Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If Johnson`s ousted the by-elections could be CON holds – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423

HYUFD said:

This has to be the most ludicrous thread header OGH has ever posted.

He is recommending the Conservatives follow the example of Labour in 2007 when they forced out 3 times general election winner Blair in favour of Brown who then lost the 2010 general election having had to abandon his plans for an early 2007 election with Labour then losing all 3 general elections since then too?

The Tories removing 2019 general election winner Johnson in the same way Labour removed 1997, 2001 and 2005 general election winner Blair is not good advice at all I suggest

It’s a betting site so has to raise possibility of changes on mood and the narrative on coming elections.

As soon as Boris Johnson loses a VONC, Tories will get a poll bounce. Fact.

There will be ding dong big dog is gone impromptu parties.

Not in my political lifetime have I known a PM so utterly hated and his government thought of as a ragtag and bobtail joke.
    It was difficult to watch Boris sitting beside Rishi as he delivered his cost of living statement yesterday as his expressions varied from bewildered, lost, dismayed and that look he gives of an angry public schoolboy who has lost an argument and wants to take his ball away

He just has to go, and his mps need to accept he is very much a dead weight over their party and the country

I do find @HYUFD's posts, constantly battling on Boris's behalf, as blind loyalty, but absolute delusion
    Have I got it wrong then, I thought Rishi was against the windfall tax and Boris instructed him to do it?
    Tbh, I thought Boris was trying to wind up the Labour front bench during Rishi's speech.
    He sort of legged it quite quick afterwards.

Had it been difficult cabinet, and special one Thursday morning.

For all the “is that it, big dog save” bluster, it ignores how days like Wednesday have lowered his credibility and authority inside his own government.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

AlistairM said:

Just a thought about whether letters could go in to get rid of Boris.

I'm a traditional Tory voter who is socially liberal but fiscally conservative. I could just about stomach all the rubbish that has gone on lately because I saw the alternative as being worse. But is it really worse now? The Tories have turned into Labour splashing the cash indiscriminately. They are going to give me (and millions of others) a cash handout and then up my taxes to pay for it. That is not the Conservative way. That is classic Labour policy.

I have now turned. The Tories will not get my vote with Boris in charge as they are basically Labour in disguise. I'm obviously not going to vote Labour but the lack of my vote makes it far more likely others will get in. We have a council by-election coming up soon. I may just give a vote to the Greens for their local sustainable approach.

Now, if how I feel is how Tory MPs feel then maybe they might just send in their letters (e.g. John Redwood). It might not be partygate but instead the transformation of the Tory Party into the Labour Party.

I agree with everything you wrote, but couldn't vote for the Greens as they are Watermelons that are almost as bad as Corbyn's Labour.

The only ones I could just about stomach are the Lib Dems, but their NIMBYism puts me off. Other than that, who is a socially liberal, dry as dust conservative supposed to vote for?
    You call yourself a 'social liberal' but you voted for the Brexit Party in 2019 and support sending people to Rwanda. You are an extreme reactionary who makes HYUFD look very moderate.
    I cast a protest vote in 2019 in part to get rid of an authoritarian anti-immigration PM that I despised. The Brexit Party were no more than a tool for that as far as I was concerned, it also ousted Nigel Farage from the European Parliament so another win there.

I am not a reactionary, I am very pro-immigration and am happy to have a liberalised immigration system that is fair to all regardless of where in the planet they were born, or what the colour of their skin is, rather than prioritising primarily white Europeans over the rest of the planet.

I hate that there is no better solution than the Rwanda one, but the Channel is not safe to cross via people smugglers and it causes misery and drownings and every other policy has failed to fix that, offshore relocation works. It halted such movements with Australia, which has more people proportionately immigrating than the UK does.

I'd be quite happy to have an Australian-style system where that means twice as many people arrive proportionately as do now, but those people are fairly able to get visas from around the world, and people don't drown in the English Channel getting here.

That's not what the reactionaries want, or what they mean by Australian-style.
    Migrant crossings: Afghans are largest national group fleeing to UK

People fleeing Afghanistan were the largest group among migrants crossing the Channel in the early part of 2022.

Afghans made up one in four people making the risky journey, following the Taliban's return to power last summer.

New figures show almost as many Afghans crossed the Channel in the first three months of this year (1,094) as in the whole of 2021 (1,323).

In nine out of ten cases over the last year, people fleeing Afghanistan were granted refugee status.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61590249

I don't see how Australian style points systems affects this, unless there's a "refugee" box you can tick on the visa application.
    Most of the Channel crossers are granted refugee/asylum status because they have destroyed their passports and any ID documents (“Oh I lost them in Belarus”). We have no choice but to accept them

It looks like Patel’s Rwanda plan is going to fail, the govt haven’t got the spine to do anything serious (which means flying ALL OF THEM to Rwanda for a few months) and we simply have to tolerate 40-100,000 crossing the Channel every year and letting them stay. At least they are the hardier and more enterprising, given that they have made it all the way to Calais and then successfully crossed. It is Darwinian selection at work
    I bet there is massive overlap between people who get worked up about migrant crossings and people who get worked up about cyclists running red lights. Both reflect anger at people breaking the rules (without wondering whether the rules are fair or sensible) and fear that someone is gaining some advantage that isn't available to them. In both cases I would tend to step back and take a more balanced view. In the case of the migrants, think about what they are escaping from and what they these highly motivated people who really want to be here could add to our economy. In the case of the cyclists, think about how they are aiding the flow of traffic. But of course some people just enjoy the visceral thrill of the gut rage too much to surrender to reason.
    Absurd comparison. People who run red lights are dicks 94.5% of the time and putting themselves and others in danger. I appreciate that it might be hugely challenging to work out what possible reason there could be for wanting people to stop at red lights, or indeed whether such a rule is "fair or sensible", but I'm sure with a little bit of contemplation you'll get there.

Morning all.
    On the other hand, pedestrians aren't required to stop at red lights in the UK, which you must find extremely puzzling.
    Yes they are. They are required to stop when the little man is red. When it is green they can go.

Another completely befuddling rule.
    No they aren't. It is not a legal requirement in the UK. Which is why you will see British people very often crossing when the man is red, if they think it's safe to do so.

You do seem quite confused.
    They are required to stop. At the little man when he is red.

Here's Trafford Council telling you that when you see the red man symbol "You must not cross".

"https://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/leisure-and-lifestyle/sport-and-leisure/walking/docs/a-guide-to-pedestrian-crossings.pdf

I'm guessing Trafford council is not alone in this requirement. Why here's the Highway Code saying: "Do not cross" when the little man is red.

You'll get the hang of it all soon I have no doubt.
    Have you forgotten all about the importance in the difference between guidance and law?

Much of what the Highway Code says is guidance, the law is when it uses the word "MUST" or "MUST NOT". Cyclists and cars must not cross on red, but for pedestrians it doesn't say must not.

Pedestrians not crossing on red is as much the law as only doing 1 hour of exercise.
    I couldn't agree more. I never said it was the law; I said it was a requirement.
    But its not a requirement, its guidance.

You're required to follow the law. You're required to do whatever the Highway Code says you must or must not do.

You're not required to do whatever the Highway Code says you should or should not do. You're allowed to use your own judgement, its good advice to follow what the Highway Code advises, but its not required.

It literally says in the introduction to the Highway Code itself that "do not" is advisory but "must not" is a legal requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction
    Wording of The Highway Code
    Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

It says "do not" rather than "must not" so the Highway Code deems that to be "advisory" and not a legal requirement.
    You are conflating "requirement" with "legal requirement". It is a requirement but not a legal requirement.
    What is a non-legal requirement?
    Gentlemen's Dress Code

Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear either black, grey or navy morning dress which must include:
    A waistcoat and tie (no cravats or bow ties)
    A black or grey top hat
    Black shoes worn with socks

https://www.ascot.com/what-to-wear/royal-ascot/royal-enclosure/gentlemen
    OK, so a rule enforced by a private organisation.

That doesn't apply to pedestrian crossings on public streets.
    Oh. Now you change the terms of enquiry. But what if there is an elephant hang-gliding at the time?
    You're the one trying to change it. The only way something becomes a requirement is if somebody or some institution or legal authority requires it.

Parliament sets legal requirements. Cars and cyclists following lights is one.

Private institutions set private requirements. Gentleman's attire is one.

Advice is just advisory and not a requirement. Pedestrians are neither legally nor privately required to follow the lights, they're just advised to do so.
    As I said to @Applicant - it is a requirement but has no legal standing so is advisory only.
    There's no such thing as an advisory requirement. That's an oxymoron.

Must not is a requirement, due to the law. Do not is not, it is advisory.
    As you yourself noted earlier, we have been spending the past two years in an environment where requirements have no authority in law.
    No, we haven't.

Guidance isn't a requirement, it is advisory and that was always the case, which is why anyone who's tried to force guidance into a requirement has failed to do so.

You can have private requirements, or legal requirements, but you can't have advisory requirements, that is an oxymoron because the two mean very different things. If you only advise that someone does or does not do something, then you are not requiring them to do or do not do it.
    You can absolutely have non-legal requirements. I require that henceforth when you go out shopping you must wear a clown's suit. That is my requirement of you. It's not advisory. It is me requiring you to do something and, as I am some way from you I believe I am relying on you turning yourself into the police if you do not do as I require.

Alternatively, my requirement is not a legal requirement.
    Did you not read the post you replied to. Here is what I said again: You can have private requirements, or legal requirements, but you can't have advisory requirements, that is an oxymoron because the two mean very different things.

You can require of me that I wear a clown suit as a private requirement between you and me. That's your choice if you choose to require that and if I fail to do that, you may choose not to whatever you offer me in exchange for doing so.

But that's not the case with red lights for pedestrians. The highway code quite explicitly "advises" that people "do not" cross on the red light, it does not require it. Nobody else has the authority to "require" it, so that's the end of the matter, it isn't a requirement.
    And as I said it is therefore a requirement, albeit an advisory one. And there is no sanction if you don't wear a clown suit, just that I require you to do so. How on earth could there be a sanction? You're losing the plot.

I have a new requirement: that you only eat healthily. You can choose to ignore it, fair enough. I am requiring that you only eat healthily because I believe it will have a beneficial effect on your life. So it is also advice.
    A requirement without a sanction is an obvious absurdity.

Carrying on with my pedant mode: In France the requirement to carry a breathalyser (now scrapped) had no penalty if breached. The fact that the French did this and then scrapped the law maybe falls into the category of both absurd and irrelevant, but just pointing out that absurd things happen.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Whenever unwritten rules of our constitution have checked Boris Johnson he has sought to overturn them. We have seen it in his approach to parliament, the Supreme Court, lobbying, funding, appointments and now the Ministerial code. The constitution dies the death of a 1000 cuts.
    https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1530185651999621120
    https://twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/1530161144853368833

Sic semper tyrannis.
    Is the Committee on Standards in Public Life wrong?

Yes.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Since it is getting a bit tense here.

Crispy duck recipe.

- Buy a duck.
    - buy some Chinese pancakes
    - buy some hoisin sauce.
    - Throw away any giblets etc (unless you want to use them in another dish)
    - Couple of oranges, lemons etc. Chop the peel off them with a sharp knife. Ram them up the ducks arse until it is full.
    - Score the skin on the outside
    - Rub salt in, all over.
    - Oven to 120C. Yes, only 120c
    - Put the duck in a roasting tin. put it in the oven.
    - Watch the Dam Busters. Drink beer.
    - Pour the fat/gravy out of tray. Put the duck back
    - Watch the Sound Barrier. Drink beer.
    - Watch Ice Cold in Alex. Drink beer.
    - Watch The Cruel Sea. Drink beer.
    - Duck is ready

Scrape a pile of meat off the duck, serve with Chinese pancakes, hoisin sauce, thinly sliced cucumber.

If you want to do this for a Sunday lunch and you are not going out on Saturday, do the cooking up to (but not including) The Cruel Sea, in the evening. Leave in the oven overnight to cool - it will be fine. In the morning, fire up the oven, The Cruel Sea and the beer, 2 hours before you want lunch.

Did that one Christmas with a goose. It was excellent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Laura Pidcock clearly will not be celebrating the Jubilee next week

https://twitter.com/LauraPidcock/status/1529802645258522625?s=20&t=4I-wtTT6JrHXp2Q5TNBFvA
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    glw said:

Olaf Scholz ponders, "Can violence be fought with violence?"

https://twitter.com/GermanyNATO/status/1530166800490680320

William Glenn ponders: Can I find anymore tweets that reveal my anti-German prejudice?
    Is it anti-German to quote the German government?
    "Forgive and forget, eh, Major!"
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

William Glenn ponders: Can I find anymore tweets that reveal my anti-German prejudice?
    Perhaps we can all ponder why the Russians appear to be doing better than many of us hoped, and what the implications of that are.

• Options

Isn’t the watering down of the ministerial code at this particular point particularly tone death? Or has Johnson just become emboldened with that he can get away with

It is just flipping unbelievable. He is a mixture of Harry Houdini and a greased piglet. He is barely human in his elusiveness. Nailing Boris is like trying to pin jelly to a wall!
  • Options
    2023 GE. Nice
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    MISTY said:

Perhaps we can all ponder why the Russians appear to be doing better than many of us hoped, and what the implications of that are.

They are not. They are making a few small gains at the expense of throwing everything they have at a small part of the front. That's not necessarily good for the Ukrainians either, but it's really not diagnostic for the long term prospects of the war.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Applicant said:
    Seems to be copying the trajectory of Andrew Neil....
  • Options

2023 GE. Nice

Johnson, if still in power, may well do a Gordon Brown on that. I'd be careful.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,256
    I'm sure Nigelforgermany is desperate to read Kasparov's take on Germany and the EU re Ukraine.

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63
    Yes, Putin's war raises many questions. What are your loyalties? What does the EU stand for today? Anything? Or is it dead? Why is Scholz slowing down aid while the news from Ukraine gets worse and Russia is again talking about taking the entire country?

Two major EU nations are offering Putin a huge reward for aggression. What EU values does that reflect? Why aren't the allies breaking Putin's blockade of the Black Sea ports and the 22 million tons of grain sitting in Ukraine during a global food crisis of Putin's creation?

I'm furious. Ukraine probably has the strongest army in Europe on paper, but are outgunned in the East because the weapons aren't there. It's not logistics, it's cowardice and bullshit. There is no stalemate, no peace with Ukraine occupied. Either Ukraine wins or loses.

Germany asking about peace when innocent people are being slaughtered by a dictator determined to exterminate them and their nation? Germany?! France & Italy asking for Ukraine to concede to expanded occupation, to reward Putin's war crimes?

The EU is dead, so Putin has already won a victory. An organization must stand for something and what would that be now? They are trying to placate a murderer as his latest murder is still in progress. Missiles. Jets. Clear the Black Sea. You must fight for peace.

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1530183790504685569
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,305
    I’ve been asleep on my Greek bus. I see I didn’t miss much
  • Options
    Leon said:

More importantly is S&M lady dead yet?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Leon said:

How's the elderly lady?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

2023 GE. Nice

Can you expand? Is this an annoucement?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,493
    Scott_xP said:

Whenever unwritten rules of our constitution have checked Boris Johnson he has sought to overturn them. We have seen it in his approach to parliament, the Supreme Court, lobbying, funding, appointments and now the Ministerial code. The constitution dies the death of a 1000 cuts.

"My sight is failing," she said finally. "Even when I was young I could not have read what was written there. But it appears to me that that wall looks different. Are the Seven Commandments the same as they used to be, Rory?"

For once Rory consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:

ALL MINISTERS ARE EQUAL
    BUT SOME MINISTERS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    We're changing our quotes/contracts (And even more amazingly our customers are agreeing to it even on existing contracts) to "price might go up from this".
    Our suppliers are doing it to us, and our customers are doing it to their customers - so prices (Of glass bottles if you lot must know) are likely heading up for some time yet.
  • Options

I'm sure Nigelforgermany is desperate to read Kasparov's take on Germany and the EU re Ukraine.

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63
    Yes, Putin's war raises many questions. What are your loyalties? What does the EU stand for today? Anything? Or is it dead? Why is Scholz slowing down aid while the news from Ukraine gets worse and Russia is again talking about taking the entire country?

Two major EU nations are offering Putin a huge reward for aggression. What EU values does that reflect? Why aren't the allies breaking Putin's blockade of the Black Sea ports and the 22 million tons of grain sitting in Ukraine during a global food crisis of Putin's creation?

I'm furious. Ukraine probably has the strongest army in Europe on paper, but are outgunned in the East because the weapons aren't there. It's not logistics, it's cowardice and bullshit. There is no stalemate, no peace with Ukraine occupied. Either Ukraine wins or loses.

Germany asking about peace when innocent people are being slaughtered by a dictator determined to exterminate them and their nation? Germany?! France & Italy asking for Ukraine to concede to expanded occupation, to reward Putin's war crimes?

The EU is dead, so Putin has already won a victory. An organization must stand for something and what would that be now? They are trying to placate a murderer as his latest murder is still in progress. Missiles. Jets. Clear the Black Sea. You must fight for peace.

Kasparov - while hyperbolic - has a serious point. The EU is menaced by the divisions over Ukraine more than it was menaced by Brexit

Poland, the Baltics, Romania, Finland, perhaps Czechia, Slovakia, are absolutely steadfast in supporting Ukraine, and loathe Putin. How can they be in an ever tighter political union with countries like Germany which are happy for Ukraine to lose and want to appease Putin with Ukrainian territory?

This isn’t economics. For countries like Poland and the Baltics this is existential
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,518
    I’ve started to type something a few times and deleted it because I just can’t find the words to express my feelings at this. It’s just utterly shameless. I despair. The damage this unprincipled chancer, this seductive charlatan, is doing to the country is heartbreaking.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,310
    MISTY said:

There doing a lot worse than I dared to hope at the end of February, and a little better than I hoped two weeks ago.

The implications of that are that I have a tendency to overreact to immediate news...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    If not already noted Holmes was down as Neutral+ where plus I think means leaning slightly *towards* Johnson in @AlastairMeeks spreadsheet in Feb
  • Options

Leon said:

How's the elderly lady?
    Positively perky. And crinkly
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Yes.
    Nick Timothy
    @NJ_Timothy
    ·
    1h
    If any Tory MPs are labouring under the impression that the PM might listen, learn or change, amending the ministerial code so he’s not expected to quit when he breaks it ought to be the clinch the argument.

https://twitter.com/NJ_Timothy/status/1530177151546413064
  • Options

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63

'Two major EU nations are offering Putin a huge reward for aggression'

Well quite. I have rhetorically asked whether we would be better off negotiating with the EU over Northern Ireland by the RAF flying sorties over Dublin.

When you look at what our 'partners' are prepared to give Putin in return for what he has done, maybe it is not so rhetorical.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63

Kasparov - while hyperbolic - has a serious point. The EU is menaced by the divisions over Ukraine more than it was menaced by Brexit

Poland, the Baltics, Romania, Finland, perhaps Czechia, Slovakia, are absolutely steadfast in supporting Ukraine, and loathe Putin. How can they be in an ever tighter political union with countries like Germany which are happy for Ukraine to lose and want to appease Putin with Ukrainian territory?

This isn’t economics. For countries like Poland and the Baltics this is existential
    More to the point, what kind of negotiating partner is the EU over Northern Ireland....? Why should we sit down with governments that are happy to give a tyrant what he wants?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I’ve started to type something a few times and deleted it because I just can’t find the words to express my feelings at this. It’s just utterly shameless. I despair. The damage this unprincipled chancer, this seductive charlatan, is doing to the country is heartbreaking.

He's mad. Doing this now means the weekend papers will be back on Partygate and sleaze and lying, whereas they have just slurged £21billion and counting so that the weekend papers are NOT about that.
  • Options
    There might have been times past when I had thought about suggesting that what the EU needed was a conflict with an external enemy to bring it together. Unfortunately, after some promising early signs it seems as though the EU is failing to rise to the challenge posed by Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

However, there is hope in that the politicians seem to be more reluctant to act than many of their voters, so perhaps in time the leaders who stand in the way of decisive common action will be replaced by those who will act.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,020
    No drive, no spine, very little vision: even science can’t explain the creatures clinging on to Johnson https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/27/boris-johnson-sue-gray-partygate
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

MISTY said:

There doing a lot worse than I dared to hope at the end of February, and a little better than I hoped two weeks ago.

The implications of that are that I have a tendency to overreact to immediate news...
    This is the Site to check in to for sober and realistic appraisals of the war.

https://www.understandingwar.org/

Exec summary is that the Russians are doing a little better they were but they are still shite and things are still likely to get much worse for them.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is Putin's eventual aim, and what has been his end-game in Ukraine?

He's doing a good job of pounding the Donbass to rubble. If he hopes to retain it, won't he have to rebuild it as a cost of many billions? The alternative is to pull out and leave the rubble to fester.

There's little he can claim as profit. NATO is much stronger, and though the EU is looking a little disorganised with Hungary playing silly buggers, that's always been so. Any ideas of an EU army have been put to bed because we already have NATO who are acting as the adults in the room.

Macron's new rag-taggle groupings won't change that.

What exactly can Putin ask for in any talks?

• Options
    edited May 2022

Step 1 - Committee on Standards in Public Life recommends this change.

Step 2 - PM implements it

Step 3 - PM is slaughtered for being "shameless".

Alternatively:

Step 2 - PM doesn't implement it

Step 3 - PM is slaughtered for ignoring the experts' recommendation.
  • Options

He's mad. Doing this now means the weekend papers will be back on Partygate and sleaze and lying, whereas they have just slurged £21billion and counting so that the weekend papers are NOT about that.
    If he hadn't splurged the £21bn and had tried to do this it would surely have been the end of him. Close as this might put him to the edge I think that the breathing space gained still saves him.

£21 bn was the answer to the question, "how much will it cost to get away with watering down the ministerial code?"
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Yes.
    Nick Timothy
    @NJ_Timothy
    ·
    1h
    If any Tory MPs are labouring under the impression that the PM might listen, learn or change, amending the ministerial code so he’s not expected to quit when he breaks it ought to be the clinch the argument.

Support for Boris from the Conservative Family is haemorrhaging fast since they watched his press conference this week. Am I imagining this as a worse air than January as months ago there was still he might improve feeling about it there isn’t now?

Things I’m watching out for from the coming polls to assess movement amongst the MOE

The biggest lead Opinium have given Labour since the change is 4.
    The lowest Tory vote share on Opinium since the change, 34.

The last lab Lib green total from yougov recent first - 58, 56, 52, looking for trend for it being bigger than 58; if it breaks 60 milestone it can be spun as 6 out of 10 voters in an anti Tory alliance due to toxic Boris lethal drag on Tory performance (technically not true as it implies Tory’s have 4/10 voters who expressed a preference, but it won’t stop sexy headline or post from someone).

I think polling trend has to be June Gloom for the Tories.

Yesterdays announcement turning the polls? I’m very sceptical. Truth is yesterday was just grade C that is Rishi doing standard job to expected level, if a tad late considering he only delivered budget 23rd March and as first MoonRabbit and then Reeves pointed out Rishi wayward this week in targeting the splurged cash so maybe c-

Don’t get me wrong, lot of it I posted on here weeks ago I would do, some of my great ideas he didn’t take up - but should I be chaired around a room for doing it or is that just standard government level competency?
  • Options
    Omg Scholz really did say “can violence be fought with violence”. Re Ukraine

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1530141812509364224

Tbf his original German tweet is being ratio’d to fuck by other Germans. What a fatuous dolt
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Exec summary is that the Russians are doing a little better they were but they are still shite and things are still likely to get much worse for them.

The US is committed to giving Ukraine a huge amount of military and other aid, but it won't all arrive in one go, but over time the balance of power should shift in Ukraine's favour. The Russian government almost certainly wishes to grab what territory it can now and hope that Germany and others can freeze Russian gains in a peace deal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,757
    edited May 2022
    No wonder they voted to abolish the post!

The UK's first city mayor to declare a climate emergency has been questioned for flying nine hours to give a 14 minute speech about climate change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61596817

Unless he swam and walked back it will have been 18 hours….

They don’t mention his party - go on, take a wild guess…
  • Options
    glw said:

The US is committed to giving Ukraine a huge amount of military and other aid, but it won't all arrive in one go, but over time the balance of power should shift in Ukraine's favour. The Russian government almost certainly wishes to grab what territory it can now and hope that Germany and others can freeze Russian gains in a peace deal.
    Putin must be incredibly encouraged by the helpful tweets from the German Chancellor, who wonders if we can fight Putin’s violent blitz-rape with more violence. What does Scholz suggest as an alternative? Radical mime? Perhaps a slice of western Ukraine to go with the East, along with 17,000 weeping Ukrainian women? That should appease him and his soldiers. For a few months
  • Options

The UK's first city mayor to declare a climate emergency has been questioned for flying nine hours to give a 14 minute speech about climate change.

I always thought he was an independent, but looks like I confused him with someone else.
  • Options
    Paging @Leon

Urgent request...

Jim Pickard
    @PickardJE
    ·
    2h - me and ⁦ @robertrcorr
    ⁩ have been given a fresh challenge

- to find the 10 best pubs in the City of London and surrounding area and drink there on expenses

- this will be part of the ⁦@FT Globetrotter series

- all suggestions welcome please

https://twitter.com/PickardJE
  • Options

That’s not the reason the post was abolished though, the Greens couldn’t see themselves being the next Mayor ahead of Labour, but they saw themselves wielding power via a committee structure of governance.
  • Options
    We’ve tracked down the 100+ times Johnson was filmed telling the country to follow the rules - while he and his staff were breaking them. Take a look 👇 http://followtherules.co.uk
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Careless slip there from the BBC...bit like this hire.

https://order-order.com/2022/05/27/new-bbc-hires-most-biased-presenter-yet/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    In other news:

Boris Johnson speaking to Bloomberg, saying Putin needs to be given a way to back down on Ukraine -- "So he's able to withdraw with dignity and honour".

https://twitter.com/BakerLuke/status/1530138334500204544?t=PI1b6VmD8bTCUaTAHKDTSA&s=19
  • Options
    The new ministerial code is a disgrace. It means that the tiny semblance of accountability disappears. If you break the rules just rewrite the rule book is the motto of this despicable government.
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1530199867573817347
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

Alternatively:

Step 1. Committee for public safety votes to chop Danton’s head off.

Step 2. Robespierre says nothing to do with me, I’m not on the committee.

Step 3. Anyone who asks who appointed majority on committee for public safety has Head chopped off.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We’ve tracked down the 100+ times Johnson was filmed telling the country to follow the rules - while he and his staff were breaking them. Take a look 👇 http://followtherules.co.uk

Only 100. They need to try harder.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

In other news:

Boris Johnson speaking to Bloomberg, saying Putin needs to be given a way to back down on Ukraine -- "So he's able to withdraw with dignity and honour".

https://twitter.com/BakerLuke/status/1530138334500204544?t=PI1b6VmD8bTCUaTAHKDTSA&s=19

Blithering corbynite surrender monkey.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Alternatively:

Step 1. Committee for public security votes to chop Danton’s head off.

Step 3. Anyone who asks who appointed majority on committee for public security has Head chopped off.
    Committee on Standards in Public Life is minority politician and contains only one Tory, one Labour MP and one Lib Dem...

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/the-committee-on-standards-in-public-life/about/membership
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,493
    Scott_xP said:

The new ministerial code is a disgrace. It means that the tiny semblance of accountability disappears. If you break the rules just rewrite the rule book is the motto of this despicable government.
    https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1530199867573817347

There's still a residual bit of shame here. Otherwise it wouldn't have been released on the first day of the recess.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Alternatively:

Step 3. Anyone who asks who appointed majority on committee for public security has Head chopped off.
    Committee on Standards in Public Life is minority politician and contains only one Tory, one Labour MP and one Lib Dem...
    You saying they suggested it to be watered down? can you link to that, as you are way ahead of the game and putting myself and many tweeters to shame with that link.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

In other news:

If anyone believes that this is a fair representation of the PM's words after watching the whole video, then their brains are contorted by Boris hatred.

vid here - https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1530129893048078336
  • Options
    PM's new Ministerial Code:

S̶e̶l̶f̶l̶e̶s̶s̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ Selfishness
    ̶I̶n̶t̶e̶g̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ Deceit
    ̶O̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶i̶v̶i̶t̶y̶ Prejudice
    ̶A̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ Irresponsibility
    ̶O̶p̶e̶n̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ Secrecy
    ̶H̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ Lies
    ̶L̶e̶a̶d̶e̶r̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ Cowardice

A stain on our democracy.

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1530203347927670784
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Alternatively:

You saying they suggested it to be watered down? can you link to that, as you are way ahead of the game and putting myself and many tweeters to shame with that link.
    I posted it up/downthread:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    UK signs trade deal with US state of Indiana

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61604784
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Punter,

Thanks.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Alternatively:

I was obviously confused with the parliamentary one that has an in built Tory majority, so I quickly hold my hand up.

In which case I can comment on your point in a completely different way, what is worse for Boris, implement it at this moment in time or not?

It’s looking very much like your “slaughtering for ignoring committee” would not have been anywhere nearly as bad as the slaughtering he is now going to get in coming days for implementing it, you concede? A politically bad move to fail to pick the much lesser of two slaughterings?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Foxy said:

In other news:

If anyone believes that this is a fair representation of the PM's words after watching the whole video, then their brains are contorted by Boris hatred.

Taking single quotations out of context? Whatever next?

Meanwhile Germany and France have both supplied modern howitzers to Ukraine...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

🤣 . .
  • Options

Foxy said:

In other news:

I freely confess to voting for the Tories in 2019, but now I hate Boris's guts.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

In other news:

Taking single quotations out of context? Whatever next?

Meanwhile Germany and France have both supplied modern howitzers to Ukraine...
    So Germany says..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/olaf-scholz-has-abandoned-ukraine-by-blocking-german-weapons-supply-says-kyiv-envoy-k9fgr8cfd
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Alternatively:

I was obviously confused with the parliamentary one that has an in built Tory majority, so I quickly hold my hand up.

In which case I can comment on your point in a completely different way, what is worse for Boris, implement it at this moment in time or not?

It’s looking very much like your “slaughtering for ignoring committee” would not have been anywhere nearly as bad as the slaughtering he is now going to get in coming days for implementing it, you concede? A politically bad move to fail to pick the much lesser of two slaughterings?
    I'm not so sure. A slaughtering for not doing something can go on for much longer than one for doing something.

I suspect in a couple of days it'll settle down to be something that only gets mentioned in a long list of complaints about the general nature of the government. And can then safely be ignored, because of it's the implementation of a recommendation - in the same way that Labour complaints about voter ID can safely be ignored, because it's the implementation of a recommendation by the Electoral Commission.
  • Options
    I missed this. A new wind energy generation record was set on Wednesday. 19.916GW I don't tend to think of spring as a windy season.

https://twitter.com/NationalGridESO/status/1530168496096780289
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    HYUFD said:

Is it for assault rifles?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Foxy said:

In other news:

Got to be fair though. If he said in interview coffee and it’s reported as tea, it makes those of us commenting on it on PB “tea? Has he lost his senses” into mugs.

And I don’t mean tea or coffee mugs either.

I think it’s time for cocktail hour.

vote of no confidence cocktail

50ml dark rum
    25ml fresh lime juice , plus a wedge to serve
    2 dashes of Angostura bitters
    100ml chilled ginger ale (monster mule preferably)
    Honey syrup to taste
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658

Foxy said:

In other news:

Got to be fair though. If he said in interview coffee and it’s reported as tea, it makes those of us commenting on it on PB “tea? Has he lost his senses” into mugs.

50ml dark rum
    Honey syrup to taste
    No dash of hemlock ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Met never asked me for lockdown party evidence, says Dominic Cummings

I presume because he is such an unreliable witness.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

In other news:

50ml dark rum
    Honey syrup to taste
    No dash of hemlock ?
    That’s too philosophical for me, I’m not exactly Socrates.

I’ll tell you what, next time you pop round we can try it.
  • Options
    I AM CROSSING THE ISTHMUS OF CORINTH
  • Options

I missed this. A new wind energy generation record was set on Wednesday. 19.916GW I don't tend to think of spring as a windy season.

https://twitter.com/NationalGridESO/status/1530168496096780289

Shame it can't really be stored.

Yet.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Leon said:

And the ancient ship transport 'Diolkos' pathway from gulf to gulf, I presume.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

In other news:

50ml dark rum
    Honey syrup to taste
    No dash of hemlock ?
    That’s too philosophical for me, I’m not exactly Socrates.

I’ll tell you what, next time you pop round we can try it.
    Add rat poison to the brew
    Cobra’s venom goes in too
    Sweeten it with orange juice
    Three segments is what you use
    (No, I think just one will do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezO_Vmqhgg
  • Options

Foxy said:

In other news:

What the **** did you expect? Oh, Sunil!
  • Options
    Rishi gave himself 800 quid?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-61606486

What were the practical alternatives to targeting the money better rather than bunging the tax payer lolly to everyone?

Off the top of my head, the bung to everyone could have been smaller, the raise in universal credit bigger.

Have Labour or Libdems suggested alternatives considering they are criticising it?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    edited May 2022
    O/T I have just been speaking to a friend regarding her Universal Credit claim following a relationship breakdown.
    She has one child and rents a 2 bed flat at £775 per month.

She works part time as a nurse due to childcare issues and earns £1280 per month after tax, her ex partner pays her £300 and she gets arounf £90 per month child benefit.

She will receive £871 per month Universal Credit.

That takes her monthly net income to £2541.00 per month.

She is chuffed with that, she expected around £300 UC.

After her rent and council tax she is left with £1,641.00.

UC does seem to be pretty generous.
  • Options
    New YouGov modelling finds the Tories would currently hold only **three** of 88 battleground seats if there was an election.

PM’s seat would go Labour

Obviously a reflection of current polls, miles till next election etc etc but a reflection of where we are.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1530212002974646272
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Pulpstar said:

We're changing our quotes/contracts (And even more amazingly our customers are agreeing to it even on existing contracts) to "price might go up from this".
    Our suppliers are doing it to us, and our customers are doing it to their customers - so prices (Of glass bottles if you lot must know) are likely heading up for some time yet.

I was chatting to someone I know over in Hungary who bought a run-down house to do up and live in. He said the trades/workmen are only giving quotes valid for one week now due to the prices shooting up so fast.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Sic semper tyrannis.

Yes.
    Nick Timothy
    @NJ_Timothy
    ·
    1h

The Tory MPs already implicitly accepted this by not removing him.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

I hope you are right. He is utterly shameless. He really does need removing from office asap before he does even more damage.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No drive, no spine, very little vision: even science can’t explain the creatures clinging on to Johnson https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/27/boris-johnson-sue-gray-partygate

Oh, is it the Friday afternoon natural history slot? Must be even more specialised than this thing:

https://www.wired.com/video/watch/absurd-creatures-this-leech-is-a-pain-in-the-butt-for-hippos

• Options

I hope you are right. He is utterly shameless. He really does need removing from office asap before he does even more damage.
    New thread. On precisely that topic.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

In other news:

What the **** did you expect? Oh, Sunil!
    Fuck Business Boris! :lol:
  • Options

This thread has just been watered down!

• Options

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63

I am not "Nigelforgermany" you complete twat. I just dislike the nationalistic prejudice that is spewed out by one of the most ludicrous posters on here, Mr William Volte Face Glenn. That is assuming it is him and not someone who has nicked his account. I do not approve of what Germany is doing, but I also recognise that they have shifted form a militaristic culture to a pacifist one, something we can be grateful for and only hope might happen to Russia one day. Putting out post after post that attempts to generate anti-German sentiment is not something I am not going to not comment on so go and fuck yourself you ignorant pillock.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I love the word isthmus. Not sure why.
  • Options

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63

I am not "Nigelforgermany" you complete twat. I just dislike the nationalistic prejudice that is spewed out by one of the most ludicrous posters on here, Mr William Volte Face Glenn. That is assuming it is him and not someone who has nicked his account. I do not approve of what Germany is doing, but I also recognise that they have shifted form a militaristic culture to a pacifist one, something we can be grateful for and only hope might happen to Russia one day. Putting out post after post that attempts to generate anti-German sentiment is not something I am not going to not comment on so go and fuck yourself you ignorant pillock.
    Fick dich selbst.
This discussion has been closed.