we might actually participate in the politics. F***ing Tory arses.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

So Sadio Mane wants to leave?
    Wasn't expecting that. Bayern apparently.

Liverpool have just signed yet another young attacking forward and I think another one is supposed to be joining this summer. Mane is now 30, one year left on this contract and I believe around this age is when the likes of Liverpool Brainiac statos advise the club to be much more cautious on the new size of new contracts.

So I presume competition for places plus BM have offered his a big deal while Liverpool unlikely to give his some bumper deal taking him from 31 to mid 30s.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

Not just that. It (just about) stops the SNP even thinking about playing silly buggers.

(I don't think they would be wise to, anyway; the "we could back the Tories" card is high cost/low value to play. But it would be reassuring if it were out of circulation.)
    I do not like the current SNP leadership, but certainly not happy with arsehole Little Englanders wanting us as a colony but unhappy that we might actually participate in the politics. F***ing Tory arses.
    Talking about critical assessment, have you tried this stuff?

https://www.flavourly.com/haggis-beer

I got two cans of it in my latest mixed beer doorstep delivery from Flavourly, and am not impressed with it. Perhaps a personal thing. TBF the mixed packs do have an element of unexpected discovery in them, and I found the blackcurrant beer in the same mixed pack was rather pleasantly wersh for a summer late afternoon.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There’s a block of Tbilisi old town which is quite touristy and looks like this

But then you get loads of streets which still look like THIS

It’s fantastic

If you saw streets like that in England would you think it fantastic ?

In fact you can - there are plenty of old industrial buildings not far from town centres which have been waiting for redevelopment for decades.
    With that authentic 18th-19th century ornate woodwork and cast iron glazed balconies and original facades - echoing a vernacular which has lasted for centuries, and has miraculously survived as part of an intact Old Town, elements of which date back - literally - to the 6th century?

Of course I would think it is “fantastic” you fucking moron
    Did the rotting plaster and 1950s pipes get you even more excited ?

But congrats you've travelled to the Caucasus to see disintegrating Georgian and Victorian buildings.

I suppose if it had a canal running between the buildings instead of a dusty side street you might convince yourself you were in Venice before mass tourism.

But it doesn't so its a dusty side street with disintegrating buildings.

Plenty of original features here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7012641,-0.8694817,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDFDsdcZ2C9q8fYTtb5DdTg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Its by Goole docks.
    I thought Tories were meant to approve of making money. My god you could make so much money here in Tbilisi property. It is at that perfect point. The kids and the artists are already colonising: tiny boutiques, little studios, avocado toast & bubble tea cafes.

It is a Caucasian Shoreditch in 1996

No doubt @BartholomewRoberts would knock it all down to build large estates of tiny red brick semis with ample parking

So why don't you stay ?

You've got the time and money to invest and would enjoy dealing with the local gangsters and corrupt politicians.

You might even make yourself one of the leaders of the local cultural set.

Isn't it what you fancied doing in Camden in the 1980s ?
    You’re being rather unpleasant

@Leon is enjoying his holiday and I, for one, am enjoying his observations
    In what way was I being unpleasant ?

I was making a reasonable suggestion to someone who has been promoting Tbilisi as the next big thing.

Over the years we've had numerous tips from the Delancey Street Collective that X, Y or Z was the place to invest - I'm curious as to whether he ever did.

Because if not, aren't we left with nothing more that PB's equivalent of Judith Chalmers ?

And that's available in myriad forms on YouTube.
    AM I FUCKING CHARGING YOU?

No. I am not. You don’t even have to log on to YouTube and see a couple of ads. You can just clock into PB as normal and you get my opinions and insights and travelogues for free, and if you find them tedious, wanky, silly, whatever, you just scroll past

Eg A few weeks ago I gave you guys an insight into Karahan Tepe and Gobekli Tepe, before anyone else. Including my own personal photos of the latest revelations. About 2 months later that wanker SeanT published an article on it in the Spectator which was the most read ever on their website, basically copying me word for word, and everyone went OMFG this is amazing

You guys got my insight FIRST. For Free. Does the late Judith Chalmers give you revelations about 13,000 year old secret buried civilisations, 8 weeks before the rest of the world gets it from some plagiarist? No, she does not
    You're highlighting the intrinsic sterility of your travelogues in recent years.

When they were for book research there was a 'sowing the seeds' importance and anticipation about them.

Remember when you travelled for a purpose ?

Kurdistan, Cambodia, the Basque country, Fair Isle ?

The current 'look at my bread roll' style doesn't provide the same vicarious pleasure.
    Intrinsic sterility? Lol. It’s a bunch of comments on PB fer feck’s sake, not an attempt to draft Anna Karenina in Africa

Also: how do you know my travels aren’t leading on to something else? You don’t. Perhaps I’m just a little more coy about it, because: wankers, internet

But even if I was just whiling away the time, decadently, you are free to pass over any remarks without angrily demanding a titwank like it is your god given right
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

I got two cans of it in my latest mixed beer doorstep delivery from Flavourly, and am not impressed with it. Perhaps a personal thing. TBF the mixed packs do have an element of unexpected discovery in them, and I found the blackcurrant beer in the same mixed pack was rather pleasantly wersh for a summer late afternoon.
    Bloody awful trend in "craft" beer at the moment to have all these artificially flavoured nonsense mimicking sweets, cakes, etc, often using ice cream concentrate flavourings. Its like alcopops for beer. If I want a millionaire shortbread tasting thing, I will buy some millionaire shortbread (soon to be renamed billionaire shortbread given the inflation).
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited May 2022
    It’s v sunny in Woodstock, NY.

Not nearly as interesting as Tbilisi, but when you’ve got kids your options reduce a bit.

I’m going for a clichéd, but obligatory, pilgrimage to the Big Pink later.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

dixiedean said:

Liverpool have just signed yet another young attacking forward and I think another one is supposed to be joining this summer. Mane is now 30, one year left on this contract and I believe around this age is when the likes of Liverpool Brainiac statos advise the club to be much more cautious on the new size of new contracts.

So I presume competition for places plus BM have offered his a big deal while Liverpool unlikely to give his some bumper deal taking him from 31 to mid 30s.
    He can't score in finals. Let go.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

Carnyx that is just wrong, must have been on a trip when they thought that was a good idea. There is a time and place for everything but haggis in beer is just not on. Take two of the best inventions in the world and just ruin them.
    PS: I have been trying the new Stella Artois unfiltered and it is very pleasant in the sunshine.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Tres said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

So how many Liverpool fans travelled to the match ?

And how many tickets were there for Liverpool fans ?

If the first number exceeds the second then its likely that some Liverpool fans had fake tickets or were attempting to get in without a ticket.

Dunno. 20,000. Yes (or intends to buy one outside the ground). If the counterfeiters had clearly marked their tickets "fake" then these situations might be avoided but is that a sound business model?

Let's do the sums. If Liverpool and Real Madrid are allocated 20,000 tickets each, and the stadium capacity is 80,000, then there are 40,000 genuine tickets that might well end up on the secondary market. Of course, home-based touts will also try to buy from the Liverpool allocation as well, and those tickets will also be genuine.

The point is that if a fan buys tickets from a tout, there is a reasonable expectation they are genuine. (Whether it is legal is another matter but we'll park that.)
    Why are these tickets fakeable? For what they cost you could surely incorporate some kind of hologram thingy which it is cost ineffective to fake?
    Yes. But that is what we have now. Fake tickets are detected at the ground so fans are turned away which causes bottlenecks outside the ground so fans with real tickets are blocked. That is what happened last night but with added pepper-spray.
    So if we could educate the fans that fake tickets are not going to cut it, they wouldn't bother buying/turning up with them presumably?

Also there's an actual footballer on twitter saying he got a ticket from UEFA and gave it to a mate and it was rejected as fake when clearly wasn't
    No, because most of the fans with fake tickets believe they have genuine tickets. That's the point.
    At the Euro final there were far more people trying to get in without a ticket at all than a fake ticket. A lot of the people causing the problems are not able to afford £2k per ticket from the touts (whether real or not). The stadia for these big finals are going to have to have a perimeter more like 250-500m from the stadium rather than 50-100m from the stadium.
    Maybe even have a hash number on each ticket and a website where fans can check. Or just allocate more tickets to the finalists and not to clubs who never made it. There are lots of ways we can brainstorm and a lot of cleverer people than us are no doubt available for hire. But while authorities get away with blaming fans, there will be no pressure for change. Trouble is, some of what has already been done by government to stop scalping arguably makes things worse.
    One problem with that is the authorities effectively acknowledging widespread ticket touting which for football is illegal in many countries. So buying one you have already broken the law (even if it genuine) and there could be an argument that it will increase the amount of touting because people wouldn't be put off by possibility of getting a fake.

Its a bit like having drug testing at festivals, you have to acknowledge there will be widespread drug taking, so harm reduction argument says should test to ensure people have bought what they think they have. The counter-argument is that it encourages people to try drugs as they can get them tested as "safe".

Personally it seems crazy in this day and age you can't check the validity of a ticket for sport /gigs. Its not a difficult thing to do technically.
    The new systems for gig tickets are all electronic - you can sell tickets back and transfer them - all online. When you get to the venue, you have a changing (usual rotating crypto stuff) QR code in an app that links to the backend servers via the door guys scanners.
    What if you don't have a phone? Or will those of us without phones in the future be shunned or imprisoned like that rambler guy who didn't like wearing clothes?
    Having 3 and 4 figure priced tickets with no security is just not sustainable. Especially when it leads to these kind of problems.

A couple of expensive gigs I went to had this kind of ticketing - if you are spending hundreds on the ticket they feel entitled to demand that you have a device running their app.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Thanks for the header. Much appreciated. Afternoon, everyone.

1 - I'm not absolutely clear why checks should be applied to *owners*, rather than the people who run the homes. Childcare professionals may not be good at running a business.
    2 - I'm really not sure on this. If terrorists have been given effective amnesties, then I do not see why others should be different.
    3 - Yes.
    4 - This for me has a slight feel of aspects Zia-Ul-Haq's 'islamisation' of Pakistan in the late 1970s/1980s. A timebomb for the future.
    5 - I found the report on Afghanistan interesting in that responsibility was (correctly) laid at the door of Govt leadership, even when the behaviour of groups / individuals trying to shoehorn their special interests onto the agenda was way over the line.
    6 - Yes. I hope this will be a major campaigning point for parties at the next Election. Another reason for BoJoGo.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

New Conservativehome Tory meets survey finds 53% do not want Johnson to resign as Tory leader and PM, 40% do

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/05/two-in-five-of-our-party-members-panel-thinks-that-johnson-should-resign-and-hhalf-dont.html

Fourth comment is pushing the claims of John Redwood.
    Oh pretty please!
    PM Redwood could be a dark horse, he would stand as the candidate to return the party to pure Thatcherism as he did against Major in 1995 if he stood. However the membership did not get a say then, now they do. In the unlikely event he got to the final 2 with MPs after Boris lost a VONC then Redwood could win the membership on a pure Thatcherite, hard Brexit platform and become the new PM
    John Redwood as PM would be a dream for the opposition in my opinion.
    Maybe but he would still get at least 2 years as PM to run a pure Thatcherite government. He is also extremely intelligent, far more so than Boris or Starmer for that matter
    I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. However with regard to your last post how do you know he is more intelligent? I don't think there is any obvious way of telling. Boris and Starmer are both clearly quite bright. Also intelligence comes in many forms and I would say he definitely does not have emotional intelligence whereas Boris and Starmer clearly do have more.
    He is a distinguished fellow of All Souls College as well as having had a very successful City career before politics.

I was not talking about emotional intelligence but intellect
    That doesn't mean he is more intelligent than Boris or Starmer of course which was the point being made and they are both clearly pretty bright.

Also his degree is in history (and apologies to history graduates here) but I would be more impressed with someone with a maths or physics degree.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Even the Telegraph thinks the Grey report was whitewashed

Downing Street has always insisted that the Abba party did not happen.

Read the article in full here 👇

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/29/sue-gray-told-abba-party-least-four-times-partygate-report/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

dixiedean said:

And this isn’t new science. Wenger wouldn’t offer more than a one-year deal to anyone 30 or over. He got criticised for it and the club ended up giving stupid contracts to oldies.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

Bloody awful trend in "craft" beer at the moment to have all these artificially flavoured nonsense mimicking sweets, cakes, etc, often using ice cream concentrate flavourings. Its like alcopops for beer. If I want a millionaire shortbread tasting thing, I will buy some millionaire shortbread (soon to be renamed billionaire shortbread given the inflation).
    It should be a crime punishable by jail.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

It should be a crime punishable by jail.
    I think I need to go and have a lie down, I agree with MalkyG on something. I am sure normal service will be resumed shortly.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Scott_xP said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/29/sue-gray-told-abba-party-least-four-times-partygate-report/

You mean Gray
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

Starbucks for Craft Beer.

Who buys craft beer, anyway? What's wrong with a good Shoreditch Shredded Wheat Cafe?

OT: Just realised that MTFC share colours with Ukraine. Hmmm.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

If I want a millionaire shortbread tasting thing, I will buy some millionaire shortbread (soon to be renamed billionaire shortbread given the inflation).
    Already has for some products or some individual recipes
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/thorntons-billionaire-brownie-fingers-milk-chocolate-x5
    https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/billionaires-shortbread-recipe
    https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/trillionaire-shortbread-chocolates.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

New Conservativehome Tory meets survey finds 53% do not want Johnson to resign as Tory leader and PM, 40% do

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/05/two-in-five-of-our-party-members-panel-thinks-that-johnson-should-resign-and-hhalf-dont.html

Oh pretty please!
    PM Redwood could be a dark horse, he would stand as the candidate to return the party to pure Thatcherism as he did against Major in 1995 if he stood. However the membership did not get a say then, now they do. In the unlikely event he got to the final 2 with MPs after Boris lost a VONC then Redwood could win the membership on a pure Thatcherite, hard Brexit platform and become the new PM
    Maybe but he would still get at least 2 years as PM to run a pure Thatcherite government. He is also extremely intelligent, far more so than Boris or Starmer for that matter
    I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. However with regard to your last post how do you know he is more intelligent? I don't think there is any obvious way of telling. Boris and Starmer are both clearly quite bright. Also intelligence comes in many forms and I would say he definitely does not have emotional intelligence whereas Boris and Starmer clearly do have more.
    He is a distinguished fellow of All Souls College as well as having had a very successful City career before politics.

That doesn't mean he is more intelligent than Boris or Starmer of course which was the point being made and they are both clearly pretty bright.

Also his degree is in history (and apologies to history graduates here) but I would be more impressed with someone with a maths or physics degree.
    He got a 1st class degree from Oxford, unlike them and you don't get invited to be a fellow of All Souls at 21 as he was unless you not only get a 1st but a top 1st. The fact he was a successful city analyst and investor before politics also shows he can handle numbers too
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Scott_xP said:

You mean Gray
    Graywash
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

As a history graduate, eh, it's a fair cop.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Advantage Forest in the Play-off Final.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

He got a 1st class degree from Oxford, unlike them and you don't get invited to be a fellow of All Souls at 21 as he was unless you not only get a 1st but a top 1st. The fact he was a successful city analyst and investor before politics also shows he can handle numbers too
    With all this so called intelligence why is the country in such a mess

Maybe those ordinary folk with plain common sense should replace these underperformers
  • Options

Advantage Forest in the Play-off Final.

James Garner return to Manchester United will be a loss for Forest but potentially a huge gain for United
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Maybe those ordinary folk with plain common sense should replace underperformers
    Sunak as far as I can see is the only senior member of the Cabinet with a 1st class degree, certainly an Oxbridge 1st.

In the past plenty of senior Cabinet Ministers were in that category, Cameron, Hunt, Hague, David Miliband, Ed Balls, Portillo, Hurd, Redwood, Lawson, Healey, Jenkins, Wilson etc.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

It’s v sunny in Woodstock, NY.

Not nearly as interesting as Tbilisi, but when you’ve got kids your options reduce a bit.

I’m going for a clichéd, but obligatory, pilgrimage to the Big Pink later.

That should lift some of The Weight.
    Hopefully no Tears of Rage before then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Still doesn't make him brighter than either Boris or Starmer though. You just don't know (admitted neither do I). I have met fellows from Oxbridge who are definitely not as bright as many I have met with science degrees. I think, as I have said before you are unnecessarily in awe of your imagined betters. They aren't.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 300
    Con 250
    LD 22
    Grn 1
    SNP 54
    PC 4

I am very fond of stouts and porters - and that bit of the beer world has gone loopy for 'double cream marshmallow maple strawberry milk-shake' kind of flavourings. Often ludicrously high abv too. Might as well just have a pint of port and open a box of Quality Street.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

As a history graduate, eh, it's a fair cop.
    Yes sorry about that. I think I might have made a few enemies. Of course I'm not biased at all with my maths degree.

But basically I just don't assume someone is clever because they have a degree, especially from Oxbridge. There is a better chance they are, but it's not a given. A friend of mine is brilliant. I posted about him the other day. He was a high flying consultant, but left school to join the Navy without a CSE to his name.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Still doesn't make him brighter than either Boris or Starmer though. You just don't know (admitted neither do I). I have met fellows from Oxbridge who are definitely not as bright as many I have met with science degrees. I think, as I have said before you are unnecessarily in awe of your imagined betters. They aren't.
    Having a science degree does not automatically make you a genius too but obviously most scientists will do science research or work for a corporation or in medicine not go into politics. As I have already pointed out Redwood's success in the city as an analyst shows he was not exactly innumerate either
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Maybe those ordinary folk with plain common sense should replace underperformers
    Sunak as far as I can see is the only senior member of the Cabinet with a 1st class degree, certainly an Oxbridge 1st.

In the past plenty of senior Cabinet Ministers were in that category, Cameron, Hunt, Hague, David Miliband, Ed Balls, Portillo, Hurd, Redwood, Lawson, Healey, Jenkins, Wilson etc.

Sunak is the only cabinet member that is articulate, but that doesn't change my attitude that intelligence is an essential pre cursor to being a sensible politician
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Monaco GP far more entertaining than some of them are. And now the Indy500 is about to start. A happy afternoon of brum brum cars
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Maybe those ordinary folk with plain common sense should replace these underperformers
    To be fair Redwood has been nowhere near the levers of power for 25 years…
  • Options
    I am now watching Bald and Bankrupt on my balcony in Tbilisi. Thanks to @Dura_Ace and @FrancisUrquhart

It’s good. Needs a bit of narrative arc but he really does it. Hats off

But I can’t find the one where he actually GOES to Abkhazia. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

OT

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on PB but I have to say I am rather disturbed by the fact that the BBC have reversed the hiring of a stand in radio presenter simply on the grounds he is left wing and anti-Boris Johnson.

Are we to see a situation where, every time there is a change of Government, the whole of the BBC presenting establishment has to be fired and rehired based on their political persuasion? Or do we want our presenters only to be drawn from the ranks of those who are so disengaged from life that they hold no political views at all?

I suspect I disagree with pretty much everyone of Mr Stadlen's political positions - though to be fair I have never actually heard of him before now - but unless he abuses his position as a presenter then he should not be barred from a job simply because he is critical of the Government.

Not sure. If this is correct (published by Guido, but it was wrong the BBC would have pushed back) he was continuing being nakedly partisan up until mere days ago. Is that tenable for a BBC presenter on a rolling News (Radio 5) channel? I'd say they may have violated their own standard.

More like a recruiting process off the rails, perhaps? Or a horribly poor sense of judgement on Standen's part.

One could understand if it was 5 years ago, but whilst he has been after the job?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Sunak is the only cabinet member that is articulate, but that doesn't change my attitude that intelligence is an essential pre cursor to being a sensible politician
    I think that's true. However. A genuine intellectual curiosity is more important. There are plenty of folk spectacularly knowledgeable with little interest or knowledge outside their own narrow field. And plenty others who have formed their views decades ago and see no reason to change their views in light of new circumstances.
    Redwood strikes me as being similar to Corbyn in that regard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

Having a science degree does not automatically make you a genius too but obviously most scientists will do science research or work for a corporation or in medicine not go into politics. As I have already pointed out Redwood's success in the city as an analyst shows he was not exactly innumerate either
    As I keep saying I never said he was stupid. I don't know why you keep thinking I did. I just said you don't know he is cleverer than Boris or Starmer which is what you said.

Re your comments about scientists not necessarily being geniuses, well obviously, but you also can't do a maths or physics degree without being pretty bright. Also I think you are wrong regarding what graduates with science degrees do. Lots do go into the city sadly as they are sought after. In my son's case he was head hunted in his 2nd and 3rd and 4th year to work in the city and paid enormous eye watering amounts of money during the summer. He decided to stay at Cambridge to do his PhD though, although it meant he could pay off his loan and have saving to keep him going.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

What is happening to the Uighurs is certainly a genocide, as I have said before - see this article from December 2019 -http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/09/lets-talk-about-islamophobia/.

But I used the word "war" for 2 reasons: the material just released shows the use of army battalions to crush the Uighurs and it is also how Uighur representatives have described it - as a war on their people and culture by the Chinese State.

I find the claims of "Never Again" which get trotted out at regular intervals on memorial days increasingly hollow.

"Again and Again" would be more accurate.

Pretty well what Zelensky has said in relation to the Russian attempt to wipe out Ukraine.
    I think we do need different words for "trying to wipe out a culture" and "trying to kill everyone who is part of a culture". Both are horrible, but the former tends to involve censorship and "forced reeducation", while the latter involves mass murder on an industrial scale. Genocide is for many people associated with the latter - specifically with the Nazi attempt to kill every single Jewish person - and using it about stopping people from practicing their culture is an unhelpful analogy which both downgrades the Holocaust (which really wasn't mainly about closing synagogues and persecuting anyone practising Judaism) and undermines the current crimes (because it sounds exaggerated).

It feels awkward, even suspicious, to try to distinguish levels of horror, but being clear what we mean is important. Calling the Uighur oppression "a war on an entire culture" feels the right phrase, and entirely wicked in itself.
    Unfortunately for you, Nick, what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs is genocide within the meaning of the current definition used by the UN. It is not just about preventing them practising their culture. It is all spelt put here in my header of December 2019 - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/09/lets-talk-about-islamophobia/

Here is the UN definition of genocide -

"In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
    Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

All of these things are being done to the Uighurs by the Chinese state on the orders of the Chinese leadership at the highest level.

• Options
    Leon said:

I am now watching Bald and Bankrupt on my balcony in Tbilisi. Thanks to @Dura_Ace and @FrancisUrquhart

https://youtu.be/yjF4jiOOdPY

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179

OT

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on PB but I have to say I am rather disturbed by the fact that the BBC have reversed the hiring of a stand in radio presenter simply on the grounds he is left wing and anti-Boris Johnson.

Are we to see a situation where, every time there is a change of Government, the whole of the BBC presenting establishment has to be fired and rehired based on their political persuasion? Or do we want our presenters only to be drawn from the ranks of those who are so disengaged from life that they hold no political views at all?

I suspect I disagree with pretty much everyone of Mr Stadlen's political positions - though to be fair I have never actually heard of him before now - but unless he abuses his position as a presenter then he should not be barred from a job simply because he is critical of the Government.

People celebrating this would be the first to complain about cancel culture if it was someone they supported.

It’s not something to be welcomed. Stadlen posts drivel on Twitter and even posts stuff about his ability as a boxer. But should he be unhired as a consequence. Should people only work in the media if they have no politics.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh pretty please!

As I keep saying I never said he was stupid. I don't know why you keep thinking I did. I just said you don't know he is cleverer than Boris or Starmer which is what you said.

Re your comments about scientists not necessarily being geniuses, well obviously, but you also can't do a maths or physics degree without being pretty bright. Also I think you are wrong regarding what graduates with science degrees do. Lots do go into the city sadly as they are sought after. In my son's case he was head hunted in his 2nd and 3rd and 4th year to work in the city and paid enormous eye watering amounts of money during the summer. He decided to stay at Cambridge to do his PhD though, although it meant he could pay off his loan and have saving to keep him going.
    Even if some go into the City too, for the money rather than making direct use of their science degree, that will still be more than the number who go into politics
  • Options

Leon said:

Madloba!
  • Options

Leon said:

Ah but no. That’s him meeting Abkhaz refugees in Georgia. Not actually going to Abkhazia

Anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.