Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Betting on who’ll be PM after the next election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

More from @IpsosUK
    : snapshot on key issues

- Lab lead Con on dealing with cost of living by 15 pts
    - Lab lead Con on levelling up by 21 pts
    - Con lead Lab on growing economy by 9 pts
    - Parties neck & neck on managing relations with EU

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1527252576848191493/photo/1

Suggests the timing and nature of any summer/autumn budget or intervention key
    I think the longer the cost of living crisis goes on unabated then that Tory lead on growing the economy is going to shrink.
    They need to find towards furlough level of intervention and cover it with massive growth. Huge infrastructure projects. Blue sky macguffins everywhere.
    Turn on the taps this time.
    I'd plump for 1950s state house building program. Focus on training younglings and building good quality stock 50/50 council to private.

Plus it would fuck Persimmon, Berkeley and Wimpey. That £110million/£75million bonus should never be forgotten.
    Yes, I'm in favour of that. And of proper, integrated public transport systems based on light rail/tram in the cities with bus services redicerted into county/suburb services into city edge hubs for transit in.
    Clean, bright city centres easy to navigate. Modern joined up thinking that addresses overuse of cars.
    Do it!
    What’s needed is a New Town, built around trams and self-driving taxis, with private cars kept on their own separate road network.

The problem is the NIMBYs and professional campaigners, who will frustrate the process wherever it is proposed.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

From "I'm a Lib Dem, me" to gushing Borgasm because Big Dog has only be fined once is a hell of an arc.

it’s not Borgasm, it’s just very funny! Listen.

“ It had been thought that Johnson and his wife were quite likely to be fined over at least one further event – the gathering held in the Downing Street flat on the night Dominic Cummings quit. Loud Abba music was heard coming from the flat that night, and Carrie Johnson (who was delighted to see Cummings go) was said to be celebrating with friends who work as government advisers. Sources have claimed that they were there for a work meeting, and that the PM was interviewing one of the attendees about a potential job. “

Labour have now lost 2 leaders in Milliband and Starmer, and two elections, 2015 and 2024, due to mishaps with takeaway food! Is that not amazing?
    Macron is toast. I’m on Melenchon at 80 and still confident of him, because he is just simply a smarter more agile politician than Le Pen. This is how it plays out. Last first round polls show nothing in it between Le Pen and Melenchon. Macron’s second round defeat is France “Brexit” moment. Every country is going to have some sort of we are the people and we want the drawbridge up to be great again, moment.

Good luck guessing even the date of the next election, let alone its result. You couldn't even spot the winner of the French election a week out when the incumbent was leading in the polls and had better approval ratings 🤷
    That’s just nasty.

May be she was wrong on this occasion, but betting is about value not spotting the winner.!
    All must have prizes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,336
    TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

From "I'm a Lib Dem, me" to gushing Borgasm because Big Dog has only be fined once is a hell of an arc.

“ It had been thought that Johnson and his wife were quite likely to be fined over at least one further event – the gathering held in the Downing Street flat on the night Dominic Cummings quit. Loud Abba music was heard coming from the flat that night, and Carrie Johnson (who was delighted to see Cummings go) was said to be celebrating with friends who work as government advisers. Sources have claimed that they were there for a work meeting, and that the PM was interviewing one of the attendees about a potential job. “

Labour have now lost 2 leaders in Milliband and Starmer, and two elections, 2015 and 2024, due to mishaps with takeaway food! Is that not amazing?
    Macron is toast. I’m on Melenchon at 80 and still confident of him, because he is just simply a smarter more agile politician than Le Pen. This is how it plays out. Last first round polls show nothing in it between Le Pen and Melenchon. Macron’s second round defeat is France “Brexit” moment. Every country is going to have some sort of we are the people and we want the drawbridge up to be great again, moment.

Good luck guessing even the date of the next election, let alone its result. You couldn't even spot the winner of the French election a week out when the incumbent was leading in the polls and had better approval ratings 🤷
    That’s just nasty.

May be she was wrong on this occasion, but betting is about value not spotting the winner.!
    All must have prizes.
    In gambling, spotting the winners is moderately easy....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Oh Farooq it’s a lie to say that post you quote was 1 week out, more like 2 months before. 1 week out I posted things were moving towards Macron, but I was still tense the last week right up till relieved by the exit poll.

Interestingly though, if Melenchon had made 2nd round, the dynamic would have been different. In a forced choice, many of those holding nose voting for Macron v Pen might have found Melenchon easier to vote for. As evidence, look at polling for the coming election.

I don’t know about glad flies, but flies are certainly glad to see me up here, I am going to have to go down and bath and put clean clothes on.

More button bright and sharp analysis from me later 😘
    Macron was on 68% v Melenchon with Elabe in March. He only got 58% against Le Pen in the runoff last month

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1501306351183491072?s=20&t=nOJDsypZOg1j9DxoPsw_Ug.

On France, Macron has now appointed a female PM ahead of the legislative elections next month

https://www.newstatesman.com/international-politics/french-election-2022/2022/05/for-only-the-second-time-france-has-a-female-prime-minister
    It is fair to say, that how things will change when Le Pen goes, will be interesting.

There is a large, negative vote with Le Pen - a large number of French people will vote for anything/anyone against anyone named "Le Pen"

She does have a large personal following, though.

What happens to the French extreme right after Le Pen? Probably fragments. However, there is the possibility tha someone builds on her work - keeps/inherits the following but loses (some) of the negative.
    Her niece I imagine will try and keep the torch flowing or Zemmour, or a revived Les Republicains will try and regroup the right back behind it
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

More from @IpsosUK

I think the longer the cost of living crisis goes on unabated then that Tory lead on growing the economy is going to shrink.
    They need to find towards furlough level of intervention and cover it with massive growth. Huge infrastructure projects. Blue sky macguffins everywhere.
    I'd plump for 1950s state house building program. Focus on training younglings and building good quality stock 50/50 council to private.

Plus it would fuck Persimmon, Berkeley and Wimpey. That £110million/£75million bonus should never be forgotten.
    Yes, I'm in favour of that. And of proper, integrated public transport systems based on light rail/tram in the cities with bus services redicerted into county/suburb services into city edge hubs for transit in.
    Clean, bright city centres easy to navigate. Modern joined up thinking that addresses overuse of cars.
    Do it!
    What’s needed is a New Town, built around trams and self-driving taxis, with private cars kept on their own separate road network.

The problem is the NIMBYs and professional campaigners, who will frustrate the process wherever it is proposed.
    The social structures/political structures whereby the sensible solution cannot be done, because it isn't How We Do things, are fascinating.

For example, the response to a the creation of a satellite launching system that is cheaper than Soyuz, as reliable as ULA and has a flexible launch rate* has been to claim that it is impossible and shout La La La. On a world wide basis.

Nearly no-one has tried building an equivalent system.

*Traditional launches were (and are) booked multiple years in advance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Oh Farooq it’s a lie to say that post you quote was 1 week out, more like 2 months before. 1 week out I posted things were moving towards Macron, but I was still tense the last week right up till relieved by the exit poll.

Interestingly though, if Melenchon had made 2nd round, the dynamic would have been different. In a forced choice, many of those holding nose voting for Macron v Pen might have found Melenchon easier to vote for. As evidence, look at polling for the coming election.

I don’t know about glad flies, but flies are certainly glad to see me up here, I am going to have to go down and bath and put clean clothes on.

More button bright and sharp analysis from me later 😘
    Macron was on 68% v Melenchon with Elabe in March. He only got 58% against Le Pen in the runoff last month

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1501306351183491072?s=20&t=nOJDsypZOg1j9DxoPsw_Ug.

On France, Macron has now appointed a female PM ahead of the legislative elections next month

https://www.newstatesman.com/international-politics/french-election-2022/2022/05/for-only-the-second-time-france-has-a-female-prime-minister
    It is fair to say, that how things will change when Le Pen goes, will be interesting.

There is a large, negative vote with Le Pen - a large number of French people will vote for anything/anyone against anyone named "Le Pen"

She does have a large personal following, though.

What happens to the French extreme right after Le Pen? Probably fragments. However, there is the possibility tha someone builds on her work - keeps/inherits the following but loses (some) of the negative.
    Her niece I imagine will try and keep the torch flowing or Zemmour, or a revived Les Republicains will try and regroup the right back behind it
    Her niece is out of politics (possibly temporarily). She would also carry forward the same negatives - the Le Pen name.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Got someone to take a photo of me (on the left)

Looks like you're having a great time. My day is office -> baby shift -> bed (If I'm lucky) at the moment :D
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,172

biggles said:

I’ll say it again. I think this site routinely underestimates the chances of Boris winning a majority at the next election. It’s not a certain (depends how far down the shitter of inflation the economy goes before correcting) but I think it’s more likely than not.

Quite possibly. Prediction is hard, especially about the future.

I think a lot of posters viscerally hate Johnson and that clouds their judgement. I suspect the key factor is going to be the economy. Should the surge in inflation be short lived, and the government actually do something to help the worst off, then its not impossible for things to turn around.

BUT

There is a danger of the Corbyn effect. 2017 - Corbyn was magic grandpa. 2019 - Corbyn as the devil who must be kept out.

The public have seen Johnson as PM for 3 years now. It will be longer in 2023/4. Enough of them may say enough.
    I'm not sure that the economy will be the determining effect. Major survived in 1992, Brown recovered to prevent a Tory majority in 2010.

The British public seems to be quite cautious about trusting the government of the country to an unknown quantity. However bad the incumbent might be, we find it easy to reassure ourselves with nightmares of how much worse the opposition would make things.

So despite Johnson's many failings and the real economic hardships, these provide Starmer and Labour only with an opportunity to win. It's a hell of a job to convince the public that it's worth the gamble.

And then I just have the sense that Johnson and the Tories still have more control of the media narrative most of the time. They're simply better at modern media politics than Starmer and Labour. So I expect them to shape the questions that are uppermost in the public's minds - and those won't be favourable to the opposition.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,667

Sandpit said:

More from @IpsosUK

Do it!

The social structures/political structures whereby the sensible solution cannot be done, because it isn't How We Do things, are fascinating.

For example, the response to a the creation of a satellite launching system that is cheaper than Soyuz, as reliable as ULA and has a flexible launch rate* has been to claim that it is impossible and shout La La La. On a world wide basis.

Curiously, that launch system is basically the R-7 Semiorka of 1950s vintage, which counts as old fart in PBSpeak, unless I am missing something. (The spacecraft is newer, of course, but not hugely so - 1980s?).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

More from @IpsosUK

Do it!

Actually, what will happen, is that the innovative town technologies will prosper in places where there are no NIMBYs nor professional campaigners. In the Middle East and China.

No-one is yet highlighting the future growth of Saudi Arabia, with their $500bn Red Sea resort project that will serve as a showcase for a bunch of mostly Chinese technology, accessible to European tourists in the winter. Maybe even with beer in the hotels.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting to see where “ratings” go now Boris has been exonerated,

Whilst Starmer is still mired and sweating away in his scandal.

And a first, on a phone, on a hill, with blood on my hands 😇

Johnson has not been exonerated. He is still in shit creek. There is still no paddle. A possible undercurrent has not materialised and he has not sunk further into the mire. Maybe he feels he has something to cheer about. On the other hand, Sue Gray has re-appeared and is approaching on a speedboat, but is she here to pull him out or push him under?
    Yet the most likely person to resign at this point, is the leader of the opposition.
    That’s for the fairly obvious reason that the leader of the opposition has some honour and decency, while the PM doesn’t.
    Or that he went all-in on turning the most minor of offences into the biggest issue facing the country, while being a total hypocrite about it.
    How is he being a hypocrite? He said BJ should resign for getting an FPN. He’s said he will resign if he gets an FPN. He is applying the same principle to himself as to others.

Maybe it’s bad political tactics, but it’s more honourable than Johnson… if calling someone more honourable than Johnson isn’t damning with faint praise.
    Nope, he didn’t say that the PM should resign for getting an FPN, he said that the PM should resign for being under investigation for the offence that resulted in the FPN.

Now that he’s under investigation himself, for the same offence, he’s remarkably quiet about it.
    Ever since BJ was fined, Starmer has said BJ should resign because he received an FPN.

Should he have called for BJ’s resignation when he was still just under investigation? Perhaps not. I’m not arguing Starmer is perfect. I didn’t vote for him and I live in his constituency. But on the topic of the possibility he might resign, which was where we started, I respect he has applied the same rules to himself as to others.
    Getting a FPN for a slice of cake in your office should be as much of a resignation offence as a FPN for a speeding offence. Less maybe, speeding kills.

Parties yes, but nobody sane would call cake at the office at lunchtime a party.

I called for Boris to go, but I expected him to be fined for more than a frigging cake.
    I've decided, when I plan my first act of gross villainy, I will chose the Met Police area. They couldn't prosecute a piss up in lockdown with photographs.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

biggles said:

I’ll say it again. I think this site routinely underestimates the chances of Boris winning a majority at the next election. It’s not a certain (depends how far down the shitter of inflation the economy goes before correcting) but I think it’s more likely than not.

I think a lot of posters viscerally hate Johnson and that clouds their judgement. I suspect the key factor is going to be the economy. Should the surge in inflation be short lived, and the government actually do something to help the worst off, then its not impossible for things to turn around.

BUT

There is a danger of the Corbyn effect. 2017 - Corbyn was magic grandpa. 2019 - Corbyn as the devil who must be kept out.

The public have seen Johnson as PM for 3 years now. It will be longer in 2023/4. Enough of them may say enough.
    I'm not sure that the economy will be the determining effect. Major survived in 1992, Brown recovered to prevent a Tory majority in 2010.

The British public seems to be quite cautious about trusting the government of the country to an unknown quantity. However bad the incumbent might be, we find it easy to reassure ourselves with nightmares of how much worse the opposition would make things.

So despite Johnson's many failings and the real economic hardships, these provide Starmer and Labour only with an opportunity to win. It's a hell of a job to convince the public that it's worth the gamble.

And then I just have the sense that Johnson and the Tories still have more control of the media narrative most of the time. They're simply better at modern media politics than Starmer and Labour. So I expect them to shape the questions that are uppermost in the public's minds - and those won't be favourable to the opposition.
    This is something that doesn't get nearly enough recognition a change of government requires both the government to be unpopular and the oppsotion to be popular. Without the latter you get 1992 or, at best, 2010.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

More from @IpsosUK

Do it!

Curiously, that launch system is basically the R-7 Semiorka of 1950s vintage, which counts as old fart in PBSpeak, unless I am missing something. (The spacecraft is newer, of course, but not hugely so - 1980s?).
    Falcon 9 is now cheaper per launch and per ton. Prices still falling. Plus Rogozin demolishing the Russian space industry.

The flexible launch thing was another way in which the traditional launch outfits got sandbagged.

F9 reuses the 1st stage, nearly always the fairings. So another launch is only another upper stage. Which is particularl simple and easy in F9s case - a vacuum version of the engine (not an RL10 at a squillion dollars per), and a simple bit of aluminium welding for the tanks. As opposed to carving the tanks from solid.....

So when OneWeb needed launch, SpaceX could provide it faster than they could get new satellites to the pad....
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Johnson has not been exonerated. He is still in shit creek. There is still no paddle. A possible undercurrent has not materialised and he has not sunk further into the mire. Maybe he feels he has something to cheer about. On the other hand, Sue Gray has re-appeared and is approaching on a speedboat, but is she here to pull him out or push him under?
    Yet the most likely person to resign at this point, is the leader of the opposition.
    That’s for the fairly obvious reason that the leader of the opposition has some honour and decency, while the PM doesn’t.
    Or that he went all-in on turning the most minor of offences into the biggest issue facing the country, while being a total hypocrite about it.
    How is he being a hypocrite? He said BJ should resign for getting an FPN. He’s said he will resign if he gets an FPN. He is applying the same principle to himself as to others.

Maybe it’s bad political tactics, but it’s more honourable than Johnson… if calling someone more honourable than Johnson isn’t damning with faint praise.
    Nope, he didn’t say that the PM should resign for getting an FPN, he said that the PM should resign for being under investigation for the offence that resulted in the FPN.

Now that he’s under investigation himself, for the same offence, he’s remarkably quiet about it.
    Ever since BJ was fined, Starmer has said BJ should resign because he received an FPN.

Should he have called for BJ’s resignation when he was still just under investigation? Perhaps not. I’m not arguing Starmer is perfect. I didn’t vote for him and I live in his constituency. But on the topic of the possibility he might resign, which was where we started, I respect he has applied the same rules to himself as to others.
    Getting a FPN for a slice of cake in your office should be as much of a resignation offence as a FPN for a speeding offence. Less maybe, speeding kills.

Parties yes, but nobody sane would call cake at the office at lunchtime a party.

I called for Boris to go, but I expected him to be fined for more than a frigging cake.
    I've decided, when I plan my first act of gross villainy, I will chose the Met Police area. They couldn't prosecute a piss up in lockdown with photographs.
    Can Durham Police prosecute one with video evidence?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Don’t forget that the birthday cake wasn’t even cut up and eaten. This was in the initial leak of the Gray report.

The PM, Chancellor and their teams were quite literally ambushed by Mrs Johnson and some junior staff with the cake.

(How is your wife, by the way?)
    She's OK thanks for asking. In pain but that's to be expected.

A witness has come forward with a partial reg plate so hopefully they catch the bugger who hit her.
    Good to hear. A physical trauma often takes a day or so to physically present itself, it’s common to feel fine after a trauma but to feel totally crap the next day.

You need to make a total arse of yourself locally. Go into any business close to the scene, or that might have been close to the path of the car, and ask about their CCTV. Then ask the police if they have spoken to each of these business (by name) and document their reply. Go to the local paper and see if they can publicise the incident.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The Nat West 3 and their supporters thought it very unfair the Americans prosecuted. They had carefully undertaken their crime so as to be just outside the scope of the CPS - Couldn't Prosecute Satan and the SFO - Serious Farce Office.

Facing a prosecution that was capable of finding evidence and presenting it to a jury was horribly unfair.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    “The impact of poverty, and the impact of lack of opportunity for people, does lead to an increase in crime. There’s no two ways about that,” Andy Cooke

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/18/officers-should-use-discretion-over-stealing-to-eat-says-uk-police-watchdog

Except it really isn't as simple as that....when times are good and plenty of opportunities, you often find crime rises, because the majority have money, they get lots of new stuff, and so there is incentive for people to go nicking it. And same with drug use, people have money, they party more, they want their coke, they fuels the gang fighting for the lucrative markets, etc. When people don't have much, they sit at home watching the programmes on their old telly with an old car out the front.

We heard these claims around 2008 and early years of Coalition, with claims austerity would lead to poverty which leads to crime.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I don't get this attitude. Over 100 FPN's have been issued.

I've also just heard something on R5 about participants not getting multiple FPNs because they had no opportunity to change their behaviour retrospectively, something I have commented on before. If the police had intervened in the first instance, the rest would have been less likely.

Sue Gray will be interesting. I think it may underwhelm with regard to the PM.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Looks like you're having a great time. My day is office -> baby shift -> bed (If I'm lucky) at the moment :D
    Got lots of hassle in my life at the moment. From family to work to the State of the Bloody World. If I focused on that I’d probably lurch into desperate anxiety

And yet, moment by moment, this is indeed fun. I just had a glass of cold wine in the mountaintop Vlach village, served from a metal jug, and I felt the brief passing shadow of pure happiness: like a beautiful but rare bird of prey: soaring, then gone
  • Options

“The impact of poverty, and the impact of lack of opportunity for people, does lead to an increase in crime. There’s no two ways about that,” Andy Cooke

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/18/officers-should-use-discretion-over-stealing-to-eat-says-uk-police-watchdog

Except it really isn't as simple as that....when times are good and plenty of opportunities, you often find crime rises, because the majority have money, they get lots of new stuff, and so there is incentive for people to go nicking it. And say with drug use, people have money, they party, they want their coke, they fuels the gang fighting for the lucrative markets, etc.

We heard these claims around 2008 and early years of Coalition, with claims austerity would lead to poverty which leads to crime.

Property came has fallen in many areas of the Western world. Experts think that

- Cars are much less stealable.
    - The nature of personal possessions has changed - jewellery has pivoted to art rather than materials for most, expensive watches are less common etc.
    - The possessions that have some resale value are phone, laptops and some games consoles.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Except it really isn't as simple as that....when times are good and plenty of opportunities, you often find crime rises, because the majority have money, they get lots of new stuff, and so there is incentive for people to go nicking it. And say with drug use, people have money, they party, they want their coke, they fuels the gang fighting for the lucrative markets, etc.

- The nature of personal possessions has changed - jewellery has pivoted to art rather than materials for most, expensive watches are less common etc.
    - The possessions that have some resale value are phone, laptops and some games consoles.
    Not sure about cars being less easy to steal...also expensive watches are a massive market.

I agree about personal possessions having less value, but good example PS5, hard to get, people paying silly money for them, lots of incidents of people being robbed for them. When times are tough, people aren't paying 2x sticker price to get one, they are playing their PS4 instead.

Past 5 years we seen the same with big rise in collectibles likes sneakers, pokemon cards etc. Rare dogs as well getting nicked. Again, tough times, less people splashing out £500 on a pair of rare Nikes, nobody is interested in nicking £50 pair of Vans or £20 bargain basement knock-off brand.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It all depends on Starmer's defence.

Johnson was at parties that others got FPNs for. His defence was he didn't know he was at a party, and the Met bought it.

The other issue in Starmer's favour is the Cummings precedent of non issuing retrospective FPNs. Starmer's FPN might look like partisanship.

My gut instinct is Durham will give both Starmer and Rayner each an FPN.

Partygate and Johnson's non- involvement still smells far worse than Beergate however many FPNs are issued to Starmer.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cake kills. If you throw it hard enough.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dwarf battle bread can be lethal
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,478

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

That’s just nasty.

Last time I looked French Elections were on a fixed timetable :smile:

The last 2 were:

23 April and 7 May 2017
    10 and 24 April 2022

So I'd speculate around the end of April 2027.

In the meantime Mr Macron will continue his performing seal act, whilst portraying that the approx. half of EU countries who do not share his new empire vision are just a couple of disrupters in the way of history.

Personally, I think we may get a 6th Republic before long.
  • Options
    Apparently the cost to the MET has been 460,000 pounds.

Money NOT well spent.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    "By God, sir, I've lost my leg",
    "By God, sir, so you have, and to a particularly ferocious Battenberg".
  • Options

Not sure about cars being less easy to steal...also expensive watches are a massive market.

I agree about personal possessions having less value, but good example PS5, hard to get, people paying silly money for them, lots of incidents of people being robbed for them. When times are tough, people aren't paying 2x sticker price to get one, they are playing their PS4 instead.

Past 5 years we seen the same with big rise in collectibles likes sneakers, pokemon cards etc.
    The days when you could take a car by playing with some wires are ending. Many will only start if you have a key with crypto in it matching the vehicle. Hence thieves targeting the keys.

The majority of homes now have very little of re-sale value. The commonest resalable thing in your house is probably the bikes, if any.

The result of all this, is that burglary is now done by gangs who do 20 houses a day - to try and get some money out of it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not to mention the damage it can do to Shatner's Bassoon.....
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Why on gods green earth would you ever make it public you have won £180 million on the lottery and do a press conference?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The injured party can always fall back on torte law for damages.
  • Options

There’s a lot of evidence that street muggings went down massively, when Apple made stolen iPhones useless.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Past 5 years we seen the same with big rise in collectibles likes sneakers, pokemon cards etc.
    The days when you could take a car by playing with some wires are ending. Many will only start if you have a key with crypto in it matching the vehicle. Hence thieves targeting the keys.

The majority of homes now have very little of re-sale value. The commonest resalable thing in your house is probably the bikes, if any.

The result of all this, is that burglary is now done by gangs who do 20 houses a day - to try and get some money out of it.
    Keyless entry cars are incredibly vulnerable using the relay trick. Can be deployed while you are at home or out and about. So much so, a lot of insurers of high end cars now demand you get something like "Ghost" fitted.
  • Options

Why on gods green earth would you ever make it public you have won £180 million on the lottery and do a press conference?

"to demonstrate I am considerably richer than you....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk
  • Options

You have to to get the money, if you forget to tick the no publicity box I think.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That's the point though. He's trying to make being more honourable than Boz some sort of fabulous trait. It's not aiming for the stars is it.
    He's making the mistake of thinking that means his resignation would carry some positive reaction. It won't.
    I agree. I sort of think one should be 100% pincipled, or 100% unprincipled. Then people know what they're getting. Having 'some principles' isn't worth much.
    Neither is "sort of thinking". :smile:
    On the contrary, it's good to express an idea when it's not fully formed, on a debating platform like this.
  • Options

Why on earth would you sue, in the law courts, an ex-friend who betrayed a confidence?
  • Options

Maybe they enjoy being constantly begged for money?
  • Options

Money NOT well spent.

That's a lot of people not stopped for DrivingAnExpensiveCarWhileBlack.
  • Options

Money NOT well spent.

Oh, they've been stopped too.

Overtime.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I was going to say that. You've stollen my line
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Money NOT well spent.

Overtime.
    The Met will have had 460K less to spend on overtime.

Hard times for Chief Inspector Savage.
  • Options

I imagine that for most people it would be very hard to explain to friends, family and acquaintances why you have suddenly upgraded from your Gloucester semi and Passat to an Elizabethan Cotswolds mansion, Range Rover and Aston and buying your family houses etc without it being clear you have won.

So you can either hope to at least control the news or someone tips off the papers and you are doorstepped etc.

But otherwise you wouldn’t want anyone to know if you could help it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Past 5 years we seen the same with big rise in collectibles likes sneakers, pokemon cards etc. Rare dogs as well getting nicked. Again, tough times, less people splashing out £500 on a pair of rare Nikes, nobody is interested in nicking £50 pair of Vans or £20 bargain basement knock-off brand.
    PS5 scalpers are currently in the process of getting burned by Sony who have sent over a huge shipment. On average they're taking a 10% loss vs the RRP after fees and shipping costs. They're going to have to liquidate quickly or they're competing with RRP on it in shops.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I've also just heard something on R5 about participants not getting multiple FPNs because they had no opportunity to change their behaviour retrospectively, something I have commented on before. If the police had intervened in the first instance, the rest would have been less likely.

Your second paragraph is an outrageous cop out.

Yesterday I got caught doing 40 mph is a 30 zone. Today I was also doimg 40mph in a 30 zone. Tomorrow I will receive an invitation to attend a speed awareness course. Can I ignore Today's offence as I have had no opportunity to change my behaviour retrospectively?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Why on earth would you sue, in the law courts, an ex-friend who betrayed a confidence?
    She betrayed the betrayal of a confidence strictly speaking
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"stollen my line" - is that your Fault Line Cake that he's stollen?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

You have to to get the money, if you forget to tick the no publicity box I think.
    Are Camelot that much of a bastard outfit that if you say please please I really want to do it, we are worried for our safety, they would still force you to do some sort of public appearance, all because you forgot to tick one box?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Your second paragraph is an outrageous cop out.

Yesterday I got caught doing 40 mph is a 30 zone. Today I was also doimg 40mph in a 30 zone. Tomorrow I will receive an invitation to attend a speed awareness course. Can I ignore Today's offence as I have had no opportunity to change my behaviour retrospectively?
    It might be an outrageous cop out, but I think thats what was said. I also note that it does have precedence in speeding cases (for instance three times on one road in one journey is often not converted into 9 points or more).
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You had your chance, were too slow and now it’s scone.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Johnson was at parties that others got FPNs for. His defence was he didn't know he was at a party, and the Met bought it.

The other issue in Starmer's favour is the Cummings precedent of non issuing retrospective FPNs. Starmer's FPN might look like partisanship.

Partygate and Johnson's non- involvement still smells far worse than Beergate however many FPNs are issued to Starmer.
    But Labour will be plunged into a fresh civil war as the Corbynites sense a chance to get their agenda back to the fore - whilst the rest squabble about who will get control, made all the more intense because they will think they can win the next election. Thereby ensuring such a shit-fest they, er, don't win the next election....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It is or used to be rife amongst the yoof. Or at least so said this documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tMvxV-GC4
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dreadful puns incoming - battenburg the hatches.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

biggles said:

BUT

This is something that doesn't get nearly enough recognition a change of government requires both the government to be unpopular and the oppsotion to be popular. Without the latter you get 1992 or, at best, 2010.
    See also 2005.

In 2010 Cameron was popular but voters did not quite trust the Tories with a majority yet so put them in with the LDs in a hung parliament.

On current polling Starmer is certainly more popular than Corbyn and Ed Miliband but voters again don't quite trust Labour with a majority yet so will also put them in with the LDs in a hung parliament
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PS5 scalpers are currently in the process of getting burned by Sony who have sent over a huge shipment. On average they're taking a 10% loss vs the RRP after fees and shipping costs. They're going to have to liquidate quickly or they're competing with RRP on it in shops.
    Well it had to come to an end eventually. Its been 2 years.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Disqualified for repetition.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    boulay said:

I imagine that for most people it would be very hard to explain to friends, family and acquaintances why you have suddenly upgraded from your Gloucester semi and Passat to an Elizabethan Cotswolds mansion, Range Rover and Aston and buying your family houses etc without it being clear you have won.

So you can either hope to at least control the news or someone tips off the papers and you are doorstepped etc.

Others have managed to stay anonymous after big wins. I presume by not going nutso out of the gate. Instead gradual upgrade of the car and house etc. Also if you wait a few months, another big jackpot comes along and the press have moved on.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Gateau look at you.
  • Options

Money NOT well spent.

Overtime.

The Met will have the brass neck to ask Downing Street for an additional 460K for, er, investigating Downing Street.

"We had no choice but to incur the extra costs to do it, or we would have been criticised for favouring one party over another. As it were...."

• Options
    boulay said:

I once knew a bloke whose job it was to counsel lottery winners. He said that all the "official" advice was to remain anonymous but that many/most people wanted to go public because they wanted to show people (family/friends/twitter users/whoever) that all this money wouldn't change them and they would still be the same old Ted and Barbara that everyone has always known at quiz night down the Dog & Duck.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Gateau look at you.
    I think the expression is gateau ver yerself....
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Hopefully Luckyguy can get a turnover on appeal.
  • Options

Err, the most likely thing to be taken in a burglary is the car itself. Bonus points if you can resend the remote keycode and start the car without entering the house.

If you have a car where the door opens and the car starts on a button because you have a token in your pocket, be aware that that signal can be amplified from some way away.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It is or used to be rife amongst the yoof. Or at least so said this documentary.

Should we club together and send Boris one of these?

https://www.redmolotov.com/say-no-to-cake
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Err, the most likely thing to be taken in a burglary is the car itself. Bonus points if you can resend the remote keycode and start the car without entering the house.

If you have a car where the door opens and the car starts on a button because you have a token in your pocket, be aware that that signal can be amplified from some way away.
    Given how flawed the keyless entry systems are and the vulnerability is widely known (and not been fixed), I am surprised there hasn't been some sort of class action.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Oh no, really? Did not read that apologies to the originator.

Um, can we broaden this out to all puddings? Otherwise I'm a trifle stuck for ideas.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Um, can we broaden this out to all puddings? Otherwise I'm a trifle stuck for ideas.
    Makes sense, given that it all started with a big Eton mess.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yup - which is why quite alot of burglaries were try and grab car keys in the hall. And that's it.

A few crap security systems apart (disable the stupid auto-unlock systems, FFS), an increasing percentage of cars won't run without the assigned keys.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

I once knew a bloke whose job it was to counsel lottery winners. He said that all the "official" advice was to remain anonymous but that many/most people wanted to go public because they wanted to show people (family/friends/twitter users/whoever) that all this money wouldn't change them and they would still be the same old Ted and Barbara that everyone has always known at quiz night down the Dog & Duck.
    They would probably have been better waiting quietly for a few weeks and then telling friends and family they had won a smaller jackpot so they could justify spending but without the attention and jealousy surrounding a huge win.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I don’t get what the Met has done here.
    Forget Boris for a second, Simon Case has not received an FPN either.

Lots of junior civil servants have, however.

It requires some explanation. Maybe the Sue Gray report will illuminate.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Should we club together and send Boris one of these?

https://www.redmolotov.com/say-no-to-cake
    You'd be struggling with a size to cover all that muscle.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Carnyx said:

Are Camelot that much of a bastard outfit that if you say please please I really want to do it, we are worried for our safety, they would still force you to do some sort of public appearance, all because you forgot to tick one box?
    It's such an insane thing to do, to my thinking, I can't see why anyone would want to do it ... but others have provided other views.

I may, on reflection, be thinking of the football pools my granny did, or some more modern equivalent. There was certainly some sort of no publicity tickbox, in small print, in such things at one time.

Edit: but you may have a further point. These days it's computers which do all the work, so you can nail them on personal info legislation if they won't play ball.
  • Options

Money NOT well spent.

Overtime.

The Met will have the brass neck to ask Downing Street for an additional 460K for, er, investigating Downing Street.

"We had no choice but to incur the extra costs to do it, or we would have been criticised for favouring one party over another. As it were...."

No, they well ask for 460M - because catching up with their backlog of DrivingAnExpensiveCarWhileBlack will take a lot of overtime....
  • Options
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Makes sense, given that it all started with a big Eton mess.
    If I was doing 40 MPH in a 30 zone two days in a row I couldn't complain if I was pavlovad by the police.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It's such an insane thing to do, to my thinking, I can't see why anyone would want to do it ... but others have provided other views.

I may, on reflection, be thinking of the football pools my granny did, or some more modern equivalent. There was certainly some sort of no publicity tickbox, in small print, in such things at one time.
    I'm pretty sure from what I've read in the past that you choose publicity or not after the prize win is confirmed, but you don't get Camelot's support with the press if you choose "no publicity" because they can't acknowledge to the press that you are the winner. At least, according to this: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/why-do-lottery-winners-go-public-.html

The most common reason for going public seems to be "well, everyone will find out anyway".
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That’s brûlée-ant.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,137

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

What about hesitation and deviancy ?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

@Leon's got the latter covered, and I paused before replying...
  • Options
    Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I think the Tory parliamentary party have that covered these last months.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I’m getting my PS5 on payday this month. It’s happened almost overnight, at least in my part of the world, that there’s suddenly a lot of genuine store supply of them.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    Leon said:

Drunk again! :wink:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,510
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Not sure about the tattoo, but you look pretty good for a 50 something. Quite convincing tuck too.
    Who's the clapped out old thing on the rock behind ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I’m getting my PS5 on payday this month. It’s happened almost overnight, at least in my part of the world, that there’s suddenly a lot of genuine store supply of them.
    I haven't bothered getting a next gen console yet. However, when games using UE5 start to appear, I think there will be a huge graphical leap forward that will only work on these consoles (and of course PC).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yup - which is why quite alot of burglaries were try and grab car keys in the hall. And that's it.

A few crap security systems apart (disable the stupid auto-unlock systems, FFS), an increasing percentage of cars won't run without the assigned keys.
    Then the cutting-edge auto manufacturers decided that your phone could be the car key.

Whoops.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/05/new-bluetooth-hack-can-unlock-your-tesla-and-all-kinds-of-other-devices/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Not sure about the tattoo, but you look pretty good for a 50 something. Quite convincing tuck too.
    Tollund man?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I'm informed by some ex-colleagues that they secured a lot of 7nm wafer capacity at the end of last year which lines up with shipping around now and they also think they're going to get around 20% more 6nm wafers this year which will enable around 50-60% more units produced. Supposedly the Japanese government helped smooth the way with backing for a Sony/TSMC JV to make 6nm and 4nm chips in Japan from 2024.
  • Options
    Hopefully not too long until 4090s graphics cards are released....although my electricity bill will probably treble running it!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But Labour will be plunged into a fresh civil war as the Corbynites sense a chance to get their agenda back to the fore - whilst the rest squabble about who will get control, made all the more intense because they will think they can win the next election. Thereby ensuring such a shit-fest they, er, don't win the next election....
    You do not read enough PB. Several posters are convinced Corbyn would have won in 2017 had it not been for the Blairites and were only pipped by a mere Conservative majority of 80 in 2019.

Personally, I believe Starmer is damaged by Beergate and should already be gone. Don't forget uber-Corbynista Rayner goes too.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the Blairites now have a reasonable control over what happens in the party post Starmer.

Whatever happens with Beergate, it doesn't make Johnson and his cotorie any less odious than they appeared before.

As an aside, I do feel for Sunak. Now he really was ambushed by cake.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Then the cutting-edge auto manufacturers decided that your phone could be the car key.

Whoops.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/05/new-bluetooth-hack-can-unlock-your-tesla-and-all-kinds-of-other-devices/
    That's only a problem in you enable the stupid feature that unlocks your car automatically, when you are near it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,510
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Got lots of hassle in my life at the moment. From family to work to the State of the Bloody World. If I focused on that I’d probably lurch into desperate anxiety

And yet, moment by moment, this is indeed fun. I just had a glass of cold wine in the mountaintop Vlach village, served from a metal jug, and I felt the brief passing shadow of pure happiness: like a beautiful but rare bird of prey: soaring, then gone
    I hope you can return to the blithe spirit we all know and envy.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,172
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Edit: but you may have a further point. These days it's computers which do all the work, so you can nail them on personal info legislation if they won't play ball.
    Some people do keep quiet, but you have to consider the unusual circumstances and incentives. Camelot will be desperate for people to go public, because it gets more publicity for the win and sells more lottery tickets.

So the people who are handing you £180m are also telling you why it makes sense to go public with the win. I believe they also offer free financial advice if you agree to go public.

I can easily imagine feeling that all my troubles had ended on winning a jackpot, and not wanting to create trouble by disagreeing with the very kind people arranging for the payment of nearly two hundred million pounds.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

I think Boris Johnson's chances are almost entirely in the hands of the Russian leadership and the Ukrainian people.

If Putin falls, Russia withdraws from Ukraine, and the oil and gas starts flowing again, the cost of living crisis will rapidly dissipate, and Boris will be a hero. In this scenario, I agree completely that Boris is highly likely to be reelected.

On the other hand, if the conflict drags on, people's utility bills rise sharply, cutting disposable spending, and pushing the UK into a recession, then I suspect he will be lucky to avoid a drubbing.
    Indeed so. The one thing within his control is to keep up arming the Ukranians, and make sure the $33bn of promised US kit makes it to the front lines.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Tollund man?
    Watching the pointing hands
    Of country people,
    Not knowing their tongue.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Some people do keep quiet, but you have to consider the unusual circumstances and incentives. Camelot will be desperate for people to go public, because it gets more publicity for the win and sells more lottery tickets.

So the people who are handing you £180m are also telling you why it makes sense to go public with the win. I believe they also offer free financial advice if you agree to go public.

I can easily imagine feeling that all my troubles had ended on winning a jackpot, and not wanting to create trouble by disagreeing with the very kind people arranging for the payment of nearly two hundred million pounds.
    I am pretty sure Camelot provide advice and guidance especially surrounding the financial aspect regardless of if you go public or not. I think it is part of their operating licence, as its a terrible look if winners get scammed or blow it all and go broke.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You do not read enough PB. Several posters are convinced Corbyn would have won in 2017 had it not been for the Blairites and were only pipped by a mere Conservative majority of 80 in 2019.

Personally, I believe Starmer is damaged by Beergate and should already be gone. Don't forget uber-Corbynista Rayner goes too.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the Blairites now have a reasonable control over what happens in the party post Starmer.

Whatever happens with Beergate, it doesn't make Johnson and his cotorie any less odious than they appeared before.

As an aside, I do feel for Sunak. Now he really was ambushed by cake.
    I don't think that "Blairites" is the right name - they are not, in general, worshippers of the Throne of Blair.

"Social democrats" is probably more accurate.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,539
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I was about to express my commiserations, then I realised that I'd misread and it wasn't your P45 you received on payday, but a PS5 - whatever that is.
  • Options
    Death Rigby really laying it on thick with the FPN story....that would be rule breaker Rigby.
This discussion has been closed.